Taliesin's builds: 3E moved to sister thread

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Taliesin's builds: Juri, SF4 updates, Vulcan, Wisdom

Post by Taliesin »

Woodclaw wrote:
Taliesin wrote:It's not that I'm stopping building, but I'm playing around with the 3E system so I've less time to think about 2E.
Just for the records, so far how easy is to convert a build from 2E to 3E?
Mostly pretty straightforward, as Steve has mentioned. There are some mechanical changes that prevent a direct conversion, but again, anyone with experience with 2E should feel quite comfortable in 3E. And there are some things that 3E does unquestionably better--if nothing else, playing around with a Rogue build convinced me.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville »

Thank the heavens for that one. Rogue is easily among the hardest characters to convert to a playable build effectively- most 'all that she can be' builds of Rogue I've done have come up to something like 200 pp at first-glance. The mix of Aura, the high levels of powers, the mix-and-matching... all for something that went basically unused for the entirety of the 1990s :).

Unknown Soldier
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Unknown Soldier »

I know you're busy, but if you get a chance could you try your hand at The Doctor from Doctor Who? Or at least tinker with one you can publish when 3e comes out?

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Taliesin »

Yeah, I do feel a bit bad about not updating anything for 2E. I was considering making one last update to my builds to make sure they're all consistent (I know I have at least three different ways I've built GL builds), and if Hyborian has a chance to update his pdfs of my builds, that would be really cool, as well. There wouldn't be any new 2E builds unless I've missed someone obvious, but at least I'd be able to close up shop with a bang.

Anyone feel if that's worthwhile?

Nite_Owl
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Nite_Owl »

That would be awesome, but wouldn't it also be a mammoth amount of work? You've got to have about 100 pages of just builds in this thread, if not more.

But if you're up for it... HECK YEAH! :mrgreen:

Edheldur
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Edheldur »

Taliesin wrote:Anyone feel if that's worthwhile?
Yup, that would, actually, rock.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse »

Edheldur wrote:
I had the same thought on my own threads, so I think you should have to go through the same suffering I am... :wink:
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Final Updates: Superman & co.

Post by Taliesin »

Thorpacolypse wrote:
Edheldur wrote:
I had the same thought on my own threads, so I think you should have to go through the same suffering I am... :wink:
I realize I have maybe two months to do this, but it's probably not going to be completed unless I push Severance's 20 builds/day pace, which I doubt I can manage. On the other hand, these are mostly simple updates with perhaps the occasional missing build thrown in, so hopefully it won't be too difficult.

Anyway, here's a short list of final updates so far:

Superman
Superboy (Conner Kent)
Supergirl (Kara Zor-El)
Power Girl
Bizarro
Zod
Mon-El
Gladiator
Apollo
Mister Majestic
Last edited by Taliesin on Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Taliesin's builds: Final 2E Updates

Post by Narsil »

I'm interested to see what your take is on Meggan or Captain Britain at some point, actually (and I've requested the latter in the past a couple of times). They seem to be amongst the few that you're actually missing.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Taliesin »

I don't have a Captain Britain? *facepalm* I may have to build one for 2E.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Narsil »

Yes, you'd better. :P

Though he'd probably be one of the easiest to update to 3e, come to think of it. A straight-line paragon with a power-loss drawback is a straight-line paragon with a power-loss drawback, after all...
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'

Unbeliever
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Unbeliever »

Personally, and this is coming from someone who liberally uses your builds as inspirations (even though I don't get the chance to play nearly the amount of M&M I'd like to ... silly work), I kind of like the inconsistencies in the builds. It's kind of cool that there are a few different ways to approach GL builds and so on on this thread, although it occurs to me that's a big part of the benefit of the ATT.

This transition time is going to be killer, though. I really hope GR gets 3E out soon!

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Taliesin »

Narsil wrote:Yes, you'd better. :P

Though he'd probably be one of the easiest to update to 3e, come to think of it. A straight-line paragon with a power-loss drawback is a straight-line paragon with a power-loss drawback, after all...
You'd think so, wouldn't you? *whistles*
Unbeliever wrote:Personally, and this is coming from someone who liberally uses your builds as inspirations (even though I don't get the chance to play nearly the amount of M&M I'd like to ... silly work), I kind of like the inconsistencies in the builds. It's kind of cool that there are a few different ways to approach GL builds and so on on this thread, although it occurs to me that's a big part of the benefit of the ATT.

This transition time is going to be killer, though. I really hope GR gets 3E out soon!
Eh, I suppose that's a nice way of looking at it. The inconsistencies really come from the fact that I've kept evolving my design approach to these character, so I tend to look at the earlier builds as outdated, because I think of the newer builds as better reflecting how I think the characters should look. But it's nice of you to find use for my outdated builds.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Narsil »

I have to admit also that I'm fond of the earlier variable power approach for Green Lanterns because what they do does strike me as fundamentally a variable thing; they do so many insanely different things from issue to issue that it's hard to say definitively that it's basically just power-stunting and personal style. Hal Jordan's manifesting an electric chair to kill Sinestro, for instance. Or the medical equipment of Soranik Natu. It's hard to put that down as mere manifestations of 'Create Object'.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Taliesin »

Well, I'd say that 95% of what a GL does can be categorized as Move Object, Blast, Create Object, or Summon. Soranik's medical equipment can kind of be Move Object, while the electric chair is just a fancy Blast.