Xarathos' Builds: Mass Effect Templates: Infiltrator (PL 8)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Paladin of Murlynd (PL 4): Fantasy MnM

Postby Woodclaw » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Xarathos wrote:Ahhh, Troika. . . I remember them. VtM: Bloodlines was the same way. Had a lot going for it, but being a properly 'finished' game wasn't on the list of things going for it. I really hope more developers would take Blizzard's methodology to heart and actually turn out a finished product when it's done instead of pushing to meet an arbitrary deadline and saying, "well, screw it, we'll either patch it or hope that someone else will. While we're at it, let's give a few of our fans the middle finger."

Still, I'll keep an eye out for it sometime when I have time. If nothing else, maybe it'd make a good setting for a tabletop game. :)

So very true, the Troika made great products from the story/system point of view, but it was terrible at software development. On the other hand Blizzard got some curve balls in recent years: the indefinite hiatus of Ghost, and now WoW is turning into a nasty kind of boomerang.

I tried to make a home-made Arcanum game for quite a while, but simulating certain thing (like the opposite natures of magic and technology) isn't that easy.

PS: I still haven't played Wings of Liberty (I'm waiting for the price to drop), but I have a question is it really worth the wait (12 years of hype are hard to satisfy)?
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Paladin of Murlynd (PL 4): Fantasy MnM

Postby Xarathos » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:52 pm

Woodclaw wrote:So very true, the Troika made great products from the story/system point of view, but it was terrible at software development. On the other hand Blizzard got some curve balls in recent years: the indefinite hiatus of Ghost, and now WoW is turning into a nasty kind of boomerang.

I tried to make a home-made Arcanum game for quite a while, but simulating certain thing (like the opposite natures of magic and technology) isn't that easy.

PS: I still haven't played Wings of Liberty (I'm waiting for the price to drop), but I have a question is it really worth the wait (12 years of hype are hard to satisfy)?

Ghost frustrated me, but I'm not really sure why; I don't own a GameCube, and the platform died off only a year or two after Blizzard put Ghost on hold. Probably just as well, considering. . . I do wish they'd revive it as a PC shooter, though.

Hmm. . . opposing powers. That's a tricky one. I guess the best way to handle something like that is using some of the examples GR gives for opposing descriptors and how they interact; leave the point costs unchanged, but there's automatic complications involved for each. Or something. I dunno, not being specifically familiar with the setting makes it hard to be sure, but that's my thought.

As for Wings of Liberty . . . hell yes, it was worth the wait. The new units rock, the graphics rock, the editor is incredible (I've got a map I'm toying with right now that has imported models from WoW involved, just as a test of concept, and I've seen maps that reproduce dozens of other genres already), the gameplay is everything I could have hoped for and then some. The campaign is the single best I've seen in a strategy game in years - and with almost 30 missions, you don't feel like you've missed out by having to wait for the Protoss and Zerg campaigns, because you know that if the Terran one was this long, good, and satisfying, then the next two are going to kick just as much ass. And Jim Raynor rocks as the protagonist. The characterization is compelling, and you get to pick a lot, too - what missions you do in what order, which upgrades to buy, mercenaries to hire. . . plus it's just so pretty. . .

It's a complete game in SO many ways; Blizzard has really outdone themselves, even if they have tricked us all into accepting a trilogy. Yeah. It's that good. :D

I'd say it lives up to the hype pretty well, yes. 8)

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Dark Templar: Starcraft II for MnM

Postby Xarathos » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:39 am

Zeratul
"You speak of knowledge, Judicator? You speak of experience? I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities... Unto my experience, Aldaris, all that you've built here on Aiur is but a fleeting dream. A dream from which your precious Conclave shall awaken, finding themselves drowned in a greater nightmare."

PL 8

Abilities: 56 pp
STR 2, STA 2, AGL 6, DEX 2, FGT 6, INT 4, AWE 4, PRE 2

Skills: 46 pp
Acrobatics 8 (+14), Athletics 10 (+12), Deception 10 (+12), Expertise: History 6 (+10),
Expertise: The Void 10 (+14), Insight 10 (+14), Intimidation 6 (+8), Perception 6 (+10),
Persuasion 8 (+10), Stealth 8 (+14), Technology 2 (+6), Vehicles 8 (+9)

Advantages: 19 pp
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Benefit: Rank (Prelate), Connected, Daze (Intimidation), Evasion 2, Fearless, Hide In Plain Sight, Improved Initiative, Languages (Khalani, Terran), Leadership, Luck 2, Power Attack, Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Athletics), Takedown 1, Uncanny Dodge

Powers: 54 pp
- Protoss Racial Traits: 7 pp
    Immunity (Starvation, Thirst: Dark Templar absorb water the same way as other protoss, though they have adapted their physiology to survive on their lightless home world): 1 pp
    Darkvision, Acute Scent: 3 pp
    Protection 1 (Scales): 1 pp
    Feature 1 (Long lived: Protoss life expectancy is approximately 1000 years): 1 pp
    Telepathic Communication: Selective extra to speech. 1 pp

- Nerazim Protoss Traits: 2 pp
    Psionic Awareness: Psionic Awareness, Void Awareness: 2 pp (Dark Templar have severed the empathic link that ties them to the Khala, and have attuned themselves to the energies of the Void.)

- Dark Templar Training: 38 pp
    Power of the Void: 28 point psionic array: Choose 2 AE's: 30 pp
      - Void Prison: Perception Affliction 8 (Will, Hindered, Stunned, Incapacitated), Cumulative
      - AE: Blink: Teleport 8, Change Direction, Change Velocity
      - AE: Void Blade: Strength Based Damage 6, Penetrating 6, Accurate 1, Improved Critical 4
    "Cloak": Concealment (All Visual): 8 pp

- Cybernetic Upgrades: 7 pp, Removable -1: 6 pp
    Light Force Field: Protection 2, Impervious 5: 7 pp

- Zerg Hide Armor: Protection 1, 1 pp

Offense:
Void Blade: Damage 8, Attack 8
Unarmed: Attack 5, Damage 2
Ranged: Attack 8
- Void Prison: DC 8
Other ranged attacks dependent on weapons (if any).

Defenses: 18
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Toughness 6, Will 8, Fortitude 8

Totals: Abilities 56 + Skills 46 + Advantages 20 + Powers 54 + Defenses 18 = 190 pp
-2 Toughness, +2 Def,

Complications:
    Responsibility: Auir, Shakuras, Protoss race, Dark Templar caste, Prelate, Leader of the Dark Templar,
    Relationships: Tassadar, James Raynor (Friends), Dark Templar caste members,
    Enemy: The Queen of Blades (just like everyone else), the Zerg, the Tal'darim,
    Motivation: Uncovering the prophecy . . .
    Guilt: The Fall of Auir, the death of Raszagal
    Reputation: Dark Templar are feared for being sneaky and deceptive.

Notes: Zeratul rocks. He really does. In the games, he has the single most powerful melee attack in the entire game, with the possible exception of Kerrigan. Here, I just assume that he power attacks/all out attacks most of the time, since he's cloaked almost constantly and hitting someone who's blissfully unaware of you is undoubtedly a routine check. Plus, most of the world is a minion, right?

There was a point where Zeratul thought that between himself, Tassadar, and Jim Raynor, they might be able to take down Kerrigan. It didn't work out so well, as you might guess.

Zeratul is a master swordsman with a few other tricks up his sleeve; if I were to compare him to a fantasy archetype, I'd call him the Swordmage.

Zeratul was appointed leader of the Dark Templar caste upon the death of Matriarch Raszagal, during the Brood War.

EDIT: Incorporated a number of changes from Murkglow's compilation of my builds, and added some more complications.
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Zeratul (PL 8), StarCraft 3E

Postby JoshuaDunlow » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:16 am

Wow i really like Zeratul, just one problem. Impervious can not be higher than the ranks in Protection, if i recall right.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Zeratul (PL 8), StarCraft 3E

Postby Xarathos » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:22 am

Actually it can, as long as it's assumed to be applied to his total Toughness score. Superman, for instance, has Impervious Toughness without any ranks in Protection.

Zeratul gets his bonus from a lot of different places, much like the other Dark Templar.

Glad you like him! :D

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: Fantasy Advantages 3E

Postby Xarathos » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:19 am

Since the Rules-as-Written will only get you started, I'd like to present a few homebrew options for Fantasy style builds in the vein of Warriors and Warlocks/Sword and Sorcery/Dungeons and Dragons. I'll likely update this list every so often as I discover or develop new combinations.

First up, with a little help from JD, I've refined this:

Defender's Challenge:
As a free action, you can "mark" a foe, inflicting a -2 circumstance penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn. This penalty only applies when the target attacks anyone other than you.

Special: A target can only suffer from one mark at a time, and you may only use this Advantage once per round.
Built from the following:
- Affliction 1 (Attacks Impaired), Limited Degree 2 (Only 1 degree), Instant Recovery, Perception Ranged, No Save, Limited: (Applies only to targets other than the user), Action: Free +2: 1 pp

None Shall Pass: Requires Defender's Challenge
When a target you've marked leaves a square you threaten or attacks anyone other than you, you may make an opportunity attack against them as a reaction. You may only make this attack using powers with a range of Close.

Special: If you succeed on your attack, they cannot leave the square you threaten.

Built using a slightly weakened version of the "options as feats" rule from the Masterminds Manual (2e) and ported forward.

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Zeratul (PL 8), Fantasy Advantages

Postby Murkglow » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Updated my booklet:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VPE1D33J

Also Zeratul felt extreemly sparse (No Acrobatics or Athletics? No Luck, ect...) so I bumped him up a fair bit. Tell me what you think. He actually costs more then Tassadar with my build but that's because he spends alot on things like Deception and Defenses that Tassadar didn't have to.

In fact he still feels a bit bare bones for such a main character... Perhaps having more characterful complications might help?

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:14 pm

Okay, that does it: I'm appointing you my official editor, Murkglow. I'm just mortified by the sheer number of things I missed before I posted that build. No Stealth skill! Diplomacy instead of Persuasion! And yeah, a host of other oversights. I incorporated several of the changes from your document, and I'm trying to think of some more complications for him.

I may have to start sending you my builds before I post them, just to get them a good once over before the public sees them. This is embarrassing! :oops:

Changes made, several borrowed from you, and a few others added that I only now remembered. Improvement?

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Murkglow » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:56 pm

That's very nice of you to say. Anything I can do to help, you're more than welcome to.

And, yes, I like the new complications. It's been too long since I've seen the SC campaign so I only barely remember alot of his story (stuff about Raszagal for example).

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:04 pm

Well, you've been very helpful. :)

Yeah, I played through SC2 most recently, and read Queen of Blades of course, so that was what was on my mind - it's been too long since I gave the original a good run through. I should see if I can find my install keys. . .

Glad you approve, though. Good complications really DO make a big difference, don't they?

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:57 pm

Whew! Out of town doing some work for my Grandpa, but finally might get to start an actual M&M game for the first time in ages; my buddy and I have plans for me to run a single player game using a manga style "School for martial artists" as a backdrop. It's going to be pretty much the first time I've tried to run anything that lighthearted, but it should be entertaining.

Today was spent mostly working, then helping him hammer out the rest of the details for his character. My friend being a veteran power gamer, the first thing he wanted was to get all the numbers down (and of course it's the part he needs help with, since he hasn't quite mastered M&M character building yet), and it took awhile. I'm wiped!

I haven't forgotten about this thread, honest - there will be more builds!

Remaining to-do for StarCraft:

Fenix
    Tychus Findley

Also, requests (if any).

After that I'll probably move into another genre that piques my interest. . . I still have to get through a few more of my fantasy builds (Pathfinder/4e stuff for the most part - Dark Sun has kind of captured my imagination recently), and my conversions of the Marvel Icons are due for revision; Iron Man and Thor both need a LOT of work. . . and Cap, well, he needs work too.

Though I'm reasonably happy with my build of Spider-man. :P

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: Praetor Fenix: Starcraft II for MnM

Postby Xarathos » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Praetor Fenix, Steward of the Templar
Original image
"Don't let the fact that I am three hundred and sixty eight years older than you dull your impression of me, young Raynor. I can still... how do you Terrans say it... "Throw down with the best of them!""

PL 8

Abilities: 50 pp
STR 4, STA 3, AGL 4, DEX 1, FGT 5, INT 2, AWE 4, PRE 2

Skills: 35 pp
Athletics 8 (+12), Acrobatics 8 (+12), Close Combat: Psi-Blades 4 (+9), Expertise: History 2 (+4), Expertise: Tactics 6 (+8), Intimidation 8 (+10), Insight 6 (+10), Perception 8 (+12), Persuasion 6 (+8), Technology 8 (+10), Vehicles 6 (+7),

Advantages: 25 pp
Agile Feint, All Out Attack, Benefit: Rank (Praetor), Challenge: Aim, Challenge: Feint, Connected, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Language (Khalani, Terran), Luck 2, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Takedown, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge,

Powers: 35 pp
- Protoss Racial Traits: 7 pp
    Photosynthesis: Immunity 1 (Starvation and Thirst): 1 pp
    Darkvision: 2 pp
    Acute Scent: 1 pp
    Protection 1 (Scales): 1 pp
    Feature 1 (Long lived: Protoss life expectancy is approximately 1000 years): 1 pp
    Telepathic Communication: Apply the Selective extra to the Protoss' speech. 1 pp

- Khalai Protoss Traits: 2 pp
    Khala Psionic Gestalt: Feature 1: Empathic Link to other Protoss
    Enhanced Advantage (Trance): 1 pp

-Limited Psionic Abilities: 2 pp
    Danger Sense: 1 pp, Enhanced Advantage (Improved Defense)

- Cybernetic Combat Armor: 30 pp, Removable -6: 24 pp
    Psi-Blade: Strength Based Damage 3, Multiattack 7, Penetrating 2: 12 pp
    Charge: Speed 2 (Limited: Only when Charging): 1 pp
    Force Field: Protection 7, Impervious 9: 16 pp
    Preserver: Feature 1: When a Protoss is near death, a device activates automatically that teleports him to the nearest Protoss facility capable of providing medical attention.

Offense:
+ 9 Atk (Psi Blades), +7 Damage

Defenses: 10 pp
Dodge 5, Parry 5, Toughness 11, Will 8, Fortitude 8

Totals: Abilities 50 + Skills 35 + Advantages 25 + Powers 35 + Defenses 10 = 155 pp

Complications:
    Responsibility: Praetor, Protoss Race, to the Executor and the Conclave
    Ancient Enmity: Fenix is initially unsure whether he can trust the Dark Templar...
    Relationships: Friendship (James Raynor, Executor Artanis, Tassadar, and later Zeratul)
    Honor: Like all Protoss, Fenix places a high value on his honor.
    Enemy: The Zerg, Infested Kerrigan
Notes:
Fenix, in as much of his glory as could be captured here. This is, of course, Fenix before his first defeat at the hands of Kerrigan and his subsequent "rebirth" as a Dragoon. Dragoon Fenix may well be PL 9...

Fenix was a close friend of Artanis, who was later revealed to have been the Executor (IE, the Player Character) in the first game. He was also revered as one of the greatest Protoss warriors of all time, which may lead me to reevaluate the PL benchmarks I've been using for StarCraft at a later date. For now, it stands.

Despite his role as a "front-line" leader, he doesn't get the Leadership advantage in my build for much the same reason that Cyclops doesn't. He's not the type to hang back and give inspiring speeches from the rear, but he'll be leading his men from the front lines, by example. He does, however, get the Teamwork advantage for that reason. Put Fenix at the head of a few Zealots that have a bit of experience (customized with extra points, in other words), and you'll have quite a sight to see.

Fenix also has the unique distinction of being one of the few beings Kerrigan has had to kill twice.

Additional notes on the build: Challenge (Feint) is an advantage borrowed from the Mastermind's Manual in 2e; it removes the penalties that normally result from attempting to feint as a move action. Challenge (Aim) is similar, but for the Aim action. These two advantages are part of my non to the line, "Greatest Protoss Warrior EVER" associated with Fenix; he can either feint or aim as a move action, then attack as a standard action. Combine those with his Psi-blades and his combat feats, and he's really, REALLY dangerous when cornered.

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Praetor Fenix (PL 8): StarCraft 3E

Postby Murkglow » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:03 pm

I like it. I was initially worried about how you were going to make him stand out from Zeratul (beyond not having Cloak and other such powers) as both are powerful melee fighters but he really does have his own feel and flavor. Very much the master/skillful fighter rather then just strong.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks, Murkglow! I'm glad you like it. :D

Yeah, I was a little worried about that, too, at first, and then I realized what the big difference was. Zeratul is a skilled fighter, true, but he's not as focused on it; his greatest strength is that you never see him coming, and the rest of his psionic arsenal. Not his swordsmanship, as skilled as he is. So I tried to bring that out here, and I'm glad it showed through.

HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Postby HustlerOne » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:35 pm

Xarathos your starcraft builds have been awesome so far. 8) Your protoss builds came out particularly nice.
The heroes are coming out just as nice as "elite" versions of the standard units. I was really surprised how powerful the Queen of blades came out. Still I guess she deserved it after seeing Brood war.

I know your probably sick of starcraft by now. However before you move on I was wondering if you could do
the Ultralisk and Mutalisk. The Zerg equivalents of a Tank and fighter. I was thinking of using your Zerg builds as part of an alien invasion in a upcoming game. The Zerg force wouldn't feel complete without these two.

By the way do you know of the Fighter and Tank equivalents of the other two races in Starcraft 2 are?
I'm guessing the phoenix would be the only protoss fighter. While the Siege Tank is still the basic Terran Tank.

After that it kind of gets vague since the other races have such a wide variety of vehicles.

Return to “Roll Call”