Pamela's 2E Builds: Black Mask, Talisman, Lady Blue

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Nareik123
Zealot
Zealot

Re: PamelaIsley's Builds: Crazy Quilt II, Jewelee, Hawkgirl

Post by Nareik123 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:57 pm

*sighs*

You know, Miss Isley, I really would like you to make a Batgirl build, say, the 4th one?
Demacia! (Garen, The Might of Demacia)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nareik123s Heroes

PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

Post by PamelaIsley » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:30 pm

Nareik123 wrote:*sighs*

You know, Miss Isley, I really would like you to make a Batgirl build, say, the 4th one?
Well, I already made that character in a different guise. That will have to do. :)

My next builds are Sungirl and Miss Martian (hard to do).

Nareik123
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Nareik123 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:43 pm

Oooh! Me excited!
Demacia! (Garen, The Might of Demacia)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nareik123s Heroes

PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

Zatanna PL 11

Post by PamelaIsley » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:20 pm

Zatanna

PL: 11 (165 PP)

Abilities: Str 12 (+1), Dex 16 (+3), Con 12 (+1), Int 14 (+2), Wis 16 (+3), Cha 14 (+2);

Skills: Acrobatics +8, Bluff +4, Concentration +8, Craft (Magical) +8, Disable Device +8, Escape Artist +8, Intimidate +2, Notice +2, Sense Motive +4, Stealth +6, Search +2, Knowledge (Arcane Lore) +11, Profession (Stage Magician) +6, Disguise +7, Sleight of Hand +8, Perform +8; 100

Feats: Acrobatic Bluff, Improved Initiative, Attractive, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Disguise, Sleight of Hand, Escape Artist), Fascinate (Perform), Equipment:1, Defensive Roll:2, Dodge:9, Sneak Attack, Attack Specialization (Mystic Blast):3, Ritualist, Artificer;

Powers: Magic Array [All Dynamic]:
Telepathy:11,
Transform (Mental, Memories; Extra: Continuous):7,
Force Field [Extra: Affect Others]:11,
Telekinesis:11,
Mystic Blast:11,
Fire Control:11,
Water Control:11,
Air Control:11,
Earth Control:11,
Teleport:11; 41 PP
Flight:6 [12 PP];
Super-Senses (Detect Magic, Magic Awareness, Trace Teleport, See Invisible):6;
Impervious Will Save:7; 66 PP

Equipment: Wand (Strike:2, Power Feat: Mighty) 3 EP;

Combat: Base Attack +5, Blast +11, Defense 21 (11 flatfooted), Initiative +7;

Saves: Toughness +11 (+3 w/o force field, +1 flatfooted), Fortitude +6, Reflex +7, Will +10 (+7 Impervious);
Drawbacks: Power Loss (Magic, Unable to Speak), +3 PP;

Costs: Abilities 24 + Skills 25 + Feats 23 + Powers 66 + Combat 14 + Saves 16 – Drawbacks 3 = 165 PP

Comments: My original Zatanna was a depiction of the Batman Animated Series version, which shows up in one episode. I believe this was supposed to be Zatanna before she gained her magical powers. Here is my depiction of the more powerful JLA Zatanna.

I shied away from this build originally because I thought Zatanna was either a variable power user or almost PL X. But I think you can actually stat out a version that is faithful to the comics and still has room to grow. Her magical array has a lot of the spells she commonly uses, and extra effort, ritualist, and artificer can give her whatever else she might need in individual situations.

I was surprised how well my PL 6 Zatanna scaled up. I did a decent job having a base ability, skill, and feat set ready for just grafting the magical power on top off.

Comments welcome. Zatanna and Hawkgirl are a far cry from Crazy Quilt and Jewelee, but my quirky inspiration can't be predicted.

Miss Martian and Sungirl are next.
Last edited by PamelaIsley on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Pamela's Builds: Jewelee, Hawkgirl, Zatanna

Post by PamelaIsley » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:42 am

Minor modifications to Poison Ivy to increase her saves.

Poison Ivy PL 10 UP

Kal'El Wayne
Hireling
Hireling

Re: Pamela's Builds: Jewelee, Hawkgirl, Zatanna

Post by Kal'El Wayne » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:40 am

I like the playable Zatanna. I know the real thing is kind of a Deus Ex Machina, but as a playable character, she provides a nice alternative style to the usual Mystic Archetype. Less of the Eastern magical stereotype (meditation and enlightenment), more of the Western stereotype (sex and black magic).
Just a dog? Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's just a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word...Just

PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

Miss Martian

Post by PamelaIsley » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:11 pm

Miss Martian

PL: 10 (150 PP)

Abilities: Str 10 [24] (+0/7), Dex 12 (+1), Con 10 [24] (+0/7), Int 14 (+2), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 14 (+2);

Skills: Acrobatics +6, Concentration +6, Diplomacy +4, Investigate +4, Language (Martian), Notice +3, Sense Motive +4; 28

Feats: Attack Specialization (Blast):4, Dodge:11, Teamwork;

Powers: Enhanced Strength:14; Enhanced Constitution:14; Telepathy:8, Alternate Power: Psionic Eye Blast:8 [17 PP]; Shapeshift:5 [40 PP]; Flight:6 [12 PP];

Combat: Base Attack +4, Blast +12, Defense 23 (11 flatfooted), Initiative +1;

Trade-Offs: Attack +2, Damage -2, Toughness -3, Defense +3

Saves: Toughness +7, Fortitude +0/7, Reflex +5, Will +8;

Drawbacks: Power Loss: Shapeshift, Telepathy (Fire), +6 PP

Costs: Abilities 14 + Skills 7 + Feats 16 + Powers 97 + Combat 12 + Saves 10 – Drawbacks 6 = 150 PP

Comments: M'Gann is the very definition of a powerful, but inexperienced, heroine. Her points are almost entirely consumed by her Martian power set, which is formidable and was kind of hard to design. I used shapeshift instead of variable to model that portion of her abilities, but it could have been done either way. My understanding is that there is essentially no limit to what she can become. Other than shapeshift, she is a powerful telepath, has enhanced strength and constitution, can shoot eye blasters, and can fly. She is extremely vulnerable to fire.

Miss Martian's role in the current Titans team is unclear to me, but she had a great original storyline when she was suspected of being a traitor, quit the team, and then was welcomed back despite being a White Martian. She also features prominently in the plot by Deathstroke to use the Titans East to solidify his children's place in the Titans. Miss Martian acquires a nemesis in the Titans East by the name of Sungirl. I have built Sungirl and will provide notes on her history later.

Comments welcome. Sungirl and the Shade are next though I am going to rebuild Harley Quinn at some point.

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Pamela's Builds: Jewelee, Hawkgirl, Zatanna, Miss Martian

Post by Sidious » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:19 pm

Martians are a real p.i.t.a. aren't they?

I've been revising my Manhunter build forever and still don't have him quite right.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Pamela's Builds: Jewelee, Hawkgirl, Zatanna, Miss Martian

Post by PamelaIsley » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:43 pm

I'm definetely not going to be trying Martian Manhunter anytime soon. Miss Martian was painful enough. It's just impossible to get them to feel right, I think.

PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

The Shade

Post by PamelaIsley » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:13 am

The Shade

PL: 11 (165 PP)

Abilities: Str 14 (+2), Dex 14 (+2), Con 16 (+3), Int 18 (+4), Wis 16 (+3), Cha 14 (+2);

Skills: Bluff +9, Concentration +8, Craft (Magical): +7, Disguise +8, Knowledge (Art) +7, Knowledge (Arcane Lore) +9, Knowledge (History) +10, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +8; 72

Feats: Ritualist, Artificer, Equipment:1, Attack Focus (Ranged):8, Attack Specialization (Cane):4, Dodge:7, Improved Initiative, Well-Informed, Benefit (Wealth):3;

Powers: Darkness Control:10,
Alternate Powers: Dark Blast:10,
Shadow Snare:10,
Visual Dazzle:10,
Create Shadow Objects:10,
Summon (Shadow Demon):8, Power Feat: Progression:3; 25 PP
Shadow Walk:10;
Shadow Shield:10;
Super-Senses (Darkvision):2;
Immunity (Aging):1;
Impervious Will Save:9; 57 PP

Combat: Base +4, Ranged +12, Cane +12, Defense 21 (12 flatfooted), Initiative +6;

Equipment: Cane (Strike:2, Mighty) 3 EP;

Trade-Offs: Attack +1, Damage -1;

Saves: Toughness +11 (+3 w/o force field), Fortitude +8, Reflex +6, Will +9 (+9 Impervious);

Costs: Abilities 32 + Skills 18 + Feats 27 + Powers 57 + Combat 16 + Saves 15 = 165 PP

Comments: This is the DC supervillain the Shade, who has also appeared in the JLU series. The Shade has morphed from a second-tier thief and minor villain into a shadow-based immortal who is also more of an antihero. This presentation is somewhere in the middle. The Shade makes a more interesting villain with darkness control and shadow powers, but I have very little use for antiheroes. :)

The Shade is built around darkness control, which is functioning almost as a magic array. The Shadow Demons he summons are found in the Book of Magic. Supplementing this is a shadow force field, a transmit power based on shadow walking, and impervious will save (something that will feature in my magic-user and telepath type builds from now on, as seen with White Queen and Zatanna). Otherwise he has a variety of feats and skills designed to represent the fact that he has been alive since the early 19th century.

I designed Shade primarily as an Injustice League answer to Zatanna (Circe has to be PL X, but I might build her for this same role down the line), but he would also make a good stand alone villain against a small team of Teen Titans.

Comments welcome.

PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Pamela's Builds: Hawkgirl, Zatanna, Miss Martian, the Shade

Post by PamelaIsley » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:23 am

I started buying some comics again lately (nothing new). Namely, I purchased the Injustice League Unlimited hardback, the latest Titans East (featuring Dove and Hawk), and Salvation Run.

First off, Salvation Run is terrible. Its a terrible concept (something like this would never happen) and its poorly implemented. How many times did the Joker and Luthor have to create splinter groups? How did Catwoman travel all the way across the planet and find the safe zone without being killed? Why did the authors and artists keep forgetting that Cheetah joined Vandal Savage and wasn't around for Joker's raids (I did like how they tried to correct this mistake later in the series)? And if the idea was to imprison dangerous metahumans (outlined by Flag in the beginning), why were so many non-powered criminals shipped away? I mean, seriously, what's the difference between Two-Face and a common street thug that would cause the former to be exiled to an alien world and the latter be locked up in prison?

Also, the art was awful. I bought it just to see Jewelee and Nocturna's return, but I knew going in they weren't really in it much. So my expectations were low and they were disappointed.

And that brings me to Injustice League Unlimited. Unbelievably good art for just something that was originally individual comic books (the art improves after the first chapter, but it isn't ever really average or below). Joker isn't drawn right, but Doctor Light, Killer Frost (as of the second chapter, with the longer hair), Cheetah, and most of the JLA have never looked better. Some people don't like Benes, but I have to say, he's now drawn the best Killer Frost, the best Cheetah, and the best Dove (Blackest Night cover) to date. Those are three characters I really like, so you'll never hear me say anything bad about him.

However, the writing is quite bad and the story is poorly conceived. Canary's reaction to Doctor Light is just laughable and Cheetah's response to the same character is even more out there (there is a great blog on this somewhere, if you just type in faces of Barbara Minerva, you'll find it in part seven). Also, instead of the filler material at the end, why not include the Injustice League's attempt to crash Green Arrow and Canary's wedding? As it is, you don't even get the end of the story.

I feel the same way about the Titans East special where Cyborg trys to create a new Titans team. Once again, the beginning is just filler. Why not flesh out the actual creation and training of the new team, rather than flash back to a made-up caper involving the Joker and Bizarro (a team-up which is, to say the least, bizarre)?

But the art in the second part is quite good. Hawk and Dove look fantastic (though something is off with the coloring of Dove's outfit). Son of Vulcan is drawn too old, but is still well-drawn.

For a major relaunch of the Titans, though, I must say the special was disappointing.

Anyway, back to builds.

Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Dreaming Psion » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:26 am

Although I enjoyed him in the Justice League/JLU series, the Shade really became one of my favorite DC charactes after stumbling upon a couple of trade paperbacks of the 90s Starman series. Lookls like you've covered all his bases well here. :)
Check out the anime/manga 3e thread
My new Oddballs reborn thread

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Libra » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:26 am

Keep up the good work Miss Isley! :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

Post by PamelaIsley » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:46 pm

Thanks Libra!

Increased Harley to a PL 7.

Harley Quinn PL 7

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:36 am

Nice Shade. I've never read any of the Sandman stuff, but I liked his reworking in Justice League and I think your build captures it.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)