Could someone confirm my point calculations please?

Please, tell us about your character! This section is custom-made just for your heroes (or villains) to hang out in and strut their stuff.
No Idea Man
Sidekick
Sidekick

Could someone confirm my point calculations please?

Post by No Idea Man »

I've made a character for a friend's campaign that he's running in the forseeable future, but I've made it mostly by working out point costs using character examples provided in Gimmick's Gadgets. I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to confirm and constructively criticize the points costs, please?

I'll leave out the characters background and name, in case one of the other players for the campaign work out who I am and ruin the mystery of my character.

PL10, 150pp

18 Str 8 pp
16 Dex 6 pp
EDIT: 10 Con 0 pp
20 Int 10 pp
16 Wis 6 pp
10 Cha 0 pp

30 pp

Base Attack Bonus: +1 3 pp
Base Defense Bonus: +1 2 pp

5 pp

Skills:
Computers +1
Disable Device +1
Demolitions +1
Repair +1
Science (Physics) +1
Science (Robotics) +1
Science (Mathematics) +1
Craft (Electronics) +1

8 pp

Feats:
Darkvision 2 pp
Photographic Memory 2 pp
Power Attack 2 pp
Indomitable Will 2 pp

8 pp

Powers [Source: Super-Science]
Super Strength +6 [Extras: Leaping, Protection; Flaw: Static (No extra effort); Cost: 5pp; Total: 30 pp].
Hardness +15 [Cost: 1 pp; Total: 15 pp]
Immunity (Aging, Disease, Energy-Cold, Energy-Heat, Exhaustion, Poison, Pressure, Starvation, Suffocation) [Total: 18 pp]
Super Intelligence +10 [Extra: Amazing Save (Will, Reflex); Cost: 4pp; Total: 40 pp]
Energy Blast +6 [Flaw: Static; Cost: 1pp; Total: 6 pp]

109 pp

Vulnerability: Electromagnetic radiation

-10 pp

Total:
150 pp

Thank you. :)
Last edited by No Idea Man on Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Born from an egg on a mountain top.

MLChance
Disciple
Disciple

Post by MLChance »

Immunity (Aging, Disease, Energy-Cold, Energy-Heat, Exhaustion, Poison, Pressure, Starvation, Suffocation) [Total: 18 pp]
Just an observation: Since the character has no Con score, he automatically succeeds at Fortitude saves unless the condition that requires that save would affect a construct. Thus, he is already immune to disease, the debilitating effects of cold and heat, exhaustion, poison, et cetera.

On the flip side, he cannot heal damage, but must be repaired. He also has only three damage states: undamaged, damaged, and broken. He can't be stunned.
Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.
My MM Builds
Spes Magna Games

No Idea Man
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by No Idea Man »

I wasn't sure about the immunities... I had a quick look at a friend's copy of the core rules, and it seemed a little hazy about construct PCs, as to whether they had to pay for the immunities or not, and also I didn't notice it mention that PC constructs only had undamaged, damaged and broken. Could you elaborate please?

MLChance
Disciple
Disciple

Post by MLChance »

No Idea Man wrote:I wasn't sure about the immunities... I had a quick look at a friend's copy of the core rules, and it seemed a little hazy about construct PCs, as to whether they had to pay for the immunities or not, and also I didn't notice it mention that PC constructs only had undamaged, damaged and broken. Could you elaborate please?
On p. 117, the rules note that constructs "effectively have all of the Immunity super-feats." This is because they are "immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude...save unless that effect normally works on inanimate objects," which is a consequence of not having a Con score.

On p. 118, we note that "ntelligent constructs are affected by powers requiring a Will save, unless the power specifically does not affect nonliving beings."

Also on p. 118, under Construct Characters, it notes that such heroes have the full range of ability scores. This includes a Con score, contrary to normal construct rules, which means that none of the above about immunities would apply. This isn't the route you chose to go with your character.

The rules for damaging an object (including constructs that do not have Con scores) are found on pp. 138-139 under Attacking an Object. Note Damage to Objects on p. 139.
Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.
My MM Builds
Spes Magna Games

No Idea Man
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by No Idea Man »

Ah, I see. Thank you very much. I think I was confused by the examples in that section, and by Damocles, as they don't have Con scores.

Dannyalcatraz
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Dannyalcatraz »

Apologies for the minor hijack here, but since everyone was discussing constructs, I thought they could help out:

One thing I don't understand about construct characters was the ban on INT based skills.

I'm trying to build a PC who is essentially the mind of a stoner metalhead janitor who got fused into the mental circuitry of a damaged bipedal robot scout. Because of this, the PC's knowledge of metal bands, quality weed, and alien culture is unsurpassed...but a construct can't have INT skills!

How can I model this?

No Idea Man
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by No Idea Man »

I think that would be for automated construct characters. PC constructs follow the normal rules for character building, I think, except they're expected to have hardness and some immunities at the start. So he could have Int-based skills.

CaptainBroken
Groupie
Groupie

Post by CaptainBroken »

i dont have my book near me..but ive considerd making a construct of some sort, anyway, is there like a pp cost for being a construct? seems like an advantedge to have hardness and all the immunities...i dont know..

and a couple things i noticed..skills are a little low for my taste but its cool.
+15 hardness? unless you gm is playing pl and 1/2, this breaks stacking limits, might be diff for constructs...
also, is the vulnerability a weakness ? like you gave yourself 10 points for,,cuz.. stuff like emp and datalink are already your worse nightmare..i thing Electromagnetic radiation ...er..yea kinda already falls under Emp
If its Not Broken, Ill Break it

No Idea Man
Sidekick
Sidekick

Post by No Idea Man »

To confess, I don't have the book yet, I'm planning to order it today though. My poor student funds just got a boost yesterday. :)

But if EMP is already considered a vulnerability/susceptability, then I guess I'll have to substitute for Vulnerable: Electricity (ahh, the joys of 100% metal armour :P)

For PP cost of being a construct - From what I gathered from Steve Kenson's reply on the Official Rules Questions section, to make a PC a construct you just give them Immunity to Aging, Disease, Poison, etc. and maybe some Hardness to boot.

The low skills were because I ran out of points, but not forgetting I get +15 due to +5 Int bonus and +10 due to Super Intelligence, making them all effectively +16.

15 Hardness is in the construct rules, where it says Constructs can have Hardness up to their PL + 5, and even if that can't give me a +15 Damage save, I'll still keep it to soak up Disintigrate and other Hardness-reducing powers.