GAZbuild: Mastermind, Blob, Destiny, Spiral, Sauron, Arcade

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Mike5000us
Zealot
Zealot

Re: GAZbuild Goes Mystic: Gods, Wizards, Dormammu

Post by Mike5000us » Sun May 13, 2012 10:42 pm

OMG I love your version of Dormanmmu!!! In my opinion you are one of the best character builders on this entire forum. Keep up the good work!!! I am curious have you thought of doing any basic generic templates that can represent a wide range of characters. Jab (another extremely prominent character builder) has recently made Marvel Gods and Skyfathers templates showcasing the deities of Marvel at vary level of power. In general his power scale is one the lower end while your is equivalent to the ones established by DC Heroes and Villains. All the gods you created so far could be easily used as templates (Zeus/Odin for Skyfathers, Loki/Enchantress for generic Magical Deities) but what about the other mystic characters of Marvel like the Demons (Hell-Lords such as Mephisto, Satannish, etc), and the Elder Gods (Gaea, Set, Cthon, and the various Mystic Entities that Marvel's magic users evoke)? Basically I am asking can you please make a Template for the mystic Demons and the Elder Gods?
"Ah man, I guess I'm just going to have to kill you now!"

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Post by Gazman » Wed May 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Damn. Thanks, Mike. I really appreciate the compliments. I'll try and live up to your praise.

I know. Jab's thread is amazing. So much good stuff to see and read there.

I don't really know any Elder Gods or know anything about them either. I guess if you gave me a lil background on one of them I could try to do a build. As for Demons, I think I'll make a Mephisto and a Blackheart after this next guy.

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Ghost Rider

Post by Gazman » Wed May 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Ghost Rider - PL 13 Spirit of Vengeance

Strength 9, Stamina 9, Agility 4, Dexterity 5, Fighting 9, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 4

Advantages
Daze (Intimidation), Equipment 2, Fast Grab, Improved Critical: Chain Shrapnel: Damage 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Trip, Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 4, Skill Mastery: Vehicles, Startle

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+6), Athletics 2 (+11), Close Combat: Mystic Chain 2 (+11), Expertise: Arcana 6 (+7), Insight 6 (+9), Intimidation 12 (+16), Investigation 4 (+5), Perception 4 (+7), Ranged Combat: Demonic Powers 1 (+6), Vehicles 13 (+18)

Powers
Demonic Powers
. . Hellfire Aura: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 28; Affects Corporeal, Alternate Resistance: Will, Precise, Reaction 3: reaction)
. . Hellfire Blast: Damage 12 (DC 27; Alternate Resistance: Will, Increased Range: ranged)
. . Hellfire Gout: Cone Area Damage 12 (DC 27; Alternate Resistance: Will, Cone Area: 60 feet cone)
. . Penance Stare: Affliction 13 (1st degree: Dazed, Impaired, 2nd degree: Stunned, Disabled, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Transformed, Resisted by: Will, DC 23; Extra Condition, Increased Range 2: perception; Limited: To Close Range, Sense-dependent: Vision)
Detect Evil: Senses 5 (Detect: Evil (Mental) 2: ranged, Extended: Detect 1: x10, Radius: Detect, Tracking: Detect 1: -1 speed rank)
Hellcycle
. . Burning Up The Road: Line Area Damage 12 (DC 27; Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long; Limited: To Path Traveled, Limited: To When Riding A Motorcycle)
. . Hellish Traction: Movement 3 (Wall-crawling 2: full speed, Water Walking 1: you sink if stopped; Limited: To When Riding A Motorcycle)
. . Highway to Hell: Speed 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round; Limited: When Riding A Motorcycle)
Incorporating Spirit
. . Immortality: Immortality 10 (Return after 1 hour)
. . Immunity: Immunity 10 (Life Support)
. . Insubstantial: Insubstantial 3 (Energy; Affects Corporeal 9)
. . Regeneration: Regeneration 5 (Every 2 rounds)
Mystic Chain
. . Chain Lash: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 26, Advantages: Fast Grab, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Trip; Affects Corporeal 2, Reach (melee) 4: 20 ft.)
. . Chain Shield: Enhanced Trait 8 (Traits: Dodge +4 (+15), Parry +4 (+15))
. . Chain Shrapnel: Damage 2 (DC 17, Advantages: Improved Critical; Accurate: +2, Increased Range: ranged, Multiattack)

Equipment
Motorcycle - Strength 1, Defense 0, Toughness 8, Size Medium
Speed: Speed 6 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round)

Offense
Initiative +4
Burning Up The Road: Line Area Damage 12 (DC 27)
Chain Lash: Strength-based Damage 2, +11 (DC 26)
Chain Shrapnel: Damage 2, +11 (DC 17)
Grab, +9 (DC Spec 19)
Hellfire Aura: Strength-based Damage 4, +9 (DC Will 28)
Hellfire Blast: Damage 12, +10 (DC Will 27)
Hellfire Gout: Cone Area Damage 12 (DC Will 27)
Penance Stare: Affliction 13 (DC Will 23)
Throw, +9 (DC 24)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 24)

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 11, Toughness 9, Will 13

Power Points
Abilities 88 + Powers 130 + Advantages 10 + Skills 26 (52 ranks) + Defenses 21 = 275

Complications
Enemy: Mephisto and Blackheart hate Johnny almost as much as they hate eachother.
Identity: The Ghost Rider is secretly motorcyle stunt man, Johnny Blaze. Blaze can involuntarily transform when innocent blood is spilled.
Obsession: The Ghost Rider must find and punish the guilty. Visting riteous vengeage upon them is like his whole thing.
Power Loss: The penance stare doesn't work against people who are innocent, insane, or have alien frames of moral reference.
Weakness: Holy ground, divine power, and blessed weapons can harm Ghost Rider pretty badly.

Johnny Blaze is a motorcycle stuntman who made a deal with the Devil. Or a devil at least. Mephisto cured his adoptive father's cancer, then killed him, then bound the demon Zarathos to Johnny's soul. And that is how you get baby Ghost Riders. First and foremost he has a flaming skull for a head and rides a bike that can burn up walls. Next are PL 10 active defenses, and an 11 chain attack. After that comes the PL 12 will/fort and hellfire attacks to burn the soul in melee, at range, or by area. Blaze can also use his chain as a whirling shield to bump his dodge/parry to PL 12, too. Finally comes the thing that makes the Ghost Rider PL 13, the penance stare. All the pain you've ever inflected on others come pouring in, destroying your will and probably making you rethink some of the life choices you've made. The rest of his way over budget points go into making immune to physical damage, immune to death, and immune to looking stupid on his bike. Yes, some of this stuff is from the Dan Ketch version. I said going in these builds were really the way I think of the characters from different sources. The Ghost Rider is a scary, supernatural badass who seriously owned cosmic house in a cartoon one time.

Mike5000us
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Mike5000us » Wed May 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Well the Elder Gods were in a sense the progenitors of the current Marvel Gods. In actuality, Gaea by herself is THE mother goddess of Marvel, as all of the Gods are descented from her. Cthon in particular is who I would like to see stats of. He was depicted as being the most powerful member and is somewhat responsible for the Scarlet Witch's vast reality warping power. Or Gaea herself. Either one is suitable for a elder god template. In general I know that they are more powerful than sky fathers.

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Re: GAZbuild Goes Mystic: Gods, Wizards, Dormammu, Ghost Rider

Post by scc » Thu May 17, 2012 12:17 pm

I love seeing Dormammu statted up. Great job! I always like seeing powerful characters and oddly enough street level. Should Dormammu be that strong without growing or being magically empowered. I remember reading somewhere that Dr. Strange beat him hand to hand when they couldn't use their powers. However I am not absolutely certain on this. I just want your opinion on this. I mentioned this on Thorp's thread. Should variable that affects others be part of an array or be separate? Usually characters like Dormammu empower characters with really no noticeable loss in their abilities.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Thu May 17, 2012 4:38 pm

That clip from the FF cartoon with Ghost Rider dropping Galactus was great. Looked like one hell of a power stunt to me, but it did the job. :wink:
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Thu May 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Thorpacolypse wrote:That clip from the FF cartoon with Ghost Rider dropping Galactus was great. Looked like one hell of a power stunt to me, but it did the job. :wink:
Here's the humorous thing, Galactus (very weakened from hunger) got beaten that way in the comics too, but it was Dr. Strange that did it. Story and art by John Byrne. Of course that was before Ghost Rider became the Mary Sue he is today.

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Post by Gazman » Fri May 18, 2012 9:41 am

scc wrote:I love seeing Dormammu statted up. Great job! I always like seeing powerful characters and oddly enough street level. Should Dormammu be that strong without growing or being magically empowered. I remember reading somewhere that Dr. Strange beat him hand to hand when they couldn't use their powers. However I am not absolutely certain on this. I just want your opinion on this. I mentioned this on Thorp's thread. Should variable that affects others be part of an array or be separate? Usually characters like Dormammu empower characters with really no noticeable loss in their abilities.

Thanks, scc. What luck that after magic comes streets.

I was just following the 3E trend to put down some permanent enhanced abilities as just straight up abilities. I'm not really an expert on Dr. Strange or on Dormammu. It might be that he isn't really that strong, but what my takeaway from what I do know of the character is that yeah, he is pretty much super strong all the time. The way I see it, empowerment by character is him/her giving up some of their powers for somebody else's use. Then, you have the newly empowered character do some stuff with the other guy just sits back. If you want more power or both of them fighting, that's really more of a plot concern than just stats. I called this out waaaay back in the notes on my Loki build.

I hope that this explains why I did some stuff the way I did. I really appreciate you taking the time out to explain your views to me.

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Post by Gazman » Fri May 18, 2012 9:44 am

Thorpacolypse wrote:That clip from the FF cartoon with Ghost Rider dropping Galactus was great. Looked like one hell of a power stunt to me, but it did the job. :wink:
Really? I thought part of how great the clip was is how causally Ghost Rider treats the whole thing. Yeah call me Ghost Rider, you've been a bad boy, I'm done, peace out. I didn't factor that into my build, because I never watched the FF cartoon and so it didn't influence my "iconic" version. But it was pretty darn cool and called out to be shared.

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Post by scc » Fri May 18, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks Gazman. I must have missed that on your Loki build. I was just doing some builds and it crossed my mind. Just wanted to know what other people thought about it.

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Mephisto

Post by Gazman » Mon May 21, 2012 11:51 pm

Mephisto - PL 17 Prince of Lies

Strength 15, Stamina 15, Agility 4, Dexterity 5, Fighting 9, Intellect 10, Awareness 8, Presence 11

Advantages
Assessment, Benefit 5: Lord of Hell. Daze (Deception), Fascinate (Deception), Ritualist, Taunt

Skills
Deception 16 (+27), Expertise: Evil 17 (+27), Expertise: Magic 16 (+26), Insight 8 (+16), Perception 4 (+12), Ranged Combat: Magic Powers 9 (+14), Sleight of Hand 8 (+13)

Powers
Demonically Unstoppable
. . Comprehend: Comprehend 4 (Languages - Read All, Languages - Speak All, Languages - Understand All, Languages - You're Understood)
. . Flight: Flight 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round)
. . Immortality: Immortality 8 (Return after 4 hours; Limited: Reappears in Realm)
. . Immunity: Immunity 22 (Aging, Common Descriptor: Fire, Life Support, Sleep)
. . Impervious Defense: Impervious Toughness 15
. . Regeneration: Regeneration 8 (Every 1.25 rounds; Persistent)
Hell Lord
. . Controls the Borders: Nullify 17 (Counters: Dimensional, DC 27; Effortless, Increased Duration 2: sustained, Increased Range: perception, Precise, Simultaneous; Limited: to Within His Realm)
. . Decorates the Place: Movement Attack (+self) 17 (Dimensional: Variations of Hell 2: group, 50 lbs., Extra Ranks 15, DC 27; Attack (+self): Will, Increased Range 2: perception; Limited: to Within His Realm)
. . Rules the Magic: Nullify 14 (DC 24; Broad, Effortless, Increased Duration 2: sustained, Increased Range: perception, Precise, Simultaneous; Limited: to Within His Realm)
. . Takes Souls
. . . . +1 Soul: Feature 1
. . . . Movement: Movement Attack 14 (Dimensional: Hell 1: one dimension, 50 lbs., Extra Ranks 13, DC 24; Attack: Will, Increased Range 2: perception; Limited: Souls/Astral Selves)
. . . . Transform: Transform 10 (Affects: 1 Thing > 1 Thing - Dead Body > Soulless Body, Transforms: 800 lbs., DC 20; Increased Duration: continuous, Increased Range 2: perception; Limited: Those Who've Got It Coming)
Magic Powers
. . Illusion: Illusion 13 (Affects: All Sense Types, Area: 8000 cft., DC 23; Independent; Resistible: Will)
. . Mystic Blast: Damage 19 (DC 34; Increased Range: ranged, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Any Magic)
. . Mystic Defenses: Deflect 19
. . Mystic Transformation: Affliction 19 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Transformed, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 29; Increased Range: ranged, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Any Magical Transformation)
. . Teleport: Teleport 16 (250 miles in a move action, carrying 50 lbs.; Accurate, Change Velocity, Extended: 64000 miles in 2 move actions)
. . Wall of Fire: Shapeable Area Damage 16 (DC 31; Shapeable Area 3: 120 feet, cubic)
Shape-Shifter
. . Morph: Morph 4 (+20 Deception checks to disguise; Any form)
. . Variable: Variable 4 (Action: move)

Offense
Initiative +4
Controls the Borders: Nullify 17 (DC Will 27)
Decorates the Place: Movement Attack (+self) 17 (DC Will 27)
Grab, +9 (DC Spec 25)
Movement: Movement Attack 14 (DC Will 24)
Mystic Blast: Damage 19, +14 (DC 34)
Mystic Transformation: Affliction 19, +14 (DC Fort 29)
Rules the Magic: Nullify 14 (DC Will 24)
Throw, +5 (DC 30)
Transform: Transform 10 (DC Dog 20)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 30)
Wall of Fire: Shapeable Area Damage 16 (DC 31)

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 18, Toughness 15, Will 16

Power Points
Abilities 154 + Powers 282 + Advantages 10 + Skills 39 (78 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 505

Complications
Enemy: Mephisto really wants the Silver Surfer's pure soul. Doom really wants his mother's soul back. Guy also really screwed over both the human and demon side of Ghost Rider.
Power Loss: Mephisto's power is tied to his realm and the souls stuck there. Losing souls or staying in another world can rapidly deplete his strength and power.
Reputation: The entirety of creation has Mephisto pegged as a no good, tempting, covetous, lying, soul stealing swindler.
There's Rules!: 1) Must actually uphold his pacts. To the letter.
2) No reading a sentient being's mind..
3) No forcible bending of another's will.
4) No taking the souls of living people trapped in is realm.

What's up, no sleep? Mephisto. That's what. All 505 points worth of him. This guy isn't really the Devil and his Hell/Hades isn't really the Hell or Hades. But its pretty close. He's got a some magic array powers at PL 17 and some inhuman ability scores. He won't be stymied by conventional weapons, human needs, death, or any sense of decency. His saves and some of his skills are also capped out because he is an ageless monster of cosmic evil given form. The form is mutable because of course Mephisto is also a shape and size changer. Then beyond all these personal powers are his powers as a Lord of Hell. Mephisto needs souls in Hell and he can trap them or bargain for them. When the bargainer kicks the bucket, Mr. Mephistopheles here scoops them up. Since he is the absolute ruler of his realm he controls all entry and egress to it, controls the magic within it, and can change it into whatever he likes. That's what I get trying to stat out what might as well be PL X. And I probably forgot something...

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Post by Gazman » Mon May 21, 2012 11:52 pm

And I also really liked this picture. But decided the other one made a better profile of the guy.

Mike5000us
Zealot
Zealot

Re: GAZbuild Goes Mystic: Dormammu, Ghost Rider, Mephisto

Post by Mike5000us » Tue May 22, 2012 12:30 am

Wow you made Mephisto as powerful as a Celestial (Then again he was able to stalemate Galactus [a being even beyond the Celestials]). Nice!!! This guy could definitely be used as the template for Hell-Lord level demons....THANK U! Now what about an Elder God?

O and can you explain how the "Take Souls" and "Decorates the Place" powers you created works?

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Post by Gazman » Tue May 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Those powers are two of the things he does as a Hell Lord. Me trying to put somewhat reasonable numbers on X stats. Takes Souls is how Mephisto gains souls for his domain. Having them is important for his Power Loss complication. So every time he Takes a Soul, the feature of having one more soul dings. He can actually take souls two different ways. One way is to pull a free floating soul or astral self into Hell, where Mephisto is the boss. The other method is to wait to somebody who owes Mephisto a soul dies, then he can transform their body into a soulless shell. This might be important for communication or resurrection effects, but mostly its just numbers for plot stuff.

Decorates the Place is how Mephisto exercises his complete control of Hell to reality warping levels. Each variation of Hell is slightly different dimension that Mephisto can enter or force you to enter. If he decides that lakes of fire are old, he can change it to a lake of puss or blood or bile or whatever by going to a version of Hell where that version of the lake is. He could also create a hell where your loved ones are chained up nearby crying and wailing if that serves his purpose. This looks like tons of create or transform or something but can be built as dimensional travel with precise. "I wish the world was filled xyz." Instead of making xyz, you mechanically go to a world with xyz and the end result is the same.

Mike5000us
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Mike5000us » Wed May 23, 2012 12:06 am

Gazman wrote:Those powers are two of the things he does as a Hell Lord. Me trying to put somewhat reasonable numbers on X stats. Takes Souls is how Mephisto gains souls for his domain. Having them is important for his Power Loss complication. So every time he Takes a Soul, the feature of having one more soul dings. He can actually take souls two different ways. One way is to pull a free floating soul or astral self into Hell, where Mephisto is the boss. The other method is to wait to somebody who owes Mephisto a soul dies, then he can transform their body into a soulless shell. This might be important for communication or resurrection effects, but mostly its just numbers for plot stuff.

Decorates the Place is how Mephisto exercises his complete control of Hell to reality warping levels. Each variation of Hell is slightly different dimension that Mephisto can enter or force you to enter. If he decides that lakes of fire are old, he can change it to a lake of puss or blood or bile or whatever by going to a version of Hell where that version of the lake is. He could also create a hell where your loved ones are chained up nearby crying and wailing if that serves his purpose. This looks like tons of create or transform or something but can be built as dimensional travel with precise. "I wish the world was filled xyz." Instead of making xyz, you mechanically go to a world with xyz and the end result is the same.
Wow you created a viable Reality Warping power! Truly impressive and the implications are broad. The GM must exercise control with this one here. Thanks for the explanation!