Xarathos' Builds: Mass Effect Templates: Infiltrator (PL 8)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Protoss Dark Templar: StarCraft 2 3e

Postby luketheduke86 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Yay for the Protoss! I always thought their backstory and characterizations were pretty cool. As the Jedi show, you can never go wrong with psionic warriors :D. The High Templars were one of my favorite units, partly for making Archons but mostly for that psionic storm 8).

I think some their cybernetic augmentation could be put into a power suit construction but it'd be kind of hard to decide how the abilities would be split among the two. What can we expect next from Xarathos?
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Protoss Dark Templar: StarCraft 2 3e

Postby Xarathos » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:47 pm

Heh, thanks! The more I read of the Protoss backstory and culture the more I like them - and I always liked the High Templar, too, though I never quite got the hang of using them effectively. Units that are exclusively spellcasters require just a touch too much micro for my play style (I had the same problem with Dark Archons) - The Dark Templar were always a little more my speed. Granted, you have to keep them clear of detectors, but there's a lot fewer of those now, so stealth gets a field day!

Plus, now you can make Archons from any combination of Templar - 2 high, 2 dark, or one of each. Awesome. :D

Hmm, what can you expect from me . . . the Protoss Stalker is my next StarCraft build (and the last one I've planned on for sure), but after that I'm not really sure. What would you like to see? More video game conversions? More StarCraft stuff? Hero units? Vehicles? Back to comics? More fantasy stuff? (There's something I need to do eventually, anyway . . . )

I must admit to feeling a little lethargic the last few days. . . I could use some inspiration.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: Protoss Stalker: StarCraft 2 3e

Postby Xarathos » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:09 pm

Alright, finishing off what I consider the "infantry" of the Protoss forces, we have one more to go . . .
Protoss Stalker
"My heart is colder than these steel limbs..."

PL 7:

Abilities: 4 pp
STR 9/1, STA --, AGL 2, DEX 0, FGT 0, INT 0, AWA 3, PRE 1

Powers: 77
- Construct Traits: 42 pp
    Immunity (Fortitude Effects), Darkvision, Accurate Radio Extended 3 (Radar), Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Sure Footed, Feature 1: As commlink
    Armor Plating: Protection 4, Impervious: 8 pp

- Mind of a Templar: Selective extra to speech: 1 pp
- Power of the Void: Teleport 1 (Extended): 3 pp

- Force Field: Protection 3, Impervious: 6 pp

- Phase Disruptors: Ranged Damage 8: 16 pp
- AE: Enhanced Strength 8: 1 pp

Skills: 7 pp
Athletics 3 (+12/4), Close Combat: Unarmed 5 (+5), Ranged Combat: Phase Disruptors 6 (+6)

Advantages: 1 pp
Languages (Khalani, Terran)

Offense:
Phase Disruptors: +6 Atk, Damage 8
Unarmed (Metal Limbs): +5 Atk, +9 Damage

Defenses: 14 pp
Dodge 7, Parry 7, Toughness, Fortitude --, Will 5

Totals: Abilities 4 + Powers 77 + Advantages 1 + Skills 7 + Defenses 14 = 103 (105) pp

Notes: From the StarCraft Wikia:
The fall of Aiur demonstrated to the Dark Templar that more than just stealth and guile were required to defeat the zerg. Hence, the Dark Templar developed the stalker, a war machine inspired by the Khalai dragoon. While dragoons were piloted by crippled protoss, the stalker was controlled by the shadow-essence of a Dark Templar warrior fused into a metal body. The new walkers were armed with carapace-mounted particle disruptors adept against both ground and aerial targets.

Stalkers were credited with many fantastic powers upon their battlefield début. However, only one was witnessed consistently: an ability to instantly teleport, or "blink", from one spot to another. The improved mobility thus granted allowed the stalker to conduct ambushes, catch fleeing foes, and generally engage on their own terms.

This was a really, REALLY hard one to get under caps, and I'm suspecting that it's hurting partly because it needs flaws or drawbacks attached: fine lifting and manipulation aren't really built into the design, though it's conceivable that a Stalker might retain some of its psionic abilities, allowing it to make up for those shortcomings. Stalkers are also larger than a typical protoss, which I would normally buy growth for, but that can also be treated as a complication if it comes up, so I'll leave it for the moment. As always, I reserve the right to revise like mad!

That finishes my run on the Protoss infantry. At some point I may take a stab at designing an Infested Terran, but we'll have to see.

Any other StarCraft builds you'd like to see? Perhaps something that didn't make it to the second game? Or is there another setting I should be tackling? Scifi? Fantasy? Particular characters or archetypes are equally acceptable. I pass the ball to you, gentle readers. Challenge me! :D

EDIT: more tweaks to bring it in line with my other corrections. Credit Murkglow for some of it.
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShatteredFaith
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Protoss Stalker: StarCraft 2 3e

Postby ShatteredFaith » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:57 am

Build Archon- its infantry isnt it? haha

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Design Journal - Protoss Archon: StarCraft 2 3e

Postby Xarathos » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:04 am

Technically, you're right, though it's arguable whether it qualifies in terms of role. Still, I'll make the attempt.

First, background!

The Archon is a gestalt of any two Protoss Templar, who give up their individuality to create a being of incredible potential; pure rage incarnate. It has a great deal in common with the Psionic Storms of the High Templar, were they given thought and form. In gameplay terms, it loses the ability to produce the exotic 'spell' effects of the High Templar or the stealth of the Dark Templar in exchange for its own powerful psionic attack; in MnM terms, there's no real reason why the former should be the case, unless the Archon is saving points by doing so. At the least, Archons should feel free to power stunt afflictions such as Mind Control and the like off of their primary attack.

When first discovered, this gestalt could only be accomplished by two High Templar or two Dark Templar, forming the Archon and Dark Archon, respectively; the new status quo is a sign of the reunification of the protoss people. The first of these new Archons was dubbed the "Twilight Archon", and possessed considerably more power than the more typical archons that followed, able to teleport objects, inflict psionic feedback on other targets, and of course project bolts of psionic lightning.

Because the gestalt is generally permanent, the ability to create an archon is not considered a 'power' of the Templar involved, but rather a plot device effect. Archons also have a great deal of difficulty maintaining their existence for any significant length of time, though rare specimens have been observed to survive years. It demands great unity of thought and will in order to accomplish this.

Choosing the PL for an Archon is difficult; Since the Templar who would be making up its components are PL 7, I would set the PL for a "typical" archon around 8 or 9, while a heroic archon in the vein of the Twilight Archon might be PL 9-10. Probably 8, now that I think of it, since the measurements table seems to suggest that each rank doubles power . . .

I'll work out the details of the build later, and post it when it's finished.

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:31 pm

ShatteredFaith wrote:Build Archon- its infantry isnt it? haha

Damn you beat me to it! :D
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:34 pm

Archons are extraordinarilly powerful units. A group of them in the original game can devestate an enemy base and units in short order with little difficulty.

they have very powerful shields and high health and a nasty attack. Only thing more devestating is a siege tank in siege mode.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:11 pm

catsi563 wrote:Archons are extraordinarilly powerful units. A group of them in the original game can devestate an enemy base and units in short order with little difficulty.

they have very powerful shields and high health and a nasty attack. Only thing more devestating is a siege tank in siege mode.

Agreed - and that at least part because siege tanks give up mobility for range. In my mind, Archons are one of the few things in the game world (especially in terms of "infantry") that can stack up to DC level superheroes in terms of raw power. I was initially thinking PL 8, but now I'm leaning more toward 9 or 10.

Well, the build might take a little longer than I anticipated - I just had Safari eat my post for the second time in mid build. :x

Vexous
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Vexous » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:46 pm

*sigh* Still haven't gotten the new edition so its all a lot of greek to me. That aside, gotta say thanks for the Starcraft builds, I want to run an SC campaign and this should come in handy. Well, whenever amazon decides to ship my books anyway and I understand the game again....

You going to be doing a write up for any of the heroes? Raynor, Kerrigan(that ones gotta be a pain with her powers seemingly so variable), Zeratul, etc?

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Vexous wrote:*sigh* Still haven't gotten the new edition so its all a lot of greek to me. That aside, gotta say thanks for the Starcraft builds, I want to run an SC campaign and this should come in handy. Well, whenever amazon decides to ship my books anyway and I understand the game again....

You going to be doing a write up for any of the heroes? Raynor, Kerrigan(that ones gotta be a pain with her powers seemingly so variable), Zeratul, etc?

Yay! Thanks for reading and commenting! :D I've been wanting to run a StarCraft game myself, but right now I've got too much going on with my group as it is, and I'm not sure all of them would be open to it. I'm glad someone is going to get some use out of these...

I'm waiting on Amazon to ship my hard copy, too - my sympathies.

As for the heroes . . . maybe. It's hard to tell. One of these days, I'm really going to have to pick up some of the expanded universe content for StarCraft and see if it's any good... but that's just an aside, really. I might be interested in trying the heroes.

My thinking is that most of the heroes, if not all, default to around PL 8. But that's just a hunch. My thinking is based on the cinematic portions that make them look solidly into the realm of the movie action hero, and definitively a cut above the more "typical" specimens of their races. Kerrigan is likely much higher (9 minimum, based on her fight with Zeratul in the new game) . . . not to mention the X level Minions she's got running around.

I'll do it, if you think it'll be useful to you. :D

Archon is still on the way, I promise. Energy beings are fun... heh.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: Protoss Archon(!) PL 9: StarCraft 2 3e

Postby Xarathos » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:13 pm

OOooookay. After much pain and suffering, (and 3 attempts eaten by browsers), here it is.

Archon
"We... BURN."

PL 9

Abilities: -2 pp
STR --, STA --, AGL 2, DEX 0, FGT 0, INT 2, AWA 3, PRE 2

Powers: 98 pp
- Trancendent Form: 67 pp
    Immunity: Fortitude Effects, Permanent Insubstantial 3 (Energy Body: No Strength, Immunity to Physical Damage, Immunity to the energy of Psionic Storms), Feature 1: Psionic Link (Other Protoss), Selective Speech; Psychokinetic Barrier (Protection 10, Impervious 9), Regeneration 1 (Recovers Normally)

- Power Overwhelming! 27 pp Psionic Array: 31 pp
[list]Psionic Shockwave Ranged Shapeable Area Damage 9: 27 pp
AE: Telekinetic Perception Ranged Move Object 8, Split, Subtle, Precise: 1 pp
AE: Choose another

Advantages: 2 pp
Daze (Intimidate), Languages (Khalani, Terran)

Skills: 10 pp
Expertise: Choose Two 6 (+8), Intimidation 8 (+10)

Defenses: 20 pp
Dodge 8
Parry 8
Toughness 10
Will 9
Fort --

Offenses:
They're all either Perception ranged or Area.

Totals:
Abilities -2 + Powers 98 + Advantages 2 + Skills 10 + Defenses 20 = 128 pp

Notes: Amazingly, the Archon made exactly 135 points, dead on for PL 9. If you're doing a PL 10 version, just scale up and spend any leftover points.

Do NOT get one of these guys mad at you. Ever. It would be a very, very bad idea. And that's assuming you're not dealing with one that's able to dominate your mind permanently and send you into battle against your former allies (Considerably more likely in the StarCraft-verse given the prevalence of generally low will saves and the relative rarity of psionics).

If you're looking at complications, start with the sheer willpower required to hold this form together . . . few Archons are able to make it last beyond a battle before burning out, and the Templar who created them are always held in the highest honor for their sacrifice. Those who succeed in surviving are among the most highly regarded beings in all of Protoss society, and with good reason.

EDIT: Trimmed a few things partially based on Murkglow's edits, removing redundancies, and generally cleaning up, leaving a few more points to spend on customization.
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Protoss Archon: StarCraft 2 3e

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:24 pm

This is some very cool stuff.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:58 pm

Thanks, JD - glad you like it. :)

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:43 am

yeah now thats an archon. I love the notion of that sacrafice to become quite literaly one of your peoples greatest weapons. A walking will of destruction and raw power that burns out the two involved in the gestalt.

but for that brief transcendant moment your able to destroy nearly all your peoples enemies.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

What's next?: StarCraft 2 3e

Postby Xarathos » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:59 pm

Exactly. :D

Alright, I'm thinking I might move onto the heroes (and villains) next, so I'm putting it to a vote. Which character should I start with?

Here's a quick list of the ones I'm interested in stating out - subject to update.

Jim Raynor (Marine/Vulture Pilot)
    Tychus J. Findley (Marine)
    Sarah Kerrigan/The Queen of Blades (Former Ghost, Infested Terran)
    November Annabella "Nova" Terra (Ghost)
    Zeratul (Dark Templar)
    Tassadar (High Templar) (Suggestion from catsi563)
    Fenix (Zealot) (Request from luketheduke86)

Feel free to suggest anyone I've missed, but these are my favorites of those that survived into the new game.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Added Tassadar and Fenix,
Last edited by Xarathos on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Roll Call”