DC or Marvel campaign, whose builds to use?

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Captain Liberty
Partisan
Partisan

DC or Marvel campaign, whose builds to use?

Post by Captain Liberty » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:38 am

I have been a big fan of Talesin's builds and MDSnowman's builds for quite some time during my days with M&M 2e. I have been pondering though if I ever do a DC or Marvel universe campaign whose builds to use? What do you all think? Between Talesin and MDSnowman whose builds do you prefer and why?
ImageImageImage

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: DC or Marvel campaign, whose builds to use?

Post by catsi563 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:26 am

both guys do outstanding builds and their would be no problem using eithers interpretations. but dont limit yourself to them. there are many fine builders on this page

kerian valentine, Wordmaker, Baron, Thorpacolypse and the guys at J-Mart, Jabronville, Joshua Dunlow all of them have exellent builds all techincally sound and detailed.

heck Ive got a few builds myself.

while you may find ones cap better then anothers you might like my bats better then the rest. who knows?

the best idea is to check each thread all of which have great index pages and check each build till you find one you like the most and that will work within your campaign.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

PamelaIsley
Zealot
Zealot

Post by PamelaIsley » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:34 pm

I'm partial to my own builds. :)

But they are mostly DC characters.

The person's builds to use is the person who is creating characters that fit with in the PL levels you intend to use in your campaign. Everyone is similar, but the differences can be important. If you think Batman is a PL9-10 street vigilante, you shouldn't use someone who has built him as a PL 11 or 12 JL member, even if that build is more technically proficient.

input.jack
Comrade
Comrade

Post by input.jack » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:34 am

Agreed. My DC game led me to create a lot of write-ups, which work for the "Timmverse" feel I wanted. But not everyone sees the characters the same way. Mix and match, Id say. And use other peoples' write-ups as a springboard for your own. :)
My fingers and my brain work at different speeds. Please forgive my typoes

My Flintlock Fantasy thread
My DC Thread
My Art Thread

Degausser
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Degausser » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:26 am

I would suggest picking and choosing, and also editing to fit your campaign. The big problem with all these superheroes is that there is both a lot of leeway and a lot of uncertainty when it comes to superhero builds, not to mention all the different variations. Are you going to use Golden Age Superman (who couldn't fly)? Infinate Crisis Superman? DC animated Superman? Does your superman know how to build superman robots and cure cancer? Or is he like the Christopher Ried superman who's powerful, but ISN'T a super genius? Is your Batman the guy who can take down the Justice League by hismelf? Or is he the "Nolanverse" Batman who is more realistic.

Like I said, pick and choose which builds fit your campaign world, and edit them as you see nessisary.
Insert witty quote or stupid gif image here.

Captain Liberty
Partisan
Partisan

Post by Captain Liberty » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:30 am

My Batman is the Batman that could take down the Justice League by himself, most definitely. :lol:
ImageImageImage

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:34 am

I set my game in the early 90's Marvel Universe. Jabroni has some great time period builds for that.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by JoshuaDunlow » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:58 pm

kenseido wrote:I set my game in the early 90's Marvel Universe. Jabroni has some great time period builds for that.
Indeed, i prefer the 90's setting as well. And generally that is what i usually do with my own Marvel Builds. Even though i am biased on my own, i am not the most rule savy person. I recommend MDSnowman or Talesin , you can't go wrong either way. And if you want a large list to choose form, use the JMart too.

Btw, Kenseido do you intend on doing a Role Call Thread for your setting?

RogerWilco
Henchman
Henchman

Post by RogerWilco » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:46 am

kenseido wrote:I set my game in the early 90's Marvel Universe. Jabroni has some great time period builds for that.
What I've seen of Jabroni and Taliesin, I prefer Taliesin. I found a lot of Jabroni's builds to have a bit low PL for what I expected, but use loads of points. Taliesin's PLs are where I'd expect them, and most of his builds are a bit cleaner in points.
Haven't looked at MDSnowman extensively yet, but found his posts harder to read.

Jabroni does have an awful lot of builds compared to Taliesin though.

But I'm new to this game, got it last weekend, so don't read to much into my opinion.
D&D 2/3/3.5 veteran + SmallVille fan => Mutants and Masterminds newbie
If I seem to misunderstand you, please know that English is not my first language and I do not live in the USA but in Europe.
Member of gaming community The Conclave

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Taliesin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:13 am

My builds are meant to portray the characters in the comics as faithfully as possible, with playability a secondary concern. As a result, they're not quite ideal if you're looking for PCs to use, since I built most of the characters as NPCs, so I don't normally place any restrictions on their pp/PL, for instance. I also tend to tinker more with the powers so that they do exactly what I want, rather than lifting them from the RAW, which has the result of some more complicated construction. I'm also notoriously unproductive, as rogerwilco pointed out.

I know a lot of other builders do make their builds with PC restrictions in mind, with an eye on power points and keeping the PL to the most commonly-played range (PL8-12). Some, like Elric, even build both NPC and PC versions of the same characters.
Last edited by Taliesin on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

MDSnowman
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by MDSnowman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:27 am

I've been told my builds are really streamlined, more basic takes on most of the characters, mostly because "Character X did Y once in [Insert year]" has never been a good reason for me to ruin a good build trying to tack on something they seldom do (I'm a big fan of extra effort, what can I say). On the downside my builds have been evolving for years now and someone I've had to revise over and over again (say anyone remotely Wolverine or Superman-like) will inevitably be a much tighter, and brutally efficient, than someone I built once and never had cause to look at again.

Ultimately it's your choice whose builds you use. You might want to mix and match them really. I'll tell anyone that the mark of a good converter is that you see someone do something in a better way than you did rip them off shamelessly.

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Taliesin » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:37 am

MDS: I think that we at least share the philosophy of power stunting marginal feats, but apparently to different degrees of application. I also try to build the most common showing of a character, though I'm told my builds look like the higher showings. Then again, I get just as many complaints that I didn't stat up how a certain character used his power in this particular way once or how this other character was able to perform this one feat this other time, so I really feel right in the middle, with equal amounts of criticism from both ends of the power stunts/stat everything spectrum and typical showing/high showing spectrum.

Dreaming Psion
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Dreaming Psion » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:00 am

The more systematic posters will often include design notes with each build on the form and function of a particular writeup. The more prodigous posters may set up general PL/character design guidelines to go with their builds. Sometimes discussions on a thread of how the builds are made can reveal design methodology as well. Pay attention to these sources and they may help you find a build that matches with what you are looking for.
Check out the anime/manga 3e thread
My new Oddballs reborn thread

The Ilethryl Knight
Superhero
Superhero

Post by The Ilethryl Knight » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:04 am

Hmmm... not to take anything away from Taliesin or MDS (I'm a big fan of both), but I'm surprised BARON hasn't been mentioned much. I think his work is definitely among the best here at Roll Call.

Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Elric » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:17 am

To plug my PC builds, Hyborian has turned the DC builds into a 2 MB pdf file and my Marvel builds into a 3 MB pdf file.

I'm aiming for playable builds, so I re-envision characters as necessary to create balanced builds that come in at 15 pp/PL.
3e Builds, 2e Builds, Index of 2e Official Rules Answers & General Resources (includes character creation and fight examples)