Prodigy Duck's Beastiary and More (Allabar)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Alter Self

Post by Setothes » Thu May 21, 2009 7:52 pm

bblackmoor wrote:Do slow fade and total fade make sense for Alter Self?
Nor really, and Morph would probably be a better base power for Disguise Self than for Alter Self.

Alter Self creates very real physical changes, that can add natural armor, swim speeds, flying speeds, etc. so Shapeshifting 1 would probably work better there.

M&M lacks a numeric duration in most instances, going from Concentration to Sustained. The writer on that site may have been trying to use a Total Fade / Slow Fade kludge to assign a numeric duration (25 minutes, in this case) to his Alter Self.

A Sustained duration with the Independent extra (assuming that the Alter Self spell is part of a Magic array) might be a better way of doing this, then putting in the limited duration as a -1 pt Drawback or something.

(Note that I haven't seen Warlocks & Warriors yet, as it hasn't hit my local gaming store, so there might be something in there to deal with this sort of direct AD&D 'duration in rounds' conversion that I'm not yet aware of.)

bblackmoor
Champion
Champion

Re: Alter Self

Post by bblackmoor » Thu May 21, 2009 7:55 pm

Setothes wrote:Nor really, and Morph would probably be a better base power for Disguise Self than for Alter Self.
Cool, I will check into that.
Setothes wrote:M&M lacks a numeric duration in most instances, going from Concentration to Sustained. The writer on that site may have been trying to use a Total Fade / Slow Fade kludge to assign a numeric duration (25 minutes, in this case) to his Alter Self.
I am the writer of that site, but I got the spell write up from Prodigy Duck in this thread, which is why I asked here. But I get what you are saying about the duration. I will give that some thought.
Fight rule bloat: stick to the core rules... as much as possible.
Me :: RPG Library

bblackmoor
Champion
Champion

Independent

Post by bblackmoor » Thu May 21, 2009 8:08 pm

Come to think of it, what is "Independent (+0)"? I don't see that extra listed in M&M.

It seems to me that increasing the duration from Sustained to Continuous (a +1 extra) would be what's needed for a spell that keeps going even if you are unconscious.

Inviktus
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Independent

Post by Inviktus » Fri May 22, 2009 12:18 am

bblackmoor wrote:Come to think of it, what is "Independent (+0)"? I don't see that extra listed in M&M.
It's under power modifiers (pg. 100) in Ultimate Power.

bblackmoor
Champion
Champion

Post by bblackmoor » Fri May 22, 2009 8:18 am

Inviktus wrote:
bblackmoor wrote:Come to think of it, what is "Independent (+0)"? I don't see that extra listed in M&M.
It's under power modifiers (pg. 100) in Ultimate Power.
Ah, I see. I am usually averse to system bloat via the "latest and greatest power from the Ultimate Guide To Pointed Sticks", but in this case, that extra seems appropriate for this purpose. And that in turn explains the Total Fade/Slow fade. Thanks.

Inviktus
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Inviktus » Fri May 22, 2009 10:11 am

bblackmoor wrote:Ah, I see. I am usually averse to system bloat via the "latest and greatest power from the Ultimate Guide To Pointed Sticks"
I don't consider all Green Ronin supplements for M&M to be mandatory, but in my opinion every GM should have a copy of Ultimate Power. It vastly expands and improves understanding of power building, which is a very good thing.

bblackmoor
Champion
Champion

Post by bblackmoor » Fri May 22, 2009 10:13 am

I do have them all, but I am very leery about using any of it in our games. I guess White Wolf and WotC pretty much soured me on the whole premise of coming out with book after book of "The Ultimate Guide to [Whatever]".

input.jack
Comrade
Comrade

Post by input.jack » Fri May 22, 2009 11:23 am

Ive been very happy with Green Ronin about -not- having that much "system creep". Basically, Ultimate Powers is the only additional book I think a GM "needs".

All the other books are great, and Ive gotten everything theyve put out for M&M so far, but the material in them is usually pretty setting-specific, and generally speaking doesnt expand the game mechanics. Its more like setting info and some examples of what to do in the setting in question (like Golden Age). Even the Mastermind's Manual has suggestions for options, rather than standardized changes.

So while I can totally understand your reservations, Bblackmoor, I think that you might want to reconsider Ultimate Powers.

Actually, the only thing about that book that strikes me as unfortunate is the name, for the exact reason that it makes it sound like a WOTC splat-book.
My fingers and my brain work at different speeds. Please forgive my typoes

My Flintlock Fantasy thread
My DC Thread
My Art Thread

Gothenem
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gothenem » Fri May 22, 2009 12:08 pm

I am going to have to whole-heartedly agree with input.jack.

Ultimate Power is well worth the use, and really, the only book that a GM should require, if for no other reason than to help understand the building of a power.

The various setting books do not really expand on the rules, oh each has a handfull of feats and some equipment (which you could have built on your own really).

I think Warlocks and Warriors was the crunchiest of the books, and it really just had 'this is how you use the main rules in a D&D-like fantasy setting'.

Even the new powers in the book are stated as being the Magic power with these extras/flaws, thus, they can be replicated with nothing but the main book.

One of the things I like about the system is that its so versatile, subsequent setting books only give you examples of how to use "X" powers in "Y" setting.

MorningKnight
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by MorningKnight » Fri May 22, 2009 3:30 pm

UP is a great book. And a required download for those who have HeroLab.

It's not perfect though. I've chosen to ignore the suggestion of AP'ing Flight and Space Travel off each other.

Inviktus
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Inviktus » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:58 am

Just wanted to chime in and say thank you Prodigy Duck!

I've nabbed many of the conversions from this thread for an upcoming game session.

Inviktus
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Inviktus » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:04 pm

prodigyduck wrote:I coudn't think of any proper way to create a Passwall spell, which the Blue Slaad are supposed to have. Any suggestions?
What about something like:

Insubstantial 4 (Power Feat: Slow Fade 4, Extra: Affects Others +0, Area Line +1, Independent +0, Total Fade +1, Affects Objects +0, Flaws: Limited (Objects of hardness 6 or less) -1)

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by prodigyduck » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:38 pm

Inviktus wrote:
prodigyduck wrote:I coudn't think of any proper way to create a Passwall spell, which the Blue Slaad are supposed to have. Any suggestions?
What about something like:

Insubstantial 4 (Power Feat: Slow Fade 4, Extra: Affects Others +0, Area Line +1, Independent +0, Total Fade +1, Affects Objects +0, Flaws: Limited (Objects of hardness 6 or less) -1)
This looks pretty nice.

Sorry to not have been posting recently, folks. I have been super-busy with art projects and the Pathfinder game I am not running (you should see the map; it has gotten out of hand).

I hope to be back and converting soon.
"Terrorism is the tactic of the weak." -Reza Aslan, Muslim Scholar

Mediocrity always attacks excellence.

Please see my MnM Beastiary.

ZedZed77
Bystander
Bystander

Post by ZedZed77 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:23 pm

Thank you for these wonderful conversions, Prodigyduck. They've proven useful in a Forgotten Realms game I'm running.

All the best for your future projects.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by prodigyduck » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:02 pm

ETTIN (PL 8, Minion 6)

Attributes
STR 23 (+6), DEX 8 (-1), CON 15 (+2), INT 6 (-2), WIS 10 (+0), CHA 11 (+0)

Combat
Attack +6 (+7 base, -2 size), Damage +6 (unarmed), +9 (morningstar), +8 (javelin), Defense 16 (Flat-Footed 12), Initiative +3

Saves
TGH +7, Fort +9, Ref +2, Will +3

Feats
Equipment 2, Improved Initiative, Power Attack

Skills
Notice 8 (+8]

Powers
Duplication 5 (Power Feat: Innate, Extra: Duration – Continuous [+1], Flaw: Head only [allows additional standard action for attacking, but no other actions such as moving; -1]) (11pp)
Growth 6 (Power Feat: Innate, Extra: Duration – Continuous [+1], Flaw: Permanent [-1]) (19pp)
Protection 5 (5pp)
Super-Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) (1pp)

Equipment
Morningstar, Javelin

Ability Scores: -5, Skills 2, Feats 4, Powers 36, Combat 28, Saves 13, - Drawbacks 0 = 78

:!: The most difficult part of the Ettin was his extra head. I used Duplication for simulating the "Superior Two-Weapon Fighting" ability. Basically, with the Flaw listed, the ettin gets two attack actions, but not two move actions. Otherwise, he is big and likes to hit things.
"Terrorism is the tactic of the weak." -Reza Aslan, Muslim Scholar

Mediocrity always attacks excellence.

Please see my MnM Beastiary.