Twitch's 3E Thread - Now Featuring: Cable

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Twitch
Henchman
Henchman

Twitch's 3E Thread - Now Featuring: Cable

Postby Twitch » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:17 pm

I've been a lurker and sometimes poster on these forums since 1E. I've decided to really give character creation a swing with 3E and wanted to share some of what I've come up with with you.

My goal is to create balanced, playable and fun builds (usually PL10). So you may see classic villains and heroes down powered a bit, but I've always liked the idea of creating the classics so that they could be picked up and played at the recommended level.

And here ... we ... go!

Update Notes - last updated 4/15/11
  • added Nathan Dayspring (Cable)

Marvel
Nathan Dayspring (aka Cable) • PL10
Green Goblin • PL10
Marrow • PL10
Wasp (Hank Pym) • PL10 (and his swarm of ants)

Original
Carbot • PL10 - Robot getaway driver turned hero.
Legion • PL8 - DC inspired magic wielding teenager with the curse of "duplication".
Ultimate Maxwell Lord • PL10 - Alternate universe Checkmate spy and pilot of the OMAC armor.
Mr. Herbert Lowell • PL6 - Turn of the century pulp novelist who can see the future.
Last edited by Twitch on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:25 am, edited 22 times in total.
Twitch's Playable 3e Builds

I...sometimes I wonder, what if the powers I have, that my brother has, how do we know that they are the gifts of God, and not the tricks of the Devil?

Twitch
Henchman
Henchman

Green Goblin

Postby Twitch » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Green Goblin • PL10
Abilities
Strength 9, Stamina 10, Agility 6, Dexterity 8, Fighting 3, Intellect 9, Awareness 1, Presence 4

Powers
Goblin Glider
: 20 points, Removable (-4 points) • 16 points
Flight 5, Movement 1 (Sure footed), Features (Hidden Compartments, Remote Control), Enhanced Advantages (Move-by Action, Improved Smash, Evasion 2, Defensive Roll 2)

Advantages

Benefit 4 (multi-millionaire), Equipment 3, Quick Draw, Well-informed

Skills
Deception 4 (+8), Expertise: Science 8 (+17), Intimidation 4 (+4), Ranged Combat: Pumpkin Bombs 6 (+14), Ranged Combat: Razor Bats 2 (+10), Technology 8 (+17), Vehicles 10 (+18)

Equipment
Goblin Bombs Array10 points
• Exploding Pumpkin: Ranged Damage 5 • 10 points
• Hallucinogenic Pumpkin: Ranged Affliction 5 (entranced, defenseless, unaware) • 1 point
• Smoke Bomb: Ranged Cloud Affliction 3, (vision impaired, vision disabled, vision unaware) • 1 point

Razor Bats: Ranged Multi-Attack Damage 1 • 3 points

Offense
Initiative +8
Pumpkin Bombs +14, Ranged Damage 5
Razor Bat +10, Ranged Damage 1
Unarmed +3, Close Damage 9

Defense
Dodge 6/8*, Parry 5, Toughness 10/12*, Fortitude 10, Will 3
*Defense while on the Goblin Glider

Power Points
Abilities 100 + Powers 16 + Advantages 8 + Skills 21 + Defenses 4 = Total 150

Complications
Enemy • Spider-man
Obsession • Even Norman's most elaborate plans always come back to Spider-man.
Temper • Norman is prone to violent outburst when stress causes the Goblin to rear his masked head.

Design Journal
:arrow: I'm not a big Norman Osborn fan, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make his sled and a pumpkin bomb array!
:arrow: After careful consideration I've decided the Goblin is so reliant on his glider that it needs to be a device, I also added a few more pieces of equipment to his bag of tricks.
:arrow: this was edited on 8/6 to fix his toughness and attacks to fix some PL concerns
Last edited by Twitch on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:29 am, edited 10 times in total.

I...sometimes I wonder, what if the powers I have, that my brother has, how do we know that they are the gifts of God, and not the tricks of the Devil?

MindCrush
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Twitch's 3E Thread - Green Goblin (Marvel)

Postby MindCrush » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:33 am

Looks like a pretty solid Goblin build to me. I especially like your build for the Glider. Giving it Move By Action and Defensive Roll is something I would never have considered but it makes perfect sense and really shows off the advantages of the Glider. Looking forward to seeing more of your builds.

MindCrush

Tyrant Lizard King
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Tyrant Lizard King » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:37 am

Good job on the build, Twitch. One very minor note, however: his Goblin Bombs array should actually cost a total of 11 points, not 10. Still, great job, keep it up! Look forward to seeing more.

Twitch
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Twitch » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:26 am

Tyrant Lizard King wrote:Good job on the build, Twitch. One very minor note, however: his Goblin Bombs array should actually cost a total of 11 points, not 10. Still, great job, keep it up! Look forward to seeing more.

I listed the array the way they are listed in DCA. So the array cost 10 pts, but the 1pt for the alternate effect is calculated in the overall equipment costs. It was a little confusing to me. I had to do the math a few times to figure out what was "wrong" with batman...when it turned out nothing was.

Twitch
Henchman
Henchman

Marrow (Marvel)

Postby Twitch » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:05 pm

Marrow • PL10
Abilities
Strength 5, Stamina 6, Agility 6, Dexterity 6, Fighting 8, Intellect 2, Awareness 5, Presence 2

Powers
Bone Creation: Array 12pts
Bone Shard Blast: Ranged Damage 4, Multiattack • 12 points
Bone Blades: Create Object 10, Innate, Permanent, Proportional, Flaw: Close, Enhanced Advantage:
Improvised Tools) • 1pt

Dense Bones: Protection 5 • 5pts

Two Hearts: Regen 5 • 5pts

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Close Attack 4, Defensive Attack, Favored Enviroment (Sewers), Fearless, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Bind

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+10), Athletics 4 (+9), Ranged Attack 3 (Bone Shards) (+9), Stealth 2 (+8)

Offense
Initiative +6
Bone Shards +9, Ranged Damage 4
Bone Blades + 12, Close Damage 8 (strength based, sword damage)
Unarmed +12, Close Damage 5

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Toughness 11, Fortitude 11, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 78 + Powers 23 + Advantages 14 + Skills 26 + Defenses 9 = Total 150

Complications
Mutant • Lives in a world that fears and hates her.
Disturbing • Bones protrude from her entire body. Hot, right?
Good call Xavier • Remember when she murdered a subway full of innocent people, or that club full of innocent people? Yeah, lets make her and X-man.

Design Journal
:arrow: This is certainly a character who in a source book I would expect to see at a lower level, she definitely gets an upgrade if your creating a PL 10 playable version
:arrow: The Bone Creation array was fun to make. Her bone blades end up really cheap, but she really is limited with what she can create (blades, clubs). She has also created very simple tools in the comics, hence the Improvised Tools. That way she can create and object, like picks or a scalpel to help another character with the check.
:arrow: I decided to leave bone blades as a standard action. She is pretty dangerous with those blades, but she is going to 'lose a turn' pulling them out.
:arrow: After it was pointed out that I messed up her atk/def limits I went back and reduced her Abilities. I used the points to tweek her defenses and give her some more combat feats. This way she is more of a scrapper then a tank.
Last edited by Twitch on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

Twitch
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Twitch's 3E Thread - Marrow, Green Goblin *added notes*

Postby Twitch » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:06 am

Added some designer notes for Goblin and Marrow. Let me know what you guys think of the sled (device v vehicle) or Marrow's bone creation powers!

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Murkglow » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:16 am

Could you explain your attack and defenses to me?

Bone Blades + 12, Close Damage 11 (strength based, sword damage)

How do you have a +12 attack, +11 damage ability? Well I know how, Sword + strength but you're not allowed to go over your PL limit (which in this case 20 total) even with a sword and especially when that sword is a standard piece of equipment (well not equipment exactly but standard "effect").

Dodge 8, Parry 15, Toughness 13, Fortitude 12, Will 2

Likewise, how do you have 15 parry and 13 toughness? Again you're limited by your power level (which is again a total of 20). If I'm missing something feel free to tell me but otherwise... :shock:

Twitch
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Twitch » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:59 am

Murkglow wrote:How do you have a +12 attack, +11 damage ability? Well I know how, Sword + strength but you're not allowed to go over your PL limit (which in this case 20 total) even with a sword and especially when that sword is a standard piece of equipment (well not equipment exactly but standard "effect").

Edit: Because I totally messed up her build. I was calculating Atk and Effect and Parry and Toughness separately.

Back to the drawing board. :)

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Murkglow » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:01 am

In that case, your Green Goblin has the same problem with his defenses (dodge 13 with Toughness 15/16).

Anyway, good luck to ya and keep it up. They are good builds.

BlindPugh
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby BlindPugh » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Always good to see some love for Marrow. :)
When realities collide- Quicksilver With thanks to Tatooedman.
Shadow war- Bill Sakowski
Toronto's greatest heroes- Green Ronin

Twitch
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Twitch » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks to Murkglow I've gone and made some changes to Marrow and Green Goblin. Their numbers should be all balanced. Now back to the drawing board for...hmm...

Zero? Maverick? Mr. Sinister. Hmm.

Twitch
Henchman
Henchman

Swarm of Ants? That could only mean...

Postby Twitch » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:06 am

Swarm of Ants • PL 10 minion
Abilities
Strength 3, Stamina 5, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect -, Awareness 0, Presence -

Powers
Movement 3 (Slithering, Sure Footed, Wall-crawling) • 3 points
Insubstantial 1 (Fluid; Permanent, Innate) • 7 points
Damage 6 (Affect Corporeal, Burst) • 18 points
Protection 8 • 8 points

Advantages
Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Grab

Offense
Initiative +2
Swarm Attack: DC 16 vs Dodge, +6 Damage

Defense
Dodge 0, Parry 0, Toughness 15, Fortitude 5, Will 0

Power Points
Abilities 8 + Powers 34 + Advantages 3 + Skills 0 + Defenses 0 = Total 45

Design Journal
:arrow: Edited the swarms defense/abilities/protection. They are easy to hit, but with Insubstantial and Protection your will be challenged to disperse the swarm.
:arrow: This is for use with my Hank Pym build (see below).
Last edited by Twitch on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:10 am, edited 6 times in total.

Twitch
Henchman
Henchman

Henry 'Hank' Pym (Marvel)

Postby Twitch » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:42 pm

Wasp • PL10
Abilities
Strength 1, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 2, Intellect 10, Awareness 7, Presence 2

Powers
Pym Particles Array
Growth 16: Continuous (96' tall, +16 STR, +16 STA, +8 Intimidation, +2 speed rank, -8 Active Defenses) • 48 points
Shrink 16: Continuous, Normal Strength (4" tall, +16 Stealth, -8 Intimidation, +8 Active Defenses) • 1pt

Wasp Goggles • 22 points, Removable (-4 points) • 18 points
Summon 3 (Heroic, Controlled, Mental Link), Enhanced Advantages 3 (Eidectic Memory, Well-informed, Assessment), Features 3 (Video Camera, Commlink, Audio recorder);
Ant Swarm stats

Flight 4 (Flaw - Wings) • 4 points

Bioblast Gun 6 points, Removable (-1 points) • 5 points
Ranged Damage 3

Toolbot 2 points, Removable • 2 points
Enhanced Advantages (Improvised Tools, Quick Draw)

Advantages
Benefit 2 (Avenger clearance and status), Inventor, Jack-of-all-trades, Ultimate Skill: Science, Ultimate Skill: Technology

Skills
Expertise: Science 10 (+20), Expertise: Technology 10 (+20)

Offense
Initiative +2
Unarmed: Giant Sized 2, Damage 17
Bioblast: Gun 2, Damage 3
Swarm Attack: DC 16 vs Dodge, +6 Damage

Defense
Dodge 2 (10 shrunk), Parry 2 (10 shrunk), Toughness 2 (18 giant), Fortitude 2, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 56 + Powers 78 + Advantages 6 + Skills 10 + Defenses 0 = Total 150

Complications
Wife beater • Remember that time Hank smacked Jan? Yeah, so does everyone else.
Love • Even though Jan is dead his love for her is still a driving force in his life. He even loves robots that are like her.
Skrull Imposter • Many of Hank's most shining and redemptive moments were actually all done by a Skrull.

Design Journal
:arrow: This Hank Pym is an attempt to capture everything he can do in the comics right now. Unfortunately that comes at the sacrifice of his defenses. If an villain gets a jump on Hank he is pretty easy to take out. If Hank has the chance to Shrink he is tough to hit, or grow he is tough to damage.
:arrow: I always like what Dan Slott was able to to with Pym, and was very disappointed to see all those accomplishments given to a Skrull
:arrow: To make this a bit more playable I would likely remove the Bioblast and Flight, and play more of a pre-death of the Wasp version. Doing that gives you another 9 points to tweek his stats and defenses.
Last edited by Twitch on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Twitch
Henchman
Henchman

Carbot (Original)

Postby Twitch » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:40 am

Carbot • PL10
(Han Dover)
Abilities
Strength 7, Stamina -, Agility 5, Dexterity 3, Fighting 5, Intellect 5, Awareness 5, Presence 2

Powers
Car Jacking: Affliction 10 (Alternate Resistance (Vehicle Check), Affects Objects Only, Limited - Vehicles, Sustained (Free Action) • 20 points

Robot!
Comprehend 3 (Speak, Read, Write) • 3 points
Leaping 3 • 3 points
Protection 11 • 11 points
Immunity (Fortitude Effects) • 30 points

Advantages
Chokehold, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Shotgun), Improved Aim, Quick Draw, Seize Initiative, Skill Mastery (Vehicles)

Skills
Acrobatics 8 (13), Athletics 4 (11), Perception 4 (9), Persuasion 4 (6), Vehicles 14 (17), Technology 4 (9)

Offense
Initiative +5
Unarmed 5, Damage 7
Shotgun 5, Damage 5

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 5, Toughness 11, Will 5
Fortitude Immunity

Power Points
Abilities 54 + Powers 67 + Advantages 8 + Skills 19 + Defenses 2 = Total 150

Complications
Hot Rod Bod • Carbot looks like a rusty old terminator with the head of a young Harrison Ford. He sort of sticks out and inspires fear.
Criminal Past • Carbot was created to be an escape car driver. He is well versed in bank robbery.
You can run... • The criminal gang which created him has not been able to duplicate their efforts, making Carbot one hot commodity.

Design Journal
:arrow: This fine mechanical fellow came to me after reading and responding to this thread. I thought it would be awesome to make a robot who was created to be a getaway driver and conman, but realized the error of his ways after an encounter with a superhero scrambled his circuits.
:arrow: I was thinking on the way home, "OK we've got a speeding car that out of control. Its barreling towards a train crossing! Oh no its the 5 o'clock! Its on time! How does this robot save the people inside?" Well he'd probably jump onto the car, take control of it with his powers, roll it over at the last minute to pop it into the air, then grab the edge of the train and flip himself and the car safely onto the other side.
So I went home and built that guy.
Last edited by Twitch on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:26 am, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Roll Call”