The Continent of Castellia (named after a Nymph of Greek Mythology- just as "Europa" itself was
) is your typical D&D-styled fantasy world, containing pretty much every animal and concept you see in their main books. A crescent-shaped continent over twice the size of Europe, it's a mainly Middle Ages-type world where the crossbow is the cutting-edge of technology, although the entire world is strongly implied to have a past with much higher levels of power ("Legendary Weapons" resembling modern laser pistols have been uncovered). Armored knights are still the most powerful individuals, but magic is commonly practised in many areas. It's extremely dangerous and unpredictable, so many societies either outlaw it period (violations punishable by death) or force magically-powered individuals into segregated training schools. As such, high-class warriors (usually nobility) and wizards/mages are the peak of power... except for Monsters.Questers:
"Adventurers" (sometimes known as Mercenaries, Questers, or Heroes- to the more idealistic) are extremely numerous. The land is dangerous, well-forested, and covered with all sorts of beasts. Mercenary work is plentiful- from scouring a nest of bug-people to defending a village from 40 marauding Orcs, it's all there. Some cities have laws against brandishing full arms in their limits, but even more welcome a paid defense corps. Though some people dislike and mistrust Questers, they are an accepted part of life
Oh, and Dinosaurs are everywhere. Because that's just way more awesome.The Creation of the World:
First there was nothing, then there were Primordials. The Primordials begat the Dragons, who held all the power in the world. The Dragons created the Titans, who overthrew them, and created their old cruel Empires, and gave birth to the Giant races. The Giants then begat the Gods of the Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Beasts, who overthrew the GIANTS, forming the world we now know today. The Dragons and Giants both still dream of Empire, but both are too heavily-split to make this a practical idea. The natures of pantheons vary, but Humans actively worship the Gods of Earth myth: The Greek, Norse & Egyptian Gods.The Kingdoms of the World:
A Germanic-type kingdom, once made up of city-states and minor provinces, but now combined under the power of the Grand Kaiser, Elric the Great. They are an "antagonist" of sorts, attempting to control all Human lands, and eventually the entire continent. Their best soldiers are the Masked Knights, armoured men wearing "Totem Masks" that represent animals or other monsters.Marsellia
- Gallea's powerful neighbors, these French/English-hybrids are less technologically-minded, but use a powerful force of Knights and Centaurian Lancers. Most of the "heroes" come from here.
Corellia- A Rome-type nation that once held power over almost all of Castellia, but lost it centuries ago. Currently undergoing a renaissance of sorts.Lacae
- Close to the Elf lands, Lacae has been altered by their culture, creating armies of skilled Swordsmen in lighter armour. Much wilder and more plains-oriented than most Human lands. It contains MANY large forests, but also the Giant Forest, home to extremely large variations of many known types of creature.The Orc Kingdoms
- Various tribes of Orcs and other Greenskins live in this region.Hobland
- The Hobgoblin's powerful City-State, far away from most Humans.Jobbonia
- A Goblin-led City-State, not known for being overly powerful, nor very orderly.The Undead Lands
- Hordes of Undead, led by power-hungry Vampires, rule a large swath beneath Gallea (separating it from Corellia), breaking up many Human lands (though many Humans live within it's borders).The Underworld/Subterranea
- The underground homes of Dark Elves, Dwarves and Fire Giants, among other, more ancient creatures. It runs under almost all of Castellia, effectively doubling the liveable size of the continent.Off Castellia:Albador
- A Magic-tinged Isle (with satellite islands) to the Northwest, of indeterminate size (combined, the islands are easily the size of Castellia proper), home to the Elves.The Grimmsvell
- Far to the Northeast, it is connected to Castellia in Summer months, it rapidly approaches with a magical sheet of ice in Winter. It is largely ruled by Human Barbarians, and the mighty Frost Giants.The Eastlands
- Settled by a variety of creatures. The Ogre Kingdoms are at the edges, separated from the Egyptian-themed Sun Giants by a vast desert and mountain range. Much of the land is Africa or Mongolia-themed, with similar types of animals.The Southlands
- An enormous continent, ruled by the last vestiges of old Reptilian Kingdoms. It is from here that Dinosaurs, Giant Snakes and Lizardmen come. A large portion of the world's Dragons come from here.The Seas
- More vast than any place on land, it is home to countless racers, monsters and animals.
Much of the other lands have been unexplored.Racial make-up:Humans
: Fast-breeding and intelligent, they are known as the fastest-learning race, are the most powerful overall on the continent, but are splintered and prone to civil war. Currently, the mighty Kingdoms of Gallea and Marsellia are opposing each other in the central region of the crescent, while Korellia, a once-mighty kingdom, lies to the South, split off from the others by the Undead Lands.Greenskins (Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins & Bugbears):
The Greenskin Races (though other colours are common) are the most common, but disorganized, often devolving into warbands and small tribes, though the occasional actual civilization has sprouted up, sating the usually-famous "Green Temper".Orcs
- Large, burly and stupid, the Orcs lean towards chaos, though at least one semi-civilized city has formed. Some are not as stupid as thought.Goblins
- Small and skittish, Goblins are victimized by other, larger Greenskins, and rarely get to own their own lands. They are famous as the "Jobbers" of all the races, producing the weakest soldiers.Hobgoblins
- Human-sized, Hobgoblins are the most-civilized Greenskins by far, and run their own City-State, populated by Wyvern Knights, riding Horse-sized armless Dragons.Bugbears
- The largest and most anti-social "Greenskin" (most are brown), they are often solitary.Elves
: These types are haughty and formal, usually hiding away on their mystical islands off-continent or in the dark forests and Underworld (depending on the type) unless they're specifically dealing with humans as part of their profession.High Elves
- Live on Albador, a very Magical isle. They are the most proud of the Elves, and have an Oriental/Japanese theme, with elite Samurai and powerful Wizards. The Kingdom has been closed off from Castellia for a long time.Wood Elves
- Live in the Forests of Marsellia and Lacae, usually outside the influence of others. They have agitated relations with other types of Elf.Dark Elves
- Split from the High Elves millennia ago thanks to a war between their Gods, they vary in colour, and live either on Dark Isles to the West, or in the Underworld.Dwarves
- They are common but keep to themselves, living in the underground.Heffolk
- The Heffolk (a bastardization of "Half-Folk" aka Hobbits/Halflings) are common as an underclass, treated like modern Roma (aka "Gypsies") in the big cities, and band together for protection.Trolls
- Not quite Greenskin and not quite Giant, these hungry monsters occasionally gather, and Regenerate from damage quickly.Shokan
- Underworld-dwelling four-armed monsters, these are some of the most brutal unarmed fighters in the world.The Undead (Vampires, Skeletons, Zombies, Mummies, etc.)-
These monsters have overtaken a huge portion of the Eastern part of Castellia, led mainly by a Vampiric Aristocracy- various Undead have even discovered how to breed via Dark Magic!Beast-Kin:
Extremely numerous, but separated by species for the most part, Beast-Kin are made up of nearly every known animal, merged in form with humans. Though Centaurs and Minotaurs are considered related to them, they have rarely allied with these creatures. Most-common are Goat-Kin, Canids and Hyena-Kin (also known as Gnolls). They act as raiders.Centaurs-
They make up a large portion of the civilization of Marsellia, one of the main human kingdoms, and their power has led to them being raised as a second-citizen warrior-knight class (their "Wild" kin still exist, and resent them).Pegasus Centaurs
- Very rare, but mostly evil, armoured Sky Knights. Like Centaurs, but with wings.Minotaurs
- Descending from one key Island City in the human Kingdom of Gallea, these have provided a source of warriors for that country.Man-Scorpions
- Large, Centaurian arachnids living in the Eastland deserts.
Seafolk- Underwater types of Beast-Kin are known to exist, from Merfolk on the "good" side, and nastier, more animalistic types on the other, though any alignment is possible.Death Mantas
- Evil, sentient Manta Ray-type creatures that control large areas of the underseas through fear.Reptilians
: The most ancient sentient creatures in the world- they once owned the entire planet, but lost all their power millennia ago.Skinks
- The thinkers and aristocrats of Reptilian Kingdoms. They use poisoned darts and spears as weapons, and master magic more than their fellows.Kobolds
- Similar to Goblins, these tiny humanoids are famously weak, and by FAR the most common reptiles on Castellia proper, possessing numerous huge "hives" of underground creatures. Famous for using traps.Lizardmen
- Burly, man-sized creatures, they are slow to move and slow to think, but are incredibly-strong warriors.Heavy Lizards
- A catch-all for all giant Lizard-like creatures, including Crocodilian, Ceratopsian, Stegosaurid and Tyrannosaurid-type humanoid monsters. As dumb as Hill Giants, they are the most powerful Lizards around.Dragon-Men
- Draconic humanoids with wings and great strength. Often the minions of true Dragons.Dragons
- Numerous races all-around, these are the mightiest creatures in the world PERIOD. Huge and incredibly dominant, they vary in alignment and organization- some are solitary, sleeping giants, while others are rulers of massive kingdoms. Some are good, and others are evil creatures devoted to ruling the world once again.Giants
: These beings once held most of the power on Castellia, and remain a huge factor in the world as well, existing in various types and subtypes throughout all the major Kingdoms, taking up various roles.
Some have even formed their own Kingdoms.Fire Giants
- Nivelhoemme, Lair of the Fire Giant King, is home to a Dwarf-shaped 12-foot-tall race of black or red slavers.Frost Giants
- The Grimmsvell region, a large portion of the Northern Wastes, is home to the raider-like Frost Giants. They are easily the largest Giant-based empire, and often invade human settlements with their Human Barbarian allies.Forest Giants
- Large green and yellow Giants living in Lacaean and Marsellian forests, they live like Wood Elves, with large poisoned arrows.Hill Giants
- A numerous race of either foolish Barbarians, or Human-shaped and minded creatures at 10-foot sizes.Ogres
- An eight-foot race of hungry raiders, with their own Kingdom to the East.Sun Giants
- Egyptian-styled large human-type Giants, controlling a large, civilized nation.Stone Giants
- Xenophobic but not evil, these Giants are filled with the shame of losing their old lands.Cloud Giants
- Arrogant sky-titans who rarely "sully their hands" with others.Storm Giants
- Incredibly-powerful geniuses, related to the Titans of old.Ettins
- Large, two-headed morons with clubs.Athaches
- Three-armed monstrosities.Death Giant
- Huge, white or black monstrosities.Mountain Giant
- The largest humanoids in the world, these foolish barbaric types can lay waste to entire cities.
Plus just about anything else you feel like: Rakshasa, Psionic creatures, Thri-Kreen (Ant-people), whatever. I can add more when I think of them, or have ideas.Inter-Species Breeding:
The Gods are fickle and strange, and have a sick sense of humour. In general, any creature can mate with any other type of creature (assuming the anatomies line-up...), and produce a hybrid. It is by this manner than Minotaurs were created (a human female was forced by the Human Goddess Aphrodite to fall in love with a Bull), and possibly other types of creatures as well. Though this is by far the most rare type of reproduction (most races mate with their own kind), it is still known in areas where two races overlap. The creature born most-often resembles the mother in size and shape, for reasons of survival (hard for some creatures to give birth to other creatures- imagine a Human Female birthing a full Centaur) and simple decency.
Inter-species love is infrequent, but still common enough to have solutions. To avoid certain impracticalities, some creatures are known to visit powerful Alchemists, who can transmute a member of the couple into another species. These spells are often complicated (due to permanency), difficult and highly-dangerous, and so run at a tremendous cost.Common Hybrids:
Half-Elves (Elf/Human)- Probably the most common type of hybrid. Few react overly much to these (both races are often common in many areas), but they rarely find true acceptance in either culture. The classic "Tragic Outcast".
Elf Hybrids (Hill/Wood/Dark Elf)- The races are largely-alike, so their half-offspring could pass for either race, much more easily than a Half-Elf could.
Ogrillon (Orc/Ogre)- Two brutish races appear to be natural mates.
Half-Giant (Frost Giant/Human)- Frost Giants control many lands that Humans frequent. Though this has anatomical difficulties, many Alchemists, talismans and spells will allow for it.
Hill Ogre (Hill Giant/Ogre)- The two races are already quite similar, and produce grey or brown-ish, hefty offspring.The Eldritch Pools:
Castellia and it's surrounding continents possess large sources of energy known as the "Eldritch Pools". These Pools of glowing energy (flowing out of huge craters) are created from sheer chaos, and are the results of the wars between the Gods, and meteor strikes from afar. Strange occurences happen around the Pools, and bizarre creatures (often regular Animals turned magical) are created from the proximity to such primal forces. Many avoid these areas whenever possible, while other creatures appear to worship them, and others still actually draw real power from them. Great danger always occurs for those who stray too near.
Known Eldritch Pools (all are visible from space, and appear to have numerous colourations):
The Giant Forest- Lacae's fabled forest, where the trees, animals and even people grow to spectacular heights, is fueled by a Pool in dead-centre.
The Great Maw- Centred in the Ogre Kingdoms, it soon came to represent their entire mythology, based around consuming various things. It is the source of the Ogres' ability to eat all substances, and gives their Divine Clerics (the "Butchers") their powers.
The Undead Pit- Hidden from mortal eyes by hordes of Undead.
The Dinosaur Crater- In the Southlands, said to be near the lair of a mighty Dragon.
The Sea Crater- Actually at the ocean's depth, it is the source of many extra-normal sea creatures. It is surrounded by other, smaller Pools.