GAZbuild: Mastermind, Blob, Destiny, Spiral, Sauron, Arcade

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Re: GAZbuild Newish Mutants

Post by Thorpacolypse » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:46 pm

Nice Cannonball, Gaz. Hey, where did you get that conversion for speed per round on his flight? I can't find it and I suck at calculations like that.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:30 pm

Wow, these are some seriously nice builds. I can't believe I haven't noticed this topic before- you post pretty regularly, and these are all excellent. And holy hell- someone ELSE who statted up Tangerine! I would have SWORN I was the only one!! Totally gonna follow this thread.

Mike5000us
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Mike5000us » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:34 am

Such POWER....that is one nice X-man and Strife build. I cant wait to see how you stat up The Phoenix and Moondragon (a telepath who once controlled a entire planet)? Also are you planning on statting any godly character? Do you mind statting a Skyfather like say Odin or Zeus?
"Ah man, I guess I'm just going to have to kill you now!"

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:18 am

Thorpacolypse wrote:Nice Cannonball, Gaz. Hey, where did you get that conversion for speed per round on his flight? I can't find it and I suck at calculations like that.
The distance per round is easier than distance per hour, actually. It's just the same Distance rank as the rank of the movement effect. Speed 1 is 60 feet per round, which is also Distant rank 1.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Post by Thorpacolypse » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:28 am

Arthur Eld wrote:
Thorpacolypse wrote:Nice Cannonball, Gaz. Hey, where did you get that conversion for speed per round on his flight? I can't find it and I suck at calculations like that.
The distance per round is easier than distance per hour, actually. It's just the same Distance rank as the rank of the movement effect. Speed 1 is 60 feet per round, which is also Distant rank 1.
Duh...I am constantly amazed by my ability to miss the obvious. Thanks, AE.
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Post by Gazman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:38 pm

Umm..what Arthur Eld said. Also since I don't want to do the calculations either, I have Hero Lab to do it for me.
Jabroniville wrote:Wow, these are some seriously nice builds. I can't believe I haven't noticed this topic before- you post pretty regularly, and these are all excellent. And holy hell- someone ELSE who statted up Tangerine! I would have SWORN I was the only one!! Totally gonna follow this thread.
Wow. Thank you, Jabroniville. You are like one of my roll call idols and I'm glad you approve. As for Tangerine, it was like one of my first requests and I couldn't turn it down even though I had no idea who the character was and still have yet to read a book where she appears.
Mike5000us wrote:Such POWER....that is one nice X-man and Strife build. I cant wait to see how you stat up The Phoenix and Moondragon (a telepath who once controlled a entire planet)? Also are you planning on statting any godly character? Do you mind statting a Skyfather like say Odin or Zeus?
Yeah they are really powerful guys, but that's not really my favorite thing. I'm definitely going to have to work up to Phoenix. In terms of gods, I will have Hercules and Ares at the least. Dunno about Odin or Zeus, but I might at some point.

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Mirage

Post by Gazman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Mirage - PL 10 Empathic Indian

Strength 3, Stamina 4, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 10, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 3

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment 2, Fearless, Improved Aim, Minion 5, Set-up, Teamwork, Tracking

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+6), Athletics 6 (+9), Deception 6 (+9), Expertise: Cheyenne Hunter 10 (+11), Expertise: Mutant Leader 6 (+7), Intimidation 6 (+9), Investigation 2 (+3), Perception 6 (+9), Persuasion 4 (+7), Ranged Combat: Bow 6 (+10), Stealth 4 (+8), Vehicles 2 (+6)

Powers
Connected to Animals
. . Comprehend: Comprehend 2 (Animals - Speak To, Animals - Understand)
. . Senses: Senses 1 (Communication Link: Mental Like to Wolfsbane)
Manifested Thoughts
. . Emotional Response: Perception Area Affliction 10 (Linked; 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 20; Perception Area; Limited: To Desirous or Fearful)
. . Illusion: Illusion 10 (Linked; Affects: Two Sense Types - Audio Visual, Area: 1000 cft., DC 20; Limited: To Subject's Desires or Fears)
. . Mind Arrow: Damage 10 (Alternate; DC 25; Alternate Resistance: Will, Increased Range: ranged; Limited: To Having An Actual Bow)

Equipment
Comlink, Bow, Undercover Shirt

Offense
Initiative +4
Bow, +10 (DC 21)
Emotional Response: Perception Area Affliction 10 (DC Will 20)
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 13)
Mind Arrow: Damage 10, +10 (DC Will 25)
Throw, +4 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +10 (DC 18)

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 7, Toughness 7/4, Will 13

Power Points
Abilities 64 + Powers 26 + Advantages 14 + Skills 30 (60 ranks) + Defenses 21 = 155

Complications
Prejudice: Mutie scum!
Relationship: Rhane Sinclair is her "soulmate", best friend, and possibly lover. Brightwind is her magical winged horse that she saved in Asgard.
Responsibility: The X-men fight to protect a world that hates and fears them. Dani leads the New Mutants X-men squad. She also has to occasionally has to act as a Valkyrie and ferry valiant souls to Valhalla.
Rivalry: Rebellious and sexual Dani is a rival to co-leader Sam Guthrie, the straitlaced farmboy.

Danielle "Dani" Moonstar started with the New Mutants as the angry one who accidentally broadcast the worst thing in her team-mate's mind for all to see. Since then she's gone through a bunch of power-ups and power-downs, but my iconic Dani has the power to take either your deepest desire or your worst fear and project it as an illusion that will make your pants wet one way or the other. Alternately she can shoot those thoughts from a bow into you and make them hurt. She backs up her PL 10 attacks with outdoorsy skills and the words to follow up on empathic illusion things she puts out. She would cost the PC 150 except that she has a magic horsey for a minion that puts her 5 points over. Danielle Moonstar can lead the New Mutants, Choose the Valorous Slain, go under cover for SHIELD, and help Chris Clairmont fulfill his lesbian fetish quota.
What? No. Its totally not racist the Native American mutant uses a bow and arrows and talks to animals.

--------------------

Brightwind - PL 8

Strength 6, Stamina 6, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 8, Intellect -4, Awareness 3, Presence -2

Advantages
All-out Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Power Attack

Skills
Expertise: Survival 8 (+4), Insight 4 (+7), Intimidation 4 (+2), Perception 2 (+5)

Powers
Big Animal: Protection 2 (+2 Toughness)
Hooves: Strength-based Damage 1 (DC 22; Reach (melee): 5 ft.)
Horse Sense: Senses 2 (Acute: Scent, Radius: Vision)
Pegasus Wings: Flight 6 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round; Wings)
. . Horse Gallop: Speed 3 (Alternate; Speed: 16 miles/hour, 250 feet/round)

Offense
Initiative +2
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 16)
Hooves: Strength-based Damage 1, +8 (DC 22)
Throw, +0 (DC 21)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 21)

Complications
Disability: Brightwind is actually a horse and thus incapable of speaking or fine manipulation.
Relationship: Brightwind owes Dani his life and they are bonded

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 38 + Powers 13 + Advantages 4 + Skills 9 (18 ranks) + Defenses 11 = 75
Last edited by Gazman on Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krypt0nian
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by krypt0nian » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:38 pm

Gaz, you are seriously coming through in spades! Dani is my fave New Mutant and it's so nice to see her powered up again.

Cheers for all your hard work, and your attention to detail. Your builds make my night. :D

Rick/krypt0nian
~ Rocketed from Krypton ~
@krypt0nian on Twitter
#MNM3e tag represent!

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Nice Mirage. I always got a kick out of how mindlessly rebellious she was on "The New Mutants". Really a typical teenager. And yeah, it's funny that even Claremont- himself a big fan of diversity in comics- went with the "Buckskins, beads & feathers" Native American with bow-skills and animal-based powers (that were completely separate from her Mutant Powers).

krypt0nian
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by krypt0nian » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:38 pm

I think that Dani was written well enough to avert any claims of racism. I've always felt that playing to the culture of a character should never be universally avoided. Sometimes being PC kills legitimate storylines.

How horrible would it have been to miss out on the Demon Bear story to avoid Native American touchstones?
~ Rocketed from Krypton ~
@krypt0nian on Twitter
#MNM3e tag represent!

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:38 am

It's not just the Demon Bear or the buckskins (it's foolish in my opinion to ignore ALL stereotypes when making a character), it's the WHOLE THING. That said, Dani's one of my favourite characters ever, so I'm willing to forgive quite a bit. It's just hilarious that she took almost all the stereotypes (at least she wasn't a drunk). And a testament to Claremont's talent back in the day that she was a great character in spite of it.

The One Phil
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by The One Phil » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Moonstar and Wolfsbane were "possibly lovers"?

Nah, I've read a lot of X-Comics and have never once seen this implied. If you have I'd be curious to see the source cited.

Jabroniville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Jabroniville » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Hahahahaahah oh man- those two were TOTALLY implied to be lesbians back in the day....

From my own topic on the subject:
Oh yeah, and in case anyone thinks I was kidding about the lesbian subtext between Dani & Rahne, check THIS website out: http://www.wgp.org/rahnedani/index.html.

Especially THIS stuff: http://www.wgp.org/rahnedani/slut/slut.html & http://www.wgp.org/rahnedani/love/love.html. Dani was REALLY out-there, especially for a young girl in a comic book!
Basically, from what I remember of the New Mutants, the two were constantly referring to each other as "Soul-Mates". Dani & Rahne were often seen hugging, and blushing in each others' presence. Dani practically got the words "I love you" out before Rahne stopped her. Warlock pretty much figured it out at one point, as you can see in the "love" section. Dani keeps using words like "darling" and "my heart". It was the mid-80s, so no hanky-panky could officially go on, but the subtext was VERY clear. Of course, CHRIS CLAREMONT was writing- it would hardly be the only time he made some lesbariffic subtext in his stories.

A few TV Tropes articles contain other fans who've come to the same conclusions:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... YouItsOkay
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... urLesbians

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Post by Gazman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:11 pm

Whoa. Did not except to this when I got back to the boards. I personally respect Dani Moonstar as a character and a part of her character is trying to keep in touch with her ancestral culture , so that's cool. But you have to goof on comics a little because in comic world, being in touch with your people means bringing a bendy stick and a few pointy sticks to fight beings who could crush normal people with a thought. And talking to animals when it has nothing to do with your real mutant power.

Phil, if Jabroniville hadn't done it already I would have posted that exact same link to site sources on my flippant claims.

Gazman
Hero
Hero

Sunspot

Post by Gazman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Sunspot - PL 10 Shadow-skinned Striker

Strength 11/4, Stamina 7/4, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 9, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 3

Advantages
All-out Attack, Attractive, Benefit, Wealth 3 (millionare), Connected, Equipment 1, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Languages 1, Power Attack, Takedown, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+6), Athletics 4 (+15), Deception 4 (+7), Expertise (AGL): Soccer Player 7 (+11), Expertise: Business 9 (+10), Intimidation 4 (+9/+7), Persuasion 6 (+9), Ranged Combat: Solar Form 6 (+10), Vehicles 2 (+6)

Powers
Solar Form (Activation: Standard Action)
. . Flight: Flight 6 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round)
. . Super Strong, Not Invulnerable: Enhanced Trait 21 (Traits: Strength +7 (+11), Stamina +3 (+7), Intimidation +2 (+9))
. . . . Project or Absorb Light/Heat: Environment 2 (Alternate; Cold, Heat (Extreme), Light (Bright), Visibility (-5), Radius: 60 feet; Selective)
. . . . Solar Beams: Damage 10 (Alternate; DC 25; Increased Range: ranged, Variable Descriptor: close group - Solar (Light, Heat, or Force))
Solar Metabolism: Immunity 10 (Common Descriptor: Fire)

Equipment
Undercover Shirt

Offense
Initiative +8
Grab, +9 (DC Spec 21)
Solar Beams: Damage 10, +10 (DC 25)
Throw, +4 (DC 26)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 26)

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 8, Toughness 9, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 60 + Powers 43 + Advantages 14 + Skills 22 (44 ranks) + Defenses 11 = 150

Complications
Enemy: Gideon the crazed immortal mutant for kidnapping and torturing him. Reignfire for being an evil powered up future version that mind controlled him. I think?
His Father's Son: Emmanuel da Costa, self-made millionaire, was the biggest person in Roberto's life. He longed to be worthy of him and longs to follow in his footsteps. Dad's footsteps just happened to pass through the Inner Circle of the Hellfire Club...
Power Loss: Sunspot is solar powered and if he stays in his solar form for too long sans daylight, he will soon be sans powers as well.
Prejudice: Mutie scum!
Reputation: Reckless and cocky young super-stud with something to prove...ladies.
Responsibility: The X-men fight to protect a world that hates and fears them. Bobby also has to run an international business conglomerate.

Roberto "Bobby" Da Costa is a rich, talented athlete from Brazil who beat the snot out of an opponent and became a "recruiting" target for Donald Pierce before hooking up with Xavier's New Mutants. Bobby's the cocksure, hot-blooded Latin lover one. He sucks up power from the sun and stores it until he lets it rip and transforms into his ultimate form of light sucking bad-assery. The standard practice is for Sunspot to use his stored energy to boost his muscles and gain PL 10 melee attacks PL 9 defense (Remember Bobby, you're not invulnerable!), but he can also project in a couple flavors of PL 10 blast, or just generalized light/heat. He clocks in at PC point costs and ends up a slick, networked, and competent international businessman, in addition to looking like a scary black hole thing.
Last edited by Gazman on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.