The tail end of the Killer Shrike discussion occured months and months ago while I was mostly AFK, and the poor guy fell by the wayside for so long that he's no longer in-format.
Since it's been so long here's a rerun of the stats by Mister O, with proposed tweaks to reflect the changes that have since been developed in our statting methods. I've also averaged his appraisal and mine, resulting in lots of score that are different by, err, about one point. All comments welcome, particularly over the modernisation.
Marvel UniverseBiography, characterisation, pictures, power description and the like at writeups.orgAbilities
Strength 03 (05) (07), Stamina 02 (04), Agility 00 (02), Dexterity 02, Fighting 04 (07), Intellect 02, Awareness 00, Presence 01Averaged PL
• 33 points • Descriptor: Implants and surgery
- Augmented strength -- Enhanced Strength 2, Enhanced Stamina 2, Enhanced Agility 2, Enhanced Fighting 3, Enhanced Fortitude 2, Close attack 1, Defensive Roll 2
- Anti-gravity implant -- Flight 5DevicesBody Armour
• 6 points (Removable) • Descriptor: Technology
- Enhanced Strength 2 (Note - the first version of the armour didn't have this)
- Impervious Protection 2 (Limited 1 to Sharp Impact)
- Protection 3, Enhanced Fortitude 4, Diehard, Ultimate Toughness (all are Limited 3 to Electricity)Talons
Array • 13 points (Removable) • Descriptor: Technology
- Steel blades -- Strength-based Slashing Damage 1Combat Advantages
- Lightning emitter -- Ranged Electrical Damage 9, Diminished Effect (-1 Damage rank per range increment), Diminished Range 3 (18/15/90 ft.)
- Electrified steel blades -- Strength-based Slashing Damage 1 Linked w/Close Electrical Damage 9
<i>Close attack 1</i>, Defensive Roll 2 <i>(4)</i>, Improved trip, Ranged attack 3Other Advantages
Athletics 2 (+7), Close combat (Unarmed, talons) 2 (+10), Expertise (Military) 4 (+6), Insight 1 (+1), Perception 3 (+3), Ranged combat (Firearms) 5 (+8), Ranged combat (Killer Shrike talons) 6 (+9), Technology 4 (+6), Vehicles 2 (+4) (Limited 2 to common land vehicles)Offense
Unarmed +10, Close, Damage 5 (7 w/Armour)
Talon blades +10, Close, Damage 8
Talon bolts +9, Ranged (Reduced 3), Damage 9 (less at higher range increments)
Electrified talon blades +10, Close, Damage 8 Slashing plus Damage 9 ElectricalDefense
Dodge 10, Parry 11
Toughness 10**/8/4*, Fortitude 9, Will 1
*Without Defensive Roll bonus
**With Body Armour and Defensive RollComplicationsBig Score
Simon Maddicks is always after the "big score". This usually leads to him going up against a superhuman opponent that far outclasses him.On File
Simon Maddicks does have a public, though obscure, identity.Design Flaw
The older version of his electricity-generating wrist-talons could, when slammed together, send the electric current (Damage 10) into Killer Shrike and bypass his armour. Use the Disarm rules to attempt to bash them together.Panic Death Spiral
If Maddicks feels overwhelmed and loses his confidence, doubt and rising panic diminish all his offense bonuses and his Will and Fortitude defenses by a cumulative 1 per round. When his Will hits -5 he becomes Dazed by panic. This death spiral can be halted or even annulled if events restore his confidence.Power levelsTrade-off areas.
Attack & Effect PL 10, Dodge/Toughness PL 10, Parry/Toughness PL 11, Fort & Will PL 5Point total 106
Abilities 28, Defences 16, Skills 14, Powers 33, Devices 19, Advantages 6. Equiv. PL 8.Notes
NPCs do not have to gain Hero Points from Complications, but if you allow the Killer Shrike to do so he'll blow it on some unwise stunt such as emulating Power Attack. It'll probbaly miss, but if it doesn't he might land a telling blow out of desperation.
This profile mixes good stats (Killer Shrike is quite powerful against street-level opponents) with a lack of flexibility, half his Toughness in Defensive Roll and a mean Complication that combine to make him brittle when outgunned.