Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Prodigy Duck 3e Builds (Red Ghost, Red Guardian, Red Skull)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.

Re: Prodigy Duck 3e Bestiary Builds (Ogre)

Postby Jabroniville » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:44 pm

In any case, I always liked Ogres. Probably my favourite variant on the name is in the Warhammer-verse, where they're a culture of Mongol-looking big fat guys who have a religion based entirely off of eating things. They spread through the world having adventurers and eating new things. Though the Pathfinder "Super-Rapist-Incest-Beasts" aspect is also interesting... but more nightmare-y.

It's kinda funny to consider the issues of a 10-foot-tall man weighing only 600 lbs. That means they're about three feet taller than Andre the Giant ever was, but only weigh one-hundred pounds more- they're either made of aluminum, or they're REALLY skinny :).

Hill Giants & Ogres always seemed kinda redundant to me, since both were apparently 10 feet tall. But then, that's one of the neat things about D&D- there's a lot of races that occupy multiple niches (why else have Sahuagin, Locathah AND Kuo-Tua as "Token Evil Underwater Race"?), allowing you to pick and choose which ones you want. Me, I'm kinda constructing a world where the Ogres are like Warhammer's (about 8 feet tall usually, big and obese), and the Hill Giants look more like the Incredible Hulk in build, and are 10 feet tall- they sound close in scale, but two feet is actually a BIG difference when both creatures are well-built.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby prodigyduck » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:46 pm

Jabroniville wrote:In any case, I always liked Ogres. Probably my favourite variant on the name is in the Warhammer-verse, where they're a culture of Mongol-looking big fat guys who have a religion based entirely off of eating things. They spread through the world having adventurers and eating new things. Though the Pathfinder "Super-Rapist-Incest-Beasts" aspect is also interesting... but more nightmare-y.

It's kinda funny to consider the issues of a 10-foot-tall man weighing only 600 lbs. That means they're about three feet taller than Andre the Giant ever was, but only weigh one-hundred pounds more- they're either made of aluminum, or they're REALLY skinny :).

Hill Giants & Ogres always seemed kinda redundant to me, since both were apparently 10 feet tall. But then, that's one of the neat things about D&D- there's a lot of races that occupy multiple niches (why else have Sahuagin, Locathah AND Kuo-Tua as "Token Evil Underwater Race"?), allowing you to pick and choose which ones you want. Me, I'm kinda constructing a world where the Ogres are like Warhammer's (about 8 feet tall usually, big and obese), and the Hill Giants look more like the Incredible Hulk in build, and are 10 feet tall- they sound close in scale, but two feet is actually a BIG difference when both creatures are well-built.

I agree. I do find the redundancy of creature type to be very annoying.

For example... in 3rd the edition MOnster Manual, there was the Tojanida. This was an outsider that was native to the Plane of Water. It had the ability to swim fast and squirt ink. Isn't that position already filled by octopi and squid?

I try to keep these things in mind when running my own fantasy games.

As for the aquatic variations... Sahuagin are in the Ocean... Kuo-Toa are in the Underdark (at least, they are in my games; and never shall the two meet). I don't use Locathah.
"Terrorism is the tactic of the weak." -Reza Aslan, Muslim Scholar

Mediocrity always attacks excellence.

Please see my MnM Beastiary.
prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby prodigyduck » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:06 pm

ALL HEADS: What do you want?
MINSTREL (singing): To fight, and--
ROBIN: Shut up! Um, oo, n-nothing, nothing really -- I, uh, j-j-ust to um, just to p-pass through, good Sir knight.
ALL HEADS: I'm afraid not!
ROBIN: Ah. W-well, actually I am a Knight of the Round Table.
ALL HEADS: You're a Knight of the Round Table?
ROBIN: I am.
LEFT HEAD: In that case I shall have to kill you.
MIDDLE HEAD: Shall I?
RIGHT HEAD: Oh, I don't think so.
MIDDLE HEAD: Well, what do I think?
LEFT HEAD: I think kill him.
RIGHT HEAD: Well let's be nice to him.
MIDDLE HEAD: Oh shut up.
LEFT HEAD: Perhaps-
MIDDLE HEAD: And you.
LEFT HEAD: Oh quick get the sword out I want to cut his head off!
RIGHT HEAD: Oh, cut your own head off!
MIDDLE HEAD: Yes, do us all a favor!
LEFT HEAD: What?
RIGHT HEAD: Yapping on all the time.
MIDDLE HEAD: You're lucky. You're not next to him.
LEFT HEAD: What do you mean?
MIDDLE HEAD: You snore.
LEFT HEAD: Oh I don't -- anyway, you've got bad breath.
MIDDLE HEAD: Well its only because you don't brush my teeth.
RIGHT HEAD: Oh stop bitching and let's go have tea.
LEFT HEAD: All right, all right, all right. We'll kill him first and then have tea and biscuits.
MIDDLE HEAD: Yes.
RIGHT HEAD: Oh, but not biscuits.
LEFT HEAD: All right, all right, not biscuits, but lets kill him anyway.
ALL HEADS: Right!
LEFT HEAD: He buggered off.
RIGHT HEAD: So he has, he's scarpered.

GERYON (PL 13)
Base: The Island of Erytheia
Affiliation: Greek Pantheon of Immortals

Strength 11, Stamina 7, Agility 5, Dexterity 2
Fighting 10, Intellect 7, Awareness 6, Presence 9

POWERS
Brutish Attacks:
Array (33 points)
Tail Sweep: Cone Area Affliction 11 (Vulnerable / Prone; Resisted by Dodge; Limited to Two Degrees), Linked Cone Area Damage 11 – 33 points
Brutal Smash: Affliction 11 (Dazed and Vulnerable / Prone and Stunned; Resisted by Fortitude; Cumulative, Extra Condition, Grab-Based, Limited to Two Degrees) – 1 point
Fearsome Gaze: Perception Ranged Affliction 11 (Impaired / Disabled / Controlled [to flee]; Resisted by Will; Cumulative, Visual Sense-Dependent) – 1 point
Four-Armed: Extra Limb 2 (Innate) – 2 points
Four-Winged: Flight 2 (8 mph; Wings) – 2 points
Horn of Geryon: Summon Minotaurs 3 (Active, Horde, Multiple Minions 3 [8 minotaurs]); Easily Removable (-12 points) – 18 points
Huge Size: Growth 8 (Innate, Permanent; -4 active defenses included), Protection 8 – 25 points
Immortal Traits: Immunity 8 (Aging, Fire Damage, Heat, Poison) – 8 points
Serpent Tail: Movement 1 (Slithering) – 2 points
Three Headed Vision: Senses 4 (Darkvision, Radius Vision) – 4 points
Three Heads, Three Minds: Immunity 10 (Mind Control, Stun Effects) – 10 points
Triple Actions: Summon 16 (Heroic, Limited to heads, Multiple Minions 1) – 80 points

ADVANTAGES
Fast Grab, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Languages 2 (Greek, Latin [Infernal is native])

SKILLS
Deception 10 (+19), Expertise (Magic) 5 (+12), Expertise (Theology/Philosophy) 10 (+17), Intimidation 10 (+23), Perception 5 (+11), Persuasion 10 (+19)

OFFENSE
Initiative
+5
Brutal Smash +10 (Close, Grab-Based Affliction 11)
Fearsome Gaze Perception (Ranged, Affliction 11)
Tail Sweep Area (Close, Affliction 11 plus Damage 11)
Unarmed +10 (Close, Damage 11)

DEFENSE
Dodge
6, Parry 11, Toughness 15
Fortitude 12, Will 11

Abilities 82 + Advantages 5 + Defenses 20 + Powers 184 + Skills 25 = 316 Total

COMPLICATIONS
Enemy:
Heracles; in ancient times, the demigod poisoned Geryon and stole his prized cattle.
Infamy: Geryon is known as a three-headed giant from Greek legend.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Prodigy Duck 3e Bestiary Builds (Geryon)

Postby input.jack » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Great build!

And the quote is HILARIOUS! :D
My fingers and my brain work at different speeds. Please forgive my typoes

My Flintlock Fantasy thread
My DC Thread
My Art Thread
input.jack
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:00 am

prodigyduck wrote:I agree. I do find the redundancy of creature type to be very annoying.

For example... in 3rd the edition MOnster Manual, there was the Tojanida. This was an outsider that was native to the Plane of Water. It had the ability to swim fast and squirt ink. Isn't that position already filled by octopi and squid?

I try to keep these things in mind when running my own fantasy games.

As for the aquatic variations... Sahuagin are in the Ocean... Kuo-Toa are in the Underdark (at least, they are in my games; and never shall the two meet). I don't use Locathah.

I'm intrigued- based off of all the D&D stuff you know, what kind of games do you tend to play? Which kind of races do you use as major PC races, and major foe races? Personally, I don't GM, but if I did, I'd find it nigh-impossible to "pare down" the innumerable monsters and races in D&D to create a simple, small base assortment of creatures. I'd probably end up using all three of the "redundant underwater evil races", the "redundant underwater decent races" (Sea Elves, Tritons, Merfolk), the "redundant plus-size Big Dudes" (Ogres & Hill Giants), and the super-ridiculous numbers of Elf & Dwarf sub-types out there (Dark, Sun, Moon, whatever).

Heck, I can't even pare down which races will use which Non-Horse mounts (I love that kind of crap in fantasy worlds)- I wanna go with the standard "Orcs use Giant Boars", but then I go "but Orcs riding Rhinos and Dinosaurs is COOL!" and wanna make them the Elites of the Elites and stuff. Then I wonder why ANYONE would be using Horses.
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Darzoni » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 am

prodigyduck wrote:I agree. I do find the redundancy of creature type to be very annoying.

Most of the redundant creatures in D&D were created to throw curveballs at the players who claimed they'd seen it all. What's really the difference between a kobold and a goblin, for example? The main differences are entirely descriptive. So really, blame the early metagamers for the vastness of the D&D bestiary, even with the redundant stuff.

Incidentally, metagaming is also why the Tomb of Horrors exists...
Elf: He has issues with things like letters and numbers.
Dwarf: I can count to ten, how dumb is that?
Darzoni
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Woodclaw » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Darzoni wrote:

Most of the redundant creatures in D&D were created to throw curveballs at the players who claimed they'd seen it all. What's really the difference between a kobold and a goblin, for example? The main differences are entirely descriptive. So really, blame the early metagamers for the vastness of the D&D bestiary, even with the redundant stuff.

Incidentally, metagaming is also why the Tomb of Horrors exists...

I'm generally very pissed off by the level of redudancy that D&D had achieved over the years. A couple of curveballs are usually fine, but when there are up to 5 monsters that fit in the same niche without even being separated by environmental barriers (e.g. the Purple Worm and the Dune Crawler are basicly the same monster in two different environments) the whole concept of integrated ecosystem goes right down the toilette.

But what bugs me most are the undead, save some peculiar exception undead are usually created, not spontaneously generated, yet it seem that based who you cast the spell upon you get a different result and/or you can - apparently - use the different parts of it to built multiple undeads (bones for a skeletron, one hand for a creeping claw, skin for a skinsail the soul for a wraith etc.) which is wrong on many levels.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)
Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:37 pm

I prefer to compare it to the real world's own share of redundancy, when I really think about it. I mean, do we really need FOURTY kinds of Dolphin & Whale? Half of them are the same size! We've got a dozen monkeys at the same size scale, multiple types of Crocodile, dozens of Hadrosaurs that are all the same size, nature evolved Elephant-scale mammals TWICE (from the Rhino & Pachyderm families), and we even TRIPLED the types of fast, finned creatures of near-identical sizes- The Dolphins, the Ichthyosaurs and the Sharks all maintain similar ecological niches, and look virtually identical in shape and form! Now THAT is redundant!

Looking at it that way, D&D's redundancy makes a lot more sense :).
Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Woodclaw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:22 am

Jabroniville wrote:I prefer to compare it to the real world's own share of redundancy, when I really think about it. I mean, do we really need FOURTY kinds of Dolphin & Whale? Half of them are the same size! We've got a dozen monkeys at the same size scale, multiple types of Crocodile, dozens of Hadrosaurs that are all the same size, nature evolved Elephant-scale mammals TWICE (from the Rhino & Pachyderm families), and we even TRIPLED the types of fast, finned creatures of near-identical sizes- The Dolphins, the Ichthyosaurs and the Sharks all maintain similar ecological niches, and look virtually identical in shape and form! Now THAT is redundant!

Looking at it that way, D&D's redundancy makes a lot more sense :).

Jab the point here is a bit different, the real world redundacy is usually based upon variations of the same creature (or creature type), the D&D redundancy spawn from the fact that creature who have nothing in common fill up the same spot.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)
Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Prodigy Duck 3e Bestiary Builds (Oozes)

Postby prodigyduck » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:51 am

Beware of the blob, it creeps and weep and slides and glides...

BLACK PUDDING (PL 9)

Strength
3, Stamina 6, Agility -5, Dexterity -5,
Fighting 7, Intellect --, Awareness -5, Presence -5

POWERS
Acid:
Weaken Toughness 11 (Resisted by Fortitude; Affects Objects, Grab-Based), Linked to Damage 11 (Grab-Based) – 17 points
Huge Body: Growth 8 (Innate, Permanent; -4 active defenses included) – 17 points
Ooze Body: Insubstantial 1 (Innate, Permanent), Movement 1 (Slithering) – 8 points
Ooze Senses: Senses 7 (Accurate Radius Ranged Touch [tremorsense]) – 7 points
Ooze Traits: Immunity 27 (Critical Hits, Poison, Paralysis Effects, Sleep, Stunning Effects, Transform Effects, Visual Sensory Effects) – 27 points
Split: Summon Black Ooze 5 (Active, Continuous, Heroic, Indifferent, Triggered [when struck by slashing weapon], Uncontrolled) – 18 points
Suction: Enhanced Athletics 8 (Limited to Climbing), Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 2) – 6 points

ADVANTAGES
Chokehold, Fast Grab

SKILLS
Athletics 0 (+3, +11 climbing)

OFFENSE
Initiative
Acid +7 (Close, Weaken 11 plus Damage 11)
Unarmed +7 (Close, Damage 3)

DEFENSE
Dodge
-6, Parry 6, Toughness 6,
Fortitude 9, Will -2

Abilities -50 + Advantages 2 + Defenses 12 + Powers 100 + Skills 0 = 64 Total

COMPLICATIONS
Disability:
A black pudding is mute and has no hands. It has no visual, hearing, or olfactory senses.
Power Loss: A black ooze’s acid does not affect stone objects.

Black puddings are scavengers in constant search for organic matter to consume. They mindlessly attack any organic creatures they encounter, dissolving flesh, bone, and even metal armor before moving on to consume its next meal.

The average black pudding measures 15 feet across and 2 feet thick. It weighs about 18,000 pounds.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby prodigyduck » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:56 am

GELATINOUS CUBE (PL 7)

Strength
0, Stamina 8, Agility -5, Dexterity -5,
Fighting 3, Intellect --, Awareness -5, Presence -5

POWERS
Acid:
Weaken Toughness 2 (Resisted by Fortitude; Affects Objects, Grab-Based), Linked to Damage 2 (Grab-Based) – 3 points
Anesthetizing Slime: Affliction 10 (Hindered / Immobilized / Paralyzed; Resisted by Fortitude; Cumulative, Reaction) – 50 points
Engulf: Affliction 3 (Hindered and Vulnerable / Defenseless and Immobilized / Paralyzed and Unaware; Resisted by Dodge; Cumulative, Extra Condition, Instant Recovery, Limited to Large-sized or smaller creatures, Progressive, Sustained) – 15 points
Huge Body: Growth 8 (Innate, Permanent; -4 active defenses included) – 17 points
Ooze Body: Insubstantial 1 (Innate, Permanent), Movement 1 (Slithering) – 8 points
Ooze Traits: Immunity 32 (Critical Hits, Electricity Damage, Poison, Paralysis Effects, Sleep, Stunning Effects, Transform Effects, Visual Sensory Effects) – 32 points
Transparent: Visual Concealment 2 (Passive) – 2 points

OFFENSE
Initiative
Acid +3 (Close, Weaken 2 plus Damage 2)
Anesthetizing Slime +3 (Close, Affliction 10)
Engulf +3 (Close, Affliction 3)
Unarmed +3 (Close, Damage 0)

DEFENSE
Dodge
-8, Parry 0, Toughness 8
Fortitude 9, Will -4

Abilities -60 + Advantages 0 + Defenses 4 + Powers 134 + Skills 0 = 77 Total

COMPLICATIONS
Disability:
A gelatinous cube is mute and has no hands. It has no visual, hearing, or olfactory senses.
Power Loss: A gelatinous cube’s acid does not affect metal or stone objects.

A gelatinous cube is an unusual, mindless predator that dwells in ancient crypts and vaults. They roam the halls of old ruins, scouring the floors and walls of any material in their paths. Organic material is quickly dissolved in the acidic ooze that makes up the body of the cube, while stone and metallic material spend time floating in the body of the creature until eventually expelled. It is only due to the occasional random object floating in a cube’s body that warns dungeon-delvers of the dangerous presence of a gelatinous cube. Otherwise, the creature would be completely transparent, with only a glint of its shiny form in the light being the last thing an adventurer ever sees.

The average gelatinous cube measures 10 feet to a side and weighs as much as 15,000 pounds. Cubes that feed regularly can grow far larger.

A gelatinous cube approaches any organic material it senses with a slow, slithering pace. It attacks by touching its prey which is then paralyzed with an anesthetizing slime that covers its entire body. The cube then engulfs the paralyzed target and dissolves the organic material in its body with powerful acid.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby prodigyduck » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:00 pm

GRAY OOZE (PL 4)

Strength
1, Stamina 5, Agility -5, Dexterity -5,
Fighting 2, Intellect --, Awareness -5, Presence -5

POWERS
Acid:
Weaken Toughness 6 (Resisted by Fortitude; Affects Objects, Grab-Based), Linked to Damage 6 (Grab-Based) – 9 points
Ooze Traits: Immunity 37 (Critical Hits, Cold Damage, Fire Damage, Poison, Paralysis Effects, Sleep, Stunning Effects, Transform Effects, Visual Sensory Effects) – 37 points
Transparent: Visual Concealment 2 (Passive) – 2 points

ADVANTAGES
Chokehold, Fast Grab

OFFENSE
Initiative
Acid +2 (Close, Weaken 6 plus Damage 6)
Unarmed +2 (Close, Damage 1)

DEFENSE
Dodge
-4, Parry 3, Toughness 5
Fortitude 6, Will -4

Abilities -34 + Advantages 2 + Defenses 4 + Powers 63 + Skills 0 = 35 Total

COMPLICATIONS
Disability:
A gray ooze is mute and has no hands. It has no visual, hearing, or olfactory senses.
Power Loss: A gray ooze’s acid does not affect stone objects.

Gray ooze is a living form of slime that slinks through cold swamps and marshes. They can also be found in caverns and dungeons. They consume any organic matter they encounter.

Gray oozes are particularly feared due to the fact that they are transparent. This makes them difficult to detect while they are still or moving slowly.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby prodigyduck » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:02 pm

OCHRE JELLY (PL 6)

Strength
2, Stamina 6, Agility -5, Dexterity -5,
Fighting 4, Intellect --, Awareness -5, Presence -5

POWERS
Acid:
Weaken Toughness 2 (Resisted by Fortitude; Affects Objects, Grab-Based), Linked to Damage 2 (Grab-Based) – 3 points
Large Body: Growth 4 (Innate, Permanent; -4 active defenses included) – 9 points
Ooze Traits: Immunity 27 (Critical Hits, Poison, Paralysis Effects, Sleep, Stunning Effects, Transform Effects, Visual Sensory Effects) – 27 points
Split: Summon Ochre Jelly 3 (Active, Continuous, Heroic, Indifferent, Triggered [when struck by slashing weapon or electrical attack], Uncontrolled) – 10 points
Suction: Enhanced Athletics 8 (Limited to Climbing), Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 2) – 6 points

ADVANTAGES
Chokehold, Fast Grab

SKILLS
Athletics 0 (+2, +10 climbing)

OFFENSE
Initiative
Acid +4 (Close, Weaken 2 plus Damage 2)
Unarmed +4 (Close, Damage 2)

DEFENSE
Dodge
-3, Parry 6, Toughness 6
Fortitude 8, Will -3

Abilities -42 + Advantages 2 + Defenses 8 + Powers 70 + Skills 0 = 38 Total

COMPLICATIONS
Disability:
A gray ooze is mute and has no hands. It has no visual, hearing, or olfactory senses.
Power Loss: A gray ooze’s acid only affects flesh.

Ochre jellies are animate masses of ooze. They move about, in constant search of food, which includes all organic matter. The ooze’s body is made up of yellow-orange colored acid capable of dissolving any organic material.

An ochre jelly can grow to a diameter of about 15 feet and a thickness of about 6 inches, but can compress its body to fit into cracks as small as 1 inch wide. A typical specimen weighs about 5,600 pounds. The jelly exudes pseudopods to slam and grapple foes in combat.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby catsi563 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:09 pm

YAY oozes and slimes and puddings.

some fo my fave dungeon crawl monsters to use on players. cant just hack and slash your way through em without some serious pain.

just need green slime and you got the lot. :mrgreen:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563
catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby prodigyduck » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:30 pm

catsi563 wrote:YAY oozes and slimes and puddings.

some fo my fave dungeon crawl monsters to use on players. cant just hack and slash your way through em without some serious pain.

just need green slime and you got the lot. :mrgreen:

Green slime is more of a hazard than a monster... but I'll see what I can do.

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call