J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Invictus
Zealot
Zealot

Re: J-Mart: Exodus, Vulcan, Hit-Monkey, Rocket Raccoon

Postby Invictus » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:20 am

I've been reading the Showcase reprint of All-Star Squadron ... and I'm loving it. And I love Batgirl's Miller quote. Check out Green Lantern lately. It's been nothing but politics within and between the multi-colored corps themselves and leftover menaces that have their origins in corps history, meaning that the only reason the menace exists is because the corps does.

And Earth-Two Ken, there was a poster on the old DC boards (before they got rid of them) with that name that I liked and pretty much always agreed with, I'm assuming that's you. Nice to see ya again!

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:53 pm

The old All-Star Squadron stuff was genuinely quite good. I haven't read all of it yet, but the issues I have read were pretty much the kind of superhero comics that prove to me three things. First that the Crisis should never have happened, second that the type of comic being written there is really kind of a lost art over the past few decades in between crises and reboots and crossovers and civil wars and angst, and third that certain comics writers suck when it comes to acronyms.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Narsil wrote:First that the Crisis should never have happened

There was nothing wrong with the original crisis. It cleaned up all the crazy nonsense that made ongoing conisistent story telling almost impossible, but it didn't stop great books like All-Star Squadron from coming out. In fact such books were fitted in, almost wholesale into the new universe. Heck look at Inifinity Inc: A team book that could not work in the new universe, just kept on plodding on, even after the crisis, doing its own thing.

Crisis over NU, at least with crisis its possible to go back an re-read the pre-crisis stuff & still see those same characters, without a serious case of cognitive dissonance. Superman is still Superman, Batman is still Batman... Captain Carrot is still not a gun totting, hard drinking misanthrope... Unlike now.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Batgirl III wrote:Hit Monkey... Rocket Raccoon... It's Antropomorphic Marvel Week at J-Mart?

RANDAL! I need a full-pallet of Peter Porker: Spider-Ham. All the trimmings: Peter Porker, Mary Jane Waterbuffalo, Kay-Mar the Sub-Merchandizer, Captain Americat, Iron Mouse. The whole menagarie. Oh, and what the heck, toss in a box of Howard the Duck too... you can have `em delivered to the `Cave.

What do you think, boss?

I think we can make that happen, Randal. Well, at least the Spider-Ham. I've saving Howard for a landmark build, like 700-800 or something.

Cool, we need to get cracking, we've only one more day before I go on Christmas Break.

Randal, this ain't high school, this a real job. You don't GET Christmas Break.

Once again...pictures...And I believe I was able to get my hands on a certain video that would look great posted on your wife's Facebook account...

See you in the New Year, my most favoritest employee! Dante, get to stocking the shelves while I get to work on that order! You're going to have to pull some double shifts during the holiday rush!

God, I'm not even supposed to BE HERE today...!
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Postby Gazman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Niiice. I'd much rather see some J-Mart quality funny animals than read more of the gloomy Gus brigade hitting up the complaints department.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:02 pm

We're going to continue in our Cosmic Thorpacoverse vein for a while with this new item for Aisle 2 that's a companion piece to our most recently stocked item!

I am Groot. - Groot

GROOT
PL: 12 (180 pts) - OPL: 12 ; DPL: 12

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 12 [16], STAMINA 11 [13], AGILITY 0, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT 5, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Athletics (+12), Expertise [Space Botany] 10 (+15), Expertise [Science] 8 (+13), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidation 5 (+5), Perception 3 (+5), Technology 5 (+10)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Diehard, Fast Grab, Favored Environment (Forested Areas), Improved Grab, Trance

POWERS:
Green Thumb: Feature 1 (You have a potent “green thumb,” allowing you to grow small (size rank –4 or less) plants from seeds to full maturity in a matter of seconds, a limited version of the Plant Growth power); 1 pt
Horticulture: Feature 1 (You can identify different plant species and their properties simply by looking at or touching them); 1 pt
Groot Size: Growth 8 (+8 Str, +8 Sta, -4 Dodge/Parry, -8 Stealth, +4 Intimidation, Speed +1, +8 Mass, Reach 2 [10 ft]; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 17 pts
Speak With Plants: Comprehend 2 (Speak, Understand Plants); 4 pts
Photosynthesis: Immunity 3 (Sleep, Starvation, Suffocation); 3 pts
Barkskin: Protection 2, Impervious 5, Immunity 5 (Fire Effects); 17 pts
Regrowth: Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds), Immortality 1 (1 Month); 4 pts
Plant Control: 20 pt Array; 22 pts
Control Plants: Perception Ranged Cumulative Affliction (Resisted and Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled, Extra: Subtle Flaw: Limited to Plants); 20 pts
Animate Plants: Summon Animated Plant 5 (Extra: Controlled, General Type [Plants]); 1 pt
Plant Growth: Create 10 (Plants; Extra: Permanent); 1 pt

Massive Growth: Growth 8 (Stacks with Innate Growth up to 16 ranks, Total Adjustments: +16 Str, +16 Sta, -8 Dodge/Parry, -16 Stealth, +8 Intimidation, Speed +2, +16 Mass, Reach 4 [20 ft]), Flaw: Limited [Strength +4, Fortitude +2]), Burst Area Bludgeoning Damage 12 (Extra: Burst Area [30 ft radius], Flaw: Limited to only when total Growth ranks are 12 or higher); 20 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Close Attack +8 [Unarmed +12; Full Growth Unarmed +16]
Ranged Attack +1
Special Attack [Giant Swipe +12, Burst Area; Plant Control Affliction +10, Perception]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +5 (+1 at Full Growth) [DC15/11] Parry +8 (+4 at Full Growth) [DC18/14]
Toughness +13 (+5 Impervious, +15 at Full Growth), Fortitude +13 (+15 at Full Growth), Will +9

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: Groot can only say "I AM GROOT!" because of the stiffness of his larynx. However, many perceptive or highly intelligent beings like Mantis, Rocket and Maximus the Mad know that those words have multiple meanings and can understand exactly what Groot is trying to convey.
Relationships: He is close to Rocket Raccoon.
Responsibility: To protect the universe as a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy.
Vulnerable: Herbicides.

Abilities 46 + Skills 17 (34 ranks) + Advantages 6 + Powers 89 + Defenses 22 = 180 / 180

Build Comments: I am Groot.

Secret Origins: I am Groot.

The Story so Far: I am Groot.

Characterization: I am Groot.

Friends and Foes: I am Groot.

I think that pretty much says it all. 8)
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:13 pm

For BUILD #666, there was really only one option for me. We've got a HELLUVA SPECIAL hitting the Aisle 2 shelves!

Splendid...If the Ghost Rider is here, then we must officially have a supernatural cluster#@*$ on our hands. You didn't happen to see the Anti-Christ run by here, did you? - Daimon Hellstrom

THE SON OF SATAN (DAIMON HELLSTORM)
PL: 15 (258 pts) - OPL: 15 ; DPL: 15

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 4, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 4

SKILLS: Athletics 3 (+7), Deception 6 (+10), Expertise [Magic] 10 (+13) [Artificer, Ritualist], Expertise [Theology and Philosophy] 5 (+8), Insight 6 (+10), Intimidation 3 (+7), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion (+4), Ranged Combat [Soulfire Array] 6 (+10), Stealth 3 (+6)

ADVANTAGES: Artificer, Benefit (6) (Status – Ruler of Hell), Close Attack (3), Defensive Roll (2), Diehard, Favored Foe (Hell-Lords), Favored Foe (Demons), Improved Critical (1) (Trident), Improved Initiative (1), Ritualist, Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Supernatural Awareness: Senses 5 (Supernatural Awareness [Mental, Ranged, Extended 2, Acute]); 5 pts
Soulfire Array: 20 pt Array; 23 pts
Hellfire Blast: Ranged Damage 10; 20 pts
Soulfire: Soul Ranged Damage 10 (Extra: Alternate Resistance [Will]); 1 pt
Demonic Forms: Morph 2 (Demonic Forms); 1 pt
Go to Hell: Movement 2 (Dimensional Movement 2 [Earth/Hell], Extra: Affects Other, Portal); 1 pt

Netharanium Trident: 15 pts traits, Easily Removable (-6 pts); 9 pts
Trident Array: 12 pt Array; 15 pts
Hellfire Flight: Flight 6 (120 mph); 12 pts
Hellfire Boost: Enhanced Ranged Damage 2; 1 pt
Soulfire Boost: Enhanced Sould Ranged Damage 2; 1 pt
Trident Strike: Piercing Strength-based Damage 3; 1 pt

Black Halo of Satanic Regency: Variable 15 (Powers and traits of the Mystical Descriptor, Flaw: Limited to when in Hell); 90 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +7
Close Attack +11 [Unarmed +4; Trident Strike +7, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +4
Soulfire Array +10 [Soulfire Blast +10; Trident Enhanced Soulfire Blast +12; Hellfire Blast +10; Trident Enhanced Hellfire Blast +12]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +10 [DC20] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +12

COMPLICATIONS:
Dark Side: Every now and then, Daimon's dark side comes out and it ain't pretty
Enemy: His father, Satan himself, and the Hell-Lords
Motivation: He is driven to keep the Hell-Lords in check and foil his father's continual plans to take over the world
Relationships: His ex-wife Patsy Walker, Hellcat

Abilities 68 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Advantages 19 + Powers 127 + Defenses 21 = 258 / 258

Comments: Daimon Hellstrom, the Son of Satan, also known as Hellstorm, has been around the Marvel U for a long time. He was kind of a sucky character at first, showing up in some Marvel mystic stuff, and then being part of the Defenders for a while. He kinda went into limbo until he got a short series where he went from looking like a more satanic Hank Pym to a Rob Zombie-lookin', lyin’, scheming, Ruler of Hell.

Recently he’s shown up a lot in New Avengers, assisting Doctor Strange has gone through his struggles with being, losing, and apparently re-acquiring his Sorcerer Supreme title. He’s been OK as a side character over the past 40 years or so, and that’s about it. And for some characters, that’s good enough.
Shop J-Mart!

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart: Hit-Monkey, Rocket, Groot, BUILD #666 Son of Sat

Postby Horsenhero » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:19 pm

And as Hellstrom famously says to his trio of hell horses that pull his chariot:

"Hecate, Set, Amon...not on the carpet! Now where did Patsy put the Resolve, and where's the muckin' fork." :mrgreen:

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

667, 668, 669

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:04 am

We're going back out into the vastness of the Cosmic Thorpacoverse with this 3 FOR 1 SPECIAL for Aisle 2!

He would look cooler if he didn't always look like he was heading for the Westminster Dog Show from Hell.

RAVENOUS
PL: 14 (248 pts) - OPL: 14 ; DPL: 14

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 16, STAMINA 14, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 2 [6], PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+18), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+10), Deception (+3), Expertise [Negative Zone] 6 (+7), Insight (+6), Intimidation 10 (+13) [Startle], Perception 3 (+9), Persuasion (+3), Ranged Combat [Cosmic Energy Control] 4 (+10), Stealth (+2), Technology 4 (+5), Vehicles 5 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Benefit (2) (Status – Leader of The Seekers), Chokehold, Equipment (4), Improved Initiative (1), Minions (11) (5 Currs), Power Attack, Ranged Attack (4), Startle, Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Opposing Force Awareness: Comprehend Languages 3 (Speak, Understand, Understood in all languages), Enhanced Awareness 4; 14 pts
Opposing Force Enhancements: Protection 4, Impervious Toughness 8, Immunity 12 (Aging, Life Support, Sleep); 32 pts
Opposing Force: 41 pt Array; 42 pts
Opposing Force Blast: Ranged Cosmic Energy Damage 18 (Extra: Extended Range 5 [800/1600/3200]); 41 pts
Opposing Force Burst: Burst Area Cosmic Energy Damage 13 (Extra: Burst Area x2 [60 ft radius]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(20 pts)
Vehicle: (20 pts)
Personal Space Transport: Size - L, Strength - 6, Speed - 11, Def - 4, Tough - 10; 18 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +8
Unarmed +10 [Unarmed +16]
Ranged Attack +6
Cosmic Energy Control +10 [Opposing Force Blast +18]
Special Attack [Opposing Force Burst +13, Burst Area ]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +9 [DC19] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +18 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +15, Will +13

COMPLICATIONS:
Power Loss: When his Currs are incapacitated or somehow separated from him, he loses his ability to channel the Opposing Force, taking away his powers and dropping his stats to STR 13, STA 12
Responsibility: To Lord Annihilus

Abilities 96 + Skills 18 (36 ranks) + Advantages 27 + Powers 90 + Defenses 17 = 248 / 248

Comments: Ravenous was a new character created for Annihilation. He was essentially Annihilus’ Herald, imbued with the Opposing Force, similar to the Power Cosmic, that made him close to the equal of most of Galactus’ heralds (and probably better than Red Shift). A lot of his build is conjecture, but since he fought The Surfer pretty well and Ronan had to burn some HP to finally take him out PL14 felt right.

He actually hung around the Cosmic Marvel scene for a good while after Annihilation, taking over part of Kree space while he awaited the return of Annihilus and continuing to piss off Ronan. He finally got taken down in War of King, but I’m not sure where he is now.

Below are his Currs, big, dog like things that were tethered to him and allowed him to channel the Opposing Force. If they are taken out, he loses his connection, but considering they come back in about 30 minutes, he can usually figure out a way to bide his time until he come back for more.

He’s also sometimes joined by The Seekers, a bunch of dudes from his home planet that look exactly like him, except not as colorful or big. But they are pretty powerful mooks and they didn’t have that much trouble taking out Terrax in a horde, so PL10 seemed OK for them.

Secret Origins: Little is known of his past. All that is known is that he was a powerful warrior from the Negative Zone that Annihilus chose to weird his Opposing Force to combat the Heralds of Galactus. It is rumored he gained his name by consuming the flesh of one of his defeated foes.

The Story so Far: Ravenous first appeared as part of the Annihilation Wave led by Annihilus as the leader of the Seekers, beings whose sole purpose was to seek out those who possessed the Power Cosmic such as the Heralds of Galactus and capture them. Ravenous first appeared attempting to capture the Air-Walker, but rejected him upon discovering he was an android. He battled the Silver Surfer several times in attempts to capture him, but was each time defeated. He battled along side the Annihilation Wave for the remainder of the war.

Following the end of it he became the default leader of what was left of the Annihilation Wave forces. As part of the treaty ending hostilities the entire Annihilation Wave was ceded a number of territories formely belonging to the Kree among them the Kree throneworld of Hala where Ravenous oversaw the birth of a new Annihilus.

Shortly afterwards the Phalanx launched an invasion of the Kree galaxy under the command of Ultron. Ronan the Accuser and others came to Hala looking for a way to stop the Phalanx invasion. They tricked their way into the Kree throne room where they easily overpowered Ravenous and Ronan activated thousands of Kree Sentries hidden under the palace. At the request of Ravenous, Ronan used them to destroy the attacking Phalanx before sending them to liberate Kree space.

During the War of Kings, Ravenous was taken into custody by the newly formed Nova Corps, but was liberated by Annihilus and his new Annihilation Wave where he has taken his station at Annihilus’ side once again.

Characterization: Ravenous is a cunning and ruthless combatant. He is also completely loyal to Annihilus.

Friends and Foes: He is honor-bound to serve Annihilus. He also wants a rematch with Ronan to avenge his earlier defeat.

RAVENOUS' CURRS
PL: 8 (135 pts) - OPL: 8 ; DPL: 8

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 8, STAMINA 8, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT -3, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE -2

SKILLS: Athletics (+8), Deception (-2), Expertise [Survival] 8 (+5), Insight (+2), Intimidation 10 (+8), Perception 8 (+10), Persuasion (-2), Stealth 4 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Move-by Action

POWERS:
Cosmic Trackers: Senses 16 (Detect Energy [Mental, Ranged 12, Acute, Analytical, Tracking); 16 pts
Tough Hide: Protection 1, Impervious 4, Immunity 11 (Life Support, Sleep); 20 pts
Feral Movement: Speed 2 (8 mph/120 fpr), Leaping 1 (15 ft); 3 pts
Bite: Piercing Strength-based Damage 2, Enhanced Advantages 1 (Improved Critical); 3 pts
Currs Come Back: Immortality 11 (1/every 30 minutes); 22 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +3
Close Attack +6 [Unarmed +8; Bite +10, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +0

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7 [DC17] Parry +7 [DC17]
Toughness +9 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: Currs cannot speak or use their paws to easily manipulate objects

Abilities 44 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Advantages 3 + Powers 64 + Defenses 9 = 135 / 135

Comments: The Currs, used by Ravenous and The Seekers.

See how Terrax's arms are up. I don't think he hit any of them, I think he just dropped most of them with his pit stank.

RAVENOUS' SEEKERS
PL: 10 (176 pts) - OPL: 10 ; DPL: 10

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 12, STAMINA 10, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 1 [3], PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+14), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+8), Expertise [Negative Zone] 4 (+4), Insight (+3), Intimidation 8 (+8), Perception 1 (+4), Ranged Combat [Cosmic Energy Control] 2 (+7), Stealth (+2), Technology 4 (+4), Vehicles 3 (+5)

ADVANTAGES: Equipment (4), Minions (11) (4 Currs), Ranged Attack (3)

POWERS:
Opposing Force Awareness: Comprehend Languages 3 (Speak, Understand, Understood in all languages), Enhanced Awareness 2; 10 pts
Opposing Force Enhancements: Protection 2, Impervious Toughness 5, Immunity 12 (Aging, Life Support, Sleep); 24 pts
Opposing Force: 29 pt Array; 30 pts
Opposing Force Blast: Ranged Cosmic Energy Damage 13 (Extra: Extended Range 3 [200/400/800]); 29 pts
Opposing Force Burst: Burst Area Cosmic Energy Damage 10 (Extra: Burst Area [30 ft radius]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(20 pts)
Vehicle: (20 pts)
Personal Space Transport: Size - L, Strength - 6, Speed - 11, Def - 4, Tough - 10; 18 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +6
Unarmed +8 [Unarmed +12]
Ranged Attack +5 Cosmic Energy Control +7 [Opposing Force Blast +13]
Special Attack [Opposing Force Burst +10, Area Burst]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +8 [DC18] Parry +8 [DC18]
Toughness +12 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +8

COMPLICATIONS:
Power Loss: When his Currs are incapacitated or somehow separated from them or incapacitated, he loses his ability to channel the Opposing Force, , taking away their powers and dropping their stats to STR 8, STA 8
Responsibility: To Lord Annihilus

Abilities 66 + Skills 13 (26 ranks) + Advantages 18 + Powers 64 + Defenses 15 = 176 / 176

Comments: The Seekers.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:12 pm

We're going to continue our Cosmic Thorpacoverse additions with this J-Mart Favorite item for Aisle 2!

I suppose I could stab it. Would stabbing it help? - Drax

DRAX THE DESTROYER
PL: 12 [15] (199 pts) - OPL: 12 [15] ; DPL: 12 [15]

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 8 [10], STAMINA 10, AGILITY 5, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 12, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Acrobatics 2 (+7), Athletics 7 (+15), Deception 5 (+5), Expertise [Survival] 8 (+9), Insight 6 (+8) [Combat Clarity], Intimidation 12 (+12) [Startle], Perception 5 (+7), Stealth 5 (+10), Technology 5 (+6), Vehicles 5 (+9)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Benefit (1) (Ambidexterity), Close Attack (2), Combat Clarity* (1), Defensive Roll (2), Diehard, Favored Foe (Thanos), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (1), Improved Initiative (1), Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack (7), Startle, Takedown (2)

POWERS:
Enhanced Physique: Speed 1 (4 mph/60 fpr), Leaping 1 (15 ft), Immunity 5 (Cold, Heat, Sleep, Vacuum, Starvation/Thirst), Senses 2 (Normal Vision [Extended], Scent [Acute]); 9 pts
Healing Factor: Regeneration 5 (1/every other round); 5 pts
Destroying Knives: 12 pts traits, Easily Removable (-4 pts); 8 pts
Knife Strike: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 2 (Extra: Breaking, Dangerous, Penetrating 7); 12 pts
Created to Kill Thanos: Senses 5 (Detect Thanos [Mental, Ranged, Acute, Extended 3]), Enhanced Dodge 3 (Flaw: Limited [against Thanos only]), Enhanced Parry 3 (Flaw: Limited [against Thanos only]), Enhanced Will 2 (Flaw: Limited [against Thanos only]), Enhanced Fortitude 2 (Flaw: Limited [against Thanos only]), Protection 3 (Flaw: Limited [against Thanos only]), Enhanced Strength 6 (Extra: Penetrating 10, Flaw: Limited [against Thanos only]), Enhanced Advantages 6 (Favored Environment [Proximity to Thanos], Improved Critical 2 [Unarmed], Improved Critical 2 [Short Blades], Last Stand*, Flaw: Limited [against Thanos only]); 22 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +9
Close Attack +14 [Unarmed +8; Knives +10, Critical 18-20; Unarmed Against Thanos +14, Critical 18-20; Knives Against Thanos +16, Critical 16-20]
Ranged Attack +11

DEFENSES:
Dodge +12 (+15 against Thanos) [DC22/25] Parry +12 (+15 against Thanos) [DC22/25]
Toughness +12 (+10 without Defensive Roll, +15 against Thanos), Fortitude +12 (+14 against Thanos), Will +10 (+12 against Thanos)

COMPLICATIONS:
Obsession: He was created to kill Thanos and he will always make that his Number 1 priority, whether he really wants to or not.
Relationships: Despite their complicated relationship, he seems to love his daughter, Moondragon and for some reason, he has gotten close to Cammi.

Abilities 84 + Skills 30 (60 ranks) + Advantages 24 + Powers 44 + Defenses 17 = 199 / 199

Build Comments: Drax has been through many incarnations, but it’s pretty obvious that his best form was his recent incarnation in a Kratos, um, “inspired”, body with kick-ass melee skills and flaying knives. He was also quite good in Annihilation and Guardians of the Galaxy event, being a fine source of deadpan humor. Though he’s dead for now, I’m sure he will be back to try and end Thanos in the near future.

Secret Origins: Real estate agent Arthur Douglas, his wife Yvette, and daughter Heather, were driving across the Mojave Desert from Las Vegas to Los Angeles when a spaceship carrying the mad Titan named Thanos passed overhead on a surveillance mission to Earth. Wishing to keep his existence a secret, Thanos destroyed the automobile in case its passengers had seen his ship, and then landed to make certain they were dead. Satisfied that they were, Thanos left. Unknown to the Titan, his father Mentor had been monitoring his activities on Earth to examine his son's latest handiwork. Mentor discovered that Heather Douglas was still alive, and took her back to Titan to be raised. She later returned to Earth as Moondragon.

Mentor determined that the threat of his son Thanos could no longer be ignored and wanted to create a being of sufficient power to defeat Thanos. Enlisting the aid of his father Chronos, who millennia before had become a discorporate wraith, Mentor had Chronos seize the astral form of Arthur Douglas before it had completely fled from Douglas's body. Chronos and Mentor then fashioned a humanoid body from the Earth's soil, granted it superhuman powers, and cast Douglas' spirit inside it. Thus they created the being who would become known as Drax the Destroyer.

The Story so Far: Mentor blocked all of Drax's memories of his old life, instilling in him monomaniacal hate for Thanos. For years, Drax served as Thanos' nemesis, thwarting several of the Mad Titan’s plans, but never crushing Thanos himself. Thanos hired legions of alien mercenaries just to keep Drax away from him. Finally, in Thanos' campaign to possess the Cosmic Cube, Drax, in the company of the Avengers, Captain Mar Vell, and Moondragon, saw Thanos destroyed. Suddenly lacking a reason for existence, Drax wandered space in grim contemplation. By the time he learned that Thanos had managed to rematerialize himself, Thanos had once again been killed, this time by being permanently turned to stone. Drax, purposeless again, used Captain Mar-Vell as a scapegoat upon whom to vent his frustrations.

Sometime later, Drax was contacted by his daughter Moondragon and invited to join her in her journey through space in search of knowledge. Drax accepted. The two rode aboard Moondragon's personal starship Sensia, and came upon the planet Ba Banis, a world of humanoid aliens caught in a vast civil war. Moondragon decided to use her mental powers to quell the conflict and then decided to set herself up as the world's goddess. Drax recognized that her ambitions were ignoble and so sent their ship to Earth with a holographic distress message. The Avengers responded and discovered Moondragon's world of mentally enforced tranquility. Freed by the Avengers from his daughter's mental domination, Drax advanced toward her, seeking to end her menace. In order to stop him, Moondragon mentally forced Drax's life essence to vacate his artificial body. Later, after subduing Moondragon and returning to Earth, the Avengers placed Drax's body inside Sensia and sent it into space programmed to self-destruct. Without Drax's spirit inside it, Drax's body was destroyed when the Sensia exploded.

Several years later, when Thanos was resurrected by Mistress Death, Chronos chose to re-animate the Destroyer as well to again combat his mad grandson, and granted him with even greater physical power. However, Titan's God did not take the means of Drax's death into account, and the Destroyer's mind retained the damage done by Moondragon. Despite this setback, following Thanos' defeat and the subsequent breakup of the Infinity Gauntlet, Drax was chosen by Adam Warlock to safeguard the Power Gem as part of the Infinity Watch. Eventually, due to internal strife, the Watch fragmented and went their separate ways. Afterwards, Drax returned to Titan with Moondragon, who would successfully petition Kronos to restore Drax's mind to its former acuity, at the cost of some physical power. Thus, Drax was restored to his original condition.

Since then, Drax's condition began to revert. His mass and strength climbed back to previous levels, and his mind became clouded once more. Finally, he sought out Moondragon, which led to an altercation with Genis-Vell, son of Mar-Vell and the new Captain Marvel. In the course of this struggle, Drax was transported to the microverse with Genis, where he finally found acceptance and happiness on the planet K'ai, where he remained for some time.

Drax was later seen on a prison ship with Paibok, Lunatik, and the Blood Brothers. He is accused of murdering 200,000 Skrulls. They are to have been transported to an intergalactic prison, but the ship crashes on Earth under mysterious circumstances. Drax attacks the others to keep them from harming innocent lives. His intelligence comes back to him at random intervals during his fight with the other prisoners. While on Earth, and at a low-point of intelligence, he wanders through Alaska and confuses a young girl named Cammi for his daughter. As he slowly wanders through the country side, he encounters Paibok yet again. Paibok ruthlessly murders him, yet Drax emerges with a new body with a higher intelligence and possibly other unknown abilities. This "new" Drax kills Lunatik and one of the Blood Brothers. The mini-series ends with Drax and Cammi back on a prison ship.

Surviving Annihilus' attack on the intergalactic prison known as the Kyln, Drax and Cammi team up with the last member of the Xandarian Nova Corps, Richard Rider (Nova). Together they fight against the advancing Annihilation Wave. Drax teaches Nova the power of concentration so that he may contain the entire Nova force. Moreover, Nova asks Drax to teach him an important lesson: How to destroy.

During a doomed battle between the Annihilation Wave and the United Front on Daedalus 5, Drax stays behind to fight off the invaders while Nova and the rest of the group (including Cammi) finish the evacuation. Drax fights his way to one of the Annihilation Wave's ships in his quest for Thanos. He finds the Titan attempting to release Galactus from his prison on Annihilus' mother ship. Before Thanos can release Galactus using his unique energy signature, Drax breaks through Thanos' defensive shield and punches a hole through the Titan's chest. Drax then realizes that they could "trick" the security system into shutting off by using the Silver Surfer, which succeeds. Once Galactus is freed, he teleports Moondragon and Drax to a far-off planet to spare them from his wrath on the Annihilation Wave. Afterwards, Moondragon says Drax just "disappeared", with it heavily implied she was covering for him so that he could look for Cammi.

After the events of the Annihilation war, the Kree empire was invaded and cut off from the rest of the universe by the Phalanx, led by Ultron. Drax was hunted down and captured by former allies Gamora and Richard Rider (Nova), who were assimilated into the Phalanx by the transmode virus. Drax was likewise infected with the same virus and was dispatched to hunt down Nova, along with Gamora, after Rider regained control of his mind thanks to the Nova force inside him. The pair tracked Nova all the way back to the Phalanx's home world of Kvch where they are all cured of the virus by the Technarch mutant Warlock and his ward Tyro.

Armed with the knowledge of how to beat the Phalanx and cure the virus, Nova, Gamora, Drax, Warlock, and Tyro breach the barrier surrounding the Kree empire and assist a recently resurrected Adam Warlock and the new Quasar (Phyla-Vell) in destroying Ultron. Drax now is a member of the newly formed Guardians of the Galaxy team, led by Star-Lord (Peter Quill) and serves alongside such characters as Phyla-Vell, Adam Warlock, Rocket Raccoon, and Gamora. He is one of the teams more grim and solitary figures, but is a force of destruction which has bailed them out of many predicaments in the team’s first few missions.

Drax with Quasar were looking for Cammi when they learned that Heather was alive. Then, they went to Mentor for help, but Mentor tried to kill them then sent them to Oblivion. There they met Maelstrom who brought them to the Dragon of the Moon. There, he betrayed them when he took control of Quantum Bands and fed Phyla-Vell to the Dragon. Shortly after, Wendell Vaughn arrives giving time to Drax to cut off Maelstrom's hands. After a victory against the Maelstrom and the Dragon they headed back to Titan with Moondragon.

After celebrating with the team, Drax was sent alongside Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Major Victory and Adam Warlock to Shi'ar Empire to find Emperor Vulcan and negotiate about the upcoming war with the Kree. In return, the Guardians will help them to free Lilandra. After, they returned and counter-attacked the imperial guard out of Knowhere.

Drax with the rest of the team was there went Peter Quill send a message through the time-space. After that Drax, Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Major Victory and Phyla-Vell were been teleported to Attilan. They were engaged with the Inhumans until a giant space squid emerged from The Fault and attacked the city. Drax went to defend the city from it until Adam Warlock came to stop The Fault and ends up becoming Magus and ruler of the Universal Church of Truth. The Guardians engage a long battle against this organization that ended with the resurrection of Thanos.

Drax wanted to kill Thanos even though the Guardians were collaborating with him in order to stop the Cancerverse's invation. After a failed attempt to kill Thanos, Drax is murdered by the Mad Titan. Inexplicably, Drax was revealed to be alive and back in the Guardians.

Characterization: Drax is a vicious combatant and is obsessed with killing Thanos.

Friends and Foes: He is working to repair his relationship with his daughter, Moondragon and remains loyal to his Guardians teammates. He is driven to kill Thanos, seemingly at a level that even he cannot control.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:53 pm

We're going to stay out in the Cosmic Thorpacoverse for a few more builds. But the J-Mart staff was itching to kick off another session of our greatest tradition so we compromised. So set your space destroyer on cruise, kick back and enjoy this COSMIC LADIES' NIGHT!

I...didn't think it was possible to make Moondragon look this...good... :shock:

MOONDRAGON
PL: 12 (222 pts) - OPL: 12 ; DPL: 11

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 4, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 12, INTELLECT 5, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Acrobatics 7 (+11), Athletics 5 (+8), Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 (+16), Expertise [Cosmic Lore] 5 (+10), Expertise [Science] 5 (+10), Insight 9 (+13), Perception 4 (+8), Stealth 4 (+8), Technology 3 (+8), Vehicles 4 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Improved Critical (1) (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative (1), Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack (4), Takedown (1), Trance, Uncanny Dodge

POWERS:
Psionic Mastery: 74 pt Dynamic Array; 90 pts
Mass Mind Control: Burst Area Cumulative Affliction 6 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled, Extra: Area Burst 10 [2 Miles] Dynamic, Selective, Subtle); 74 pts
Mind Control: Perception Ranged Cumulative Affliction 12 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled, Extra: Dynamic, Subtle); 2 pts
Telepathy: Mind Reading 12, Communication 3 (Mental, Statewide/Small Nation, Extra: Dynamic); 2 pts
Mental Blast: Psychic Perception Ranged Damage 12 (Extra: Alternate Resistance [Will], Dynamic, Subtle); 2 pts
Mental Invisibility: Concealment 10 (All Senses; Extra: Dynamic, Flaw: Limited to Minds, Resistible [Will, DC20]); 2 pts
Hallucinations: Illusion 12 (All Senses, Extra: Dynamic, Selective, Flaw: Limited [one subject], Resistible [Will]); 2 pts
Psionic Burst: Burst Area Mental Damage 12 (Extra: Area Burst [30 ft radius], Alternate Resistance [Will], Dynamic); 2 pts
Telekinesis: Perception Range Move Object 6 (Extra: Dynamic, Perception Range); 2 pts
Telekinetic Force Field: Burst Area Protection 4 (Extra: Affects Others, Area Burst [30 ft], Dynamic, Flaw: Sustained), Burst Area Impervious 4 (Extra: Affects Others, Area Burst [30 ft radius], Dynamic, Flaw: Sustained); 2 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +8
Close Attack +12
Unarmed +16 [Unarmed +3, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +7
Special Attack [Mental Blast +12, Perception; Psionic Burst +12, Burst Area; Mind Control Affliction +12, Perception; Mass Mind Control Affliction +6, Burst Area; Telekinesis +6 Perception]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +12 [DC22] Parry +12 [DC22]
Toughness +6 (+4 without Defensive Roll, +10 with Force Field, +4 Impervious with Force Field), Fortitude +7, Will +15

COMPLICATIONS:
Bitch: Heather has been, is, and will be quite the bitch when she wants to be. Which is most of the time…
Daddy Issues: She has a complicated relationship with her father, Arthur Douglas, better known as Drax the Destroyer.
Enemy: The Dragon of the Moon.
Power Loss: Heather's mental powers require concentration to use, so if she has her senses disabled she can lose her powers.
Relationships: She is currently in a relationship with Phyla-Vell.

Abilities 70 + Skills 25 (50 ranks) + Advantages 15 + Powers 90 + Defenses 22 = 222 / 222

Build Comments: I figured for once, I should have Arthur and Heather close...

Never really liked Moondragon, but she’s been OK in the latest Cosmic Marvel revival. Initially when I read her in Avengers and such in the 70’s, she was an psionic “with more power than Charles Xavier!”, a master martial artist who defeated Cap fairly easily, and a total bitch. Lately, she’s just been kinda crabby and her power levels are more in line with the with rest of the Guardians. So PL12 felt right. I almost made her a PL15 telepath and PL12 martial artist just to piss Jab off, but I resisted. :wink:

Secret Origins: Heather Douglas was the daughter of Arthur Douglas, whose reanimated corpse was made into Drax the Destroyer. When Heather was still a girl, her father was driving her and her mother through the desert when they accidentally happened to see the spaceship of Thanos land; the space villain didn't want any witnesses, so he blew their car up. Heather was thrown clear off and survived, but her parents were killed. She was found by Thanos' father, Mentor, who took her to his home world, Titan, to be raised. While there, Heather studied the Titans' ways and gained her mental and physical powers. However, she came under the influence of a powerful entity called The Dragon of the Moon; she believed she had resisted it, which filled her with pride, and she took the name Moondragon as a result.

The Story so Far: She first returned to Earth under the guise of "Madam MacEvil" for the purpose of developing means to combat Thanos; this led to the creation of some villains, like Angar the Screamer. She then revealed her true identity and helped the Avengers in their first confrontation with Thanos. She met the heroine Hellcat and took her to Titan so she could train her.

Moondragon was one of the three candidates to be the "Celestial Madonna" who was prophesied to give birth to a universal savior, but she lost to Mantis. She was present when the Avengers confronted Korvac; her powers allowed her to see into his mind while they fought, and she decided that his goal of saving the universe by ruling it was noble; she stayed out of the battle until Korvac, dejected, committed suicide.

Moondragon left Earth with her father (who was now Drax) and found a planet immersed in war, so she decided to take mental control of all its inhabitants to force them to live in peace. This caused her to believe herself to be like a goddess. When Drax confronted her, she killed him with her mental powers. The Avengers intervened, and Thor took her before a real god -- his father, Odin, to be judged. Odin perceived within Moondragon a stalwart but tainted spirit. He condemned her to wear a magical headband that would reduce her mental powers until she had overcome her arrogance. He also assigned The Valkyrie to be her guardian.

When Valkyrie rejoined the Defenders, Moondragon was forced to come along. She soon discovered that the Dragon of the Moon had been influencing her all along. She managed to reject it fully, and for the first time, started to gain friends in the team; eventually the headband came loose by itself. Unfortunately, soon after she was infected with mutated spores and started to die; the Dragon appeared again and told her it could save her life, but only if she agreed to be its host. She accepted, and, now an evil being, battled the Defenders, until four of them sacrificed themselves to kill both her and the Dragon.

Heather's soul managed to survive, and, now free from the Dragon again, contacted a cousin of hers; through her, she was able to obtain a new body for herself, a clone created on Titan. For a while, she and her cousin, who became the heroine Sundragon, adventured together in space.

After Quasar was appointed Protector of the Universe, Moondragon insinuated herself into his life. She was convinced that in time, Quasar would realize they were eminently qualified to be the universe's most cosmic coupling. Quasar, however, asserted that qualifications have nothing to do with feelings and rebuffed her. She eventually got the message and lost interest in him.

When Adam Warlock sought people to help him safeguard the Infinity Gems, he chose Moondragon to keep the Mind Gem -- but only after erecting safeguards so Moondragon could not exploit the gem's full power. Still, she agreed to join his team, the Infinity Watch. She eventually lost the gem when it was stolen by Rune.

Moondragon later became an associate of Genis-Vell (the third Captain Marvel), determined to help him control his cosmic awareness. During this time, she fell in love with Marlo Chandler, the wife of Rick Jones (whom Captain Marvel was bonded to). The two eloped on a lesbian relationship (rare for a mainstream comic book, especially with two established characters) to the reluctant understanding of Rick. Sometime later, Marlo got over her feelings for Moondragon, and decided to return to Rick. Moondragon told her she must have accidentally prodded her telepathically into the relationship, but this was a lie to make the break-up easier. In truth, Moondragon was heartbroken; she left shortly after with Phyla-Vell.

During the Annihilation War, Moondragon and Phyla-Vell returned, visiting the graves of Mar-Vell and Genis-Vell. At that time though, Thanos appeared, and kidnapped Moondragon, using her as a hostage to draw out Drax the Destroyer for an unknown purpose. He also used her to read Annihilus' mind and upon learning that the Lord of the Negative Zone intended to use the captive Galactus to destroy all life in both their universe and the Negative Zone, chose to turn against Annihilus. But before Thanos could free Galactus, Drax arrived and killed Thanos by tearing out his heart. Thankfully, Drax was able to coerce the Silver Surfer into releasing his master. The Devourer of Worlds then teleported to safety as he destroyed a great portion of the Annihilation Wave.

Surviving the Annihilation Wave, Heather and Phyla (now Quasar) were traveling to assist the Kree outworlds when Phyla began receiving telepathic messages saying she had "the savior". The two took on the mission to find the savior to free the Kree Empire from the Phalanx. During the adventure, Heather transformed into the 'Dragon of the Moon'. Despite the fact that she would never be able to return to human form, Phyla remained by her lover's side. Their time together was ultimately short as the leader of the Phalanx, Ultron, killed her by plunging his arm into her chest. Heather died in Phyla's arms.

As before, Douglas was able to return to the living and returned to her human form. She joined the Guardians of the Galaxy and continued to adventure with them. Sadly, Phyla was killed by a resurrected Thanos, which caused Heather to lash out that him before Star-Lord subdued the Mad Titan with the Cosmic Cube. She left the team to search for Phyla, who she believes is not truly gone.

Characterization: Moondragon was initially quite arrogant and aloof but she has mellowed over time, much of them coming from Phyla’s influence. It should also be noted that she is not naturally bald, she just prefers to shave her head.

Friends and Foes: She has a complicated relationship with her father, Arthur Douglas, the being now known as Drax the Destroyer. She is currently in a loving relationship with Phyla-Vell, with even death not being able to keep them separated for long.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:58 pm

We've got another new item for Aisle 2 as we continue our COSMIC LADIES' NIGHT!

I am the chosen avatar of death. You want to learn about pain? I'll teach you! - Martyr

MARTYR (PHYLA VELL)
PL: 11 (157 pts) - OPL: 11 ; DPL: 10

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 7, STAMINA 5, AGILITY 4, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Acrobatics 3 (+7), Athletics 2 (+9), Expertise [Cosmic Lore] 6 (+7), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidation 7 (+7), Perception 3 (+5), Ranged Combat [Blast] 3 (+10), Stealth 3 (+7), Technology 4 (+5), Vehicles 2 (+5)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Close Attack (2), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (3), Equipment (1), Improved Critical (1) (Swords), Improved Initiative (1), Languages (1) (English, 1 other, Base: Kree), Power Attack, Ranged Attack (4), Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Cosmic Awareness: Senses 3 (Cosmic Awareness [Mental, Ranged, Extended]); 3 pts
Flight: Flight 7 (250 mph); 14 pts
Energy Sponge: Ranged Damage 10 (Extra: Variable Descriptor 2 [Any Energy used against her], Flaw: Fades); 12 pts
Martyr Sword: 12 pts traits, Easily Removable (-4 pts); 8 pts
Sword Strike: Slashing Strength-based Damage 3, Enhanced Advantage 1 (Improved Critical), (Extra: Penetrating 7, Reach [5 ft]); 12 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(5ep)
Guardians of the Galaxy Communicator: Senses 1 (Communication Link, Radio [Guardians of the Galaxy]), Comprehend 2 (Speak, Understand All Languages); 5ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +8
Close Attack +12 [Unarmed +7; Martyr Sword +10, Critical 18-20]
Ranged Attack +7
Energy Blast +10 [Energy Blasts +10]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +12 [DC22] Parry +12 [DC22]
Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS:
Legacy: She struggles to live up to the legacy of her father, the great Mar-Vell, and her brother, Genis-Vell
Mental Instability: Since accepting her role as Martyr, she has been even grumpier and darker than usual
Relationships: She loves Moondragon

Abilities 64 + Skills 18 (36 ranks) + Advantages 17 + Powers 37 + Defenses 21 = 157 / 157

Comments: I really didn’t know much about Phyla Vell prior to Annihilation and I really still don’t. So this is pretty much all Wiki fueled. I know she is Mar-Vell’s daughter who was Captain Marvel for a while, then she faded, then she showed in Annihilation and became the new Quasar, then she lost the Quantum Bands and is now Martyr, after making a deal to become the new Avatar of Oblivion. And now I think she’s dead, but hey, that won’t last.

I knew she was strong, had energy absorption abilities and now had a big ass sword as Martyr, so I threw all that in and called it good.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:09 pm

COSMIC LADIES' NIGHT keeps on rolling with this new item for Aisle 2!

A green-skinned hottie with antennae. Only one word for that.

GIGGITY.

MANTIS
PL: 10 (200 pts) - OPL: 10 ; DPL: 10

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 6, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 13, INTELLECT 4, AWARENESS 5, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Acrobatics 7 (+13) [Agile Feint], Athletics 2 (+5), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+15), Deception (+1), Expertise [Cosmic Lore] 4 (+8), Insight 8 (+13) [Assessment], Intimidation (+1), Perception 7 (+12), Persuasion 4 (+5), Stealth 3 (+9), Technology 4 (+8), Treatment 1 (+5)

ADVANTAGES: Agile Feint, Assessment, Benefit (2) (Status 2 – Celestial Madonna), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Critical (1) (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Luck (Edit Scene) (1), Move-by Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack (2), Takedown (1), Trance, Uncanny Dodge

POWERS:
Martial Arts Mastery: 16 pt Array; 17 pts
Stunning Strike: Cumulative Affliction 9 (Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Incapacitated, Flaw: Inaccurate 2); 16 pts
Martial Strike: Bludgeoning Strength-Based Damage 4 (Extra: Dangerous); 1 pt

Celestial Destiny: Senses 4 (Precognition), Immunity 1 (Aging); 5 pts
Aura Reading: Senses 3 (Detect Emotional and Physical State [Visual, Mental], Ranged); 4 pts
Mental Mastery Array: 32 pt Array; 35 pts
Telepathy: Mind Reading 10, Communication 3 (Mental; Statewide/Small Nation); 32 pts
Control Plants: Comprehend 2 (Speak, Understand Plant Life), Perception Ranged Cumulative Affliction 10 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled, Extra: Subtle, Flaw: Limited to Plants); 1 pt
Ignite: Perception Ranged Fire Damage 10; 1 pt
Astral Travel: Movement 3 (Space Travel 3 [Any star system], Dimensional Travel [Earth/Astral Plane]) 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +13 [Martial Arts Strike +7, Critical 19-20]
Unarmed +15 [Unarmed +3, Critical 19-20]
Stunning Strike +11 [Stunning Strike Affliction +9]
Ranged Attack +5
Special Attack [Ignite +10, Perception]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +14 [DC24] Parry +14 [DC24]
Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +12

COMPLICATIONS:
Fame: She is a Celestial Madonna, well known throughout the cosmos.
Responsibility: To Protect the universe as a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Abilities 82 + Skills 21 (42 ranks) + Advantages 18 + Powers 61 + Defenses 18 = 200 / 200

Build Comments: Mantis is an odd character, at least for me. I sort of thought she and Moondragon were the same character when I started reading Cosmic Marvel stuff again, but I quickly realized they weren't. Still, in their current incarnations, they are pretty close to the same thing. Both are telepaths that are master martial artists. Only difference is that Mantis is a Celestial Madonna, meaning she has precognition and I guess she can't get any, where as Moondragon can get busy with Phyla all she wants. :wink:

Apparently Mantis is good with pressure points, enough to where she even took Thor out with a nerve pinch, so I gave her a pretty decent Affliction, but Thor would have to roll pretty bad to fail it, so we'll assume that occurred, or maybe Mantis used some Extra Effort to pump it up.

Secret Origins: Mantis is the daughter of Gustav Brandt, Libra. While a child, her father left her with the alien Priests of Pama, a sect of the Kree who believed that she might become the Celestial Madonna.

She excelled in her martial arts studies, but when she reached adulthood, she was mindwiped and sent into the world to gain life experience. She became a prostitute in a Vietnamese bar, where she met the Swordsman. She helped him regain his self-respect, and followed him when the former villain attempted to rejoin the Avengers.

The Story so Far: There, she became taken with the Vision, and - though rejected by the android - neglected the Swordsman until his death at the hands of Kang the Conqueror, only proclaiming her love for him as he died. Shortly afterward, she was revealed to be, indeed, the Celestial Madonna and married a Cotati in the reanimated body of the Swordsman, leaving the Avengers to mate with him.

After she bore her child, Sequoia, she took the name "Mandy Celestine" and lived with him for a year in the suburbs of Connecticut before handing him to his father's people and going into space with the Silver Surfer. The two flirted with each other with Silver Surfer finding himself falling in love with Mantis. But was growing much more bitter with her life and the way she was forced to abandon her child. This came to a head when Mantis was caught in an explosion and was presumed dead by Silver Surfer. In truth, she had survived.

Mantis returned as the villainous bride of Kang the Conqueror with the intentions of bringing death to the Avengers, her father Libra (who by now was going by the name "Moonraker" as part of Force Works), and the Cotati alien who had possessed the Swordsman's body and married/impregnated her. Her anger at her father (whom she had vivisected) and the Cotati centered around their "defilement" of her and that she hated the Avengers for believing their manipulative lies. It turned out that this the Mantis was a Space Phantom brainwashed into thinking she was Mantis.

Eventually, Mantis returns to Earth and, she and a group of the Avengers went into space to stop "Thanos" from killing her son, who by this time was a rebellious teenager desperate to leave the isolation of the Coati homeworld and travel the stars. Mantis flirted with Vision (with it implied that she had sex with him) during the adventure but ultimately ended the flirting when she realized that Vision had feelings for his estranged wife Scarlet Witch, who was jealous of Mantis and Vision's friendship. She was one of many Avengers who opposed an insane Scarlet Witch before the team disbanded.

Mantis later went to space where she foresaw a vision about the Annihilation Wave. She let herself be imprisoned so she could wait for the arrival of Star-Lord Peter Quill and help him on his mission. She played a big role in waging guerrilla warfare against the Phalanx often saving Quill and their teammates from danger and even accepted that she would likely die in the process. She was severely injured by an Ultron-formed Phalanx, but barely survived and was carried to safety by Star-Lord and their remaining teammates Bug and Rocket Raccoon.

She eventually recovered from her injuries and agreed to help Quill in forming the Guardians of the Galaxy by psychically influencing Drax, Phyla-Vell, Gamora, and a newly resurrected Adam Warlock to join their struggling attempts to reestablish the galaxy's balance and order after the events of the Annihilation waves. Mantis recorded all of the team's actions and achievements and attempted to help a discovered, reality-displaced Vance Astro in his amnesia but has so far been unsuccessful in doing so. She and Astro were assaulted by a alternate-reality traveling Starhawk and were left with the mystery to why he attacked them in the first place. When the team was threatened by paranoia and superstition after discovering a potential infiltration by the Skrulls, Mantis opposed Star-Lord in their mental violations against their teammates. Although they managed to eventually incapacitate Starhawk, she and Quill were acquainted with new problems. Once their teammates discovered Mantis's and Star-Lord's actions against their minds, they left in opposition leaving the future operations of the Guardians of the Galaxy unknown.

At the conclusion of War of Kings, Magus killed several members of the Guardians of Galaxy, included Mantis. However, it was soon revealed that this was all a trick and that the Magus hadn't actually killed anyone. Rather, he kidnapped the supposedly dead Guardians in an elaborate escape plan. Mantis and her teammates were eventually rescued by the other Guardians of the Galaxy and joined them to fight the Cancerverse.

Characterization: Mantis can be cryptic and aloof but is a good teammate.

Friends and Foes: Her status as a Celestial Madonna has kept her from forging strong relationships but she seems to be close to her Guardians teammates.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shop J-Mart!

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: 673

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:Comments: Mantis is an odd character, at least for me. I sort of thought she and Moondragon were the same character when I started reading Cosmic Marvel stuff again, but I quickly realized they weren't. Still, in their current incarnations, they are pretty close to the same thing. Both are telepaths that are master martial artists. Only difference is that Mantis is a Celestial Madonna, meaning she has precognition and I guess she can't get any, where as Moondragon can get busy with Phyla all she wants. :wink:

Fun fact about Mantis: She's existed in multiple comic universes. After leaving Marvel Comics, writer Steve Englehart carried Mantis' tale through two other companies before returning to Marvel.

In DC Comics' Justice League of America #142, she appears as Willow. When asked where she came from, Willow answers; "This one has come from a place she must not name, to reach a place no man must know."

After two issues, she leaves to go give birth.

Then in Eclipse comics (Scorpio Rose #2 ) she was LoreleiIn. In fact there is a missing issue in this run (they literally just skipped an issue), that was later published for the first time by Image comics.

Lorelei is later name-dropped in Englehart's 2010 novel The Long Man (page 355, mass market paperback edition).

Eventually returning to Marvel when Engleheart did. An this is why we don't let writers own the characters they create... I mean did we learn nothing from the Image universe? :roll:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart: Ravenous, Drax, COSMIC LADIES' NIGHT!

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:05 am

Apparently Mantis is good with pressure points, enough to where she even took Thor out with a nerve pinch, so I gave her a pretty decent Affliction, but Thor would have to roll pretty bad to fail it, so we'll assume that occurred, or maybe Mantis used some Extra Effort to pump it up.

That's why I built Mantis in two separate builds- one for Regular Mantis, one for Englehart Mantis :). There's like two or three PLs separating them. Of course, it was also Thor, Pre-Power Creep, when he was only supposed to be REALLY TOUGH, instead of an unstoppable guy that always had to have Good Showings. Mantis debuted exactly like a FanFic character would- dominating the story and beating the hell out of all the other elite characters without effort.

And careful saint_matthew, you may have just justified how comic book companies have treated all their creative talent for years :). I just got a big book about the history of Marvel Comics, and it's pretty rad, and it talks a lot about that.

in line with the with rest of the Guardians. So PL12 felt right. I almost made her a PL15 telepath and PL12 martial artist just to piss Jab off, but I resisted.

NOOOO DAMN YOU THORPACOLYPPPPSSEEE!!!!!!

Though really, nearly any PL could be justified for some of these Cosmic Guys. Moondragon was a Capwrecker one issue, then just some random person the next. I haven't heard of her martial arts being referenced in years. She also once Mind Controlled an entire PLANET, and once easily controlled Thor for hours to be her lover.

Return to “Roll Call”