Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Solo campaign idea - Accidental time travel

Here M&M GMs can trade tips and seek inspiration. Look out for SPOILERS! Players, surf elsewhere or ruin your own fun.

Solo campaign idea - Accidental time travel

Postby Denial » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:42 am

Hi everyone.
I am new to the whole GM thing. But a few of my friends have encouraged me to have a go. :shock:
Before we all get together for a team game, I thought it would be a great idea to attempt a solo campaign for each character.This will give them a practice to see how their heroes fair and gives them the chance to change bits where necessary. It also will help me get to grips with the GM'ing in smaller sessions.

One of them wants to be a weapons master that is from the (not too distant) future that has travelled back in time.
I don't really want to deal with the idea of a time machine. I think that could get very complicated for me if he is hopping all over the timeline. Maybe when I get some experience we can delve into that arena.

So I want to start his setting in the future on the chase of a villain. At some point there should be the 'incident' that causes him and the villain to travel back to the setting and time that all other heroes will inhabit. The upshot will be that he ends the scenario in the present day setting without the chance of returning to his time.

I don't know if it should be an environmental anomaly that causes a temporary rip in time or what..
Any ideas on the plot would be appreciated. His hero is a 'Justice enforcer' so will feel compelled to track down the villain, even if it means he never returns.

Thanks guys, looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

D.
Denial
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Solo campaign idea - Accidental time travel

Postby CaptainChaos » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:52 pm

What type of villain are you thinking of the hero going after? If the villain is the mad scientist type (or employs one) then the villain may have a reason for building such a device. The villain could be planning on traveling back in time to stop the hero from being born, becoming a hero, or any number of other reasons. The hero could track down the villain to his lair before the machine is finished. The hero and villain struggle, the machine gets activated, and the two of them fall through the wormhole it creates without any way of getting back to their own timeline. Once in our time, some bystanders could see the two fighting, think the hero is the bad guy/bully, and allow the villain to escape.

Just a thought.
CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Damren » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:12 pm

Does it have to be the future or can it be a future, as in alternate timelines or multiple-Earths? Any thoughts on what you want his future to look like?

What if the neo-dystopian future is similar to Gattaca (Film), with genetically augmented humans that use their uplifted intellect and perfect forms to control society? Special divisions are created to deal with these metagenic supermen, but not all are caught. Some hide in plain sight, creating powerful corporate entities that actually do good deeds in the world to mask their true intentions.

In the early years, the first metagenic augments became heroes, then some became villains, and at some point in the 'future history' a villain designed a hero killing virus that was able to eliminate most of the early augments, preserving only those from the later generations who where genetically infused with the 'cure'. Both this technology and what was done with it radically changed the face of the world.

Corporations stepped in to fill the gap left by heroes and governments that could not function without the empowered hierarchy. Biodefense technologies were developed and sold worldwide; some were corrupted - leading to either misery or death to those who took the cure. Gene-sculpting and human purity became the hallmarks of society, and anyone that could prove their humanity became a giant in the political and social circle of the future.

One such intellectual giant creates the Venture project, which uses advanced science to explore new worlds via the creation of controlled portals. In his 'future' humans have never been contacted by aliens, no life - even at the cellular - has ever been found. One of Ventures first success stories was to put a crew on Mars - which has since grown into a full blown colony. Venture is also mining asteroids and working on ways to pull raw energy from the sun.

Ventures current projects also include the first interstellar probe launch. But, during trials, the energy vectors revealed that Venture could - by targeting Earth's prior positions in space and altering the quantum signature of the 'vortex' - form a portal back in time. The mastermind instantly seized on this opportunity as a way to conquer and control the future, using metagenetic technology to 'sculpt' a new humanity in his image before any other power arose that could stop him.

He starts by killing those responsible for the discovery. Using gene-enhanced assassins, scientists and administrators begin to die - which could be what attracts your super hero to his operations. The trail - and the fights - lead back to Venture, where the brain trust is putting together his gear for the jump back - data crystals, gene weapons, modern equipment and tactical weaponry - the whole deal, an instant super villain kit of technology and data that will allow him to affect history for centuries.

The 'final' battle takes place at the Venture launch platform and both are lost in the vortex. But, they arrive, as scheduled, in the past, still fighting. Things, however, are different. Radically different from what the mastermind expected. Either history is wrong, or they are no longer on the Earth they know and have landed somewhere else.
Damren
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Denial » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks for the two excellent replies.
I haven't created the villain yet but you have given me food for thought. I will take the ideas on board.

Cheers :mrgreen:
Denial
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Damren » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:06 pm

You're welcome. I hope you come back & let us know how it went.
Damren
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Return to GMs' Eyes Only