J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Re: #223 OV, #218 T

Postby Thorpacolypse » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Sidious wrote:
Woodclaw wrote:
Thorpacolypse wrote:If only he could follow in his mother's footsteps and say something like "No more Pyms"...

I'm still hoping for "No More Quesada", but that's just me.

I think that's the hope of every comic fan at this point.

I'm still holding out hope for Quesada. I thought the same thing about DiDio, and DC has turned things around nicely recently. Making a few unpopular decisions is always going to happen in any long running medium like comics and though he's certainly made more than a few, I really think the writing, characterization and continuity is better in Marvel on a monthly basis. It's the big crossover things they've missed on IMHO. Avengers: Disassembled wasn't good, M-Day was not handled well; Brand New Day...I think we all know that was stupid; Civil War, while it had it's high points, was disappointing overall, Siege and Secret Invasion were just OK. Granted, they were all better than Final Crisis, but then again, even the George Lopez show is better than that! :mrgreen:

But on his watch, they've made Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Hercules and Black Panther relevant again, among other C-Listers, and they've added more A-List villains like Norman Osborn and The Hood and they've kept their big names in good story-lines. Outside of The Brand New Day, the Amazing Spider-Man book has been fantastic the past two years. They need to nail Fear Itself, but by and large, Marvel's done OK.

It's hard to keep a long running medium like comics interesting. Wrestling and soap operas have the same issues, even with vastly different demographics. Every now and then they catch lightning in a bottle with breakout stars that appeal to the diehards as well as the casual fans (The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Bo and Hope, Luke and Laura, and yes I admit, I watched Days of Our Lives and General Hospital during summer breaks...my hometown is 1500 people and I was broke, what's a dude to do?!?!?!?) but by and large, they just keep rolling along, and if you're a fan, you can move onto something else for 5 years, come back to it, see a few different faces and names, but be able to pick things back up like you never left. John Cena and MVP are pulling the same stunts that Gorgeous George and Ric Flair did 40 years ago; Superman is still fighting the never ending battle, and Susan Lucci is still getting face lifts and wreaking havoc as Erica Kane. Is now, was then, and hopefully always shall be.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:50 pm

We've got a BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL on Aisle 2.

A-Bomb smash! And you know why? Because I'M RICK JONES BEEEEEEEATCH!!!

A-BOMB
PL: 12 (180 pts) - OPL: 12 ; DPL: 12

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 15, STAMINA 13, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 0, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Athletics (+15), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+9), Deception 4 (+6), Expertise [String Instruments] 5 (+7), Insight 4 (+7), Intimidation 5 (+7), Investigation 3 (+5), Perception 3 (+6), Persuasion 6 (+8), Stealth (+1), Technology 2 (+4)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Close Attack (1), Connected, Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack (3), Ultimate Effort (1) (Ultimate Toughness Check)

ENHANCED ADVANTAGES: Diehard, Great Endurance

POWERS:
A-Bomb Size: Growth 2 (+2 Str, +2 Sta, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth, +1 Intimidation, Speed +0, +2 Mass, Extra: Permanent, Innate); 5 pts
Healing Factor: Immunity 13 (Aging, Poisons [Limited], Need to Sleep, Thirst, Pressure, Heat, Cold, Suffocation 2, Radiation Effects), Enhanced Advantages 2 (see Advantages), Regeneration 2 (1/every 3 rounds, Extra: Persistent); 19 pts
A-Bomb Hide: Protection 4, Impervious Toughness 9 (18 ranks); 22 pts
Incredible Leg Strength: Leaping 8 (1800 ft), Speed 2 (8 mph); 10 pts
Super Strength: Enhanced Strength 2 (3.2K Tons; Flaw: Limited to Lifting); 2 pts
Blending: Concealment 2 (Visual, Flaw: Blending); 2 pts
Gamma Radiation Senses: Senses 5 (Detect Gamma Radiation [Visual, Analytical, Tracking 2]); 5 pts
Super Strength Stunts: Alternate Effect Array of Strength; 3 pts
AE - Sonic Slam: Cone Area Affliction 12 (Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, Extra: Area Cone, Flaw: Limited to Two Degrees); 1 pt
AE - Thunderclap: Cone Area Move Object 12 (Flaw: Range [Close], Limited Direction [away]); 1 pt
AE - Groundstrike: Line Area Force Damage 12 (Extras: Line Area 2 [60 ft], Flaws: Distracting, Limited [A-Bomb must be on the ground, targets must be on the ground]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +1
Close Attack +7
Unarmed +9 [Unarmed +15]
Ranged Attack +3
Special Attacks [Sonic Slam Affliction +12, Cone Area, Thunderclap Move Object +12, Cone Area, Groundstrike +12, Line Area]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +5 [DC15] Parry +6 [DC16]
Toughness +17 (+9 Impervious, Ultimate Effort), Fortitude +15, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: Due to his large fingers, he can't perform fine manipulations with regular sized objects, like his beloved guitar
Prejudice: He is currently stuck in his monstrous A-Bomb appearance, which can be unsettling to people
Relationships: His wife, Marlo Chandler, Bruce Banner/Hulk

Abilities 76 + Skills 17 (34 ranks) + Advantages 12 + Powers 65 + Defenses 10 = 180 / 180

Comments: They needed a blue Hulk to throw in with the rest, I suppose, so Rick Jones is now A-Bomb, a good guy version of The Abomination.

And I miss Chapelle's Show... :(
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:48 pm

We have a HELLUVA Special on Aisle 2!

Hell’s Kitchen is my neighborhood. I prowl the rooftops and alleyways at night. Watching from the darkness. Forever in darkness. A guardian devil. - Daredevil

DAREDEVIL
PL: 10 (210 pts) - OPL: 10 ; DPL: 10

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 7, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 14, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 7, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Acrobatics 11 (+18) [Accelerated Acrobatics, Agile Feint, Skill Mastery], Athletics 10 (+13), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+17), Deception 8 (+10), Expertise [Lawyer] 9 (+12), Expertise [Streetwise] 8 (+11), Insight (+7/+15) [Assessment], Intimidation 9 (+11), Investigation 8 (+11) [Contacts, Well-Informed], Perception 3 (+10/+20), Persuasion 6 (+8), Ranged Combat [Throwing] 6 (+14), Sleight of Hand 6 (+10), Stealth 8 (+15) [Hide in Plain Sight]

ADVANTAGES: Accelerated Acrobatics*, Agile Feint, Assessment, Contacts, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (2), Evasion, Fearless, Grabbing Finesse, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (1) (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative (1), Languages 1 (American Braille, Japanese, Base: English), Power Attack, [/i]Precise Attack (2) (Close, Concealment; Ranged, Concealment)[/i], Quick Draw, , Ranged Attack (4), Redirect, Skill Mastery (1) (Acrobatics), Takedown (1), [/i]Uncanny Dodge[/i], Well-Informed

POWERS:
Super Senses: Enhanced Advantages 5 (Evasion, Improved Defense, Precise Attack 2 [Close, Concealment; Ranged, Concealment], Uncanny Dodge), Enhanced Skills 9 (Insight 8 ranks, Perception 10 ranks), Senses 18 (Normal Hearing [Accurate, Analytical, Extended, Penetrates Concealment], Scent [Accurate, Acute, Analytical, Extended, Ranged], Touch [Acute, Analytical, Ranged], Ultra-Hearing); 32 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(10 pts)
Billy Club: (10 pts)
Thrown Billy Club: Ranged Bludgeoning Strength-Based Damage 3, Ricochet 2, Feature 1 (Converts to collapsible cane), Diminished Range (10/25/50); 8 pts
Billy Club Strike: Bludgeoning Strength-Based Damage 3, Split, Reach 2 (10 ft); 1 pt
Club Swinging: Movement 2 (Swinging, Safe Fall [Quirk: Requires Ranged Billy Club Attack Roll to hit supporting object); 1 pt

OFFENSE:
Initiative +11
Close Attack +14 [Billy Club +6]
Unarmed +17 [Unarmed +3, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +8
Billy Club +14 [Billy Club +6]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +14 [DC24] Parry +14 [DC24]
Toughness +6 (+4 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +12

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: He's blind.
Enemy: Kingpin, Bullseye, sometimes Elektra and others.
Relationships: His best friend Foggy Nelson. Sometimes Echo, sometimes Elektra, sometime the Black Widow.
Responsibility: To protect Hell's Kitchen and dispense justice.
Secret Identity: He tries to maintains a secret identity of Matt Murdock but a lot of people think (or know) that he's Daredevil.
Vulnerable: He is vulnerable to Auditory and Olfactory affliction/damage effects, taking an extra degree of failure against them. And being in area with loud noises and strong odors can grant Concealment to his opponents.

Abilities 88 + Skills 47 (94 ranks) + Advantages 27 + Powers 32 + Defenses 16 = 210 / 210

Build Comments: After a short test, I moved DD up a PL. I didn’t like how he performed, albeit I willingly admit that I am still not completely up to snuff with the 3E gameplay yet. I need to remedy that with more playing, less building, I suppose. But I’m a build-aholic, so it’s for me to give that up for too long.

Regardless, Matt goes up to PL11, mainly for his Perception. He's generally PL9-10 otherwise.

Secret Origins: The story of Matt Murdock began with his father. Jonathan "Battling Jack" Murdock raised his son alone, claiming Matt's mother had died. Jack wanted his son to be more successful than him. He impressed upon Matt the need to constantly study instead of playing sports with other kids. Jack hoped that Matt would become a doctor or a lawyer instead of an "uneducated pug" like himself. This led the neighborhood kids to taunt the "cowardly" Matt as "Daredevil." Matt took out his frustrations by secretly training in his father's gym.
One day, Matt saw a blind man walking towards an oncoming truck. Matt pushed the man out of the way. The truck crashed and a radioactive isotope spilled out, striking Matt across the face and blinding him. While recovering in the hospital, Matt discovered his hearing, smell, taste, and touch were amplified to superhuman degrees. He also developed a "radar sense" that formed a mental picture of his surroundings.

During his time in the hospital, Matt was visited by a nun wearing a gold cross. Long thought dead, Matt would one day find his mother, "Maggie", was living as a nun. Matt wouldn't know who this woman was for many years.

A few months later, Matt received training from the ninja master Stick. From Stick, Matt learned how to control his new abilities and honed his skills in acrobatics and martial arts.

Meanwhile, Jack Murdock was desperate to get fights. He reluctantly joined with a crooked fight promoter known as "The Fixer." The Fixer set up Jack to be a heavyweight contender, just to have him take a dive. Jack refused and won his fight. Later that night, Jack Murdock was shot dead by The Fixer and his men.

The now orphaned Matt searched for his father's killers. He finally found the Fixer's gang and and punished them severely. He chased down and confronted the Fixer, who pulled a gun on Matt. Before he could fire it, the Fixer suffered heart attack and died[1]. Matt tracked down Angelo, the last man remaining responsible for his father's death. He found him at a brothel. Matt confronted him but was attacked by the women who worked there. In the melee, Matt knocked one of the women out of the window and thought she was dead (She would return as Typhoid Mary). He ran away in horror over what he had done. He went searching for Stick, but Stick abandoned him because of his actions.

Matt continued to study and entered Columbia Law School. At Columbia, Matt met and fell in love with Elektra Natchios. It was a first love for both of them. When Elektra's father was accidentally killed by police, she retreated from the world and Matt[2].

Matt earned his law degree and landed a job at a major law firm. He returned to Hell's Kitchen and to his father's old gym. There he met a young girl staying there named Mickey. They got close to each other and he trained her. He also ran into Foggy Nelson while he was there. He helped him with some of his cases. Meanwhile, Mickey ended up being kidnapped by people working for the Kingpin. Matt tracked them down and rescued Mickey. Because of that he missed an appointment for work and was fired.

Matt opened a practice, Nelson and Murdock, with Franklin "Foggy" Nelson. Karen Page was hired by Foggy as their secretary. Karen was attracted to Matt, and found it a pity that such a wonderful, handsome man could be so handicapped. Matt made a yellow and black costume out of his father's old boxing robes and continued to fight crime as Daredevil.

The Story so Far: Daredevil has been a long time protector of Hell’s Kitchen and has encountered many foes over the years. He has been an Avenger, a Defender, a SHIELD Agent (very briefly) and has assisted dozens of heroes. He has had countless encounters with The Kingpin and his hirelings and their rivalry remains very contentious and personal.

Characterization: Matt Murdock is a conflicted, but incomparably heroic individual.

Friends and Foes: Matt’s closest friend is Foggy Nelson, his best friend since college. He is also close to other members of the New York “street hero” scene including Spider-Man, Iron Fist, Luke Cage and occasionally The Punisher, although their methods often put them at odds.

He is close to Black Widow from their time as lovers and while both have moved on, the remain close friends. His greatest love is Elektra but their relationship is complicated to say the least. They have been the closest of lovers and at times, the greatest of enemies, but at this time they are on good times and Elektra has been pushing for reconciliation.

He has a large rogue’s gallery including Electro, Frog Man, Gladiator, Typhoid Mary, The Hand ninja clan and The Owl. His greatest foes are The Kingpin and Bullseye, which whom has long and very personal conflicts.

Clean Up 10/27/11: As I was working on DD for my Earth-217 setting on my other thread, I thought I would go ahead and put a DCA compatible version in place of this PL11 PC version that I had before.

Clean Up 11/19/13: DD gets a review and feels a little better this time. I miss the Blindsight power. :(
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Re: J-Mart 3E: Invincible, A-Bomb, Daredevil

Postby badpenny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:11 pm

Fighting 13 + Close Attack 3 would give him an unarmed/billy club attack of +16.

How do you feel about these additions?

Tracking 1 on his Scent as well as Extended. He can smell you/your gun/etc. a distance away and olfactory is only [effectively] close range.

Higher Insight to reflect his Lie Detection? That's such a staple that relegating it to a stunt doesn't feel right.

He's a really good lawyer: his Persuasion should be much higher than +1.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:48 pm

badpenny wrote:Fighting 13 + Close Attack 3 would give him an unarmed/billy club attack of +16.

How do you feel about these additions?

Tracking 1 on his Scent as well as Extended. He can smell you/your gun/etc. a distance away and olfactory is only [effectively] close range.

Higher Insight to reflect his Lie Detection? That's such a staple that relegating it to a stunt doesn't feel right.

He's a really good lawyer: his Persuasion should be much higher than +1.

The Close Attack was a typo from my PL10 version. Fixed. Thanks for the catch.

I like the Tracking, and I can take a point off his Will for that. +9 should be fine for a street level game. Raising the Persuasion and Insight would be tricky. Not sure where I would want to trim the points from. I'll take a look at it, though, especially the Insight. His persuasiveness in court could be finagled with his Expertise: Lawyer.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Took a short roadie to Planet Comicon in Kansas City today. Had a blast. That was actually my first convention. Now I am hooked! I love being among my people (us comic geeks that is, I'm around my other "people" every day :wink: ). Spent way too much of the J-Mart profits, though. But it was worth it, got some fun Image comics, lots of trades, met the Bionic Woman (she was really sweet), Gail Simone (she's really funny), Phil Hester, saw some AMAZING art from Skottie Young and others and got to see lots of people in costumes. I'm going to have to really stick to my diet (down 15 pounds since middle of January, but that's a deck chair off the Titanic, really...) and come as Luke Cage next year. 8)

And I'm going to have to stat up a Cyborg PC pretty quick. He and I yapped a bit and he teased me about working harder on my John Stewart costume next time. :D

Shop J-Mart!

cassius335
Champion
Champion

Postby cassius335 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:05 am

Why is Micheal Myers on the Justice League? :P

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:33 am

cassius335 wrote:Why is Micheal Myers on the Justice League? :P

LOL. I'm really not for sure who he was supposed to be. He does look like Michael Myers with a pistol, no doubt! :mrgreen:
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:54 am

We've got some more BLUE LIGHT SPECIALS hitting the J-Mart shelves.

The one thing that whole AOA arc did right...

NIGHTCRAWLER AOA
PL: 10 (175 pts) - OPL: 10 ; DPL: 10

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 3, AGILITY 10, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Acrobatics 6 (+16) [Agile Feint, Skill Mastery], Athletics 9 (+11), Close Combat [Swords] 4 (+14), Deception 4 (+7), Insight 2 (+5), Intimidation 6 (+9), Investigation 3 (+5), Perception 4 (+7), Persuasion (+3), Sleight of Hand 5 (+9), Stealth 4 (+14) [Hide in Plain Sight], Technology 2 (+4), Vehicles 3 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Agile Feint, Defensive Roll (3), Equipment (2), Evasion (1), Grabbing Finesse, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (1) (Swords), Languages (1) (English, 1 other, Base: German), Move-by Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (3), Skill Mastery (1) (Acrobatics), Takedown (1), Weapon Bind

POWERS:
Shadow Blending: Concealment 2 (Visual, Flaw: Blending, Limited [to Shadows]); 1 pt
Wall Crawling: Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling); 4 pts
Night Vision: Senses 2 (Darkvision); 2 pts
Mutant Physique: Extra Limbs 1 (Prehensile Tail), Speed 1 (4 mph), Leaping 1 (15 ft); 3 pts
BAMF!: 22 pt Array; 25 pts
Bamfing: Teleport 9 (2 Miles; Extras: Turnabout, Increased Mass 3 [400 lbs]); 22 pts
Rapid Attack Bamfs: Bludgeoning Strength-based Damage 4 (Extra: Area Burst 2 [60 ft radius], Selective); 1 pt
Sickening Bamfs: Affliction 8 (Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Incapacitated, Extra: Cumulative); 1 pt
Rending: Damage 8 (Extra: Penetrating); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
(10ep)
Twin Rapiers: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 2, Critical 18-20, Extra: Split; 9ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +10
Close Attack +10 [Unarmed +2; Sickening BAMF! Affliction +8; Rending BAMF! +8]
Swords +14 [Twin Rapiers +4, Critical 17-20]
Ranged Attack +7
Special Attack [Rapid Attack BAMF! +6, Area Burst]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +14 [DC24] Parry +14 [DC24]
Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +10

COMPLICATIONS:
Hatred: Due to his almost being sacrificed in a church before being rescued at the last minute by Magneto, he HATES organized religion
Monstrous Appearance: Demonic appearance
Motivation: Hunting down and killing any of the AOA Apocalypse loyal mutants that escaped to this timeline
Prejudice: Mutant
Relationships: He is close to his mother, Mystique

Abilities 74 + Skills 26 (52 ranks) + Advantages 20 + Powers 35 + Defenses 20 = 175 / 175

Comments: With the death of Nightcrawler in the main Marvel-U, a little X-Force crossover into the Age of Apocalypse setting had them bringing back the AOA Nightcrawler to fill the void. Which begs the question of why they offed Kurt in the first place, but I’ve given up trying to understand the machinations of Marvel and DC these days.

I am a fan of the AOA Kurt, though. I have a couple of a the original AOA books and one of them has Kurt and Mystique traveling to Avalon to bring Destiny back to Magneto. In the AOA setting, Kurt Darkholme is very much a bad ass, using his teleportation in wicked ways and not being afraid to kill anyone if they need killin’. During that arc, they were being pursued by Apocalypse’s Pale Rider, one of whom was Dead Man Wade, alias, Deadpool of the AOA-verse. During their big fight, since Dead Man Wade was wreaking havoc and had been driven even MORE insane by his inability to die, Kurt just ported his head off and hid it. It was very cool.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:16 am

Another BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL hits the shelves. This item in our X-Verse line is always a J-Mart Favorite.

[Image
Lots of secrets filling these halls nowadays, Scott. More than normal for people like us. Logan leading a gang off to god knows where. Bloodstained clothes in the laundry. Warren transforming into Archangel again. To say nothing of what you've been up to, Miss Frost. Secrets, Scott. Secrets, Emma. In these times -- these awful, fractious times -- we...are all we have left. I'm taking the X-Club on a mission come daylight. I'll be gone some time. But when I get back, we're having it all out, do you hear me? These secrets will kill us. And I won't stick around to watch it happen.

BEAST

PL: 10 (187 pts) - OPL: 10 ; DPL: 10

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 9, STAMINA 10, AGILITY 8, DEXTERITY 3, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT 9, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Acrobatics 8 (+16) [Accelerated Acrobatics*], Athletics 4 (+13), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+11), Deception (+3), Expertise [Biology] 9 (+18), Expertise [Mutations] 9 (+18), Expertise [Performance] 1 (+10), Expertise [Science] 6 (+15), Insight 4 (+8), Intimidation (+3), Investigation 3 (+12), Perception 5 (+9), Persuasion 8 (+11), Stealth (+8), Technology 4 (+13) [Inventor], Treatment 6 (+15), Vehicles 4 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Accelerated Acrobatics*, Benefit (1) (Ambidexterity), Defensive Attack, Eidetic Memory, Evasion (1), Fighting Climb*, Inventor, Languages (3) (Latin, Japanese, Sh’iar, 7 others, Base: English), Move-by Action, Takedown (1), Teamwork

POWERS:
Beast Size: Growth 2 (+2 Str, +2 Sta, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth, +1 Intimidation, Speed +0, +2 Mass; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 5 pts
Beast Hide: Feature 1 (Insulating Fur); 1 pt
Beast Physiology: Feature 1 (Prehensile Feet), Leaping 2 (30 ft), Speed 3 (16 mph/250 fpr), Movement 1 (Wall Crawling [Speed rank -1]), Regeneration 3 (1/every 3 rounds); 11 pts
Beast Senses: Senses 4 (Low Light Vision, Normal Hearing [Extended], Scent [Acute, Extended]); 4 pts
Pheromones: Perception Ranged Affliction 2 (Resisted/Overcome by Will; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Compelled, Extra: Cumulative, Subtle, Flaw: Limited [to two degrees], Limited [opposite sex only], Sense Dependent [Olfactory]); 4 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +8
Close Attack +8
Unarmed +11 [Unarmed +9]
Ranged Attack +3

DEFENSES:
Dodge +10 [DC20] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +10

COMPLICATIONS:
Fame: He is one of the leading spokesman for the Mutant race in addition to being a world class biologist.
Monstrous Appearance: Anthropomorphic feline appearance can be unsettling for those not used to him.
Phobia: With his mutation constantly in flux, he has a great fear of losing his intelligence and becoming a true beast.
Prejudice: Mutant.
Relationships: Most of the X-Men, although he is very close to Professor X, his fellow "First Class"-mates (even though he and Scott are on the outs right now), Hank Pym, Janet Van Dyne (from his time with the Avengers), and he is currently sort of dating Abigail Brand of S.W.O.R.D.

Abilities 100 + Skills 37 (74 ranks) + Advantages 13 + Powers 25 + Defenses 12 = 187 / 187

Build Comments: I am really happy with the way this PC version of Hank came out. I was going to try and fit him into the PL10/150 pt format, and I will eventually, but I want to do something with my PC builds at their DCA-ish levels so I went this route. Hank is only a PL11 on defense, but he’s a full PL10 unarmed, which felt right, and he’s a kickin’ scientist, tech guy and medic which has really become his main role in the X-Verse as of late. Well, at least before he walked out a little while back, but you know he and Scott will make up eventually.

Secret Origins: Henry Philip "Hank" McCoy was born in Dundee, Illinois, in the United States, to Norton and Edna McCoy. His father, Norton McCoy, is employed at a local nuclear power plant before Henry's birth and was once exposed to intense nuclear radiation, which appears to have caused his son's mutation. Hank is born with a vast intellect, unusually long arms and legs, and unusually large hands and feet for a human; in fact, his body's proportions are comparable to those of a gorilla and later stories reveal his nickname in school was "Magilla Gorilla".

Henry's mutation more fully manifests during adolescence, providing greater strength and agility, and although his powers allow him to briefly excel in athletics during his remaining time at school, he soon attracts the animosity of his fellow students and other non-mutant humans. As he seeks refuge, he is approached by Professor Charles Xavier, who invites him to study at "Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters".

Henry recognizes the opportunities such an institution can offer him and accepts the invitation. He finds the school both a fountain of scientific knowledge and a place of sanctuary and is there introduced to the X-Men, who accept him into their ranks and give him the codename Beast.

The Story so Far: Hank leaves the X-Men shortly after his twentieth birthday, after remarking that he is no longer one of the "strangest teens of all." He becomes a research scientist at the Brand Corporation, a genetics research facility. His assistant, Linda Donaldson, quickly becomes his girlfriend. Hank isolates a "hormonal extract" allowing anyone to become a mutant for a short period of time, and uses the mutagenic serum on himself to disguise his appearance while foiling an attempt to steal his research. However, he waits too long to reverse the process, leaving him permanently transformed. He has grown grey fur (which later turns blue) all over his body and acquired pointed ears, elongated canine teeth, claws, the ability to run on walls and ceilings like a spider, enhanced senses, an accelerated healing factor, and a feral side he struggles to control.

Not long after this transformation, he is recruited to join the Avengers as a provisional member. He is later granted full Avengers membership and remains a member for a few years, becoming a close friend of Wonder Man. He leaves the team periodically to rejoin the X-Men during times of need. He joined the Defenders briefly, as well as the Doom Patrol and helps the original X-Men form X-Factor.

Later, as the world experiences a mutant baby boom, much of the mutant community seemingly begins experiencing "secondary mutations", often taking the form of additional or enhanced abilities. Beast's secondary mutation is "jumpstarted" due to the powers of teammate Sage. The further mutation causes Beast to develop a more feline physique, to which he initially has some trouble adapting and haunted by the possibility that his new form is simply a step in a continuous state of devolution. However, after a period of adjustment, he became comfortable with his new mutation and was his old self again.

Beast had a falling out with Cyclops over Scott's increasingly militant and extremist attitude to protecting the mutant species at all costs, even at the cost of sacrificing his friends to do so. He rejoined the Avengers for a time and after the separations of the X-Men in two teams, Beast is one of them to go with Wolverine to Westchester to open "The Jean Grey School for Higher Learning".

Recently, Beast and Scott have reconciled at least most of their differences and Hank has joined the Justice League at Scott’s request to be his conscience.

Characterization: Hank possesses a brilliant intellect. He is a world-renowned biochemist, having earned Ph.D.s in Biophysics and Genetics, and is the man who cured the Legacy Virus. He frequently functions as both field medic and in-house physician for the X-Men, despite not technically having an MD. His intelligence and expertise in genetics rival that of Professor X, Moira McTaggert, and Kavita Rao. A Renaissance man, McCoy is well-versed in many fields including several languages, literature, philosophy, psychology, and sociology, history, art and art history, anthropology, linguistics, and music, as well as in political science and economics with a special affinity for science and technology and a penchant for quoting literary classics. His vast scientific knowledge ranges from theoretical physics, quantum mechanics, differential equations, nanotechnology, anatomy, biomedicine, analytical chemistry, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering.

Friends and Foes: Hank is one of the most respected men in the superhero community and has several allies thanks to his time with the X-Men, Avengers and other teams. He is closest to his original X-Men teammates and maintains his friendship with Simon Williams, Wonder Man. He is currently in a relationship with Abigail Brand of SWORD, although he seems to take it more seriously than she does most of the time.

His greatest nemesis is Dark Beast, his counterpart from the Age of Apocalypse dimension that was transported and stranged here. The two of them have had many memorable encounters and Hank fears becoming what Dark Hank turned into years ago.

Clean Up 3/22/12: Went away from the PC version and just build him as I wanted him.

Clean Up 8/31/13: Hank gets the Superior Thorpacoverse treatment.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:10 am

Thorpacolypse wrote:

LOL. I'm really not for sure who he was supposed to be. He does look like Michael Myers with a pistol, no doubt! :mrgreen:

That's actually an Iron Age DC character named Wild Dog. Fortunately for you young'uns, us old farts remember things like that. :wink:

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Thorpacolypse » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:56 pm

Horsenhero wrote:
Thorpacolypse wrote:

That's actually an Iron Age DC character named Wild Dog. Fortunately for you young'uns, us old farts remember things like that. :wink:

Hey, I'm an old fart, too! See those graying temples? :wink:

Thanks for the tip! I'm sure when people at work are asking me about the pics that I'll have to explain that one.
Shop J-Mart!

BARON
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: J-Mart 3E: Daredevil, Nightcrawler, Beast

Postby BARON » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:27 pm

i think nightcrawler's funeral was proof of what i've said for years; that without him, the x-men have no interesting dimensions or interactions. he makes them a family. MARVEL can kiss my butt for not using him even in the face of all his popularity, writing him horribly in his own book (not to mention making him an emo kid half the time and having his dad be a devil... or something), and then killing him for no good reason. the funeral reminded all the old readers that kurt was a key player in why the x-men succeeded in the 70s and 80s and probably made a lot of young readers mad who have, doubtless, been waiting and waiting for someone to write something halfway decent with him in it.

plus, they kill too many people in those x-books to begin with.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:03 pm

BARON wrote:i think nightcrawler's funeral was proof of what i've said for years; that without him, the x-men have no interesting dimensions or interactions. he makes them a family. MARVEL can kiss my butt for not using him even in the face of all his popularity, writing him horribly in his own book (not to mention making him an emo kid half the time and having his dad be a devil... or something), and then killing him for no good reason. the funeral reminded all the old readers that kurt was a key player in why the x-men succeeded in the 70s and 80s and probably made a lot of young readers mad who have, doubtless, been waiting and waiting for someone to write something halfway decent with him in it.

plus, they kill too many people in those x-books to begin with.

Plus, all it took was reading the first issue of Generation Hope to realize we'd been screwed. Great character gone...replaced by a crowd of boring ones. But the lead character was yet another Claremont "possibly the most powerful mutant ever" girls...so there's that. :|

Superdad
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Superdad » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:25 am

Nightcrawler dead?
Wow... he is at the very top of my favorite characters/X-men list... even though- as you've mentioned, he's been horrible misused over time. I've been trying to read the draco stuff... but the whole idea sickens me... "let's turn him into a real demon-thing, since he looks so much like one and we've just decided to sell out the X-men overlying theme of diversity and 'don't judge a book by it's cover' ideology."
Just like all the retcon "let's make Xavier a manipulative sicko because we don't like the Silver Age" crap Marvel's been pulling. If I had my way (and the resources and the time and money) I think I'd re-write at least the X-men portion of the timeline starting at 'Fall of the Mutants'. That was a big slap in the face... put together and execute a good story just to crap on it in the last page by telling everyone "you're really not dead".

RIP Kurt... until they dig you up and force you to participate in some other half-@ssed dribble that is so far below what you're capable of as a character.

Return to “Roll Call”