[3E] Penny's Build Party (Shutterbug)

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

[3E] Penny's Build Party (Shutterbug)

Postby badpenny » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Builds, builds, builds!

And now fights!

Ms. America and the Black Blade in Assault on Hochwanner!
Last edited by badpenny on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:49 am, edited 19 times in total.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Cast of Characters

Postby badpenny » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Last edited by badpenny on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:50 am, edited 20 times in total.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

The Black Blade

Postby badpenny » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Art by Matt Bennet

Quote: "Run, villain, run. I enjoy the hunt!"
Power Level: 10
Concept: Swashbuckling crimefighter with mystical weapon
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record
Identity: Secret
Place of Birth: Madison, Wisconsin
Marital Status: Single
Living Relatives: None
Height: 6 ft. 2 in.
Weight: 175 lbs.
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Bodycast: Matt Bomer

The Black Blade - PL 10

Strength 2, Stamina 4, Agility 7, Dexterity 1, Fighting 8, Intellect 1, Awareness 6, Presence 1

Advantages
Agile Feint, Defensive Roll 3, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Luck, Power Attack, Skill Mastery: Athletics, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge, Weapon Break

Skills
Acrobatics 8 (+15), Athletics 13 (+15 [25]), Close Combat: Star Shard 4 (+12), Expertise: Streetwise 8 (+9), Insight 4 (+10), Intimidation 9 (+10), Investigation 8 (+9), Perception 4 (+10), Stealth 8 (+15)

Powers
Dimensional Shift: Movement 2 (Permeate 2: speed rank -1; Extra: Affects Others: -2 speed rank) · 5 points
Mind Sight: Senses 4 (Mental 4 (Accurate, Radius, Ranged; Advantage: Uncanny Dodge) · 5 points
Star Shard (Advantages: Improved Defense, Weapon Break; Quirk: Can be disarmed, Move action to summon back) · 17 points
. . Damage 8 linked to Weaken Toughness 8 (Resisted by Fortitude; Extra: Affects Objects; Flaw: Limited: Instant recovery)
. . Environmental Cascade: Cone Area Damage 8 (Alternate; Extras: Cone Area: 60 feet cone, Variable Descriptor: close group - Environmental) · 1 point

Offense
Initiative +11
Environmental Cascade: Cone Area Damage 8 (DC 23)
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 12)
Star Shard: Damage 8 linked to Weaken Toughness 8, +12 (DC 23, DC Fort 18)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 17)

Complications
Accident: Dimensional Travel is tricky even for the experienced. It's possible that Lance could end up somewhere other than he intended if something were to go awry.

Enemy: The Star Shard is an ancient alien artifact, the badge of office for a great peacekeeping force. That Lance wields it could bring either enemies to target him, or the aliens themselves may inquire into his possession of it.

Identity: Black Blade is Lance Williams

Motivation: Justice: From his first beginnings as a vigilante to his swearing to wield the Star Shard, Lance is driven by his desire for justice against those who perpetrate evil.

Motivation: Thrills: Lance has an adventurous spirit, and while he takes his calling of justice seriously, he enjoys the hunt and the chase of bringing criminals to justice.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 13, Parry 13, Fortitude 8, Toughness 7/4, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 60 + Powers 28 + Advantages 12 + Skills 33 (66 ranks) + Defenses 17 = 150

Background: Lance Williams was a gifted, natural athlete. His parents wanted the best for him and sent him to a private school where they had fencing. How he loved it! It consumed him. Later, he fenced at the collegiate level and at the same time, he began to adopt a costumed identity while on campus to avenge the wrongs he saw perpetrated against the weak and innocent.

It didn't take long for Lance to get in over his head. Stopping purse snatchers and defending vulnerable women were one thing, but when he began to take on organized crime, he became a target. He was a proficient martial artist, and an excellent swordsman, but he wasn't prepared to use an actual sword to kill...but the bad guys had no such compunction.

At first he took a beating, and when he came back redoubling his efforts to fight crime, he was targeted for death. Left for dead in an alley, Lance had a vision. An extra-dimensional vision. A disembodied figure, trapped in a dimensional limbo, had found Earth and Lance. The man--a strange bipedal humanoid--pulled Lance through and saved his life. The man, through an odd-looking device, told Lance of his mission to protect the galaxy from evil, and of his singular quest to capture an escaped prisoner bent on vast destruction. But this interstellar policeman could no longer remember who he had been after. There had been an accident--sabotage--and a dimensional mine had exploded, overloading his pursuit craft. He'd woken to find that he'd become trapped in this unknown dimension.

It was too late for the alien policeman, but he recognized the familiar struggle on earth--and Lance's efforts to preserve the peace--and saw in Lance a kindred spirit. That longing for justice burned bright, and he could let go knowing it would be carried into a new age. He'd been holding on for so long....

The policeman bestowed upon Lance his weapon of office, the Star Shard, and the alien weapon expanded Lance's consciousness. The policeman was wistful for his glory days, but it was not to be. He would fade from existence, but Lance wielded the Star Shard now and he would continue the never-ending fight for justice!
Last edited by badpenny on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: [3E] Penny's Build Party

Postby Shock » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:16 pm

I like the design journal idea. Unlike the super advanced builders, I can't always just look at a collection of feats and skills and see what kind of character I'm looking at so that really helps make the character stand out better to me.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:36 pm

I do like Black Blade, and I really only have one comment.

While I understand economy of points, there should be limits. Having a superhuman Agility of 9 and a Dexterity of 0 seems completely out of whack, especially for a sword wielder. Dexterity is hand-eye coordination, and there isn't an argument that can be made that a swordsman with Agility of 9 and Fighting of 10 would have a Dexterity of 0. Sometimes you have to sacrifice certain things to maintain an organic flow to the character. Plus it gives you things to grow into.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:46 pm

kenseido wrote:I do like Black Blade, and I really only have one comment.

While I understand economy of points, there should be limits. Having a superhuman Agility of 9 and a Dexterity of 0 seems completely out of whack, especially for a sword wielder. Dexterity is hand-eye coordination, and there isn't an argument that can be made that a swordsman with Agility of 9 and Fighting of 10 would have a Dexterity of 0. Sometimes you have to sacrifice certain things to maintain an organic flow to the character. Plus it gives you things to grow into.

I would normally agree, but DEX is broken to me. That it adds to Ranged Attacks and only two skills (Sleight of Hand and Vehicles means it has to be given short shrift when you're on a budget. I'd like to flesh out all the character with points in INT, DEX and PRE, but it can't be done AND kit your characters out with what they need to have at PL 10. The funny thing is at lower PL it's actually easy to do this.

The reality, for me, is that since it's an effect-driven game, I put the points into the effects that I need. Black Blade has no ranged attacks, doesn't drive or perform Slight of Hand. Why sink points into DEX? He's Intimidating, but why waste points in PRE when it only adds to one skill at an inflated cost?

It's a conceit, yes, but we usually only look at ranks in PRE...never. We look at the effect of adding Attractive, but when do you make a PRE check? Or compare two characters to see which one if more impressive? Never.

I'll do it for INT when I buy up four or more INT skills because then it pays for itself.

I think the whole idea of Abilities is a kludge from an earlier time. They have to ALL make sense and be usable or just do away with them and concentrate on effects. I'd go for a version where everything was ala carte.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Nighthawk

Postby badpenny » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:57 pm

Art by CelticBolt

Quote: "Blood will have blood!"
Power Level: 10
Concept: Life Controlling Martial Artist
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record
Identity: Secret
Place of Birth: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Marital Status: Single
Living Relatives: Jack (grandfather), June (grandmother)
Height: 6 ft. 2 in.
Weight: 200 lbs.
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black

Nighthawk - PL 10

Strength 7, Stamina 7, Agility 7, Dexterity 1, Fighting 11, Intellect 1, Awareness 7, Presence 1

Advantages
All-out Attack, Close Attack 2, Defensive Roll 2, Diehard, Evasion, Fearless, Improved Critical: Blood-forged Vambraces, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+13), Athletics 6 (+13), Expertise: Streetwise 6 (+7), Insight 4 (+11), Intimidation 12 (+13), Investigation 8 (+9), Perception 2 (+9), Stealth 4 (+11)

Powers
Blood Sense: Senses 5 (Detect Blood (Accurate, Acute, Ranged)) · 5 points

Blood-forged Vambraces Array
. . Blood Control: Cumulative Affliction 7 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled; Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Extras: Cumulative, Insidious; Flaw: Grab-based) · 8 points
. . Blood for Blood: Healing 7 (Extras: Linked: Unarmed Attack, Persistent, Restorative; Flaws: Limited: Personal, Limited: A damage condition must be inflicted) · 1 point
. . First Blood: Strength Effect 7 (Extras: Incurable, Multiattack 7) · 1 point
. . Weeping Blood: Cumulative Affliction 7 (1st degree: Visually Impaired, 2nd degree: Visually Disabled, 3rd degree: Visually Unaware; Resisted and Overcome by Fortitude; Extras: Cumulative, Linked: Unarmed Attack, Reversible; Flaw: Limited to one sense) · 1 point

Cunning Fighter: Feature 1 (Note: He can use his Attack bonus to Feint/Trick instead of the Deception skill) · 1 point

Eldritch Eyes
. . Immunity 2 (Visual Sensory Affliction Effects; Flaw: Limited - Half Effect) · 1 point
. . Senses 2 (Darkvision) · 2 points

Æternal: Immunity 2 (Aging, Sleep, Advantages: Diehard) · 3 points

Offense
Initiative +11
Blood Control: Cumulative Affliction 7, +13 (DC Fort 17, Crit 19-20)
First Blood, +13 (DC 22, Crit 19-20, Multiattack)
Grab, +13 (DC Spec 17)
Unarmed, +13 (DC 22)
Weeping Blood: Cumulative Affliction 7, +13 (DC Fort 17, Crit 19-20)

Complications
Bloodlust (Temper): Nighthawk can become consumed by a powerful bloodlust when fighting particularly heinous foes

Identity: Nighthawk is Hoyt Warsaw

Motivation: Justice: Nighthawk devotes his æternal life to seeking justice and punishing those who escape it

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 11, Parry 11, Fortitude 8, Toughness 9/7, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 84 + Powers 23 + Advantages 13 + Skills 24 (48 ranks) + Defenses 6 = 150

Background: Hoyt Warsaw grew up in Wilkes-Barre, the son of a train engineer and a schoolteacher. As a boy, Hoyt was deeply interested in all things magic (predominantly stage magic, but the occult followed soon enough). As a teenager, Hoyt put on shows for his friends and developed a small reputation in his neighborhood and school.

Hoyt came upon an old book shop who's proprietor was also a fan of magic, and the two hit it off. Hoyt spent a lot of time in there, talking with the old man, buying and discussing books on magic and the occult. It was around this time that Hoyt began to work on a stage presence. He began to become more professional about his craft and though just sixteen years old, adopt an older and wiser attitude.

For his eighteenth birthday, the old man gave Hoyt two rather dull looking leather arm wraps that he insisted belonged to a great magician. Hoyt couldn't understand what they were for, but the old man showed him how to wear them and Hoyt began to wear them all the time. Literally around the clock. They became his favorite possession and he wore them proudly, despite no one else understanding his fascination with them. To Hoyt, they were beautiful, like they were made out of gold.

It was at this time that things began to change in Hoyt's household. His father lost his job, and his parents began to argue. They got into fights all the time over the smallest of things and his father began to hit his mother. Hoyt had never seen his father like this and the more angry his father became, the more Hoyt went to defend his mother.

One night Hoyt's dad came after his mother with a kitchen knife. Without pause, Hoyt leaped to his mother's defense interposing himself between his father and mother. This didn't stop his father who attacked him with the knife. Hoyt, who had never so much as thrown a punch in his life, suddenly was able to expertly defend himself against his father's blind rage.

The fight didn't go well--for Hoyt's father. With Hoyt's new found expertise, he was able to not only defend his mother, but also himself, and in doing so, turned the knife back onto his father. Blood spilled everywhere, splashing onto the armbands which then revealed to Hoyt that they were indeed made from a golden metal. Hoyt's father died in front of him, but he wasn't even aware of it as his attention was fully devoted to the shining vambraces and the fact that he couldn't remove them.

A strange look came over Hoyt's face and when his mother realized it was the same crazed look on his father's face, his mother blindly fled--right into traffic. Hoyt was going to turn his rage not to his mother, but his father (not knowing that he was already dead). The sight of his mother being struck down by an oncoming car served to snap him out of it--just in time to see the car continue on being driven by the old man from the magic shop.

After the police investigation, Hoyt went looking for the old man only to find that the magic shop had been closed for years; everything inside was covered in layers of dust. Hoyt was thrown into a state of utter shock by the revelation (begun when he discovered he was unable to remove the vambraces).

He wandered around for days (and nights, as he no longer grew tired enough to sleep). In his wanderings he began to see another side of society, the hidden one of crime. He began to intervene, casually, without thinking of the consequences. He took out his frustration and torment on these criminals and on several occasions discovered the blade-like properties of the vambraces.

It's been some time since his parents died, and Hoyt has finally stopped trying to find a way to remove the vambraces. He's able to channel his bloodlust into his crimefighting. If ever there was a high price to pay for a gift, Hoyt is paying it. He's trying to use his abilities for the common good, to stave off the evil he feels at work in his life. Whether he ultimately succeeds or not, Hoyt seemingly has eternity to attempt it.
Last edited by badpenny on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Speed Monkey
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Speed Monkey » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:34 pm

badpenny wrote:
kenseido wrote:I do like Black Blade, and I really only have one comment.

I would normally agree, but DEX is broken to me. That it adds to Ranged Attacks and only two skills (Sleight of Hand and Vehicles means it has to be given short shrift when you're on a budget. I'd like to flesh out all the character with points in INT, DEX and PRE, but it can't be done AND kit your characters out with what they need to have at PL 10. The funny thing is at lower PL it's actually easy to do this.

The reality, for me, is that since it's an effect-driven game, I put the points into the effects that I need. Black Blade has no ranged attacks, doesn't drive or perform Slight of Hand. Why sink points into DEX? He's Intimidating, but why waste points in PRE when it only adds to one skill at an inflated cost?

It's a conceit, yes, but we usually only look at ranks in PRE...never. We look at the effect of adding Attractive, but when do you make a PRE check? Or compare two characters to see which one if more impressive? Never.

I'll do it for INT when I buy up four or more INT skills because then it pays for itself.

I think the whole idea of Abilities is a kludge from an earlier time. They have to ALL make sense and be usable or just do away with them and concentrate on effects. I'd go for a version where everything was ala carte.

I think this is one reason why your builds appeal to me. Builds modeled after existing characters are so often what looks good on paper whereas your builds are what a player would want to build for utitily and fun.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:01 pm

I couldn't agree more. It's two varying types of building. My NPC builds get the full treatment, but I try to do my PCs like they are being played. So Wolverine with 200 pts gets a higher dex and ranged abilities, but the PL10/150 one gets zippo dex and is all melee. Gotta go with the spirit of the character.

And thanks for the props. I WISH I was in Jab and Taliesin's class, but even though I don't think I deserve, the inference is nice. 8)
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:11 pm

badpenny wrote:I would normally agree, but DEX is broken to me. That it adds to Ranged Attacks and only two skills (Sleight of Hand and Vehicles means it has to be given short shrift when you're on a budget. I'd like to flesh out all the character with points in INT, DEX and PRE, but it can't be done AND kit your characters out with what they need to have at PL 10. The funny thing is at lower PL it's actually easy to do this.

The way I usually look at it, I think in terms of 2e. Agility, Dexterity, and Fighting replace Dexterity, Attack, and Defense. Just like I am opposed to people that buy 0 Attack and everything in Attack Focus or Attack Specialist or Defense 0 and everything in Dodge Focus (in fact, I have a House Rule against it), I treat this the same way.

That being said, it's your character so if you are happy with it, cool. But I probably wouldn't pick him for one of my games.

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:12 am

If the disparity between a high Agility and Fighting, but a low Dexterity bothers people, the other option would be to take Agility down, but buy up Dodge, Acrobatics, and Stealth by the same amount (a zero sum). Then decrease Fighting, whilst buying up Parry and Close Attack (also a zero sum). It'll remove the disparity between abilities, but leave the effects the same.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:18 am

kenseido wrote:The way I usually look at it, I think in terms of 2e. Agility, Dexterity, and Fighting replace Dexterity, Attack, and Defense. Just like I am opposed to people that buy 0 Attack and everything in Attack Focus or Attack Specialist or Defense 0 and everything in Dodge Focus (in fact, I have a House Rule against it), I treat this the same way.

DEX in 2E isn't broken. It ads to Init, Reflex save, and DEX-based skills. Attack is uncoupled from any attributes, which I think is smart. There was NO reason to to create a separate stat like DEX in 3E other than Steve wanted it to be different to sell DCA.

If you're not going to use Grabbing Finesse, have ranged attacks, use Sleight of Hand or Vehicles, why should you put points into DEX?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:35 am

That is the same as asking, if you aren't going to have any ranged attacks, why put any points into Base Attack under the 2E rules. There isn't a one to one relationship between Dexterity, Attack, and Defense in 2E and Agility, Dexterity, and Fighting in 3E; but they are related.

To me, putting a 0 in Dexterity, Agility, or Fighting is exactly the same as putting a 0 in Attack or Defense. I know I am not the only GM who feels this way.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:50 am

kenseido wrote:To me, putting a 0 in Dexterity, Agility, or Fighting is exactly the same as putting a 0 in Attack or Defense. I know I am not the only GM who feels this way.

You'll have to say more about why you feel this way. For me, it's not just a difference in opinion--I don't understand why you need to waste points.

A purely ranged fighter, who's not going to enter into melee combat is wasting points buying up Fighting. Same goes for a strictly melee fighter who puts points into Dexterity.

Speed Monkey
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Speed Monkey » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:31 am

I think what might be a point of contention here is what is viewed as playing within the spirit of the game. If I am correct in my assumption kenseido views characters with high Agility and no Dex as not fitting what the M&M designers intended conceptually (at least inferring that from official builds). However badpenny has built his/her (sorry not sure on your gender) builds based on utility BUT also on concept. I think it is this second part that is really important and delineates badpenny's builds from a power gamer's builds. 1) badpenny's characters all have rich backgrounds with plenty of potential story threads. 2) The builds are built to represent the characters' core concepts, not a power grab for the ultimate game breaking build. All that said both viewpoints are correct. Ultimately it depends on what everyone in your game wants to play.

Return to “Roll Call”