J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Re: J-Mart: Orcs, Goblinoids, Gargoyles, Ogre, Minotaur, Can

Post by Woodclaw » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:58 am

Throp, I'm a little bit disappointed that you followed the classic D&D mold of giving normal wolves STR 1. Maybe it's just me (and Jab), but I always thought that D&D have a nasty habit of underestimating how dangerous normal animals can be.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Narsil » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:15 am

I'd personally boost the bite damage rather than boosting strength much, though. Wolves and dogs can occasionally be quite strong, but what makes them dangerous is that they're smart, they usually travel in packs, and most of their damaging strength would likely be in their jaw muscles.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: 705

Post by JoshuaDunlow » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:45 am

Thorpacolypse wrote:One last item in our fantasy build version of our JOB SQUAD LINE is hitting the Aisle 22 shelves!

To hell with Kingsley and Urich, let us take on Spider-Man!

HOBGOBLINS
PL: 5 (39 pts) - OPL: 4 ; DPL: 5
Hobgoblins became one of my favorites races in the new 3E when they changed them. It just made them that much more fun, and ended up making them a player race in my setting. In my eyes, they sorta replaced the Orc as something much cooler.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:06 pm

Woodclaw wrote:Throp, I'm a little bit disappointed that you followed the classic D&D mold of giving normal wolves STR 1. Maybe it's just me (and Jab), but I always thought that D&D have a nasty habit of underestimating how dangerous normal animals can be.
Narsil wrote:I'd personally boost the bite damage rather than boosting strength much, though. Wolves and dogs can occasionally be quite strong, but what makes them dangerous is that they're smart, they usually travel in packs, and most of their damaging strength would likely be in their jaw muscles.
I tend to agree with that. The strength 1 for the wolf seemed OK originally, though, but in comparison to the other wolves, I should probably raise it. Generally, I would probably go the route Narsil suggested since feral canines are known for their bite strength, but then my standard wolf would have Bite 2, and all the others would have Bite 1, and I'd like to stay fairly consistent. I'll raise the strength.

I also think I might be underselling some of my monsters in PL, period, especially the solo monsters. I'm getting ready to start some testing with some new "starting" PCs that I am getting ready to post, so I might be making some changes. I used a lot of the general D&D to MnM conversion method that Jab, Prodigy Duck, Legend, scc and others have done for their fantasy stuff, but I think what I've done challenge-wise for a group of 4-6 PL5 PCs might be too easy.

Thanks for the input, guys! :D
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:07 pm

JoshuaDunlow wrote:Hobgoblins became one of my favorites races in the new 3E when they changed them. It just made them that much more fun, and ended up making them a player race in my setting. In my eyes, they sorta replaced the Orc as something much cooler.
I agree. I thought they were greatly improved over what they were.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:23 pm

We've got a J-Mart Favorite item hitting the Aisle 22 shelves!

Ludicrous, yet...cool.

OWLBEAR
PL: 6 (66 pts) - OPL: 6 ; DPL: 6

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 5, STAMINA 5, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT -4, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE -1

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+7), Expertise [Survival] 8 (+4), Insight (+1), Intimidation (-1/+1), Perception 6 (+7), Stealth (+1/-3)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Close Attack (1), Fast Grab

POWERS:
Large Creature: Growth 4 (+4 Str, +4 Sta, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth, +2 Intimidation, Speed +0, +4 Mass; Extra: Innate); 9 pts
Feathered Hide: Protection 3, Immunity 1 (Environmental Cold); 4 pts
Owlbear Senses: Senses 6 (Darkvision, Scent [Acute, Ranged, Extended]); 6 pts
Talons: Slashing Strength-based Damage 1 (Extra: Dangerous, Split); 3 pts
Stunning Screech: Burst Area Reaction Affliction 5 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, Extra: Burst Area [30 ft], Reaction [when Owlbear takes 3 1st, 2 2nd or 1 3rd degree damage failures], Flaw: Limited to two degrees, Limited to when Owlbear takes 3 1st, 2 2nd or 1 3rd degree damage failures); 15 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +1
Close Attack +6 [Unarmed +5; Talons +6, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +0
Special Attack [Stunning Screech Affliction +5, Burst Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +3 [DC13] Parry +4 [DC14]
Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +3

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: Owlbears cannot speak and cannot use their paws to easily manipulate objects..
Temper: Owlbears are very aggressive and attack anything they think they can kill.

Abilities 8 + Skills 8 (16 ranks) + Advantages 3 + Powers 37 + Defenses 10 = 66 / 66

Comments: One of the most ludicrous fantasy creatures ever is, regardless, a staple of D&D gaming on a level just below that of dragons and Beholders. They are a staple of adventuring in Gloriant as well because, like I said above, they're just cool in a totally geeky way.

Here's a bigger version for higher level parties.
OWLBEAR (GREATER)
PL: 8 (85 pts) - OPL: 8 ; DPL: 8

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 6, STAMINA 6, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT -4, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE -1

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+8), Expertise [Survival] 8 (+4), Insight (+1), Intimidation (-1/+1), Perception 6 (+7), Stealth (+1/-3)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Close Attack (3), Fast Grab

POWERS:
Large Creature: Growth 4 (+4 Str, +4 Sta, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth, +2 Intimidation, Speed +0, +4 Mass; Extra: Innate); 9 pts
Feathered Hide: Protection 4, Immunity 1 (Cold); 3 pts
Owlbear Senses: Senses 6 (Darkvision, Scent [Acute, Ranged, Extended]); 6 pts
Talons: Slashing Strength-based Damage 1, Enhanced Advantage 1 (Improved Critical), (Extra: Split); 3 pt
Stunning Screech: Burst Area Reaction Affliction 7 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, Extra: Area Burst [30 ft], Reaction [when Owlbear takes 3 1st, 2 2nd or 1 3rd degree damage failures], Flaw: Limited to two degrees, Limited to when Owlbear takes 3 1st, 2 2nd or 1 3rd degree damage failures); 21 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +1
Close Attack +9 [Unarmed +6; Talons +7, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +0
Special Attack [Stunning Screech Affliction +7, Burst Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +4 [DC14] Parry +6 [DC16]
Toughness +10, Fortitude +11, Will +5

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: Owlbears cannot speak and cannot use their paws to easily manipulate objects
Temper: Owlbears are very aggressive and attack anything they think they can kill

Abilities 14 + Skills 8 (16 ranks) + Advantages 5 + Powers 42 + Defenses 16 = 85 / 85

Comments: A bigger version of an Owlbear for higher level parties.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:46 pm

After building my original Great Party as PCs, I figured it was time to post some new PCs for adventuring in Gloriant. As such, check out this new item for Aisle 22.

No matter what mother says, I WILL follow in father's footsteps. And I will become a hero in OWN right, in my OWN way...

ARISEMA
PL: 5 (75 pts) - OPL: 5 ; DPL: 5

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 1, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Athletics 3 (+4), Deception (+3/+5) [Attractive], Expertise [Tactics] 4 (+5), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidation (+3), Perception 3 (+5), Persuasion 2 (+5/+7) [Attractive], Ranged Combat [Throwing] 3 (+5), Stealth (+2)

ADVANTAGES: Assessment, Attractive (1), Equipment (3), Improved Initiative (1), Leadership, Power Attack, Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Rally the Troops: Burst Area Healing 5 (Extra: Area Burst [30 ft radius], Selective, Flaw: Others only, Unreliable [5 uses]); 10 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(15ep)
Studded Leather Armor: Protection 2; 2ep
4ep for adventuring gear (ropes, backpack, etc.)
Longsword: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3, Critical 19-20; 4ep
Arsenal: (5ep)
Chakram: Slashing Strength-Based Ranged Damage 2; 4ep
Knife: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Critical 19-20; 1ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +6 [Unarmed +1; Sword +4, Critical 19-20; Knife +2, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +2 Throwing +5 [Chakram +3]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 [DC16] Parry +6 [DC16]
Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +5

COMPLICATIONS:
Honor: Arisema is a woman of her word, like the other members of her family
Impulsive: Despite her upbringing and her control in battle, she is prone to rash decisions in her social life and when plunging into danger
Legacy: With her father being the High King of Gloriant, her mother being the "perfect" Queen, and her older brothers being great warriors, she feels she has a lot to live up to
Mommy Issues: Her mother never approved her wanting to be an adventurer and this has caused a rift between them
Motivation: Becoming a great hero on her own and protecting the people of her land
Relationships: She is close to her family and her long time buddy, Beaver the Bard
Secret: She does not want anyone to know who her father is, for fear of not just retribution from his enemies, but for preferential treatment

Abilities 38 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Advantages 9 + Powers 10 + Defenses 9 = 75 / 75

Comments: Arisema is a legacy character, Arisema is the second youngest child of my main character, Xander Daellion. She has idolized her father since day one. As much as he and her mother tried to talk her out of becoming and adventurer, she has thought of little else since she was a young child. Xander reluctantly allowed her to train with his X Knights and her brothers, Jaxx and Jacade and at age 17, she has become a gifted warrior and leader, if still a bit immature.

Her life as an adventurer is starting out under a veil of secrecy for if she were to be found to be the daughter of the king, her problems would be two-fold. First, there are always enemies of the crown that would love to kidnap her and use her as a bargaining piece (or worse), but most importantly to her, the fans of the Royal Family greatly outnumber the enemies by a mile and she wants no preferential treatment. She wants to succeed or fail on her own, and as difficult as it has been for them, the King and Queen are letting her do so. Mostly…

As a build, I built her with her mother's looks and her father's gift for strategy and leadership. She's basically a Warlord, with more of a focus on accuracy than power, but hopefully as she levels and powers up, that will even out.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:19 pm

The new PCs continue on Aisle 22!

I will protect Arisema with my life, my lord. This, I promise you.

SISTER ELI

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 5, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Acrobatics 3 (+8) [Agile Feint], Athletics 3 (+5), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+8), Expertise [Religion] 3 (+4), Insight (+2), Perception 1 (+3), Ranged Combat [Throwing] 3 (+5), Stealth 2 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Agile Feint, Equipment (2), Improved Critical (1) (Unarmed), Improved Initiative (1), Move-by Action, Takedown (2)

POWERS:
Monk Trained Physique: Speed 1 (4 mph), Leaping 1 (15 ft), Movement 1 (Slow Fall); 4 pts
Chi Power: 4 pt Array; 6 pts
Self-Healing: Healing 4 (Extra: Move Action, Flaw: Limited to self, Unreliable [5 uses]); 4 pts
Lay Hands: Healing 4 (Extra: Move Action, Flaw: Limited to self, Unreliable [5 uses]); 1 pt
Ignore the Elements: Immunity 4 (Heat, Cold, Weather Effects, Flaw: Sustained); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(10ep)
Mithril Weave Robes: Protection 1, Extra: Subtle; 2ep
Shuriken: Piercing Ranged Damage 1, Extra: Multiattack; 3ep
5ep for adventuring gear (ropes, backpack, etc.)

OFFENSE:
Initiative +9
Close Attack +5
Unarmed +8 [Unarmed +2, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +2
Throwing +5 [Shuriken +1, Multiattack]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7 [DC17] Parry +7 [DC17]
Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS:
Aloof: She can be hard to get to know even though he is very nice and charitable
Doing Good: Sister Eli is driven by a strong need to do as much good in this world as she can
Honor: Sister Eli is as honorable of a woman as you can get
Responsibility: To the Order of the Rose
Secret: She knows who Arisema really is, but Arisema does not know that know that her father asked her specifically to protect her and stay in contact with him

Abilities 38 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Advantages 8 + Powers 10 + Defenses 10 = 75 / 75

Comments: Sister Eli is a human monk from Kanai who is a member of the Order of the Rose. Brother Tym, the leader of the Order is good friends with King Xander and as such, unbeknownst to Arisema, Sister Eli has been sent with her to watch over her and report back to the King if anything goes awry. She has been friends with Arisema for years so she didn't question Sister Eli's desire to adventure with her, but Sister Eli regrets her inability to tell her the true reason she is accompanying her. Still, she is impressed with the young warrior and since she gave her word so she intends to keep it.

I am iffy on how I adjusted her caps, but a test will see if she performs like I want. I went for a stick and move type of monk with her so she should goon sweep pretty well, but without Power Attack, she will be at a disadvantage against more powerful opponents.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Another new PC item for our original fantasy setting is hitting the shelves!

The fire that burns in my soul will burn those that seek to harm to the innocent...

JOBYMME

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Athletics 1 (+4), Deception (+2), Expertise [Magic] 6 (+7) [Ritualist], Insight (+1), Intimidation 3 (+5), Perception 2 (+3), Persuasion (+2), Ranged Combat [Magic] 4 (+4), Stealth (+1), Technology 4 (+5)

ADVANTAGES: Close Attack (1), Equipment (1), Improved Critical (1) (Claws), Languages (1) (Arcane, Draconic, Base: Common), Ritualist, Teamwork

POWERS:
Dragonscales: Protection 2, Immunity 1 (Heat); 3 pts
Dragonborn Senses: Senses 3 (Infravision, Low-Light Vision, Scent [Acute]); 3 pts
Claws: Slashing Strength-based Damage 1; 1 pt
Almost Vestigial Wings: Flight 1 (4 mph, Flaw: Wings); 1 pt
Prestidigitation: Feature 1 (You can create minor illusions as “magic tricks” primarily suitable for entertainment, but potentially good for a circumstance bonus for interaction skills or to distract targets from other happenings); 1 pt
Dragonborn Magic: 6 pt Array; 10 pts
Eldritch Blasts: Ranged Damage 6 (Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]); 6 pts
Dragon Breath: Cone Area Fire Damage 5 (Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]); 1 pt
Mending: Healing 5 (Flaw: Affects Objects only, Unreliable [5 uses]); 1 pt
Sleep Spell: Ranged Cloud Area Affliction 3 (Resisted and Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Asleep, Extra: Area Cloud [15 ft radius], Cumulative, Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]); 1 pt
Detect Magic: Senses 5 (Detect Magic [Mental, Acute, Analytical, Ranged, Extended]); 1 pt
Telekinesis: Perception Ranged Move Object 3 (Extra: Perception, Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(5ep)

OFFENSE:
Initiative +1
Close Attack +5 [Unarmed +3; Claws +4, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +0
Magic +4 [Eldritch Blast +6]
Special Attack [Dragon Breath +5, Area Cone; Sleep Spell Affliction +3, Area Cloud; Telekinesis Move Object +3. Perception]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +3 [DC13] Parry +4 [DC14]
Toughness +6, Fortitude +5, Will +5

COMPLICATIONS:
Acceptance: Jobymme has been the subject of much prejudice because of his dragonborn lineage and he just wants to be accepted
Monstrous Appearance: Jobymme is an obvious dragonborn, making it difficult for him to blend into human society
Motivation: Becoming a great hero
Power Loss: Jobymme must be able to gesture to cast his spells

Abilities 32 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Advantages 6 + Powers 20 + Defenses 7 = 75 / 75

Comments: Jobymme is a Dragonborn mage, with his half dragon side being Red Alduvian. He and his mother led a rough life as she struggled to raise him amidst a mass of prejudice in his hometown. Still, thanks to her unconditional love and few good friends, he became a noble young man and dreamed of using his abilities to help anyone who might have suffered as he had. He has faced many challenges along the way but he has remained compassionate, with a pure heart and he remains undaunted in his quest to make a better world.

Jobymme and his two compatriots (coming up) hooked up with Arisema and her friends (one more coming up) fatefully as they were each in the thorp of Do, each drawn there by rumors of orc raid issues. Each group quickly developed a respect for each other and they decided to join forces to aid the town. They've been a single party ever since.

He is the most versatile member of the party, and the only one able to heal Barunn (Warforged tank, coming up next), which is very much needed since you have to keep the team tank going. He can fill in as tank for a bit, he can work ranged and he can goon sweep with his Dragon Breath and Sleep Spell. I really like how he came out and he’s the one member of this new party I am most looking forward to testing.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Another new Fantasy PC item is getting stocked on Aisle 22!

Whatever strength I have left, I will use to see that my friends live to see another day, even if I do not...

BARUNN

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 4, STAMINA 5, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 2, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE -1

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+6), Deception (-1), Expertise [Soldier] 5 (+5), Insight 1 (+2), Intimidation 4 (+3), Perception 3 (+4), Persuasion (-1), Stealth (+1), Technology 5 (+5)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Benefit (1) (Can take a full round Technology check [DC10] for healing), Diehard, Equipment (2), Fearless, Interpose, Second Chance (1) (Toughness Checks against Bludgeoning Damage), Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Armored Body: Protection 2, Impervious 2; 6 pts
Perfect Soldier: Immunity 19 (Life Support, Fatigue, Nausea, Paralysis, Sleep); 19 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(10ep)
Bastard Sword: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 4, Critical 19-20, Flaw: Inaccurate with one hand; 4ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +5
Close Attack +2 [Unarmed +4; Bastard Sword +8, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +0

DEFENSES:
Dodge +3 [DC13] Parry +3 [DC13]
Toughness +7 (+2 Impervious), Fortitude +6, Will +3

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: Warforged cannot heal damage on their own, they must be repaired by someone with magical construct knowledge
Emotionally Stunted: Warforged are often lacking in personality due their creation, but most ponder their existence and look for ways to fit into the world
Honor: Barunn is a man of his word
Motivation: Protecting his friends and ridding the world of the evil that led his race's creation
Relationships: He is honor bound to his friend Jobymme
Sink Like a Stone: Because of his more dense metal makeup, Barunn cannot swim

Abilities 24 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Advantages 10 + Powers 25 + Defenses 6 = 75 / 75

Comments: Barunn is a Warforged warrior that hooked up with Jobymme a little while back after he saved Jobymme from some townsfolk that wanted to “slay a dragon”. Jobymme in turn repaired Barunn’s wounds and the two of them have been inseparable ever since. They both are honorable men, but freaks to most, and that's what binds them more than any other members of the party.

I went for power with Barunn, with a +2/+8 cap swing. We'll see how that plays.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:50 pm

This next item is a BLACK LIGHT SPECIAL for Aisle 22!

Do not judge me by my lineage for while my blood flows dark, my heart is filled with the light of Avandra's love.

SISTER JHAELRYNA TUIN

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 0, STAMINA 1, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 2, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Close Combat [Swords] 3 (+5), Deception (+2), Expertise [Religion] 4 (+6) [Ritualist], Insight (+2), Intimidation (+2), Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion (+2), Ranged Combat [Bow] 4 (+6), Ranged Combat [Prayers] 2 (+4), Stealth 1 (+4), Treatment 2 (+4)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (1) (Uses Expertise [Religion] for Ritualist), Equipment (3), Languages (1) (Common, Elven, Base: Drow), Ritualist, Teamwork

POWERS:
Drow Sight: Senses 2 (Darkvision); 2 pts
Darkness: Burst Area Concealment 4 (Visual, Extra: Area Burst [30 ft radius], Flaw: Activation 2 [Standard Action], Unreliable [5 uses]); 4 pts
Holy Avenger: Feature 1 (All attacks have Holy descriptor); 1 pt
Prayer Array: 6 pt array; 10 pts
Ray of Faith: Ranged Damage 6 (Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]); 6 pts
Turning the Undead: Burst Area Radiant Damage 5 (Extra: Area Burst [30 ft], Linked, Flaw: Limited to Undead/Unholy), Burst Area Affliction 5 (Resisted by Undead Rank, 1st: Entranced, 2nd: Compelled, 3rd: Controlled, Extra: Area Burst [30 ft], Alternate Resistance, Linked, Flaw: Limited to Undead/Unholy only], Unreliable [5 uses]); 5 pts
Cure Wounds: Healing 6 (Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]; 1 pt
Bless: Luck Control 2 (Spend HP on other, Bestow HP on others, Extra: Luck (Improved Roll) 2, Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]); 1 pt
Create Food and Water: Create 3 (Extra: Continuous, Permanent, Flaw: Unreliable [5 uses]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(15ep)
Studded Leather Armor: Protection 2; 2ep
Holy Symbol: Feature 1 (Holy Spell Casting); 1ep
2ep for adventuring gear (rope, backpack, etc.)
Rapier: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 2, Critical 18-20; 4ep
Longbow: Piercing Ranged Damage 3; 6ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +3
Close Attack +2 [Unarmed +0]
Swords +5 [Rapier +2, Critical 18-20]
Ranged Attack +2
Prayers +4 [Ray of Faith +6]
Bow +7 [Longbow +3]
Special Attack [Turning +5, Area Burst]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7 [DC17] Parry +6 [DC16]
Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS:
Aloof: Even though she was raised to be different than the other Drow, she has their trademark aloofness
Motivation: Proving that she is not like other Drow and bringing light to the dark places of the world
Power Loss: She needs to be able to speak and use her holy symbol to cast her prayers
Prejudice: She is often shunned by other races who don't trust Drow, and she is a pariah among her race for her belief in "their pagan gods" and their non-Drow ways
Relationships: She dearly loves her parents, and she has formed a bond with Barunn and Jobymme
Temper: Sometimes her Drow nature gets the best of her and she can fly off the handle, although she works to control it
Vulnerable: Although she has generally adjusted to functioning in normal light, she is still vulnerable to light based effects, especially visual dazzles

Abilities 28 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Advantages 7 + Powers 17 + Defenses 14 = 75 / 75

Comments: I know, two "Sisters" in the same party, but I did it just for the repetitive hell of it. This Sister is a Drow who was raised by her parents to be different than other Drow, as they were cast out of their society. After spending time amongst devout human worshipers of Avandra that took them in, they came to reject the Drow ways and accept a better way of life.

Jhaelryna became a cleric of Avandra, learning martial skills, prayer spells, and also being tutored in the bow by her father, who was a great Drow warrior before being disgraced. And she being a restless spirit, decided she wanted to spread the word of Avandra and also see the world, so she left her friends and family and decided to become an adventurer. On her second day out in the world, she was accosted by some men who didn’t want to hear “the good word”, especially from a Drow. She would have been killed if not for Jobymme and Barunn, who happened to be coming through that way on their own journey. They easily took out the thugs and the three of them decided to travel together.

As a build, she came together well for the points and she should be a fine supporting character. Definitely needs Barunn, Jobymme and Arisema to do the bulk of the fighting while she sits back and heals them when they need it.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:56 pm

This item rounds out our PC run for now and it's a J-Mart Favorite item!

Fear not, my friends! A jaunty tune will soothe this savage beast! And-a-one, and-a-two...

BEAVER THE BARD

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 1, STAMINA 1, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 3, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Athletics (+1), Deception 6 (+9) [Taunt], Expertise [Performance] 6 (+7), Insight (+1), Intimidation (+3), Perception 2 (+3), Persuasion (+3), Stealth 2 (+5)

ADVANTAGES: Equipment (2), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative (1), Languages (2) (Arcane, Draconic, Elven, Goblin, Orc, Base: Common), Luck (Improve Roll) (2), Set-Up (1), Taunt

POWERS:
Theme Music: Feature 1 (You have a limited ability to generate a particular sound or sounds, such as the power to create your own “theme music” at will or to produce entertaining “sound effects” useful for a circumstance modifier on some interaction checks [particularly taunts]); 1 pt
Bardic Music: 10 pts Array; 11 pts
Song to Turn the Tide!: Luck Control 2 (You can spend a hero point or use Luck on another character’s behalf, with the normal benefits; You can bestow your hero point or use of Luck on others, Extra: Area Burst [30 ft radius], Selective); 10 pts
Oops, you did it again!: Luck Control 2 (You can spend one of your hero point or uses of the Luck advantage to negate someone else’s use of a hero point; You can spend a hero point or use Luck to force someone else to re-roll a die roll and take the worse of the two rolls, Extra: Perception Ranged Area Burst [30 ft radius]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(10ep)
Leather Armor: Protection 1; 1ep
Lute/Lyre/Fife: Feature 1 (Performing, baby); 1ep
4ep for adventuring gear (ropes, backpack, etc.)
Rapier: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 2, Critical 18-20; 4ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +7
Close Attack +3 [Unarmed +1; Rapier +3, Critical 18-20]
Ranged Attack +2

DEFENSES:
Dodge +8 [DC18] Parry +7 [DC17]
Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +5

COMPLICATIONS:
Goofy: Beaver tries to be taken seriously, but his comedic and often clumsy manner make it difficult
Impulsive: He sometimes makes rash and foolish decisions because "it seemed like a good idea at the time"
Motivation: Proving his doubters wrong and becoming the most famous Bard of all time
Power Loss: He has to be able to sing for his spells to work
Relationships: Arisema and his mother, who is the only one who believes Beaver can become something
Secret: He knows whose daughter Arisema is and is sworn to secrecy

Abilities 30 + Skills 8 (16 ranks) + Advantages 10 + Powers 12 + Defenses 15 = 75 / 75

Comments: Beaver the Bard was one of my actual D&D characters that I adapted to this new group of PCs I’d like run through adventures in my setting. I played him as a cowardly goofball (wasn’t really a stretch for me :wink: ) that avoided combat and focused instead of helping is teammates out. I didn’t have the points here to completely get him where I wanted him, but at least he can help out with the some Luck Control and Taunting Set-Up to be useful. As they acquire points, hopefully he become more sneakily effective as a Jack-of-all-trades type.

So that rounds out my next party of 6 PCs. What I would like to do with them (until I get bored) is run them through some basic stuff to test my monsters and such and to continue to get a better feel for things. I'm planning on doling out points and such and posting their updated versions underneath their original builds to show their progression. Hopefully they will move up a bit before my attention shifts back to modern stuff.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shop J-Mart!

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Post by luketheduke86 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:
JoshuaDunlow wrote:Hobgoblins became one of my favorites races in the new 3E when they changed them. It just made them that much more fun, and ended up making them a player race in my setting. In my eyes, they sorta replaced the Orc as something much cooler.
I third that. I think KenzerCo particularly did a great job handling them in their Kingdoms of Kalamar books.
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Woodclaw » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:55 am

Thorpacolypse wrote:I also think I might be underselling some of my monsters in PL, period, especially the solo monsters. I'm getting ready to start some testing with some new "starting" PCs that I am getting ready to post, so I might be making some changes. I used a lot of the general D&D to MnM conversion method that Jab, Prodigy Duck, Legend, scc and others have done for their fantasy stuff, but I think what I've done challenge-wise for a group of 4-6 PL5 PCs might be too easy.
The big challenge in balancing solo monsters is that the numerical superiority is often an underestimated factor. Having 4-5 people ganging up on a single target means that the target will suffer at least 4 times the damage, making him very unlikely to last long, unless it has a way to deal area effect.

As for using D&D. Well I tried, but I found that it doesn't work that well. M&M has a very different "level curve". A PL3 M&M character isn't the same as a Lv3 D&D character, which makes the balance more trickier.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Re: J-Mart: Ogre, Minotaur, Canines, Owlbear, New PCs

Post by Gazman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:56 pm

luketheduke86 wrote:
Thorpacolypse wrote:
I third that. I think KenzerCo particularly did a great job handling them in their Kingdoms of Kalamar books.
That and Darguun from Eberron.