The Golden Age of Strength.

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

The Golden Age of Strength.

Post by Nillaman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:26 pm

In the beginning, if you had Strength, you could do just about anything. Stopping a train by planting your feet and ripping a steel door of it's hinges were only the beginning.

Men could punch holes in space to travel to different dimensions. Coal could be squeezed in the palm of your hand to make a diamond. Grabbing your shoelaces and pulling could lift you off the ground!

Tell me, what's the strangest Golden Age feat of Strength you can imagine?
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: The Golden Age of Strength.

Post by danelsan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:09 pm

Nillaman wrote:In the beginning, if you had Strength, you could do just about anything. Stopping a train by planting your feet and ripping a steel door of it's hinges were only the beginning.

Men could punch holes in space to travel to different dimensions. Coal could be squeezed in the palm of your hand to make a diamond. Grabbing your shoelaces and pulling could lift you off the ground!

Tell me, what's the strangest Golden Age feat of Strength you can imagine?
Hmm...going back in time by grabbing space-time and pulling really hard?
Bending light via sheer brute force?
Pressing a fingertip somewhere with such pressure you make a miniature black hole?
Snuff out a star by clapping your hands?
Punching someone so hard that the punch hurts their family line 3 generations in the past and the future?
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

rlwr
Hireling
Hireling

Post by rlwr » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:14 pm

rerouting a river by pulling on it. hammering people into the ground like tent spikes without otherwise breaking them.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:55 pm

Nillaman wrote:Tell me, what's the strangest Golden Age feat of Strength you can imagine?
My favourite comic book version would be "Supergirl: Many Happy Returns." You get the golden age universe Supergirl in the present of our normal DC universe & she hears that here is an asteroid coming.... So you've got the (then) current Supergirl asking Golden Age Supergirl what is she doing, because it looks like she's trying to do a hand stand. The Golden Age Supergirl explains that she's not doing a hand stand, she's actually flying at the earth & trying to push the globe out of the way of the oncoming meteor, because back on a golden age earth she once saw Superman doing that.

Of course the contemporary Supergirl has to explain why that's actually impossible & also how had she succeeded it'd kill everyone on Earth.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by danelsan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:44 pm

While it can be funny and entertaining depending on execution, this sort of thing usually doesn't go well with me, because there is really no reason why that should be a problem, as long as GA supergirl is strong enough to carry such weight. If the laws of physics and biology that would make that absurd apply, then just about everything present day Supergirl does would also be impossible.

I mean, why is that ridiculous, impossible and would kill everyone, but Heat Vision is OK, a person sized hero/heroine holding a plane or or something even bigger without it breaking under its own weight or having a person shaped hole punched through it is OK, flying at enormous speed to grab a person falling from a building without the impact hurting them is OK and so on?

Edit: more on the actual subject of the thread:

Stopping an earthquake by holding the tectonic plates in place with your hands

keeping a bomb from causing destruction by holding the explosion so that it can't expand until you can safely dispose of the detonation somewhere it won't cause undue damage

Win a discussion by breaking apart your opponent's arguments. Literally.

This is starting to sound like homebrew powers for Sidereals from the Exalted RPG
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Nillaman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:10 pm

"My blood! He punched out all my blood!" - The Scout

Claire Redfield
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Claire Redfield » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:28 pm

danelsan wrote:keeping a bomb from causing destruction by holding the explosion so that it can't expand until you can safely dispose of the detonation somewhere it won't cause undue damage
The Supergirl one is funny, but this is hilarious, too. I'd love to see that.
Claire Redfield • Onyx Path Freelancer
Demon: The Descent, Blood & Smoke, Book of the Wyrm and Umbra 20

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by Doresh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:25 am

I don't think the modern alien who becomes a demigod when exposed to a type of sun her species was never intended for has the right to explain what is "realistic" to the older alien who [repeated stuff] - especially when she knows at least three dudes who can travel to other dimensions by running very fast.

(Not to mention that if you want to get really nitpicky, both wouldn't be able to lift or push anything bigger than a car without either the object snapping in half or the ground below them giving away...)

And who says the Golden Age had stupid feats of strength? Didn't Superboy-Prime punch reality so hard that Jason Todd popped back to life (a couple years aged because sure why not), because why leave Clayface playing adult Jason in "Hush" alone when you can ruin the idea? It's not like Marvel did the same thing with Magneto once (or rather his disguise that then turned out to be a real character and I don't know anymore) :roll:

thaumonuclear
Comrade
Comrade

Post by thaumonuclear » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:40 am

Didn't Ultraman just push the moon in front of the sun in Forever Evil? That's pretty much exactly what Golden-Age Supergirl was trying to do and got laughed at.

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Nillaman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Taking items and pushing them together so hard they fuse at the point of contact, requiring an equally strong or even stronger individual to get them apart once more!

I call it, Glue T. Us. ^^

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:43 pm

thaumonuclear wrote:Didn't Ultraman just push the moon in front of the sun in Forever Evil? That's pretty much exactly what Golden-Age Supergirl was trying to do and got laughed at.
Except that the moons not inhabited, has a much lower mass, orbiting a weaker source of gravity.

Electric Superman once stopped Nerons hench goblins from using magic to crash the moon into the earth, by using induction coils to single handedly hold the moon in its orbit.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by Doresh » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:25 am

Supernitpickgirl would tell you that moving around the moon has catastrophic effects on the Earth's tides and rotation :mrgreen:

King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Post by King Snarf » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:04 am

I always liked the bit in the JSA Kingdom Come story. "Did he... did he just punch lightning?!?"
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Post by pawsplay » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:08 pm

In one of the old Fleischman cartoons, Superman is being shot at by a laser. He punches it.
Kickstarter: Tripod Machine presents Do Not Approach (Super-powered by M&M)
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Nillaman » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:01 pm

I remember they punched energy beams in Crisis on Infinite Earths, the animated movie.

It was the evil Marvel Family, mind you, and they're not real prone to listening to the laws of physics.