J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:03 pm

J-Mart is continuing it's run down memory lane with a few items that take us back to those early days of political correctness. Check out this new item for Aisle 1!

Inyuk Chuk!

APACHE CHIEF
PL: 12 (144 pts) - OPL: 12 ; DPL: 12

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 4 [18], STAMINA 4 [18], AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Athletics 4 (+8), Deception (+1), Expertise [Magic] 4 (+5), Expertise [Survival] 6 (+7), Insight 5 (+9), Intimidation (+1), Perception 5 (+9), Persuasion 5 (+6), Ranged Combat [Throwing] 3 (+5), Stealth (+2)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Animal Empathy, Extraordinary Effort, Languages (1) (Apache, 1 other, Base: English), Teamwork, Tracking

POWERS:
Inyuk Chuk!: Growth 20 (+20 Str, +20 Sta, -10 Dodge/Parry, -20 Stealth, +10 Intimidation, Speed +2, +20 Mass, Reach 5 [25 ft], Quirk: Limited to +14 Str and Sta), Burst Area Damage 12 (Extra: Area Burst [30 ft radius], Flaw: Limited to when at Growth 12+); 51 pts
Apache Will: Immunity 10 (Mental Effects, Flaw: Limited to half effect); 5 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +6 [Unarmed +4; Full Growth Unarmed +18]
Ranged Attack +2
Throwing +5
Special Attack [Giant Swipe +12, Area Burst]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +12 (+2 with Full Growth) [DC22/DC14] Parry +12 (+2 with Full Growth) [DC22/DC14]
Toughness +4 (+18 with Full Growth), Fortitude +4 (+18 with Full Growth), Will +6

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Giganta
Honor: Apache Chief has a strict code of honor
Power Loss: He must be able to say his magic words in order to utilize his powers ,

Abilities 48 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Advantages 6 + Powers 56 + Defenses 18 = 144 / 144

Comments: That’s right folks. It’s time for the Affirmative Action Superfriends!

See, in the 70’s, political correctness was is in infancy and it worked it’s way into the comic world big time then. Several Black superheroes got their starts then, but on top of that, when the Super Friends show took off, there was concern that there were no minority heroes on the team. So a couple of seasons in, they created Apache Chief, El Dorado, Black Vulcan (when Black Lightning was already in the DCU, but apparently there were rights issues with his creator, Tony Isabella), Samurai and Rima the Jungle Girl to add diversity to the team. Generally, they all kinda sucked but as we've all noted, it was good goofy 70's fun and man, have those characters and the Wonder Twins become pop culture icons for their suckiness.

I'm starting this run with my personal fave, Apache Chief. Basically he could grow to gigantic size once he said his magic phrase. I probably overpowered him, but he was a rival to Giganta and she's PL12 in the DCA book so Chief had to be at least the same. He even grew to like 10 times Earth size one episode, but that seemed like a weeeeeeeee bit of a plot device. I also wonder how he was able to not kill everyone in the US when he foot was the size of North America. It's best not to overthink it...

I could go on about his ability to grow, but I think these clips from the Harvey Birdman episode he was in says it all. In the episode, the Chief gets hot coffee spilled on his lap and therefore loses his ability to...um, grow. But in the end, the Chief got his tee pee back! :wink:

Apache Chief Saves the Day!

The Chief gets his tee pee back!
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart: The Wonder Twins, Apache Chief

Post by Jabroniville » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:31 pm

My favourite "SuperFriends" moment was when they needed to get across some molten-hot lava. Jayna turns into an Octopus (because of their famous ability to be lava-resistant, I guess), and Zann turns into ICE STILTS so that she can WALK ON THEM ACROSS THE LAVA. Predictably, this turns out about as well as you would expect ("WTF Jayna, the lava is MELTING THE ICE? WHO SAW THAT ONE COMING??"). Silly... Silly show.

The show is probably the #1 reason pop culture views Aquaman himself as an utter joke, and why nobody will ever take the character seriously outside of our silly little world. And for that I thank it :).

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:09 pm

BLACK LIGHT SPECIAL on Aisle 1!

Pure Electricity...in my pants...

BLACK VULCAN
PL: 10 (157 pts) - OPL: 10 ; DPL: 10

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 6 (+8), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+8), Deception (+1), Expertise [Physical Sciences] 4 (+5), Insight (+1), Intimidation (+1), Perception 5 (+6), Persuasion (+1), Ranged Combat [Electrical Control] 7 (+10), Stealth (+3)

ADVANTAGES: Defensive Attack, Favored Environment (Flying), Improved Initiative (1), Move-by Action, Teamwork

POWERS:
Living Outlet: Features 1 (You can power electrical devices as if you were a battery or standard electrical outlet simply by touching or holding the device or its power cord); 1 pt
Static Electricity: Features 1 (You can generate enough static electricity to move small objects within arm’s reach, weighing no more than a pound [weight rank –5] or so); 1 pt
Human Spot Welder: Features 1 (You can do spot-welding by touch, like an arc-welder. This may also be a capability of Precise Electrical Damage effects); 1 pt
Human Defibrillator: Features 1 (You can act like a defibrillator to treat heart attack victims, automatically stabilizing their condition); 1 pt
Hot Wire: Features 1 (Similarly, you may be able to jump start or reset an incapacitated construct with an electrical system); 1 pt
Electrical Immunity: Immunity 10 (Electrical Effects); 10 pts
Electromagnetic Field: Protection 7 (Flaw: Sustained); 7 pts
Pure Electricity…In My Pants: Flight 11 (4000 mph); 22 pts
Electrosense: Senses 3 (Detect Electricity, Ranged, Acute); 3 pts
Electrical Control: 30 pt Array; 32 pts
Chain Lightning: Electrical Ranged Damage 10 (Extra: Multiattack); 30 pts
Lightning Flash: Perception Area Cumulative Affliction 10 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Impaired, 2nd: Disabled, 3rd: Unaware, Extra: Range [Perception], Area Burst [30 ft area], Flaw: Limited [to Vision]); 1 pt
Arclight: Environment 3 (Light; 120 ft radius); 1 pt
Shock Field: Affliction 6 (Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Incapacitated, Extra: Action [Reaction], Cumulative); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +7
Close Attack +6 [Shock Field Affliction +6]
Unarmed +8
Ranged Attack +3
Electrical Control +10 [Chain Lightning +10, Multiattack]
Special Attack [Lightning Flash Affliction +10, Perception]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +9 [DC19] Parry +8 [DC18]
Toughness +10, Fortitude +8, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Vulnerable: Black Vulcan's powers can be nullified by water effects, and he is susceptible to water-based effects

Abilities 40 + Skills 13 (26 ranks) + Advantages 5 + Powers 80 + Defenses 19 = 157 / 157

Comments: Ah, Black Vulcan. Pure Electricity…in his pants. God, Harvey Birdman was awesome. Let’s have another clip that features Black V…I mean, Superbolt!

His First Time...
Shop J-Mart!

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Re: J-Mart: The Wonder Twins, Apache Chief, Black Vulcan

Post by Spectrum » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:45 am

Any idea on why they didn't go with the remarkably similar Black Lightning?

Grayson
Compatriot
Compatriot

Post by Grayson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:18 am

Spectrum wrote:Any idea on why they didn't go with the remarkably similar Black Lightning?
Apparently there was some sort of issue between DC and the creator of the Black Lightning character.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:27 am

Never underestimate the power of rights issues- it's why we'll never see a DC book called "Captain Marvel", and why it took thirty years to FINALLY get a "Black Lightning" action figure (and why the character vanished for years)- Isabella owning the rights led to DC basically changing ALL of the side-media versions of the character. That's what happens when people try to mess with the big corporations in the 1970s & '80s. Nowadays, creators are more likely to know the deal and get less uppity over their role in things, which is why you see less original creations and more retro stuff (ie. "why should I create a new character if I'll own none of the rights?") and fewer big-time blow-ups between creators and management.

There's some info on it here: http://ohdannyboy.blogspot.ca/2011/01/o ... black.html

Basically, Isabella gets a higher royalty for uses of the character in other media, and to get around it, DC just rips off the character for Soul Power & Black Vulcan and the like. I didn't realize that creators got royalties for characters they'd created, however.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:08 am

Jabroniville wrote:Basically, Isabella gets a higher royalty for uses of the character in other media, and to get around it, DC just rips off the character for Soul Power & Black Vulcan and the like. I didn't realize that creators got royalties for characters they'd created, however.
Thats because most don't.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:20 pm

I thought so, too, which is why this part confused me:
Another interesting aspect to the story surrounds the deal that Tony Isabella struck with DC for Black Lightning in the first place. According to the deal each time DC use the character they have to pay Tony a royalty. This is a standard practice for comic books and has been for years, if not decades now, but Tony managed to negotiate a higher rate than standard if Black Lightning is spun off into another medium, say a cartoon series, television or movies. Most established characters that Marvel and DC own don’t fall under this rule as they were created under different circumstances in different times (this also explains why Nightcrawler was absent from the third X-Men movie, as Marvel found themselves in a situation where they would have had to pay Dave Cockrum for the rights to use the character, a situation that did not exist for the first two movies and the early cartoon shows), but the deal explains why Black Vulcan appeared in the Superfriends cartoon series and not Black Lightning.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Strip Search is a PVP Online version of a talent show focusing on.. web comic artists. Not normally a series I watch, but this ep really goes into some of the screw jobs that artistic types go through.

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Earth-Two_Kenn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:52 pm

Jabroniville wrote:My favourite "SuperFriends" moment was when they needed to get across some molten-hot lava. Jayna turns into an Octopus (because of their famous ability to be lava-resistant, I guess), and Zann turns into ICE STILTS so that she can WALK ON THEM ACROSS THE LAVA. Predictably, this turns out about as well as you would expect ("WTF Jayna, the lava is MELTING THE ICE? WHO SAW THAT ONE COMING??"). Silly... Silly show.

The show is probably the #1 reason pop culture views Aquaman himself as an utter joke, and why nobody will ever take the character seriously outside of our silly little world. And for that I thank it :).
Someday I'm going to assemble all of the clips from the first two seasons of "Super Friends" (the Wendy and Marvin season and "All New") where Aquaman was clearly exhibiting his tremendous strength (i.e. doing something other than talking to fish) and post them on You Tube. Just to prove that he did do more on Super Friends than talk to fish.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:
Jabroniville wrote:My favourite "SuperFriends" moment was when they needed to get across some molten-hot lava. Jayna turns into an Octopus (because of their famous ability to be lava-resistant, I guess), and Zann turns into ICE STILTS so that she can WALK ON THEM ACROSS THE LAVA. Predictably, this turns out about as well as you would expect ("WTF Jayna, the lava is MELTING THE ICE? WHO SAW THAT ONE COMING??"). Silly... Silly show.

Someday I'm going to assemble all of the clips from the first two seasons of "Super Friends" (the Wendy and Marvin season and "All New") where Aquaman was clearly exhibiting his tremendous strength (i.e. doing something other than talking to fish) and post them on You Tube. Just to prove that he did do more on Super Friends than talk to fish.
Thank you, Earth-Two Kenn. There is to be NO Aquaman bashing on this here thread, Jab! We aspire to a higher calling:

PYM BASHING!!! :twisted:
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Check out this new item for Aisle 1 as we continue our stroll down Super Friends Memory Lane!

The Legendary Warrior...

SAMURAI
PL: 10 (165 pts) - OPL: 10 ; DPL: 10

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 4, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Acrobatics 3 (+7), Athletics 5 (+7), Close Combat [Swords] 4 (+12), Deception (+1), Expertise [Samurai] 6 (+7), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidation (+1), Perception 3 (+5), Persuasion (+1), Stealth 4 (+8)

ADVANTAGES: Accurate Attack, Close Attack (2), Defensive Roll (3), Improved Disarm, Languages (1), Ranged Attack (5)

POWERS:
Breezy: Feature 1 (You can create small gusts of wind, roughly equal to a –5 rank Move Object effect; able to scatter small, light objects, ruffle hair or clothing, blow off hats, and so forth); 1 pt
Wind Hearing: Feature 1 (You ignore the effects of wind noise on your Perception checks to hear things, as if the sound did not exist); 1 pt
Air Supply: Immunity 2 (suffocation, Flaw: Sustained); 2 pts
Whispering Wind: Communication 1 (Auditory, Air; 100 ft range), Subtle 1; 5 pts
Tornado Flight: Flight 7 (250 mph); 14 pts
Air Control: 40 pt Array; 45 pts
Tornado: Cylinder Area Move Object 10 (Extra: Area Cylinder [30 ft cylinder], Damaging); 40 pts
Deflecting Winds: Deflect 10 (Extra: Burst Area [30 ft radius], Flaw: Limited to Physical Projectiles); 1 pt
Aerokinesis: Move Object 12 (Extra: Damaging); 1 pt
Air Form: Concealment 4 (Visual), Insubstantial 2 (gaseous); 1 pt
Air Burst: Ranged Burst Area Affliction 10 (Resisted/Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Incapacitated, Extra: Area Burst [30 ft radius]); 1 pt
Blinding Gust: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 12 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Fortitude; 1st: Visually Impaired, 2nd: Visually Disabled, 3rd: Visually Unaware, Extra: Cumulative, Flaw: Limited to Vision); 1 pt[/i]

EQUIPMENT:
NONE,

OFFENSE:
Initiative +4
Close Attack +8 [Unarmed +2]
Swords +12
Ranged Attack +8 [Aerokinesis +12]
Special Attack [Tornado Move Object +10, Area Cylinder; Air Burst Affliction +10, Area Burst; Deflecting Winds +10, Area Burst]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +12 [DC22] Parry +12 [DC22]
Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +9

COMPLICATIONS:
Honor: The bushido code (we think)
Power Loss: He needs to be able to speak his mystic words in order for his powers to work

Abilities 44 + Skills 14 (28 ranks) + Advantages 13 + Powers 68 + Defenses 26 = 165 / 165

Comments: Kaze no yo...ni hayaku!

Samurai was the Asian hero picked for the team. Although his name was Samurai, he never really did any samurai stuff, he had air control based powers. He was pretty effective, though, so I over-pointed him a bit to give him some oomph.
Shop J-Mart!

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:34 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:Thank you, Earth-Two Kenn. There is to be NO Aquaman bashing on this here thread, Jab! We aspire to a higher calling:

PYM BASHING!!! :twisted:
*sniff* I love this thread.

mageofthesands
Henchman
Henchman

Re: J-Mart: Apache Chief, Black Vulcan, Samurai

Post by mageofthesands » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:44 pm

You leave Janet alone! :(

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: J-Mart: Apache Chief, Black Vulcan, Samurai