Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

convert a ____ thread: World's Finest Chapter 16

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

Postby BARON » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:00 pm

May Parker begins to drift off to sleep on her couch watching an all night Lawrence Welk marathon. She's about to nod off when a chiseling sound above her alerts her attention. Without warning the ceiling gives way and a costumed maniac crash lands through her coffee table in front of her. The Mercenary kicks aside what's left of the coffee table. Deadpool trains his gun on a terrified Aunt May, "Lawrence Welk at 3:00am? You do realize you have neighbors. Neighbors with money. Enough money to hire the best--"

Suddenly a scarlet streak breaks through the front window and tackles Deadpool off his feet. A shot goes off into the roof as he collides with the wall. Spiderman latches onto the ceiling and then drops down ready to fight. "DEADPOOL!!! Leave her alone!" He shouts with clenched fists.

Deadpool shakes the cobwebs loose. "I was just gonna tell her to turn it down"

"At gunpiont?!?" shouts Spidey. "YOU CRASHED THROUGH HER CEILING AT 3 IN THE MORNING JUST SO YOU COULD TELL HER TO TURN THE TV DOWN?"

"yeah" retorts Deadpool, "ow... okay maybe I was gonna shoot her."

NEXT

SPIDERMAN vs DEADPOOL
BARON
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Postby Libra » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:59 pm

Why not stat up He-Man and set him against Lion-Dude from the Thundercats? There can only be one! (Really camp sword wielder!)

Great Fights and builds Baron.
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby BARON » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:07 pm

TALE OF THE TAPE

"Oh man... Aunt May is gonna kill me"

Spider Man: PL10 ( 160pp ); Inititive +15 (Dex); Defense 26 (18 flatfooted); Spd 30ft; Atk +6/+8 web shooters (+8 unarmed); SV Tou +4, Fort +6, Ref +15, Will +4; Str 26, Dex 40, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 8 (physicals without powers: Str 8, Dex 10, Con 10)

Skills: Acrobatics 5 (+20), Bluff 8 (+7), Climb 1 (+9), Craft (mechanical) 2 (+5), Disable Device 1 (+4), Knowledge (technology) 3 (+6), Notice 7 (+8 ), Sense Motive 4 (+5)

Feats: benefit (aunt may), contacts, equipment +1, fighting style [accurate attack, acrobatic bluff, defensive attack, evasion +1, taunt, ultimate save: toughness, uncanny dodge: danger sense], second chance (bluff)

Powers: Device +6 [hard to lose Snare +12; Power Feat: Alternate Power +2 (create object +7; Power Feat: Progression +2, Tether; Extra: Duration +1; 3pp), (snare +6 ; Extra: Blocks Sight +2; 4pp per), Dynamic Power (swinging movement/snare +11), Subtle +1, Tether; 2pp per], Super Movement +2 [Wall Crawling: 2pp per rank], Super Sense [Danger Sense: 1pp], Super Strength +1 [Power Feat: Dynamic Power +2 (leaping), (speed); 2pp per rank]

Equipment: Apartment (living space and workshop... 2ep), Costume (1ep), Utility Belt [camera, mini tracer] (2ep)

Drawback: Less Starting Wealth (1pp)

tradeoffs: +2DC/-2Atk, -5Tou/+5Def
complications: enemy, reputation, responsibility, secret

VS

Deadpool: PL10 ( 160pp ); Initiative +9 (Dex, Improved); Defense 23 (16 flatfooted); Spd 30ft; Atk +11/+12 ranged/+13 swords (+5 swords, +4 submachine gun, +2 unarmed); SV Tou +6/+7 armor, Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +4; Str 14, Dex 20, Con 22, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 16

Skills: Acrobatics 2 (+7), Bluff 7 (+10), Climb 3 (+5), Disable Device 6 (+8 ), Intimidate 3 (+6), Investigate 2 (+4), Knowledge (tactics) 2 (+4), Notice 3 (+5), Profession (mercenary) 3 (+5), Sense Motive 3 (+5), Stealth 7 (+11)

Feats: Connected, Equipment +5, Fearless, Fighting Style [attack focus: ranged +1, attack specialization: swords +1, defensive attack, dodge focus +1, evasion +1, improved initiative +1, precise shot +1, quickdraw, sneak attack +1, takedown attack +1, taunt], Jack of all Trades, Luck +1, Skill Master [acrobatics, bluff, intimidate, stealth]

Powers: Device +3 [hard to lose teleport +5; Power Feat: Alternate Power +1 (morph +5; 2pp per), Change Direction, Change Velocity, Easy, Turnabout; Extra: Accurate +1; Flaw: Short Range -1; 2pp per], Regeneration +26 [Power Feat: Persistant, Regrowth; Bonus 3, Bruised 2, Unconscious 1, Injured 5, Staggered 6, Disabled 2, Ability 1, Resurrect 6]

Equipment: Armor (1ep), Arsenal [bolos, fragmentation grenades, shuriken, submachine gun, staff, sword] (18ep), 6ep extra

trades: -3DC/+3Atk, -3Tou/+3Def
motivation: greed

predictions...

:arrow: Spidey can't clobber him and he can't snare him. I don't see how Spiderman can beat him before he gets feinted and pasted by Wade. I know I'm pulling for Spidey though! I just don't see how he can win. You never know for sure though. Spiderman DOES hit very hard and he'll be feinting and taunting Deadpool all day. Who knows? Maybe Spidey can catch a fiat and use it to overload his healing factor with a power attack? Damn... guess I have to pick Deadpool here. What good is a DC22 reflex save on a snare when your opponent can just port out of there?
BARON
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Postby Overdrive » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:29 pm

Hey BARON, allow me to echo all the praise you've been receiving for this thread. I'm a little late, and I know you've got stuff planned, but I just read your Zorro fight and I really enjoyed it. I seem to recall that you statted up a couple of the characters from THE PRINCESS BRIDE (although maybe that was in 1e, it's so hard to keep track). If you haven't, you ought to stat'em up, because I would love to see a fight between Zorro and Inigo Montoya, or possibly Westley the Man in Black. Thanks! And I look forward to the fight between Spider-Man and Deadpool! Web-head'll pull through!
Quotes from my first M&M session:
"Are you on the drugs?" - Shockwave
"Hellenic steel my ass." - Shockwave

Mr. Invincible: You don't know who you're dealing with. I'm INVINCIBLE.
The Greek: So was Achilles.
Overdrive
Hireling
Hireling

Postby BARON » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:32 pm

SPIDERMAN vs DEADPOOL

Round 1: Spidey and Deadpool are 15 feet apart. Spidey charges (+2Atk/-2Def)... he's stunned/bruised. Knockback is +5, but he'll hit a wall (+5 anyway)... he's staggered/stunned. The wall is damaged, but not destroyed. Deadpool regens the staggered result instantly. He'll use luck to shake the stun effect off. He instant ups, quickdraws his machine gun, and fires (defatk5)... miss. He'll taunt as a move... spidey comes back with bluff. Spidey is demoralized for the round (-2Atk/-2Def)

"LEAVE!" screams Spiderman with a diving haymaker. He sends Deadpool spinning in midair and slamming into the wall of Aunt May's living room. The Mercenary slides down and can feel his jaw has been totally dislocated. It slowly regenerates. He picks himself up glaring at Spiderman and goes to work with his uzi.... "not very nice of you'"

Spiderman cartwheels through the gunfire "listen to miss manners over here"

Round 2: Spidey takes a full round to get May to safety. First he'll create a diversion to hide... it works... then we'll see about stealth. Oh yeah Wade is totally lost. Deadpool tries the same thing. Spidey's lost Deadpool.

Spiderman tags Aunt May with his webbing then reels her in with a jerk. He bursts out of the window and swings up to the roof. Deadpool runs out, but stops himself on the porch. "no Wade... don't let im get you. Get him! haha dude you're a genius"

Meanwhile Spiderman sits Aunt May down on the roof and tells her to keep quiet. He crawls out to look on the lawn but doesn't see anything. "Nuts" he hisses to himself.

Round 3-4: Deadpool almost saw Spidey, but knows the suprise round won't matter against Spiderman's uncanny dodge. He won't fiat for it. He WILL take a standard action and heal his bruised condition though. Spidey can't find him either. Spiderman finds Deadpool the next round though. Spidey shoots his webs... miss.

Spidey slinks his way about the walls looking inside of the house. Deadpool crawls behind the bushes in the side alley. He inches his way up to the station wagon. Spiderman looks up for a second and looks around. "whoa somethin ain't right... THERE!" He looks to the side and sees Deadpool trying to get under the house. His webs coat the pavement at Deadpool's feet as he leaps backwards.

Round 5: This time Deadpool is going first. He'll switch to his sword and charge spidey (+2Atk/-2Def)... Spidey saves. Spidey acrobatic feints as a move then attacks aggresively (+2Atk/-2Def)... miss.

Deadpool goes for a banzai charge and hacks the air conditioning unit in half with a "HI-YA!!!" Spiderman cannonballs acrobatically over him holding his calf muscle. Spiderman lands on the stationwagon and whistles at Deadpool after checking himself for blood, then takes a single bound off the hood and goes for a haymaker. Deadpool staggers out of the way as the Air conditioner lands with a crash. A dog starts barking.

Round 6: Deadpool attacks aggresively (+2Atk/-2Def)... miss. He then teleports straight up. This will force another round of stealth. Spidey gets to notice... nope.

"KEE-YA!! YA! HI-YA!!" screams Deadpool with crazy swipes. Spidey leapfrogs the station wagon. Deadpool teleports away.

"terrific" says Spiderman. "aw man. My suit is ripped and the hood's got a dent in it. HEY MAY, I PUT A DENT IN YOUR HOOD TRYING TO EVADE HIS KATANA SWIPES OKAY?"

"that's fine peter" she says from the roof, "be careful"

Round 7-: Deadpool immedeatly catches spidey. He'll take a suprise round... switches to his shuriken... +1 damage from autofire.. mark a wound.

"Oh shi-" starts Spiderman. Deadpool crashes through the kitchen window with a kick and hurls shuriken at Spiderman. They split the driver's side window of the station wagon in two. One goes into Spidey's shoulder. Spiderman swats it out and groans.

Round 8: Spidey goes first. He'll charge while drawing a tracer and place it (DC20 notice)... Wade doesn't see it. Deadpool quickdraws his swords, taunts as a move (fails), and attacks aggresively (+2Atk/-2DC)... miss.

Spiderman dives head first through the kitchen window and slips a tracer onto Deadpool's back. Deadpool spins around drawing his katanas and starts destroying the kitchen trying to kill Spiderman, "KEE-YA! ZOW! YA! HI-YA!"

He buries his sword into the fridge. Spiderman shakes his head in disbelief.

Round 9: Spidey acrobatic feints as a move and attacks (defatk5)... saves. Deadpool leaves combat, switches to grenades, then throws them... Spidey saves and takes no damage.

Spiderman runs up the wall, dives back, and rolls under Deadpool's legs. He turns Deadpool around and cowboy punches him. Deadpool rolls with it and lets a handful of grenades go from his belt.. "NO!" screams Spidey, "NOT IN THE HOU-"

BLAM-BLAM!!!! Spidey rolls effortlessly through the smoke as the fridge collapses on its side on fire.

Round 10: Spidey snares (defatk5)... miss. He'll acrobatic trick as a move... oh WOW a 20. That's a 35 check, people. Wade will now leave combat thinking it the best strategy (he's unaware of the tracer). Wade switches to guns and fires aggresively (+2Atk/-2Def)... CRIT... ultimate toughness by Spidey with a Hp. Mark a wound. Wade ports away.

"what's going on down there?" says Aunt May; still on the roof.

Deadpool and Spidey call out "NOTHING"

Spiderman growls. "What?" says Wade, "it wasn't YOUR KITCHEN" Spiderman roars and fires webs at Deadpool. Spiderman leaps from wall to wall trying to get Deadpool to port away. Deadpool readies his uzi and runs into the burning kitchen firing. He ports away as Spidey catches a bullet in the gut. The round sends Spiderman backwards, but he toughs it out.

"Aunt May... oh man... gotta stop this maniac" He checks the transmitter. "I got you"

Round 11: I'm giving Spiderman the suprise round here. He'll snare Deadpool's weapon (accatk5)... Deadpool's gun is snared.

Deadpool teleports onto the roof. Aunt May screams. Spiderman swings up and snatches his gun. "This is your last warning! LEAVE." yells Spiderman.

"tell her to turn the tv down! I'll take half the pay." yells Deadpool. He tugs on his gun. Spiderman tugs back.

Spiderman shouts back with his hands wrapped around the webbed reigns, "WHY DON'T YOU JUST BLOW IT UP LIKE YOU DID THE FRIDGE YOU LUNATIC?"

Round 12: Deadpool goes first. He'll try to yank the gun away... Spidey wins. He'll throw shuriken (defatk5)... miss. Spidey yanks the gun away as a move (manipulating an object), then fires a snare (accattk5) at Deadpool's shuriken... hit!

Spidey snaps the guns backwards and off of the roof. Dead pool hurls shuriken as he darts to the side. Spidey tags Deadpools hands with his webs. Deadpool looks down in dsigust as the webs stick to his shuriken like superglue. Spiderman calls out, "Aunt May... get out of here!"

Round 13: Deadpool lets spidey have the shuriken. He'll quickdraw his swords and charge (+2Atk/-2Def)... miss! Spiderman (superstr1) gets some distance (acrobatics+str= standing long jump of 17ft) and fires snare (accatk5) at Deadpool's Katana... HIT. He'll surge to yank it away. Spidey is now fatigued.

"yuck... here!" Deadpool lets the shuriken go. He whips out his swords. Spiderman shakes his head as Deadpool comes in for another banzai charge. "KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-YOW!" Spiderman ducks the high swing and leaps like a dart. He turns in mid air and webs Deadpools sword and arm. Spiderman lands on his wounded side and jerks his webs backward as hard as he can. The katana goes twirling out of Deadpool's hand and sticks into the roof at Spidey's feet. Spiderman boots the Katana out of the roof and sends it over the side.

"okay..." says Spidey gasping for air, "now let's go at this like men"

Round 14: Deadpool charges unarmed (+2Atk/-2Def)... Spidey saves. Spiderman acrobatic feints as a move and attacks (defatk5)... miss.

Deadpool smacks himself across the face and dives after Spiderman. He grabs Spiderman by the mask and decks him. Spidey pulls him off of him and dazzles Deadpool with an aerial acrobatic display. He goes for a rabbit punch, but Deadpool ducks out of the way at the last second. Spidey spins around to face Deadpool.

Round 15: Deadpool taunts as a move... Spidey outdoes him. He'll quickdraw his staff (his staff and his grenades are the only things left btw), Deadpool attacks (defatk5)... miss. Spidey fails to acrobatic feint as a move then attacks (defatk5)... miss.

"wonder what I'll pull down a job after I kill Spiderman eh?" taunts the merc with a mouth.

"I'm sure you'll get a high five at least. NOW SHUT UP AND FIGHT." yells Spiderman. Deadpool quickdraws his staff and begins his assault. Spidey cartwheels back and misses with a kangaroo kick. He comes up expecting Deadpool to continue his deadly assault. Deadpool can tell the wall crawler is ready for him.

Round 16: Deadpool goes full defense. Spiderman acrobatic feints as a move... wow another 20... Spidey misses though (accattk2).

Deadpool spins his staff high in the air and tells Spiderman to come at him. Spiderman floors his senses with a leap and comes at him with a driving kick; showing impressive aim even for him. Deadpool tries to keep his defense up, but Spiderman's moving very quick.

Round 17: Deadpool fiats to gain all out attack, attacks (allout5)... miss. Spidey acrobatic feints as a move... Spiderman HP to gain power attack, attacks aggresively (+2Atk/-2Def, powatt5)... WHAM! Deadpool is stunned/staggered... Knockback is +10... fiat to improve roll... bruised/stunned.

Deadpool spins his staff in front of him and comes screaming at Spiderman "WOOP! YA! HAHAHA!" Spiderman leaps a low swipe that takes Deadpool off balance in one move. Deadpool can hear Spiderman's muscles tense up. "aw no..." he murmurs.

THWACK! A field goal kick sends Deadpool hurtling off the roof. He lands in the bushes hard across the street. His staff lands with a ruckus somewhere nearby. He looks up and sees Spiderman, upside down from his POV, leap straight up.

Round 18: Deadpool (prone) remains stunned this round and heals his staggered effect as a reaction. Spidey (leap1/spd1) moves and attacks (target is prone +4Atk)... CRIT. Wade is out. He'll take +10 knockback... staggered/disabled/stunned. fiat to escape.

Deadpool sits up slowly. He doesn't even see it before it hits. Spiderman webs the severed air conditioning unit in mid air and tees off on Deadpool's head. It shatters in twisted metal. Deadpool takes a tumble totally limp end over end, skips off the roof, and lands in the backyard swimming pool. He's motionless at first. His head has been cracked wide open. Spidey lands on the roof of the neighbor's house. Wade crawls to the lip of the pool and staggers through the wooden fence in the backyard. Spidey hears the teleporter go off. He curses Deadpool out and goes back to check on May.

THE WINNAH: both guys did pretty well. I really like Deadpool's regen levels. Spiderman wins! Purely on luck of the die and a few smart moves by ol webhead. The tracer helped, the disarms helped, and of course the few fiats he got really helped. I liked this fight. It was really long, but it had color and the options I had rarely got old. Things were very touch and go for Spiderman for a while actually. I think there will be some minor edits to Wade... skills mainly... but both guys did well enough I think.

scorecard:
HP: Spidey 2, Deadpool 0
Status/Wounds: Pete (fatigued, 2 wounds: injured), Wade (3 wounds: bruised/staggered/disabled/stunned)
Last edited by BARON on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BARON
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Postby BARON » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:47 pm

Overdrive wrote:Hey BARON, allow me to echo all the praise you've been receiving for this thread. I'm a little late, and I know you've got stuff planned, but I just read your Zorro fight and I really enjoyed it. I seem to recall that you statted up a couple of the characters from THE PRINCESS BRIDE (although maybe that was in 1e, it's so hard to keep track). If you haven't, you ought to stat'em up, because I would love to see a fight between Zorro and Inigo Montoya, or possibly Westley the Man in Black. Thanks! And I look forward to the fight between Spider-Man and Deadpool! Web-head'll pull through!

Well thank you very much. Princess Bride characters would be cool; particularly Fezzik, Wesley, and Inigo. I said I wanted to, but never got to. I would like to fit them in; haven't written anything down that would say otherwise. I may try to knock off a few of them in the next batch of builds.

Expect some DC, some GI Joe, A little Marvel and the Superman/Hulk throwdown. (it will in fact be beyond a fight... it WILL be a throwdown 8) )
BARON
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Postby Psistrike » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:24 pm

Now that was a fight! Loved how each of them acted, so in character, especially Deadpool. As great as your team fights, in my opinion. Be scary to make someone who is a combo of the best of both Spidey and Deadpool. :shock:
Psistrike
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Vexous » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:45 pm

That fight went off just like I figured it would. A lot of bob and weave until someone got lucky and rolled a 20. Once the tide changes, its all over. Another good one Baron.

Hmmm, I gotta stop making all these posts before I loose my Official lurker status.
Vexous
Cohort
Cohort

Postby HG » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:02 pm

Do you actually roll all those 20's or make them up.

Use a random die program. I doubt you'll get so many 20's, not this spidey battle but I noticed a lot of your battles do and normally in favor of the hero.

Yes 20's happen, and I rolled 2 in a row last game I played, but that was all the ones I rolled the whole game, and one person besides me got a 19. So it can come in spades or not happen but it seems you pepper in the 20's just do to so.
HG
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Isungr » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:19 pm

Chello!

I don't know, HG....I handed out 4 crits yesterday in my Hackmaster game...the players wasted about 7-8 crits because they were fighting Undead. There was only 1 combat! lol

I dislike electronic randomization...true, it's mathematically accurate, but there's something about rolling real dice...it FEELS better.

Tony
CoH/V Global: @Isungr (now defunct)

“Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know
that monsters exist. Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed.”
G. K. Chesterton
Isungr
Henchman
Henchman

Postby MDSnowman » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:26 pm

Isungr wrote:Chello!

I don't know, HG....I handed out 4 crits yesterday in my Hackmaster game...the players wasted about 7-8 crits because they were fighting Undead. There was only 1 combat! lol

I dislike electronic randomization...true, it's mathematically accurate, but there's something about rolling real dice...it FEELS better.

Tony

One and a half rounds during my project 615 game netted my players 2 Critical Hits, and the villain came close to scoring one as well. You just can't predict what the dice are going to do. It doesn't matter if the dice are real or virtual.
MDSnowman
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Knighthawk » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:35 pm

Dude as a someone who has played D20 style combat rolls for over 20 years 20's have a nack for just happening.

In some sessions I run I have to sometimes ignore a natural 20 roll in favor of the heroes I roll them so much.

In fact I have 2 dice sets (out of over 3 dozen, what can I say I collect dice sets. Damn Gencon and having Chessex there every year at 2 booths!!!) that my players will not let me use. A cool red d20 and a green-orange d20 that my players. They will ask I remove those from my rollers for the night.

I have rolled as little as 6 naturals in a session to as many as 16 in an event one saturday night two years ago during a Star Wars game.

Then I have had some people in my group who can not roll a single one ever during a game when asked or required to roll one.

Note our game sessions are over 8+ hours when we play. That can attribute to the high rolls.

EDIT**

And that is why rolling Dice is so random HG
Knighthawk
~Player of the Games~

Visit the Daily blog.
http://spacersdepot.blogspot.com/
Knighthawk
Cohort
Cohort

Postby EL » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:43 pm

great fight Baron. I loved it. The taunts were worthy of both characters as well. Bravo :)
THAT was for my MOM, you Son of a B!TCh!!! -Dean Winchester
EL
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Location: On this side of insanity, or was it that side? *shrugs*

Postby grahf » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:13 pm

It could be that his heros roll more 20s because they roll more period, which could in turn be due to something as simple as not having Skill Mastery on a commonly-used interaction skill. Two of the 20s were on acrobatics checks after all and neither of those ended up being at all beneficial, plus the last one wasn't that necessary either since it happened when Deadpool was already stunned and prone, so it seems unlikely that he'd be fudging rolls.

Between attack, damage, and opposed skill checks I think I counted 10 rolls in the first two rounds of combat alone. Assuming it tapered off to an average of 3 rolls per round after that, that's 58 total rolls so three 20s is statistically just about perfect. Assume that Spidey made 60% of the total rolls during the fight, and it's hardly a long shot (roughly 1 in 5) that all the 20s would've been his.

Oh and I also loved the lines, especially their respose to Aunt May after Deadpool blows up the fridge.
grahf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby GreyGriffin » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:53 pm

BARON wrote:SPIDERMAN vs DEADPOOL

"what's going on down there?" says Aunt May; still on the roof.

Deadpool and Spidey call out "NOTHING"

Immortal.
GreyGriffin
Bystander
Bystander

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call