J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Re: J-Mart: LADIES' WEEK - Pink Pearl, Javelynn, Livewire

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Valid points, gentlemen. Volcana's voice was Peri Gilpin from Frazier and she does indeed have a fantastic bedroom voice. I'm not as familiar with Inque.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Devastation Bob
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: J-Mart: LADIES' WEEK - Pink Pearl, Javelynn, Livewire

Post by Devastation Bob » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:13 am

Those two episodes of Superman TAS with Volcana and Livewere just struck me as mad libs with firepowers substituted for electricity powers.
We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we, Wang? --Jack Burton

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

869-870

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:19 pm

We're ending LADIES' WEEK with a TWO-FOR-ONE SPECIAL on Aisle 1!

Dick Grayson continues to be one of the luckiest dudes in the world. Even his villain chicks are all over him...

Comments: Double Dare are some Nightwing villains that I really hope they bring back in the New 52. Like Nightwing, they grew up acrobats in the circus. However, where he became a crime fighter, they became master thieves. The cool thing about them is that they stole from everyone, including Blockbuster and other bad guys that wanted to shut them down, and I think they even gave a lot of their ill-gotten gains away. They were in it for the thrill.

As a pair, they can give Dick lots of trouble, especially because their styles are so similar and the girls work so well together. They’re fun street level anti-villains to play with.
DOUBLE DARE (MARGOT MARCEAU)
PL: 8 (135 pts) - OPL: 8 ; DPL: 8

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Acrobatics 12 (+18) [Agile Feint, Skill Mastery, Up the Wall], Athletics 11 (+13), Close Combat [Unarmed] 6 (+12), Deception 7 (+9/+11) [Attractive], Expertise [Performance] 9 (+10), Expertise [Thievery] 10 (+11), Insight 5 (+7), Intimidation (+2), Perception 5 (+7), Persuasion 3 (+5/+7) [Attractive], Sleight of Hand 9 (+13), Stealth 7 (+13), Technology 10 (+11)

ADVANTAGES: Agile Feint, Attractive (1), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (1), Defensive Strike* (1), Evasion (1), Grabbing Finesse, Improved Defense, Improved Trip, Languages (1) (English, 1 other, Base: French), Leadership, Move-by Action, Redirect, Skill Mastery (1) (Acrobatics), Teamwork, Up the Wall*

POWERS:
NONE

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +6
Unarmed +12 [Unarmed +2]
Ranged Attack +4

DEFENSES:
Dodge +13 [DC23] Parry +13 [DC23]
Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Blockbuster and the other villains they've stolen from
Fame: They are well known circus performers in addition to being international thieves
Rivalry: With Nightwing, and kind of with each other in regards to who should get to date him (as if)
Thrills: Both of them are hooked on the thrill of their shows and their dangerous lifestyle

Abilities 50 + Skills 47 (94 ranks) + Advantages 16 + Powers 0 + Defenses 22 = 135 / 135

Comments: Margot is the big sister, more serious and with slightly better skills and Advantages.
DOUBLE DARE (ALIKI MARCEAU)
PL: 8 (130 pts) - OPL: 8 ; DPL: 8

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 6, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Acrobatics 12 (+18) [Agile Feint, Skill Mastery, Up the Wall], Athletics 11 (+13), Close Combat [Unarmed] 5 (+11), Deception 6 (+8/+10) [Attractive], Expertise [Performance] 9 (+10), Expertise [Thievery] 10 (+11), Insight 4 (+5), Intimidation (+2), Perception 4 (+5/+7) [Attractive], Persuasion 3 (+5), Sleight of Hand 9 (+13), Stealth 7 (+13), Technology 10 (+11)

ADVANTAGES: Agile Feint, Attractive (1), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (1), Defensive Strike* (1), Evasion (1), Grabbing Finesse, Improved Defense, Improved Trip, Languages (1) (English, 1 other, Base: French), Move-by Action, Redirect, Skill Mastery (1) (Acrobatics), Teamwork, Up the Wall*

POWERS:
NONE

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +6
Close Attack +6
Unarmed +11 [Unarmed +2]
Ranged Attack +4

DEFENSES:
Dodge +13 [DC23] Parry +13 [DC23]
Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +5

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Blockbuster and the other villains they've stolen from
Fame: They are well known circus performers in addition to being international thieves
Rivalry: With Nightwing, and kind of with each other in regards to who should get to date him (as if)
Thrills: Both of them are hooked on the thrill of their shows and their dangerous lifestyle

Abilities 48 + Skills 45 (90 ranks) + Advantages 15 + Powers 0 + Defenses 22 = 130 / 130

Comments: Little sister Aliki (with the long hair) is just as physically talented as her sister, just a little less polished and a bit more impulsive.
Secret Origins: Double Dare consists of a pair of sisters, Aliki & Margot Marceau (the short-haired Margot is the elder sister by four years). They are thieves who are also the star acrobatic performers of the travelling Cirque Sensationnel, using their acrobatic skills to commit their crimes

The Story so Far: Although they primarily work out of Paris, they seem to be infatuated with Nightwing and bothered him occasionally in Blüdhaven after incurring the wrath of the city's crime lord Blockbuster with their thievery.

Characterization: The Double Dare are definitely in for the thrill. They greatly enjoy their game of stealing, welcoming worthwhile opposition. They do not like fighting - although they will vigorously defend themselves, they do not look for pointless fights. Likewise, they do not seem to consider the stolen money very important, and will not worry much if they lose it due to an opponent’s action. It is possible that they habitually give it away to charities.

Although they are thieves, the Double Dare do not consider themselves criminals - in Blüdhaven, they were specifically hitting criminal concerns in lieu of more legal concerns like banks. Presumably they sought higher risk, less police heat and lower risk of superhuman vigilante involvemen

Friends and Foes: They have made many enemies because of their thievery, but mainly they are infatuated with Nightwing, especially Aliki.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Re: J-Mart: Pink Pearl, Javelynn, Livewire, Double Dare

Post by scc » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:41 pm

Nice Double Dare! I have been meaning to build them for second edition. Fun characters.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by kenmadragon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Heh. They are their own rivals in love...Man, if only they weren't evil, I might find myself envying Nightwing's position! :lol:

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:09 pm

scc wrote:Nice Double Dare! I have been meaning to build them for second edition. Fun characters.
Me, too. I never got around to them in 2E, but as I did a review of the DC builds I wanted to hit in 3E that didn't make the DCA books, they were near the top. Doesn't hurt that I picked up those 3-4 issues they debuted in off the 50 cent rack the other day, too, so they were on my mind.
kenmadragon wrote:Heh. They are their own rivals in love...Man, if only they weren't evil, I might find myself envying Nightwing's position! :lol:
That's why Grayson is da pimp of the DCU. Even the girls that want to kill him dig him! 8)

And trust me, Kenma, never write off an evil girl. They make not make great long term girlfriends, but for the short term... :wink:
Shop J-Mart!

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by kenmadragon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:
kenmadragon wrote:Heh. They are their own rivals in love...Man, if only they weren't evil, I might find myself envying Nightwing's position! :lol:
That's why Grayson is da pimp of the DCU. Even the girls that want to kill him dig him! 8)

And trust me, Kenma, never write off an evil girl. They make not make great long term girlfriends, but for the short term... :wink:
Yeah, but after that short term...Well, then every encounter with them afterward is awkward, and given how they are evil... things could get nasty. *runs through imaginary scenarios following the short term evil girlfriend, then shudders as simulation leads to painful agonizing death following fates much worse than death*

But yeah, they do make interesting plot ideas - hero has to seduce the villainess, but should never actually make them their actual girlfriend. String them on, and have them aid the hero... I think the idea is well presented and done in that old manga, Magic Kaito.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: 869-870

Post by saint_matthew » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:Dick Grayson continues to be one of the luckiest dudes in the world. Even his villain chicks are all over him...
Thats not always a good thing: Lets us not forget what happened to Mr Grayson under the pen of Devin Grayson.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

871-873

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:28 pm

We've got a THREE-FOR-ONE SPECIAL for Aisle 1! And it's pretty WONDERFUL...

Wonder Twin Public Service Announcement. Words to live by...

Comments: Ah, the Wonder Twins. I’m never quite sure I felt about them. They were kinda lame at times, but really, they have a pretty cool power set. They started out as the teen sidekicks to the Super Friends in the second season of the show, replacing Marvin, Wendy and Wonderdog. I love that some writers that have introduced them all into main continuity have made a bit of the rivalry between the trios because of that. Anyway, I was reading up on them and originally they were going to make them able to shift into any form, but they thought that would have made the main heroes obsolete. So Jayna can shift into animal and Zan can shift into water/ice forms. Poor Zan got the raw end of the deal.

But from a 70's icon standpoint, just about any of us baby boomer/Gen X types can appreciate a WONDER TWIN POWERS, ACTIVATE! joke and Family Guy has had some great fun with them. Their intro where they homage that second season intro is spot on and I love how they deal with the Wonder Twins...

Super Friends Intro

JAYNA
PL: 9 (138 pts) - OPL: 9 ; DPL: 9

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 0, STAMINA 1, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+6), Deception (+1), Expertise [Animal Sciences] 8 (+10), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidation (+1), Investigation 2 (+4), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 4 (+5), Stealth 2 (+5), Technology 5 (+7), Vehicles 2 (+4)

ADVANTAGES: Animal Empathy, Defensive Roll (2), Languages (2), Teamwork

POWERS:
Sibling Bond: Senses 1 (Communication Link [Mental, Zan]), Enhanced Advantage 1 (Ultimate Effort [Will, Flaw: Requires physical contact with sibling]); 2 pts
Form of…!: Variable 10 (50 pts traits; Animal forms/traits); 70 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +3
Close Attack +4
Unarmed +6 [Unarmed +0]
Ranged Attack +2

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 [DC16] Parry +6 [DC16]
Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Alien: She and her brother are obvious aliens and sometimes have difficulty blending into Earth society
Motivation: The Wonder Twins are determined to assist Earth's heroes and use their powers for the benefit of all mankind
Power Loss: Both she and her brother must say the name of the form they wish to take
Relationships: Gleek and her brother, Zan
Sibling Bond: The Wonder Twins must be able to have physical contact with each other to activate their powers
Underestimated: A lot people underestimate the Wonder Twins all the time, yet they always seem to come out on top in the end…

Abilities 30 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Advantages 6 + Powers 72 + Defenses 14 = 138 / 138

Comments: Jayna is the smarter of the two and got the better end of the shapeshifting powers. She can turn into any animal she knows and in the comics, she even turned into a Kryptonian animal strong enough to deal with Superman. She's not doing that in the Thorpacoverse, but she can definitely hold her own with moderate threats.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZAN
PL: 9 (135 pts) - OPL: 9 ; DPL: 9

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Athletics 3 (+5), Deception (+1), Expertise [Physical Sciences] 8 (+8), Insight (+1), Intimidation (+1), Investigation 3 (+3), Perception 3 (+4), Persuasion (+1), Stealth 2 (+4), Technology 4 (+4), Vehicles 5 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Defensive Roll (1), Languages (1) (English, Interlac, Base: Exxorian), Teamwork

POWERS:
Sibling Bond: Senses 1 (Communication Link [Mental, Jayna]), Enhanced Advantage 1 (Ultimate Effort [Will, Flaw: Requires physical contact with sibling]); 2 pts
Shape of…!: Variable 10 (50 pts traits; Water/Ice/Air forms/effects); 70 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +5
Ranged Attack +2

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 [DC16] Parry +6 [DC16]
Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +6

COMPLICATIONS:
[Alien: He and his sister are obvious aliens and sometimes have difficulty blending into Earth society
Impulsive: Zan can be quite impulsive and reckless, leading the Twins into tricky situations
Motivation: The Wonder Twins are determined to assist Earth's heroes and use their powers for the benefit of all mankind
Power Loss: Both he and his sister must say the name of the form they wish to take
Relationships: Gleek and his sister, Jayna
Sibling Bond: The Wonder Twins must be able to have physical contact with each other to activate their powers
Underestimated: A lot people underestimate the Wonder Twins all the time, yet they always seem to come out on top in the end…

Abilities 32 + Skills 14 (28 ranks) + Advantages 3 + Powers 72 + Defenses 14 = 135 / 135

Comments: Zan's the goofier of the twins and has the shapeshifting power that gets made fun of the most. But in again, in the comics, he could turn into ice storms and such, which can be pretty handy in a team setting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GLEEK
PL: 5 (79 pts) - OPL: 5 ; DPL: 5

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 0, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 4, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Acrobatics 6 (+10) [Agile Feint], Athletics 5 (+5), Close Combat [Tail] 5 (+9), Insight (+2), Perception 2 (+4), Stealth (+4)

ADVANTAGES: Agile Feint, Equipment (1), Grabbing Finesse, Languages (1) (English, Interlac, Base: Exxorian), Move-by Action, Prone Fighting, Set-Up (1), Teamwork

POWERS:
Space Monkey Size: Shrinking 4 (-1 Str, +2 Dodge/Parry, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation, Speed -1, -1 Mass; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 9 pts
Space Monkey Senses: Senses 2 (Low-light Vision, Scent [Acute]); 2 pts
Expert Climber: Enhanced Skills 4 (Athletics 8 ranks, Flaw: Limited to climb checks); 2 pts
Super Tail: Extra Limbs 1 (Prehensile Tail), Elongation 2 (30 ft, Flaw: Limited to tail), Enhanced Advantages 3 (Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Trip), Enhanced Strength 3 (400 lbs, Flaw: Limited to lifting with tail); 6 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(5ep)
Buckets…don't know where he keeps them, but he always has a bucket…

OFFENSE:
Initiative +4
Close Attack +4 [Unarmed +0]
Tail +9 [Tail Unarmed +0]
Ranged Attack +2

DEFENSES:
Dodge +8 [DC18] Parry +8 [DC18]
Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS:
Addiction: Bananas
Disability: Gleek cannot speak any real languages, even though he understands several
Not from this Earth: Being a blue monkey makes it pretty obvious he's not from around here
Relationships: The Wonder Twins
Rivalry: Blip…oh, how he wants to show that Blip who the main space monkey is

Abilities 30 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Advantages 8 + Powers 19 + Defenses 13 = 79 / 79

Comments: And Gleek, maybe the actual smartest of the team. He was able to understand the Twins and the other Super Friends fine, but he couldn't speak the language back. And his tail got them all out of trouble several times so don't underestimate him.
Shop J-Mart!

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Re: J-Mart: WONDER TWIN POWERS, ACTIVATE!

Post by Sidious » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:31 am

I smell a space monkey throw down coming!
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:42 pm

The best thing about Zan was, in the television show, whenever he took on the "Form of Water!", a bucket also appeared so Jayna could tote him around in her "Form of an Eagle!"

Where did the bucket come from? Who cares? It was classic Saturday Morning Cartoon goofiness.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by catsi563 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:53 pm

I loved the JLU versions of them in the Ultimen episodes. They took a couple of basically joke characters and turned them into serious and interesting ones.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:30 pm

Sidious wrote:I smell a space monkey throw down coming!
Hmmm...I've had Jan, Jayce and Blip on my todo list for a while. I think we need to re-enact one of the greatest pics ever:

:)
Shop J-Mart!

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Wow. Every time I take a closer look at that picture, my mind bleeds a little bit more. I should stop now.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Horsenhero wrote:The best thing about Zan was, in the television show, whenever he took on the "Form of Water!", a bucket also appeared so Jayna could tote him around in her "Form of an Eagle!"

Where did the bucket come from? Who cares? It was classic Saturday Morning Cartoon goofiness.
I made sure Gleek had Equipment points for buckets for sure. I almost made it a Create power because he always seemed to have a bucket to carry Zan but where the hell did he keep it? :shock:

catsi563 wrote:I loved the JLU versions of them in the Ultimen episodes. They took a couple of basically joke characters and turned them into serious and interesting ones.
Those were great. I also loved the fact that they only had Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman, the original Super Friends lineup opposing them. And having Batman throw in an "old chum" was brilliant. 8)

Speaking of who the Ultimen homaged/parodied...
Shop J-Mart!