Tarot Witch of the Black Rose for 3rd Ed.

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
WebWarlock
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Tarot Witch of the Black Rose for 3rd Ed.

Post by WebWarlock » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:54 pm

Hey all. Been a long time since I have been here. I just picked up 3rd Edition today and I got a bunch of Tarot comics for Christmas, I thought I'd give them both a spin.

Tarot, Witch of the Black Rose

Real name: Rowan Gender: Female Age: mid-20s Height: 5'9" Weight: 140 lbs Hair: Red Eyes: Green
Group Affiliation: The Black Rose Coven. Base of Operation: Witches' Hollow, Salem, MA

Power Level: 9

Abilities
STR: 2 AGL: 3 FGT: 4 AWE: 4
STA: 3 DEX: 2 INT: 3 PRE: 5

Dodge: 6
Parry: 6
Fortitude: 5
Toughness: 6/3
Will: 5
Armor +3

Advantages
All out attack, Artificer, Attractive 2, Benefit (Black Rose Witch), Connected, Contacts, Diehard, Equipment (Sword and Armor), Extraordinary Effort, Languages (English, Latin), Minion 3 ("Pooka" her flying Goblin Cat), Power Attack, Precise Attack (all), Prone Fighting

Skills
Acrobatics +7, Athletics +6, Close combat (sword) +12, Deception +7, Expertise (Magic) +11, Insight +6, Intimidation +5, Investigation +5, Perception +6, Persuasion +7, Sleight of Hand +5, Stealth +5, Treatment +5

Powers
Healing 2
Magic 5 (Dynamic)
Eye bite (Blast, does not require hands) 2
Dazzle 2
Flight 5
Forcefield 5
Impervious Toughness 3
Teleport 5
Magickal Senses (Awarness: Magic, Precognition (limited to Tarot's loved ones and to tarot card images)) 3
Telekinesis (Move Object) 5

Complications
Rival: Raven Hex (sister)
Enemy: Dragon Witches
Prejudice: Wiccan
Relationships: Jon "Skeleton Man" Webb (lover), Boo Cat (lover), Mother (mother)

Power Points
Abilities: 52 Powers: 34 Advantages: 21 Skills: 20 Defenses: 8 = 135 pp

This version of Tarot focuses on her fighting ability. She admits herself that she is not the most powerful witch, magic wise, around, but she has had quite a bit of training with the sword and in combat as a Swordmaiden of the Goddess. I also wanted to focus on the magical nature of her armor. Sure she goes to the same armorsmith as Red Sonja, but there is a magical aura about it that protects her all the same.

I opted for PL 9 here. She could not stand toe to toe with the likes of Zatanna or even Willow and Tara magic wise, but still has some room to grow her abilities.

I am not sure I have everything in the right places, even if the overall outcome is close to what I want.

As always any guidance or insight is welcome.

Thank,

Tim
Last edited by WebWarlock on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Other Side blog - RPGs, Horror and more.
"Tá an chumhacht agaibh. Cosnaímis mé, a Chosantóirí na hÉireann!" - Ghosts of Albion: Blight

MisterO
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Tarot Witch of the Black Rose for 3rd Ed.

Post by MisterO » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:09 pm

I can't help but applaud you for doing such an infamous character. I'm not very familiar with the character (outside of the insanely hilarious Invincible Super-Blog posts) but it seems like you know what you are doing. My only recommendation is to offset what powers are in the "magic" array and which are outside of it.

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Woodclaw » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:22 pm

As far as I know Tarot should have some kind of magic sword to supplement/booost her magic, aside fro that the build seem fine.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

prodigyduck
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by prodigyduck » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:47 pm

Love the build. You might consider giving her the Benefit (Witch of the Black Rose) as her station is important in the supernatural community.
"Terrorism is the tactic of the weak." -Reza Aslan, Muslim Scholar

Mediocrity always attacks excellence.

Please see my MnM Beastiary.

WebWarlock
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by WebWarlock » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:41 am

Thanks all!

How in the world did I forget her sword???

So benefits: Magic Family (to use a term from Unisystem) and her Goblin Cat, Pooka.

Hmm...either I'll re do the one above OR I'll do a new one for M&M 2nd ed. I want to see the differences between the two games for my own benefit.

But thanks for the feed-back! M&M's magic at some level still gives me some issues which is funny given all the other stuff I do.

Edited: Tweaked it a bit a reduced that image a bit.

Tim
"Tá an chumhacht agaibh. Cosnaímis mé, a Chosantóirí na hÉireann!" - Ghosts of Albion: Blight

WebWarlock
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Post by WebWarlock » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:28 pm

Continuing on my Tarot build, I wanted to take a step back and see how the character would shape up as a PL9 using M&M 2nd ed.  I am hoping it will be similar enough to the 3rd Ed build I did last week.  Plus I got some feedback on the build, so I'd like to give her a go.

Here is Tarot for M&M 2nd Ed.

Tarot, Witch of the Black Rose

Real name: Rowan Gender: Female Age: mid-20s Height: 5'9" Weight: 140 lbs Hair: Red Eyes: Green
Group Affiliation: The Black Rose Coven. Base of Operation: Witches' Hollow, Salem, MA

PL: 9 (135 pp)

ABILITIES
STR: 14 (+2) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 16 (+3)
 INT: 16 (+3) WIS: 14 (+2) CHA: 18 (+4)

SKILLS
Acrobatics 4 (+6), Bluff 4 (+8), Climb 2 (+4), Concentration (+2), Diplomacy 4 (+8), Disguise (+4), Escape Artist (+2), Gather Info 4 (+8), Handle Animal 4 (+8), Intimidate (+4), Investigate 2 (+5), History 8 (+11), Arcane Lore 10 (+13), Theology and Philosophy 8 (+11), Medicine 3 (+5), Notice (+2), Search 2 (+5), Sense Motive 4 (+6), Sleight of Hand 6 (+8), Stealth 2 (+4), Survival 6 (+8), Swim (+2)

FEATS
All-out Attack, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Weapon Bind, Benefit (1), Attractive (2), Artificer, Equipment (2), Diehard, Minions (3), Ritualist, Connected, Contacts

POWERS
*Magic [5], (Eye bite (Blast, does not require hands) [2], Dazzle [2], Flight [5], Impervious Toughness [3], Teleport [5]),
Magickal Senses [3],
Telekinesis [5],
Device [3] (Sword)

COMBAT
Attack 9 [Sword 3 (Lethal), Magic Blast 5 (Bruise)]
Defense 10 (10 flat-footed) Init 2

SAVES
Toughness 6 (6 flat-footed) Fortitude 5 Reflex 6 Will 5

DRAWBACKS
Rival: Raven Hex (sister), Enemy: Dragon Witches, Prejudice: Wiccan, Relationships: Jon "Skeleton Man" Webb (lover), Boo Cat (lover), Mother (mother)

Abilities 32 + Skills 19 (75 ranks) + Feats 17 + Powers 41 + Combat 18 + Saves 9 – Drawbacks -1 = 135 / 135

I noticed that I had more points to play with in this version, so some skills are higher than her 3rd Ed counterpart.   All in all, this was an easier build for me, since I have more experience with 2nd ed obviously, but it was very, very similar to building her in 3rd Ed.