J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:42 pm

So I was sitting around lamenting the end of the holiday season and dreading the long haul until the next non-vacation using 3 day weekend. Not to mention looking at the brand spankin’ new debt we incurred with the Christmas overspending and I was feeling a bit down. I was looking for a way to lift my spirits and then I checked my godson’s Facebook page and I got inspired by the January tradition that his fraternity started for just this type of post holiday blues. So with that, grab a cold beverage of your choice, turn on some sports, or some super hero themed shows, tell your significant other a lie, scratch yourself, and prepare to bid miserable January farewell and join us in celebrating the newest J-Mart Tradition:

MANUARY!!!

That’s right, folks. This MAN is taking back MANHOOD for of all us MEN! Less us not disparage our female compatriots but let us celebrate all that it is to be a MAN! And let’s face it folks, the comics are full of the MANLIEST MEN ever! I mean, it all started with SuperMAN and then BatMAN, then onto Spider-MAN and on and on. Get ready for a HUNGRY MAN sized serving of builds that a MAN can be proud of! So we’re kicking off with our first MANUARY build that certainly fits the bill.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm gonna ask you a question. How you answer it will determine how this night ends. How does a good man decide when to kill? - Agent 47

HITMAN (AGENT-47)
PL: 9 (165 pts) - OPL: 9 ; DPL: 9

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 4, DEXTERITY 5, FIGHTING 10, INTELLECT 3, AWARENESS 4, PRESENCE 0

SKILLS: Acrobatics 3 (+7), Athletics 6 (+9), Close Attack 1 (+13), Deception 7 (+7), Expertise [Assassin] 7 (+10), Expertise [Current Event] 4 (+7), Expertise [Streetwise] 2 (+5), Insight 6 (+10) [Assessment], Intimidation 7 (+7), Investigation 6 (+9) [Well-Informed], Perception 11 (+15) [Skill Mastery], Ranged Combat [Pistols] 1 (+14), Sleight of Hand 4 (+9), Stealth 9 (+13) [Hide in Plain Sight], Technology 2 (+5), Vehicles 2 (+7)

ADVANTAGES: Assessment, Benefit (1) (No ID), Chokehold, Close Attack (3), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (5), Evasion (1), Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (2) (Unarmed, Firearms), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative (1), Improvised Weapon (1), Languages (3) (Russian, Japanese, Spanish, 7 others, Base: English), Precise Attack (1) (Ranged, Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack (8), Skill Mastery (1) (Perception), Takedown (2), Tracking, Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed

POWERS:
NONE

EQUIPMENT:
(25ep)
5ep for various EQ, Weapons needed for job
Cell Phone, Standard: Feature 1 (Cellular Communication), Diminutive; 1ep
Arsenal: (18ep)
Explosives: Ballistic Damage 5, Extra: Ranged Area Burst, Range 25 ft; 15ep
Heavy Pistol: Ballistic Ranged Damage 4; 100 ft range, Small; 1ep
Heavy Machine Pistol: Ballistic Ranged Damage 4, Extra: Multiattack; 100 ft range, Medium; 1ep
Poison Syringe: Affliction 6 (Resisted by Fortitude; 1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned, 3rd: Incapacitated); 1ep
Sword: Slashing Strength-Based Damage 3, Critical 19-20, Medium; 4ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +8
Close Attack +12 [Needle Affliction +6; Sword +6, Critical 19-20]
Unarmed +13 [Unarmed +3, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +13
Pistols +14 [Twin Heavy Pistols +4, Critical 19-20; Heavy Machine Pistols +4, Multiattack]
Special Attack [Explosives +5, Area Burst]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +12 [DC22] Parry +12 [DC22]
Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +10

COMPLICATIONS:
Conflicted: Even though he has been programmed to be assassin for as long as he can remember, he is beginning to have second thoughts about his path in life
Relationships: He is very protective of Nika, the Russian prostitute that he traveled with for a while
Reputation: Even though he is generally thought of as an urban legend, people are very hesitant to associate themselves with him because of his reputation
Responsibility: Fulfilling his contracts

Abilities 66 + Skills 39 (78 ranks) + Advantages 40 + Powers 0 + Defenses 20 = 165 / 165

Comments: I actually liked the HitMAN movie from a few years back with Timothy Oliphant as Agent 47 and apparently it made enough money for a sequel that is supposed to start shooting sometime this year. This build is based on that incarnation since I haven’t really played any of the games. That’s probably why I liked it.

He’s a street level badass extraordinaire. He’s a total beast against mooks and norms, but with no Power Attack, he wouldn’t last long against most supers.

More MANLY builds are on the way!
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Ah, yes...I'm feeling quite MANLY this evening...yes, quite MANLY...

Check out this this MANUARY SPECIAL on Aisle 2!

I call the runt with the claws... - Gorilla Man

GORILLA MAN
PL: 10 (150 pts) - OPL: 10 ; DPL: 10

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 6, STAMINA 7, AGILITY 4, DEXTERITY 4, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 2

SKILLS: Acrobatics 6 (+10), Athletics 7 (+13), Deception 5 (+7), Expertise [Hunter] 5 (+7), Insight 5 (+7), Intimidation 6 (+8), Investigation 5 (+7), Perception 8 (+10), Persuasion (+2), Ranged Combat [Firearms] 2 (+11), Stealth 5 (+9), Treatment 2 (+4), Vehicles 4 (+8)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Animal Empathy, Chokehold, Close Attack (5), Defensive Roll (2), Diehard, Equipment (4), Fast Grab, Improved Aim, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative (1), Languages (2) (5 others, Base: English), Power Attack, Ranged Attack (5), Takedown (1), Tracking

POWERS:
Large Size: Growth 4 (+4 Str, +4 Sta, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth, +2 Intimidation, Speed +1, +4 Mass; Extra: Permanent, Innate); 9 pts
Ape Physiology: Protection 1, Senses 3 (Low Light Vision, Scent [Extended, Acute]), Feature 1 (Prehensile Feet); 5 pts
Mystic Gorilla: Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease); 2 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(20ep)
Commlink: Feature 1 (Radio Communication), Miniscule; 1ep
Arsenal: (18ep)
Fragmentation Grenades: Ballistic Damage 5, Extra: Ranged Area Burst, Range 25 ft; 15ep
Heavy Pistol: Ballistic Ranged Damage 4; 100 ft range, Small; 1ep
Assault Rifle: Ballistic Ranged Damage 5, Extra: Multi-Attack; 125 ft range, Large; 1ep
Knife: Piercing Strength-Based Damage 1, Critical 19-20, Small; 1ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +8
Close Attack +13 [Unarmed +6; Knife +7, Critical 19-20]
Ranged Attack +9
Firearms +11 [Heavy Pistol +4; Machine Guns +6, Multiattack]
Special Attack [Frag Grenades +5, Area Burst]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +8 [DC18] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +10

COMPLICATIONS:
Monstrous Appearance: Ken is stuck in the Gorilla Man body forever which makes it a bit difficult for him to function in normal society most of the time
Responsibility: As an Agent of Atlas, he has a responsibility to fulfill his duties to the team

Abilities 54 + Skills 30 (60 ranks) + Advantages 29 + Powers 16 + Defenses 21 = 150 / 150

Comments: Ken Hale, the erstwhile Gorilla MAN. Haven’t read much of Agents of Atlas, but it what I have I liked. Too Doom Patrol-y to last, though, I think. Anyway, Ken was a big game hunter who wants immortality, found out about the Gorilla MAN, went to kill him, backed out, then the Gorilla MAN attacked him and he had to kill him out of self-defense but when he did, the Gorilla MAN curse was passed to him. So he is know an immortal man trapped in a gorilla’s body, much like Congorilla.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: J-Mart: It's MANUARY at J-Mart! - HitMAN

Post by ClassDunce » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:01 pm

I enjoyed the Hitman movie too, of course I enjoy Timothy Olyphant for completely different reasons then you do and personally I think he does look a lot better with hair. He has those little tufts of grey at his temples that just works for him and well for me. The Hitman movie was fun, it wasn't a work of art or anything but the fight he had with the Hitmen in the train or bus or whatever was really solid. All of them bald and dressed just a like. The Katana's were a little goofy though I don't know if that was a hold over from the game or not but I it didn't really work for me.

I can understand knives those are practical and becomes a battle of attrition because nobody wins a knife fight. By the way if any of you recognize the "Nobody wins a Knife fight" quote and can name the novel it's from you officially win an awesome point.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Oh MAN, what a day. I'm pooped. But you can't keep a good MAN down! Or me!

MANUARY continues with one of the THE MANLIEST builds I have ever done, or will do. Brace yourself for the epic MANLINESS of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HofoK_QQxGc

THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN
PL: 7 (120 pts) - OPL: 7 ; DPL: 7

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2 [7], STAMINA 3 [4], AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 3, PRESENCE 3

SKILLS: Acrobatics 2 (+4), Athletics (+7), Close Combat [Unarmed] 1 (+7), Deception 4 (+7/+9) [Attractive], Expertise [Astronaut] 5 (+6), Expertise [Secret Agent] 5 (+6), Insight 3 (+6), Intimidation (+3), Investigation 6 (+7), Perception 6 (+9), Persuasion 4 (+7/+9) [Attractive, Connected], Stealth 5 (+7), Vehicles 7 (+9)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Attractive (1), Benefit (1) (OSI Clearance), Connected, Equipment (1), Extraordinary Effort, Ranged Attack (2)

ENHANCED ADVANTAGES (BIONIC LEGS): Great Endurance

ENHANCED ADVANTAGES (BIONIC EYE): Improved Aim, Ranged Attack (3)

POWERS:
Bionic Arm: Enhanced Strength 5 (Quirk: Right arm only), Enhanced Dodge 1, Enhanced Parry 1; 11 pts
Bionic Legs: Enhanced Stamina 1, Enhanced Advantages 1 (see Advantages), Speed 5 (60 mph), Leaping 2 (30 ft); 10 pts
Bionic Eye: Enhanced Advantages 4 (see Advantages), Enhanced Skills 1 (Perception 2 ranks), Senses 6 (Normal Vision [Extended 2, Rapid], Infravision, Darkvision); 11 pts

EQUIPMENT:
(5ep)
OSI Commlink: Feature 1 (Radio Communication; OSI HQ), Miniscule; 1ep

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +6
Unarmed +7 [Left Arm Unarmed +2; Right Arm Unarmed +7]
Ranged Attack +7

DEFENSES:
Dodge +8 [DC18] Parry +8 [DC18]
Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Disability: When Steve's bionics are damaged, they do not self-repair, he must be repaired by someone trained in bionics
Relationships: He has had a long time off and on relationship with Jaime Sommers, the Bionic Woman. He is also close to Oscar Goldman and Dr. Rudy Wells
Responsibility: To work for the OSI and the USA
Rivalry: The Seven Million Dollar Man, Barney Miller (not the Hal Linden character from the excellent 70's cop comedy)
Secret Identity: Steve generally tries keep his bionic abilities secret to aid in his undercover missions
Vulnerable: Extremely cold temperatures can impair his bionic functions

Abilities 44 + Skills 23 (46 ranks) + Advantages 15 + Powers 26 + Defenses 12 = 120 / 120

Comments: You just don't get any more MANLY then Lee Majors. He was banging Farrah Fawcett-Majors when she was at her peak, he was The Fall Guy, he saved Santa (see Scrooged) and he was THE MAN as Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar MAN. And he's still being MANLY into his twilight years by voicing General Hawk on the newest G.I. Joe series. That show was a phenomenon for a couple of years then died quickly, but man when it was hot, nobody was cooler than Lee Majors. Heck, he could take out 2-3 mooks just with the collars of his kickin' polyester leisure suits! And that hair...it never moved. I think IT was bionic...

As a build, I had a hard time nailing his strength. I always though he was limited to like 5 strength, but then I watched some clips and realized he threw stuff around that was WAY beyond the limits of what a human could throw based on what your body would need to support, no matter how strong the arm was. But it was 70's sci-fi, so what the hell, he gets 7 strength. That's "peak" human anyway, even though no human will ever lift 3 tons unaided.

That show was HUGE when I was a kid in the early 70's. You would see dozens off us kids at recess running in slow motion and leaping off the monkey bars while shouting "nananananana" (imitating the "bionic sound", of course) pretending to be Steve. Or we would bring our 12" Six Million Dollar [/b]MAN[/b] action figures that were loaded with lead based paint and look through the little built in telescope in the back of his head that was supposed to simulate his bionic eye and think it was the coolest thing ever. You can keep your iPhones, iPads, Ninendo DS and 24-hours of cartoons, you young whippersnappers. Give me a Stretch Armstong that leaked toxic goo once you stretched it too much and a brief 4 hours of cartoons a week on Saturday morning any day.
Shop J-Mart!

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Re: J-Mart: HAPPY MANUARY! - The Six Million Dollar MAN

Post by Goldar » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:13 am

Thanks for finally posting SMDM Steve Austin, Thorp!

An excellent build done perfectly!

I have been anxiously awaiting this and was not disappointed! Great pics as well.

Two minor points:
1) Adversary-turned-friend Barney Miller (the Seven Million Dollar Man) was renamed Barney Hiller in his second appearance (The Bionic Criminal) to avoid confusion with the TV series of the same name.

2) The Bionics of both Steve and Jaime became useless even as normal limbs in the presence of severe cold, such as freezers, icy waters and very cold outdoor temperatures. Warming the limbs returned them to normal. The Eye and Ear were not affected.

I agree with the strength level (7) being correct for the 1970's show. I think Steve was far stronger than the TV series sometimes showed us because they wanted to keep him human, and not make him seem like some superman, which is what interviews of writers and directors have said in the past.

*The only thing is, in the last reunion movie (somewhere around 1994), Jaime was said to have undergone a "Massive Upgrade in strength and powers" which gave her among other things bionic vision with targeting capabilities, and Steve was also to receive these powers upgrade. We really don't know how much stronger/faster they became. Perhaps they became closer to the newer cyborgs, Steve Austin, Jr (1987) or Kate Mason (1989) versions? *

Sidious
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Sidious » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:33 pm

I'm really enjoying the new series by Kevin Smith it's a nice melding of the book & series with an updated, modern twist.
Live fast. Love hard. Die with your mask on.

Gilliam
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Gilliam » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:18 pm

So is Buck Rogers coming up?

cassius335
Champion
Champion

Post by cassius335 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Gilliam wrote:So is Buck Rogers coming up?
Given there's no "Man" in "Buck Rodgers", I'm guessing not...

cbwjm
Henchman
Henchman

Post by cbwjm » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:59 pm

What about the man from the Old Spice commercials? Call him the Old Spice Man and he fits in to Manuary. Of course he may have too much awesome to be properly statted out in MnM :D

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Earth-Two_Kenn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:21 pm

What about Steve's OSI boss, Oscar GoldMAN? Will he be written up?
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:40 pm

cassius335 wrote:
Gilliam wrote:So is Buck Rogers coming up?
Given there's no "Man" in "Buck Rodgers", I'm guessing not...
Oh, I don't know about that. Gil Gerard was pretty f'n MANLY in that show. He may make the cut. 8)

cbwjm wrote:What about the man from the Old Spice commercials? Call him the Old Spice Man and he fits in to Manuary. Of course he may have too much awesome to be properly statted out in MnM :D
Ooooo....I hadn't thought about him. I was considering The Most Interesting MAN in the World, but he might deserve some dap. The question is whether I can build him accurately at under PL20... :wink:
Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:What about Steve's OSI boss, Oscar GoldMAN? Will he be written up?
Maybe. I don't remember much about him. He might get it in as well. I am splitting time between the MANUARY builds and getting ready for a big Black History Month Special, so I'm going to have to narrow the list.
Shop J-Mart!

JoshuaDunlow
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by JoshuaDunlow » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:03 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:
Oh, I don't know about that. Gil Gerard was pretty f'n MANLY in that show. He may make the cut. 8)
Damn Straight. Loved that show. I think i was gonna do some 2e builds a while ago of Buck.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:35 pm

Being a MAN isn't always about being the roughest and toughest. Sometimes being a MAN is just doing your job. And this MAN knows how to job...

Representing our JOB SQUAD here on MANUARY, let's enjoy this build that's getting stocked on Aisle 2.

Since Johnny Cash was the MAN in Black, considering his record against the Marvel heroes, I guess he's the MAN in Black and Blue...

MAN MOUNTAIN MARKO
PL: 9 (85 pts) - OPL: 9 ; DPL: 8

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 9, STAMINA 8, AGILITY 1, DEXTERITY 1, FIGHTING 6, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+11), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+9), Deception (+1), Expertise [Performance] 4 (+4), Expertise [Streetwise] 3 (+3), Insight (+1), Intimidation 8 (+9), Perception (+1), Persuasion (+1), Stealth (+1)

ADVANTAGES: All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Crushing Pin*, Fast Grab, Interpose

POWERS:
Enhanced Physiology: Protection 2, Immunity 1 (Pressure), Feature 1 (Increased Mass); 4 pts

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +1
Close Attack +6
Unarmed +9 [Unarmed +9]
Ranged Attack +1

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 [DC16] Parry +6 [DC16]
Toughness +10, Fortitude +11, Will +5

COMPLICATIONS:
Nemesis: Daredevil
Responsibility: To whoever is paying him at the time, usually The Owl or The Kingpin

Abilities 54 + Skills 10 (20 ranks) + Advantages 5 + Powers 4 + Defenses 12 = 85 / 85

Comments: I loves me some MAN Mountain Marko. I actually had the comic where he debuted against Spider-MAN when I was kid, but lord knows what happened to it. He’s a big, dumb (even though I kept his intellect at 0, which I might reconsider) brick mook and that’s all he’s ever tried to be, which I respect. Apparently he used to be a singer, too, so I gave some ranks in Performance. I always like my jobbers to have something fall back on…

Secret Origins: Man Mountain Marko has been shown to have superhuman strength and endurance, roughly comparable to if not slightly exceeding that of Spider-Man. It has been said this is a result of steroids and genetic manipulation.

The Story so Far: Marko was first seen as Silvermane's loyal lieutenant in an incident dealing with an ancient tablet which he stole. He attacked Curtis Connors when he thinks the formula he created has killed Silvermane. Marko was quickly defeated by Spider-Man.

Marko, along with the villains Eel, Discus and Stiletto robbed the Debutante Ball of Millie Hogarth. Unfortunately, for them, Millie's father was the agent for Power Man and Iron Fist, who were called in to defeat the villains.

During a trip to gather protection money, Marko had some sort of breakdown and trashed an entire bar, with Spider-Man inside of it. Investigative reporter Ben Urich told Spider-Man that Marko had apparently also kidnapped a child. Ben knew of a facility where Marko was known to work out. Spider-Man found steroids in Marko's locker. The owner of the gym told him that the Maggia genetically altered Marko in order to make him stronger. Spider-Man stole the information from the Maggia and confronted Marko at his home. Eventually Marko was subdued and it turns out the kid he 'kidnapped' simply had a twisted sense of hero worship, admiring Marko's size and strength.

Man Mountain Marko was later seen as a sexually threatening hitman sent after private investigator Jessica Jones. This was part of a conspiracy by a powerful business magnate who wished to use Jones and Captain America as a way to humiliate the current President of the United States. Jones severely beat Marko, then literally threw him at the feet of the businessman, who was in the middle of a golf game. Marko and his bosses were soon arrested by Clay Quartermain and the forces of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Later, Marko developed a singing career focusing on the concept of violence against female super-heroes. While on a plane with the super-hero Dazzler he became enraged over the perceived lack of alcohol. He injured passengers and took a hostage, whose wrist he breaks to prove he was serious. Dazzler, at low power, managed to subdue him.

He has been seen recently in Gotham City meeting with the crime lord Black Mask.

Characterization: Marko is a super strong thug, plain and simple.

Friends and Foes: He works for whoever he can find to give him a job. He has had several run-ins with Daredevil.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: J-Mart: MANUARY - $6 Million MAN, MAN Mountain Marko

Post by Earth-Two_Kenn » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:41 am

What about Dr. Jonathan Chase, MANimal?
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

death tribble
Disciple
Disciple

Re: J-Mart: MANUARY - $6 Million MAN, MAN Mountain Marko

Post by death tribble » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:31 am

If you are going to do one Steve Austin then you ought to do the other. Stone Cold Steve Austin that is.

But if there needs to be a man reference then consider Ric 'To be the Man, you have to beat the Man' Flair.
Dangerous when cute