Advice on new game

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
Half Baked
Bystander
Bystander

Advice on new game

Post by Half Baked » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:26 pm

I'm planning to start my first MnM game as a play by post on RPOL (www.rpol.net). It is meant to be a homages game where the players roleplay homages to iconic comic book characters (Superman, Wonder Woman, Captain America, Batman, Green Lantern, Thor, Spiderman, etc). Initially I was intending to start it in modern times, but discussions with one of my players led me towards starting in the WWII and the Golden Age to establish the iconic status of their characters. At the end of war move time onto the modern age, with perhaps a couple of short scenarios at significant times in between.

I intend that all the characters be built on the same PL even if this it not the case in comic book reality :wink:. I'd rather deal with a slightly overpowered Spiderman than differing power levels in the same team.

My problem is how to set up the PL and maximum power points for the characters, particularly in the Golden Age. I want the GA version of their characters to be as true as possible to feel of the era. That is quite simple power designs and the idea that most things can and should be solved with a toe to toe punch up. However, I also want the characters to have the opportunity to be the best superhumans around. Allied superhumans should be stronger and tougher than the Nazis, but the bad guys make up for it with dirty tricks, foul schemes and a complete lack of conscience.

Any suggestions on the starting PL and Power Points?

I have been toying with the idea with every character being built as a PL 8 character with 120 pp. Then giving the players another 12 pp and increasing them to PL 12. As the strongest villain in the Golden Age sourcebook is PL 11 this gives them the edge, without having the points to spend on a broad range of powers. As the campaign progresses I'd given them another 12 points along with any XP so in the end the characters get the breadth and depth of abilities the comic book characters have.

PS: I only have two players confirmed so far so anyone interested in playing can let me know.