Fistful of Nazis, 3E Combat Examples

This is the catch-all forum, for Mutants & Masterminds threads that you're not quite sure where to put.
grimmshade
Disciple
Disciple

Fistful of Nazis, 3E Combat Examples

Post by grimmshade » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:42 pm

This is a thread for sharing combat tests with various 3e/DCA characters.

Feel free to do with it what you will.
The Standard so far for the tests enemies has been:
6 "Soldier stats" nazis with submachineguns, 1 soldier with a Panzerfaust (rocket launcher), and 1 tank (with a crew of 5, including the machine-gunner)

Here are the Tests run by myself so far:

Don't know if it helps but ran Superman against a squad of 6 Nazi's, a man with a Panzerfaust, and a Tiger Tank last night. Superman rolled terrible initiative, was impervious to the 6 submachineguns, took a lucky hit from the Panzerfaust and received a -1 toughness injury, was impervious to the tank machine gun, and was missed by a tank shell (impervious to area explosion). Superman flew to the squad, (power stunted an area snare off his super speed), and grabbed a barbed wire roll and proceeded to wrap the 6 soldiers up. He took a hit from the tank, but shrugged it off with a toughness save. Panzerfaust guy pulled out a submachinegun and Superman melted it with heat vision. Tank missed him and he was impervious to the area explosion. Superman bent the tanks canon and that was the end.

Wonder Woman wins initiative and lassos the tank, swinging it into the unfortunate soldier with the panzerfaust. WW buys an extra action with Extra Effort, spins around and tosses the tank off into the distance. Using "aid" actions the soldiers fire their mp40 submachineguns at WW, and one manages to score a hit, however her bracelets block the 4 damage of the guns. WW uses her HP to cancel the fatigue from extra effort and then moves into the squad of soldiers. She then beats them all senseless while deflecting thier smg's with her bracelets.

Batman wins initiative, fires a bat grapple and swings onto the tank, tossing some sleep gas pellets into the squad of soldiers as he passes. 3 of the 6 soldiers cough and fall asleep. The other 3 fire and miss. Panzerfaust guy is afraid to fire at his own tank, but the tanks machine-gunner opens up at close range! Hitting a multiattack with 1 success for damage 6. Batman dodges but a bullet grazes him for -1 toughness. Batman kicks the gunner in the face, knocking him down into the tank, and jumps in after him. The crew attack Batman, one of them grabbing a wrench, but Batman takes them all down in hth combat. (Takedown) Batman pops up from the tank turret and sends a power attack batarang into the head of the Panzerfaust soldier. The 3 remaining soldiers fire at Batman who has cover in the tanks turret, and miss. Batman intimidates them as a move action, demoralizing them, and then tosses a flashbang, which blinds 2 of them. The remaining one fires wildly and misses Batman. Batman leaps amongst them and takes them all out with hth moves. (Takedown)

Green Arrow barely wins Initiative. He fires a knockout gas arrow among the nazi squad, but the wind disperses it quickly and they all are unaffected. Ollie quickly dives into the brush and makes a Stealth check. The soldiers get a +5 advantage to spot him since they saw where he ducked in, but only 1 manages to spot him, the rest fire blindly and they all miss. The tank machine gunner drills the brush with rounds but also misses. The tank blasts the brush with a shell, but Ollie avoids the blast with his toughness. Panzerfaust fires into the brush as well, and Ollies toughness gets him out of it again.

Ollie pops up from the brush (rolling Acrobatics to Stand as a free action) and fires another knockout arrow. This time 4 soldiers stumble and fall asleep. Green Arrow uses Extra Effort and takes another action. he sights in the Machine-gunner and lets fly. The gunner has partial cover but this means nothing to Ollie, and the gunner is taken out. Ollie makes an athletics roll to run to the tank, gaining partial cover vs the other soldiers. Panzerfaust guy drops his launcher and draws his MP40 and fires with the remaining 2 squad members. They all miss, some bullets bouncing off the tank. The tank spins, trying to knock Ollie prone, but he easily moves with the tank. one of the crew climbs up the turret and drops a potatoe masher grenade on Green Arrows position. Ollie takes some shrapnel (-1 Penalty).

Ollie hides behind the tank and takes a shot at the grenade happy nazi on top, and takes him out. The squad can't shoot him as he has total cover. The tank fails to shake him by spinning.

Ollie climbs atop the tank and fires in a knockout arrow. 1 crew member falls asleep, leaving 2 in the tank. The 3 soldiers on the ground fire at him but he dodges.

Using move-by-attack and an acrobatics roll, Ollie grabs the lip of the turret, swings in, kicks one nazi in the head, and flips back out. The 3 on the ground continue to spray bullets at Green Arrow ineffectively. Ollie puts an arrow into the last of the tanks crew. More bullets richochete around the tank.

Ollie zeros in on the pin in one of the remaining soldiers grenades and lets an arrow fly. His aim is true and the pin is pulled by the arrow. The nazi smiles, thinking Ollie missed him, and then the grenade detonates, taking down the 3 remaining soldiers.
Last edited by grimmshade on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grimmshade
Disciple
Disciple

Re: Fistful of Nazis, compiled 3E/DCA combat tests

Post by grimmshade » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:44 pm

And here are the tests run by Advocate Jack so far:

Martian Manhunter

J'onn lost Initiative and a whopping 4 soldiers managed to shoot him. Which would have been great if they could have hurt him. I was nice and decided the guy who rolled a 1 didn't shoot his buddies, but I did figure his gun jammed.

The tank and panzerfaust missed him.

Then J'onn turned blasted the panzerfaust with his Martian Vision and he went right down. Then J'onn turned invisible (I figured he had his variable effect configured this way but didn't have the invisibility turned on)

J'onn wins Initiative and flies up over the soldiers and behind the tank. I have him hold his action until the Nazis go for dramatic effect and because that's the kind of patient guy he is.

The Nazis fired blindly and pretty much hit what you'd expect, the one guy clears his jammed gun instead of firing. The tank's main gun didn't get to fire because they had no way of even trying to target the invisible guy behind them, but I was nice and let the machine gunner fire blindly for all the good it did them.

Then J'onn hits the back of the tank with a Power Attack. Say goodbye to the tank as J'onn rips through it. I also figure he drops invisibility because it's more impressive and switches to max Density under his array.

Next round. Nazis handily win initiative and open fire. The (ex)tank crew even gets into the act, pulling pistols and shooting at J'onn. Two Nazis get in a solid hits but they have no chance to really hurt him with his Impervious. J'onn uses Intimidation and speaks directly into the minds of the Nazis, telling them it would be best for them to surrender. He rolls a 20 on the Intimidate! This pretty much means all the Nazis decide this sounds like a great idea, except for the Squad Leader of the Infantry- who I decided wasn't a minion for the purposes of Intimidating the group, though I did have him make a Will roll when everyone else surrendered (well him and the Tank Commander, but he rolled crappy). And he rolled his own 20! So time for foolish misguided "heroism"!

The Squad Leader wins Initiative even as the other Nazis prepare to drop their guns. I jumps for the discarded panzerfaust, hefts it and fires.

And he actually hits. Probably because J'onn was somewhat surprised by such a desperate and reckless action. The rocket sails at J'onn and strikes him directly. (Yeah, I know logically that rocket probably wasn't loaded but I was being nice to the bad guys)

J'onn needs a 15+10 to save against the rocket. He gets Toughness 15 (with Density) + 7 = 22. It's a -1 to Toughness but you really should have brought the flamethrower, Fritzy. The blast also takes out most of the tank crew and the sight of J'onn standing unharmed in the midst of the blast does nothing to convince the other troops to keep fighting. They drop their weapons and either run or throw up their arms.

J'onn, angry at the Squad Leaders disregard for his fellow soldiers, says "Enough!" and does Extra Effort to do an AE on his Telepathy for Perception Affliction 14 to open the soldier's mind to the pain of his fellow soldiers he so callously blasted.

The SL fails miserably and drops to the ground in a crying, shivering heap. Fight over. J'onn contemplates spending a Hero Point to overcome his fatigue from the Extra Effort but doesn't. Such senseless violence has left him rather tired.

The Flash missed the very first Nazi he tried to hit. Then three guys hit him, though he narrowly avoided damage with each.

Next round? Flash dropped two Nazis with Takedown. Not great, but not bad. Two more narrow hits that missed. At least the tank and panzerfaust either missed or was reluctant to fire into the middle of their own troops.

Still, fastest man alive and it was going slow. So Barry went for his Whirlwind, which took care of all the rest of the squad but one guy who managed to not be buffeted into unconsciousness. Seeing a clear shot the tank took it and hit the Flash dead on with a tank shell. More than that it rolled a 20. I figured the tank wasn't really a minion so yeah...crit. Then Flash rolled a 2 for his Toughness roll and went incapacitated.

Ow.

So crappy rolls can really ruin your day. Anyway the Nazis manage to recover eventually and even before that the remaining Nazi smashes Flash's head with his rifle butt and knocks him out. Then they tie up the Amerikaner Ubermensch with some rather heavy chains they had on the tank and are congratulating each other about their upcoming medals and promotions when the Flash finally comes around again. I give Barry another Hero Point because his life it currently sucking.

He comes to strapped to the outside of the tank like a trophy or some guy out of Road Warrior. He realizes he's in trouble and decides its time for a bit of desperation. Slipping out of the chains easily with his Insubstantial he laughs off the Nazis attempts to shoot him.

Next round, playtime is over. Turning off Insubstantial, he uses Extra Effort to do a Burst Area Str-Based Damage 10 effect as an AE. Every Nazi but one (lets say its the guy who made it last time, because that's a weird kind of synchronicity) drop. The tanks fine though.

The super-Nazi minion manages a 20! with his shot. But luckily he can't crit as a minion and the Flash avoids damage. The machine gunner on the tank opens up but to no avail. The tank gun I figure it out of position and Flash is currently too close to risk a shot.

Next round, the one Nazi goes down with an completely unnecessary 20 for Barry. I'd let him do a followup on the tank but there's not point since he can't actually bypass the armor with a punch. The tank machine gunner misses and the tank gunner fires in desperation and half panics and gets...another 20. Really?

Flash rolls with most of the hit but takes a -1 Toughness save as he is flung away and rolls to his feet (Instant Up). He's really going to need a new costume after this.

"Okay, I am tired of this" The Flash says and uses his other Hero Point to slam his vibrating hands on the tank for a Close Weaken 10 (Toughness), Affects Objects Only with Linked Close Str-Based Damage 10. The tank rolls terribly to resist this attack and, its Toughness reduced to 0 it easily shakes apart before the eyes of the stunned crew.

The crew puts up a nominal fight and is quickly defeated. But man, while dramatic that fight was harsh. Still, it did seem very comic book to me despite the problems. Flash gets nailed because...I dunno maybe he and Iris are fighting or he's worried about causing a time paradox by fighting these Nazis and bam! A minor fight becomes a more interesting, if harsh, scenario.

So I tried the Flash again to see if I could avoid the craptastic luck and actually remember to use Routine checks.

Yeah, much better. Three Nazis go down the first round to a hail of Takedown punches. No damage for Barry. Next round brings another 3 Nazis down. A rocket explodes next to Barry but he's just too fast to be hurt by it, making his save with the help of Defensive Roll.

Barry hits the panzerfaust soldier but this guy's tough and shakes it off and what's more he manages by pretty much pure luck to graze Barry with a round from his smg (-1 Toughness). The tank's machine gun jams (Rolled a 1) and the tank gun is aimed but doesn't fire with their own man so close to the Amerikaner.

Barry easily takes out the panzerfaust wielder next round as the machine gunner clears the jammed gun. The tank round exploding near him is not fun, but it doesn't actually hurt him.

Barry runs around the tank, sucking the air out of the area. Only one crew member doesn't pass out immediately. He jumps out of the tank and fires a half-hearted shot as he scrambles for air. A miss.

Running and gasping for breath the last soldier has no chance as a flash of red knocks him out.

So yeah, I figured that last fight was a fluke. Kinda fun, but this seems more representative.

Catman...

Blake smells these guys coming before they see him. In fact, he's probably been tracking these guys. He hides in nearby brush and waits. He waits for the Panzerfaust guy to pass near him and take him out silently. The Nazis turn to try and see what happened but there's nothing there.

A moment later Blake pops up nearby, the downed soldier's rocket launcher in hand. He smiles slightly as he fires into the Nazi squad. All six go down. The tank can't help but spot Catman now and opens fire. Machine gun fire hits Catman, shredding his cape a bit and causing -1 Toughness flesh wound. And making him angry. The tank shell doesn't strike close enough to do anything.

With an Acrobatic flourish Catman vaults up into the air and lands on the tank. The gunner goes down with a scream. A crewman fires a pistol up through the hatch at Blake. It connects, but his reflexes allow him to jerk his head to the side at the last moment and the shot only cuts a crease into the side of his cowl. He glares down into the tank, a grim shadow holding bloody knives. The Nazis surrender (I mean, wouldn't you?).

CENTINULL
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by CENTINULL » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:01 pm

I've found those all quite entertaining to read. I hope more people will take the time to try a Fistful of Nazis :D

Fearless Leader
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by Fearless Leader » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Nice!
The fan formerly known as 'mrfusion'

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Bombaatu » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Love this - especially the Green Arrow fight. :)

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Bombaatu » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:20 pm

Mods - can we get this thread moved to the new DC Adventures board?

Thanks!

KnightErrantJR
Comrade
Comrade

Post by KnightErrantJR » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:29 pm

These are great . . . now I want to sit down and figure out how to set up a recreation of the DC Universe Online "Who Do You Trust" trailer that is up now . . . :wink:
"How is it they live in such harmony the billions of stars - when most men can barely go a minute without declaring war in their minds about someone they know. "--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

grimmshade
Disciple
Disciple

Post by grimmshade » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:02 am

I have to work the next 3 days, so won't be able to run more till next week, unless I can squeeze in an Aquaman run through. I'd love to see someone tackle Green Lantern and Plastic Man though.

AdvocateJack
Compatriot
Compatriot

Post by AdvocateJack » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:18 am

Captain Marvel was predictably one-sided. More so than guys like Superman even due to terrible rolls for the Nazis.

The tank goes down with one punch as Marvel ignores all the other ineffective attacks.

Marvel does a power stunt to do a thunderclap style Affliction Area Attack on the other Nazis. They all fail and drop to the ground.

And done. This was simultaneously awesome and a wee bit disappointing. :)

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Bombaatu » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:12 am

AdvocateJack wrote:Captain Marvel was predictably one-sided. More so than guys like Superman even due to terrible rolls for the Nazis.

The tank goes down with one punch as Marvel ignores all the other ineffective attacks.

Marvel does a power stunt to do a thunderclap style Affliction Area Attack on the other Nazis. They all fail and drop to the ground.

And done. This was simultaneously awesome and a wee bit disappointing. :)
Yah - CM's even tougher than Superman. The tank gun can't even scratch him. With this scenario you'd have do use Penetrating attacks or Alternate Effects to even have a chance. I pictured this scenario as the Nazis threatening civilians, having the tank or Panzerfaust shooting a building behind CM and burying him in rubble, etc. - you have to hand him complications to keep him from just walking all over the Ratzis (sic). I also have an ending move in mind for CM... hope I get a chance to to this soon.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Bombaatu » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:24 pm

Captain Marvel v. Fistful of Nazis
6 soldiers (pg 267)

1 Soldier with Panzerfaust (Rocket Launcher – Rng Dmg 9, Burst Area 5, Penetrating 5) – for this scenario, the rocket is Armor Piercing but less powerful than the tank main gun.

1 Tank (5 crew) – Main Gun (Rng Dmg 10 Burst 7) + Machine Gun (Rng Multi Dmg 6)
“Holy Moley! How did I get here?” Young Billy Batson started awake and looked around. He was in a crowded room with several people of all ages. The only things he could see in common were the look of fear in their eyes and the yellow six-pointed star on their coats. “Uh-oh”, he thought. Just then, a jack-booted foot kicked in the dilapidated door and two soldiers burst in, SMGs at the ready, and began shouting in German and ushering people outside. (Captain Marvel starts this scenario with two Complications – Secret Identity and Civilians In Danger. This brings him up to 3 HP to start with).

Billy and the crowd are shooed out of the building and onto the street of the bombed-out village. “Either I woke up on a movie set or this is real!” he thought. Outside, the people were lined up against a crumbling wall – soldiers in SS uniforms covered them while others watched roads leading into town. The rumbling of diesel engine and the clack-clack of machine gun cycling drew attention to the tank sitting a short distance away on a small hill. (Billy does not see the Panzerfaust soldier as he has taken up position in an old church tower – he has partial Cover).

“I think Captain Marvel should drop in on these guys!” Billy, already at the edge of the crowd, tries to edge away as the Lieutenant in charge begin a speech. Billy can’t understand what he’s saying but from the effect it’s having on the crowd, it can’t be good. (As Billy, he doesn’t have either Beginner’s Luck or Jack-of-All-Trades – he’s going to have to do this untrained. He rolls a 13 for a total of 15 on Stealth– not bad, but still risky. He spends a HP to improve the roll: crap! Total of 14 – the 15 will have to do. The soldiers roll Perception – total of 20! Billy is seen! Billy Defends (total Dodge of 26) and runs for cover as bullets start flying! The machine gunner misses, as does 2 soldiers. A third gets lucky, though! Natural 20 – minion, so no Critical but an automatic hit. Billy’s Toughness is 1 (!) – he rolls… 19 for a total of 20! No damage!)

The bullet passed through Billy’s jacket as he dove through the window of the bombed-out building – four crumbling walls and no roof, not much cover. Two soldiers slowly advance as the others seek cover – these guys are well trained. The machine gun swivels to cover the crowd while this is going on, but the tank turret itself begins swinging towards the building.

SHAZAM!!!

The two approaching soldiers are knocked prone as Zeus’ lightning streaks from the sky, transforming young Billy Batson into the World’s Mightiest Mortal… CAPTAIN MARVEL! (Time for Initiative – CM is 18, Panzerfaust 16, soldiers 8, tank gun 5 & machine gunner 3)

(Round ONE - CM has 2 HP)
Captain Marvel soars into the air above the village. He draws their attention - “All right, you Ratzis! Give it up!!” (Complication: Young – Billy is idealistic enough to believe he can end this without further violence. Intimidate as Standard Action and I’m giving him a +2 circumstance bonus – these guys did not think they’d have to go up against a superhero! Roll is total of 20 v. the soldier’s base 0 Awareness (they don’t have Insight) – total of 7! Two degrees of success – they are demoralized (-2). I’m ruling that since CM is unaware of the Panzerfaust, he is not affected). “Kapitän Marvel! Oh, Scheiße!!” The soldiers train their weapons on him but their aim is shaky. However, up in the church tower, the Panzerfaust lines up his shot… right in the Captain’s back! (CM is vulnerable against this attack. The Panzerfaust aims (+5) and does Extra Effort to fire – Power Attack 2… 20 v DC 16! CM is hit! Normally he could shrug off even this attack but this is an extra-good hit. Toughness 19 v DC 26… 23! Captain Marvel takes a hit!)

The rocket’s warhead smashes into Captain Marvel – just like a Ratzi to shoot a guy in the back! The explosion sends him flying into another building! (Complication: Knocked back) The soldiers improve their cover and Ready an action to fire when he reappears. The tank gun takes aim on the building and collapses it on Captain Marvel! (Complication: Buried) The machine gunner continues to cover the crowd, but keeps a nervous eye on the collapsed building.

(Round TWO - CM is now at 5 HP)
“Holy Moley! I felt that!” Captain Marvel looked at the rubble weighing him down. “The Strength of Atlas will get me out of this fix!” He shrugs his mighty muscles to throw the bricks and beams off. (The weight on him is Rank 10 – 25 tons. He rolls a STR check against DC 20 – only a 22! HP to improve his roll – 34! That’s 3 degrees of success so I’m ruling that’s a free action to free himself. DC 20 Acrobatics check (thanks to JoAT) to stand for free – HP for Beginner’s Luck. Roll of 19 for a total of 26 – he’s up!) The rubble explodes out from the ruin to reveal Captain Marvel, slightly bruised by ready for action! The soldiers open up from cover! The smell of cordite fills the air but the bullets bounce off harmlessly. Several of the crowd members duck and scream as ricochets bounce over their heads! “I’d better take care of these soldiers before someone gets hurt!” (HP for Heroic Feat: Takedown). Using the Speed of Mercury, Captain Marvel sweeps through the soldier’s positions and lays them out! (Soldiers have Parry 4 (+2 for Partial Cover) and Toughness 1. CM uses Routine Attack to hit them easily. Their resistance is not up to snuff – all six drop).

(Perception 16 – CM sees the smoke trail in the air but the winds have dispersed the trail enough that he isn’t certain where the shot came from, and there are a couple of possibilities. The Panzerfaust can still attack with Surprise. GM Fiat to remove Fatigue from Extra Effort – CM gets a HP.)

Captain Marvel drops the last soldier into the pile of unconscious bodies and moves to deal with the tank. The Panzerfaust reloads, takes Aim and fires again! (Again, Extra Effort to fire and Power Attack 2. Attack of 25 v. DC 16 – hit! CM’s Toughness roll is 33 – no damage! Perception 15 – HP to improve roll, it’s now a 25. CM knows where the Panzerfaust is.) The rocket streaks out of the church tower and explodes right on Captain Marvel’s lightning bolt! The smoke clears and shows him standing there, unaffected! “Oh, Scheiße…”thinks the Panzerfaust as the World’s Mightiest Mortal looks straight at his position. “Got you!” says the good Captain as he turns towards him... then the tank fires! (Attack 12 v. DC 20 – miss! CM spends a HP for Edit Scene to have the shell hit the church the Panzerfaust is in.) The tank shell streaks over Captain Marvel’s shoulder and strikes the church. The tower leans drunkenly and the Panzerfaust falls out, barely managing to catch himself! “Hilfe!!” he shouts (Complication: Young (idealistic): CM won’t let him die if he can help it– another HP. The machine gunner holds his action until CM flies away – he has an idea.)

(Round THREE - CM has 3 HP)
Captain Marvel streaks into the air to catch the hapless Panzerfaust – he may be a dirty, rotten Nazi but he’s still a human being! He gets there just as the man loses his grip – Athletics against DC 15 to catch him – automatic success). Captain Marvel tosses away the rocket launcher and puts the shaking man on the ground. The soldier collapses. “Danke, Herr Kapitän! Danke!” he exclaims. The tank’s main gun whirs and takes aim, but the gunner is unwilling to fire so close to his ally. “Enough!” shouts a heavily accented voice. “Surrender or I will open fire on zees animals!” Captain Marvel slowly turns to see the machine gunner leveling his gun at the helpless crowd. (No HP – CM already got one for their presence.)

(Round FOUR - CM still has 3 HP)
The Courage of Achilles filled Captain Marvel’s heart, along with a slow but mighty anger. Threatening helpless people was going too far! “No.” he said. (CM spends a HP for Heroic Feat: Interpose.) The gunner’s finger tightened on the trigger, intending to slaughter the crowd. A blur of red and gold flashed thru the air and the bullets bounced harmlessly off his chest. “Time to end this, Fritz!” He moves forward and lays his hand on the tank - SHAZAM!!! (Extra Effort: Alternate Effect (Burst Area Affliction 19 [Impaired, Disabled, Incapacitated]– Magic Lightning)). The Power of Zeus slammed from the heavens and struck the tank, electrifying it. The gunner was partially insulated by standing on his chair (natural 20 on his Dodge!) but it was to no avail – all five of the tank’s crew are rendered unconscious! Captain Marvel takes a quick breather and sees to the villagers. (No need to spend a HP to overcome Fatigue or heal up - this will take care of itself in a couple minutes)

Final tally – Captain Marvel has one hit and 2 Hero Points left. This played nicely!

Edit: rechecked HP tally, slight change on CM's final action.
Last edited by Bombaatu on Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.

grimmshade
Disciple
Disciple

Post by grimmshade » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Wow, nice play Bombaatu! Great read. Good example of complications as well.
The differences in the two CM plays really shows what effect complications can have.

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by Shadowchaser » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:10 pm

This thread is fantastic! Nice Captain Marvel piece, Bombaatu!
James Dawsey, Owner and Publisher of Vigilance Press

Look for Vigilance Press on RPGNow.com and Drive-Thru RPG!

Or check out our website for free previews and podcast links!
http://www.vigilancepress.com/

BlindPugh
Compatriot
Compatriot

Post by BlindPugh » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:18 pm

Shadowchaser wrote:This thread is fantastic!
Seconded.
Good work all round!
When realities collide- Quicksilver With thanks to Tatooedman.
Shadow war- Bill Sakowski
Toronto's greatest heroes- Green Ronin

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Bombaatu » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:18 pm

Black Canary v Fistful of Nazis

For this exercise, the soldiers have have no body armor, as it wasn't prevalent in WWII.

(Round ONE Inits: BC 22, tank 17, machine gunner 15, soldiers 12, Panzerfaust 7. BC has 1 HP)

“CrapcrapcrapcrapCRAP!”

Black Canary gunned the accelerator on her motorcycle and sped down the cobblestone street just ahead of the stitched line of machine gun fire. The sidecar bike was hot on her heels, its passenger firing away. Dinah spots an alleyway ahead and slides the bike sideways in her efforts to make the turn. She makes it look good, though (Vehicles 25) – her pursuers, not so much. (Vehicles 5 – oops!) They roll their bike. “Dammit, Ollie! Where are you?” She’s out of the immediate line of fire but the alleyway is tight and she has no real room to maneuver (Complication: Vulnerable). About 3 seconds later she realizes she may have made a fatal mistake – the alley’s exit is darkened by the lumbering mass of a Panzer tank! The big gun depresses and fires! (Attack 17. Bike rolls Toughness 19 v DC 25, while Dinah rolls 14 v DC 25 – ouch! One hit (-1 Toughness) and she’s Staggered!) Black Canary is blown clear and rolls down the alley, careening off the cobblestones and rolling to a stop under the shadow of the tank’s barrel. She shakes her head to clear her vision (HP to recover) just in time to see a group of soldiers run up and level their weapons. They begin shouting at her and motioning with their weapons as the machine gunner swings around trying to get a line of fire (she has partial cover against the machine gunner. The three soldiers present have a readied action).

(Round TWO – BC has 1 HP and one hit)
“I guess they’re telling me to surrender… might as well give ‘em what they want.” She holds up a hand and waves her acquiescence, looking desperately for an opening. (Deception as Move Action, -5 – she gets a 20 v their Insight of 5 – three degrees of success! She has them dead to rights – the soldiers lose their readied actions.) She takes a breath, gives a sly little smile and cuts loose with her Canary Cry! (Machine gunner rolls 13 for Dodge, soldiers’ Dodge is 4, 5 & 13 respectively. Fort in same order: 15, 20, 8 & 24!) The machine gunner and one soldier collapse, clasping their hands to bleeding ears. She flips to her feet (Acrobatics 19 –oops! HP to improve roll, success is automatic) and dives for cover in front of the tank. OUCH! Her ankle explodes in pain – she must have twisted it! (Complication: Hindered. Dinah is at -1 speed.) The other two soldiers back away and circle slowly, waiting for her to appear.

(Round THREE – BC has 1 HP and one hit)
Dinah peers around the edge of the tank and what she sees makes her blood run cold. Beyond the two soldiers circling to get to her, she can see a group of four others – one with a rocket launcher! That’s not the bad news, though – the bad news is that they are standing guard over Green Arrow! (Complication: Relationship) “Oh, no… Ollie!” Dinah needs to get in among them, drop them and get out! She quietly circles around the tank (Stealth 20 v Perception 18 – they also Tactics 17. One degree of success – she can act before they can get off their readied action because she’s coming from a direction they didn’t expect). She sees the soldiers moving with discipline but they’re concentrating on the front of the tank – big mistake. Two of the other soldiers are looking on with interest, but she can’t worry about them right now. Her ankle’s bothering her – she has to push it to reach them (Extra Effort: Speed). They spot her coming but it’s too late to shift their aim! The distant group of soldiers begin shouting – “Worry about them later, D!” – and then she’s among them! (Full Power Attack and she takes Routine Attacks because they are minions – easy hit. Both fail their Toughness save miserably.) Black Canary drops prone with the last soldier, eyes one the ones closing on her. (Tactics roll for them – they fail miserably! Their weapons are out of position and they’re heading straight for her without any attempt to be evasive.) Behind her, the tank rumbles forward and the turret begins to swing. Unseen hands haul the unconscious machine gunner down into its body.

(Round FOUR – BC is Prone & Hindered. She has 1 HP and 1 hit)
A wave of fatigue washed over her. “Think, Dinah – THINK!” Black Canary glanced down at the unconscious soldier’s web belt – a-ha! (HP to edit scene – the soldiers carry grenades!) She grabs the a grenade and tosses it towards the oncoming soldiers. One soldier dives clear but the other practically steps on the grenade as it goes off! (Dodge 22 & 10 v DC 15) The diving soldier is clear but his friend is not so lucky. Dinah tries to get to her feet but falls again – damn that ankle! (DC 20 Acrobatics check – failed!) She low-crawls to the alley mouth and presses up against the wall, gaining Total Cover. A quick peer around the corner showed her exactly what she didn’t want to see – the Paunzerfaust raised and a rocket heading her way! The rocket misses her (she has full cover) but explodes against the far wall! She rolls away from the blast easily (Dodge 29 v DC 17) but a bit of shrapnel catches her! (Toughness 17 v DC 18 – she takes another hit) The tank continues to lumber – it will be in position to fire next round!

(Round FIVE – BC is Hindered & Fatigued. She has 0 HP and 2 hits)
Dinah sees the turret pointed her way, and a new crew member has clambered into position on the machine gun cupola. She draws breath and cuts loose with the Canary Cry once more (Cone Area Damage 10 – the tank can’t dodge. The machine gunner rolls 16 for Dodge – not enough. The tank is unaffected, but this new gunner is rendered unconscious – bad day for machine gunners!) Unfortunately the tank is now in position to fire! She is unable to get out of the way but is extraordinarily lucky – she takes one more hit. The tank does not have enough crew to fire effectively – it will only be able to attack once every other round. The Panzerfaust reloads and sends another rocket her way. She still has full cover against it, though. (She’s Vulnerable – and blows her Dodge roll by a mile. She rolls Toughness v DC 22 – a two!) Dinah is blown down the alley and concrete strikes her in the head. “Ollie…” she whispers before the darkness takes her.

Final tally – Black Canary, 4 soldiers and 2 tank crew are out. This was pretty brutal – without more HP she was going to be hard-pressed to take out the tank and the Panzerfaust at the end.