Xarathos' Builds: Mass Effect Templates: Infiltrator (PL 8)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Praetor Fenix (PL 8): StarCraft 3E

Postby Xarathos » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Ultralisk and Mutalisk . . . hmmmmm. An intriguing challenge! I'll give it some thought - I have some extra time this afternoon, so I might even have them done today. A jump back to the zerg might be a nice change of pace after all the Protoss builds . . .

Glad you're enjoying everything so far, and LOVE the idea of using them for an alien invasion! Please, feel free, and let me know how it goes. :D

As for the Protoss, their 'tank' is effectively the Archon, while their fighter, yeah, probably the Pheonix now that the Corsair is gone. Terrans, the fighter is either the Wraith or the Viking, though I tend to think of the Wraith more in that role (especially with all the Top Gun references in the first game), while yes, the tank is pretty self explanatory. ;)

Alright, I'll give the two units some thought and then post what I come up with - I'll even add some tactical notes for you.

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:25 pm

Yay! Fenix! Like I said I always had a bit of a soft spot for him :D. That's also a very awesome Zeratul build at that.
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Murkglow » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:30 pm

I have a soft spot for Fenix too. His deaths were some of the biggest and easily the most memorable events in the game for me.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: SCII Continued: Ultralisk

Postby Xarathos » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:43 pm

Ultralisk
"Oh god, running time! Running running running HURRRK"

PL 9

Abilities: 16 pp
STR 10/2, STA 12/4, AGL 4, DEX 0, FGT 0, INT -4, AWA 2, PRE 0

Powers: 49 pp
Ultralisk Physiology: 49 pp
    Carapace: Impervious Toughness 9: 9 pp
    Huge Size: Growth 8 (+8 Strength and Stamina, +4 to Intimidation, but –4 Dodge and Parry. You are size rank 0 (around 30 feet tall) and +1 speed rank.) Innate, Permanent: 17 pp
    Living Battering Ram: Speed 3: 3 pp
    Heightened Senses: Senses 2 (Low-light Vision, Scent).
    Burrowing: Burrowing 4 (Speed -5): 8 pp
    Swarm Consciousness: Feature 2: mental link to own swarm via Overlords, sensory link. 2 pp
    Fast Healing: Regeneration 2: 2 pp
    Kaiser Blades: The Ultralisk's unarmed attack gains Penetrating 6: 6 pp
Skills: 15 pp
Athletics 8 (+18), Close Combat: Unarmed 8 (+8), Intimidation 8 (+8), Perception 6 (+8)

Advantages: 9 pp
All Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Trip, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Split Attack (Applies to Strength Damage), Startle,

Offense:
+8 Attack (Kaiser Blades), +10 Damage

Defenses: 14 pp
Will 2, Fortitude 16, Toughness 12, Dodge 6, Parry 6

Totals:
Abilities 16 + Powers 49 + Advantages 9 + Skills 15 + Defenses 14 = 103 pp

Notes:
The Ultralisk is a BEAST. It's fast (fast as a tank, to be specific), strong and tough, and its Kaiser Blades will rip through just about anything. What it isn't is terribly intelligent. Break the link with its overlord, and it may well go on a rampage.

It's also scary as all hell, and it knows it somewhere deep in that tiny brain, and will use that intimidate score liberally in combat.

Its biggest weakness is the psionic link to the Overlord (and through it, the Cerebrate/Kerrigan, depending), and its extremely low Will save. Mind control is GOD against Zerg, as the use of the Psi-disruptor and similar tactics have proven.

Tactics: Ultralisks are traditionally used by the zerg as the central component of a larger force; 1 ultralisk, and a larger number of minions. . . I mean, zerglings, hydralisks, and possibly roaches. If air support is available, they'll also be backed up from that direction. Rarely does a zerg strike force mass ultralisks in canon (Or gameplay, since zerglings are so much cheaper). A good creature for a 'boss group' if ever there was one.

This is intended to be representative of the "baseline Ultralisk" - several variations exist, including a variant with 4 Kaiser Blades and other such enhancements. The ultralisk is considered the 'perfected' zerg strain, and is the pinnacle of their ground evolutions.

For additional information, see the StarCraft wikia.

HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Postby HustlerOne » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:50 pm

Murkglow wrote:I have a soft spot for Fenix too. His deaths were some of the biggest and easily the most memorable events in the game for me.

Agreed. Fenix was one of my favorite characters from Starcraft. His death was probably the most memorable since you end up personally killing him. Ouch! :( At least he didn't go down without a fight.

Speaking of which the other most memorable tragic death was probably Admiral DeGual. I felt really sorry for him when he was basically begging for the lives of his directorate soldiers at the end of Brood War.

These two deaths really sealed Kerrigan as the Queen B.... of the universe.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Fenix (PL 8), Ultralisk (PL 9): SC2 Cont

Postby Xarathos » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:58 pm

Yeah, I've gotta admit, I loved Fenix, too . . . he's pretty inspiring. I was really glad to see him back as a Dragoon, and very, VERY put out when he got killed AGAIN.

Pity they couldn't bring him back from that one, but I suppose if they did people would start making Daniel Jackson references. . .

Ultralisk done (assuming I didn't make any math errors), so now it's on to the Mutalisk.

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Murkglow » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:15 pm

HustlerOne wrote:These two deaths really sealed Kerrigan as the Queen B.... of the universe.

I always had a hard time staying angry with Kerrigan though. I just can't blame her after she was abandoned to the Zerg. I mean sure she was evil and all that but I just feel too sorry for her.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: SCII Continued: Mutalisk

Postby Xarathos » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:31 pm

Mutalisk
Like the Nazgul, it's really just mad that it isn't a dragon.

PL 8

Abilities: 8 pp
STR 8/0, STA 10/2, AGL 4, DEX 0, FGT 0, INT -4, AWA 2, PRE 0

Powers: 80 pp
Mutalisk Physiology: 80 pp
    Carapace: Impervious Toughness 7: 7 pp
    Spaceborn Breed: Immunity 10 (Life Support), Flight 14 (Winged), Movement 1 (Space Travel): 26 pp
    Huge Size: Growth 8 (+8 Strength and Stamina, +4 to Intimidation, but –4 Dodge and Parry. You are size rank 0 (around 30 feet tall) and +1 speed rank.) Innate, Permanent: 17 pp
    Heightened Senses: Senses 4 (Low-light Vision, Scent, radio awareness, tracking (Radio)). 4 pp
    Swarm Consciousness: Feature 2: mental link to own swarm via Overlords, sensory link. 2 pp
    Glaive Wurm: Ranged Extra to Strength Damage, Acid, Burst 6 if attack hits, Secondary Effect: 22 pp
Skills: 15 pp
Acrobatics 8 (+18), Ranged Combat: Glaive Wurm 8 (+8), Intimidation 8 (+8), Perception 6 (+8)

Advantages: 6 pp
Agile Feint, All Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Great Endurance, Move-By Action, Power Attack,

Offense:
Glaive Wurm: +8 Attack, +8 acid damage

Complications:
    Vulnerability: The Mutalisk's wings are exceptionally vulnerable to attack, and as such aren't protected by its impervious toughness. Plus, you know, it needs them for flying.
    Acid Blood: The Mutalisk's acidic blood makes it dangerous to fight in close quarters; however, it's just as vulnerable to its own acid as anyone else...
    Disability: Mutalisks are incapable of fine manipulation and, like many zerg, cannot speak.
    Rage: Mutalisks have been known to make some very tactically unsound decisions when angered, often allowing themselves to be defeated as a result.

Defenses: 20 pp
Will 2, Fortitude 14, Toughness 10, Dodge 6, Parry 6

Totals:
Abilities 8 + Powers 80 + Advantages 6 + Skills 15 + Defenses 20 = 129 pp

Notes:
Mutalisks are slightly less powerful than a typical Terran fighter, but there will generally be more of them to make up for the difference in power. Any zerg air assault is going to be made up primarily of Mutalisks, occasionally acting as support for a larger creature. They're also used as scouts, particularly useful due to their ability to sense and home in on radio transmissions. That's right - they can track transmissions. :D

Like the Ultralisk was based on the tank, this build was designed using the Star Fighter in the DCA Corebook as a baseline for power purposes; essentially, this is what you get if you take the star fighter PC's can get as equipment, turn it into a creature, modify the weapons a little, (drop the power slightly to reflect the zerg 'rush' philosophy) and send it at the foe. As such, it should be comparable to the star fighter in some important respects.

Mutalisks tend to attack without thinking of the consequences to themselves, and are very single minded in that regard, acting in blind rage even if it costs them their existence. In combat, they will often dive in close and use their claws rather than firing the Glave Wurm attack from a distance; treat the attack bonus as the same in this case and just adjust the descriptors. This has led to some rather embarrassing moments in which a squad of Zealots managed to not only survive a mutalisk attack, but actually defeat them. With Psi-blades.

A glaive wurm is a short lived, highly acidic entity of itself; the mutalisk actually spawns them and uses them for ammo. And yes, they bounce and degrade explosively. Area with secondary effect seemed like the easiest way to go. Note also, though, that the area only goes off if the initial target is hit by the ranged attack. This attack isn't selective; Mutalisks can also attack at close range using the same "to hit" modifier against a single target, but in doing so they lose out on the area spread and render themselves potentially vulnerable to readied close attacks (see above). This isn't explicitly written in the build, just a note for GM's planning to use them in a game.

When not fighting, they tend to drift lazily through the sky.

EDIT: Added clarification of the descriptors involved in the Mutalisk's area effect.
Last edited by Xarathos on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Fenix, Ultralisk, Mutalisk (PL 8): SC2

Postby catsi563 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:35 pm

just as a clarification note the Glaive Wurm is a bouncing attack. IE it hits one target then bounces another 3 or 5 times between close units.

It was the Devourer who had the acid spit attack that splashed acid and made you more vulnerable to attacks with its stacking debuff.

After that you had the Guardian with its absurd range spit that could blast a base to pieces in a few shots especially if you had 12 of them.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Murkglow » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:49 pm

I expect he built it that way to represent how the unit is in universe and not quite as much in game. Also, a bouncing shot is fine being described as an area attack. Or do you have a suggestion as to how one should build a bouncing shot?

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:11 am

Murkglow wrote:I expect he built it that way to represent how the unit is in universe and not quite as much in game. Also, a bouncing shot is fine being described as an area attack. Or do you have a suggestion as to how one should build a bouncing shot?

This is it, exactly; the area covers the shot hitting the main target, bouncing between nearby targets with reduced effect, then exploding in a mini acid burst. Hence the secondary effect.

A glaive wurm is a short lived, highly acidic entity of itself; the mutalisk actually spawns them and uses them for ammo. And yes, they bounce and degrade explosively. Area with secondary effect seemed like the easiest way to go. Note also, though, that the area only goes off if the initial target is hit by the ranged attack.

At least, that's how I read the partial area rules.

I'll try an clarify that in the main post later, but I think it's right, mechanically.

HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Postby HustlerOne » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks for the Ultralisk and Mutalisk builds. They came out just as I expected and really well. The Zerg Army seems complete now. The only thing left an invading alien army needs is a mothership. I guess I'll just use the space shuttle stats for the Overlord Zerg Transport for now.

By the way does anybody know what a infested Terran is like. I know they can blow up really good like in the first game. I think a female doctor gets infested and can climb walls in the second game. I really don't see Kerrigan as the usual Terran Infestation due to her chrysalis.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Infested terran template

Postby Xarathos » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:57 pm

Shuttle should work fine if you're using the old Overlord as a base (they've evolved a little since then, but it's still close enough). Just add a few ranks of regeneration and the psionic link to all the rest of the zerg . . . (and the knowledge that they're often the weak link in that chain) and you've got it.

Infested terrans have actually changed a lot since the first game; they no longer explode (The zerg have Banelings for that). Kerrigan has been experimenting to perfect a new infestation process based more closely on her own, and the results are . . . well . . .

Clawlike spines for a melee attack, and probably fast healing like the rest of the zerg. Minds almost totally suppressed by the process, controlled by the zerg completely (and by Kerrigan), they act an awful lot like zombies, really. Right down to the slow plodding march.

However, infested terrans also retain their weapons training, which means that infested Marines exist, and they shoot things. :P

If you want a template for the process, something like this should do it:

Infested Terran Template
"Please . . . kill me . . . "
Total Cost: 13 pp
PL: Base Creature +1
Abilities: -4 pp
+1 Strength, +1 Stamina, -4 Intellect

Powers:
Claw Spines: Additional limbs 2 linked: Strength Based Damage 1, Penetrating 1, Reach 1; Movement 2 (Wall-Climbing): 9 pp
Carapace: Protection 1, Impervious 3: 4 pp
Hive Mind: Feature 2 (Psionic Link to swarm, shared senses): 2 pp

Sample Complications:
    Dance, Puppet, Dance: Infested terrans usually have just enough willpower to make controlling them difficult, so the average sample is treated as being under the 'compelled' condition; 1 standard action or lower chosen by an outside party, probably a nearby overlord. Some terrans are more easily manipulated, and they are treated as "controlled". Destroy the overlord, however, and they're more likely to just go insane than be friendly again . . .

Some of them have other abilities, but this is the baseline. Hope it helps!

HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Xarathos' Builds: Infested terran template, StarCraft 2 3E

Postby HustlerOne » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Cool Infested Terran Pic. 8) Zombies in any game are always fun. The infested Terran template should come in handy for my planned zerg invasion of our modern day earth.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: Special Items... RvB

Postby Xarathos » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:21 pm

Just for the sheer unadulterated fun of it, here's a special item for 3E, as featured in the popular web series, Red vs Blue. :D

Tucker's Sword
"Caboose: ... we came home because the alien died, and because the uh, glowing sword turned out to be a, uh glowing key.
Church: Yeah, a glowing key that could still STAB people.
Caboose: Right.
Church: So it is a sword. It just happens to function like a key in very specific situations.
Caboose: Or it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in people, it unlocks their death."

Item PL: Wielder +2 Melee
Plasma Sword: 10 pp traits, Easily Removable -4, Restricted (Only the first person who picked it up) +2: 8 pp
    Plasmic Blade: Penetrating 2 Strength Based Damage 4, Linked Weaken Toughness 4 (Limited: Objects Only): 8 pp
    Feature 1: Temporal Inertia (The bearer remains aware of any changes in the time stream, and remembers events from previous temporal loops)
    Feature 1: Glowing (As flashlight)

Notes: I just felt like posting this, and I've been sorely tempted for awhile now to try making a few RvB builds - I thought this would be a nice little teaser while I decide if it's something I really feel like doing.

Plus, it's just a really cool sword. It could easily be dropped into any game where its abilities are appropriate.

Yes, I know it's also featured in Halo with several of the specifics removed, but as far as I'm concerned, this is the 'legendary' version of the mundane item featured in the games. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;D

Return to “Roll Call”