Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Storn Art Reboot

We have a lot of talented artists who frequent these forums. This is the place for them to show off their stuff.

Re: Storn Art Reboot

Postby Storn » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:17 am

I promised some more artwork and here it is. First up, an illustration I did for Black Gate magazine awhile back. Unfortunately, it printed a bit dark, but I like the composition.

If you are a fan of fantasy and you aren't reading black gate, you are doing yourself a disservice. There are some very nice articles on gaming, history of past writers, very good reviews of up and coming novels and some great short stories. It is really a privilege to do work for Black Gate. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.blackgate.com/

And here is the pic:

And this is a companion commission to one that I did 10!!! years ago.

and here is the one I did 10 years ago...

And a recent fantasy commission. Of which, appears in Image Portfolio 3, if anyone wants a higher resolution. I've teamed up with LPJ Design and will be releasing some artworks in higher resolutions to make an extra buck here and there. Linkage: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php? ... s_id=92173

artwork:

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic
visual storytelling
www.StornArt.com
Sons of Kryos Gaming Podcast
www.sonsofkryos.com
Storn
Champion
Champion

Postby Storn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:20 am

Back to superheroes! Here is a villain team done for Jeff W., the All-in Gang

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
visual storytelling
www.StornArt.com
www.sonsofkryos.com
Storn
Champion
Champion

Postby Jeff Wilder » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:14 am

Storn wrote:Back to superheroes! Here is a villain team done for Jeff W., the All-in Gang

That's (from left to right) Big Slick (friction control), River Rat (were-rat), Gutshot (strength and immovability), Big Blind (invisibility and force), and Pocket Rocket (shrinking and flight).

Storn did something pretty cool, and did separate portraits, then combined them for a composite.

(As an aside, it's *amazing* how many poker terms and puns can be turned into viable supers concepts. I think I have at least 10 more members ready for the All-In Gang, to replace those that get nabbed.)
Jeff Wilder
Bystander
Bystander

Postby DrZombie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:16 pm

Looks good. We need more poker themed characters.
DrZombie
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Storn » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:36 am

Here is another one for Death Tribble, along with collaboration from Enforcer84, a frequent poster on the Hero forums. The idea is Tiamat as a supervillianess. I wanted her to not quite have "human" skin. So she is slightly lizardy green in color.

enjoy.

visual storytelling
www.StornArt.com
www.sonsofkryos.com
Storn
Champion
Champion

Postby Storn » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:02 am

Here was a really fun one for me. I was asked for a steampunk horse. Something I've never done before. I think it came out pretty well, but your guys are the real judges.

I'm hip deep in a full background, 3 figures, large landscape, lot of detail, commission and it will probably take another couple of days. So, the output from me is going to be slow again.

visual storytelling
www.StornArt.com
www.sonsofkryos.com
Storn
Champion
Champion

Postby freeclint » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:08 am

Now that is really cool.
I don't know much about steampunk, but I think it might be too streamlined. Seems like the rear hips would have a big gear or something.

Regardless, as a fan of cowboys, that is really cool looking. What would you guess, PL 4 sidekick? Or just a vehicle?
Christian, husband, father and gamer.
My beginning character repository.
freeclint
Cohort
Cohort

Postby CelticREI » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:33 am

freeclint wrote:Now that is really cool.
I don't know much about steampunk, but I think it might be too streamlined. Seems like the rear hips would have a big gear or something.

Regardless, as a fan of cowboys, that is really cool looking. What would you guess, PL 4 sidekick? Or just a vehicle?

I'd agree, that is an awesome "Mecha/Mech" Horse but Steampunk is (normally) much more visible on the inner workings, with a good 45-60% of the 'inner workings' being on the outside on average. Think a bit more 'clockwork' than 'robo' and ye got it. (I do -love- the fact ye had the coal-smoke/steam coming from the horse's nose, classic ^_^)

And speaking on commission work, where do I go to ask? PM, an e-mail, post it up on here? I'm going to slowly start getting some pictures for my team Se7en.
*Owl throws down a smoke pellet to cover escape*
*FLUME OF SLEEP GAS*
*THUD*
Owl: "zzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzz"
Batman: *facepalm*

GM - The Organization On Hold
Celt's Builds, and characters for other games
CelticREI
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Storn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:58 am

yah. A few folks said that the above horse didn't feel steampunky enuff. I thought I had nailed it. I put gears and stuff in there...but i guess it wasn't enuff. I admit that steampunk is outside of my comfort zone. My gear inspiration was the vault door at my local bank, I was taking some items from memory. Oh well. Isn't that always the way. One that I thought was off the hook, folks are kind 'eh' on.

moving on...

Here is another one from the fertile mind of Death Tribble. Maybe we should say "fermented".

As I was drawing this, I kept thinking along the lines of:

"In disguise, mild-mannered, vegetarian, history professor Archibald Reach teaches at a major metropolitan university. But when the clarion call of adventure and danger is heard!!! Off come the tweed and glasses and heeding the crescendo of crime EXPLODES AMERICAN REX!!! The Titanic Tyrannosaur. The Dinosaur of Dynamite. That most beloved of Super Saurians!"

p.s. I totally think Archibald Reach is a giant dinosaur in professor tweed with horn rims. He doesn't transform from man into dino. But with his glasses and academic demeanor, no one knows that he is actually AMERICAN REX. Except for his sidekick Anklesoar aka Andy Ackers, student body treasurer.

{sigh}....Freelance illustration is such a lonely profession....

visual storytelling
www.StornArt.com
www.sonsofkryos.com
Storn
Champion
Champion

Postby the Haunt » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Oh he is so making an appearance in my M&M game tomorrow. :D
People are afraid of you Nations are afraid of you. - Superman
I'm a Kheran Warlord. I'd be disappointed if they weren't - Mr. Majestic
the Haunt
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Mercutio » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:12 pm

That is hilarious! And my wife thinks I'm a total dork for laughing so hard about it.
Characters (3E)

Russ Charles (PL6) -- Wheel of Fortune (Neo-Noir)
K9 Boy (PL10) -- St. Metrovilleburg (Satire/Parody)
Mercutio
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Crazyivan777 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:23 pm

American Rex is now the favorite hero of my hero, Doctor Dino (From a universe where dinosaurs evolved instead of primates, Doctor Dino was bitten by a radioactive neanderthal and gained the proportionate speed and eyesight of a human!)
Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby death tribble » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:05 pm

Storn wrote:moving on...

Here is another one from the fertile mind of Death Tribble. Maybe we should say "fermented".

As I was drawing this, I kept thinking along the lines of:

"In disguise, mild-mannered, vegetarian, history professor Archibald Reach teaches at a major metropolitan university. But when the clarion call of adventure and danger is heard!!! Off come the tweed and glasses and heeding the crescendo of crime EXPLODES AMERICAN REX!!! The Titanic Tyrannosaur. The Dinosaur of Dynamite. That most beloved of Super Saurians!"

p.s. I totally think Archibald Reach is a giant dinosaur in professor tweed with horn rims. He doesn't transform from man into dino. But with his glasses and academic demeanor, no one knows that he is actually AMERICAN REX. Except for his sidekick Anklesoar aka Andy Ackers, student body treasurer.

{sigh}....Freelance illustration is such a lonely profession....

I fear my lunacy has infected the artist. I did wonder whether this one would make it onto the forums before July 4th. It is my oldest outstanding commission under the generic Monster as Hero guise. I just had the idea finally a couple of weeks back as I did not want to duplicate anything we had already done before and I already a vampire and werewolf. So what had we not done ? A dinosaur, specifically a T Rex. And what better than a T Rex with a cape with the American flag on the costume.
That was all my doing. That and making bigger arms. The flavour text that Storn came up with is all his own invention. And after that I think I do need a drink.
Dangerous when cute
death tribble
Disciple
Disciple

Postby King Snarf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:47 am

American Rex ties DMAC's Gun Monkey as the most inspired bit of artistic lunacy we've seen on the boards.
Arriba Flight es muy macho!

Visit my blog! http://teentemplars.blogspot.com

Visit my author page!
King Snarf
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Storn » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:46 am

A cover done for small press. Digital over pencil. Used mostly Painter 11 and a bit of of photoshop cs2.

visual storytelling
www.StornArt.com
www.sonsofkryos.com
Storn
Champion
Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Drawing Board