"A Noble Spirit Embiggens the Smallest Man"
Founded in 1796, and named for its founder, Jebidiah Springfield, Springfield is of course the recommended setting for a simpsons-based campaign. or, you could take the provided interactive map* (click on the picture) and with some slight name changes, use Springfeild as the model for your own campaign city, or any other fair-sized north american town.
that said, we now move onto places of interest
1) the Springfeild Nuclear Power Plant - as any fanboy can tell you, Nuclear Plants in a supers setting are the source of countless adventure hooks, be it disasters, material for WMDs, or a convient spot for radiation-iduced super origins. The SNPP can offer all of these and more, with its appalling safety record and the machinations of Mr. Burns' on-site staff of mad scientists, to say nothing of the general imcompetence of the plant workers
2) Krustylu Studios - the production studio of Krusty the Klown, Krustylu Studios is also the seat of his merchandising empire, with the money from his countless trademarked products coming in almost as fast as his gambling debts and lawsuits can hemmorhage it
3) Burns Casino - sure, in continuity it was demolished, but since when has that stopped enterprising GM's from putting a highly valuable target for supercrime in their city?
4) Duff brewery - Springfield's other major cash cow, Duff Beer is an incrediby lucrative business
5) south side squid port and recluse ranch estates - the wealthiest parts of town (not counting burns manor)
6) Springfield general hospital - there are other hospitals in town, but this place sees the most traffic and is best suited to handling them, especially after the indefinate abscence of Dr. Nick Riviera
Law & Order
Presently, Mayor Quimby (democrat) more or less rules the town unchallenged, and despite blatant corrpution, countless scandals and the occassional coup, life in springfeild is fairly normal and at times seemingly prosperous
on the legal front, despite the even greater impcompetence and corruption of the police under Cheif Clancy Wiggum, Springfield's crime rate is apparetly no greater than that of the average american town, due to the harsh rulings of Judges Snyder and Harm, and frequent occurences of vigilante Justice and angry mobs
perhaps the biggest reason for Springfield's averaged crime rate is that Springfeild is a Mafia town. if there is truly a rival to Mr. Burns for control of corrupt officials, it's the D'amico family. Ostensibly headed by Godfather Don Vittorio DiMaggio, the D'amico's de facto leader is Marion "Fat Tony" D'amico, who runs the show from his Legitimate Businessman's Social Club. a hands-on boss, Fat Tony engages in the typical illicit practices, while maintaining a semi-legit facade as a supplier and contractor.
after the D'amico's, the other major crime families are the Calibrisies and Castanellas, with representatives of the Japanese Yakuza presently establishing a foothold (and fierce rivalry with the D'Amicos) in the snack food racket
with regards to common crime, barring exeptins such as sideshow bob, this appears to be the sole jurisdiction of one "Snake" Jailbird, with vandalism covered by the elusive "El Barto"
* = Interactive map courtesy of Map of Springfield