J-Mart: Preparing for Relocation... :)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: J-Mart: Donald, Best Tiger, Set, Embrace, Octoboss

Post by saint_matthew » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:46 am

danelsan wrote:The Invincible universe has some of the best hero and villain names to ever grace the pages of a comic book
Which is funny when you consider how bad the Invincible universe was pre-Invincible. In the Capes Inc era it was essentially a parody comic universe, outside of the Noble family. It wasn't until Kirman wrote Invincible & Faeber wrote Dynamo 5 did the universe transform into a real universe.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:13 am

Let's move over to one my favorite types of additions to our Villains Line, our JOB SQUAD line! Check out this new item for Aisle 6!

Doing the job with pink tentacles coming out of your chest? That takes a REAL man.

TETHER TYRANT
PL: 10 (133 pts) - OPL: 10 ; DPL: 10

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 3 [10], STAMINA 3 [8], AGILITY 2, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 8, INTELLECT 0, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+12), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+10), Deception 4 (+5), Expertise [Criminal] 6 (+6), Expertise [Streetwise] 6 (+6), Insight 4 (+5), Intimidation 6 (+7), Perception 3 (+4), Persuasion (+1), Sleight of Hand 3 (+5), Stealth (+2), Vehicles 4 (+6)

ADVANTAGES: Benefit [Ambidexterity], Chokehold, Damaging Escape*, Defensive Roll (2), Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Teamwork

POWERS:
Symbiotic Harness: 69 pts Traits, Removable (-14 pts), Extra: Restricted (only to those deemed worthy by the symbiote); 55 pts
Symbiotic Enhancements: Enhanced Strength 7, Enhanced Stamina 5; 24 pts
Tentacle Flailing: Enhanced Dodge 3, Enhanced Parry 2; 5 pts
Tentacle Array: 40 pt Array; 41 pts
Tentacle Snare: Ranged Cumulative Affliction 12 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Strength/Damage, 1st: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd: Defenseless and Immobilized; Extra: Accurate 3, Extra Condition, Flaw: Limited to two Degrees); 39 pts
Tentacle Grabbing: Extra Limbs 4 (4 Tentacles), Enhanced Advantages 6 (Benefit [Ambidexterity], Chokehold, Damaging Escape*, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Trip); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +2
Close Attack +8
Unarmed +10 [Unarmed +10]
Ranged Attack +2
Tentacle Snare +8 [Tentacle Snare Affliction +12]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +7 (+10 with Tentacles) [DC17/20] Parry +8 (+10 with Tentacles) [DC18/20]
Toughness +10 (+8 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +11, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: Money and respect.
Relationships: He is good friends with Magmaniac.
Symbiotic Influence: Tether Tyrant has a symbiotic relationship with the tentacle harness that he wears and it's influence grows the longer he wears it, making him more aggressive and irrational at times. If he gives in completely the symbiote, they can become a threat of super team level proportions.

Abilities 40 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Advantages 4 + Powers 55 + Defenses 14 = 133 / 133

Build Comments: Tether Tyrant is another one-note villain, but it’s a pretty damn good note. He wears a symbiotic harness that has like 30 tentacles that he can use to Snare or grab his opponents with. Invincible had a hard time breaking out of it, so I figure a 12 rank Affliction along with 10 strength should be enough to give Mark a hard time without making him work to hard to take TT down.

The last arc with Tether Tyrant was pretty good, where he and Magmaniac (coming eventually) try to go straight, but can’t make it work so they go on “one last job” and Magmaniac doesn’t make it. The influence of the symbiote takes over and TT becomes a threat that requires a whole GOG team to deal with. I love when they let a jobber have a badass moment in the sun every now and then.

Secret Origins: It is not yet known how he acquired his symbiotic harness, but years ago, he bonded with it and has used it’s powers to accumulate over 200 known kills and be at the top of several most wanted lists.

The Story so Far: Tether Tyrant works the freelance circuit as a hitman or enforcer for criminal gangs. Tether Tyrant has worked briefly for the Chicago based Vicious Circle and as muscle for the crime lord Machine Head on several occasions. Recently, Machine Head hired Tether Tyrant and several other super-thugs as bodyguards, but the contract was short lived. Machine Head and nearly all his henchmen were defeated in a pitched battle with Invincible and the new Guardians of the Globe.

Tether Tyrant was in federal custody at an undisclosed location, but later escaped with Magmaniac before being captured by Invincible again. After trying to go straight, but finding that it wasn’t working out for them, Tether Tyrant and Magmaniac were employed by Titan again to take down Machine Head once and for all. But when Magmaniac was killed by Machine Head's body guard, Vault, Tyrant fully bonded with his symbiote, but went insane in the process before Brit and the Guardians were able to calm him down. He surrendered and was taken back to prison.

Characterization: He’s pretty much a career thug, content to do work for hire for a decent wage and it also offers variety and travel opportunities. The closest he came to solo work are the team-ups with his occasional partner and sometime friendly rival, Magmaniac.

Friends and Foes: His best friend was Magmaniac, who recently perished. He talks to his symbiote a lot so apparently it is his closest confidant. He’s run afoul of several heroes, but has his strongest rivalries with Savage Dragon, Nightwing and Invincible.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Re: J-Mart: Set, Embrace, Octoboss, Walking Dread, Tether Ty

Post by scc » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:21 pm

I am not familiar with these characters but they look like a lot of fun. Great names!! And nice builds too.

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Post by JonL » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:31 pm

One of the books I would LOVE to do for M&M3 is an Invincible Universe sourcebook.

So many good characters and the universe hasn't grown to completely unwieldy size yet.

Great stuff, Thorp!
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:38 pm

JonL wrote:One of the books I would LOVE to do for M&M3 is an Invincible Universe sourcebook.

So many good characters and the universe hasn't grown to completely unwieldy size yet.

Great stuff, Thorp!
And I know a guy who would contribute some mediocre builds to that book for sure! 8)
Shop J-Mart!

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Post by JonL » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:
JonL wrote:One of the books I would LOVE to do for M&M3 is an Invincible Universe sourcebook.

Great stuff, Thorp!
And I know a guy who would contribute some mediocre builds to that book for sure! 8)
Hmmm, you don't say?
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:49 pm

We're keeping our JOB SQUAD run going with this new item!

*sniff* Seeing the two of them together like that....*sniff*....makes the eyes get a little misty...A great jobber bromance cut down in its prime...*sniff*...

MAGMANIAC
PL: 9 (144 pts) - OPL: 9 ; DPL: 9

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2, STAMINA 2, AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 5, INTELLECT 1, AWARENESS 2, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Athletics 2 (+4), Deception 3 (+4), Expertise [Criminal] 4 (+5), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidation (+1), Perception 2 (+4), Persuasion 4 (+5), Ranged Combat [Magma Control] 6 (+8), Stealth (+3)

ADVANTAGES: Teamwork

POWERS:
Magma Form: 73 pts Traits
Human Spot Welder: Feature 1 (Precisely spot-welding metals (also a potential use of Precise Fire Damage, at the GM’s discretion); 1 pt
Human Microwave: Feature 1 (Heating up or cooking food from the inside out like a microwave oven [as opposed to simply charring it from the outside like a cook-fire, which any fire Damage effect may do]); 1 pt
Magma Body: Insubstantial 1, Protection 4, Reaction Damage 5 (Extra: Reaction [when touched]), Immunity 10 (Heat/Fire Effects); 39 pts
Magma Control: 30 pt Array; 32 pts
Magma Blast: Ranged Magma Damage 10 (Extra: Penetrating 10); 1 pt
Magma Stream: Line Area Magma Damage 10 (Extra: Line Area [5 ft wide, 30 ft long], Penetrating 10); 30 pts
Melt: Ranged Weaken Toughness 10 (Flaw: Affects Objects Only [no recovery, must be repaired]); 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +3
Close Attack +5 [Unarmed +2; Magma Aura +5, Reaction]
Ranged Attack +2
Magma Control +8 [Magma Blast +10; Melt +10]
Special Attack [Magma Stream +9, Area Line]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +10 [DC20] Parry +10 [DC20]
Toughness +2 (+6 in Magma Form), Fortitude +7, Will +7

COMPLICATIONS:
Accident: Magmaniac has to be careful where he activates his plasma form, or he can melt right through a floor or something else jobber-like.
Motivation: Money and respect.
Relationships: He is best friends with Tether Tyrant.
Vulnerable: He's vulnerable to cold or water based effects, taking an extra degree of failure against them.

Abilities 36 + Skills 12 (24 ranks) + Advantages 1 + Powers 73 + Defenses 22 = 144 / 144

Build Comments: Magmaniac is similar to Furnace, but without the power armor and a lot more jobbery. I almost made him PL8 since he has done some serious jobber stuff in his time, but I left him where he is for now. In his first appearance, he took himself out by activating his aura and melting through the floor. Funny stuff.

Later on, he got one punched by Bulletproof/Invincble II, I think. And then he finally met his demise later on, setting off his best friend Tether Tyrant and allowing him to fully submit to his symbiote and becoming a serious threat. All in all, a fine career for a crappy villain like him.

Secret Origins: Nobody knows the true identity or the origin of the villian Magmaniac. He began his criminal career seven years ago with a series of deadly robberies and has left a trail of molten destruction in his wake ever since.

The Story so Far: The "human volcano" specializes in robbing banks by burning through vault doors. Magmaniac is a ruthless criminal, responsible for the deaths of security guards, bank tellers, armored car drivers and innocent witnesses. After incinerating an entire police SWAT team in Houston, Texas, Magmaniac caught the attention of the spectacularly unsuccessful villian group The Masters of Terror. He was recruited by the Masters, but within weeks was stewing in a special prison cell after a botched heist. Fortunately for him, Magmaniac was teleported out of his holding cell by Isotope, the right-hand man of the crimelord Machine Head. Magmaniac began working as a bodyguard for Machine Head shortly before a decisive battle with the Guardians of the Globe and Invincible. During the fight, Magmaniac was defeated by the miniature hero Shrinking Ray. Once again Magmaniac languished in a special cell, unable to use his deadly magma powers - for now.

After being released from prison along with Tether Tyrant; both men tried to live the normal civilian life and trying not to commit any crimes. However, realizing that the normal life does not suit them they decided to go back to their old ways. After their fight with Invincible, they joined with Titan and went to their old boss, Machine Head to take him down. While they were fighting their old boss, one of his henchmen, Vault attacked Magmaniac and was able to kill him by destroying his consciousness while in lava form, thus ending his life, much to Tether Tyrant's dismay.

Characterization: Magmaniac a career jobber villain with a mean streak, but lacks the intelligence to be a true threat.

Friends and Foes: His closest friend was Tether Tyrant and he had great dislike for Invincible after his defeats at his hands.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:28 am

JonL wrote:
Thorpacolypse wrote:

Great stuff, Thorp!
Hmmm, you don't say?
Fine, i'll do it... Just stop begging. :lol:

But seriously. got to love the Kirkman-verse... I sometime wish that Kirkman had been called in to invent the (Emerald City) Sentinels... Especially Mongrel. If we could get the art designer for the Kirkman verse too, that would have been awesome.

Keep up the good work Thorp.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: J-Mart: Octoboss, Walking Dread, Tether Tyrant, Magmania

Post by kenmadragon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:14 am

Hey, just want to say I am back from my trip, and will start working on getting a superheroish game set in the Thorpacaverse in a bit. Just want to gauge current interest for such, as well as type and style of game people are currently interested, as well as potential ideas and concepts. We'll likely be playing at PL 8 or 9 with around 3-5 characters/players in a blend between cinematic and traditional approaches. The tone is likely to be hopeful, with dastardly villains who are truly horrible, as well as some more nonsensical humorous scenes. A world that can be grim and harsh, but with heroes who have hope to do better. Characters would have individual adventures as well as group adventures, much like in the Crinoverse, so characters should be half-way competent by themselves, and not be entirely dependent on others to function. Character growth (as in personality, not PP totals you greedy lot!) is encouraged, hopefully organic relating to events in the game. Gaming itself, well I would prefer if people could post daily at the least, more than once a day is nice, though I will likely not enforce such. Thus, the game will hopefully move quickly, rather than having something like stretching out a single scene over a month or more like some games have.

Also, I got some old Phantom comics from India (they change a bunch of the names of stuff, but they are still good comics) and wonder why there hasn't been a build for the Phantom yet. I mean, he was the precursor to the Batman, and most of the mystery men of comics, one of the original costumed adventurers, with a great history and character. Plus, he could easily be incorporated into thr Thorpacaverse, and I was hoping to have him cameo in a future adventure (sometime later in the game). So, would it be all right if I submitted a Phantom build for thr J-Mart and Thorpacaverse?

Khakhan
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Khakhan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Hey, Thorp. Just thought I'd finally toss you the props you deserve after stalking your work for the longest, so...

GREAT WORK!

Also, I was wondering if you'd be rebuilding the New/Young X-Men at all?

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:36 pm

Khakhan wrote:Hey, Thorp. Just thought I'd finally toss you the props you deserve after stalking your work for the longest, so...

GREAT WORK!

Also, I was wondering if you'd be rebuilding the New/Young X-Men at all?
Thanks, Khakhan! And yes, I plan on a big X-run after I hit Build 1000 and get my fantasy going in the Game Room. I've been reading Wolverine and The X-Men from the beginning and I have the new Uncanny X-Men on my monthly pull list so I have young mutants on my mind a lot right now. 8)
Shop J-Mart!

Khakhan
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Khakhan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:44 pm

Excellent news!

I'm currently working through Invincible TPBs as fast my earnings allow (which is, unfortunately not as fast as I'd like :() on your recommendation. Then I have to work through Dynamo 5 which is next up on my personal pull list.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:29 pm

kenmadragon wrote:Hey, just want to say I am back from my trip, and will start working on getting a superheroish game set in the Thorpacaverse in a bit. Just want to gauge current interest for such, as well as type and style of game people are currently interested, as well as potential ideas and concepts. We'll likely be playing at PL 8 or 9 with around 3-5 characters/players in a blend between cinematic and traditional approaches. The tone is likely to be hopeful, with dastardly villains who are truly horrible, as well as some more nonsensical humorous scenes. A world that can be grim and harsh, but with heroes who have hope to do better. Characters would have individual adventures as well as group adventures, much like in the Crinoverse, so characters should be half-way competent by themselves, and not be entirely dependent on others to function. Character growth (as in personality, not PP totals you greedy lot!) is encouraged, hopefully organic relating to events in the game. Gaming itself, well I would prefer if people could post daily at the least, more than once a day is nice, though I will likely not enforce such. Thus, the game will hopefully move quickly, rather than having something like stretching out a single scene over a month or more like some games have.

Also, I got some old Phantom comics from India (they change a bunch of the names of stuff, but they are still good comics) and wonder why there hasn't been a build for the Phantom yet. I mean, he was the precursor to the Batman, and most of the mystery men of comics, one of the original costumed adventurers, with a great history and character. Plus, he could easily be incorporated into thr Thorpacaverse, and I was hoping to have him cameo in a future adventure (sometime later in the game). So, would it be all right if I submitted a Phantom build for thr J-Mart and Thorpacaverse?
Well you go boy! After you and EnigmaticOne badgered me enough, I'm getting my feet wet with a fantasy game and once I get my GM legs back, I'll do a modern superhero game if all goes well. Let me know if I can assist with anything. I'm actually getting ready to some refining of my setting once I get a few more builds up, so hopefully that will help you.

Speaking of which...
Shop J-Mart!

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Thorpacolypse » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:34 pm

Another new item in our best selling JOB SQUAD LINE hits the Aisle 6 shelves!

Full time jobber, part time space heater.

FURNACE
PL: 9 (153 pts) - OPL: 9 ; DPL: 9

ABILITIES: STRENGTH 2 [4] [8], STAMINA 4 [6], AGILITY 3, DEXTERITY 2, FIGHTING 4, INTELLECT 2, AWARENESS 1, PRESENCE 1

SKILLS: Athletics (+4/+8), Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 (+8), Deception 4 (+5), Expertise [Criminal] 4 (+6), Insight (+1), Intimidation 5 (+6/+7), Perception 2 (+3), Persuasion (+1), Stealth (+3/+1), Technology 7 (+9)

ADVANTAGES: Improved Aim, Power Attack, Ranged Attack (2/6)

POWERS:
Plasma Form: Insubstantial 1 (Flaw: Permanent), Reaction Damage 5 (Extra: Reaction [to being touched], Flaw: Permanent), Immunity 10 (Fire/Heat Effects); 35 pts
Plasma Blast: Ranged Plasma Damage 7; 14 pts
Furnace Armor: 45 pts Traits, Removable (-9 pts); 36 pts
Big Armor: Growth 2 (+2 Str, +2 Sta, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth, +1 Intimidation, Speed +0, +2 Mass; Extra: Innate, Permanent); 5 pts
Armor Plating: Protection 5, Impervious 5; 15 pts
Targeting Sensors: Enhanced Advantages 5 (Improved Aim, Ranged Attack 4); 5 pts
Plasma Control: 18 pt Array; 20 pts
Plasma Stream: Line Area Damage 9 (Extra: Line Area [5 ft wide, 30 ft long]); 18 pts
Plasma Focus: Enhanced Plasma Ranged Damage 3; 1 pt
Hydraulic Servos: Enhanced Strength 4; 1 pt

EQUIPMENT:
NONE

OFFENSE:
Initiative +3
Close Attack +4 [Plasma Aura +5, Reaction]
Unarmed +8 [Unarmed +2; Armor Unarmed +8]
Ranged Attack +4 [Plasma Blast +7]
Armor Ranged Attack +8 [Armored Plasma Blast +10]
Special Attack [Plasma Stream +9, Area Line]

DEFENSES:
Dodge +6 (+5 in Armor) [DC16/15] Parry +8 (+7 in Armor) [DC18/17]
Toughness +4 (+11 in Armor, +5 Impervious in Armor), Fortitude +7 (+9 in Armor), Will +5

COMPLICATIONS:
Motivation: Money and respect
Power Loss: His armor eliminates his Reaction Damage and Insubstantial effects of his plasma form

Abilities 38 + Skills 13 (26 ranks) + Advantages 3 + Powers 85 + Defenses 14 = 153 / 153

Build Comments: Furnace is a weird build, but a cool concept. He’s got a permanent plasma form that is contained in his armor that helps him focus his powers and provides additional protection and strength for him. He's basically Magmaniac in a battlesuit. I could really see doing a suped-up version of him to be a real threat at some point, but I like him in jobber mode.

Secret Origins: Nothing is known about his origins yet, only that he is a mutant that needs his Battlesuit to be able to operate without damaging everything around him.

The Story so Far: Furnace has been a low level villain that has worked for Lex Luthor and Crossfire, but generally is a henchmen for The Order.

Characterization: He’s a career jobber villain.

Friends and Foes: He’s been beaten up by the best, but he dislikes Invincible and Hawkeye the most.
Last edited by Thorpacolypse on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shop J-Mart!

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Post by saint_matthew » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:39 pm

Khakhan wrote:I'm currently working through Invincible TPBs as fast my earnings allow
Me too: I've sold the single issues due to not having enough of them & because i'm slowly swapping my entire single issue collection out for trades. I've already got 1-3 for the invincible trades & i'm about to pull the trigger on trades 4-10.
-Isaac Asimov