the PERFECT PROP: Broadsheets & Newspapers

Have an M&M fan Web site? Find a great place to get superhero miniatures? Have miniature conversion tips or any other resources like that? Put 'em in here.
Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

the PERFECT PROP: Broadsheets & Newspapers

Postby Demongg » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:47 am

In my humble opinion... Newspapers are perhaps the PERFECT prop for any super hero game. No matter the era, some sort of "news" format gets told. Newspapers are the most common form. Blogs and Websites are ideas for modern campaigns.

I'd like to here your ideas on Newspapers and like props. Share your props and ideas here for everyone to borrow from.

I'm happy with what I've started with my Victorian Avengers campaign. Doing a paper a game session (aka. issue). Here's my two cents worth of notes:

• Get help writing stories, I'm lucky in that several ATT fans helped me write or come up with ideas for several of my articles used so far. But I'm going to be offering options for writing stories to my players soon.
  • Format is key. I found that I like my newspapers to look/feel authentic. 8.5"x11" papers just didn't feel right. But I didn't want to print on 11"x17" paper either, because my home printer can't do that size. However, I found that 8.5"x14" in landscape is the perfect size. It looks and "feels" right for a "broadsheet" just perfectly.
  • Do it in word. I'm a designer, so photoshop, illustrator or InDesign could be the tools I go with. But I've found that with some thought Word works fine for making your paper. The reason I go with Word is that I can open/print it from almost everywhere, from work to home to a friend's computer. Word also converts to PDF easily to make a web image of your paper.
  • Do it right. Think authentically. What do you want in the paper? What makes sense to have in the paper? What does the style/logo/masthead/text look like? Consider all that. Research for ideas. Google Images helps a great deal.
  • Hand them out in style. "GIT YER PAPEAS" I always yell in newsboy style before handing them out pre-game beginning each session. Ham it up. Make it memorable when you hand it out.
  • Post'em online. I have a wiki campaign Bible I've created and use to remind my players. Not only do I post a pic of the paper, but I also pull the text in plain text format to post that's somewhat easier to read and is searchable with the "find on this page" feature of web browsers.
  • Double-Sided and loaded with stories. I actually like making/printing my papers double-sided. Which means I need "a lot" of stories. I've figured out that I average around 7-9 stories to "fill" my pages as I have them set. That's a lot of words every session. But its worth it!
  • Drop Names, hints and Easter Eggs. I love dropping in names and easter eggs for my players to find. But I've also said many times to the PCs that these ARE in-game props. If the PCs want/need to follow a story note, go for it. I also use the paper to seed ideas for possible future adventures. Then again red herrings are fun too! And it worked - my players found "Richard Reeds" note about going into space and decided to contact him!
  • Include the PCs. Drop neat articles on them. Lead stories about them or tiny mentions they must find. Be "scandelous". Have fun. Afterall if you read it in print, its true... right? :)

anyway...
on with the show. Here are my most recent papers. I've posted old ones that are similar in the past, these are brand new for my new campaign.
Here's the link to my Campaign Wiki that has all the articles in plain text along with links to the images of the papers (below):
http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/The_Londo ... roadsheets

ISSUE (session) #1 - FRONT
ISSUE (session) #1 - REVERSE

ISSUE (session) #2 - FRONT
ISSUE (session) #2 - REVERSE

ISSUE (session) #3 - FRONT
ISSUE (session) #3 - REVERSE

Tell me what you think.
Show us yours!
thanks
-kev-

"With great power..."

Silverback
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Silverback » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:06 am

Many 'moons' ago I offered to make a couple of different templates for people to use. Unfortunately I received zero feedback so tend to wonder how many people actually use these as handouts during a game.

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby mancerbear » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:38 am

I rarely use newspaper clippings during a game, but write them up afterwards depending on how well the session and team went. My teen group tends to get positive newspaper clippings, only because it's a way I can encourge them. My adult team gets a more frank, sometimes oppostitional view.

Cheers,

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:50 pm

Silverback wrote:Many 'moons' ago I offered to make a couple of different templates for people to use. Unfortunately I received zero feedback so tend to wonder how many people actually use these as handouts during a game.

I did the same thing Silverback.
I have the idea all planned out and such but recieved no feedback.

My take on this kinda thing is that its HIGH impact for use but ultimately for many GMs its too much work. Either for being lazy or just not being proficient enough to make the graphics or write the articles.

So does that mean High Impact but not enough to make the effort?
No.
I disagree with that. To be bluntly honest, I just think people are lazy. :roll:
Its really not that hard and makes a BIG bang in the games.

mancerbear wrote:I rarely use newspaper clippings during a game, but write them up afterwards depending on how well the session and team went. My teen group tends to get positive newspaper clippings, only because it's a way I can encourge them. My adult team gets a more frank, sometimes oppostitional view.

Cheers,

I think that's perfectly fine to do. Do you hand them out from the previous game at the beginning of the next?

I like the idea of ways to USE the newspaper for different types of teams. Heck, this could be a great PDF supplement. :wink:
-kev-

"With great power..."

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby mancerbear » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:53 pm

Demongg wrote:
mancerbear wrote:I rarely use newspaper clippings during a game, but write them up afterwards depending on how well the session and team went. My teen group tends to get positive newspaper clippings, only because it's a way I can encourge them. My adult team gets a more frank, sometimes oppostitional view.

Cheers,

I think that's perfectly fine to do. Do you hand them out from the previous game at the beginning of the next?

I like the idea of ways to USE the newspaper for different types of teams. Heck, this could be a great PDF supplement. :wink:

Thanks mate,

I email them out, normally the day after the session...that way the guys open up their email, and there's the clipping form them to read and discuss.

And you're right, it would mane an interesting PDF suppliment.

Cheers

Silverback
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Silverback » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:33 pm

Demongg wrote:. . . or just not being proficient enough to make the graphics or write the articles.

They don't even have to be all that proficient!

The lazy mans guide to producing a 'newspaper'

1) Decide what the headline will read.
2) Use the Lorem Ipsum generator to create the article content.
3) Use one of the following resources for creating your newspaper clipping - The Newspaper Clipping Generator, Newspaper Headline Generator, Newspaper Clipping Image Generator 2007 or Create a newspaper using Microsoft Word
4) Print it out.

These suggestions are not suitable for those who truly cannot be bothered!

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:43 pm

Silverback wrote:
These suggestions are not suitable for those who truly cannot be bothered!

Nice.
Good resources to note. I like making mine custom though.

But otherwise
You'd be surprised though at how many people can't be bothered.

I don't game with those people... ;)
-kev-

"With great power..."

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby mancerbear » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:43 pm

This is the one I use, and I think its' great :)

Cheers,

Silverback
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Silverback » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:52 pm

I've often wondered whether more people would create their own newspapers if I designed the logos for Freedom City's media companies.

Probably not. :roll:

mancerbear
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby mancerbear » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:53 pm

You never know Silverback. I don't play in the Freedom Universe, so I wouldn't use them... the primary newspaper in my game is the Federation Globe, followed by it's rival, the Daily Star.

Cheers,

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:03 am

mancerbear wrote:You never know Silverback. I don't play in the Freedom Universe, so I wouldn't use them... the primary newspaper in my game is the Federation Globe, followed by it's rival, the Daily Star.

Cheers,

Ditto...
'cept mine is the LONDON TRUMPET - "For all the news that's fit to print! - Across the Empire here the Trumpet's call!! - Long live the Queen."
-kev-

"With great power..."

Silverback
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Silverback » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:19 am

Demongg wrote:. . . 'cept mine is the LONDON TRUMPET . . .

Do I feel a Monty Python sketch coming soon? ;)

When did it change from The Daily Trumpet? And have you tried using Times Roman or Garamond instead of Courier for your newspaper font?

Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Demongg » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:26 am

Silverback wrote:
Demongg wrote:. . . 'cept mine is the LONDON TRUMPET . . .

Do I feel a Monty Python sketch coming soon? ;)

When did it change from The Daily Trumpet? And have you tried using Times Roman or Garamond instead of Courier for your newspaper font?

Crap... no - its still the Daily Trumpet.
I chose Courier just because it looked more appropriate when printed.
-kev-

"With great power..."

Silverback
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Silverback » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:42 pm

Demongg wrote:Crap... no - its still the Daily Trumpet.

Are you sure you're not developing a Monty Python sketch?

Demongg wrote:I chose Courier just because it looked more appropriate when printed.

Give Garamond a shot and see if you can find some very pale recycled salmon pink paper to print on. It may look even more effective.

Crimster
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Crimster » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:55 am

Heck, *I* would use 'em Silverback. I run a Freedom City game. :)

Return to “Fan Resources”