J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:32 am

Another new item for Gloriant Fantasy setting is getting stocked on Aisle 22!

Slicing your throat's to good for ya...I've got other plans for you, ya squint...

BALDERRON
PL: 5 (75 pts) - OPL: 5 ; DPL: 5

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 4, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE -1

SKILLS: Acrobatics 3 (+7), Athletics 3 (+5), Close Combat [Short Blades] 2 (+7), Deception (-1), Insight (+1), Intimidation (-1), Investigation 3 (+3), Perception 3 (+4), Persuasion (-1), Ranged Combat [Thrown Blades] 2 (+5), Sleight of Hand 4 (+7), Stealth 6 (+10) [Hide in Plain Sight, Skill Mastery]

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Equipment (1), Evasion (1), Favored Environment (Shadows), Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (1) (Short Blades), Improved Initiative (1), Languages (1) (Orc, 1 other, Base: Common), Skill Mastery (1) (Stealth), Tracking

POWERS:
Backstab: Piercing Strength-based Damage 0, Enhanced Advantage 1 (Power Attack); (Extra: Multiattack 3, Flaw: Check Required [Successful opposed check Stealth vs. Perception]); 2 pts
Half Orc Senses: Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Scent [Acute, Accurate, Extended); 5 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(10ep)
Leather Armor: Protection 1; 1ep
5ep for adventuring gear (ropes, backpack, etc.)
Arsenal: (4ep)
Throwing Knives: Piercing Ranged Damage 1, Extra: Multiattack; 25ft range, Small; 3ep
Daggers: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Critical 19-20, Extra: Split, Small; 1ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +8
Close Attack +5 [Unarmed +2]
Short Blades +7 [Daggers +3, Critical 19-20; Backstab +3, Critical 18-20, Multiattack]
Ranged Attack +3
Thrown Blades +5 [Throwing Knives +1, Critical 19-20, Multiattack]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 [DC16] Parry +6 [DC16]
Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS:
Conflicted: He is often torn internally between his baser Orc urges, and the values he was raised with
Motivation: Proving himself to be as good, if not better than those who have been less than good to him, and helping his family, particularly his brother Xander reach his destiny
Phobia: He is terrified of bats
Relationships: His adopted brothers, Pergathon and Xander, his mother, Berises, his father Malchior, his friends Sian and Marada
Rivalry: The Bonehill Brothers, who have picked on he and his brothers for as long as they can remember

Abilities 34 + Skills 13 (26 ranks) + Advantages 12 + Powers 7 + Defenses 9 = 75 / 75

Comments: Balderron was the core character of my friend, Steve, another of the funniest guys I ever knew. He had a really dark sense of humor that made playing a half-orc assassin perfect for him.

In the new continuity, of the 4 sibs, Balderron is the black sheep. Always in trouble, constantly in fights either because of remarks about his lineage, or taking up for Pergathon or Xander for being hassled about theirs. As such, he had quite the bad rep in their hometown, but the family always stood beside him.

I really wish I could get my hands on his old sheet, because I thought Steve did a wonderful job of crafting him to be just the way he wanted him. He was brilliant with poisons and stealth. I left good stealth in, but I didn’t add the poisons, I figured that was something he would be learnging as he began to apprentice with an experienced assassin.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart: Fantasy Setting, PCs

Post by JoshuaDunlow » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Interesting use for Back Stab! A limited Multiattack extra. hmm. This was my solution.
Sneak Attack (ranked)
This advantage allows a hero to use his stealth to his advantage in combat. Though there are several requirements for one to be able to Sneak Attack. First and foremost, the Attacker must have a higher initiative then the one he is attacking. Second, he must make a successful stealth check against the targets perception. One 1 degree of success, the target is defense impaired, and gains the benefit of an Improved Critical equal to the ranks in his sneak attack. On 2 degree's of success, the target is vulnerable and the attack and gains the Improved Critical benefits. On 3 degree's of success the target is considered Defenseless, and gains the benefits of the Improved Critical. Without this advantage, an attacker can only hope for treating his target defense impaired or vulnerable.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:58 pm

I like that JD. The D&D style backstab is difficult to mimic in the PL system for sure. I'll have to try both and see what I like best.
Shop J-Mart!

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Re: 694

Post by Spectrum » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:11 pm

Question on your BALDERRON build.
Thorpacolypse wrote:PRESENCE -1
Thorpacolypse wrote:Pain In The Ass: Even when he tries to be good, he usually rubs people the wrong way
How do these two work together? It looks like you have a complication that is already covered on the character sheet.

Thanks!
Spectrum

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Post by Gazman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Half-Orc Assassin? Somebody started off with 1st Edition.
So did I. My library's children's section had the 1st Edition rulebooks, including Deities & Demigods. I'm pretty sure it warped my fragile little mind.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:10 pm

Spectrum wrote:Question on your BALDERRON build.
Thorpacolypse wrote:Pain In The Ass: Even when he tries to be good, he usually rubs people the wrong way
How do these two work together? It looks like you have a complication that is already covered on the character sheet.

Thanks!
Spectrum
Good point. I'll remove the Complication, it does seem redundant.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:12 pm

Gazman wrote:Half-Orc Assassin? Somebody started off with 1st Edition.
So did I. My library's children's section had the 1st Edition rulebooks, including Deities & Demigods. I'm pretty sure it warped my fragile little mind.
You know it. I started with 1st, then jumped back in at 3rd. My brother-in-laws started with 2nd and swear it is still the best RPG ever. I tried it, but THACO was too much for my pea brain. :)
Shop J-Mart!

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Bladewind » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Spectrum wrote:Question on your BALDERRON build.

Thanks!
Spectrum

I don't see them as mutually exclusive. Presence -1 (to me) means little social graces. Balderron is just... worse. Not only does he not have social graces, he has a knack for saying the wrong thing.

Instead of being a wallflower (an ugly wallflower, I grant), he's the wallflower that spits at you. Stuff that smells bad. When you need to leave for a wedding.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:29 pm

We've got another PC for our fantasy setting hitting the J-Mart shelves!

Once again, I find myself in the unenviable position of saving your idiots from yourselves. Pelor help me, if mom wouldn't kill me, I'd let the bugbears have you...

SIAN

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 0, STAMINA 1, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 2, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Athletics 1 (+1), Close Combat [Morningstar] 3 (+5), Deception (+2), Expertise [Theology and Philosophy] 6 (+9) [Ritualist], Insight 3 (+7), Intimidation (+2), Perception 1 (+5), Persuasion 3 (+5), Ranged Combat [Sling] 2 (+4), Ranged Combat [Prayers] 3 (+5), Stealth (+1), Treatment 2 (+5)

ADVANTAGES: Equipment (2), Leadership, Ritualist, Teamwork

POWERS:
Holy Avenger: Feature 1 (All attacks have Holy descriptor); 1 pt
Prayer Array: 10 pt array; 13 pts
Turning the Undead: Burst Area Radiant Damage 5 (Extra: Area Burst [30 ft], Linked, Flaw: Limited to Undead/Unholy), Burst Area Affliction 5 (Resisted by Will, 1st: Entranced, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled, Extra: Area Burst [30 ft], Linked, Flaw: Limited to Undead/Unholy only]); 10 pts
Cure Wounds: Healing 5; 1 pt
Ray of Faith: Ranged Damage 5; 1 pt
Bless: Luck Control 3 (Spend HP on other, Bestow HP on others, Negate HP, Extra: Luck 1); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(10ep)
Studded Leather Armor: Protection 2; 2ep
Holy Symbol: Feature 1; 1ep
Arsenal: (7ep)
Morningstar: Bludgeoning Strength-Based Damage 2, Extra: Reach [10ft.], Improved Trip, Improved Disarm; Medium; 5ep
Sling: Bludgeoning Strength-Based Ranged Damage 2; 20ft range, Small; 1ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +1
Close Attack +2 [Unarmed +0]
Morningstar +5 [Morningstar +2]
Ranged Attack +2
Sling +4 [Sling +2]
Prayers +5 [Ray of Faith +5]
Special Attack [Turning Undead Damage/Affliction +5, Area Burst]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 [DC16] Parry +5 [DC15]
Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Doing Good: Sian wants nothing more than to rid the world of it's evils and to protect its people
Power Loss: She needs her holy symbol to perform Rituals and cast her spells and she must be able to speak
Relationships: Her family, especially her brothers Xander Daellion, Pergathon, Balderron, her compatriots, Marada and Kalen (sometimes), and her mentor Lady Elsbeth

Abilities 30 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Advantages 6 + Powers 14 + Defenses 13 = 75 / 75

Comments: Sian the Cleric was another of my original characters, my first female character, although I think she started out as a he, but I changed things to make it more interesting in the game. Kalen the Dwarf kept trying to bang her, which made for some interesting downtimes in Inns and such...

In my updated setting, she is the biological daughter of the adopted parents of Xander, Pergathon and Balderron’s . Pretty, smart and very strong in her faith, some of the other adopted kids (and everyone, really) were jealous of her, but Balderron and Xander kept them in check and she in turn looked out for them. When the brothers decided to leave, she went with them, despite her parents’ wishes.

I like the Turning mechanic I came up with after checking some other fantasy Cleric builds, but I am always welcome for suggestions.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:33 pm

The PCs keep on coming with this new item for Aisle 22!

I got a fireball with your name on it, greenskin...

MARADA

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 0, STAMINA 0, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 2, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Deception 4 (+7) [Taunt], Expertise [Magic] 6 (+9) [Artificer, Ritualist], Insight 2 (+5), Intimidation (+3), Perception 2 (+5), Persuasion (+3/+5) [Attractive], Ranged Combat [Magic] 2 (+4), Stealth (+2)

ADVANTAGES: Artificer, Equipment (2), Languages (1) (Arcane Language, Draconic, Base: Common), Ritualist, Set-Up (1), Taunt

POWERS:
Prestidigitation: Feature 1 (You can create minor illusions as “magic tricks” primarily suitable for entertainment, but potentially good for a circumstance bonus for interaction skills or to distract targets from other happenings); 1 pt
Magic Array: 12 pt Array; 18 pts
Magic Missiles: Ranged Damage 6; 12 pts
Telekinesis: Move Object 4 (Extra: Perception); 1 pt
Fireball: Ranged Burst Area Damage 6 (Extra: Burst Area [30 ft], Flaw: Distracting); 1 pt
Decoys: Concealment 4 (All Visual Senses; Flaw: Limited [to Decoy Images]); 1 pt
Mystic Shield: Protection 5 (Extra: Affects Others, Progression 2 [5 others], Flaw: Sustained); 1 pt
Sleep Spell: Ranged Burst Area Affliction 4 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Asleep, Extra: Area Burst [30 ft radius]); 1 pt
Knock: Enhanced Skills 8 (Technology 15 ranks, Flaw: Limited to lock picking), Move Object 6 (Extra: Damaging, Flaw: Limited to forcing doors open); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(10ep)
Wand: Feature 1 (Spell focus); 1ep
Arsenal: (3ep)
Wizard's Staff: Bludgeoning Strength-Based Damage 2, Environment 1 (Light [30 ft radius]); 3ep
Knife: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Critical 19-20, Small; 1ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +2 [Unarmed +0; Staff +2; Dagger +1, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +2
Magic +4 [Magic Missiles +6]
Special Attack [Fireball +6, Area Burst; Move Object +4, Perception]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +5 [DC15] Parry +5 [DC15]
Toughness +0 (+5 with Mystic Shield), Fortitude +2, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Daddy Issues: Marada was shunned by her father who was ashamed that she began to study magic and still hopes for his eventual approval
Power Loss: She cannot cast her spells if she cannot gesture and/or speak
Relationships: Her friends, Xander Daellion, Pergathon, Balderron, Sian, Kalen (sometimes) and her mentor Sherana
Secret: She has been in love with Xander since the day they met

Abilities 32 + Skills 8 (16 ranks) + Advantages 5 + Powers 15 + Defenses 15 = 75 / 75

Comments: Marada is the party’s wizard. She is based on my original magic user that started with an M that I cannot remember. So I made him in her in this new continuity. She became friends with Xander, Pergathon, Pergathon, and Sian when they were young and special she has been in love with Xander for as long as she can remember, although it is unrequited. She is also very close to Pergathon, who she has always seen as a little brother. Although Sian think he has feeling for her, which has made things interesting in the group from time to time over the years.

I was trying to remember those old beginning spells magic users used to get so I kinda based her spells off of that and I like the Knock recreation. That was a freakin’ handy spell!
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 pm

Our last PC (for now) for our Gloriant Fantasy Setting is hitting the shelves right now!

Here's a plan for ya, Daellion...you ladies all sit back and I'll go kick the ogre's ass, then Balderron can buy me one of them 10 ales he owes me...

KALEN
PL: 5 (68 pts) - OPL: 5 ; DPL: 5

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Athletics 3 (+5), Expertise [Construction] 6 (+6), Insight (+1), Intimidation 5 (+5), Perception 6 (+7), Ranged Combat [Throwing] 3 (+4), Stealth 3 (+4)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Benefit (1) (Status – Dwarven prince), Close Attack (1), Diehard, Equipment (2), Favored Environment (Giant Combat Areas), Favored Foe (Giants), Favored Foe (Dark elves), Improved Critical (1) (Axes), Improved Initiative (1), Improved Smash, Languages (1) (Common, Elvish, Base: Dwarven), Lionheart*, Power Attack, Takedown (2)

POWERS:
Dwarven Physiology: Enhanced Strength 2 (Flaw: Limited to Resisting Movement), Senses 1 (Low Light Vision), Feature 1 (Longevity); 4 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(5ep)
Dwarven Chain: Protection 2; 2ep
Battleaxe: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3; Medium; 3ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +5
Close Attack +5 [Unarmed +2; Battleaxe +5, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +1
Throwing +4

DEFENSES:
Dodge +4 [DC14] Parry +4 [DC14]
Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS:
Arrogance: He quite sure of himself to the point of often underestimating his opponents
Enemy: Giants, Dark elves
Motivation: Getting as much treasure as possible and upholding honor and stature of the line of Dwalrin
Responsibility: He has pledged an oath to help the party through to the end of their adventure

Abilities 26 + Skills 13 (26 ranks) + Advantages 17 + Powers 4 + Defenses 8 = 68 / 75

Comments: When we started playing D&D back in the day, my friend Mitch, now a city cop, played Kalen the Dwarf and man, did he play the stereotypical dwarf. He was cocky, he swung first and asked questions later, used no tactics, he always got us into fights that could have been avoided, was useless in half in the fights until he scored a lucky crit at the end just when we needed it, and he tried to bang every wench he saw. In retrospect, I suppose I should have forseen his future cop career… :wink:

He had one of my favorite lines ever in role-playing but I have to save it until we reach the point in the higher level builds of these folks that I plan on doing that it makes sense. I laughed so hard when our DM god-smacked him down for his stupidity, it was just great.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:09 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM J-MART! Now that we've got some PCs in place, they need some stuff to fight, so now we're going to start stocking builds of the some of the monsters and races of Gloriant! Check out this new item hitting our Original Fantasy Aisle!

I got to keep movin', I've got to keep movin'
Blues fallin' down like hail, blues fallin' down like hail
Umm-mm-mm-mm, blues fallin' down like hail, blues fallin' down like hail
And the day keeps on worrin' me, there's a hellhound on my trail
Hellhound on my trail, hellhound on my trail... - Robert Johnson

HELLHOUND
PL: 6 (79 pp) - OPL: 6 ; DPL: 6

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 4, STAMINA 5, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT -2, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE -2

SKILLS: Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 3 (+7), Deception (-2), Insight (+1), Intimidation (-2), Perception 6 (+7), Persuasion (-2), Stealth 5 (+8)

ADVANTAGES: Close Attack (3), Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Ranged Attack (0)

POWERS:
Hellhound Size: Growth 2 (+2 Str, +2 Sta, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth, +1 Intimidation, Speed +0, +2 Mass; Extra: Permanent, Innate); 5 pts
Hellhound Physiology: Speed 2 (8 mph), Leaping 2 (30 ft), Protection 2, Senses 6 (Darkvision, Scent [Extended, Tracking], Ultrahearing, Infravision), Immunity 10 (Fire Effects, Flaw: Limited [Half Effect]); 15 pts
Hellfire Breath: 12 pt array; 13 pts
Hellfire Breath: Cone Area Hellfire Damage 6 (Extra: Area Cone); 12 pts
Hellfire Bite: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 2 (Extra: Improved Critical, Penetrating 5); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +3
Close Attack +8 [Unarmed +4; Hellfire Bite +6, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +1
Special Attack [Fire Breath +6, Cone Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +5 [DC15] Parry +5 [DC15]
Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +3

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: Hellhounds cannot speak to humans or use their paws to easily manipulate objects
Vulnerable Hellhounds are vulnerable to cold and holy based attacks, taking an extra degree of damage/effect with a failure

Abilities 26 + Skills 8 (16 ranks) + Advantages 5 + Powers 33 + Defenses 7 = 79 / 79

Comments: You know, most of the builders here have a plan, like Prodigy Duck generally built his fantasy and Marvel stuff in alphabetical order. Jab will build a whole series of stuff in a particular theme, like he's doing with Mortal Kombat and countless other themes before. But me...just can't do it. While I plan on sticking with the fantasy theme for a while, there will be no rhyme or reason to my monsters/fantasy race builds other than I'm starting with the stuff I like best and working other stuff in as a get to it. As such, I'm starting with my take on Hellhounds for my setting. These were originally built mainly for the ThorpacoDresdenverse but I think they go just fine here.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:37 pm

We've got a J-Mart Favorite item getting stocked on Aisle 22!

Licensed to Illithid

MIND FLAYER
PL: 8 (178 pts) - OPL: 8 ; DPL: 8

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT 4, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 4

SKILLS: Athletics (+2), Close Combat [Tentacles] 4 (+9), Deception 6 (+10) [Daze], Expertise [Underdark] 6 (+10), Insight 5 (+9), Intimidation 6 (+10), Perception 7 (+11), Persuasion 5 (+9), Stealth 5 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Daze (1) (Deception), Equipment (1), Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Languages (1) (Common, Draconic, Base: Deep Speech), Speed of Thought*

POWERS:
Natural Body Armor: Protection 3; 3 pts
Underground Dweller: Senses 2 (Darkvision); 2 pts
Tentacles: Extra Limbs 4 (4 Tentacles), Enhanced Advantages 2 (Fast Grab, Improved Hold); 6 pts
Ageless: Immunity 1 (Disease), Feature 1 (Longevity); 2 pts
Brain Extraction: Damage 5 (Extra: Concentration, Linked, Penetrating 5, Flaw: Grab-based), Weaken Intellect 3 (Extra: Concentration, Linked, Flaw: Grab-based); 13 pts
Brain Ingestion: Reaction Healing 5 (Extra: Reaction [when target takes damage from Brain Extraction], Flaw: Limited to Self Only); 20 pts
Psionic Array: 33 pt Array; 35 pts
Mental Blast: Psychic Perception Ranged Damage 8 (Extra: Alternate Resistance [Will], Subtle); 33 pts
Mind Control: Perception Ranged Cumulative Affliction 8 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled, Extra: Subtle); 1 pt
Telepathy: Mind Reading 8, Communication 1 (Mental, 100 ft), Comprehend 2 (Speak, Understand all languages); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(5 pts)
Quarterstaff: Bludgeoning Strength-Based Damage 2; 2 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +4
Close Attack +5 [Unarmed +2; Staff +4]
Tentacles +9 [Brain Extraction +5]
Special Attack [Mind Blast +8, Perception; Mind Control Affliction +8, Perception]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +9 [DC19] Parry +8 [DC18]
Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS:
Arrogance: Mind Flayers consider themselves superior to all other creatures
Motivation: Illithids live to dominate others and are constantly planning ways, or searching for objects or pawns to help them do so
Reputation: Their reputation precedes them anywhere they go across Gloriant

Abilities 52 + Skills 22 (44 ranks) + Advantages 5 + Powers 81 + Defenses 18 = 178 / 178

Comments: As much as I never though D&D handled psionic powers that well (I thought they were unbalancing) I always loved Mind Flayers. Many are the times I’ve had my character, or a party member turned against the party thanks to these bastards. Despite that, I love the concept and they were one of the first things I knew I had to do a version of for my setting.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

BUILD #700!

Post by Thorpacolypse » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:49 pm

We're celebrating BUILD #700 here at J-Mart tonight as part of our NEW YEAR'S DAY HOLIDAY SPECIAL! And for this landmark build, I was going to go back to comic genre, but I decided to stick with the fantasy realm and unleash a build that is more than deserving of being in a landmark build spot! Fear the awesomeness of this new item hitting the shelves right now!

Behold, that which shall be unleashed upon Epic Characters when they have really pissed a GM off...

TARRASQUE
PL: 19 (446 pts) - OPL: 19 ; DPL: 19

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 20, STAMINA 20, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 15, INTELLECT -4, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Athletics 5 (+25), Deception (+3), Expertise [Survival] 14 (+10), Insight (+2), Intimidation 14 (+17/+25), Perception 17 (+19), Persuasion (+3), Stealth (+3)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative (1), Improved Trip, Takedown (2)

POWERS:
Colossal Size: Growth 16 (+16 Str, +16 Sta, -8 Dodge/Parry, -16 Stealth, +8 Intimidation, Speed +2, +16 Mass, Reach 4 [20 ft], Extra: Innate); 33 pts
Carapace: Protection 10, Impervious 12; 34 pts
Indestructible: Immunity 140 (All Toughness Effects, Fortitude Effects, Will Effects, Flaw: Limited to Half Effects); 70 pts
Uncontrollable: Immunity 6 (Control Effects, Fear Effects); 6 pts
Healing Factor: Regeneration 20 (2/every round; Extra: Persistent); 40 pts
Animal Senses: Senses 11 (Normal Vision [Extended 2], Low-Light Vision [Extended 2], Scent [Acute, Ranged, Extended 2, Tracking]); 11 pts
Fearsome Presence: Burst Area Reaction Affliction 12 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed and Impaired, 2nd: Compelled (To flee) and Disabled, Extra: Burst Area 4 [250 ft radius], Extra Condition, Reaction [to moving into perception range of Tarrasque], Flaw: Limited to two degrees); 96 pts
Rush: Speed 2 (8 [32 mph/250 fpr]; Flaw: Fades); 1 pt
Natural Weapons: 38 pt Array; 40 pts
Tail Swipe: Burst Area Damage 19 (Extra: Burst Area [30 ft radius]); 38 pts
Bite: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 3 (Extra: Concentration, Dangerous, Penetrating 12); 1 pt
Claws: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3 (Extra: Dangerous, Penetrating 12, Split); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +7
Close Attack +15 [Unarmed +20; Bite +23, Critical 19-20; Claws +23, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +0
Special Attack [Tail Swipe +19, Burst Area; Fearsome Presence Affliction +12, Burst Area, Reaction]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 [DC16] Parry +8 [DC18]
Toughness +30 (+12 Impervious), Fortitude +25, Will +13

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: The Tarrasque is mute and cannot use it's paws to easily manipulate objects.
Power Loss: The Tarrasque's Immunity and Regeneration are lost against Legendary Weapons.
Reputation: The Tarrasque is feared by every other creature on the planet for its destructive force .

Abilities 54 + Skills 25 (50 ranks) + Advantages 8 + Powers 331 + Defenses 28 = 446 / 446

Comments: Most people start with lower level builds in these types of things and work up, but as I stated before, that's not my style. After a couple of moderately challenging monsters, I’m jumping up to the top with THE bad ass in the Gloriant Fantasy Setting. What is there really to say about the Tarrasque except it is the ultimate engine of destruction? One of my favorite fantasy creations of all time, it’s the ultimate “make the party crap their pants” threat. You can’t hurt it, you can’t control it, you can barely flee from it. It’s beautiful.

I really wanted to keep it at a lower PL than I had seen other builds because I think sometimes when I've seen pure conversions from D&D or Pathfinder to MnM, attack bonuses get either overdone, or underdone because of the difference in AC and Defense. In a D&D game, you need a +28 or +30 to hit because you’re trying to hit ACs of 40+ sometimes. In an MnM setting, you usually don’t need anything higher than +20 like Batman or Shiva because most Defenses are no higher than 26, maybe a stretch to 27. I tried it at PL16, but it didn't seem epic enough, so I went with PL19. A Tarrasque with +15 to hit and having All-Out Attack is still going to hit pretty much anyone whenever it needs to. And defensively, with half-effect against all defenses, +30 Toughness, +25 Fortitude and +13 Will (with an immunity to Control effects to top it off) is going to be plenty. Even if it bombs a save against a +14 Mind Blast from Professor X or something, it will recover lighting fast with 20 ranks of Regeneration. It would use and and abuse the Justice League for several rounds before Batman figured out how to take it down.

And as noted with the superhero references, it works really in any setting. I could see someone like Darkseid finding out about the Tarrasque sleeping peacefully under the Earth until he decides to wake it up and try to bend it to his will. But I built it for my setting where the most powerful heroes will be PL13-14 at the very best, so a party of Epic PL12s would still be way outclassed in dealing with it.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shop J-Mart!

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Re: J-Mart: Hellhound, Mind Flayer, Tarrasque

Post by luketheduke86 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:10 am

I'm with you on the Mind Flayers, they have always been one of my favorite fantasy monsters and I think they would even fit well in a super-hero campaign as conquering aliens/extra-dimensional creatures. Oh, and that Tarrasque is freaking scary! I've luckily never had to go up against one in a campaign, though part of me always kind of wanted to :D.
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.