Xarathos' Builds: Mass Effect Templates: Infiltrator (PL 8)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Re: Xarathos' Builds: NextWave: The Captain (PL 10)

Postby luketheduke86 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:38 am

These look pretty cool Xarathos, though i have limited (ie. NO) experience with Nextwave. I may just have to shell out the money to check out the TPB...as soon as I'm not flat broke that is :D.
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:49 am

I'd highly recommend it - you won't be disappointed. Unless you were really hoping to read Watchmen, because it's nothing like Watchmen. :D

Seriously though, Nextwave is just FUN. Pure unstoppable fun from beginning to end.

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Postby luketheduke86 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:52 am

Xarathos wrote:I'd highly recommend it - you won't be disappointed. Unless you were really hoping to read Watchmen, because it's nothing like Watchmen. :D

Seriously though, Nextwave is just FUN. Pure unstoppable fun from beginning to end.

I already added it to my wishlist on Amazon :D.

EDIT: forget that I got impatient and used a credit card :wink:.
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:58 am

NICE. :D

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: NextWave: Dirk Anger

Postby Xarathos » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:09 pm

And now, for something completely different. And yet oddly similar.

Dirk Anger, Director of H.A.T.E.
Dirk Anger, Director of H.A.T.E. (Highest Anti-Terrorism Effort): "New H.A.T.E. trainees, wonderin if you're going to make the grade as full agents. You know who I am? I'm Dirk Anger, director of H.A.T.E. I've been director of H.A.T.E. for longer than you've been alive. Except maybe you. You look kinda old."
H.A.T.E. Trainee: "I'm thirty, sir."
Dirk Anger, Director of H.A.T.E.: "Thirty? You look like a bag of dried buttskin. I'm older'n you. I'm ninety years old. You know how I look so pretty? I take drugs. Special H.A.T.E. drugs. Life-extending drugs. H.A.T.E. has the best drugs. Because H.A.T.E. loves me. And I love H.A.T.E. Every day of my horrible drug-extended terrorist-fighting life. Every day I smoke two hundred cigarettes and one hundred cigars and drink a bottle of whisky and three bottles of wine with dinner. And dinner is meat. Raw meat. The cook serves me an entire animal and I fight it bare-handed and tear off what I want and eat it and have the rest buried. In New Jersey! For H.A.T.E.!"

PL 6

Abilities: 34 pp
STR 2, STA 2, AGL 2, DEX 3, FGT 6, INT 1, AWE 0, PRE 1

Equipment:
    Assault rifle, Light Pistol, body armor (+3 Toughness), 16 points of other equipment.
Powers: 2 pp
    Feature 1 (Longevity)
    Immunity 2 (Cigarettes, Alcohol) flawed: Half effect each: 1 pp
Advantages: 16 pp
Benefit 2 (General, Director of H.A.T.E), Defensive Roll, Equipment 7, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Master Plan

Skills: 12 pp
Athletics 4 (+6), Expertise: Soldier 6 (+7), Expertise: Tactics 6 (+7), Intimidation 2 (+3), Perception 2 (+2), Ranged Combat (Light Pistol) 2 (+9), Vehicles 2 (+4).

Offense:
Init +2, Unarmed +6 (Damage 2), Assault Rifle +7 (Ranged Damage 5, Multiattack), Light Pistol +9 (Ranged Damage 3).

Defense: 9 pp
    Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fort 6, Tou 6/2, Will 2.
Totals: Abilities 24 + Powers 2 + Advantages 16 + Skills 12 + Defenses 10 = 64 pp

Complications:
    Loyalty: Beyond Corporation, H.A.T.E.
    Suicidal: "I'm so alone... "
    Hatred: NextWave, girls, failed suicide attempts.
    Oedipus Complex: Okay, maybe not specifically, but what would YOU call someone who puts on his mother's old dress and talks to her ghost when he's feeling particularly miserable? It was either that or Deeply Terrifying (and exploitable) Mommy Issues.
Notes: ... Wow. This guy ... Just ... thank all that is holy Warren Ellis wasn't allowed to use Nick Fury for this part, or we'd never ever EVER be allowed to forget it. :D

Dirk Anger feels to me like an underpowered version of Nick Fury, or a mildly powered up soldier with serious issues, and so I tried to capture that here - he's really not all that well trained, and any one member of NextWave would shred him in a direct fight. It's the resources he commands that pose a threat, and it's not really even because he's especially competent. Because he isn't.

Naturally, this is meant to represent Dirk Anger at the beginning of the series ... for those who haven't read it, you'll know what I mean when you see it. No spoilers intended here.
Last edited by Xarathos on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Xarathos' Builds: NextWave: Dirk Anger, Director of H.A.T.E.

Postby Murkglow » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 pm

What made Dirk so awesome for me was the amazing art he had. Those facial expressions he got at times were just hilarious. Of course his lines were also just great "Imma watch TEEVEE!"

Minor correct: His defenses should cost 10pp.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:05 pm

Agreed completely - his dialog was amazing from the very first scene, and the expressions were priceless. :D

Also, fixed that math problem. Thanks again. :)

Siskoid
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Siskoid » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:07 am

I thought you were gonna stop at the Nextwave guys proper, but you keep going! Standing ovation.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:42 pm

Ah...now that's some good Dirk! He freakin' MAKES that book. Well, actually the characters are fun, but his loony rants are great comic stuff. Kudos on the build.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks, Thorp! Glad you approve. Dirk Anger's opening rant made my day the first time I read it, and it still makes me grin whenever I think of it. :D

And Siskoid, I just couldn't resist doing a build of Dirk ... whether I do any others depends on the direction my enthusiasm takes me. More on this to come soon.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:49 pm

So, in the time to come I'm torn between the following courses of action:

1) Performing major revisions on my big-league Marvel builds to bring them into line with my current design philosophy - Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Doc Strange, etc; along with 3E versions of the ones I haven't converted yet, and a few of the supporting cast B-listers that I've always loved (Black Cat is on my 'must one day do a build' list).

I'm pretty happy with my Sinister Six builds ... mostly.

2) Doing a DC build or two, though I'm somewhat remiss to do this due in part to limited familiarity, and part because of the exceptional builds already being produced - particularly those in the Hero's Handbook and the upcoming Heroes and Villains books.

3) Fantasy; while I don't consider myself an authority on the genre, there aren't that many builds being done for 3e fantasy at the moment, and I always have fun with my D&D Conversions. Probably won't be doing much with the monster manuals (Prodigyduck is already doing such a great job with them) (not that it'd stop me completely), but the Player's Handbooks could use some coverage.

4) Watchmen. As a total departure from the lightheartedness of NextWave. Must must MUST build Rorschach ...

5) Red vs Blue; I consider this distinct from actual Halo-verse video game conversions, which is good because as a PC exclusive gamer I've only played the first Halo. I have, however, watched the entire RvB series and recently broke down and purchased the remastered version of seasons 1-5; it might not be a bad thing to get some of it out of my system. I also consider this the closest thing I want to do anytime soon to a return to the sci-fi genre. :D

6) Eventually I want to circle back to NextWave and do some of the supporting cast, specifically the robot broccoli men. But I'm not up to it at the moment - right now I need another change of pace. :)

As a side note: builds might be somewhat slow in the forthcoming weeks, as I've finally returned to school, but I do want to keep going as this is part of what keeps me sane. So.

Thoughts?

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Xarathos' Builds: RvB: Mjolnir Armor Mark IV; Gun-fu notes

Postby Xarathos » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:35 pm

For my own reference (and for the benefit of any further Red Vs Blue builds I might do), here are the stats for the Mjolnir armor I'll be using - any Halo experts may feel free to correct me if I've missed any critical details. This is meant to be representative of the Mark IV armor used at the beginning of the series; in M&M terms, the upgrades to Mark V and VI will likely be relatively insignificant.

Mjolnir Mark IV Armor
Powers: 40 pp traits, Removable -8; Restricted (Only Spartans) +1: 33 pp
    Augmented Physique: Enhanced Strength 1, Power Lifting 2: 4 pp
    Augmented Reflexes: Enhanced Agility 1, Enhanced Fighting 1: 4 pp
    Improved Mobility: Leaping 1, Speed 1: 2 pp
    HUD: Senses 5 (Commlink, Detect 2 (UNSC Troops), Detect 2 (Motion Tracker), Low-Light, Time Sense) (7pp)
    Life Support: Immunity 10 (Life Support): 10 pp
    Armor Plating and Plasma Shield: Impervious Protection 5; Immunity 5 (Plasma Weapons) Flawed: Half effect: 13 pp
Complications:
    AI Slot: Normally this would be considered a feature, but since the suits don't actually ship with an AI outside of advanced military programs such as the UNSC proper or the Freelancer program, the AI slot renders simulation troopers vulnerable to malignant AI, such as Omega.

Notes: The abilities above are enough to bump a Spartan offensively by 1 PL, and defensively more than that; the biggest factor remaining becomes the individuals training. Of course, in the RvB continuity, this armor is far more common than in the mainstream Haloverse . . . however, I'm deliberately trying to avoid pushing too much emphasis on the device itself, because I think training and genetic enhancements are a big part of the Spartan program, too - even where the washouts and rejects like Red and Blue army simulation troopers are concerned.

(They just don't get nearly as many).

I'm not completely certain about how I've handled the plasma shields, but it seems like the simplest way to do things to me at the moment - if I change my mind, I'll tweak it again later.

I haven't yet completely decided the PL range for the members of Red and Blue army, but I'm generally eyeballing it somewhere between 7ish (for Donut), 9 (Washington, possibly characters like Wyoming) and 10 (Tex, Meta), with Tucker falling in around 9 based on his fight with Tex in the new season . . . Sarge, Grif, Simmons, Church and Caboose I'll most likely place around 8.

As an additional side note . . . I've recently realized that DCA only draws the barest distinction in the RAW between a "device" (which can be taken and used against you, but also loaned to an ally), and something like the martial artists improvised weapons power - using an ordinary object in an extraordinary way. It has occurred to me that this may be why the idea of a 'requires weapon' quirk isn't present in the rules, nor the restricted extra as it existed in 2E. It would have been nice to have this explicitly stated, but . . .

I'm going to be making this assumption in any future builds which use special combat training like Gun-fu or other powers which use weapons, and it should make things a little cleaner and consistent.
Last edited by Xarathos on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShatteredFaith
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Xarathos' Builds: RvB: Mjolnir Armor Mark IV

Postby ShatteredFaith » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Its shown in the fall of reach book that Mjolnir armor enhances you to such extent that a normal human wearing it breaks his arm by extending it, the suit moves it too fast. Im not sure if that's even feasible to stat up in MNM, but i figure the armor gives more than a 1 step bonus to strength and agility. Also, the HUD can detect non-unsc troops as well. You get red dots for enemies.

Overall though I like the statup.

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Xarathos » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:28 pm

ShatteredFaith wrote:Its shown in the fall of reach book that Mjolnir armor enhances you to such extent that a normal human wearing it breaks his arm by extending it, the suit moves it too fast. Im not sure if that's even feasible to stat up in MNM, but i figure the armor gives more than a 1 step bonus to strength and agility. Also, the HUD can detect non-unsc troops as well. You get red dots for enemies.

Overall though I like the statup.

You're right, I had read some of that, and I tried to handle it in several different ways:

Power Lifting included in the strength means that the lift strength is augmented by a total of 8 times the strength of the man inside, which should already be fairly high in the case of actual Spartans, but might be lower in the "Simulation Troopers" that are Red and Blue team.

Restricted is also intended to reflect this; if an "ordinary" human tried to steal the armor and use it, it would most likely break them. The UNSC SHOULD have talked to Tony Stark! :D

As for agility, I'm not sure how much more the armor should really do in that regard - I think most Spartans are pretty agile already, and the armor doesn't actually increase things for them by that high a factor. However, it's so much more than a normal, un-augmented, un-enhanced human . . . crack.

I'm glad you like it, though! I went ahead and added Detect 2 (Motion Tracker) to the HUD to represent a bit better how things work in the game, leaving the Detect for allied troops as is. Hopefully that fixes any sensory problems with the armor.

Stumblefish
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Stumblefish » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:33 pm

Awesome work on the Next Wave builds. No-one gives them any respect but you and Warren Ellis. I'm going to have a look round to see if anyone has done a 3rd Ed version of the other very big character that features in the series. I doubt it but you never know.

Keep up the good work.

Return to “Roll Call”