J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Re: J-Mart 3E: PC Birds of Prey, Wasp, Tigra

Postby Woodclaw » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:07 am

Horsenhero wrote:The Hornet? Is that how his Yellow Jacket identity gets translated outsid the U.S.? I've never had an opportunity to pick up a comic in Europe, so I wouldn't know...but, now I'm intensely curious.

Sorry I got little sleep and I messed up with names. But here in Italy the last identity of Hank was called Calabrone which in english is "Hornet".
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:24 pm

Woodclaw wrote:
Horsenhero wrote:The Hornet? Is that how his Yellow Jacket identity gets translated outsid the U.S.? I've never had an opportunity to pick up a comic in Europe, so I wouldn't know...but, now I'm intensely curious.

Sorry I got little sleep and I messed up with names. But here in Italy the last identity of Hank was called Calabrone which in english is "Hornet".

I just hope they translated "Pym sucks" properly. :wink:
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:31 pm

Thanks for all the props on LADIES' NIGHT, guys! But we can't rest our laurels here at J-Mart, we must move on to our next special, which is in honor of Tim Allen's iconic 90's catchphrase: MORE POWER!! And we start off at the top of the J-Mart line for MORE POWER! (at least at the moment) with this BLACK LIGHT SPECIAL!

He's like every woman's dream: buff, rich, powerful and never says a word...

BLACK BOLT
PL: 18 (351 pts) - OPL: 18 ; DPL: 13

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 7 [11], STAMINA 9, AGILITY 5, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 11, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 5, PRESENCE 5

SKILLS: Acrobatics 4 (+9), Athletics 5 (+12/+16), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+13), Deception (+5), Expertise [Aristocracy] 11 (+13), Insight 6 (+11) [Assessment], Intimidation 5 (+10), Perception 5 (+10), Persuasion (+5), Stealth (+5), Technology 5 (+7), Vehicles 3 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Assessment, Benefit (6) (Status, Wealth, Resources 5 – King of the Inhumans), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Initiative (1), Inspire (2), Languages (2) (Kree, Sign Language, 3 others, Base: English), Leadership, Lionheart*, Power Attack, Ranged Attack (7)

POWERS:
Inhuman Physiology: Protection 3, Immunity 7 (Environmental Heat, Environmental Cold, Radiation, Pressure, Vacuum, Suffocation), Feature 1 (Longevity), Speed 1 (4 mph/60 fpr); 12 pts
Soulmate: Sense 1 (Communication Link [Mental; Medusa]); 1 pt
Flight: Flight 8 (500 mph/1 mpr); 16 pts
The Voice: 126 pt Array; 128 pts
Whisper Cone: Cone Area Sonic Damage 18 (Extra: Cone Area 6 [1800 ft cone], Duration [Sustained]); 126 pts
Whisper Burst: Burst Area Sonic Damage 18 (Extra: Burst Area 6 [1800 ft radius], Duration [Sustained]); 1 pt
Stunning Whisper: Cone Area Affliction 18 (Sonic; Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Impaired, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Incapacitated, Extra: Area Cone 6 [1800 ft cone], Duration [Sustained]); 1 pt

Shout: Features 1 (Extraordinary Effort for +2 ranks on Whisper Cone or Whisper Burst); 1 pt
Electron Mastery: 26 pt Array; 30 pts
Electron Blast: Ranged Energy Damage 13; 26 pts
Master Blow: Bludgeoning Strength-Based Damage 8 (Extra: Dangerous 2, Penetrating 10, Flaw: Tiring); 1 pt
Electron Strength Enhancement: Enhanced Strength 4, Enhanced Strength 1 (100 Tons; Flaw: Limited to Lifting); 1 pt

Electron Manipulation: Create 9 (Electron Objects; Extra: Movable, Tether); 1 pt
Electron Force Field: Protection 4, Impervious 5 (Extra: Affects Others, Flaw: Sustained); 1 pt[/i]

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +9
Close Attack +11 [Master Blow +15, Critical 18-20]
Unarmed +13 [Unarmed +7; Enhanced Strength Unarmed +11]
Ranged Attack +11 [Electron Blast +13; Electron Manipulation Create +9]
The Voice [Whisper +18, Burst/Cone Area; Stunning Whisper +18, Cone Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +12 [DC22] Parry +12 [DC22]
Toughness +12 (+16 with Force Field, +5 Impervious with Force Field), Fortitude +11, Will +15 (+17 vs. Fear Effects)

COMPLICATIONS:
Accident: If he is not careful with his voice, he can destroy a lot more than he intends.
Disability: He cannot speak unless he needs to use his powerful voice, otherwise he must communicate with sign or body language.
Enemy: Vulcan, Maximus the Mad (sometimes).
Power Loss: If he loses his tuning fork, he can completely lose or lose control of his powers.
Relationships: His wife Medusa, the Inhuman Royal Family.
Responsibility: The Inhuman race.
Weakness: The Inhumans are all vulnerable to pollutants and toxins if not given a weekly dose of serum.

Abilities 96 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Advantages 24 + Powers 188 + Defenses 20 = 351 / 351

Build Comments: I didn’t really get Black Bolt as a cool character until my geek rebirth about 10 years ago. When I read comics in the 70s and 80s, I just didn’t think the Inhumans were all that. As I have gotten older, I find them fascinating. Especially their silent leader, Blackagar Boltagon. Granted, Vulcan took him out (and himself) in War of Kings, but he’ll be back. You can’t keep a good electron manipulator down.

I am quite proud of myself with this build for the simple reason that I made him technically playable at 15 pts per rank, as recommended. Granted, I had to add the Inhuman royal family as Sidekicks to do so, but still, it counts. I had to make him PL20 for his voice to work the way I wanted, which was a pure cone as opposed to a targeted area cone like I did in 2E. Outside of that, he’s about a PL13 offensively with the Master Blow and defensively a PL12, which felt about right. If he keeps his mouth shut, he can still hang with just about anyone but if he speaks, it’s all over but the shouting, pun intended…

Secret Origins: Black Bolt was born to two of Attilan's top geneticists, Agon, head of the ruling Council of Genetics, and Rynda, director of the Prenatal Care Center. Subjected to the mutagenic Terrigen Mist while still an embryo, Blackagar was born with strange powers surpassing even the Inhumans' norm. As an infant, he demonstrated certain energy-manipulative abilities which he could not yet control, particularly that of producing quasi-sonic energy of great destructive potential. To protect the community, he was placed inside a sound-proofed chamber and given an energy-harnessing suit. There he was schooled in the art of controlling his powers until the age of nineteen, when he was permitted to enter society.

The Story so Far: A month after being awarded his freedom, Black Bolt discovered his younger brother Maximus in the process of making a treacherous pact with emissaries of the alien Kree. Attempting to stop the Kree ship before it escaped, Bolt used the forbidden power of his quasi-sonic voice to knock the ship out of the sky. When the ship crashed to Earth, it landed on the parliament, killing several key members of the Council of Genetics, including his parents. The reverberations of his brother's shout affected Maximus's sanity and suppressed his nascent mental powers. Despite his guilt and silent protests, Black Bolt was obligated to accept the mantle of leadership of the Inhumans at age twenty.

Black Bolt led the Inhumans through some of the most turbulent times in their history, including several more attempts by Maximus to usurp the throne, revolts by the worker class, attacks by human renegades, the kidnapping of his brothed, Medusa, the destruction and rebuilding of Attilan, the revelation of the Inhuman existence to humanity, and several more relocating of Attilans. Following the traditionally lengthy period of betrothal, Black Bolt and Medusa were wed.

Black Bolt while unaware and surprised, was ambushed by the Skrull Empire and taken captive by the Skrulls where he was held prisoner aboard the Skrull Battleship Ryb'ik. The Skrulls planned to use his quasi-sonic scream as the their deadliest and most powerful weapon. A Skrull began impersonating Black Bolt.
During this time, the Hulk, embittered over being placed into exile on the planet Sakaar, returned to this star system and attacked the Skrull impostor who he believed was Black Bolt because of his role in the Hulk's exile. Even though this "Black Bolt" was able to knock the Hulk back at first, the Hulk got back up and savagely beat him. Hulk enslaved him with a slave disk and forced him to fight as a gladiator. Later, the Illuminati discovered the Skrull impostor among them. Black Bolt was rescued by Medusa and the Inhuman Royal family, and returned to Attilan to co-rule with Maximus.

He then took aggressive counteraction against the Skrulls, and deployed Maximus-designed inventions to tap into his quasi-sonic powers for military purposes. The city of Attilan became a weaponized vessel that tracked down and destroyed the fleeing Skrull ships, as well as some Shi'ar vessels trying to intercept. He breached Kree defenses and forced Ronan and the Kree to pledge allegiance to him.

The Inhumans had plans to lead a benevolent future with the Kree. Crystal was promised to Ronan to further unite the Kree and the Inhumans even offered the Terrigen Mists to enhance the evolution of the Kree. However, behind the leadership of the insane Emperor Vulcan, the Shi'ar declared war on the Kree, touching off the epic War of Kings. At the very climax of the War, both Black Bolt and Vulcan appear killed in a massive explosion and the Shi'ar surrender to the Kree Empire, despite heavy losses on both sides.

Black Bolt actually survived the explosion. It was revealed that he likely represents the anomaly of the Kree Inhuman genetics program that had been predicted hundreds of thousands of years ago. The genetic prophecy was that this anomaly would bring about the end of the Supreme Intelligence. To prevent this outcome, the Kree Supreme Intelligence had ordered the destruction of all the worlds where the genetic experiments took place. Only five colonies escaped, including Earth's: these were the Universal Inhumans. After his return to Attilan, Black Bolt joined the Universal Inhumans and was presented with four new brides, one from each of the other colonies.

They returned to Earth to help defeat the last four Reeds of the Interdimensional Council. They then faced the Kree Armada, who had been ordered by the resurrected Kree Supreme Intelligence to wipe out Earth and the Inhumans. After the Kree fled in defeat, the Inhumans followed in pursuit.

Characterization: While rarely uttering a sound, Black Bolt commands the respect of the entire Inhuman nation and is a leader in the superhuman community through his presence and the vast power he possesses.

Friends and Foes: He is close to the Inhuman Royal family, but closest to his first wife, Medusa, who he considers his soulmate. The introduction of his four new brides has stained their relationship but he has made it clear that Medusa remains his only love and he only bears the time with the others out of duty.

Clean Up 7/10/11: Took Black Bolt down to a PL16, leaving his PL20 cosmic level voice for power stunting. Otherwise, he can still level a city block with little trouble if he wants.

Clean Up 3/31/12: Took BB back up to PL18 to make it easier for him to hit that +20 rank voice blast.

Clean Up 6/25/13: Some work on Black Bolt as I prepare to post the rest of the Inhuman Royal Family.

Clean Up 9/19/13: Black Bolt gets the Thorpacoverse treatment.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:36 pm

Y'know, until that stupid "now he smacks Jan in the mouth" storyline that Roger Stern wrote, I really liked Hank. Actually, he was a pretty popular character all around, though I still think he should've stuck with the Defenders.

Anyway, the only problem with stories like that is, you can't really rehabilitate a character from that sort of damage. With Spidey it was easy, they could just have it one of his 8 million clones pretending he was the real Peter. Yeah, Hank doesn't have 8 million clones running around. I know Stern tried to lift Hank back up at the end of that (with his defeat of Egghead and the Masters of Evil), but, all anyone remembers is him smacking Jan in the mouth. It's funny how a writer can flush 30 years worth of character down the toilet with one page in a comic.

I still like Hank though, but, I wish he'd ditch the Marching Band Conductor uniform he's currently using.

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:45 pm

I dig the Black Bolt build Thorpacolypse, I'm actually a fan of the character but I don't get the Cone Area damage for his shout. I would think it would be more of a Burst Area thing since it literally affects everything around him not just what's dumb enough to be in front of him. I mean he can topple cities with a scream. I think he should have at least one massive destroy everything around him kind of yell. I know he could power stunt it easily which I guess that's what it would be since he's actually a really nice guy and he doesn't do that.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart 3E: Wasp, Tigra, Black Bolt

Postby Arthur Eld » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Dang, and I thought my Black Bolt build was powerful. PL 20 is nasty. Balls nasty.

CD's got a point about the Burst thing, but its been handled strangely by various writers. I mean, sometimes he can shout and Nullify Mind Control, sometimes its a Burst, sometimes its a cone. Most of the time people have it as a cone so he doens't suffer from Fach syndrome (damaging your allies as much as your enemies in a big fight). He's supposed to be incredibly destructive, but sometimes it doesn't quite work out that way. Like when he shouted to bring down a spaceship next to Maximus and drove him mad, instead of you know, splattering his body everywhere.

I also don't know how I feel about the Royal Family being his Sidekicks. But that might have just been for the sake of completion.

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:CD's got a point about the Burst thing

Yay! Somebody thinks I made a point! That proves that there is in fact a first time for everything.

*Pumps arm in triumph*

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:33 pm

as I understand it the tuning forks the key to focusing the directon of the blast. so the cone is a perfectly viable area with the tuning fork.

without it it would pretty well be an explosion of sound emminating from him,
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:12 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Dang, and I thought my Black Bolt build was powerful. PL 20 is nasty. Balls nasty.

CD's got a point about the Burst thing, but its been handled strangely by various writers. I mean, sometimes he can shout and Nullify Mind Control, sometimes its a Burst, sometimes its a cone. Most of the time people have it as a cone so he doens't suffer from Fach syndrome (damaging your allies as much as your enemies in a big fight). He's supposed to be incredibly destructive, but sometimes it doesn't quite work out that way. Like when he shouted to bring down a spaceship next to Maximus and drove him mad, instead of you know, splattering his body everywhere.

I also don't know how I feel about the Royal Family being his Sidekicks. But that might have just been for the sake of completion.

Balls nasty is what I was going for so I'm glad I hit it. I just remember the beginning of World War Hulk where Hulk took out Black Bolt (even though he was a Skrull at the time) and when he made his speech over the skies of New York, someone asked who Black Bolt was and Spidey said "well, until now, I thought he was the second most powerful being in the galaxy" so that's the range I was looking at.

I only made the Royal Family sidekicks because it worked out to make him "playable" at 300 pts. It's a stretch, I admit.

ClassDunce wrote:
Arthur Eld wrote:CD's got a point about the Burst thing

Yay! Somebody thinks I made a point! That proves that there is in fact a first time for everything.

*Pumps arm in triumph*

Man, everyone gets to make a point except me... :(

Be that as it may, I have only seen him actually use his voice 2 times and both times it sure looked like a cone.

However, other pics show a burst, so for now, I am going to leave it and use Catsi563's rationale for the moment. However, a AE burst will probably creep in there later.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:20 pm

The MORE POWER! builds continue with this item for our Villains Line.

I had SO many wrong thoughts going through my head with this pic...

GRAVITON
PL: 15 (249 pp) - OPL: 15 ; DPL: 14

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT 5, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Athletics (+2), Deception 7 (+9), Expertise [Physical Sciences] 11 (+16), Insight (+2), Intimidation 7 (+9) [Startle], Perception 3 (+5), Persuasion (+2), Ranged Combat [Gravity Control] 10 (+12), Stealth (+2), Technology 8 (+13) [Inventor]

ADVANTAGES: Inventor, Power Attack, Speed of Thought*, Startle

POWERS:
Floating Objects: Feature 1 (You can reduce gravity on relatively small masses (rank –5 or less), making them float weightlessly so long as you maintain the effect); 1 pt
Gravitic Immunity: Immunity 2 (Gravity Effects); 2 pts
Gravimetric Flight: Flight 10 (2000 mph/4 mpr, Extra: Subtle); 21 pts
Gravimetric Force Field: Protection 17 (Flaw: Sustained), Impervious 9 (Flaw: Sustained), Immunity 8 (All Environmental Conditions, Suffocation, Disease); (Flaw: Sustained); 43 pts
Gravitational Adaption: Movement 2 (Environmental Adaptation [High Gravity, Low Gravity]); 4 pts
Master of Gravity: 68 pt Dynamic Array; 86 pts
Gravity Burst: Burst Area Move Object 15 (Extra: Burst Area x3 [250 ft radius], Dynamic, Increased Mass 7 (200,000 Tons), Flaw: Limited Direction [Up or Down], Flaw: Range [Close]); 68 pts
Gravity Control: Move Object 18 (Extra: Duration [Sustained], Dynamic); 2 pts
Gravity Force Blast: Ranged Force Damage 18 (Extra: Penetrating 10, Dynamic); 2 pts
Gravity Force Explosion: Burst Area Force Damage 15 (Extra: Area Burst x2 [60 ft radius], Dynamic); 2 pts
Gravity Field: Burst Area Move Object 15 (Extra: Dynamic, Flaw: Limited to Pulling Downwards); 2 pts
Crushing Gravity Field: Burst Area Move Object 15 (Extra: Burst Area x2 [60 ft radius], Damaging, Dynamic, Flaw: Limited to Pulling Downwards); 2 pts
Null-G Field: Burst Area Move Object 15 (Extra: Burst Area x2 [60 ft radius], Dynamic, Flaw: Limited to Lifting Upwards); 2 pts
High Gravity: Environment 8 (1/2 Mile radius; Impede Movement [-2 ranks], Extra: Selective, Dynamic); 2 pts
Gravity Paralysis: Burst Area Cumulative Affliction 15 (Gravity; Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Strength/Damage; 1st: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless and Immobilized; Extra: Area Burst [30 ft radius], Extra Condition, Dynamic, Flaw: Limited to two Degrees); 2 pts
Matter Manipulation: Perception Ranged Transform 12 (1 Ton, Shape inorganic objects; Extra: Duration [Continuous], Dynamic); 2 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +5
Close Attack +4 [Unarmed +2]
Ranged Attack +2
Gravity Control +12 [Gravity Blast +18; Gravity Control Move Object +18]
Special Attacks [Gravity Burst/Gravity Field/Crushing Gravity Field/Null-G Field Move Object +15, Burst Area; Gravity Explosion +15, Burst Area; Gravity Paralysis Affliction +15, Burst Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +8 [DC18] Parry +8 [DC18]
Toughness +3 (+20 with Force Field, +9 Impervious with Force Field), Fortitude +8, Will +8

COMPLICATIONS:
Arrogance: Because of his great power and intelligence, he can become overconfident at times, leading to his downfall
Enemy: The Avengers, Thor
Mental Instability: Franklin has had bouts with depression and other psychological issues over the years

Abilities 44 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Advantages 4 + Powers 157 + Defenses 21 = 249 / 249

Build Comments: Graviton is one of those villains that should be bigger than he is, but he just can’t quite seem to break into the full time big leagues. I actually have the issue where he debuted against the Avengers and he kicked some ass. But that lame 70’s “scientist gone MAD” angle was played and he gets bounced around a lot now. But he was kickin’ in the new Avengers cartoon so I thought I would add him to the list of villains I might test my Justice League of Avengers against.

And he is wicked bad. And 18 rank blast and sustained Move Object mechanic that I borrowed from Taliesin's Magneto, which allows him to lift a cruise ship and then throw Thor into the atmosphere at the same time. He's a bad, bad man, it's a good thing for the heroes that he's a flake. I think I need to back down his Perception and Will...

Secret Origins: Franklin Hall is a physicist involved in an experiment in a private research facility in the Canadian Rockies. A mistake in Hall's calculations causes graviton particles to merge with his own molecules, and Hall later discovers that he can mentally control gravity. Hall at first tries to hide his newfound ability, but becomes tempted by the potential power, and donning a costume adopts the alias "Graviton."

The Story so Far: When Graviton takes over the research facility and forbids all communications with the outside world, a fellow scientist sends a distress signal to the superhero team the Avengers. A furious Graviton then lifts the facility several thousands of feet into the sky and threatens to kill the scientist. The Avengers then arrive and attack, but with the exception of the Black Panther are all defeated when trapped in a gravity field. The Panther escapes and summons the thunder god Thor, who battles Graviton to a standstill until Graviton is tricked into thinking a fellow scientist he cares for has committed suicide. Graviton then panics and causes the entire facility to collapse on him, forming a giant stone sphere that is dropped into a river by the Avengers.

Hall has faced off against the Avengers and Thor many times, but has never been able to gain a permanent victory of them.

Characterization: Hall is one of the most powerful people on the planet, but his biggest weakness is that he very emotionally and mentally disturbed, making him much less of a threat than he could be.

Friends and Foes: Hall is currently a member of the High Council of A.I.M. since they went public.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby ClassDunce » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:23 pm

Graviton was an awesome villain in Thunderbolts, there was one story where he had his own giant flying island and he gave a lot of Teenagers the power to fly and he sent them out to get everything they needed as his island just moved along over the country. He had a harem and everything. This is a villain who would be dangerous if he had any kind of ambition beyond his own comfort.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

#100!

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:34 pm

It seemed like a long time coming, but J-Mart 3E has finally gotten to BUILD #100! Only 2300 more to catch Kreuzritter! :wink:

And with this milestone build, I wanted a big name and sans the Caps, Supes, and Bats of the comic world that I have already posted, I couldn't think of a better build to get the honor. Check out this J-Mart Favorite item that continues our MORE POWER SPECIAL!

The man.

MAGNETO
PL: 15 (302 pts) - OPL: 15 ; DPL: 14

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT 7, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 7

SKILLS: Athletics 3 (+5), Deception 6 (+13), Expertise [Genetics] 8 (+15), Expertise [Science] 8 (+15), Insight 8 (+12), Intimidation 6 (+13) [Daze, Startle], Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion 6 (+13), Ranged Combat [Magnetic Control] 5 (+12), Stealth (+2), Technology 8 (+15) [Inventor], Treatment 2 (+9)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit (3) (Status – He’s Magneto, Wealth 2 [Independently Wealthy]), Daze (1) (Intimidation), Diehard, Equipment (1), Extraordinary Effort, Inspire (3), Inventor, Languages (1) (English, Russian, Base: German), Leadership, Lionheart*, Ranged Attack (4), Speed of Thought*, Startle

POWERS:
Mind Shielding Helmet: 10 pts traits, Easily Removable (-4 pts); 6 pts
Mental Shield: Immunity 10 (Mental Effects); 10 pts
Minor Ferrokinesis: Feature 1 (You can generate a strong enough magnetic field to move small (mass rank –5 or less) ferrous objects within about an arm’s reach); 1 pt
Minor Magnetism: Feature 1 (You can magnetize a small [hand-sized] ferrous object of mass rank –5 or less by holding it and taking a standard action to do so. The object remains magnetized until degaussed); 1 pt
Magnetic Manipulation: Feature 1 (You can use magnetic fields to turn or operate small metal fasteners [screws, bolts, nails, etc.] within arm’s reach as if you had the proper tools); 1 pt
True North: Feature 1 (You have an “internal compass” — always able to sense magnetic north on a planet with magnetic poles, equivalent to the Direction Sense effect and know if an object is magnetized by touching it.); 1 pt
Magnetic Flight: Flight 10 (2000 mph/4 mpr), Movement 1 (Space Travel); 22 pts
Magnetic Senses: Senses 10 (Direction Sense, Magnetic Awareness, Detect Metals [Mental, Accurate, Extended 2, Ranged, Radius, Penetrates Concealment]); 10 pts
Magnetic Repulsion: 42 pt Dynamic Array; 44 pts
Magnetic Force Field: Protection 12, Impervious 9, Immunity 10 (Life Support); (Flaw: Duration [Sustained]), (Extra: Dynamic); 41 pts
Magnetic Deflection: Deflect 15 (Extra: Dynamic, Redirect, Reflect, Flaw: Limited Materials [Metallic]); 2 pts

Master of Magnetism: 54 pt Dynamic Array; 68 pts
Magnetic Control: Perception Range Move Object 15 (Extra: Range [Perception], Damaging, Precise, Dynamic, Increased Mass 7 [100K Tons], Flaw: Limited [Metallic objects]); 54 pts
Magnetic Blast: Ranged Damage 18 (Extra: Dynamic, Variable Descriptor [Electromagnetic/Magnetic]); 2 pts
Magnetic Burst: Burst Area Move Object 15 (Extra: Burst Area [30 ft radius], Damaging, Dynamic, Selective, Flaw: Limited [Metallic objects], Range [Close]); 2 pts
Metallic Explosion: Ranged Shapeable Area Projectile Damage 11 (Extra: Dynamic, Shapeable Area x2 [60 ft volume], Quirk: Requires metal objects); 2 pts
Magnetic Snare: Ranged Affliction 18 (1st: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless and Immobilized; Extra: Alternate Resistance [Resisted by Dodge], Cumulative, Dynamic, Extra Condition, Flaw: Limited to two Degrees, Limited to toughness of metal objects used); 2 pts
Fatal Attractions: Ranged Affliction 18 (Magnetic; Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Impaired, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Incapacitated, Extra: Dynamic, Cumulative, Reversible); 2 pts
EMP: Ranged Burst Area Nullify 10 (Electronic Effects, Extra: Broad, Burst Area [30 ft], Simultaneous); 2 pts
Metal Manipulation: Perception Ranged Transform 8 (200 lbs., assemble/disassemble/shape metal objects; Extra: Range [Perception], Duration [Continuous]); 2 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(5 pts)
Armored Costume: Protection 2; 2 pts
Costume Pockets: Features 2 (Magneto carries metal shavings, tiny metal balls and other little metallic objects for usage for some of his effects and power stunts); 2 pts

OFFENSE:
Initiative +7
Close Attack +8 [Unarmed +2]
Ranged Attack +7
Magnetic Control +12 [Magnetic Blast +18; Magnetic Snare Affliction Object +18; Fatal Attractions Affliction +18]
Special Attack [Magnetic Lifting +15 (+22 Lifting Strength), Perception; Magnetic Burst +15, Burst Area; Metallic Explosion +11, Shapeable Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +10 [DC20] Parry +9 [DC19]
Toughness +6 (+18 with Force Field, +9 Impervious with Force Field), Fortitude +9, Will +13 (+15 against fear effects)

COMPLICATIONS:
Hatred: He loathes the Nazis for what they did to his family.
Power Loss: He can lose his powers when he has no access to the magnetic charges of Earth or when he overexerts himself.
Prejudice: Mutant.
Relationships: His children Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and he is beginning to accept Polaris. He also remains close to Professor X, now more than ever.
Reputation: He's Magneto…even when he tries to do right, no one trusts him.
Responsibility: He feels it is his duty to protect the mutant race from what happened to his family in the Holocaust and as such, he has (mostly) sided with Xavier again (for now).
Rivalry: He doesn't like Doctor Polaris at all, and he and Sebastian Shaw have never seen eye to eye.
Temper: He's been known to lose his temper from time to time and make rash, and usually fatal, decisions.

Abilities 74 + Skills 32 (64 ranks) + Advantages 20 + Powers 153 + Defenses 23 = 302 / 302

Comments: For a landmark build like #100, you need a landmark character and Magneto is the man this time. I love Magneto. Love him as a villain, love him as an anti-hero, love him as a hero. He is one of the most sympathetic villains you can find and even though he’s done some unspeakably evil things, you can’t help being intrigued and even pull for the man. As some writers have said, he and Professor X are like Martin Luther King and Malcolm X, each fighting for the same cause but going about it differently. And considering some of the decisions that Professor X and even Cyclops have made recently, their differences seem to be getting fewer and fewer.

My 3E Magneto is one bad dude. Again, I followed Taliesin’s lead and went with a sustained Move Object since I didn’t want to make him a PL18-20 for a perception range Move Object. This allows him to pick up more than one thing at once and his dynamic array allows him to pick up a semi and still hit someone with a 10 rank blast. And I like the Fatal Attractions power, an Affliction that goes after the metal in your system to take you out, which is bad enough for somenone like Storm, but can be really, really bad for someone like Wolverine or Colossus.

I'm going to do a big X-verse run in a little while after I get some more other varied builds under my belt here, but I couldn't wait any more for Magnus. I may even whip up Joseph and let them go at it after I build Ben Reilly and let him and Pete go at it. :wink:

Secret Origins: Magneto was born Max Eisenhardt sometime in the late 1920s to a middle class German Jewish family whose father, Jakob Eisenhardt, was a highly decorated World War I veteran. Surviving discrimination and hardship during the Nazi rise to power, Kristallnacht, and the passing of the Nuremberg Laws, in 1939 Max and his family fled to Poland where they were captured during the German invasion of Poland and sent to the Warsaw Ghetto. Max and his family escaped the Ghetto, only to be betrayed and captured again. His mother, father, and sister were executed and buried in a mass grave, but Max survived, possibly due to the manifestation of his powers. Escaping from the mass grave, he was ultimately captured yet again and sent to Auschwitz, where he eventually became a Sonderkommando.

While at Auschwitz, Eisenhardt reunited with a Roma girl named Magda, with whom he had fallen in love when he was younger, and with whom he escaped the prison camp during the October 7th 1944 revolt. Following the war, he and Magda moved to the Ukrainian city of Vinnytsia, and Max adopted the name "Magnus". Magda and Magnus had a daughter named Anya, and lived uneventfully until one night when an angry mob, spurred on by a first manifestation of Magnus' powers, burned down their home with Anya still inside. Enraged at the mob for preventing him from rescuing Anya, the young Magnus's powers manifested uncontrollably, killing the mob and destroying a part of the city. Magda, terrified at Magnus' power, left him and later gave birth to the mutant twins Pietro and Wanda before walking away to die. Wanted by the authorities for the deaths and destruction in Vinnytsia, while searching for Magda, Magnus paid a Romanian forger, George Odekirk, to create the cover identity of "Erik Lehnsherr, the Sinte gypsy".

"Erik" relocated to Israel, where he met and befriended Charles Xavier while working at a psychiatric hospital near Haifa. There, debates were held by the two regarding the consequences humanity faces with the rise of mutants, though neither revealed to the other that they were mutants. However, they were forced to reveal their inherent abilities to one another while facing Baron Strucker and HYDRA. Following the battle, Erik, realizing that his and Xavier's views were incompatible, left with a cache of hidden Nazi gold, which provided him with the finances to pursue his goals

The Story so Far: Magneto's experiences surviving Nazi Germany, Auschwitz, and Vinnytsia would shape his outlook on the situation that mutants face in the world. Determined to keep such atrocities from ever being committed against mutantkind, he is willing to use deadly force to protect mutants. He would believe that "Homo superior" will become the dominant life form on the planet and would set about either creating a homeland on Earth where mutants could live peacefully, or conquering and enslaving humanity in the name of mutantkind.

Magneto's first villainous act is attacking a United States military base called Cape Citadel after bringing down missiles. He is driven off by Charles Xavier's mutant students, the X-Men, in their first mission. He creates Asteroid M, an orbital base of operations in a hollowed out asteroid. Over the years, he has several conflicts with the X-Men, The Avengers, Wonder Woman and Stormwatch, making him one of the most notorious supervillains in the world.

Magneto's first steps towards a change in character begin during an encounter with the X-Men, when he lashes out in anger and nearly kills Kitty Pryde, stopping short when he sees that the X-Man that he attacked is a child--one of the young mutants that he claimed he was fighting to make a better world for. Realizing that he has come to regard the lives of those who oppose him to be as worthless as the Nazis considered his people to be, Magneto stands down and leaves the scene; though most of the X-Men are dismayed that he escaped, Xavier expresses hope that the encounter might prove a turning point for his former friend.

Magneto later discovers that former Brotherhood members the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are actually his children, simultaneously learning about their recent marriages to the Vision and Crystal. He reveals to Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch that he is their father. He also discovers his granddaughter, Quicksilver's human child Luna Maximoff. Seeing Luna as a bond to the human race he has rejected, Magneto tries to reach out to his children. Angered by his rejection of them and their mother, they push him away and refuse to forgive him.

After assisting several heroes and the X-Men battle the Beyonder, his association with the teams softens his views on humanity, and Magneto surrenders himself to the law to stand trial for his crimes. A special tribunal dismisses all charges against Magneto from prior to his "rebirth," deeming that this had constituted a figurative death of the old Magneto. However, the tribunal is interrupted by an attack from Fenris, the twin children of Baron Wolfgang von Strucker. Professor X, brought to near-death due to the strain of the battle and previously sustained injuries, asks Magneto to take over his school and the X-Men. Magneto agrees and chooses not to return to the courtroom. Instead, he takes over Xavier's school under the assumed identity of Michael Xavier, Charles Xavier's cousin. Seeing him try to reform, the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver begin accepting him as their father.
Though Magneto makes a substantial effort as the headmaster of the New Mutants and an ally to the X-Men, his tenure is disastrous. The Beyonder plagues him yet again, slaying Xavier's current students, the New Mutants, and bringing them back to life soon after. This deeply traumatizes the entire group. Magneto is then manipulated by Emma Frost into battling sanctioned heroes the Avengers and the Supreme Soviets. Magneto submits to a trial once again, but uses mind-control circuitry he salvaged from the wreckage of Asteroid M to alter the opinions of the head justice in charge of the trial. As a result, Magneto is finally absolved of his past crimes but finds that this only fuels hostility towards mutants.

Seeing conditions for mutants grow progressively more perilous, Magneto begins seeking allies to protect mutants from humanity. He participates in the Acts of Vengeance alongside such established villains as Doctor Doom, the Wizard, the Mandarin, and the Red Skull. His temporary alliance with the Red Skull — an unrepentant Nazi war criminal — is a highly uneasy one. After confirming that the Skull was the original one who had worked with Hitler, Magneto takes revenge upon him by entombing him alive.

The witch Zaladane is able to appropriate the magnetic powers of Polaris, and the scientist Moira MacTaggert confirmed during testing that the only way Zaladane could have taken Polaris's powers away was by being a biological relative. Magneto works alongside Rogue, Ka-Zar, and Nick Fury as well as a number of Russian operatives in order to reestablish peace in the Savage Land. The conflict ends with Magneto executing Zaladane himself. With her death, Magneto renounces his previous efforts to act as a mentor to the New Mutants and to follow Xavier's beliefs in peaceful co-existence between mutants and normal humans.

Tired of the constant strife, Magneto rebuilds his orbital base and retires to a life of quiet seclusion. He is, by this point, a figurehead for the cause of mutantkind and is sought out by a group of mutants calling themselves the Acolytes, who pledge their service and allegiance to him. Under the influence of one of them, Fabian Cortez, he declares Asteroid M a homeland for mutantkind, obtaining nuclear missiles from a Soviet submarine he had previously destroyed and placing them around the Asteroid pointed towards Earth.

Magneto discovers how Moira MacTaggert altered his genetic structure when he was de-aged. Enraged, he kidnaps Moira and subjects her to torture. While the X-Men attack Asteroid M to rescue Moira and stop Magneto's plans, the Soviets launch a particle beam satellite which destroys Asteroid M. Betrayed and abandoned by Cortez, Magneto refuses Xavier's pleas to escape with the X-Men back to Earth. Instead, the Acolyte Chrome encases him in a protective shell, saving him from the subsequent explosion. However, Chrome and the other Acolytes die, albeit temporarily.

The United Nations Security Council, in response to a resurgent Magneto, votes to activate the "Magneto Protocols" — a satellite network, in slightly lower orbit than Avalon, which skews the Earth's magnetic field enough to prevent Magneto from using his powers within, preventing him from returning to the planet's surface. In response, Magneto generates an electromagnetic pulse not only destroying the satellites, but deactivating every electric device on Earth within minutes. The X-Men respond by hacking into Avalon's own computer systems to teleport a small team to the station with the aid of Colossus, who had joined Magneto's Acolytes moments after his younger sister Illyana's funeral. Magneto, during the battle with the X-Men, rips the adamantium from Wolverine's bones, which enrages Xavier to the point that he wipes his former friend's mind, leaving him in a coma.

This action later leads to the creation of Onslaught an omnipotent being formed with the combination of Xavier's and Magneto's powers. Magneto remained comatose on Avalon, worshiped by his Acolytes under the leadership of the ancient mutant Exodus, until Avalon itself is destroyed by the arrival of Holocaust from the Age of Apocalypse Earth. During the destruction, Colossus places Magneto in an escape pod sending him back to Earth. This pod is intercepted by Astra, a former ally who now desires his death.

After cloning Magneto, Astra restores Magneto's memories and powers before attempting to kill him. Instead, Magneto, now fully revived, battles both Astra and his clone. Magneto triumphs over the clone, sending him crashing into a South American barn. However, too weak to continue the battle, the real Magneto goes into hiding, while the now-amnesiac clone becomes known as Joseph and eventually joins the X-Men. Since the world believes Joseph to be the real Magneto, Magneto takes his time to plan.

Following this, Magneto constructed a machine to amplify his powers and blackmail the world into creating a mutant nation. The X-Men and Joseph, who had fallen under Astra's control again, oppose him. Magneto's powers are severely depleted from battling Joseph, who sacrifices his life to restore the Earth to normal. However, the United Nations, manipulated by its mutant affairs officer Alda Huxley, cedes to Magneto the island nation of Genosha, which had no recognized government. He rules Genosha for some time with the aid of many who had previously opposed him, including Quicksilver, Polaris, and Fabian Cortez, and engages in a brutal civil war with the island's former human rulers.

Despite the UN's hopes that Genosha's civil war between humans and mutants would destroy or at least occupy him, Magneto crushes all opposition to his rule and rebuilds the nation by forming an army of mutants dedicated to his cause, including mutants coming from all over the world seeking sanctuary. Eventually, Magneto uses the Genegineer's equipment to fully restore his power. Intending to declare war on humanity, he captures Professor X to use as a symbol with which to rally his troops. Jean Grey recruits a new group of X-Men to help Cyclops and Wolverine rescue Xavier; they defeat Magneto when Xavier psychically cuts off his access to his powers. Taking the opportunity for revenge, Wolverine attacks the depowered Magneto, crippling him with serious injuries.

While Magneto recovers from his injuries, Genosha is attacked by an army of Sentinels sent by Xavier's long lost twin sister Cassandra Nova Xavier. Over 16 million mutants and humans die. The attack comes just after Polaris discovered the truth about her biological relationship as Magneto's daughter. Magneto's supposedly last moments are spent revealing to Genosha Polaris's status as his daughter.

Charles Xavier is met on Genosha by Magneto, who apparently survived Cassandra Nova's attack and lived unnoticed within the ruins. Xavier and Magneto put aside their differences to rebuild the island nation, rekindling their friendship in the process.

Magneto appears, apparently at the behest of Exodus and claiming to be powerless, to help restore the broken psyche of Professor Xavier. Together they revive Xavier before being attacked by Frenzy. Magneto wounds Frenzy by firing a medical laser into one of her eyes. Seeing the injury of a mutant as a crime, Exodus attacks Magneto. Xavier challenges Exodus on the astral plane. After Xavier defeats Exodus, he leaves Magneto and Omega Sentinel to try and rebuild his lost memories.

Magneto, his powers artificially simulated by a suit designed by the High Evolutionary, reactivates Sentinels to attack the X-Men, who had recently relocated to San Francisco. Though he is defeated, Magneto's attack serves its purpose as a distraction so the High Evolutionary can gain an unknown object from the Dreaming Celestial. After extensively examining the Dreaming Celestial, the High Evolutionary subjects Magneto to a dangerous technological procedure, restoring his powers.

Impressed with the X-Men's recent efforts in defending and helping mutantkind, Magneto offers to work with them on Utopia, the new mutant homeland created by the X-Men using the remnants of Asteroid M. He aids the X-Men in defending Utopia Island from an attack of Predator X monsters. Now considered a member of the X-Men, Magneto assists them in stabilizing the asteroid from sinking into the Pacific. Despite Xavier being apologetic and appreciative for what he'd done, Magneto leaves Utopia for nearby Mount Tamalpais in Marin County. In a final bid to gain their trust, Magneto enters a deep meditative catatonic state to focus his powers at an interstellar distance and reverse the path of Breakworld's "Earth-destroyer" Metal Bullet that Kitty Pryde is trapped in. Magneto had encountered the bullet earlier while working to regain his powers with the High Evolutionary, and surmised that Kitty was inside. He had chosen to focus on ways to restore the powers of mutants, but memorized the metals of the bullet allowing him to keep a trace on it. Magneto brings the bullet back to Earth, drawing Kitty out of it and levitating her safely to the ground. However, the strain of using his power at such intensity and duration leaves him comatose.

Magneto comes out of his coma right after Hope is teleported into Utopia by a dying Nightcrawler. With the Nimrods laying siege to Utopia, Magneto stops Hank McCoy from leaving his patients as he prepares to enter battle himself. Magneto holds off a squad of Nimrods, dismembering the robots by pulling shards of iron from the core of Utopia through them.

With his reputation around the world as a well-known mutant revolutionary/terrorist, Magneto is talked into finding a solution to the problem by Cyclops before it goes public that he is established in Utopia. With an earthquake inbound for San Francisco, Magneto uses his powers to stabilize the city's buildings, structures and metal vehicles, and to smooth the earth movements themselves, thus preventing any major damage and saving many lives. As a result, some of the city favors him, while others are reminded of how potentially dangerous he can be and has been.

Magneto later joins the Avengers, the X-Men, and Hulk in confronting the Phoenix Force-powered Cyclops. Scarlet Witch uses her abilities to keep Magneto from being harmed. Following the defeat of Cyclops, Magneto and the other former members are reported to have gone on the run. Magneto eventually joined Cyclops and his X-Men team until Cyclops and Wolverine reconciled and along with the returned Professor X he is currently helping run the new Jean Grey School.

Characterization: Magneto has long been the face of mutant separatism, in opposition to Charles Xavier's ideal of coexistence with humanity. Believing that mutants are the next stage in human evolution, he sought to assert their dominance over the planet and its inhabitants. This was Magneto's means of assuring the survival of his people in a world that hates and fears them for their very existence. Though not a hero, Magneto is charismatic, noble, and wise. His long and turbulent friendship with Charles Xavier has been a cornerstone for both men's lives, as a rivalry that has lasted decades.

In addition to his powers, Magneto has many other skills. He is a genius with competence in various fields of advanced science, especially in genetic manipulation, particle physics, engineering, and other fields of technology. He has engineered advanced weaponry, space stations, superpowered humanoid lifeforms, devices that generate volcanoes and earthquakes, devices that block telepathy, and devices that can nullify all mutant powers except for his own. He has reconstructed computerized devices from memory. He is fluent in many human languages and once single-handedly deciphered the unknown language of a lost civilization. He possesses extraordinary skill in "reading" the microexpressions on others' faces and sensing what they are thinking and feeling, whether they are lying, fearful, etc. a skill which he refers to as "taking your enemy's measure." He also is a master strategist and tactician with extensive combat experience, and has often been successful in single-handed combat against entire groups of superhuman adversaries. He also has some military training in hand-to-hand combat and has been shown to be effective with his fists, but he prefers to use his powers when in combat situations.

Friends and Foes: His longest relationship is with Charles Xavier, which has lasted for decades due to both of their deaths, revivals and body changes that have greatly extended their lives. He has been both an ally and foe of the X-Men and has seemingly worked with and against all members of the superhuman community.

Clean Up 6/6/11: Did a little work on Magneto today, just cleaning up some powers that I had costed wrong and giving him a full Force Field outside of his array, which I used to be loathe to do for energy controller types, but Mags deserves it.

Clean Up 3/12/14: Made a lot of changes to my Magneto and added some Superior Thorpacoverse background.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Xarathos
Comrade
Comrade

Re: J-Mart 3E: Black Bolt, Graviton, BUILD #100 - Magneto

Postby Xarathos » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:56 pm

. . . Magneto is pure WIN. :D

Nice job Thorp! Let the awesomeness continue at J-Mart! ^^

BARON
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Postby BARON » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:41 pm

i know when i put black bolt together, i'm probably going to use black canary and her powers as a model.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:13 pm

BARON wrote:i know when i put black bolt together, i'm probably going to use black canary and her powers as a model.

Oooo, that's a great idea. I just went with pure damage, but I liked that setup.
Shop J-Mart!

Return to “Roll Call”