JDRook's Originals: Earthshift Chase, Street Mage & 1st test

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

JDRook's Originals: Earthshift Chase, Street Mage & 1st test

Postby JDRook » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:38 pm

It is time.

I've been lurking around the boards for a while, collected up the books, bought HeroLab and started getting all invasive and comment-y. I figure it's time to take this to the next level and carve out my own Roll Call thread.

I won't pretend to be as awesome as many of the regulars here, but most of them seem to be both humble and supportive, so hopefully my awesome-lacking won't be a problem.

My main intent is to post some of my original characters (many of which I'll be dragging from other systems) and possibly some published ones, though likely not as many as most others. I tend to "scavenge" most of my media from friends, the library, and the infinite reaches of the Interwebs, and don't own any comics of my own (although I have just finished the entire Sandman series and did just buy the Watchmen TPB in preparation for the film opening next week). Because of this, I don't feel I have as good a grasp of most popular characters as many of the people here, so I'll likely just respectfully steal their work and use it for my own twisted means. This may change, but I suspect I'd stat up, say, the entire cast of Bones before I'd touch any of the Bat-family.

I'll probably try to do a few mock combats, and likely work on my storytelling skills as well. This, along with my builds, will hopefully elicit feedback that, while not always positive, will at least be constructive.

Artwork is something I'd like to look into as well. Once I have some concepts solidified, I hope to encourage my artistically inclined friends to throw together some images for me. This will probably take a few months.

Hopefully this endeavour holds my attention for more than a week. Then I can replace all this blather with something more interesting, like an index.

Let us begin . . .
Last edited by JDRook on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:54 pm

Crystal Rosenthal

Power Level:
6; Power Points Spent: 90

Abilities: STR: +0 (10), DEX: +1 (12), CON: +0 (10), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +1 (12)

Saves: Tough: +0/+3, Fort: +2, Ref: +3, Will: +5

Skills: Concentration 4 (+7), Drive 2 (+3), Notice 4 (+7), Sense Motive 4 (+7), Prof: Theatre Technician 2 (+5)

Feats: Equipment 3, Improved Sunder, Jack-Of-All-Trades, Beginner's Luck, Eidetic Memory

Powers:
Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Light, Descriptors: Psionic)
Invisibility 4 (Total concealment from all visual senses)
Light Bending (Deflect 4) (Deflects: Energy Attacks (1/r), Alternate Powers: Color Control 4 [Alt], Power Feats: Subtle 2 (unnoticable), Extras: Ranged (Range: 400 ft.), Redirection, Reflection, Flaws: Limited 2 (Light only), Descriptors: Psionic)
Color Control 4 [Alt] (20-ft. cube; DC 14, Power Feats: Subtle 2 (unnoticable))
Stored Light (Array 7) (Default Power: Energy Aura, Alternate Powers: Laser Aura (Energy Aura 3) [Alt], Laser (Blast 6) [Alt], Point Defense (Deflect 4) [Alt], Drawbacks: Power Loss 1 (Damage/Effect rank dependent on sufficient light))
Laser Aura (Energy Aura 3) [Alt] (DC 18, Energy Type: Light, Power Feats: Selective Aura)
Laser (Blast 6) [Alt] (DC 21, Feats: Improved Sunder, Power Feats: Accurate 1 (+2), Subtle 1 (subtle), Drawbacks: Lethal)
Point Defense (Deflect 4) [Alt] (Deflects: Fast + Slow (2/r), Power Feats: Subtle 2 (unnoticable), Extras: Ranged (Range: 400 ft.))
Super-Senses 2 (Infravision, Ultravision)

Equipment: Undercover Vest; Cell Phone; Light Bike

Combat

Attack Bonus: +3 (Ranged: +3, Melee: +3, Grapple: +3)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +3 (DC 15), Color Control 4 [Alt], +3 (DC Ref 14), Laser Aura (Energy Aura 3) [Alt], +3 (DC 18), Laser (Blast 6) [Alt], +5 (DC 21)

Defense: +4 (Flat-footed: +2), Knockback: -1

Initiative: +1

Languages: Native Language

Totals: Abilities 14 + Skills 4 (16 ranks) + Feats 6 + Powers 46 + Combat 14 + Saves 6 + Drawbacks 0 = 90

Complications: Responsibility (Theatre work), Family (Son Michael)

Height: 5'5"
Weight: 125 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Auburn
Race: Human

Background: Forthcoming

Powers & Tactics: Crystal is a photokinetic, a light manipulator, and can see into the infrared and ultraviolet spectrums. Her control is most fine at close range, particularly at body surface level, allowing her to bend light around her body at a reflexive level, making her effectively immune to any kind of light-based attack and allowing her to become completely invisible. This surface-level control is also the only way she can "store" sufficient light to allow her to use some of her other powers. This stored light goes around her body laser-like in seemingly random patterns, and can be potentially damaging.

Her ranged effects are less refined, allow her to alter the direction and colour of light. When she has enough light, she can also "throw" coherent beams exactly like a laser. She doesn't wish to hurt anyone with this, however, and will more likely use the laser on inanimate objects, like held weapons or projectiles.

Crystal has some rudimentary self-defense training, but isn't going to jump into any volatile situation if she can avoid it. Fortunately, with her invisibility and her ability to make most of ranged attacks invisible as well, she can handle many threats at a safe distance. If attacks do locate her and/or get too close, she can also stunt a Dazzle off of her aura.

:arrow: Crystal, like many of my builds, is a combination of inspirations from several sources. For one, there really was a Jean Rosenthal who was a pioneer in lighting design for stage, which I found out about while taking a lighting course in university. Another source was from playing with powers from Heroes Unlimited, and wondering how some of the minor powers would behave if you layered them on 5 or 6 times, and most of Crystal's powers are based on the Bend Light power. As for the single mother idea, I can't even remember what sparked that, although after deciding Crystal had to be a stage technician of some sort, and having seen (or been) a stage manager in action on any number of shows I've done, the SM is very much a parental figure for a performance, and that level of responsibility coupled with a relatively low recognition factor (compared to actors) informs a lot of what I wanted to play with in Crystal's personality.

:arrow: This is a stripped-down version of one of my favourite original characters, and therefore a good place to start. She's also had many variations, most of which I hope to post in the coming weeks. Crystal has been a magic-based flying Light Controller, a preteen who could be blinded by radio waves, a 20th century human made of light reformed in the 30th century, and even a Naruto-style Ninja with katas based around glass spheres (that last one's a pretty loose connection, and was also male). I've also got ideas for a low-grade battlesuit version and a full-projection hologram of Errol Flynn.

:arrow: I used Instant Superheroes, combining the Psionic and Energy Controller for a base PL 6 template. I see her as being reticent but strong-willed, so high Wisdom and Will makes sense to me, and defining the power as photokinesis without light generation tied the concept together well.

:arrow: Skillswise, I'd wanted to make her a JoaT before anyway, to fit with with two jobs of stage Technician for a small theatre and single mom. With that plus Eidetic Memory as a function of her PK (can remember anything she sees - assume non-visual information she can't remember would just be a complication), I figure it wasn't a big step to give her Beginner's Luck and make her a pocket skills monkey.

:arrow: Powers is always tricky, especially with my insistence that she can't make her own light, but this became a lot easier once I dispensed with the idea of even using Absorption and just made the powers with a Power Loss based on avaiable light. May add a limited Absorption that only absorbs Light attacks above PL6 so she can throw back any heavy attacks from other energy controller types, or just hope a GM would be good with stunting that.

:arrow: The "Light Bike" is exactly like the the standard motorcyle, with the modification of a Touch Ranged Light Control 5 AP'd off Speed, which in practice would be a toggle that switches the engine to powering full-spectrum lights scattered all over the bike, thus giving Crystal a source on those dark nights. Obviously it can't be driven while this is on.

Eleos
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Eleos » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:00 am

Hey JDRook,

I noticed your new thread above my new thread, and hopefully we can help each other generate a little traffic. :D

I am admittedly more "fluff" than "crunch", so I really liked reading Crystal's background and how you drew on so many sources to create her. I think your variations on existing powers very creative. I especially like the "Light Bike"!

I am also impressed at how streamlined your character is in her build. Since I am not a rules guy, my builds tend to be clunky and overbought. Your character seems to pack quite a punch and have a lot of versatility for PL 6.

I look forward to seeing future builds!

-Eleos

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:16 am

Welcome to the Think Tank JD Rook. Please keep up the good work. :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:46 pm

Thanks Eleos, Libra

It's nice to know I'm not just shouting into the wind with these posts.

Glad you like my process, Eleos. As I said, this is a stripped-down version of Crystal, since I've made several iterations of her for different games and ideas. So this one would be . . . whatever the opposite of "Ultimate" version would be. I'm gonna say "Introductory" Crystal. I'm still trying to write down her background, with a nod to the real Jean Rosenthal, although I don't have a lot of biographical info about her and as near as I can tell, she never married or had children.

I'm thinking of making a series called The Crystal Chronicles and write out some of her story, roll her combats, that kind of thing. And the variants on her character I could call Crystal Facets. I'm probably going to post a few other characters first though, just for variety. Eddie will likely be next, a gravity-controlling juggler/cat burglar.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:58 pm

JDRook wrote:Crystal Rosenthal

Power Level: 6; Power Points Spent: 90

STR: +0 (10), DEX: +1 (12), CON: +0 (10), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +1 (12)

Tough: +0/+3, Fort: +2, Ref: +3, Will: +5

Skills: Concentration 4 (+7), Drive 2 (+3), Notice 4 (+7), Sense Motive 4 (+7), Prof: Theatre Technician 2 (+5)

Feats: Equipment 3, Improved Sunder, Jack-Of-All-Trades, Beginner's Luck, Eidetic Memory

Powers:
Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Light, Descriptors: Psionic)
Invisibility 4 (Total concealment from all visual senses)

Light Bending (Deflect 4) (Deflects: Energy Attacks (1/r), Alternate Powers: Color Control 4 [Alt], Power Feats: Subtle 2 (unnoticable), Extras: Ranged (Range: 400 ft.), Redirection, Reflection, Flaws: Limited 2 (Light only), Descriptors: Psionic)
Color Control 4 [Alt] (20-ft. cube; DC 14, Power Feats: Subtle 2 (unnoticable))

Stored Light (Array 7) (Default Power: Energy Aura, Alternate Powers: Laser Aura (Energy Aura 3) [Alt], Laser (Blast 6) [Alt], Point Defense (Deflect 4) [Alt], Drawbacks: Power Loss 1 (Damage/Effect rank dependent on sufficient light))
Laser Aura (Energy Aura 3) [Alt] (DC 18, Energy Type: Light, Power Feats: Selective Aura)
Laser (Blast 6) [Alt] (DC 21, Feats: Improved Sunder, Power Feats: Accurate 1 (+2), Subtle 1 (subtle), Drawbacks: Lethal)
Point Defense (Deflect 4) [Alt] (Deflects: Fast + Slow (2/r), Power Feats: Subtle 2 (unnoticable), Extras: Ranged (Range: 400 ft.))

Super-Senses 2 (Infravision, Ultravision)

Equipment: Undercover Vest; Cell Phone; Light Bike

Attack Bonus: +3 (Ranged: +3, Melee: +3, Grapple: +3)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +3 (DC 15), Color Control 4 [Alt], +3 (DC Ref 14), Laser Aura (Energy Aura 3) [Alt], +3 (DC 18), Laser (Blast 6) [Alt], +5 (DC 21)

Defense: +4 (Flat-footed: +2), Knockback: -1

Initiative: +1

Languages: English

Totals: Abilities 14 + Skills 4 (16 ranks) + Feats 6 + Powers 46 + Combat 14 + Saves 6 + Drawbacks 0 = 90

Complications: Responsibility (Theatre work), Family (Son Michael)

Height: 5'5"
Weight: 125 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Auburn
Race: Human

Background: In a way, Crystal's life had always been filled with spotlights. They were just never pointed at her. And more often than not, she was the one pointing them.

Her mother was Jean Rosenthal, one of the most gifted lighting designers of the twentieth century. And with talent came demand, and with demand came travel, all over North America and occasionally overseas, working with directors, actors, photographers, chorerographers, architects and every kind of visual or performing artist there is. Jean loved this dynamic lifestyle and did not let the birth of her child, Crystal, slow her down.

Crystal grew up in the shadows of her mother, in tech booths and backstages and green rooms around the world. Her education was piecemeal, but what it lacked in depth it made up for in diversity, learning from onset tutors, seasoned artists and technicians, voracious reading, and just observing others. She often joined actors and dancers in their group warmups, picked up stage combat and eventually even got her firearms accreditation. But her greatest education was learning the ways of light from her mother.

It had been written that Jean could "make the light run through her fingers like water in a stream," and it seemed that Crystal had that same spark about her. They would often work together, hardly needing words, to design the most celebrated works.

Then it all changed.

At one of the endless cast parties Crystal met a guy, rather liked him, drank too much, never saw him again, and nine months later gave birth to a son. It was during labour that her powers manifiested, turning her completely invisible while on the operating table and momentarily blacking out her entire wing of the hospital. On the advice of the attending doctor, who had seen this kind of thing before, she was recommended to go to Freedom City, where there was a much better understanding of this new wave of humanity.

Crystal was stunned, but was also thinking it was time to change the way she was living and give Michael, her son, some stability. She took the doctor's advice and moved to Freedom City.

Powers & Tactics: Crystal is a photokinetic, a light manipulator, and can see into the infrared and ultraviolet spectrums. Her control is most fine at close range, particularly at body surface level, allowing her to bend light around her body at a reflexive level, making her effectively immune to any kind of light-based attack and allowing her to become completely invisible. This surface-level control is also the only way she can "store" sufficient light to allow her to use some of her other powers. This stored light goes around her body laser-like in seemingly random patterns, and can be potentially damaging.

Her ranged effects are less refined, allow her to alter the direction and colour of light. When she has enough light, she can also "throw" coherent beams exactly like a laser. She doesn't wish to hurt anyone with this, however, and will more likely use the laser on inanimate objects, like held weapons or projectiles.

Crystal has some rudimentary self-defense training, but isn't going to jump into any volatile situation if she can avoid it. Fortunately, with her invisibility and her ability to make most of ranged attacks invisible as well, she can handle many threats at a safe distance. If attacks do locate her and/or get too close, she can also stunt a Dazzle off of her aura.

:arrow: Crystal, like many of my builds, is a combination of inspirations from several sources. For one, there really was a Jean Rosenthal who was a pioneer in lighting design for stage, which I found out about while taking a lighting course in university. Another source was from playing with powers from Heroes Unlimited, and wondering how some of the minor powers would behave if you layered them on 5 or 6 times, and most of Crystal's powers are based on the Bend Light power. As for the single mother idea, I can't even remember what sparked that, although after deciding Crystal had to be a stage technician of some sort, and having seen (or been) a stage manager in action on any number of shows I've done, the SM is very much a parental figure for a performance, and that level of responsibility coupled with a relatively low recognition factor (compared to actors) informs a lot of what I wanted to play with in Crystal's personality.

:arrow: This is a stripped-down version of one of my favourite original characters, and therefore a good place to start. She's also had many variations, most of which I hope to post in the coming weeks. Crystal has been a magic-based flying Light Controller, a preteen who could be blinded by radio waves, a 20th century human made of light reformed in the 30th century, and even a Naruto-style Ninja with katas based around glass spheres (that last one's a pretty loose connection, and was also male). I've also got ideas for a low-grade battlesuit version and a full-projection hologram of Errol Flynn.

:arrow: I used Instant Superheroes, combining the Psionic and Energy Controller for a base PL 6 template. I see her as being reticent but strong-willed, so high Wisdom and Will makes sense to me, and defining the power as photokinesis without light generation tied the concept together well.

:arrow: Skillswise, I'd wanted to make her a JoaT before anyway, to fit with with two jobs of stage Technician for a small theatre and single mom. With that plus Eidetic Memory as a function of her PK (can remember anything she sees - assume non-visual information she can't remember would just be a complication), I figure it wasn't a big step to give her Beginner's Luck and make her a pocket skills monkey.

:arrow: Powers is always tricky, especially with my insistence that she can't make her own light, but this became a lot easier once I dispensed with the idea of even using Absorption and just made the powers with a Power Loss based on avaiable light. May add a limited Absorption that only absorbs Light attacks above PL6 so she can throw back any heavy attacks from other energy controller types, or just hope a GM would be good with stunting that.

:arrow: The "Light Bike" is exactly like the the standard motorcyle, with the modification of a Touch Ranged Light Control 5 AP'd off Speed, which in practice would be a toggle that switches the engine to powering full-spectrum lights scattered all over the bike, thus giving Crystal a source on those dark nights. Obviously it can't be driven while this is on.

Added in some of her background, although I'm still not satisfied with it. Also tried the BBCode output from HL to see how it laid out. Not bad, but I threw in a few extra lines between powers for ease of reading.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:48 am

Eddie Stecchino

Power Level: 10; Power Points Spent: 150

STR: +7 (16/24), DEX: +6 (16/22), CON: +6 (16/22), INT: +0 (10), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +2 (14)

Tough: +6/+11, Fort: +8, Ref: +6, Will: +9

Skills: Acrobatics 6 (+12), Concentration 6 (+9), Escape Artist 6 (+12), Notice 6 (+9), Sense Motive 4 (+7), Sleight of Hand 6 (+12), Stealth 8 (+14), Perform: Street Perfomer 6 (+8)

Feats: Equipment 1, Acrobatic Bluff, Defensive Roll 2, Distract (Bluff), Fascinate (Perform), Skill Mastery - all Skills 2, Precise Shot 1

Powers:
Movement Array (Array 3) (Default Power: - Linked Powers -, Alternate Powers: Wall-Crawling (Super-Movement 2) [Alt] [Dyn: 2/r+1, max 6PP], Gravity Swinging (Linked) [Alt] [Dyn: 1/2r, max 6PP], Immovable 10 [Alt])
Wall-Crawling (Super-Movement 2) [Alt] [Dyn: 2/r+1, max 6PP] (Wall-Crawling 2 (full speed), Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle))
Gravity Swinging (Linked) [Alt] [Dyn: 1/2r, max 6PP] (Powers: Super-Movement 1 [Link], Speed 4 [Link])
Super-Movement 1 [Link] (Swinging, Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle))
Speed 4 [Link] (Speed: 100 mph, 880 ft./rnd; Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle), Flaws: Limited 1 (Swinging only))
Immovable 10 [Alt] (Resist Movement: +40, Resist Knockback: -10; Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle), Flaws: Custom 1 (Encumbering)

Notes: *Encumbering means Eddie is weighted down by the equivalent of a heavy load for rank * 5 Str for each rank of Immovable, with all penalties in effect (equivalent to a self-inflicted Gravity Control: Increase Gravity). With natural Str, Eddie can lift up to rank 1 as a light load, 2 as medium load, 3 as a heavy load and 4 as maximum. With Super Strength add +4 to each rank limit above.)

Juggling Array (Array 16) (Default Power: Deflect, Alternate Powers: A6 Automated Point Defense (Deflect 6) [Alt], Juggle Catch (Deflect 10) [Alt], Juggle Throw (Blast 8) [Alt], [Super-Strength 2 [Alt], Enhanced Ability 8 [Alt], Enhanced Ability 6 [Alt], Enhanced Trait 14 [Alt]]
A6 Automated Point Defense (Deflect 6) [Alt] (Deflects: Fast Projectiles (1/r), Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle), Extras: Automatic, Action 3 (reaction))
Juggle Catch (Deflect 10) [Alt] (Deflects: Slow Projectiles (1/r), Power Feats: Precise, Subtle 1 (subtle), Extras: Reflection, Action 1 (move))
Juggle Throw (Blast 8) [Alt] (DC 23, Power Feats: Accurate 4 (+8), Precise, Ricochet 1 (1 bounce), Split Attack 1 (2 targets), Subtle 1 (subtle), Extras: Autofire 1 (interval 2, max +5))
Super-Strength 2 [Alt] (+10 STR carrying capacity; +2 STR to some checks)
Enhanced Ability 8 [Alt] (+8 STR; Ability: Strength)
Enhanced Ability 6 [Alt] (+6 DEX; Ability: Dexterity)
Enhanced Trait 14 [Alt] (Feats: All-Out Attack, Attack Focus (Melee) 6, Improved Block 2, Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Pin, Weapon Bind, Power Attack)

Notes: * The Slow Deflect and Blast are actually extensions of Eddie's natural abilities; respectively, his juggling/catching skills and his accurate throwing skills. If the A6 is somehow nullified, his remaining ability would be:
[POWER] Deflect Slow Projectiles 4 (Extras: Move Action PF: Precise) (costs 9 pp)
[a] Strike 4 (PF: Throwing, Ricochet, Split Attack, Accurate) (costs 8 pp))

Gravity Pull Array (Array 3) (Default Power: Move Object, Alternate Powers: Implosion (Move Object 10) [Alt], [Move Object 8 [Alt], Move Object 1 [Alt]])
Implosion (Move Object 10) [Alt] (Strength: 50, Carry: 4.3 tons / 8.5 tons / 12.8 tons / 25.6 tons; Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle), Extras: Area, Explosion (100 ft. explosion - General), Flaws: Range 1 (touch), Custom 2 (Limited One Direction))
Move Object 8 [Alt] (Strength: 40, Carry: 2.1k / 4.3k / 3.2 tons / 6.4 tons; Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle), Flaws: Custom 1 (Inverse Square Law), Side-Effect 1 (sometimes - Trip), Limited 1 (One Direction (towards self))
Move Object 1 [Alt] (Strength: 5, Carry: 16 / 33 / 50 / 100; Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle), Extras: Action 1 (move), Range 1 (perception), Flaws: Side-Effect 1 (sometimes - Trip), Limited 2 (One Direction (towards self)))

Container, Passive 3 (Powers: Immunity 3, Regeneration 6, Enhanced Trait 6)
Immunity 3 (Uncommon Descriptor: Gravitic, Condition: Vacuum)
Regeneration 6 (DC 16, Recovery Rate (Injured) 2 (recover 1 / 5 mins), Recovery Rate (Staggered) 2 (recover 1 / 5 mins), Recovery Rate (Disabled) 2 (recover 1 / hour))
Enhanced Trait 6 (Feats: Improved Disarm 1, Improved Trip, Diehard, Environmental Adaptation - Microgravity 1, Interpose, Redirect)
Enhanced Ability 6 (+6 CON; Ability: Constitution)

Equipment: Undercover Vest; Titanium Juggling Balls

Attack Bonus: +4 (Ranged: +4, Melee: +4, Grapple: +11/+13)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +4 (DC 22), Juggle Throw (Blast 8) [Alt], +12 (DC 23)

Defense: +8 (Flat-footed: +4), Knockback: -5

Initiative: +6

Drawbacks: Vulnerable - Very Common - Minor - Gravity field draws in physical attacks, making them -2 to dodge, Vulnerable - Uncommon - Minor - Gasses aew easily drawn into the gravity field

Totals: Abilities 28 + Skills 12 (48 ranks) + Feats 9 + Powers 73 + Combat 24 + Saves 8 - Drawbacks 4 = 150

:arrow: Eddie is actually the first character I tried to stat in MnM, and probably the most complicated build I have. Like Crystal, his original concept came from playing with layering up minor powers in Heroes Unlimited, and one description of his power could be "Touch Range Explosive Area Clinging". A lot of the additional bonuses that HU assigned to clinging were mainly thief-style skill bonus, so I originally made him a cat-burglar. After I developed some of his traits, though, I wanted to make him a juggler, and I could never seem to balance him out the way I wanted and have room for some of his cat-burglar skills, so I shelved them. They will likely be back, though.

:arrow: I originally built and posted a version of him on endless flight's Freedom City PbP site, receiving a lot of help from the locals, but I never got to the point of playing him.

:arrow: This is a seriously byzantine build, with several custom modifiers. I'll go into detail later when I'm less tired, but I encourage people to look it over and poke all the holes in it.

:arrow: If they make a sequel to Push called Pull, it would be about Eddie. In MnM and most game systems I've seen, TK has no action/reaction. This is a good idea for several reasons, the main one being that it is a huge P.I.T.A.! Eddie's powers fly in the face of this logic (or more accurately, they connect to a point in the forehead of this logic, pull him toward it, stick him to the face and let him bounce titanium juggling balls around in the nostrils of this logic). In the same way that I kept Crystal from being a standard light blaster by making her unable to generate light, I keep Eddie from becoming just another telekinetic by only allowing him to pull things toward himself, or, thanks to the action/reaction flaws I've made up, pull himself toward things. This makes him a lot less like Jean Grey and a lot more like Spiderman sans webbing, which I didn't even realize until after I'd built up most of his powers.

:arrow: The source of most of Eddie's powers is the A6. This is the codename for an artificial singularity matrix captured and contained from the wreck of an alien spacecraft. The A6 is actually a small piece of what we would think of as the ship's computer, but uses gravitic technology weaving threads of spacetime into "circuitry" instead of matter and energy, making it largely incorporeal. The particular piece in Eddie was specifically tasked for point defense, but due to the holographic nature of its programming, it could eventually extrapolate all ship's functions. The A6 is not intelligent or even sentient in the strictest sense, but it is highly adaptive, and, after being separated from its ship and stuck in Earth's gravity well for several months, it could be considered a little nuts. Jumping into Eddie's body and adapting to his systems happened relatively quickly; the longer process will be Eddie adapting to it.

:arrow: Speaking of codenames, I have a lot of trouble coming up with hero names that I like. I could never come up with a name I liked for Crystal more than just Crystal, but if she develops a full "costumed persona", she's gonna need another name. By contrast, Eddie had originally been called "The Stickler" and was a British hypochondriac cat-burglar before I decided to make him an Italian-descent street performer. I still like Stickler, but Eddie would hate it (I bring too much acting class to my role playing characters :P ). I'd once thought that since he was a combination of Spiderman and Catwoman, I could call him SpiderCat, which I could see him liking, but I dont. Most of the better heroes end up getting named by the media, anyway, as an extension of that cardinal rule: "You don't get to pick your nickname."

Libra
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Libra » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:21 am

Thanks Eleos, Libra

It's nice to know I'm not just shouting into the wind with these posts.

Have no fear on that account. :D
Founder of H.E.R.O.I.C, Complimenter-in-Chief, Co-Arch Henchman to the Grin, Servant of the Hoff!

Rule Brittania! Praise the Hoff and the Grin!

Warning!: May cause Thread Drift.

MorningKnight
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby MorningKnight » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:41 am

Eddie and Crystal are amazing. Good background info on their inspirations as well.

And I fully understand the alternate universe Crystals (ie: millions of iterations of your favorite character, re: Powerboy, Luminator, Power Glove, Morningstar, Morning Knight... *sigh*)

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanks, MK! I've been pretty impressed with what you've been doing as well. When I started up my thread I was actually specifically looking at your Power-Glove thread as a template for how I wanted to lay out my characters, since you seem to use a combo of Champs/HU/MnM influences as well. And I'm now seriously considering doing up a Nightmare Angel style Crystal, once I see the flavour of the full team.

I'm also a little awed that you're a published pulp author. I'm sure you'll tell me it's no big deal, but until I get a play produced, I'm just going to subtly resist any fanboyish behaviour.

Next up: Samuel James "Chase" Walker - another original you will grow to love!

MorningKnight
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby MorningKnight » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks, Rook.

:D

The Nightmare Angels flavor is... heroes who you wouldn't think of as heroes - a mutilated dominatrix/ex-prostitute, a were-creature, a non-babe She-Hulk - like Lovehammer, over in the Doug's Doodles (I need to do her writeup).

She's an ogress, but she's also a good person. A good person who happens to have the strength to lift an oven with one hand and the skill to kill a mouse with a mallet in the other (with love for the writers of Two and A Half Men as they describe Berta in one episode).

So, just think of an obvious villain background and look for Crystal. Then come up with either a redemptive path or an anchor to goodness and decency which would keep a monster from doing monsterly things.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:21 pm

I've got some spare time at work, so I'm going to go into detail about Eddie's powers, of which I am inordinately proud. His original post is getting long and ungainly so I'm putting it in this one, which will likely become even moreso.

JDRook wrote:Eddie Stecchino

<snip>
Powers:
Movement Array (Array 3) (Default Power: - Linked Powers -, Alternate Powers: Wall-Crawling (Super-Movement 2) [Alt] [Dyn: 2/r+1, max 6PP], Gravity Swinging (Linked) [Alt] [Dyn: 1/2r, max 6PP], Immovable 10 [Alt])
Wall-Crawling (Super-Movement 2) [Alt] [Dyn: 2/r+1, max 6PP] (Wall-Crawling 2 (full speed), Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle))
Gravity Swinging (Linked) [Alt] [Dyn: 1/2r, max 6PP] (Powers: Super-Movement 1 [Link], Speed 4 [Link])
Super-Movement 1 [Link] (Swinging, Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle))
Speed 4 [Link] (Speed: 100 mph, 880 ft./rnd; Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle), Flaws: Limited 1 (Swinging only))
Immovable 10 [Alt] (Resist Movement: +40, Resist Knockback: -10; Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle), Flaws: Custom 1 (Encumbering)

Notes: *Encumbering means Eddie is weighted down by the equivalent of a heavy load for rank * 5 Str for each rank of Immovable, with all penalties in effect (equivalent to a self-inflicted Gravity Control: Increase Gravity). With natural Str, Eddie can lift up to rank 1 as a light load, 2 as medium load, 3 as a heavy load and 4 as maximum. With Super Strength add +4 to each rank limit above.)

The Movement array is just about perfect for what I want Eddie to be able to do movement-wise: the full Wall-Crawling so that he can basically treat any wall, ceiling or strong flat surface as a floor; Subtle Swinging at maximum Glide speed so he can seem to fly through a city but can't do it in flat terrain; and Immovable so he can anchor himself so well even he can't move (thanks to the Custom Encumbering Flaw, although I think the above numbers are off now).
The only major improvement I could think to put in would be what I would call a "pursuit" movement power. Basically Eddie could latch on to a mobile target and get pulled along by it. Interestingly, this would be easier to do to a flying target. On the ground, this would necessitate some kind of wheels or other low-friction system. This way he could move at his full speed (or possibly faster) as long as he was following someone else. This seems pretty specialized though; I might make an AP for it when he gets some experience.

Juggling Array (Array 16) (Default Power: Deflect, Alternate Powers: A6 Automated Point Defense (Deflect 6) [Alt], Juggle Catch (Deflect 10) [Alt], Juggle Throw (Blast 8) [Alt], [Super-Strength 2 [Alt], Enhanced Ability 8 [Alt], Enhanced Ability 6 [Alt], Enhanced Trait 14 [Alt]]
A6 Automated Point Defense (Deflect 6) [Alt] (Deflects: Fast Projectiles (1/r), Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle), Extras: Automatic, Action 3 (reaction))
Juggle Catch (Deflect 10) [Alt] (Deflects: Slow Projectiles (1/r), Power Feats: Precise, Subtle 1 (subtle), Extras: Reflection, Action 1 (move))
Juggle Throw (Blast 8) [Alt] (DC 23, Power Feats: Accurate 4 (+8), Precise, Ricochet 1 (1 bounce), Split Attack 1 (2 targets), Subtle 1 (subtle), Extras: Autofire 1 (interval 2, max +5))
Super-Strength 2 [Alt] (+10 STR carrying capacity; +2 STR to some checks)
Enhanced Ability 8 [Alt] (+8 STR; Ability: Strength)
Enhanced Ability 6 [Alt] (+6 DEX; Ability: Dexterity)
Enhanced Trait 14 [Alt] (Feats: All-Out Attack, Attack Focus (Melee) 6, Improved Block 2, Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Pin, Weapon Bind, Power Attack)

Notes: * The Slow Deflect and Blast are actually extensions of Eddie's natural abilities; respectively, his juggling/catching skills and his accurate throwing skills. If the A6 is somehow nullified, his remaining ability would be:
[POWER] Deflect Slow Projectiles 4 (Extras: Move Action PF: Precise) (costs 9 pp)
[a] Strike 4 (PF: Throwing, Ricochet, Split Attack, Accurate) (costs 8 pp))

This array would be considered the meat-and-potatoes of Eddie's powers. The point defense is the base function of the A6 and everything else is mainly Eddie's overriding and influencing its abilities.
The Slow Deflect plus Precise is his catching ability writ large. Reflection means he can throw stuff back, and Move action means he can do it pretty quickly and accurately. I know most GMs don't like move action on powers that can potentially attack, so this would likely be the first thing to adjust. I think I've maxed the rank, though, so I'd probably just take it out and put in Redirection.
The Blast is highly accurate throwing. His object of choice is titanium juggling balls, because they bounce so well, but he can basically use any small object. Since he can do that, as well as easily bounce back any throw, running out of ammo is a complication.
The last AP is the most tricky. How it works is based on the operation of a muscle; muscles are essentially all pull, so the gravity power can act as large scale muscles connecting any part on Eddie's body, which allows for the increases in Str and Dex. He can also pull targets toward him (and himself to targets) or use focused grav points to grab and grapple opponents, which covers most of his feats.
I was never sure how to cover for the two "powers" that survive nullification mechanically. Basically they allow Eddie to still operate at roughly PL5 with a lot fewer tricks. It's kind of a partial Innate, and I'm just handwaving it in this instance. Don't know how often Eddie should lose the A6, but I'd definitely want it to come up sometime.

Gravity Pull Array (Array 3) (Default Power: Move Object, Alternate Powers: Implosion (Move Object 10) [Alt], [Move Object 8 [Alt], Move Object 1 [Alt]])
Implosion (Move Object 10) [Alt] (Strength: 50, Carry: 4.3 tons / 8.5 tons / 12.8 tons / 25.6 tons; Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle), Extras: Area, Explosion (100 ft. explosion - General), Flaws: Range 1 (touch), Custom 2 (Limited One Direction))
Move Object 8 [Alt] (Strength: 40, Carry: 2.1k / 4.3k / 3.2 tons / 6.4 tons; Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle), Flaws: Custom 1 (Inverse Square Law), Side-Effect 1 (sometimes - Trip), Limited 1 (One Direction (towards self))
Move Object 1 [Alt] (Strength: 5, Carry: 16 / 33 / 50 / 100; Power Feats: Subtle 1 (subtle), Extras: Action 1 (move), Range 1 (perception), Flaws: Side-Effect 1 (sometimes - Trip), Limited 2 (One Direction (towards self)))

And the pull. So basic, yet so complex. The two custom flaws get tricky here. The easy one is the Side-Effect - Trip, that simulates the action/reaction of the TK. It kicks in anytime Eddie tries to pull something too heavy, strong enough to resist, or immobile, Tripping him toward it. Of course he can use that Encumbering Immobility to anchor himself, if he prepares it.
The other Flaw is Inverse Square Law, which I set up to simulate the loss of strength over range: first range increment is full power, the 2nd is half, 3rd is a quarter, etc, all rounded up, so it quickly becomes 1 rank no matter how many you start with. Slightly more realisitcally, it should probably be a quarter on the 2nd, a ninth on the 3rd, etc. In terms of playability, it may be too nitpicky to deal with, and just making it full strength in the first increment and using the Perception Range Rank 1 pull for the rest would be sufficient, with maybe an extra rank or two at the second increment if the GM feels generous. The Perc Pull is the "long tail" on that equation, and allow Eddie to influence small things at a great distance effortlessly, which among other things is a great way for him to "reload" his Blast.
And the Implosion: why is it not just a stunt? Conceptually, it's a nonselective radial pull toward Eddie, that could potentially crush him. It's also the base effect of the A6, along with the Immobility and Point Defense. As I said before, all of Eddie's powers are just variations on the A6, with those three powers as "seeds" for each of those arrays. It may not be strictly useful, but it is part of him, and I am loathe to give it up just to save points.

Container, Passive 3 (Powers: Immunity 3, Regeneration 6, Enhanced Trait 6)
Immunity 3 (Uncommon Descriptor: Gravitic, Condition: Vacuum)
Regeneration 6 (DC 16, Recovery Rate (Injured) 2 (recover 1 / 5 mins), Recovery Rate (Staggered) 2 (recover 1 / 5 mins), Recovery Rate (Disabled) 2 (recover 1 / hour))
Enhanced Trait 6 (Feats: Improved Disarm 1, Improved Trip, Diehard, Environmental Adaptation - Microgravity 1, Interpose, Redirect)
Enhanced Ability 6 (+6 CON; Ability: Constitution)

Gravitic Immunity seems a given - the A6 would equalize any weird effects on him, so he could ignore gravity variants and vertigo. Vacuum is something I like, and it points out the necessity of full life support; the A6 would allow Eddie to hold his breath in a vacuum without exploding, but he would still need oxygen to breath. With powers like these, I'd like him to eventually get some time in space. Not right away and not necessarily often, but eventually.
The Regen would be the A6 tapping into a ship's maintenance subroutine on Eddie, using gravity to realign bones, close wounds, improve blood flow, etc, which is why most of his recovery is injury-based. He'll still take bruises like a regular guy, although the Enhanced Constitution fills some of those gaps.
The Enhanced Feats are a mixed bag of other effects I thought should either be available all the time or just didn't fit in the arrays. I almost thought about giving Interpose the Uncontrollable flaw, causing attacks intended for others to just come toward him at GM whim. :)
Equipment: Undercover Vest; Titanium Juggling Balls

Attack Bonus: +4 (Ranged: +4, Melee: +4, Grapple: +11/+13)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +4 (DC 22), Juggle Throw (Blast 8) [Alt], +12 (DC 23)

Drawbacks: Vulnerable - Very Common - Minor - Gravity field draws in physical attacks, making them -2 to dodge, Vulnerable - Uncommon - Minor - Gasses are easily drawn into the gravity field

The Drawbacks are the constant pull Eddie has due to the A6. He pulls in dust particles all the time (which was great when I made him a neat-freak) and draws physical attacks to himself, melee and ranged. At one point I even had an Enhanced Feat: Attractive due to his field. :)

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

The Rookery: JDRook's Originals: Crystal, Eddie, and Chase

Postby JDRook » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:09 am

Samuel James "Chase" Walker

Power Level: 9; Power Points Spent: 144

STR: +3 (16), DEX: +9 (14/28), CON: +3 (16), INT: +1 (12), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +2 (14)

Tough: +8, Fort: +6, Ref: +11, Will: +6

Skills: Bluff 6 (+8), Diplomacy 6 (+8), Gather Information 8 (+10), Investigate 8 (+9), Notice 8 (+11), Search 8 (+9), Sense Motive 8 (+11), Stealth 4 (+13), Knowledge: Civics 6 (+7), Knowledge: Streetwise 6 (+7)

Feats: Equipment 5, Interpose, Attack Focus (Ranged) 1, Contacts, Second Chance - Mind Control 1, Sneak Attack 1, Stunning Attack, Well-Informed

Powers:
Mimic 12 (Mimic: All Traits (5/r), Flaws: Limited 1 (Vehicles Only, Must be in Driver's Seat), Action 1 (full))
Motorcycle (Power Setting) (Traits: Defense Bonus +3 (+10), Powers: Speed 5, Protection 5)
Speed 5 (Speed: 250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd)
Protection 5 (+5 Toughness; Feats: Interpose)
Super-Senses 8 (Tremorsense, Postcognition, Radio, Flaws: Limited 1 (Only while Driving))
Enhanced Ability 14 (+14 DEX; Ability: Dexterity, Flaws: Limited 1 (Only while driving))
Regeneration 4 (DC 14, Recovery Rate (Injured) 4 (recover 1 / round), Flaws: Limited 1 (Only while Driving))
Enhanced Trait 2 (Traits: Acrobatics +8 (+17), Flaws: Limited 1 (Only while Driving))

Power Settings:
Motorcycle (Power Setting) (Traits: Defense Bonus +3 (+10), Powers: Speed 5, Protection 5)
Sports/Compact Cars (Power Setting) (Traits: Defense Bonus +1 (+11), Strength +1 (17, +3), Powers: Growth 4, Speed 5, Protection 3, Super-Strength 1)
Most Cars & Trucks (Power Setting) (Traits: Strength +3 (19, +4), Defense Bonus +3 (+13), Powers: Growth 8, Speed 5, Protection 2, Super-Strength 1)
Bus/Semi (Power Setting) (Traits: Defense Bonus +3 (+13), Powers: Growth 12, Super-Strength 1, Speed 4, Protection 2)

Equipment: Cell Phone; Flashlight; Handcuffs; Mini-Tracer; Vehicle: Motorcycle; Undercover Shirt; Hold-out Pistol; Lock Release Gun

Attack Bonus: +8 (Ranged: +9, Melee: +8, Grapple: +11)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +8 (DC 18), Hold-out Pistol, +9 (DC 17)

Defense: +7/+10 (Flat-footed: +5), Knockback: -4

Initiative: +9

Totals: Abilities 28 + Skills 17 (68 ranks) + Feats 11 + Powers 50 + Combat 30 + Saves 8 + Drawbacks 0 = 144

:arrow: Still fiddling with this one, but I thought I'd post it for feedback. Most of his displayed bonuses are from his Motorcycle setting, which is the only vehicle he owns.

:arrow: Chase is the first character I made specifically with Freedom City in mind. I was thinking about legacy characters and opened up the FC sourcebook, when what catches my eye but Max the Phantom Cab driver. One paragraph, no stats, which gives me a starting point and few limits.
:arrow: As always, a few different influences. I'd had the idea for him before I saw Speed Racer, but that did inspire a lot of what I want him to do. There's a certain amount of Herbie the Love Bug in there, too, but strangely no Transformers. These aren't robots in disguise, this is a (supernaturally?) gifted driver able to make ordinary vehicles do extraordinary things.
:arrow: The biggest and most unusual influence, however, is "Jack" the cab driver from the Elite Beat Agents DS game, who seems to have a Jekyl/Hyde thing going on with his driving. He also seems to manage to give his cab Water Run and Wall Run while driving a pregnant woman to the hospital. I actually just got a copy of EBA after losing my first one a few months back, so expect more characters from there.
:arrow: I went with Mimic on the powers to get everything I wanted out of them, limited to vehicles, but with none of the limitations of vehicles on them (Speed Rank being max speed, Str effectively just lifting Strength, etc). The leftover points seemed good for Features and variations in vehicles. Looking it over again, though, I'm thinking I could use Alternate forms, especially since I managed to group most ground vehicles into 4 slots. Then I could add the Speed Feats and maybe some balance traits (eg more Dex for smaller vehicles) without breaking the Mimic concept.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:08 pm

Sam "Chase" Walker

"No, really - let ME drive!"

STR: +3 (16), DEX: +10 (14/30), CON: +2 (14), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +3 (16)

Tough: +8, Fort: +6, Ref: +13, Will: +6

Skills: Bluff 4 (+7), Diplomacy 4 (+7), Gather Information 8 (+11), Investigate 4 (+6), Notice 8 (+11), Search 6 (+8), Sense Motive 8 (+11), Stealth 6 (+16), Knowledge: Civics 4 (+6), Knowledge: Streetwise 4 (+6), Prof: Detective 4 (+7)

Feats: Equipment 4, Contacts, Stunning Attack, Well-Informed, Evasion 2, Fast Overrun, Improved Overrun, Interpose

Powers:
Behind the Wheel (Container, Active 14) (Powers: Super-Senses 8, Enhanced Trait 7, Alternate Form 11, Flaws: Limited 1 (Must be in driver's seat of vehicle))
Super-Senses 8 (Postcognition, Radio, Tremorsense)
Enhanced Trait 7 (Traits: Acrobatics +4 (+22), Attack Bonus +1 (+17), Feats: Evasion 2, Fast Overrun, Improved Overrun)
Alternate Form 11 (Drawbacks: Action (Power Switch) 3)
Motorcycle (Alternate Form) (Traits: Defense Bonus +2 (+10), Dexterity +16 (30, +10), Acrobatics +8 (+22), Attack Bonus +8 (+17), Powers: Protection 6, Flight 5)
Protection 6 (+6 Toughness; Feats: Interpose)
Flight 5 (Speed: 250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd; Power Feats: Moving Feint, Drawbacks: Minimum Speed, Custom 1 (Must be touching a surface))

Power Settings:
Motorcycle (Alternate Form) (Traits: Defense Bonus +2 (+10), Dexterity +16 (30, +10), Acrobatics +8 (+22), Attack Bonus +8 (+17), Powers: Protection 6, Flight 5)
Compact & Sports Cars (Alternate Form) (Traits: Defense Bonus +2 (+12), Dexterity +8 (38, +14), Strength +2 (18, +4), Acrobatics +4 (+26), Attack Bonus +4 (+21), Powers: Growth 4, Super-Strength 1, Protection 4, Flight 5)
Most Cars & Trucks (Alternate Form) (Traits: Dexterity +6 (36, +13), Defense Bonus +2 (+12), Strength +4 (20, +5), Powers: Growth 8, Speed 5, Protection 3, Super-Strength 1)
Semi or Bus (Alternate Form) (Traits: Defense Bonus +2 (+12), Powers: Growth 12, Speed 4, Protection 3, Super-Strength 1)

Equipment: Cell Phone; Handcuffs; Mini-Tracer; Vehicle: Motorcycle; Lock Release Gun; Undercover Vest; Camera; Computer, Laptop; GPS Receiver

Attack Bonus: +8/+17 (Ranged: +8/+17, Melee: +8/+17, Grapple: +11/+20)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +17 (DC 18)

Defense: +8/+10 (Flat-footed: +5), Knockback: -4

Initiative: +10

Totals: Abilities 30 + Skills 15 (60 ranks) + Feats 7 + Powers 56 + Combat 32 + Saves 10 + Drawbacks 0 = 150

:arrow: Yeah, it costs a little more, and seems a little less elegant, but the Alternate Forms option for Chase has its charms. Chief among these is the improved powers for each vehicle format, particularly the motorcycle, which is shown here as the default slot, since the motorcycle is the only vehicle Chase owns.

:arrow: I started out just making each setting as close to their vehicle descriptions as possible. This naturally led to a huge point disparity between the top end (Semi/Bus) and the bottom (Motorcycle), so I improved the smaller vehicles in a few ways. The biggest balancing point was pumping up Dex and a little Acrobatics for anything smaller than a bus. The Motorcycle slot is now preternaturally nimble, able to do practically impossible tricks, with the compact/sports car not far behind. The cars, trucks and vans get a little boost as well.

:arrow: Another variant was a trick I adapted from Champions' speedsters - contact surface limited Flight. I had always planned to give Wall- and Water-Run to each slot anyway, and had been thinking of some kind of Environmental Adaptation to cover rough terrain, so I thought why not go all the way and just do Flight with a few drawbacks? I used the Minimum speed DB as well as the Contact Surface custom DB, since I didn't see him able to park on walls or ceilings. Then again, since the slots aren't even full, I wouldn't mind paying for full Flight and just taking complications. This, combined with Moving Feint, makes Chase an effective low-grade speedster in these forms.

:arrow: Passengers was a big consideration, and I'm still not sure if I like how I've set it up here. For everything except the motorcycle, I've given Protection a Shapeable Area, with Progressions when necessary and the tacit understanding that that's the passenger area. The motorcycle would of course not have that, although I did include Interpose as part of the slot, representing how Chase could attempt to block any incoming attacks to a piggybacking passenger. Note: If you use the Attacking Carried Objects rule for Chase's passengers, they automatically get Defense equal to Chase ("Objects carried or worn by a character have a base Defense equal the character’s Defense + the object’s size modifier").

:arrow: The Super-Senses tie in well with Chase's profession as a detective, as well as give his powers a more supernatural feel, which I believe fits with the Phantom Cab legacy. There are inherent limitations to each beyond the "Behind the Wheel" requirement of the whole container, but I'm not sure they should be more than complications. Radio of course requires a radio in the vehicle, not necessarily operational. Tremorsense means he can feel the vehicle itself and everything around it on the ground. I had thought to make this dependent on whether or not the engine was running, but I'm ambivalent.

:arrow: Postcognition was special. It is essentially a form of psychometry with the vehicle as the focus. I wanted all information from Precog to be non-visual - the feel of high sun, heavy rain, and uneven roads at high speed; scents of perfume or cheap cigars caught in the fabric of the seats, snippets of conversation bouncing off the windshields. Stuff that could make for excellent clues but not give everything away. Feels kinda noir to me.

:arrow: Most of the Enhanced Feats I took directly from suggestions by Cometeer and Tsunami in this thread: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=31500

:arrow: All Powers orginally came to 60 points, which was perfect since I used the Tracer PL6 template from Instant Superheroes as the base for Chase's skills and such. I've made a lot of adjustments from there, including giving him a higher base Defense in order to lower the cost of all the forms slightly.

:arrow: One last edit to get his OPL up to 10 in all forms. This shows up as huge Attack bonuses for Compact and Motorcycle, making those forms more martial artist/speedstery, versus the more Powerhousy Semi. The Cycle has the most extreme trade-off of +7Att/-7DC, which may be unbalancing for some campaigns. I would limit that +17 attack to only attacks with the cycle itself (Overrun, Slam, Charge, etc), or vehicle mounted weapons when available. Having Chase pick up a gun that suddenly shoots that accurately when he's on his bike doesn't fit.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Re: The Rookery: JDRook's Originals: Crystal, Eddie, and Chase

Postby JDRook » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:25 pm

Eddie Stecchino - Supervillain

Power Level: 9; Power Points Spent: 164

STR: +5 (15/20),
DEX: +6 (16/22),
CON: +5 (14/20),
INT: +1 (12),
WIS: +2 (14),
CHA: +3 (16)

Total Abilities: 27

Tough: +5/+10,
Fort: +9,
Ref: +8,
Will: +8

Total Saves: 12

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14),
Bluff 4 (+7),
Computers 2 (+3),
Concentration 4 (+6),
Diplomacy 4 (+7),
Disable Device 8 (+9),
Drive 2 (+8),
Escape Artist 8 (+14),
Gather Information 2 (+5),
Intimidate 2 (+5),
Medicine 2 (+4),
Notice 4 (+6),
Search 8 (+9),
Sense Motive 4 (+6),
Sleight of Hand 8 (+14),
Stealth 8 (+14),
Craft (electronic) 2 (+3),
Knowledge (streetwise) 8 (+9),
Profession (Cat Burglar) 4 (+6)

Total Skills: 23 (92 ranks)

Feats:
Equipment 1,
Acrobatic Bluff,
Defensive Roll 2,
Distract (Bluff),
Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Notice, Cat Burglar, Search, Stealth, Sleight of Hand),
Precise Shot 2,
Ambidexterity

Total Feats: 10

Enhanced Feats (see below)
Improved Disarm,
Improved Trip,
Diehard,
Environmental Adaptation (Microgravity),
Interpose,
Redirect,

Melee Slot Feats (see below)
All-Out Attack,
Attack Focus (Melee) 6,
Improved Block 2,
Improved Grab,
Improved Grapple,
Improved Pin,
Weapon Bind,
Power Attack,

Powers:
Movement Array (Array 3) (default power: flight; Subtle (subtle))
- Wall-Crawling (Super-Movement 3) [Dyn: 2/r, max 7PP] (Alternate; wall-crawling 3 (full speed, sticky))
- Immovable 14 (Alternate; Resist Movement: +56, Resist Knockback: -14; Custom (Encumbering), Notes: *Encumbering means Eddie is weighted down by the equivalent of a heavy load for rank * 5 Str for each rank of Immovable, with all penalties in effect (equivalent to a self-inflicted Gravity Control: Increase Gravity). With natural Str, Eddie can lift up to rank 1 as a light load, 2 as medium load, 3 as a heavy load and 4 as maximum. With Super Strength add +4 to each rank limit above.)
- Gravity Swinging (Flight 4) (Alternate; Speed: 100 mph, 880 ft./rnd; Custom (Limited as per Swinging))

Movement Array Total: 10

Juggling Array (Array 15) (default power: deflect; Subtle (subtle), Notes: * The Slow Deflect and Blast are actually extensions of Eddie's natural abilities; respectively, his juggling/catching skills and his accurate throwing skills. If the A6 is somehow nullified, his remaining ability would be:
[POWER] Deflect Slow Projectiles 5 (Extras: Move Action PF: Precise) (costs 11 pp)
[a] Strike 5 (PF: Throwing, Ricochet, Split Attack, Accurate) (costs 10 pp))
- A6 Automated Point Defense (Deflect 6) (Alternate; deflects: fast projectiles; Automatic, Action 3 (reaction))
- Juggle Catch (Deflect 10) (Alternate; deflects: slow projectiles; Reflection, Action (move); Precise)
- Juggle Throw (Blast 7) (Alternate; DC 22; Autofire (interval 2, max +5); Accurate 4 (+8), Ricochet 3 (3 bounces), Split Attack 3 (4 targets))
- Melee Slot (Multiple Powers)
- -Super-Strength 3 (Alternate; +15 STR carry capacity, heavy load: 3.2k lbs; +3 STR to some checks)
- -Enhanced Strength 5 (Alternate; +5 STR)
- -Enhanced Dexterity 6 (Alternate; +6 DEX)
- -Enhanced Trait 14 (Alternate; Feats: All-Out Attack, Attack Focus (Melee) 6, Improved Block 2, Improved Grab, Improved Grapple, Improved Pin, Weapon Bind, Power Attack)

Juggling Array Total: 34

Gravity Pull Array (Array 2) (default power: move object; Subtle (subtle))
- Implosion (Move Object 10) (Alternate; Strength: 50, Carry: 4.3 tons / 8.5 tons / 12.8 tons / 25.6 tons; Explosion Area (100 ft. explosion - General); Range (touch), Custom 2 (Limited One Direction))
- Focused Pull (Multiple MO Powers)
- - Move Object 9 (Alternate; Strength: 45, Carry: 4.3k / 4.3 tons / 6.4 tons / 12.8 tons; Custom (Inverse Square Law), Side-Effect (sometimes - Trip), Limited (One Direction (towards sel))
- - Move Object 2 (Alternate; Strength: 10, Carry: 33 / 66 / 100 / 200; Action (move), Range (perception); Side-Effect (sometimes - Trip), Limited 2 (One Direction (towards self)))
- Leave No Trace (Concealment 4) (Alternate; all gustatory senses, all olfactory senses; Distracting; Close Range)

Gravity Pull Array Total: 7

Miscellaneous Gravity Traits (Container, Passive 5) (Custom (Unused Point))
Enhanced Constitution 6 (+6 CON)
Immunity 3 (uncommon descriptor: Gravitic, condition: Vacuum)
Regeneration 9 (recovery rate (injured) 3 (recover 1 / minute), recovery rate (staggered) 3 (recover 1 / minute), recovery rate (disabled) 3 (recover 1 / 20 mins), DC 19)
Enhanced Trait 6 (Feats: Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Diehard, Environmental Adaptation (Microgravity), Interpose, Redirect)

Misc Grav Traits Total: 24

Total Powers: 75

Equipment: Undercover Vest, Titanium Juggling Balls

Attack Bonus: +3 (Ranged: +3, Melee: +3/+9, Grapple: +14/+17)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +3/+9 (DC 20), Juggle Throw (Blast 7), +11 (DC 22)

Drawbacks: Vulnerable, uncommon, moderate, Gasses are easily drawn into the gravity field
Disability, very common, minor, Gravity field draws in physical attacks, making them -2 to dodge

Languages: English

Totals: Abilities 27 + Skills 23 (92 ranks) + Feats 10 + Powers 75 + Combat 22 + Saves 12 - Drawbacks 5 = 164

"You wanna know about the Stickler? Yeah, I can tell you about him. The first thing you'll want to know is he hates being called the Stickler. He's had a bunch of names, and I don't know what the real one is, but most often he just goes by Eddie.

So why the Stickler if he hates it so much? On the job, Eddie's pretty detail-oriented, and a bit of a neat-freak, which is one of the reasons he's so good. In and out, leaves no evidence, no muss no fuss. That nickname stuck, but he ain't happy about it. Says it makes him sound like he's got a stick up his . . . "

Eddie grew up in Lincoln, and was your average Lincoln kid, getting into trouble occasionally and running with the gangs. One of the things that made him stick out, though, was his fascination with the street crowds, and the buskers who pulled them together. Jugglers, magicians, acrobats and confidence men of all types. He went with friends who would carefully pickpocket the crowds, but he also enjoyed the performances themselves, and picked up a few tricks himself. Eventually he got to the point where he could draw his own audience, making money off donations while his friends fleeced the crowds.

Through these little performances, Eddie discovered a real natural talent for acrobatics and precision juggling, and eventually he got spotted by some more established criminals who knew other uses for his abilities. With a little training and the right equipment he became one of the best second-story men around, able to get around most security systems with ease. He was contracted out for jewel heists, art thefts and eventually industrial espionage, which is when he had the accident.

While trying to steal a magnetically sealed case that was bound for ASTRO labs, the heist turned sour, the case broke open, and Eddie suddenly became the "host" of the A6,* which caused objects to fly at him from all directions and bounce him between the walls and ceilings almost at random. Fortunately Eddie's acrobatics training kicked in, allowing him to adapt to the chaotic movement, not to mention the guards taking shots at him. Eddie barely managed to get away, and now had to get these new abilities figured out.

Eddie experimented with the powers and realized they could make him an even better cat-burglar. He could climb walls and ceilings without any gear, he could "swing" around the city quicker and quieter than most vehicles, and he had a whole new bag of tricks if things ever got dicey.

Eddie still does contract work occasionally, but lately steals for himself, for profit or more often for thrill. He once stole a liver transplant for his ailing mother, but most of the time he's looking out for Number One.

Eddie has had several run-ins with Sonic, including during the medical supply heist. They each suspect they know the other from when they were kids, but they can't be sure, and neither wants to compromise their identity.

* Very few people have even a clue what the A6 is, including Eddie. The codename A6 is short for "asynchronous singularity matrix", a near-intangible artifact salvaged from an alien craft. This particular alien species had achieved T7-level technology, using gravity as commonly as we use electricity. The A6 is actually a small piece of what we would think of as the ship's computer, but uses gravitic technology weaving threads of spacetime into "circuitry" instead of matter and energy, making it largely incorporeal. The particular piece in Eddie was specifically tasked for point defense, but due to the holographic nature of its programming, it could eventually extrapolate all ship's functions. The A6 is not intelligent or even sentient in the strictest sense, but it is highly adaptive, and, after being separated from its ship and stuck in Earth's gravity well for several months, it could be considered a little nuts. Jumping into Eddie's body and adapting to his systems happened relatively quickly; the longer process will be Eddie adapting to it.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “Roll Call”