World of Freedom: FC Setting Builds....

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: World of Freedom: New FC Setting characters

Post by Horsenhero »

Well, it really isn't about advantages or whatnot is it? Daybreaker is immune to heat/fire attacks, so nothing Sean can do directly can hurt him. Sean might then go for the old "burn up all the oxygen in the air" stunt to get a suffocation type affliction but Daybreaker has life support, so that wouldn't work. There's always the "melt the ground" snare affliction but Daybreaker has flight, so that wouldn't work.

It's kind of like the Human Torch vs. Superman. Honestly, there's nothing Sean could trot out that would slow down Daybreaker much, nevermind actually beating him. I don't mind really, because not every character can beat every villain. It happens. Heck, Daybreaker (as a PL10) would be difficult for Mr. Magnificent (a PL10 hero) to beat because when I created Mr. M, he was restricted to Toughness 12 and Strength 12 by GM edict...I know, because I tried to put him at 14 in each and was told to tone it down. Not to say Mr. Magnificent couldn't win, because he could...but it would be a challenge.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite »

Playing against one of TM's villains you always have the pleasure of knowing that Invisible Castle is generally on your side ;~)

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero »

Arkrite wrote:Playing against one of TM's villains you always have the pleasure of knowing that Invisible Castle is generally on your side ;~)
I Don't. Invisible Castle screws me quite often thank you very much. I usually have enough HP on hand to counter the worst of it, but I tend toward the lower end of the scale on the dice randomizer most times.

If I rolled like Catsi, things would be awesome (though I've seen IC kick the chair out from under him once or twice too), but I don't. Sean's latest escapade was a complete aberration, which was mondo spectacular, but unlikely to be repeated.

Tattooedman
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Tattooedman »

Horsenhero wrote:Well, it really isn't about advantages or whatnot is it? Daybreaker is immune to heat/fire attacks, so nothing Sean can do directly can hurt him. Sean might then go for the old "burn up all the oxygen in the air" stunt to get a suffocation type affliction but Daybreaker has life support, so that wouldn't work. There's always the "melt the ground" snare affliction but Daybreaker has flight, so that wouldn't work.

It's kind of like the Human Torch vs. Superman. Honestly, there's nothing Sean could trot out that would slow down Daybreaker much, nevermind actually beating him. I don't mind really, because not every character can beat every villain. It happens. Heck, Daybreaker (as a PL10) would be difficult for Mr. Magnificent (a PL10 hero) to beat because when I created Mr. M, he was restricted to Toughness 12 and Strength 12 by GM edict...I know, because I tried to put him at 14 in each and was told to tone it down. Not to say Mr. Magnificent couldn't win, because he could...but it would be a challenge.
You're right HH, Sean can't do a whole lot to Daybreaker head on. He'd probably be more effective helping others against him, using teamwork and set up advantages.

As for the whole Toughness restriction; in Mr. M's case it was more about game balance with the other PCs of the group than anything else as well as my wanting to have a baseline established for all characters.

Now in regards to that second part, lately I've been debating about upping that Impervious Toughness edict. In Daybreaker's case though his Toughness it is only Impervious up to 12 ranks and he only has 13 ranks total, and I have several other characters that have Toughness higher than 12 with the Impervious set at 12 as well.
World of Freedom Setting 3E

"Your ignorance is not my burden."
-- Chiun

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite »

Well, if Daybreaker's impervious ever went any higher the only people who'd be able to hurt him would be Richard and Graham. And if it ever beat thirteen Richard would be pretty much out of the fight (need to get around to buying combat feats...)

I guess my question about the level for impervious becomes "Who is this supposed to be a threat to?"

Stands to reason that the Albright Crew wouldn't really have much chance against a guy who'd give the Freedom League fits, but if most of the freedom league can't hurt him?

I suppose it also would be a good idea to ask what the goal was with the character. If the goal is to give an opponent who can't just be punched out to set up a situation where planning and tactics are needed it would make sense.

Personally I love impervious toughness... which is why I try to avoid taking too much of it. I mean, imagine how bad ass it would be to have Richard pulling that same level of Impervious Toughness as Daybreaker.
Yeah, that'd be a bad idea, but a man can dream ;~)
Last edited by Arkrite on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock »

Melissa attacks Fortitude. She can hurt him. Keisha has a penetrating attack so she can hurt him too. I'm fairly certain the Albright could beat him even if he went up a PL. 5 to 1 odds are tough to beat. Hell, Rich just beat him singlehandedly and he didn't even come in fresh.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite »

And lets be honest here, Daybreaker wasn't exactly fighting at full capacity. If he'd just all-out/power attacked three rounds in a row I'd have been pretty hard done by. And it did eat up almost all of Richard's HP just avoiding being TKOed.

I'm personally of the opinion that Richard just plain got lucky. Heck, each of those fights should have been an all out knock down brawl, and I do think that Daybreaker should have knocked his block off.

I'm pretty sure he could level most of the team in three to five rounds, and the last two he could pick apart at his lesure.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum »

Tattooedman wrote: As for the whole Toughness restriction; in Mr. M's case it was more about game balance with the other PCs of the group than anything else as well as my wanting to have a baseline established for all characters.
Salvage is in the same boat. I'm actually kinda curious on what it would take to seriously hurt her and keep her hurt.

On that same page, please let me if the limits get raised. 8)

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock »

High Impervious is more of a problem for GMs that it is for players. As a GM, if I've got a player with Impervious 12, I've gotta have damn near every opponent with some way to get around it. As a player, I only have to worry about it once in a while when the GM pulls out a heavy tank. And hopefully either another player can handle it or it doesn't happen very often.

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite »

Yeah, which is why I'm trying to stick with PL-2 for impervious. In theory it eats up most of the mundane attacks, and yet it still allows any villain who's a threat to the team to do damage to my character.
In theory, at least.

I also ran into the situation of a guy who'd gone completely toughness shifted with impervious and it was insane trying to set up fights because, as Shock said, either you had somebody with penetrating, somebody who could hammer his weak point, or another guy who was just as damage shifted in every fight because otherwise he'd just walk through the opposition like it wasn't even there.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero »

I think one of the best things 3e did was to make Impervious half value. That way guns and knives and shurikens and the like can easily be defended against, but most super-powered opponents are going to provoke a save, since it's nearly impossible for characters of equal (or even close) in level to have so much impervious protection they can ignore a super-human opponent. I know people keep trotting out the "but Superman should be able to ignore, blah, blah, blah"...but I'm far more concerned with game balance than what Superman can do in the comics. Impervious allows high toughness characters to ignore mooks which is advantage enough in my book.

The funny thing is, one of my weakest characters could take Daybreaker pretty easily. Apocrypha could wipe the floor with him. Her damaging attack is alt save will, so his impervious wouldn't matter, she's incorporeal vs. physical strength and with a dodge defense of 14, he'd need to roll a 17 or higher on his energy attacks to hit her. Against other characters of a physical nature, he's pretty formidable though.

However, T-man's right about the Albright crew missing a psionic. Hmmm...maybe it's time for Sean to retire, after all Keisha and him overlap pretty significantly. Maybe. I'll have to think about it.

As for Sally, she's tough, but not unbeatable. her biggest advantage so far has been her luck. She's had an incredible streak of good luck on IC as far as important dice rolls go, which will make it all the more dramatic when that streak ends.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum »

Good point (and one that I need to be reminded of every so often)- that whole keeping things balanced, a challenging without being overwhelmed thing.

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Post by catsi563 »

Horsenhero wrote:
Arkrite wrote:Playing against one of TM's villains you always have the pleasure of knowing that Invisible Castle is generally on your side ;~)
I Don't. Invisible Castle screws me quite often thank you very much. I usually have enough HP on hand to counter the worst of it, but I tend toward the lower end of the scale on the dice randomizer most times.

If I rolled like Catsi, things would be awesome (though I've seen IC kick the chair out from under him once or twice too), but I don't. Sean's latest escapade was a complete aberration, which was mondo spectacular, but unlikely to be repeated.
yeah it did believe me

one of those times was When Panda fought Timothy Straits. 2 Pls on her and she managed to win but man that was close. Was biting my nails the entire fight.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Post by Spectrum »

I was thinking of working on a build of Master Lee (one of the major martial arts masters of FC) as a significant NPC in my contributions to the game. Any suggestions on the build? I also haven't had much luck in finding him in the old books- though my library is a bit restricted.

Thanks!

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite »

Horsenhero wrote:However, T-man's right about the Albright crew missing a psionic. Hmmm...maybe it's time for Sean to retire, after all Keisha and him overlap pretty significantly. Maybe. I'll have to think about it.
I, for one, would be sad to see Sean go.