GAZbuild: Mastermind, Blob, Destiny, Spiral, Sauron, Arcade

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Gazman
Hero
Hero

Re: GAZbuild Cosmos: Thanos, Galactus, Ego, Skrulls

Post by Gazman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Horsenhero wrote:In Ego's very first appearance (before they knew he was a planet), he faced off against Thor, Hercules, Sif and a few other heavy hitters as a purple giant. I suppose since he uses this avatar so infrequently, it could simply be a power stunt.
Really? I had no idea. And since I had no clue that this was a thing that he could do and since it only happens rarely, let's go with power stunt. Off his Consciousness of Entire Planet because he's now a giant rather than a planet? Or off his Living Environment because his environment is now skin rather than weather, rock, and lava stuff? Either way is a lot of available points.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: GAZbuild Cosmos: Thanos, Galactus, Ego, Skrulls, Kree

Post by Horsenhero » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:27 pm

I read a lot of Thor comics in the '70's, including Ego's first appearance. This was about the time Marvel really started amping up the threats the Thunder God was facing, but Thor wasn't in Asgard alot, so I read the first appearance of Ego, the first appearance of Kamo Tharn, Zaarko the Tomorrow Man with his giant Servitor Robot, the Time Twisters, the Greater Fear, the first appearance of Korvac (who would eventually go on to kill and resurrect all of the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy). Basically, a bunch of cool, weird Silver Age stories featuring Thor and his supporting cast (at the time Hercules, Sif and the Warriors Three).

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Post by scc » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Very nice builds. I love cosmic characters and strangely enough street level as well. I don't think I ever saw Ego on here before. Being a big planet and all shouldn't he have more toughness. I am no expert on the character but I imagine he is pretty tough. I would love to see some powerful magic characters. Any plans for those?

luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Post by luketheduke86 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:22 pm

scc wrote:Very nice builds. I love cosmic characters and strangely enough street level as well. I don't think I ever saw Ego on here before. Being a big planet and all shouldn't he have more toughness. I am no expert on the character but I imagine he is pretty tough. I would love to see some powerful magic characters. Any plans for those?
Well he didn't build Ego as the planet itself, but as a spirit that animates part of the planet. It's really an ingenious way of handling him.

You have some very awesome cosmic builds here Gaz. Super-Skrull is always cool and you did a nice job on getting Ronan at a playable level.
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Post by Gazman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Horsenhero wrote:I read a lot of Thor comics in the '70's, including Ego's first appearance. This was about the time Marvel really started amping up the threats the Thunder God was facing, but Thor wasn't in Asgard alot, so I read the first appearance of Ego, the first appearance of Kamo Tharn, Zaarko the Tomorrow Man with his giant Servitor Robot, the Time Twisters, the Greater Fear, the first appearance of Korvac (who would eventually go on to kill and resurrect all of the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy). Basically, a bunch of cool, weird Silver Age stories featuring Thor and his supporting cast (at the time Hercules, Sif and the Warriors Three).
That does sounds both cool and weird. I might be dating myself a bit, but I've only ever heard of one of those guys. I'll see if my library has any old Thor essentials collections or something.
scc wrote:Very nice builds. I love cosmic characters and strangely enough street level as well. I don't think I ever saw Ego on here before. Being a big planet and all shouldn't he have more toughness. I am no expert on the character but I imagine he is pretty tough. I would love to see some powerful magic characters. Any plans for those?
Thanks, scc! I think magic characters are the next group after cosmic guys, but I still have a bunch of those left. Kree, Shi'ar, Brood, and a couple of Elders of the Universe at the least. Maybe street level after that.

I've never seen Ego on Roll Call either. But I think I have a pretty fair explanation for why his stamina (and consequently, toughness) is at the level it is. I constructed Ego as the incorporeal animus of a planetary body, not as a corporeal body the size of a planet. Insubstantial 4 + Stamina 15 is plenty tough.
luketheduke86 wrote:
Well he didn't build Ego as the planet itself, but as a spirit that animates part of the planet. It's really an ingenious way of handling him.

You have some very awesome cosmic builds here Gaz. Super-Skrull is always cool and you did a nice job on getting Ronan at a playable level.
Thanks, Luke! For the compliments and for stepping in to answer scc. I always feel good when a build comes in at playable points. Even if I may have made a few small cuts to Ronan, he still feels like Ronan. So I'm satisfied.

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Captain Marvel

Post by Gazman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Captain Marvel - PL 11 Protector of the Universe

Strength 10/5, Stamina 10/5, Agility 5, Dexterity 5, Fighting 9, Intellect 2, Awareness 9, Presence 4

Advantages
Assessment, Extraordinary Effort, Improved Aim, Inspire, Interpose, Languages 1, Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+12), Expertise: Military 10 (+12), Insight 3 (+12), Perception 3 (+12), Persuasion 3 (+7), Ranged Combat: Photon Blasts: Damage 12 2 (+7), Technology 8 (+10), Vehicles 1 (+6)

Powers
Cosmic Awareness
. . Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Awareness 3 (+3 AWE)
. . Senses: Senses 9 (Acute: Detect, Awareness: Cosmic, Danger Sense: Mental, Detect: Weakness 2: ranged, Precognition)
Nega-Bands (Removable)
. . Energy Conversion: Enhanced Trait 20 (Traits: Strength +5 (+10), Stamina +5 (+10))
. . Invulnerability
. . . . Immunity: Immunity 10 (Life Support)
. . . . Impervious Defense: Impervious Toughness 10
. . Space Travel: Movement 3 (Environmental Adaptation: Zero G, Space Travel 2: other solar systems)
Photon Blasts: Damage 12 (DC 27; Increased Range: ranged)
Solar Flight: Flight 8 (Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round)

Offense
Initiative +5
Grab, +9 (DC Spec 20)
Photon Blasts: Damage 12, +10 (DC 27)
Throw, +8 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +12 (DC 25)

Languages
English, Native Language

Defense
Dodge 12, Parry 12, Fortitude 10, Toughness 10, Will 12

Power Points
Abilities 82 + Powers 92 + Advantages 11 + Skills 17 (34 ranks) + Defenses 13 = 215

Complications
Enemy: The Skrulls and the Kree have long been enemies. Mar-Vell and Thanos are fated foes.
Power Loss: Mar-Vell loses his photon and solar powers if he's deprived of sunlight.
Relationship: Mar-Vell has loved Carol Danvers, Elyisius, and Princess Anelle. His kids are Genis-Vell, Phyla-Vell, and Dorrek VIII.
Responsibility: Captain Marvel is the Protector of the Universe. Like the whole damn thing. Eon said so.

Mar-Vell was a captain of the Kree militia sent to spy on Earth. He rebelled against his superiors and fought off one of their Sentries because human beings are totally awesome. Living as Dr. Walter Lawson taught him that. Mar-vell is kinda complicated because he has alien powers and military training, then he has experimental imbuing powers, then he has device powers, then he has cosmic powers. It all adds up to a really overcost PL 11. He hits caps with punching, blasting, parrying punches, dodging blasts, and saves. He also has danger sense and precognition so he'll get good chances to use all those powers. He needs all of that because PL 11 is kinda low for the Protector of the Universe. Good thing he has lots of complications and Extraordinary Effort to spend HP on for fighting outside of his weight class. Too bad he died of cancer before I was born.

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Goldar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Some very nice builds, Gazman.

I really loved your Captain Marvel! :) And, as always, you found such a great and powerful pic to use! I also loved that the black portions of Cap's costume actually appeared black, as many of his pics show it as blue. I thought for many many years that his costume was blue/red, instead of the black/red that it is truly.

Also, I heard a rumor that CM may be revived in the huge A VS X series! :o So it certainly doesn't hurt to have CM statted up!

As usual, awaiting more of your terrific profiles....

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:14 pm

Captain Mar-Vell (don't blame me, it's how they used to spell it) is another one of those characters who was kind of popular, but never so much as after he died. Jim Starlin wrote most of the CM stories that most people remember, up to and including the Graphic Novel: The Death of Captain Marvel. Starlin really made CM a notable character though, transcending his rather weak introduction and less than spectacular "green and white" costume.

Starlin's CM run introduced Thanos, Mentor, Eros of Titan (later Starfox of the Avengers), ISAAC, Moondragon, Drax the Destroyer and whole boatload of other characters.

Starlin made a habit of rejuvenating characters no one thought worthwhile. He did the same with Adam Warlock. In fact, once Marvel was killed off, he resurrected AW (who he'd already killed off) and basically switched Warlock with Mar-Vell as Thanos' main adversary.

Personally I liked both heroes, since the universe can never have too many guys with Bo Duke's hair flying around, combating cosmic threats. :wink:

And though while he was writing, Starlin was never allowed to revive the Kree hero, he did try to recreate him after a fashion with his "Dreadstar" character from Marvel's defunct Epic comic line.

And believe it or not, I originally was working to a point when I started this...but I've forgotten what it was, so never mind. :|

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Post by Gazman » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:15 pm

Goldar wrote:Some very nice builds, Gazman.

I really loved your Captain Marvel! :) And, as always, you found such a great and powerful pic to use! I also loved that the black portions of Cap's costume actually appeared black, as many of his pics show it as blue. I thought for many many years that his costume was blue/red, instead of the black/red that it is truly.

Also, I heard a rumor that CM may be revived in the huge A VS X series! :o So it certainly doesn't hurt to have CM statted up!

As usual, awaiting more of your terrific profiles....
Thanks, Goldar!

Yeah. Comics often shade black as blue to show definition and then people forget its just shading and highlights. That's how we ended up with decades of Batman wearing blue!

I actually think that's a bad idea. Captain Marvel's death was his best and most famous story. Bringing him back devalues that as well as devaluing Carol Danvers, Phyla-Vell, and Noh-Varr as characters.
Horsenhero wrote:Captain Mar-Vell (don't blame me, it's how they used to spell it) is another one of those characters who was kind of popular, but never so much as after he died. Jim Starlin wrote most of the CM stories that most people remember, up to and including the Graphic Novel: The Death of Captain Marvel. Starlin really made CM a notable character though, transcending his rather weak introduction and less than spectacular "green and white" costume.

Starlin's CM run introduced Thanos, Mentor, Eros of Titan (later Starfox of the Avengers), ISAAC, Moondragon, Drax the Destroyer and whole boatload of other characters.

Starlin made a habit of rejuvenating characters no one thought worthwhile. He did the same with Adam Warlock. In fact, once Marvel was killed off, he resurrected AW (who he'd already killed off) and basically switched Warlock with Mar-Vell as Thanos' main adversary.

Personally I liked both heroes, since the universe can never have too many guys with Bo Duke's hair flying around, combating cosmic threats. :wink:

And though while he was writing, Starlin was never allowed to revive the Kree hero, he did try to recreate him after a fashion with his "Dreadstar" character from Marvel's defunct Epic comic line.

And believe it or not, I originally was working to a point when I started this...but I've forgotten what it was, so never mind. :|
No worries about no points. I never really got the appeal of Adam Warlock, but I can totally do a build of him too. Just one thing, I'm almost positive that Thanos first appeared in an issue of Iron Man.
Last edited by Gazman on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Kree

Post by Gazman » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:24 pm

Kree Soldier - PL 6 Super-Strong Spacemen

Strength 4, Stamina 4, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 4, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Advantages
Equipment 4, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Skills
Athletics 4 (+8), Expertise: Military 8 (+8), Intimidation 6 (+7), Perception 4 (+5), Technology 6 (+6), Vehicles 4 (+6)

Powers
High Gravity Strength: Enhanced Strength 1 (+1 STR; Limited to Lifting)

Equipment
Assault Blaster [Assault Blaster: Damage 5, DC 20; Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack], Bulletproof Vest, Rebreather

Offense
Initiative +2
Assault Blaster: Damage 5, +7 (DC 20)
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 14)
Throw, +7 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +4 (DC 19)

Defense
Dodge 4, Parry 4, Fortitude 6, Toughness 8, Will 4

Power Points
Abilities 36 + Powers 1 + Advantages 10 + Skills 16 (32 ranks) + Defenses 7 = 70

Complications
Alien Atmosphere: Blue alien needs Nitrogen badly!
Enemy: The Skrulls and the Kree have long been enemies.
Responsibility: To the Kree Empire.

The other side of the Kree-Skrull War. The Kree are very technologically advanced and very imperialistic. The universe has the Skrulls to thank for that. The Kree first gained space flight by mugging the judges of an intergalactic beauty pageant. They also murdered the Cotati, the winning contestants and then did a drive by on the Skrull home world. These guys are really strong and committed to the Kree Way (the Kree way is technology and military) but cheaper than their equal PL opponents because they don't have as extensive a super power. The Kree created the Inhumans and turned the Skrulls in warriors and worship a giant head with tentacles. I understand why Mar-Vell liked humans better.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:09 pm

You are so right about Thanos. He first appeared in Iron Man, which would explain why so many Thanos minions, like the Controller ended up Iron Man villains.

Of course at that point Iron Man was being written by...wait for it...Jim Starlin. Surprising isn't it.

MisterO
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by MisterO » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:07 pm

Gazman wrote: The other side of the Kree-Skrull War. The Kree are very technologically advanced and very imperialistic. The universe has the Skrulls to thank for that. The Kree first gained space flight by mugging the judges of an intergalactic beauty pageant. They also murdered the Cotati, the winning contestants and then did a drive by on the Skrull home world. These guys are really strong and committed to the Kree Way (the Kree way is technology and military) but cheaper than their equal PL opponents because they don't have as extensive a super power. The Kree created the Inhumans and turned the Skrulls in warriors and worship a giant head with tentacles. I understand why Mar-Vell liked humans better.
:| Is that all true or are you funnin' us?

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:19 pm

The Skrulls (at the time, a more peaceful race that explored more than conquered), set up a contest between the two rivals races of an alien world- the Kree and the Cotati, and figured they'd deal with whoever won- they were supposed to create something of great niftiness. The Kree built a city, and the Cotati built a garden or something. The Kree flipped out when the Cotati won, and so they killed the peaceful Skrulls, stole all their gear, and formed their own technology from it, killing almost all the Cotati as well. This set off the Kree/Skrull War.

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Post by Gazman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:03 pm

MisterO wrote:
:| Is that all true or are you funnin' us?
It is all true AND I'm funnin' ya. :D

I guess the situation could technically be described the way Jabroniville says it went down, but I feel that my version really gets the essence of the matter.

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Shi'ar

Post by Gazman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Shi'ar Soldier - PL 7 Avian Aliens

Strength 6, Stamina 6, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 5, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Advantages
Equipment 5, Improved Critical: Melee Weapon: Strength-based Damage 3, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+5), Athletics 4 (+10), Expertise: Military 8 (+9), Intimidation 6 (+7), Perception 6 (+7), Technology 8 (+9), Vehicles 6 (+9)

Equipment
Armor: Protection 3, +3 Toughness; Assault Blaster: Damage 6, DC 21; Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack; Melee Weapon: Strength-based Damage 3, DC 24, Advantages: Improved Critical]

Offense
Initiative +3
Assault Blaster: Damage 6, +8 (DC 21)
Grab, +5 (DC Spec 16)
Melee Weapon: Strength-based Damage 3, +5 (DC 24)
Throw, +8 (DC 21)
Unarmed, +5 (DC 21)

Defense
Dodge 5, Parry 5, Fortitude 8, Toughness 9, Will 4

Power Points
Abilities 52 + Powers 0 + Advantages 11 + Skills 20 (40 ranks) + Defenses 7 = 90

Complications
Responsibility: To the Shi'ar Imperium.

These guys are the overbearing big brother of the previous two stellar empires. The Shi'ar are much younger than the Kree or the Skrulls, but they have better tech, stronger control of more space, and personally stronger individuals. The Shi'ar are descended from birds so they have feathers for hair and their super dense muscles can put up a ton on average. They have everything most aliens get plus holograms, cloaking devices, star gates, starcracker weapons, and a lot of it is sentient. Yeah, they're quite skilled and a PL up on the other generic alien soldiers. Their elite troops get lightsabers! The Shi'ar rule every single inhabitable planet in their entire galaxy because their religion and secular culture both push marriage and assimilation.