J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Shifting gears, the J-Mart staff really wanted to post this (kinda) new item for Aisle 1!

Farewell, Peter Parker. Know this, I will carry on in your name. You may be leaving this world, but you are not leaving it to a villain. I swear. I will be Spider-Man. Better yet, with my unparalleled genius-- and my boundless ambition-- I'll be a better Spider-Man than you ever were. From this day forth, I shall become... the Superior Spider-Man! - Spider-Man (Otto Octavius/"Peter Parker")

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN (PETER PARKER/OTTO OCTAVIUS)
PL: 12 (246 pts) - OPL: 12 ; DPL: 12

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 8, STAMINA 7, AGILITY 12, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT 9, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Acrobatics (+12/+18) [Agile Feint], Athletics 2 (+10/+14), Close Combat [Unarmed] (+10/+14), Deception 6 (+8), Expertise [Photography] 1 (+10), Expertise [Radiation] 10 (+18), Expertise [Science] 7 (+16), Expertise [Streetwise] 3 (+12), Expertise [Teacher] 1 (+10), Insight (+4), Intimidation 10 (+12), Investigation 2 (+11), Perception 2 (+6/+14), Persuasion (+2), Ranged Combat [Web Shooters] 10 (+13), Stealth (+12), Technology 6 (+15) [Inventor]

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (3) (Wealth 3 [Millionaire]), Equipment (1), Inventor, Luck (Inspiration) (1), Power Attack

ENHANCED ADVANTAGES (SPIDER SENSES): Agile Feint, Defensive Strike*, Evasion (2), Move-by Action, Redirect, Takedown (1)

POWERS:
Spider-Senses: Enhanced Advantages 11 (see Advantages), Enhanced Skills 4 (Acrobatics 8 ranks), Enhanced Skills 2 (Perception 8 ranks, Flaw: Limited to Danger Sense checks), Enhanced Dodge 2, Enhanced Parry 2, Senses 6 (Danger Sense [Mental, Ranged, Extra: Extended 2, Counters Concealment]); 27 pts
Spider-Strength: Enhanced Strength 1 (12 Tons; Flaw: Limited to lifting), Enhanced Skills 2 (Athletics 4 ranks); 3 pts
Does Whatever a Spider Can: Leaping 2 [30 ft], Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 1), Speed 2 (8 mph); 8 pts
Superior Spider-Suit: 22 pts Traits, Removable (-4 pts); 18 pts
Carbonadium Plating: Protection 2; 2 pts
Superior Spider Lenses: Feature 1 (A.I.), Senses 3 (Tracking [Visual], Infravision, Communication Link [Radio, Spider-Bots]); 4 pts
Spider Claws: Slashing Strength-based Damage 1 (Extra: Split); 2 pts
Spider-Bots: Remote Sensing 14 (60 miles; Visual, Flaw: Medium [Spider-Bots]); 14 pts

Web Shooters: 38 pts traits, Removable (-8 pts); 30 pts
Web Swinging: Movement 1 (Swinging), Speed 4 (32 mph); 6 pts
Web Slinging: Ranged Affliction 9 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Strength/Damage; 1st: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless and Immobilized; Extra: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Split, Flaw: Limited [to 2 Degrees]); 28 pts
Web Throwing: Move Object 9; 1 pt
Webbing over the eyes: Ranged Affliction 9 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Strength/Damage; 1st: Visually Impaired, 2nd: Visually Disabled, 3rd: Visually Unaware, Extra: Cumulative, Flaw: Limited to one sense [Visual]); 1 pt
Web Nets: Ranged Shapeable Area Movement 1 (Safe Fall, Extra: Affects others, Area Shapeable [30 ft volume], Attack, Quirk: Requires anchor); 1 pt
Web Objects: Create 6 (Extra: Continuous, Stationary, Tether, Flaw: Permanent, Quirk 2 [No complex objects, Stationary requires anchor]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(5ep)
Mini-Tracer: Feature 1 (Tracking, 5 Mile range), Miniscule; 2ep
Extra Web Fluid Canisters: Feature 1 (Can eliminate Web Fluid Power Loss Complication at GM discretion); 1ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +12
Close Attack +14 [Unarmed +8; Claws +9]
Ranged Attack +3
Web Shooters +13 [Web Slinging +9; Web Lifting Move Object +9; Web Objects Create +6]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +15 [DC25] Parry +15 [DC25]
Toughness +9, Fortitude +9, Will +11

COMPLICATIONS:
Arrogance: Otto always has, and always will be very arrogant and overconfident in his superior intellect, which can be his downfall
Enemy: Green Goblin, Sandman, Mysterio, Electro, The Chameleon, The Kingpin, Mr. Negative, Rhino, Kraven, The Lizard and on and on...
Guilt: Otto-Peter still has great guilt over the death of his Uncle Ben and he still tries to make up for it every day. And also for the death of Gwen Stacy
Pete’s Still in the Game: A piece of Peter’s essence remains in his mind and even though he can only exert minor influences, he can keep Otto from going too far. Sometimes
Power Loss: Some strong strains of the flu, a radiation drain or just his own mental state can cause Otto-Peter lose his powers. If he does, his stats change to STR 2, STA 2, AGL 2, DEX 1, and FGT 3
Power Loss: Those web shooters seem to run out of fluid at the most inopportune times
Relationships: With access to all of Peter’s memories, Otto has the same emotional attachments to Mary Jane, Aunt May, Gwen Stacy and the memory of his beloved Uncle Ben
Responsibility: Even Otto now realizes that with great power comes great…
Secret Identity: He has his secret identity of Peter Parker which he guards fiercely thanks to his Rogues' Gallery
The BIG Secret: Otto has successfully avoided being detected inside Peter’s mind but some of Peter’s closer friends like Carlie Cooper and those with enhanced senses, like Daredevil and Wolverine are suspicious.
Superiority: Otto is out to prove that he is a better Spider-Man than Parker could ever be, but that sometimes comes with consequences he can’t forsee

Abilities 110 + Skills 30 (60 ranks) + Advantages 19 + Powers 74 + Defenses 13 = 246 / 246

Comments: So like most people, I really didn’t want to like the new Superior Spider-Man. If you’ve been under a rock for the past few months, you might have missed that in the final issue of Amazing Spider-Man, the bad guy won. Doc Oc succeeded in switching his mind with Peter Parker’s, placing himself in Pete’s body and Peter’s essence in his dying body. Just before Octavious’ body expired, Pete was able to get Doc to access all of Peter’s memories and with that, he realized that there was a reason that Spider-Man always won against him and why the world needed a Spider-Man. So Otto decided to carry on Peter’s mission, but with his own style and become the SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN.

I swore I wouldn’t read it, but I had to see what Dan Slott had in mind. And I was WRONG to doubt him. He has been killing it in writing Spider-Man the past few years and now and he’s still killing it. He dropped a bomb at the end of the first issue, showing Peter’s “ghost” sticking around in Otto’s head, unbeknownst to Otto (until the most recent issue, anyway), exerting minor influence and getting the tortutous duty of watching Otto go out with Mary Jane and live his life…well, better, in many ways. He’s added to Peter’s tech, built more marketable stuff for Horizon Labs, actually let Mary Jane go so she could be safe (something Peter admitted he could never do), figured out how to spend more time with Aunt May and is even going back to school to get Peter his doctorate since he cannot STAND not being referred to as Doctor. It’s good stuff.

He also built Spider-bots, like his old Octo-bots, and sent them across the city to keep an eye on things and report back to him so that he can be more proactive, and focus his time better. He’s even become an ally of J. Jonah himself, enough that they build a Spider-Signal (take that DC!), although it didn’t last long. It’s been really, really good. It’s neat watching Otto really trying to become a good guy, despite all he’s done, and watching Peter see that maybe he wasn’t right all the time and maybe he could have done more. And knowing that Peter will be back at some point makes that change more palatable and enjoyable. Otto has enhanced Spidey’s rep in some ways and is ruining it in others, which will make for more interesting stories when Pete’s eventually back in control. I highly recommend it.

And to add one more thing, I applaud Marvel for taking chances and actually allowing some of their characters to change. As much as I love Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, they are always pretty much Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Sure Cap is Cap, yes, Grayson filled in as Batman for a while (we won’t go into the Az-Bat stuff) but if you look at the past few years, Cyclops, Wolverine, Banner/Hulk and now Spidey have changed a LOT. Some hits, some misses, sure, but allowing characters to actually grow and develop over 40-50 years of continuity is something I think you have to do keep things fresh, bring in new readers, and give existing readers something new to look at. I thought finally giving Peter a decent life as Peter during the whole Big Time Spider-Man run was great after all those years of him never being able to get a break and now with this, even more opportunities open up. And they didn’t even have to give him poison stingers this time!
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart: Daryl Dixon, Superior Spider-Man

Post by JoshuaDunlow » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Wow is all I can say.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Fri May 03, 2013 7:35 pm

The concept of the "Superior" Spiderman irks me.

Peter has been doing his best, sacrificing everything in his life to fight the good fight and then not only is he killed off but the bad guy basically lives his life better than he could.
*sigh*

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Fri May 03, 2013 11:20 pm

Yeah, the first issue was pretty great, and I plan on collecting it in trades (only so much shelf-space, so I collect in trades when I can :)). I LOVE the overall concept of the villain taking over the hero's body, especially for such a long storyline- it's the kind of new idea that comics really needs.

BigStereotype
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by BigStereotype » Sat May 04, 2013 12:46 am

Arkrite wrote:The concept of the "Superior" Spiderman irks me.

Peter has been doing his best, sacrificing everything in his life to fight the good fight and then not only is he killed off but the bad guy basically lives his life better than he could.
*sigh*
It's supposed to irk you. It's supposed to stir up controversy. It's a neat little idea and it obviously won't last so why sweat it?
I am in love with Annie Edison

Follow me on twitter! @Big_Stereotype

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Sat May 04, 2013 8:36 am

I grew up reading Spiderman. Spiderman was my favorite character as a kid, and the hero I wanted to be. Peter Parker kind of feels like an old friend as a result.

So seeing Marvel do this to him just eats at me a little.

Apparently it's a well written and interesting comic. Apparently two of the biggest names in the Roll Call section really like it. I'm willing to take it on their word it's probably a well written and interesting read.

I just don't know that I like the message that's coming across in this move.

It's my opinion, I'm allowed to have it. I won't be grabbing a pickfork and lighting any torches, or signing any petitions, but I don't care for it.

Of course this does make me wonder if somebody in charge at Marvel doesn't like Peter Parker... They killed him off in the Ultimate Universe and now in their normal universe.
Hrmm.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Sat May 04, 2013 8:54 am

That should fairly answer your question, Arkrite.

Also, Page Branson and his webcomics, AWESOME!!!!! :D
Impeach the peach!

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman » Sat May 04, 2013 11:30 am

Arkrite wrote:I grew up reading Spiderman. Spiderman was my favorite character as a kid, and the hero I wanted to be. Peter Parker kind of feels like an old friend as a result.

Apparently it's a well written and interesting comic. Apparently two of the biggest names in the Roll Call section really like it. I'm willing to take it on their word it's probably a well written and interesting read.

It's my opinion, I'm allowed to have it. I won't be grabbing a pickfork and lighting any torches, or signing any petitions, but I don't care for it.

Of course this does make me wonder if somebody in charge at Marvel doesn't like Peter Parker... They killed him off in the Ultimate Universe and now in their normal universe.
Hrmm.

If it helps Arkrite, I totally agree with you on this one.

Feels kind of like a smack to an older reader's face in a way. But I figure it will pass soon enough, I'm glad folks like it and all but it just doesn't sit well with me.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by kenmadragon » Sat May 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Personally, I have mixed feelings on the idea. I haven't exactly read Superior Spiderman (yet!) so I can't exactly say whether or not the writing or plot is good, but the idea is rather intriguing. Of course, it does suck that Pete's sorta 'dead', but given how this is still a comic book, I have my doubts on whether that 'death' is permanent. Sort of like with Jason Todd, where they kill him off, but it turns out not to be permanent as he is brought back as Red Hood. Personally, I'm actually glad it was Otto who ended up in Pete's body, mostly because Otto seemed to me like the villain with the most potential for good. Plus, from what I gather, Pete is, as Thorp says, "Still in the Game". So it's not like Pete's completely gone, and given the whole 'hero death in comics tend to temporary' trope about, I'm betting that Pete comes back and reestablishes himself as the superior and dominant mind in their now shared body. My bet is some powerful telepath in Marvel (not sure which) might come into contact with Otto/Pete, and have a good old fashioned superhero team up, and suspect something is terribly wrong (maybe Otto refuses a telepathic link so they could talk during the fight or something). The telepath figures it out, and gets other peoples' help to bring Pete back. Another idea is that Otto goes too far, and Pete's essence begins to fight back in earnest, and maybe ends out on top.

Really, who knows for now, but let's just enjoy the ride for now, and see what happens. I know that when I finally get my hands on an issue or two of Superior Spider Man, I will.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by kenseido » Sat May 04, 2013 2:10 pm

One of the things to remember is that it looks easier for the villian, but eventually they will always fail. Doc Ock might look like he's doing better at the beginning, but its only because he doesn't really care about people. Eventually, it all will catch up with him and he will fail. You can't fake being a hero.

Now I say this without having read comics in years - or intending to read them. It just seems that has always been the formula. The villian appears to win, starts taking his victory lap, and then things start to break down because he's a villian.

Spidey was my first regular comic, so I understand what everyone is saying, Hopefully, they have something planned to give a really good payoff. Something that makes it all worth it.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

BigStereotype
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by BigStereotype » Sat May 04, 2013 3:27 pm

Arkrite wrote:I grew up reading Spiderman. Spiderman was my favorite character as a kid, and the hero I wanted to be. Peter Parker kind of feels like an old friend as a result.

Hrmm.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying you've gotta like it. I'm just saying that this is a storyline specifically meant to bother people. But I just started reading it and, while it's not the greatest Spidey book ever, it's an interesting take. And it's funny reading Spider-man rant like a mad scientist. He still talks as much trash, he's just less jokey and more sneering and condescending.

I'm reading it like an alternate universe storyline, especially because they're making it super obvious that Pete's going to force Octavius out of his mind eventually. That's what I meant by don't sweat it - Pete will be back within the year.

And I know what you mean about Spidey feeling like an old friend, I feel the same way. I've been reading Spider-man since I was born and I think he's probably the most endearing character ever.
I am in love with Annie Edison

Follow me on twitter! @Big_Stereotype

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sat May 04, 2013 6:10 pm

Hrmm.
No, you're not allowed to have an opinion here at J-Mart. Read the fine print. :wink:

All kidding aside, I don't blame you one bit for feeling like you do. And knowing how you feel, you REALLY shouldn't read issue #9. :shock:

kenseido wrote:One of the things to remember is that it looks easier for the villian, but eventually they will always fail. Doc Ock might look like he's doing better at the beginning, but its only because he doesn't really care about people. Eventually, it all will catch up with him and he will fail. You can't fake being a hero.

Now I say this without having read comics in years - or intending to read them. It just seems that has always been the formula. The villian appears to win, starts taking his victory lap, and then things start to break down because he's a villian.

Spidey was my first regular comic, so I understand what everyone is saying, Hopefully, they have something planned to give a really good payoff. Something that makes it all worth it.
The thing about Slott's writing of Ock, is that your first point really looked like it was going to be the way of things, but I'm not sure that Ock doesn't really see himself as, or at least really WANTING to be a hero. He's arrogant, and his lack of empathy really showed in the first few issues but once he saved a little girl with one of his own inventions and his medical skills, she gave him her most prized possession and he was truly touched. It seemed like a switch really flipped, at least in some way. But then again, right after that, he realized a little bit of Pete was still in his mind and he needed to kill it off, so I guess there's still a bit of work to be done there... :wink:
Shop J-Mart!

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by kenmadragon » Sat May 04, 2013 6:26 pm

Tell me when an issue comes out where the two are engaged in some sort of psychic battle like I predict. That should be fun to read. :D

BARON
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by BARON » Sat May 04, 2013 6:28 pm

The whole ock/spidey switch has proven to be a very compelling story hook. Marvel leaves a bad taste in my mouth these days by being a bit scatter brained so I still can't read it. :lol:

Maybe one day there will be a coherent collection of superior spidey stories that I can sink my teeth into. I'll finally get to enjoy it.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sat May 04, 2013 6:33 pm

kenmadragon wrote:Tell me when an issue comes out where the two are engaged in some sort of psychic battle like I predict. That should be fun to read. :D
That would be Issue #9. The battle for Peter's brain is ON. 8)

I felt like a jerk because I was catching up and I read #8 and I planning on going to the shop to get #9, but I couldn't get there and I couldn't wait, so I got it on my iPhone. I'm trying to stay loyal to my local shop, but curse those digital comics, they are just so damn easy to get...

Shop J-Mart!