J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
hero4hire
Overlord
Overlord

Re: J-Mart: MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Overtkill, Bushwacker

Post by hero4hire » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Actually, Random has Bushwhackers' powers. Bushwhacker predates Random by about 6 years. But making Bushwhacker a mutant was sort of retarded, since when he was originally introduced, he was a cyborg. Now I guess he's a cyborg mutant. If they throw in some psionic powers and add "from the future" to his origin, he could be Cable's long lost son. :wink:
Ugh...They made Bushwhacker a mutant? :x

Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Batgirl III » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:06 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Actually, Random has Bushwhackers' powers. Bushwhacker predates Random by about 6 years.
But I read X-Factor and not Daredevil back in the `90s... and had never heard of Bushwacker before now. Clearly, what matters is when I first learned about the character. :wink:
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Batgirl III wrote:
Horsenhero wrote:Actually, Random has Bushwhackers' powers. Bushwhacker predates Random by about 6 years.
But I read X-Factor and not Daredevil back in the `90s... and had never heard of Bushwacker before now. Clearly, what matters is when I first learned about the character. :wink:
I stand...well, sit in front my computer corrected. :P

Gilliam
Superhero
Superhero

Re: 684

Post by Gilliam » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:07 am

Thorpacolypse wrote:
BUSHWACKER

How can a guy who looks this gross have the same name as the greatest tag team of all time?!?!?

Evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8g3OoullXk
Gooooo KIWI. Possibly the only wrestlers from New Zealand to make it big.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Re: 684

Post by Thorpacolypse » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:51 am

hero4hire wrote:
Horsenhero wrote:Actually, Random has Bushwhackers' powers. Bushwhacker predates Random by about 6 years. But making Bushwhacker a mutant was sort of retarded, since when he was originally introduced, he was a cyborg. Now I guess he's a cyborg mutant. If they throw in some psionic powers and add "from the future" to his origin, he could be Cable's long lost son. :wink:
Ugh...They made Bushwhacker a mutant? :x
On part one of this, I thought Random was a ripoff from Bushwacker, too (sorry BGIII, I saw Bushwacker first) but of course, at first they were "different" because Bushwacker was a cyborg and Random was a mutant. But now they're really similar, so it makes Random even suckier IMHO. All just because they wanted the irony of Bushwacker BEING a mutant while hunting mutants. I understand to most writers the story they are writing is more important than continuity, but it does have an effect on the combined universe as a whole.
Gilliam wrote:
Thorpacolypse wrote:
BUSHWACKER

How can a guy who looks this gross have the same name as the greatest tag team of all time?!?!?

Evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8g3OoullXk
Gooooo KIWI. Possibly the only wrestlers from New Zealand to make it big.
I used to love the Bushwackers in their early heyday. Until learned about "wrestling", and I'm not talking about the true wrestling, I'm talking about things like knowing how to cut a promo on the mike, how to sell a move from an opponent, have variety in your move set and other things that real pro wrestlers do. The Bushwhackers got by on charisma like Hogan did (does), which is all fine and good but they've dropped a good ways in my eyes over the years. But they sure knew how to work a crowd.

And I've noted it before, but I love when I post someone like Bushwacker, who probably took me 15 minutes to whip up and who is not even close to a big name in his comic company, and we drop 20 posts on him. 8)
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:46 am

We're keeping the new items coming in our JOB SQUAD LINE!

Mauler 1 (or 2): Excellent work. For a clone.

Mauler 2 (or 1): I'm not the clone, YOU are.

THE MAULER TWINS
PL: 10 (144 pts) - OPL: 10 ; DPL: 10

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 9, STAMINA 8, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT 9, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Athletics 3 (+12), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+10), Deception 6 (+7), Expertise [Science] 11 (+20) [Skill Mastery], Insight (+2), Intimidation 6 (+7/+9) [Intimidation], Perception (+2), Persuasion (+1), Ranged Combat [Gun] 6 (+8), Stealth (+2/+0), Technology 11 (+20) [Inventor, Skill Mastery], Treatment 4 (+13)

ADVANTAGES: Eidetic Memory, Equipment (6), Inventor, Skill Mastery (2) (Expertise [Science], Technology), Speed of Thought*, Teamwork

POWERS:
Mauler Size: Growth 2 (+2 Str, +2 Sta, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth, +1 Intimidation, Speed +0, +2 Mass; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 5 pts
Mauler Physiology: Protection 2, Impervious 4, Immunity 3 (Environment Heat, Environmental Cold, Pressure); 13 pts
Mauler Mind: Quickness 2 (Flaw: Mental only); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(30 pts)
Flash Goggles: Feature 1 (+5 Visual Dazzle Resistance); 1 pt
Blaster Gun: Ranged Multiattack Energy Damage 8; 24 pts
5 pts for Tools, Science EQ

OFFENSE:
Initiative +5
Close Attack +8
Unarmed +10 [Unarmed +9]
Ranged Attack +2
Guns +8 [Blaster Gun +8, Multiattack]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 [DC16] Parry +8 [DC18]
Toughness +10, Fortitude +11, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: Varies from time to time, but they are always driven to work on some super science project.
Power Loss: If one of the Maulers dies, the other remaining Mauler's Int drops to 6 and he loses his Mauler Mind power until another clone is created.
Rivalry: With each other. One of them is the original and the other a clone and neither of them knows, or is willing to admit that the other is the clone.

Abilities 74 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Advantages 12 + Powers 19 + Defenses 16 = 144 / 144

Build Comments: The Mauler Twins are some of Invincible's jobbers but some of Robert Kirkman’s better creations for the series. They are a combination of the powerhouse and mad scientist archetypes but the best twist is that they are not actually Twins, one of them is a clone. And he's so complete, that he believes he is the original, so they constantly fight and try to convince the other who the clone is. And over the course of the Invincible series, one of them, if not both, have been killed off and brought back enough that there IS no original anymore now but that doesn’t keep them from arguing about it. Funny stuff.

Secret Origins: The original (whichever one that was) was a brilliant scientist that created a cloning machine and tried it out on himself. This produced his clone that thought he himself was the original. A lot of their actions seem to be based off of their desire to conduct experiments and gain political power. They do however seem to be respectful creatures with a genuine love for science.

Invincible's first encounter with the twins involved them stealing video game systems to harvest their parts for an army of Robots they where building. He and the Teen Titans haulted their actions.

The Story so Far: The Maulers were killed by Kid Omni-Man at one point and it was believed their threat was finally ended, but apparently another clone existed and he cloned another so the Maulers live again to vex the heroes of the Thorpacoverse.

Characterization: Two Maulers never agree who came first, as the clones are born with complete memories of the original, thats why they diferentiate themselves with piercings or other accoutrements, but that does nothing to stop "who came first" debate. Other then debating about their origins, they are constantly thorn in the side of the world`s hero population.

Friends and Foes: While they have worked with several villains over the years, their only real relationship is with each other. However, they have recently been working with A.I.M. although it is unclear whether they part of the new High Council, or simply contractors. They both have a hatred for Invincible and the Guardians of the Globe.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Re: 685

Post by Batgirl III » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:01 am

Thorpacolypse wrote: The Mauler Twins are some of Invincible's jobbers but some of Robert Kirkman’s better creations for the series. They are a combination of the powerhouse and mad scientist archetypes but the best twist is that they are not actually Twins, but one of them is a clone. And he's so complete, that he believes he is the original, so they constantly fight and try to convince the other who the clone is. And over the course of the Invincible series, one of them, if not both, have been killed off and brought back enough that there IS no original anymore now. Funny stuff.
One of the reason I think the Maulers work so well as recurring jobbers is that, the way Kirkman has set them up and constantly characterizes them, you could totally buy into it if a story arc in Invincible had them succeed and become a major threat. I liken them to Doctor Octopus or Scarecrow in this way, just minor enough that they make a good jobber but just credible that a writer could use them as a Big Bad Evil Guy for a story.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart: Overtkill, Bushwacker, Mauler Twins

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:02 am

Love the Maulers' Thorp. Heck, even though I'm not fond of the overabundance of Superman expy's out there (not being a Superman fan either, really), characters like this are creative enough that I am inclined to give Invincible a look.

On the subject of characters like Bushwhacker...my love of D-League characters is pretty well documented on this board. Guys like the Shroud, Paladin, Son of Satan, Woodgod, the Wraith, Tagak the Leopard Lord, White Rabbit, Razorback, Will O' the Wisp, Man-Beast, Nicholas Scratch, the Prowler, Nebulon the Celestial Man, Torpedo and his successor, Turbo, etc, etc all rank among my favorite characters because...everyone else disses them.

What can I say? I'm a fan of the underdog.

danelsan
Daredevil
Daredevil

Post by danelsan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:34 am

Horsenhero wrote:Love the Maulers' Thorp. Heck, even though I'm not fond of the overabundance of Superman expy's out there (not being a Superman fan either, really), characters like this are creative enough that I am inclined to give Invincible a look.
Horsenhero wrote:What can I say? I'm a fan of the underdog.
B-but...the Underdog is a superman expy! I'm confused... :wink:
My DeviantArt page
Batgirl avatar by ArtNerdEm

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:50 am

danelsan wrote:
Horsenhero wrote:Love the Maulers' Thorp. Heck, even though I'm not fond of the overabundance of Superman expy's out there (not being a Superman fan either, really), characters like this are creative enough that I am inclined to give Invincible a look.
Horsenhero wrote:What can I say? I'm a fan of the underdog.
B-but...the Underdog is a superman expy! I'm confused... :wink:
LOL. I used to love that show when I was kid. The remake movie...not so much... :shock:

I highly recommend Invincible. It's one of my all-time favorite books. It has it's flaws, for sure, but over the years, Kirkman has done a wonderful job of building the Invincible-verse, developing the supporting characters and keeping Mark Grayson a complicated center of the whole thing. I recently picked up another Image book that I love that I will be posting a character from shortly, but I have another jobber to post first.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:13 am

This PURPLE LIGHT SPECIAL is the last item (for now) in our JOB SQUAD LINE!

Heroes for Hire. It's a very efficient operation...I designed it myself. I intended to use it covertly to build my empire here in New York. But Misty Knight and her partner Paladin spoiled that. They took my idea away and made it work for the angels. Time I took it back. - Zebediah Killgrave

THE PURPLE MAN
PL: 10 (158 pts) - OPL: 10 ; DPL: 10

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 1, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT 5, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 4

SKILLS: Athletics (+1), Deception 11 (+15) [Taunt], Expertise [Criminal] 5 (+10), Expertise [Spy] 2 (+7), Expertise [Streetwise] 8 (+13), Insight (+3), Intimidation 4 (+8), Investigation 3 (+8) [Contacts, Well-Informed], Perception 2 (+5), Persuasion 12 (+16) [Connected, Daze], Ranged Combat [Guns] 3 (+6), Stealth 6 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (3) [Wealth 3 (Millionaire)], Connected, Contacts, Daze (1) (Persuasion), Diehard, Equipment (6), Set-Up (1), Taunt, Well-Informed

POWERS:
Mind Control Pheromones: 41 pt Array; 42 pts
Mind Control: Perception Ranged Affliction 10 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled, Extra: Concentration, Cumulative, Subtle, Flaw: Sense-Dependent [Olfactory]); 41 pts
Mass Mind Control: Burst Area Affliction 7 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled, Extra: Area Burst 3 [120 ft radius], Concentration, Cumulative, Subtle); 1 pt

Healing Factor: Regeneration 2 (1/every 5 rounds, Extra: Persistent); 3 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(30ep)
30ep for HQ, vehicles, weapons, etc.

OFFENSE:
Initiative +1
Close Attack +4 [Unarmed +1]
Ranged Attack +3
Guns +6
Special Attack [Mind Control Affliction +10, Perception; Mass Mind Control Affliction +7, Area Burst]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +8 [DC18] Parry +8 [DC18]
Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: His purple skin tags him as an obvious superhuman, making it difficult for him to blend into normal society
Motivation: Money and power
Rivalry: With the Maggia and other big time crime bosses

Abilities 50 + Skills 28 (56 ranks) + Advantages 16 + Powers 45 + Defenses 19 = 158 / 158

Comments: A jobber had never worked up before in 2E or 3E is the aptly named Purple Man, Zebediah Killgrave. But as Jab said, that name is far cooler than Purple Man, so he should have just gone with his real name. Oh, well.

He's been around the Marvel U for a good long while, manipulating folks from time to time and getting his ass kicked a lot. But I've always kind of liked him as a behind the scenes guy, but when they took him in the rape direction, they lost me for a while. Mind controlling folks into violent acts is one thing, taking things it that direction has never set well with me, no matter how "realistic" the setting may be.
Shop J-Mart!

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Re: J-Mart: Overtkill, Bushwacker, Mauler Twins, Purple Man

Post by scc » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:39 am

I didn't know they did that with Purple Man. I am not a fan of that either. I didn't know he had a healing factor. Is that something new they added to him?

Blitz
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Blitz » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:49 am

scc wrote:I didn't know they did that with Purple Man. I am not a fan of that either. I didn't know he had a healing factor. Is that something new they added to him?
Really, it was inevitable. Give a guy mind control pheromones, willingness to use them to do bad things, access to comic book babes, and free time? Yeah, gotta expect bad things. Unfortunately, the good folks at Marvel saw fit to Go There. Ugh.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:49 am

scc wrote:I didn't know they did that with Purple Man. I am not a fan of that either. I didn't know he had a healing factor. Is that something new they added to him?
Apparently. It was in the Marvel Wiki. I guess they wanted him to bounce back from beatings faster so he could get beat up again. :)
Shop J-Mart!

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:52 am

While in most games I'm not fond of bringing up rape, and I certainly never do in my 4-color games, in my grittier settings, I do. Of course, I also use human trafficking, drug trafficking, torture (whatever the underlying reason) and other deplorable crimes that are wrong thematically for most hero games.

I do find it darkly humorous that many people find the violation of Jessica Jones by the Purple Man so repugnant, but it's been the "elephant in the room" surrounding Mandrill's entire character schtick since his inception and no one seems to give it much thought.

On a construction note, I too did not realize that Killgrave had any sort of regeneration, though it would make sense given how badly Cage knocked the crap out of him when last they met.