Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Mistwolf's Builds: John Byrne's Next Men

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Postby Mistwolf » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:40 pm

“What we’re trying to do is stop a tyrannical religious order from killing off half of the galaxy in some mad purge and save the other half from enslavement. We’re trying to stop an organization which has perverted a basic and fine aspect of the human condition into something dark and hateful. We’re trying to bring a little light into the darkness, a little hope into the void. If it takes deceit to accomplish this, well, you better believe I’ll be deceitful.”

Vanth Dreadstar [Dreadstar #1-14]

Power Level: 15 (225 pp)

Abilities: STR: 27 (+8), DEX: 15 (+2), CON: 21 (+5), INT: 15 (+2), WIS: 15 (+2), CHA: 19 (+4)

Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+6), Bluff 4 (+8), Climb 4 (+12), Computers 4 (+6), Diplomacy 4 (+8), Intimidate 8 (+12), Knowledge [Current Events] 8 (+10), Knowledge [Technology] 4 (+6), Notice 4 (+6), Pilot 6 (+8), Sense Motive 6 (+8), Survival 8 (+10)

Feats: All-Out Attack, Assessment, Attack Specialization [Sword] (2), Elusive Target, Equipment (2), Fearless, Fearsome Presence, Improved Critical [Sword] (3), Improved Initiative, Inspire, Leadership, Luck (2), Power Attack, Teamwork (2)

Powers: Device 18 (Sword - hard to lose; Absorption 15 (Energy Damage; Boosts Blast or Strength; Alternate Power: Deflect 20 (Energy Attacks)), Immunity 1 (Aging), Strike 12 (Feat: Mighty; Extra: Penetrating); 72 pp), Mind Shield 9 (9 pp), Regeneration 17 (Recovery Bonus 5, Recovery Rate 3 (on each condition), Ability Damage 3; 17 pp)

Equipment: Blaster Pistol (as core rules; 10 ep)

Combat: Attack +6 (+10 w/ Sword); Damage +8 (Unarmed), +5 (Blaster Pistol), +20 (Sword; Penetrating; 17-20 Crit); Defense +5 (+25 w/ Deflect); Initiative +6

Saves: Toughness +5, Fortitude +13, Reflex +7, Will +6 (+15 w/ Mind Shield)

Abilities 52 + Skills 16 + Feats 20 + Powers 98 + Combat 22 + Saves 17 = 225

My Thoughts:

*Here is Vanth Dreadstar as he appears in Dreadstar #1-14.

*At the beginning of Dreadstar #12, Vanth ditches his Blaster Pistol when he changes his costume (as Willow points out, with his sword, he really doesn’t need a pistol). With the two extra PP he gets for ditching his Equipment, he gains one more rank of Teamwork (for having worked with the others for a while) and the Connected Feat (for the contacts he is establishing in the Monarchy and the Commune). His PP will get switched around even further with the changes that take place in Dreadstar #15 (which will be a separate build).
Last edited by Mistwolf on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xander: "Generally speaking, when scary things get scared, not good."
Mistwolf
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Mistwolf » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:07 pm

“My job’s to stand watch. The ideal task for a blind telepath.”

Willow and Rainbow

Power Level: 12 (180 pp)

Abilities: STR: 14 (+2), DEX: 16 (+3), CON: 15 (+2), INT: 16 (+3), WIS: 16 (+3), CHA: 14 (+2)

Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+7), Computers 12 (+15), Concentration 8 (+11), Disable Device 12 (+15), Handle Animal 4 (+6), Knowledge [Current Events] 8 (+11), Knowledge [Technology] 12 (+15), Notice 8 (+11), Pilot 4 (+7), Search 8 (+11), Sense Motive 8 (+11)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Ambidexterity, Attack Specialization [Pistols] (4), Attractive, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (6), Dodge Focus (10), Equipment (6), Inventor, Minion [Rainbow (as per monkey in the core rules, pg. 230)] (2), Precise Shot (2), Teamwork (3), Uncanny Dodge [Mental]

Powers: Telepathy 12 (Dynamic; Extra: Wide Array; Dynamic Alternate Powers: Animal Control, Datalink, Machine Control, Mental Blast, Mind Control (Flaw: Limited to beings with Intelligence 8 or below), Sensory Link, Stun, Telekinesis (see note below), Telelocation; 55 pp)

Equipment: Blaster Pistols (x2; as core rules; Extra: Autofire; 30 ep)

Combat: Attack +4 (+12 w/ Pistols); Damage +2 (Unarmed), +5 (Pistols; Autofire), +6 (Mental Blast); Defense +6 (+16 w/ Dodge Focus); Initiative +3

Saves: Toughness +2 (+8 w/ Defensive Roll), Fortitude +3, Reflex +7, Will +12

Drawback: Disability (Blind; Uncommon Frequency, Minor Intensity; 1 pp)

Abilities 31 + Skills 22 + Feats 39 + Powers 55 + Combat 20 + Saves 14 – Drawbacks 1 = 180

My Thoughts:

*Willow is the resident telepath of Dreadstar and Company. Rainbow is her pet monk (as they are called in that galaxy), and she uses her Sensory Link through his eyes to see. Although she is not the powerhouse that Vanth or Syzygy are, she can hold her own in a fight.

*Her Telekinesis does not show up until Dreadstar #27. Until that time, the two extra PP from that aspect of her Telepathy Array are shifted over to one point each in her Fort and Reflex Saves (no particular reason, it just makes life easier!)

*I always thought that Willow bore a striking resemblance to Scarlett from G.I. Joe, and have always wondered if it was coincidence or if the visual appearance of one inspired the other.
Mistwolf
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby tylrlsaa » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:48 am

Dreadstar! I loved this comic!
There are three kinds of lies.
Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

-Mark Twain
tylrlsaa
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Mistwolf » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:22 am

“...for I am Turkey Volume Guessing Man!”

Turkey Volume Guessing Man

Power Level: 3 (45 pp; combat PL 1)

Abilities: STR: 12 (+1), DEX: 10 (+0), CON: - , INT: 15 (+2), WIS: 15 (+2), CHA: 14 (+2)

Skills: Knowledge [Pop Culture] 8 (+10)

Powers: Feature 1 (Can guess the number of turkeys it would take to fill any given space; 1 pp), Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects; 30 pp), Protection 1 (1 pp)

Combat: Attack +1; Damage +1 (Unarmed); Defense +1; Initiative +0

Saves: Toughness +1, Fortitude - , Reflex +0, Will +2

Abilities 7 + Skills 2 + Powers 32 + Combat 4 = 45 pp

My Thoughts

*A Thanksgiving inspired build for everyone who’s celebrating the holiday today. This is Turkey Volume Guessing Man, who appeared in a bit in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 classic episode, #814, Riding with Death. You can view the video here (it’s the first 3 minutes of the video), or if you have a slower connection, you can read a transcript here.

*What happened to inspire the bit: In the movie that Mike and the bots are watching, the hero (using the term loosely) of the movie calls a couple of bad guys “turkeys”. Of course, the MST3K guys latched onto the term and sprinkled it throughout the rest of the episode, culminating in the Turkey Volume Guessing Man bit.

*I hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
Mistwolf
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Mistwolf » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:27 am

King Gregzor: “You have so much to hate this empire for... you saved it... how can the realm ever repay you?”
Oedi: “You can’t.”

Oedi

Power Level: 10 (165 pp)

Abilities: STR: 20 (+5), DEX: 24 (+7), CON: 18 (+4), INT: 18 (+4), WIS:16 (+3), CHA: 14 (+2)

Skills: Acrobatics 12 (+19)*, Climb 8 (+13), Craft [Electronic] 4 (+8), Craft [Mechanical] 4 (+8), Knowledge [Current Events] 8 (+12), Knowledge [Technology] 4 (+8), Notice 12 (+15)*, Pilot 8 (+15), Search 12 (+16)*, Sense Motive 8 (+11), Stealth 8 (+15)*, Survival 4 (+7)

Feats: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Ambidexterity, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Dodge Focus (10), Elusive Target, Equipment (6), Evasion (2), Improved Defense (2), Precise Shot (2), Second Chance [Reflex Save], Skill Mastery [Acrobatics, Notice, Search, Stealth], Teamwork (2), Uncanny Dodge [Smell]

Powers: Strike 3 (Claws; Extra: Penetrating; 6 pp), Super-Senses 7 (Normal Hearing (Accurate), Normal Smell (Accurate, Acute, Tracking), Low-Light Vision; 7 pp)

Equipment: Blaster Pistols (x2, as core rules; Extra: Autofire; 30 ep)

Combat: Attack +15; Damage +5 (Unarmed or Blaster Pistols), +3 (Claws; Penetrating); Defense +4 (+14 w/ Dodge Focus); Initiative +7

Saves: Toughness +4 (+6 w/ Defensive Roll), Fortitude +4, Reflex +14, Will +3

Abilities 50 + Skills 23 + Feats 34 + Powers 13 + Combat 38 + Saves 7 = 165

My Thoughts

*Continuing the Dreadstar builds with Oedi, the peaceful farmer turned deadly warrior. He’s one of my favorite characters in the series.
Mistwolf
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Mistwolf » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:23 am

“Did ya expect me ta hobnob with high society without a proper shave? That’d be uncouth.”

Skeevo Phlatus

Power Level: 8 (75 pp)

Abilities: STR: 18 (+4), DEX: 12 (+1), CON: 18 (+4), INT: 14 (+2), WIS: 14 (+2), CHA: 16 (+3)

Skills: Bluff 13 (+16), Diplomacy 9 (+12), Gather Information 9 (+12), Pilot 4 (+5), Sense Motive 5 (+7)

Feats: Attack Specialization [Pistol] (4), Connected, Contacts, Dodge Focus (4), Equipment (2), Taunt, Teamwork (2), Tough (4)

Equipment: Blaster Pistol (as core rules; 10 ep)

Combat: Attack +3 (+11 w/ Pistol); Damage +4 (Unarmed), +5 (Pistol); Defense +4 (+8 w/ Dodge Focus); Initiative +1

Saves: Toughness +4 (+8 w/ Tough), Fortitude +4, Reflex +1, Will +2

Abilities 32 + Skills 10 + Feats 19 + Combat 14 = 75

My Thoughts:

*Skeevo is the next member of Dreadstar and Company.

*He’s a very inexpensive PL 8 because, although he can hold his own in a fight, he’s not the warrior that the rest of the group is. His strengths lie in his Skills (especially his Bluff). He is the primary source of comic relief in the group.
Mistwolf
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Mistwolf » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:55 am

“It’s all over, infidel! Now you shall die!”

Cardinal Spydar

Power Level: 10 (80 pp)

Abilities: STR: 12 (+1), DEX: 14 (+2), CON: 13 (+1), INT: 16 (+3), WIS: 16 (+3), CHA: 14 (+2)

Skills: Concentration 8 (+11), Diplomacy 4 (+6), Knowledge [Theology and Philosophy] 12 (+15)

Feats: Attack Specialization [Magic] (3), Benefit [Status - Cardinal of the Instrumentality], Connected, Equipment, Power Attack

Powers: Magic 12 (Blast - Dynamic; Alternate Power: Force Field - Dynamic (Extra: Impervious); 27 pp)

Equipment: Costume (+2 Toughness; Subtle; 3 ep), 2 ep extra

Combat: Attack +2 (+8 w/ Magic); Damage +1 (Unarmed), +12 (Magic Blast); Defense +5; Initiative

Saves: Toughness +1 (+3 w/ Costume, +15 (12 Impervious) w/ Force Field), Fortitude +1, Reflex +2, Will +6

Drawback: Power Loss (Magic; When unable to use hands; 1 pp)

Abilities 25 + Skills 6 + Feats 7 + Powers 27 + Combat 14 + Saves 2 - Drawbacks 1 = 80

My Thoughts:

*Cardinal Spydar is a fairly minor foe of Dreadstar and Company, only popping up on a few occasions (which is why he has relatively few PP spent for his PL). But he definitely warrants a build done of him, since he hatches a plot that plagues our heroes for about 15 issues (give or take).
Mistwolf
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Mistwolf » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:27 pm

“Tuetun smash!”

Tuetun

Power Level: 10 (65 pp)

Abilities: STR: 18 [30] (+10), DEX: 10 (+0), CON: 20 [26] (+8), INT: 8 (-1), WIS: 8 (-1), CHA: 10 (+0)

Skills: Intimidate 8 (+8/+10 (Growth))

Feats: All-Out Attack, Attack Specialization [Unarmed] (3), Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Power Attack

Powers: Growth 6 (+12 Str, +6 Con, -1 Combat Modifier, +2 Intimidation Modifier; Feat: Innate; Extra: Continuous; Flaw: Permanent; 19 pp), Protection 10 (10 pp)

Combat: Attack +0 (+6 Unarmed (-1 modifier already added in)); Damage +10 (Unarmed); Defense +2; Initiative +0

Saves: Toughness +8 (+18 w/ Toughness), Fortitude +15, Reflex +0, Will -1

Abilities 14 + Skills 2 + Feats 7 + Powers 29 + Combat 6 + Saves 7 = 65

My Thoughts:

*Tuetun popped up twice in the first thirty issues of Dreadstar. He tried hard to be a threat to the group, but he was mostly played for laughs, particularly in his second appearance.

*He was dirt cheap to build, as most big, dumb guys are. A lack of any real Skills, not very many Feats, and only a couple of very basic Powers helped to make him quick and easy to put together.

*He does pop up later on in the Dreadstar series, after the first 30 issues or so of Dreadstar (the primary focus of these builds), and when he does come back, it was in a pretty neat way.
Mistwolf
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: #18

Postby Mistwolf » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:29 am

Mistwolf wrote:Image

Mad-Dog

Power Level: 10 (150 pp)

Abilities: STR: 14 [22] (+6), DEX: 14 [26] (+8), CON: 14 [22] (+6), INT: 12 (+1), WIS: 10 (+0), CHA: 10 (+0)

Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+16), Bluff 8 (+8), Intimidate 8 (+10), Knowledge [Tactics] 4 (+5), Notice 8 (+8), Pilot 8 (+16), Search 4 (+5), Sense Motive 8 (+8), Stealth 8 (+16), Survival 4 (+4)

Feats: Acrobatic Bluff, All-Out Attack, Attack Specialization [Strike] (4), Defensive Roll (4), Dodge Focus (8), Elusive Target, Evasion, Fearless, Improved Critical [Strike] (2), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Rage [10 rounds] (2), Sneak Attack (2), Uncanny Dodge [Hearing, Smell] (2)

Powers: Enhanced Constitution 8 (8 pp), Enhanced Dexterity 12 (12 pp), Enhanced Strength 8 (8 pp), Mind Shield 8 (8 pp), Paralyze 8 (Extras: Poison, Linked to Strike, Alternate Save (Fort); 24 pp), Strike 4 (Feats: Mighty, Penetrating; Extra: Linked to Paralyze; 6 pp), Super-Senses 9 (Normal Smell (Accurate, Acute, Tracking), Normal Hearing (Accurate, Extended), Ultra-Hearing; 9 pp)

Combat: Attack +2 (+10 w/ Strike); Damage +6 (unarmed), +10 (Strike; 4 Penetrating, 18-20 Crit); Defense +2 (+10 w/ Dodge Focus); Initiative +12

Saves: Toughness+6 (+10 w/ Defensive Roll), Fortitude +6, Reflex +11, Will +2

Abilities 14 + Skills 17 + Feats 31 + Powers 75 + Combat 8 + Saves 5 = 150

My Thoughts

*Here we have Hellcat's ex-husband, Defenders villain, and poor man's Sabretooth.

*The idea is that when his Strike hits someone, it unleashes a toxin that can paralyze them. Man, was that a pain to figure out how to work in game terms. No Extras or Bonuses really cover "if X power hits, then Y power can then happen", at least, not how the toxin should probably work. I eventually ended up taking a pretty expensive route for his Paralyzing toxin to function how I think it should.

*The only appearance I have of this guy is a from an issue of Solo Avengers (though it may have been retitled Avengers Spotlight by then), where he fought against (who else?) Hellcat. And that is where my familiarity with him ends. Had to look him up in my old TSR Marvel Super-Heroes game to get an idea of his stats.

Edit:
Finally came across what I had been looking for, but couldn't find when doing his build, and trying to get the Strike and Paralyzing toxin to work in conjunction: Linked Extra! So Mad-Dog gets a few more points to spend, which gets him some new Feats and an even better Reflex Save.

EDIT (11-23-07):
As was pointed out to me in a PM from Superdad, I neglected to give Mad-Dog's Paralyze an Alternate Save Extra, to reflect its toxic nature. Funny thing is, I checked my notes for when I was building him, and I had it written down, it just didn't make the transition from paper to computer monitor. So all is good now, I hope. Also took a moment to clean up how his Super-Senses are listed, following the format I started using later on.

Mad-Dog gets some minor changes done to him.
Mistwolf
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: #188

Postby Thorpacolypse » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:22 am

Mistwolf wrote:Image

“...for I am Turkey Volume Guessing Man!”

Turkey Volume Guessing Man

Power Level: 3 (45 pp; combat PL 1)

My Thoughts

*A Thanksgiving inspired build for everyone who’s celebrating the holiday today. This is Turkey Volume Guessing Man, who appeared in a bit in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 classic episode, #814, Riding with Death. You can view the video here (it’s the first 3 minutes of the video), or if you have a slower connection, you can read a transcript here.

*What happened to inspire the bit: In the movie that Mike and the bots are watching, the hero (using the term loosely) of the movie calls a couple of bad guys “turkeys”. Of course, the MST3K guys latched onto the term and sprinkled it throughout the rest of the episode, culminating in the Turkey Volume Guessing Man bit.

*I hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

*Sigh* I miss MST3K.

Thanks for the flashback to innovative TV! :)
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Mistwolf » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:33 am

I've found that rifftrax are a great cure for missing MST3K :)
Mistwolf
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Mistwolf » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:59 am

Just wanted to throw out a plug for a board that Superdad is using to run M&M fights. He has posted a fight between USAgent and Shatterstar, and he just finished a match-up between my builds of Mad-Dog and Puma (which was a great fight!). And he's taking votes on a "Who Should Fight Thanos?" thread. So go and check it out here. You'll have to send a request to join the group to check out the M&M stuff.
Mistwolf
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Libra » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:26 pm

Keep up the good work Mistwolf! :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.
Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Mistwolf » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:29 am

Vanth Dreadstar: “But let’s just say we had been the assassins. Your royal guard wouldn’t have proved much protection...”
Z: “In that case, I would have stepped in.”

Z

Power Level: 15 (225 pp)

Abilities: STR: 13 [25] (+7), DEX: 13 (+1), CON: 15 [25] (+7), INT: 23 (+6), WIS: 25 (+7), CHA: 20 (+5)

Skills: Computers 12 (+18), Craft [Mechanical] 12 (+18), Diplomacy 8 (+13), Intimidate 12 (+17), Knowledge [Current Events] 12 (+18), Knowledge [Technology] 12 (+18), Notice 12 (+19), Search 8 (+14), Sense Motive 12 (+19), Pilot 8 (+9)

Feats: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Attack Specialization [Blast] (4), Benefit [Status - Vizier to King Gregzor], Connected, Contacts, Fearless, Fearsome Presence (2), Improved Initiative, Luck (2), Master Plan, Power Attack, Seize Initiative, Well-Informed

Powers: Device 20 (Suit - hard to lose; Blast 15 (Laser; Alternate Power: Blast 10 (Projectiles; Extra: Autofire), Communication 9 (Radio), Enhanced Constitution 10, Enhanced Strength 12, Immunity 19 (Life Support, Mental Effects), Protection 13, Super-Movement 2 (Air Walking); 80 pp)

Combat: Attack +7 (+15 w/ Blast); Damage +7 (Unarmed), +10 (Projectiles), +15 (Laser); Defense +10; Initiative +5

Saves: Toughness +7 (+20 w/ Protection), Fortitude +13, Reflex +7, Will +15

Drawback: Disability (One arm; Very Common Frequency, Moderate Intensity; 4 pp)

Abilities 49 + Skills 27 + Feats 19 + Powers 80 + Combat 34 + Saves 20 – Drawbacks 4 = 225

My Thoughts:

*Z is quite a major presence in Dreadstar #4-10.

*He’s a very formidable foe, culminating in a showdown between him and Vanth in Dreadstar #9-10.
Mistwolf
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Mistwolf » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:53 am

“Not even doctors are totally immune to media hype.”

Doctor Delphi

Power Level: 7 (50 pp; Combat PL 3)

Abilities: STR: 13 (+1), DEX: 13 (+1), CON: 13 (+1), INT: 17 (+3), WIS: 17 (+3), CHA: 13 (+1)

Skills: Diplomacy 4 (+5), Craft [Mechanical] 4 (+7), Knowledge [Life Sciences] 12 (+15), Knowledge [Physical Sciences] 4 (+7), Knowledge [Technology] 4 (+7), Medicine 12 (+15), Notice 4 (+7), Sense Motive 4 (+7)

Feats: Equipment

Equipment: Suit (+3 Toughness), 2 ep extra

Combat: Attack +3; Damage +1 (Unarmed); Defense +2; Initiative +1

Saves: Toughness +1 (+4 w/ Suit), Fortitude +1, Reflex +1, Will +4

Abilities 26 + Skills 12 + Feats 1 + Combat 10 + Saves 1 = 50

My Thoughts

*Doctor Delphi joins up with Dreadstar and Company in issue #12. He is a non-combatant and, since he’s not around for too long, he’s not very well developed, so he’s a very cheap build, hitting his non-combat PL with a couple of Skills.
Mistwolf
Sidekick
Sidekick

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call