The Doctor's Conversions [2E mostly]: Freedom Force

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

The Doctor's Conversions [2E mostly]: Freedom Force

Post by 9thDoctor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:11 am

In order to clean up my build thread, I have to put my conversions in here. So far, I didn't make many, but I plan on doing a few more now.
Anyway, without further ado:

Marvel builds:
-Thunderbolts:
---Atlas
---Charcoal
---Citizen V
---Jolt
---MACH 1
---Meteorite
---Songbird
---Thunderbolts comment

Freedom Force builds:
--Minuteman
Last edited by 9thDoctor on Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
St.Louis Blues - GM
X-Freshmen - GM (on Hold)

La Rana - New FORCE Ops (on Hold)
CeeCee - Wild Cards (on Hold)

My Roll Call - The Doctor's Original Builds
The Doctor's Conversions

9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

Re: The Doctor's Conversions [2E mostly]

Post by 9thDoctor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:12 am

-*reserved space for extension*-
St.Louis Blues - GM

The Doctor's Conversions

9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

Post by 9thDoctor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:41 am

#1 Atlas

"While you only grow stronger, Giant Man, I become tougher too. That's why I beat you!"

PL 9
Point Spread: Abilities 20+ Skills 7+ Feats 12+ Powers 54+ Combat 24+ Saves 15 = 132pp

Abilities: [20pp]
STR 20
DEX 12
CON 16
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 12

Skills: [6pp]
Diplomacy 2 (+3)
Intimidate 10(+11)
Knowledge Streetwise 4(+4)
Knowledge (Tactics) 2 (+2)
Profession (Soldier) 4(+4)
Survival 6(+6)

Feats: [12pp]
Power Attack
Melee Focus 2
Dodge Focus 2
Improved Grab
Takedown Attack 2
Improved Pin
Improved Trip
Improved Throw
All Out Attack
Teamwork 1

Powers: [ 54pp]
Growth 8 (up to Huge size, +16 STR +8 CON, +10 ft movement speed; Growth Strike)
-linked Power: Enhanced CON 10
-linked Power: Impervious Toughness 9
-linked Power: Super Strength 4 (giving him a STR 65 for lifting, +4 to grapple checks; Groundstrike, Shockwave, Bracing)

Combat: [24pp]
Base Attack: 6 +2 melee Focus = +8 (Normal Size)/ +7 (Large Size Growth 4)/ +6 (Full Size Growth 9)
Base Defense: 6 +2 Dodge Focus = +8 (Normal Size)/ +7 (Large Size Growth 4)/ +6 (Full Size Growth 9)
Toughness: +3 (Normal Size)/ +10 (Large Size Growth 4)/ +12 (Full Size Growth 9)
Damage: +5 (normal size)/+9 (Large Size Growth 4)/+12 (Full size Growth 9)
Initiative: +1

Saves: [15pp]
Fortitude 3 +5 = +8 (Normal Size)/ +15 (Large Size Growth 4)/ +17 (Huge Size Growth 9)
Reflex 1 +5 =6
Will 0 +5 =5

Brief History or Eric Josten, a life in redundancy:
Eric Josten started as a typical goon, a normal soldier in the service of Baron Zemo. Volunteering for some experiments after Zemo's death, he was infused with ionic rays and some magic by Enchantress. For the rays, she used the same machine, invented by Zemo, that created Wonder Man. He became Power Man, battling the Avengers for the Enchantress, then allied with the Swordsman. Then both were led by a brain-washed Black Widow. Josten then worked for Red Skull (unwillingly) and Mandarin (willingly). During that time, he battled Luke Cage, also known as Power man, for the right to the name and lost. He is conned into Count Nefaria's Lethal legion by promise of increased strength, which he gets at first, but later Nefaria steals all his underlings' powers.
Taking the name Smuggler, an unpowered Josten fights Spider-Man but loses (as a good jobber should) but then teams up with the Arachnid against the Maggia.
He later gets powered again, this time by Dr. Karl Malus and with stolen Pym particles. He changes costume (again) and name (again) this time to Goliath. He fights Iron Man (Jim Rhodes) and the West Coast Avengers, then gets recruited by Dr. Doom to fight Spidey, but is defeated (again) because Peter Parker has acquired cosmic energy for some time.
Teaming up with Ultron, Grim reaper, Man Ape and Nekra he battles the West Coast Avengers (again), but their plan is foiled (again). Joining the fourth incarnation of the Masters of Evil, led by the second Baron Zemo, he belongs to the villains that attack and destroy an understaffed Avenger mansion and he is also the one delivering the spine-shattering blow to Hercules, crippling the hero for some time.
During the "Acts of Vengeance" he fights Spider-Man (again). After a failed breakout attempt he is successful and fights Wonder Man . Then back to jobbing, he battles and loses to Giant Man (Bill Foster), Ant Man (scott Lang), Goliath (Clint Barton) and then Wonder Man (again).
Then he gets abducted by Kosmosian criminals and is rescued by Giant Man (Hank Pym), the only non-sucking deed by that sucker of a hero.
He then joins Baron Zemo (again) to exploit the absence of so many heroes by the Onslaught incident, and the Thunderbolts are formed. He undergoes cosmetic surgery and takes on the name Atlas. After the split of the original TB he sticks with the group that wants to become heroes.

The history goes on, but as I stopped reading the later TB issues, that's as far as I go. As you see, he is quite experienced and has had strong showings against various heroes. Not one to trifle with. Even when not grown, he is quite strong and fit and has decent combat abilities.
I built him as PL 10 before, but I realized that he is a solid PL 9 since only his original damage had hit the PL 10 cap.
The build comes 3pp short, but I can't get my head around to add more stuff, because I think I covered everything he's ever shown.
Personally I like how he was written in Thunderbolts. He was a born follower, often misguided by evil men in his past, but still having some gentle core (his friendship to Jolt, the romance with Dallas Riordan and him aiding his brother show that). He isn't smart, but he isn't dumb either. He is quite accustomed to fighting due to his long 'career', unlike Jolt and Charcoal.
He is, of course, the team's tank, even more than Charcoal, taking the brunt of the opponents' attacks.
St.Louis Blues - GM

The Doctor's Conversions

9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

Post by 9thDoctor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:13 am

#2 MACH 1

Don't ask for frequent flyer miles...

PL 10 150 pp
Point Spread: Abilities 23+ Skills 10+ Feats 15+ Powers 60+ Combat 24 + Saves 18 = 150pp
Abilities: [23pp]
STR 13
DEX 14
CON 10
INT 18
WIS 14
CHA 14

Skills: [10pp]
Bluff 6 (+8)
Computer 6 (+10)
Craft electronics 8 (+12)
Craft Mechanical 6 (+10)
Diplomacy 4 (+6)
Knowledge Technology 6 (+10)
Pilot 4 (+6)

Feats: [15pp]
Inventor
Inspire
Teamwork 2
Master Plan
Leadership
Attack Spec (M.A.C.H. Battlesuit Attacks) 2
Dodge Focus 4
Taunt
Improved Initiative 1

Powers: [60pp]
MACH Powerarmour Device 15 (hard to loose)
-Flight 6
-Machine guns Blast 10 (autofire 2, Split Attack, Alternate Powers)
--Rockets AP: Blast 7 (Area: Burst)
-Protection 10 (Impervious 7)
-Super Senses 8 [Blindsight Radar (radius), Infravision, Low-light vision, Radio]
-Enhanced STR 10
-Super Strength 2

Base Attack: 6 +4 (Suit Weapons) = +10 (Suit Weapons)/ +6 (Melee)
Base Defense: 6 +4 Dodge = 10
Toughness: 0+10 =10 (Impervious 6)
Damage: +10 (machine guns), +7 (rockets), +6 (melee in suit) +1 (melee without suit)
Initiative: +2 +4 = +6

Saves: [18pp]
Fortitude 0 +9 =9
Reflex 2 +7 =9
Will 2 +7 =9

Brief History:
Abner Jenkins was an airdraft mechanic, dissatisfied with his job. Building himself a powered suit (the ugly purple and green beetle armor I) he tried to achieve fame and wealth by defeating half the Fantastic Four. He lured Human Torch and the Thing away and fought them. Of course he lost.
Paroled soon after, he tried to get revenge on Johnny Storm, but ended up fighting (and loosing) with Spider-Man. Upon his release, he decided to forego petty revenge and concentrated on the acquisition of wealth. At one point the Beetle was mentally dominated and recruited by the Collector to serve as his unwilling agent. Under the Collector's domination, the Beetle faced the Avengers. He battled Daredevil and then, allied with Gladiator, fought him again. The Beetle also battled Spider-Man again.
He later became a member of the group of supervillains who briefly posed as the Defenders in order to confuse the authorities and earn a bit of public trust.
Losing every battle against costumed crime-fighters and failing to accumulate very much wealth, the Beetle offered his services to underworld financier Justin Hammer, who kept various superhuman criminals on retainers. His offer accepted, the Beetle was dispatched against the original Iron Man, as part of a battalion of costumed criminals. His Beetle armor was severely damaged by Iron Man during the fight.
Jenkins then invested all of the capital he could acquire into the modification and refinement of his Beetle armor. With the assistance of the Tinkerer, he produced a new battle-suit with far greater capacities than his old one. Before launching his comeback, the Beetle recruited the criminal Ringer to put Spider-Man through his paces. The Beetle wished to study Spider-Man's fighting style and program it into a computer system so he could anticipate his opponent's moves. Despite his preparations and new battle-suit, the Beetle was again defeated by Spider-Man. He was later freed from prison by Egghead who recruited him for his Masters of Evil organization. The Beetle and other Masters of Evil were defeated by the Avengers and arrested.
Justin Hammer then commissioned Beetle, Blizzard II, and Blacklash to kill Clayton Wilson, but Iron Man defeated them. Soon thereafter, Beetle battled Iron Man again, but this time all portions of the Beetle's battle armor using Stark technology were fused.
The Beetle organized his own team of super-villainous mercenaries called the Sinister Syndicate. The team ran afoul of Spider-Man and Silver Sable, and later imploded due to internal conflicts.
When most of Earth's costumed adventurers, including the then-core membership of the Avengers and Fantastic Four, seemingly died battling Onslaught, Baron Zemo recruited Jenkins and a number of other villains to trick the world into believing they were heroes called the Thunderbolts. Jenkins adopted the guise of MACH-1. Zemo's plan ultimately failed, but Jenkins and other members decided to try making the Thunderbolts a legitimate team. When Hawkeye took over the group's leadership, he convinced Jenkins to serve out the remainder of his prison term as a show of good faith to the public, but another criminal used the guise of the Beetle to frame him. While at Seagate, Jenkins coped with resentment and occasional assaults from other super-criminals and refused a chance to participate in a mass escape organized by his old employer Justin Hammer. Instead, Jenkins foiled the breakout, an act which brought him to the attention of the government's Commission on Superhuman Activities (CSA). They recruited Jenkins to participate in a sting operation aimed at Hammer. Jenkins agreed, using a newly designed armor to operate as the Beetle once more. The activities of the new Beetle attracted the attention of the Thunderbolts. Fearing the CSA might not honor the terms of their bargain, Jenkins fled CSA custody after completing the operation and rejoined the Thunderbolts. Hawkeye blackmailed the CSA into allowing Jenkins to remain free, even though the government's records would list Jenkins as still being in prison, in exchange for keeping the CSA's exploitation of Jenkins' secret.

The team's battle armor and techie. Abe possesses a good technological knowledge, surprising even Tony Stark as they developed the device to break Zemo's control over the Avengers.
He has some decent experience, not as vast as Atlas, but he had served his time as jobber, even as minor leader.
I already found Abe interesting as a recurring Spidey foe, but his developement in the Thunderbolts was great. He really regretted his former selfish behaviour and proved strong enough to go to jail. Also his romance with Songbird was a good story.
I build him as a decent PL 10, because he gave Spidey and Iron Man quite a fight at various occasions. With a bit more luck, he, in my eyes, could have even beat Iron Man once, but Tony Stark short-circuited all Stark technology parts of the Beetle armor.
This is the MACH I armor, since I am most familiar with that. It is based on designs by the Fixer (aka Techno) and thus is superior to the old beetle armor.
St.Louis Blues - GM

The Doctor's Conversions

9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

Post by 9thDoctor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:19 am

#3 Songbird

Who would damn Abe for falling in love with a girl like that?

PL10 150pp
Point Spread: Abilities 38+ Skills 8+ Feats 16+ Powers 32+ Combat 34+ Saves 16 = 144

Abilities: [38pp]
STR 18
DEX 18
CON 18
INT 14
WIS 14
CHA 16

Skills: [8pp]
Aerobatics 6 (+10)
Intimidate 5 (+8 )
Knowledge Streetwise 8 (+10)
Notice 5 (+7)
Sense Motive 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Escape Artist 4 (+8 )

Feats: [16pp]
Aerobatic Bluff
All-out Attack
Chokehold
Defensive Roll 2
Dodge Focus 3
Equipment 1
Evasion 1
Improved Grab
Improved Pin
Improved Throw
Power Attack
Startle
Attack Spec (Sound Attacks) 1

Powers: [32pp]
Solid Sound Create Object 10 (Tether, Progression 1, Dynamic Alternate Powers)
--DAP: Solid Sound Wrecking ball Blast (accurate)
--DAP: Solid Sound Spear Blast (accurate, Penetrating)
--DAP: Sound Wings Flight
--DAP: Transport disc Create Object (Tether, Moveable)
--DAP: Sound Grasp Snare

Combat: [34pp]
Base Attack: 8 +2 (Sound) = +8 (melee)/ +10 (sound)
Base Defense: 9 +3 dodge =+12 (+5 flatfooted)
Toughness: 4 +2 roll +2 costume =+8
Damage: +4 (melee), +10 (Sound Attacks)
Initiative: +4

Saves: [16pp]
Fortitude 4 +5 = +9
Reflex 4 +6 = +10
Will 2 +5 = +7

Brief History:
Melissa Gold was a troubled runaway from an alcoholic father and incarcerated mother. In order to survive on the streets, Melissa developed a hard edge to her personality, referring to herself as "Mimi." She was eventually imprisoned, where she met Poundcakes, a female wrestler who invited her to join the Grapplers under the name Screaming Mimi, alongside Titania and Letha. The Grapplers became renowned for their colorful personalities and ringside antics, but the wrestling federation denied them the opportunity to make the amount of money their male counterparts made. Instead, the group agreed to earn supplementary income by performing a covert operation for the Roxxon Oil Company. Roxxon gave the Grapplers special paraphernalia to assist them in their mission; Mimi received an apparatus that converted her voice to high-frequency sonics for various effects. The Grapplers tested these powers by fighting Thundra in a wrestling ring. On their mission, Thundra led them into Project Pegasus to smuggle in the Nth Projector for Roxxon. The mission failed when they were defeated by the heroes Quasar and Giant-Man. The Grapplers were tried and jailed for their misdeeds. Alongside the Grapplers, she victimized Dazzler while she was in Ryker's Island prison with them. When the Grapplers were finally paroled, they discovered that the women's wrestling movement had lost its momentum without them, so they continued to perform crimes to support themselves and working as professional criminals. Alongside the Grapplers, Mimi attempted to attack the Thing while he was in the hospital, and battled Captain America. Later, the Grapplers set their sights on a women's division of the superpowered Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation. Their manager, Auntie Freeze, arranged for the women to augment their natural abilities with artificial powers created by the agency Power Broker, Inc. While the other Grapplers received superhuman strength, Mimi instead had her vocal enhancements internalized as a throat implant; it was once believed that Mimi had also gained superhuman strength, but it was established after the fact in the Thunderbolts series that this was not the case. The all-new Grapplers made a legitimate professional comeback that proved short-lived. When Titania was murdered by the vigilante Scourge, Mimi was among the female wrestlers of the Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation who participated in a mass attack upon the Thing, blaming him for Titania's death. After Letha was later also killed by Scourge, the Grapplers broke up.
Mimi was later contacted by the criminal Baron Helmut Zemo to join his version of the Masters of Evil. Her first assignment was to help bust the female Yellowjacket out of prison, but Mimi was captured in the subsequent battle with the Wasp, Black Knight, and Paladin. Later, she formed a romantic and criminal partnership with the similarly-empowered Angar the Screamer, at one point battling the Avengers Hawkeye and Mockingbird. The pair impersonated Hawkeye and Mockingbird, but battled them and were defeated. Mimi was also seen among the various female superhumans aboard Superia's cruiseship, where she battled Captain America and Paladin. Angar was eventually mortally wounded by a gunshot during a robbery attempt that went sour, and died in Mimi's arms after they escaped. Mad with grief, Mimi screamed, burning out her power. Immediately afterward, she was contacted by Baron Zemo once more, and she accepted his offer to join a formative Masters of Evil. Zemo allowed Mimi to be nursed back to health, and his accomplice, the Fixer, gave her new powers via a voice-augmenting harness and high-tech implants in her neck based on technology from the villain Klaw. With her newly-transformed powers, she resumed the use of her given name Melissa, and adopted the identity of Songbird as a member of the Thunderbolts, a new Masters of Evil group posing as superheroes to win the world's trust while secretly plotting world conquest under Zemo's direction. However, Melissa and most of the other Thunderbolts grew to like their heroic roles. In particular, Melissa began to truly grow into her own and even began a romance with her teammate Abner Jenkins, alias MACH-1, formerly the Beetle. Ultimately, the Thunderbolts turned against Zemo, foiling his attempt at world domination and rescuing the Avengers in the process. Melissa continued to serve with the team, who operated as a team of outlaw superheroes.
Following the battle with Zemo, Songbird began gradually slipping back into her hard-edged Mimi-type persona, and was verbally abusive to Jenkins on several occasions and angrily rebuked him whenever he offered her any type of assistance, in stark contrast to her previous emotional dependence on him. When Jenkins' love and concern for her remained unaffected despite her treatment of him, Songbird finally explained to him that after repeatedly losing the things and people she most cared about, including Angar and the public adulation she had enjoyed before the Thunderbolts were exposed as villains, she had developed a fear of abandonment and felt that the only way she could cope would be to not care about anything or anybody that might abandon her, including Jenkins. Jenkins assured her that he would never abandon her, and the two became close once again.
When veteran Avengers member Hawkeye joined the Thunderbolts as their new leader to help them regain the public's trust, Hawkeye insisted that MACH-1, as the team's only convicted murderer, would have to serve his prison sentence for the good of the group's image. Jenkins reluctantly agreed, separating him from Melissa. The timing of Hawkeye's demand was unfortunate, as it happened shortly after Melissa had ceased pushing Abe away, and after he had given his word that he would never leave her. When MACH-1 returned months later through a bargain struck with the Commission on Superhuman Activities (CSA), adopting a new identity as MACH-2, he underwent appearance-altering surgery to conceal his true identity. He was unexpectedly turned into a man with African-American features, and Melissa was initially disturbed by the change. However, she has since become accustomed to it, and their relationship survived. When the Thunderbolts uncovered and thwarted a CSA-connected conspiracy to exterminate all superhumans, Hawkeye blackmailed the CSA into giving the Thunderbolts full pardons in exchange for the group's silence; however, CSA agent Henry Peter Gyrich insisted that he would not go along with the deal unless Hawkeye went to prison for his technically illegal vigilante activities as a member of the Thunderbolts. Hawkeye agreed, despite the protests of his teammates, and surrendered to federal custody. Most of the rest of the Thunderbolts, including MACH-2 and Melissa, were pardoned and released. However, as part of the terms of their deal, they were forbidden from public use of superhuman powers or costumed identities. Melissa turned her equipment over to the authorities and the two started new civilian lives in the town of Burton Canyon, Colorado as Abe Jenkins and Melissa Gold.

She always was one of my two favourite T-Bolts. Awesome Powerset, great costume, nice interesting background. I loved her vulnerable persona that hid under her hard-boiled Mimi personality.
She is roughly a PL 10. She was a jobber (might even be considered a bit above jobber, as she had decent storylines with her love of Angar the Screamer, his death, split personality and such) a long time and has experience.
Her powers of creating solid sound objects give her a wide variety of possibilities in a fight. Also, she is one of the best trained individual fighters of the T-Bolts, due to her time in wrestling. That gives her some melee options that many other blasters don't have.
St.Louis Blues - GM

The Doctor's Conversions

9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

Post by 9thDoctor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:03 am

#4 Citizen V
May I cut in?

PL 8 150pp
Point Spread: Abilities 48+ Skills 11+ Feats 23+ Powers 21+ Combat 30+ Saves 17=148

Abilities: [48pp]
STR 20
DEX 20
CON 18
INT 16
WIS 16
CHA 18

Skills: [10pp]
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Bluff 6 (+10)
Craft Electronics 6 (+9)
Craft Mechanical 6 (+9)
Computer 1 (+4 )
Intimidate 6 (+10)
Knowledge Technology 8 (+11)
Knowledge Tactics 7 (+10)

Feats: [22pp]
Accurate Attack
All-Out Attack
Assessment
Benefit: Wealth 2
Blind Fight
Defensive Attack
Dodge Focus 2
Distract (Intimidate)
Evasion
Improved Aim
Improved Defense
Inventor
Leadership
Lionheart
Luck 2
Master Plan
Power Attack
Redirect
Startle
Veteran Fighter

Powers: [21pp]
-Victory Blade Device 3 (easy to lose)
--Strike 3 (Mighty; Penetrating)
--Enhanced Feats: Improved Block 3, Improved Critical 2, Improved Disarm 2, Weapon Bind)

-Citizen V Armour Device 2(hard to lose)
--Protection 3 (Impervious 3)
--Enhanced Feats: Inspire 2, Elusive target

-Anti-Psi headband Device 1(hard to lose)
--Mind shield 5

Combat: [30pp]
Base Attack: +8
Base Defense: +7 +2 (feat) = +9 (+4 flatfooted)
Toughness: 4 +3 (armour) = +7
Damage: Blade +8, Crit 18-20; Unarmed +5
Initiative: +5

Saves: [17pp]
Fortitude: 4 +5 = +9
Reflex: 5 +5 = +10
Will: 3 +7 = +10/ +15 vs. mental effects/ +14 vs. Fear Effects

Brief History:
Zemo's legacy was revived by his son, Helmut J. Zemo, 13th Baron Zemo who was born in Leipzig, Germany. His father taught him the idea that the Master Race should rule the world. Helmut was originally an engineer until he became enraged when reading a report about the return of Captain America. Helmut would ultimately follow in his father's footsteps as a supervillain using his family's money and his own scientific know-how to recreate his father's work.
He first surfaced under the alias of The Phoenix, and captured Captain America to get revenge upon him for the death of his father. He was presumed deceased when he fell into a vat of boiling, specially-treated Adhesive X. As he had not been wearing his mask when he fell into the vat, his face was hideously scarred by the boiling Adhesive X, giving his face the appearance of molten wax. He resurfaced years later as Baron Zemo, first allied with Arnim Zola's mutates. He allied with Primus I, and kidnapped Captain America's childhood friend Arnold Roth in order to lure Captain America into a trap. He forced the Captain to battle hordes of mutates before revealing that he knew the Captain's secret identity.
Zemo later encountered Mother Superior and her father the Red Skull. Zemo underwent tutelage by Mother Superior and the Red Skull, and then kidnapped Captain America's friend David Cox and brainwashed him to battle the Captain. Zemo then kidnapped Arnold Roth again, and directed a shared mental reenactment of Heinrich Zemo's last World War II encounter with Captain America. Zemo then battled Mother Superior, but was psychically overpowered.
Most notably, he formed a new incarnation of the Masters of Evil. This fourth Masters of Evil was formed to strike at Captain America through the Avengers; they invaded and occupied Avengers Mansion and crippled Hercules and the Avengers' butler Edwin Jarvis. Zemo captured Captain America and the Black Knight. Zemo battled Captain America, but fell off the Mansion roof.
Zemo later hired Batroc's Brigade and psychic detective Tristram Micawber to help him locate the five fragments of the Bloodstone in hopes of restoring his father to life. Zemo battled Captain America and Diamondback, but fell down an inactive volcano in Japan.
Zemo was again believed dead, though he eventually returned, now married to a woman named Heike who had once called herself The Baroness and had claimed to be the reincarnation of Heinrich Zemo.
Zemo, having abandoned Heike to prison, organized a new team of Masters of Evil when the Avengers and Fantastic Four disappeared during the Onslaught crisis and were presumed dead. These Masters of Evil took false identities and called themselves the Thunderbolts. Leading them under the alias Citizen V (a twist of irony, as Heinrich Zemo had killed the original Citizen V during World War II) Zemo planned to have the Thunderbolts gain the world's trust in order to conquer it. The public took a liking to the team much more quickly than Zemo, or any of the other Thunderbolts, expected and soon most of them came to like the feeling of being heroes.
When the missing heroes returned, Zemo had the Thunderbolts' true identities leaked, forcing them to flee with him into deep space to assist his plan to conquer the world through mind control. However, most of the Thunderbolts rebelled and foiled Zemo's plan. Zemo went into hiding and plotted revenge on his former teammates (who were trying to win back the public's trust by being true heroes).

I must admit that Baron Zemo was no-man's land for me, before I started reading the Thunderbolts. True, I had seen his purple costume once or twice, but had no knowledge of his history and abilities.
He is a true Bad Guy, not surprisingly among the best comic book villains ever. Highly capable and ruthless.
As Citizen V, I concentrated my build on his martial prowess, which is impressive. He is a master swordsman and also a marksman of the same degree, but as Citizen V he doesn't use a gun (as far as I remember).
Buildwise it is a simple Weapon Master with some devices, so i planned on making him a PL 9. But then I dropped him to 8, but took 155pp for the drop.
That way he comes along skilled and capable, but beatable. I still think his mastery o the blade makes him a decent adversary.
Last edited by 9thDoctor on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
St.Louis Blues - GM

The Doctor's Conversions

9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

Post by 9thDoctor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:06 am

#5 Jolt
Isn't it fun to be a hero?

PL 9 135pp
Point Spread: Abilities 38pp + Skills 6pp + Feats 17pp + Powers 35pp + Combat 24pp + Saves 13pp= 133pp

Abilities:
STR 10
DEX 30
CON 14
INT 12
WIS 16
CHA 16

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+18)
Knowledge (Super Hero Trivia) 6 (+7)
Diplomacy 2 (+5)
Notice 4 (+7)
Sense Motive 4 (+7)

Feats:
Attack Focus Melee 1
Attack Spec (Bio-electricity) 3
Dodge Focus 4
Improved Initiative 1
Inproved Defense 2
Taunt
Inspire 1
Set Up
Teamwork 1
Move-By Action
Acrobatic Bluff

Powers:
-Speed 4
-Leaping 4
-Bio-electric strike Strike 9
--Linked: Stun 9

Combat:
Base Attack: 2 +7 (feats) =+9
Base Defense: 10 +4 (feats) =+14
Damage: unpowered +0; bio-electric strike +9
Toughness: 2 +2 (feats) =+4
Initiative: 10 +4 (feats) =+14

Saves:
Fortitude: 2 +5 = +7
Reflex 10 +3 = +13
Will 3 +5 = +8

Brief History:
Hallie Takahama was born in Ojai, California before moving with her parents to New York City at a young age. A super hero buff, she memorized details about various superhuman battles.
On her 15th birthday, Sentinels controlled by Onslaught destroyed her apartment, killing her parents and friends, and for weeks Hallie hid in the ruins of the city with several children she rescued. When Hallie went to seek help after Onslaught's defeat, she and all the children she was protecting were kidnapped by the mercenary group the Rat Pack and experimented on by the Rat Pack's employer, Arnim Zola. The other children died or were horribly mutated, but Hallie became faster, stronger, and gained the ability to throw bio-electric punches. She escaped and attempted to reach the Fantastic Four. Having been isolated between the destruction and the experiments, she had not known that many superheroes, including the Fantastic Four and most of the Avengers, had been whisked to a Pocket Universe created by Franklin Richards, the son of Mister Fantastic and the Invisible Woman of the Fantastic Four. The world at large presumed the heroes dead. When Hallie reached Four Freedom Plaza, the Fantastic Four's old headquarters, she encountered the Thunderbolts, a new super team who were in fact the Masters of Evil posing as heroes.
She joined the team, and eventually convinced most of the now-wavering former villains to become heroes. She went on the run with the team. before Hawkeye joined. At first she resented Hawkeye because he created civilian identities for Charcoal and Jolt and made them return to school but she later admitted that she respected him for having been where the Thunderbolts were and giving them that same chance to redeem himself that he had been given. Later she would be be "killed" by Scourge.

My favourite Thunderbolt by far. I really liked her from the start...a super-hero fan that becomes a super-hero...how awesome is that? Her youthful exuberance gave momentum to Beetle's, Goliath's and Screaming mimi's change of heart, so they could become heroes. I hated what Marvel did to her...killing her (only a vriminal by association) by the Scourge of the Underworld...then bringing her back, changing her powers etc.
Typical Marvel...they ruin everything.
Powerwise she is a bit Speedster meets dodgy wisecrack. I've never seen her being hit, so I can't say anything about her toughness, but her Defense must really be high...so I gave her a whuppin' Defense 24...which is really hard to hit. With her Improved defense feat, she can even hop around PL 10-11 villains and as long they are not attack-shifted, they have a hard time hitting her. Which is her main combat strategy. Distract the enemy so that the team's heavy hitters (all other) can land a blow.
Last edited by 9thDoctor on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
St.Louis Blues - GM

The Doctor's Conversions

9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

Post by 9thDoctor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:16 am

#6 Charcoal
Did anybody bring the barbecue?
St.Louis Blues - GM

The Doctor's Conversions

9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

Post by 9thDoctor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:32 am

#7 Meteorite
Now that's, what I call an entrance!
St.Louis Blues - GM

The Doctor's Conversions

9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

Re: The Doctor's Conversions [2E mostly]: Thunderbolts

Post by 9thDoctor » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:30 pm

Thunderbolts Comment
The following comment is entirely the author's personal opinion and as such not beyond contestation. Anyone who feels different is gladly invited to share his opinion in a civilised manner.

When I first read Thunderbolts, I thought what a great idea. While several of Marvel's heroes have been real or alleged criminals (most notably Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and allegedly Spider-Man), the real implications of a criminal becoming a hero have never been developed. until now....

I especially liked that they didn't add a couple of new faces to the ever-enlarging Marvelverse, but took well established, in some cases really old and established villains (Beetle, Zemo, Goliath). And these weren't D-List or petty villains.
The Beetle was a recurring menace of the friendly, neighbourhood arachnid. Though never of Doc Ock or Green Goblin caliber, he hat quite a few notable appearances, especially in the "Deadly Foes of Spider-Man" story arch, as leader of the quite formidable team of Rhino, Beetle, Speed Demon, Hydro and Boomerang.
Moonstone had proven herself against Iron Man a couple of times, sometimes losing only by a margin.
Screaming Mimi had several notable appearances against the Avengers and even had been given side-plots beside the actual do-something-bad-and-get-beaten plot, like her love for Angar the Screamer for example and her grief at his death.

So when these Masters of Evil took on a hero mantle...it was great. Then Busiek took great effort to show us how the sudden appreciation by the public worked its magic on several of the group, especially Beetle, Goliath and Mimi. He even wrote one of the best Marvel romances (in my eyes) with Abe and Melissa. It had its ups and downs, but you could see how much Melissa lost of her hard Mimi personality, the further she delved into the relationship.

Even adding a new face worked well, as Jolt was clearly specially designed to fit this team. She was to be the final straw, pushing the villains over the edge into heroness with her exuberant personality.
The issue, where Zemo leaked the T-Bolt's real identities to SHIELD which led to them raiding a public appearance by the new hero team, was a real surprise for me.
I devoured this and the following issues, barely able to wait till the next one appeared. I finally found the perfect mix of good story-telling (Busiek) and a drawing style I liked (Bagley), that I had missed for quite a while.
I stopped reading the books a short while after Hawkeye joined the team (an idea i found great) for two reasons.
1) Here in Poland I got the german issues by Dino Comics...which put 4 american issues in one and published them monthly. But they stopped with issue #7 (American issues #24-#28). And at that time the series in America was already at issue #Forty-something and I couldn't get the missing issues in between.
2) What i got from the developing story in the further issues, didn't prompt me to buy, as they took a turn into low quality imo. Especially the several incarnations of the T-Bolts during Civil War and that Alternate Universe crap ticked me off. I find, whenever Marvel uses the alternate universe card...a series takes a bottom dive.
So I treasure the short run they had during the time I could follow them and I ignore the rest.

PS: Will continue with the missing T-Bolt builds, but I never could churn out as many builds as others here in the Roll Call. And another underpresented group got my attention for now. So don't fret, Charcoal and meteorite will be constructed, but at a later date.
St.Louis Blues - GM

The Doctor's Conversions

9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

Post by 9thDoctor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:46 am

#8 Minuteman

PL 10 150pp
Point Spread:
Abilities 60 pp+ Skills 9pp+ Feats 13+ Powers 43+ Combat 24+ Saves 4- Drawbacks 3pp= 150/150pp

Abilities: [60pp]
STR 26 (+8 )
DEX 18 (+4)
CON 26 (+8 )
INT 18 (+4)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 18 (+4)

Skills: [9pp]
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Diplomacy 8 (+12)
KS Physical Sciences 8 (+12)
KS Technology 6 (+10)
Notice 4 (+6)
Sense Motive 6 (+8)

Feats: [13pp]
Defensive Roll 2
Dodge Focus 4
Luck 2
Melee Focus 2
Leadership
Inspire 2

Powers: [43pp]
Enhanced Physique [11pp]
--Leaping 6 (Acrobatic Check required)
--Speed 1
--Mind Shield 5
--Super Strength 1
Patriotism [15pp]
--Patriot Whirl Damage 4 (Mighty, Knockback 2; Targeted Area Burst; Touch Range)
----AP: Strike for Freedom Damage 2 (Mighty, Accurate; Targeted Area Cone; Touch Range)
----AP: Smash Damage 4 (Mighty)
----AP: 300 Percenter Boost 4 (STR only)
----AP: Minute Missile Stun 4 (Ranged; Reduced Range 2)
Vigilance [18pp]
--National Guard Deflect 8 (Slow and Fast Projectiles; Reflection; Full-Round Action)
----AP: Eternal Vigilance Enhanced Feats 2 (Improved Defense 2)
----AP: Rally the troops Enhanced Feats 4 (Inspire 3, Luck 1)

Base Attack 6 +2(feats) =+6/+8 (melee)
Base Defense 6 +4 (feats) =+10 (+3 flatfooted)
Toughness 8 +2(feats) =+10 (+8 flatfooted)
Damage: Smash DC 27; Strike for Freedom DC 25; Patriot Whirl DC27
Initiative: +4

Saves: [4pp]
Fortitude 8 =+8
Reflex 4 +1 =+5
Will 2 +5(power) +3 =+10

Drawbacks: [-3pp]
-Radiation Vulnerability (Moderate; Common Frequency)

The secret origin of Minuteman:
Frank Stiles was one of the brilliant scientists who worked on the Manhattan Project. After accusing his colleague of being a Communist spy, Frank was taken off of the Project. Years later, while sitting in Patriot City Park, he saw O'Conner acting suspicious and decided to investigate. Following O'Conner to a sheltered area of the park, Frank spied him making a deal with Communist agent Sukhov. Frank tripped and revealed himself to the villainous pair, and was mortally shot by O'Conner. Frank dragged himself to the park's statue of the Minuteman, which had recently been struck by a bolt of Energy X. By touching the statue, Frank absorbed the Energy X into his body, which restored his youth and granted him incredible strength and durability. Deciding to use these newfound powers for good, Frank Stiles became the Minuteman, the first of many heroes powered by Energy X.

And now to start with the Freedom Force, Minuteman.
I never really chose him for the teams in missions where he wasn't mandator, but his build for M&M looks very playable. He is strong, fast and has decent combat capabilities. Plus...he is a scientist, so he has quite some good knowledge of nuclear physics. He is the typical team leader, though he has neither master Plan nor Teamwork, as he never seemed to be a tactician (that was Mentor) nor a team player (he had more solo missions than anyone else). But he has the Leadership and inspire feats to compensate and can boost his Inspire quite effectively with Rally the troops.
As for Complications, I chose not to include them here...Minuteman clearly would have an Antipathy for Communists there.

Edit: Forgot to count the pp for Alternate Powers...which now pushes the build 6 points over the threshold...forcing me to shave some points off abilities and saves.
Last edited by 9thDoctor on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
St.Louis Blues - GM

The Doctor's Conversions

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:18 am

Hooray for Freedom Force. Good game. So close to being great.

9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

Re: The Doctor's Conversions [2E mostly]: Freedom Force

Post by 9thDoctor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:33 am

Why close? I think it is great. It has a great motivation to play it again and again...my only complaint is that there should be more missions...but that's where the editor comes into play.
St.Louis Blues - GM

The Doctor's Conversions

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:46 am

I thought that they should have done a little more work to integrate custom characters into the game. That would have put it over the top. Creating custom characters was fun and the system was surprisingly flexible. I never did much with the editor. The only custom content I downloaded was some character skins.

And for some reason, Freedom Force 2 just didn't do it for me. Maybe because it seemed like the same game all over again.

9thDoctor
Superhero
Superhero

Post by 9thDoctor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:43 am

#9 Mentor

PL 10 150pp
Point Spread:
Abilities 44+ Skills 5pp+ Feats 6pp+ Powers 71pp+ Combat 26pp+ Saves 6pp- Drawbacks = 158/150pp

Abilities: [44pp]
STR 10 (+0)
DEX 16 (+3)
CON 16 (+3)
INT 24 (+7)
WIS 24 (+7)
CHA 14 (+2)

Skills: [5pp]
Concentration 4 (+11)
Diplomacy 2 (+4)
KS Technology 6 (+13)
Pilot 6 (+9)
Sense Motive 2 (+9)

Feats: [6pp]
Dodge Focus 2
Inventor
Master Plan
Melee Focus 2

Powers: [71pp]
Mentalism [35pp]
--Mental Barrier Mind Shield 6
--Disorientation Confuse 10
----AP: Instinct Dominance Emotion Control 10 (Rage only, failure makes hostile, failure by 5 forces into melee and gives Rage feat)
----AP: Cerebral Balance Emotion Control 10 (Calm only)
----AP: Cortical Suppression Confuse 10 (Area Burst, Touch range; 11-20 = wander aimlessly)
--Switchboard* Communication 7 (mental; selective, dimensional; Area)
Alien Energy [36pp]
--Psyche Slash Mental Blast 12 (Mental Weapon)
----AP: Electron Beam Blast 8 (Energy; accurate 3)
----AP: Phase Cone Blast 6 (Radiation; Area Cone, Secondary Effect; Reduced Range 2)
------Linked: Drain 2 (Constitution)
--Kinetic Barrier Forcefield 7
--Flight 3

Combat: [26pp]
Base Attack 6 +2(feat) =+8
Base Defense 8 +2(feat) =+10
Toughness 3 +7(power) =+10
Damage: Psyche Slash DC 27, Electron Beam DC 23, Phase Cone DC 21
Initiative: +3

Saves: [6pp]
Fortitude 3 +2 =+5
Reflex 3 +2 =+5
Will 7 +6(power) +2 =+15

Secret Origin of Mentor:
The alien known as Mentor overheard a plan by his race's Overlord, to destabilize Earth by empowering villains with Energy X. He steals the spacecraft carrying the energy canisters and flees, but is followed. Near Earth his follower catches up and starts to shoot, hitting Mentor's spacecraft. It tumbles into the earth atmosphere, dropping the canisters and thus empowering many good souls, but bad ones as well.
Knowing that soon his race will invade this small planet, he allies himself with some of the new heroes to guide them in the coming invasion.

And here is the second character you get to play, Mentor. As clearly a J'onn J'onnz analogy as Minuteman is to Captain America.
As most telepaths that have some other powers as well, he comes overprized. 8 points over the threshold...
Maybe I could make his mental switchboard* a GM effect, since he only uses it between missions and in video-sequences, but for now, I include it in the build.
He has some options in combat, which surprised me. He is my least liked character and I NEVER choose him in the game.

*in hommage to Dr. Sane
St.Louis Blues - GM

The Doctor's Conversions