J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart: MANUARY! Barry MANilow, Stan THE MAN Lee

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:02 am

Some of my best friends are vegan. Of course they also happen to be horses, but that's beside the point. :lol:

As for Stan...hey, his absolute egotism and unstoppable enthusiasm have helped propel comics from this weird little niche to front and center in the public consciousness. As my brother would say, you have to have the right "tool" for the job.

Finally, on the subject of Chuck, he also predicted Texas would secede if Barack Obama were elected President of the US, so try not to read too much into either his insight or influence. Know what I mean?

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:27 am

You know, a lot of people...

You mean, 3-4?

Yes, Randal, "a lot" may have been a stretch.

Like Mister Fantastic stretchin', G!

O...K...anyway, people have been talking about what the criteria is to be part of MANUARY. And I felt, as the CEO of J-Mart, that I should let everyone know. It's a complex system, but I think if everyone just opens their minds, thinks back to their Psychology classes in high school or college, reads Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand and watches the original Dirty Dozen, you'll be able to comprehend it. So here we go:

You have to be a character with MAN somewhere in your name/nickname.

I know, I know, it's complex, but I think if you really break it down, it's a comprehendible system. And I don't think any of our upcoming specials will represent what this system is about more than this new item that item also becomes part of our top selling JOB SQUAD line!

Yep...this guy landed some punches against Batman. All hail the Golden Age.

KITE MAN
PL: 7 (94 pts) - OPL: 7 ; DPL: 7

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Acrobatics 3 (+5), Athletics (+2), Deception 5 (+5), Expertise [Criminal] 3 (+5), Insight (+1), Perception 4 (+5), Ranged Combat [Guns] 4 (+6), Sleight of Hand 2 (+4), Stealth (+2), Technology 3 (+5), Vehicles 8 (+10)

ADVANTAGES: Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (19), Favored Environment (Flying)

POWERS:
[Born to Fly: Enhanced Dodge 2 (Flaw: Limited to when flying), Enhanced Parry 2 (Flaw: Limited to when flying), Enhanced Skills 2 (Acrobatics 4 ranks, Flaw: Limited to when flying); 3 pts
Jet Powered Kite: 10 pts Traits, Removable (-2 pts); 8 pts
Kite Flight: Flight 5 (60 mph/900 fpr); 10 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(95 pts)
Helmet and Costume: Protection 1; 1 pt
Kite Arsenal: (19 pts)
Mini Kite Blaster: Ranged Multiattack Piercing Damage 6, Flaw: Diminished Range (10/25/50); 17 pts
Kite Blades: Slashing Strength-based Damage 2, Split, Enhanced Advantage (Improved Defense); 1 pt
Kite Storm: Cloud Area Affliction 7 (Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Visually Impaired, 2nd: Visually Disabled, 3rd: Visually Unaware, Extra: Cloud Area [15 ft radius], Cumulative, Flaw: Limited to one sense [Visual]); 1 pt
Vehicles: (72 pts)
Kite Drones (6): Size - T, Str - -3, Flight - 3, Def - 10, Tough - 1, Features - Camera, Microphone, Remote Control, Taser (Ranged Damage 3, Flaw: Dimished Range 2 [5/10/25]); 12 pts; 72 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +4 [Unarmed +2; Kite Blades +4]
Ranged Attack +2
Kite Gun +6 [Mini Kites +6, Multiattack]
Special Attack [Kite Storm Affliction +7, Burst Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7 (+9 when flying) [DC17/19] Parry +7 (+9 when flying) [DC17/19]
Toughness +5 (+2 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS:
Enemy: Batman
Ludicrous: He's Kite Man…
Motivation: Greed

Abilities 30 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Advantages 22 + Powers 11 + Defenses 15 = 94 / 94

Build Comments: Is there anything more MANLY being a world class jobber? I don’t think so. Behold the suckiness that is Kite-MAN!

I probably WAY overpowered him at PL7, but he’s really only PL6 on offense but can go to around PL8 on defense with his Favored Environment. I’m good with that because he’s the type of sucky villain that should escape a lot and live to get pwned another day.

I was torn on how to do the Kite Drones. He certainly doesn’t deserve a Summon power, or Minions really so I just overpaid a bit for Vehicles and called it good.

Secret Origins: Charles “Chuck” Brown, the man who would become Kite-Man began his life as young boy who was fascinated by kites, so much that they influenced his future alter ego.

The Story so Far: He originally came into conflict with Batman and Robin, as he was helping criminals escape prison, with the use of his jet powered hang glider, before being defeated by Batman who utilized his own kites to defeat his foe. Following this defeat he battled Batman once again when he attempted to betray the thugs he had hired, only once again to be defeated by The Dark Knight.

Following his battles with Batman and Robin, Kite-Man attempted to steal the Golden Eagle, an invaluable treasure, only to be confronted by Hawkman, Hawkgirl. and Zatanna, before he was defeated by crash landing into a nearby tree. Following this Kite-Man wasn't seen until he showed up in the villain friendly country of Zandia, even becoming a part of a sports team, and ultimately battling the superhero forces that attempted to invade the country.

During the Infinite Crisis, Kite-Man was thrown off of Wayne Tower by Deathstroke without his kite glider following his refusal to join the Secret Society. But miraculously Kite-Man survived the fall and recently turned up in Dallas where he was beaten (severely) by Deadpool, even though Deadpool was mostly doubled over in hysterical laughter the entire time.

Characterization: He’s Kite-Man..

Friends and Foes: Kite-Man is seen as a joke even amongst jobber villains, but that hasn’t stopped him from tangling with The Batman on a number of occasions. With no success, of course.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart: MANUARY! MANilow, Stan THE MAN Lee, Kite MAN

Postby Jabroniville » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:40 pm

Hah- he's so Jobbery I can't believe they ever even thought to use him! Those COULDN'T have been serious stories, could they have? I mean, look at that picture of him throwing KITES at Batman & Robin by USING A PAIR OF STAND-UP FLOOR FANS. "Holy Control Bar, Batman! Those kites are flying towards us upright at FIVE MILES PER HOUR!!!"

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:12 pm

Avoiding going on a rant about Atlas Shrugged because I'm already near my quota of daily political ranting...

If it's a case of 'man' being part of the name, how about Manly Wade Wellman?

Alternate to that, maybe a LensMAN?
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:25 pm

Jabroniville wrote:Hah- he's so Jobbery I can't believe they ever even thought to use him! Those COULDN'T have been serious stories, could they have? I mean, look at that picture of him throwing KITES at Batman & Robin by USING A PAIR OF STAND-UP FLOOR FANS. "Holy Control Bar, Batman! Those kites are flying towards us upright at FIVE MILES PER HOUR!!!"

I thought you would appreciate his suckiness. I had to take some liberties to avoid him getting one-shotted every time.

Narsil wrote:Avoiding going on a rant about Atlas Shrugged because I'm already near my quota of daily political ranting...

He could go on the list. Anyone who touts himself as MANLY should get some props. 8)
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:34 pm

Well, I just told my wife I was listening when I obviously wasn't and then she asked me what I was thinking and I replied "nothing". And I was really thinking about NOTHING! Guess I'm feeling MANLY now to drop another MANUARY special!

When you post Kite Man before him, ol' Wilbur here doesn't look quite as silly, now does he?

STILT-MAN
PL: 8 (103 pts) - OPL: 8 ; DPL: 8

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 5, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Athletics (+5), Deception 3 (+4), Expertise [Criminal] 2 (+5), Insight (+1), Intimidation (+1), Perception 2 (+3), Persuasion 2 (+3), Ranged Combat [Weapon Systems] 4 (+6), Stealth (+3), Technology 5 (+8)

ADVANTAGES: Move-by Action

POWERS:
Stilt Man Armor: 62 pts Traits, Removable (-15 pts); 47 pts
Armor: Protection 6, Impervious 4; 14 pts
Servos: Enhanced Strength 4, Enhanced Agility 1; 10 pts
Self-Contained Environment: Immunity 7 (All Environmental Conditions, Suffocation); 7 pts
Non-Stick Exterior: Immunity 5 (Entrapment Effects); 5 pts
Leg Stilts: Elongation 5 (250 ft, +5 Grab; Flaw: Limited to Legs), Speed 4 (30 mph/500 fpr); 7 pts
Weapon Systems: 16 pt Array; 19 pts
Particle Blaster: Ranged Energy Damage 8; 16 pts
Stun Gas: Ranged Affliction 8 (Gas; Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Incapacitated); 1 pt
Stun Gas Grenade: Cloud Area Affliction 8 (Gas; Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Incapacitated, Extra: Area Cloud [15 ft radius]); 1 pt
Leg Ram: Strength-based Damage 4, Extra: Accurate; 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +3
Close Attack +5 [Unarmed +5; Stilt Leg Kick +9]
Ranged Attack +2
Weapon Systems +6 [Stun Gas Affliction +8; Particle Blaster +8]
Special Attack [Stun Gas Grenades +8, Cloud Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 [DC16] Parry +6 [DC16]
Toughness +8 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude +6, Will +5

COMPLICATIONS:
Ludicrous: He's Stilt-Man…
Motivation: Wilbur is always looking for that big score and the respect that he feels that he deserves…and will never get…
Relationships: He was married to Princess Python for a while, but after he died, she moved on. He hasn't. He also has a surprising number of allies in the supervillain community and a number of "Oh, Wilbur, not again…" pity supporters in the superhero community

Abilities 34 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Advantages 1 + Powers 47 + Defenses 12 = 103 / 103

Build Comments: Keeping with this jobber run for MANUARY I had to give mad props to a MAN I can’t believe I’ve never worked up. How can you not love the lameness that is Stilt-MAN?!?!? The Punisher may have whacked him in real continuity, but he’s back in the Thorpacoverse. I’ll pick another jobber or ten for Frank to kill off to make up for it.

Secret Origins: Wilbur Day was a scientist who was employed by Carl Kaxton, who invented a hydraulic ram device. Wilbur stole Kaxton's designs and used them to engineer a pair of extremely long, telescopic metal legs, which allowed him to tower high over the ground as the super-villain called Stilt-Man. In his first criminal outing, he battled Daredevil, resulting in him accidentally being hit by an experimental molecular condenser ray which shrunk him into near nothingness.

The Story so Far: He was once saved by the Masked Marauder and teamed up with him to kidnap the Nelson and Murdock law firm employees. After fighting Spider-Man he went to fire a ray gun as he was standing in water and shorted out his electrical systems leaving him unconscious and ready to be picked up by the police. However he was rescued by the super-villain Electro and joined his Emissaries of Evil. Their plan was as a team to defeat Daredevil but in turn were defeated themselves.

When his armor was stolen by a small-time crook named Turk, Day contacted Daredevil and informed him of a weakness in the armor. Thanks to Day's information, Daredevil easily disabled the auto-gyroscopes necessary for the armor to keep its balance and brought Turk down. Day later modified the armor to prevent Daredevil for using this new found knowledge against him. Stilt-Man continued to make sporadic appearances wherein he continued his criminal career and fought several superheroes, but without much success.

When Daredevil's secret identity of Matt Murdock was exposed by a local newspaper, Wilbur visited the law offices of Nelson and Murdock, announcing he was sick of the whole ordeal and that he was retiring as Stilt-Man. He left his armor in a suitcase on Murdock's desk, and was forcibly removed when he began yelling his paranoid conclusion that Murdock was the real Kingpin. Murdock then jokingly asked his law partner, Foggy Nelson, if he'd like to be the next Stilt-Man, an offer he quickly declined.

Day did not stay in retirement for long, however. During the Civil War, he was killed by the Punisher. After his death, many super-villains held a wake for him at a Bar with No Name where it was revealed he had married Princess Python. Day's funeral was held in the Bar With No Name, and was attended by his fellow also-rans of the crime world. Sadness turned to remembrance, which turned into high spirits, which eventually led to a full-scale fight breaking out. The appearance of Spider-Man put an end to the violence, but the bar was then promptly blown up by the Punisher in an attempt to kill all the villains inside. It was later mentioned that "they all had to get their stomachs pumped and be treated for third-degree burns."

Day's death became a cause célèbre for an anti-technology anarchist terrorist cell who called themselves the Bastard Sons of Wilbur Day, despite Spider-Man pointing out that their beliefs and goals had very little to do with anything Day had believed.

However, this was not the end for Stilt-Man. During the Brightest Day event, Wilbur was returned to life. He felt the need to go straight but after being shunned by his ex-wife Zelda, he went back to a life of crime.

Characterization: He’s Stilt-Man. No more needs to be said.

Friends and Foes: He’s actually well thought of in the supervillain and generally within the superhero community for general lack of a killer instinct. He has had a long rivalry with Daredevil and occasionally Spider-Man. He also wants revenge on The Punisher for killing him.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Postby Gazman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:38 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:Image
When you post Kite Man before him, ol' Wilbur here doesn't look quite as silly, now does he?

That's the beauty of comics. No matter how losery and ridiculous Stilt Man is (extremely), there's always someone even more losery and ridiculous (usually from Golden or Silver Age DC).

With regards to Stan The Man, my favorite aspect of his self promotion was from Stan Lee's Superhumans. Every episode started with Daniel Browning Smith explaining that he was on a mission from Stan because OF COURSE Stan Lee has the authority to send people on international missions.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: J-Mart: MANUARY! Stan THE MAN Lee, Kite MAN, Stilt MAN

Postby kenmadragon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:50 pm

My only question is how a guy like that managed to win the affectations of a gal like Princess Python and got married to her in the first place?!?

That, and one would assume an Immunity to Entrapment Effects protected one from something like Marriage... Marriage would be considered an Entrapment effect, right? Or was Wilbur caught in the Effect without his armor on? :lol:

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:25 am

Gazman wrote:That's the beauty of comics. No matter how losery and ridiculous Stilt Man is (extremely), there's always someone even more losery and ridiculous (usually from Golden or Silver Age DC).

I'd like to pretend its restricted to the Golden or silver age but alas I can't.... Lady Stilt Man.... Need I say more? :lol:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:43 am

Thorpacolypse wrote:
Narsil wrote:Avoiding going on a rant about Atlas Shrugged because I'm already near my quota of daily political ranting...

He could go on the list. Anyone who touts himself as MANLY should get some props. 8)

That's actually his first name. He doesn't have to tout himself as Manly, because his manliness is listed on his birth certificate.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:55 pm

saint_matthew wrote:
Gazman wrote:That's the beauty of comics. No matter how losery and ridiculous Stilt Man is (extremely), there's always someone even more losery and ridiculous (usually from Golden or Silver Age DC).

I'd like to pretend its restricted to the Golden or silver age but alas I can't.... Lady Stilt Man.... Need I say more? :lol:

Lady Stilt Man? Sounds like somebody has gender identification issues. :lol:

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:37 pm

Narsil wrote:
Thorpacolypse wrote:

That's actually his first name. He doesn't have to tout himself as Manly, because his manliness is listed on his birth certificate.

I should have read the link closer. That's even MORE awesome!
Shop J-Mart!

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Re: J-Mart: MANUARY! Stan THE MAN Lee, Kite MAN, Stilt MAN

Postby scc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:03 pm

Kite Man! Stilt Man! I wish every month was Manuary....well sorta. Great stuff!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:53 pm

It should also be noted that we have another criteria to be part of the MANUARY run. Characters that exhibit an extreme amount of MANLINESS. MANLINESS that cannot be denied. Since I swore I would never post a build of myself (for now :wink:) as an example of this type of criteria, I will go with the MAN that this type of run was made for!

Get ready to throw some red meat on a fire, pop open a beer and prepare for the epic MANLINESS of...

Ann was getting too chummy...

Vegan bacon...

Behold, the Swanson Pyramid of Greatness!

I was born ready...I'm Ron #$%$%#@ Swanson.

RON SWANSON
PL: 5 (83 pts) - OPL: 5 ; DPL: 5

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+5), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+7), Deception (+2), Expertise [America] 4 (+5), Expertise [Government] 4 (+5), Expertise [Grilling] 4 (+5), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidation 10 (+12) [Startle], Investigation , Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion 2 (+4), Ranged Combat [Guns] 3 (+5), Stealth 2 (+4), Vehicles 2 (+4)

ADVANTAGES: Diehard, Equipment (6), Extraordinary Effort, Inspire (1), Leadership, Startle, Tough* (2)

POWERS:
Made of Finer Stuff: Immunity 3 (Disease, Intoxication, Poisons, Flaw: Limited to half effect); 2 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(30 pts), At least one firearm and/or claymore are at his disposal at all times
Buick Park Avenue: Size - L, Strength - 6, Speed - 5, Def - 8, Tough - 9; 11 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +5
Unarmed +7 [Unarmed +3]
Ranged Attack +2
Guns +5

DEFENSES:
Dodge +5 [DC15] Parry +5 [DC15]
Toughness +5 (+3 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +4

COMPLICATIONS:
Addiction: He does love his scotch quite a lot
Ego: He's Ron Swanson. Deal wth it
Enemy: Both of his ex-wives named Tammy, Jamm, the government
Hatred: Vegetables, weak-willed men and there's only one bad word: Texas
Man out of Time: Ron doesn't really care what's going on in the world so most pop culture references are lost on him
Patriotism: There's only one country that matters, and that's America. If you want to experience other cultures, use an atlas or a HAM radio
Plot Device: Sometimes Ron's awesomeness cannot be contained by a power level
Relationships: Despite his desire not to get chummy with people, he will occasionally go out of his way to assist his co-workers, especially April who he is a father figure to. He also loves his current wife Diane and her daughters
Secret: He doesn't like to share any of his personal information for fear of it falling into the wrong hands. He lists his birthday as "springtime" and threw his computer in the trash once he saw that Google Earth could pinpoint his house

Abilities 40 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Advantages 13 + Powers 2 + Defenses 8 = 83 / 83

Build Comments: He’s Ron Swanson.

I think that says it all.

OK, I’ll go on for just a little pointlessly. I am a late comer to the Parks and Recreation party but I started watching it on Esquire last week and I am TOTALLY into it now. I want to stream from episode 1 on Netflix when I have more time, but I’ve watched 7-8 episdoes from Season 1 and 2 and all I can say is that Ron Swanson is my idol. I don’t agree with all his views, but his love of red meat and desire to tear down the government and just being a MAN are awesome.

I feel like I went too low on his PL, but really, for a reality based show, he’s pretty much as alpha male as you need. Especially with the weirdos in that show. I’ll drop some more builds as I watch more episodes.

I’d go on more, but Ron wouldn’t like that. No need to ramble on. Just check out the clips if you’re not familiar and tell me he’s not what MANUARY was meant for!
Shop J-Mart!

BlindPugh
Compatriot
Compatriot

Re: J-Mart: MANUARY! Kite MAN, Stilt MAN, Ron Swanson

Postby BlindPugh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:55 am

Kite Man, Stilt Man, Stan 'The Man', Manuary is the greatest month of the year! You know, the Yancy Street Gang are pretty manly guys,
When realities collide- Quicksilver With thanks to Tatooedman.
Shadow war- Bill Sakowski
Toronto's greatest heroes- Green Ronin

Return to “Roll Call”