Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The Perfectibilists! Part Three: Paradise, Lost![IC]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: The Perfectibilists! Part Three: Paradise, Lost![IC]

Postby Hound » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:06 am

Jack
VP: ???(unsure of total)

Jack sighed, "With do respect. I'm out. I may be unique in this, but I commit crimes simply to be chased. I enjoy hunting the hunters. So much so, most super hero groups operate under the rule 'never engage Jack alone.' Which is how I like it. Taking away all the heroes at once... ruining the game. That is not something I am for."

The woodsmen bowed, "I wish you the best of luck in your endevours, however, this is not something I can be party to." The woodsmen stood up right and smiled, "No hard feelings?"
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Belial666 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:17 am

Essence
VP: ??? -1
Condition: :?:

There is a small problem with your plan, Shepherd. Essence says with a smile as she plays for time to decide - and read the Old One on whether he's truthful, if she can. The same tiny little problem that all rituals of that kind have. She shrugs, perhaps a bit uncomfortably. Some time ago, I devised a ritual that could get rid of an entire pantheon. I am not nearly strong enough to kill gods directly but I could cast a great plague that would kill all their true followers in that country. Without them, their power would eventually fade, and I'd even arranged to cast the ritual from a place those gods could not enter. But a certain individual -whose Name I shall not mention here- warned the pantheon. The white-haired woman scowls While I was busy casting my ritual, the gods were busy moving their followers. When the plague hit the country, not one loyal worshiper had been left behind to die. And after the ritual was done, the gods and their worshipers simply returned.

Essence raises an eyebrow at the older "man". So my question is this; the heroes are not fools. They know when you must cast your ritual. They will know the moment you begin casting. And from previous attempts, they will know how long it takes. Why not arrange to simply leave the planet before the ritual is complete and then return after it is cast? Nodding at the others, she goes on The simplest of counters to a time-sensitive plan is avoidance. Oracle herself can open dimensional portals - and she's far from the only one. So even if we all agreed to help you in this plan, what would guarantee our efforts were not in vain? That is far from the only counter I can see to any time-sensitive plans. What if another of the Old Powers decides to intervene, for example? I seem to recall instances were the Sun and Moon were made to stand still so the day grew long enough for their followers to win in a war. They could probably make it so the day your power is great enough for the ritual suddenly passes too quickly for the ritual to be cast.

OOC:
Essence rolls a 26 for Insight and decides to reroll, getting a 33 so she can read The Shepherd. Also, she's bringing up fairly important points regarding time-sensitive rituals. If those things were easy to cast, Cthulhu would have been awake now. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3792165/
Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ysariel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:34 am

Specter
Condition: Normal / VP: 2, Luck: 1

"You're not being completely honest with us," Specter said out loud. She shook her head, set her glass down and folded her arms across her chest. "There's something you're not telling me yet. I'd love to be in on this with you. I'd dearly relish the chance to do what you're suggesting. But I'm sure you can understand that I need to be sure I can trust you utterly while you're busy executing a ritual that will apparently destroy every superhuman on the planet."

"Out of respect for you, I won't try reading minds. But you're going to have to come clean with me on what you're really up to."
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:12 am

Hound wrote:Jack sighed, "With do respect. I'm out. I may be unique in this, but I commit crimes simply to be chased. I enjoy hunting the hunters. So much so, most super hero groups operate under the rule 'never engage Jack alone.' Which is how I like it. Taking away all the heroes at once... ruining the game. That is not something I am for."

The woodsmen bowed, "I wish you the best of luck in your endevours, however, this is not something I can be party to." The woodsmen stood up right and smiled, "No hard feelings?"

The Shepherd, after hearing the Woodsman's answer,nods & responds, " A pity. I was so hoping you would be joining us, Jack, but ... you are free to leave. "

Sent a PM in regard to Jack's next move ...

Belial666 wrote:... Essence raises an eyebrow at the older "man". So my question is this; the heroes are not fools. They know when you must cast your ritual. They will know the moment you begin casting. And from previous attempts, they will know how long it takes. Why not arrange to simply leave the planet before the ritual is complete and then return after it is cast? Nodding at the others, she goes on The simplest of counters to a time-sensitive plan is avoidance. Oracle herself can open dimensional portals - and she's far from the only one. So even if we all agreed to help you in this plan, what would guarantee our efforts were not in vain? That is far from the only counter I can see to any time-sensitive plans. What if another of the Old Powers decides to intervene, for example? I seem to recall instances were the Sun and Moon were made to stand still so the day grew long enough for their followers to win in a war. They could probably make it so the day your power is great enough for the ritual suddenly passes too quickly for the ritual to be cast.

Pointing lightly at Essence, the Shepherd nods, " While I am very sure you are familiar with this form of incantation, 'The Eye' is something of a personal recipe, crafted from pieces of many spells. In order to have its intended result, the rite must be performed on Earth - the nation's capitol, no less ... So, you see my need for your help: this sacred location provides me both the greatest chance of victory, but also presents the surest risk of retaliation from my adversaries ..."

Ysariel wrote:"You're not being completely honest with us," Specter said out loud. She shook her head, set her glass down and folded her arms across her chest. "There's something you're not telling me yet. I'd love to be in on this with you. I'd dearly relish the chance to do what you're suggesting. But I'm sure you can understand that I need to be sure I can trust you utterly while you're busy executing a ritual that will apparently destroy every superhuman on the planet."

"Out of respect for you, I won't try reading minds. But you're going to have to come clean with me on what you're really up to."

The wizened sorcerer brings his left hand to his mouth and grins at Specter, giving her a long silent look ...

" ... then, I must reveal there is the possibility of failure here. Magic is always often unpredictable work, especially this particular rite ... " his expression turns serious as he looks over the group, " ... as Essence will agree, oftentimes working Poly-dimensional Magic with a host of targets is something akin to a spider trying to keep its web intact during a storm. If I were to fail, then we would find ourselves surrounded by our enemies ..."

" ... It can be done, with your help. Because this risk may dishearten some of you, I thought keeping it unspoken the better option. But, now you know ..."
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ysariel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:33 am

Specter
Condition: Normal / VP: 2, Luck: 1

"See, that wasn't so hard, was it?" Specter smiles, picking up her glass. "If any of us were scared of a little risk, we wouldn't be here." She toasts the Shepard lightly. "I'll let you people handle the details of the voodoo. Let's figure out what to do so the government doesn't just drop a nuclear missile on us. If the ritual needs to be performed in D.C., think I can puppet enough politicians to get control of the U.S. military?"
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Ysariel wrote:Specter
"See, that wasn't so hard, was it?" Specter smiles, picking up her glass. "If any of us were scared of a little risk, we wouldn't be here." She toasts the Shepard lightly. "I'll let you people handle the details of the voodoo. Let's figure out what to do so the government doesn't just drop a nuclear missile on us. If the ritual needs to be performed in D.C., think I can puppet enough politicians to get control of the U.S. military?"

" The least of our worries, my dear Specter. Ovis Aries has their role to play, as well. No, your only concern should be the super-powered AEGIS agents, and the other 'vigilantes' ..."
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Belial666 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Essence
VP: ??? -1
Condition: :?:

None for the Old Powers? Essence asks with a frown. A single Archangel or one of the Amesha Spentas could walk over any opposition we could bring up and eat us for breakfast. Yes, such a being manifesting on the physical world would be about as bad as a small nuclear exchange - a certain Book warns about their right foot boiling the sea and the left burning the earth - but if they're going to lose this version of this world for the foreseeable future anyway... You get the idea Essence speaks from experience. Somewhere, somehow, she came up against celestial interference... and that experience must not have been fun. The One Power has influence in all worlds, in all realities. She continues. I for one, don't want to get the attention of one of its main Agents. For some reason, they haven't interfered much for the past two millennia but that may change.
Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:53 pm

Belial666 wrote:Essence
None for the Old Powers? Essence asks with a frown. A single Archangel or one of the Amesha Spentas could walk over any opposition we could bring up and eat us for breakfast. Yes, such a being manifesting on the physical world would be about as bad as a small nuclear exchange - a certain Book warns about their right foot boiling the sea and the left burning the earth - but if they're going to lose this version of this world for the foreseeable future anyway... You get the idea Essence speaks from experience. Somewhere, somehow, she came up against celestial interference... and that experience must not have been fun. The One Power has influence in all worlds, in all realities. She continues. I for one, don't want to get the attention of one of its main Agents. For some reason, they haven't interfered much for the past two millennia but that may change.

The Shepherd turns to face Essence, giving her a dour look,

" Seraph ... indirectly brought to this planet by Oracle's meddling. Neither of them can be allowed any opportunity to disturb my work. All our foes have great power, but also weaknesses to be exploited, if we mean to succeed ..."
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby dreamking89 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Cheshire Cat
VP: 5

Cheshire Cat found himself between a rock and a hard place, the biggest rock and the hardest place he had ever been in his career as a thief. Shepard had promised the destruction of his enemies, but Cheshire never really thought of them as enemies. At the very worst, they were acquaintances playing against each other in a dangerous, elaborate game of chess. Now this Shepard individual was threatening to flip over the game board and declare himself the winner, and now there was just as big a chance of that flip killing Cheshire as there is killing the Vangard. I don't play the game to win, I play to have fun...

On the other hand, an AEGIS agent had been sent after Cheshire Cat's little team, even worse a magical one. Cheshire didn't no much about his powers, but he knew they were magical in nature. And being turned over towards Oracle, one of the most powerful magic users on planet Earth, could spell trouble for his future. She could manage to take away his powers, or worse. He wasn't crazy about this mysterious old man's (at least he thought he was a man) plan, but his only option was to play along for now.

"Sounds like a plan, Shep." Cheshire Cat says, his wide grin returning to his face. "Where do we start?" As he walked by, he shot a look at the Woodsman. He hadn't really been properly introduced to the little green man, but he was hoping this look would tell him that Cheshire didn't like the Shepard's plan anymore than he did.

I'm not sure what Jack would have to roll to 'give such a look' to Jack. Insight again?
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 pm

The Shepherd:

" We begin at the tip of the spear, Cheshire Cat! " His tone is sharp and direct, " I will reveal it soon to you ..."

Looking across at Eidolon, the Shepherd strokes his chin,

" Will you require assistants for your craftworks ? "
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Prof Weird » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Lithos
VP : 2
Condition : silent once more

Petra listened carefully to what was going on around her with little reaction - a habit she'd picked up ages ago.

"It's a good thing someone important asked the same questions I did; otherwise, I'd never find out anything at all !" she groused to herself as she listened to Sheperd and - 'Spectre', wasn't it ? - converse. Given the skimpy outfit, Petra figured the Asian woman was either a mystic, a psychic or a blaster of some sort; she didn't have the look of someone that fights up close very often.

"Ovis Aries has a part to play ? Understatement ! Keeping the mundane forces off our backs for the main battle may improve the odds.
Maintaining the 'borders' between us afterwards ? Good luck with that ! We're villains ! And no villain worth their salt would EVER settle for a share of the world - THEY'D WANT IT ALL !

Hmmm - moving to one of those other worlds beyond this one is sounding better by the minute !
she mused, "I REALLY don't look forward to getting caught in an eight or nine way crossfire !"

Then Essence brought up some good points.

"So the spell hasn't actually been used yet !" she continued silently to herself, "So either it works, and we get a world free of heroes.

Or something goes wrong, and who knows what's going to happen.

Meh - run of the mill stuff for the average metahuman."
Petra noted dismissively.
batlh ta'nISlu' net ta' - "One does what one must do. Honorably"
Prof Weird
Champion
Champion

Postby RedBstrd » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Eidolon
VP 2, Luck 1
Condition: Normal

"No, I will not need any help in the workshop. I do have a plan, though, which would require the assistance of Ice and Ripsaw, particularly if Jack is no longer interested in slaughter." The villain gives a questioning glance to the spirit of vengeance. "Ice should spread the word that he's looking to gather a group of heroes, vigilantes, and villains to hunt us down. With any luck, all those who wish us the most harm would be together in one place. Ideally, he'd get the Stranger on board so that we can learn how he tracked us down. The Stranger is also John Doe if that makes him easier to find. Regardless of the lineup, Ice's rivalry with Cheshire and Ripsaw's enmity with me would help sell the deception. Once Ice has the group gathered, we would ambush them and use your Ovis Aries to help remove the greatest threat to us aside from Vanguard." Stating the obvious, Eidolon adds: "Since everyone will expect us to be hiding out after such a high profile job, no one will expect that they are walking into a trap." Eidolon fails to add the point that goes through his head: ... and if they do suspect the trap before it's too late, all we risk is Ice and Ripsaw...
RedBstrd
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:57 pm

RedBstrd wrote:Eidolon
"No, I will not need any help in the workshop. I do have a plan, though, which would require the assistance of Ice and Ripsaw, particularly if Jack is no longer interested in slaughter." The villain gives a questioning glance to the spirit of vengeance. "Ice should spread the word that he's looking to gather a group of heroes, vigilantes, and villains to hunt us down. With any luck, all those who wish us the most harm would be together in one place. Ideally, he'd get the Stranger on board so that we can learn how he tracked us down. The Stranger is also John Doe if that makes him easier to find. Regardless of the lineup, Ice's rivalry with Cheshire and Ripsaw's enmity with me would help sell the deception. Once Ice has the group gathered, we would ambush them and use your Ovis Aries to help remove the greatest threat to us aside from Vanguard." Stating the obvious, Eidolon adds: "Since everyone will expect us to be hiding out after such a high profile job, no one will expect that they are walking into a trap." Eidolon fails to add the point that goes through his head: ... and if they do suspect the trap before it's too late, all we risk is Ice and Ripsaw...

Ice retorts, " Well, number one: our host here is calling the shots, not some half-a*** wannabe bank-robbers. Point number two - "

The Shepherd raises his hand to Ice, who falls silent, then the enigmatic mage speaks, " Now, behold ..." and the Great Room turns completely dark as the grave, then - an immense, 500'-tall structure appears roughly fifty feet in front of the group;

" ... the Washington Monument. At roughly 90,000 tons and capped by its special aluminum pyramid, the obelisk will serve as the perfect anchor for the tremendous force needed to channel 'The Eye of Baphomet' ! The ancient God-Kings Odin & Zeus both wielded spears of terrible might - they struck as lightning falling from a storm and never missed their mark. The spear is one of Mankind's oldest and most-dread weapons, revered by nearly-forgotten Chinese culture as 'The King of Weapons' ... "

" ... with this giant 'king', we will strike down our nemesis! Right now, Vanguard and AEGIS are in Freedom City, assisting local emergency services. They also marshal their forces in preparation of my coming, but we will have a temporary advantage since none of them will know where we mean to take our stance. "
The room returns to normal as the illusion fades and the Shepherd faces the group,

" ... positioning a small team elsewhere to distract our foes could work, but I was thinking a more direct initiative ... what is on your minds ? "

Ice moves closer to the enchanter, " I like staying together, but let's see what the ladies think ...! " The chilling hoodlum looks at Specter and Willow ....

Ripsaw cuts in, the sound of metallic rubbing metal echoes across the room as the terrorist flexes his arms, " Why should we care what they think ? They're 소* ! We can only depend on ourselves, as men and I agree with Ice - staying together seems better ...."

PCs can speak/act/attempt Interactive skills/ect. - Ripsaw's Korean means ' cows ', to those who understand - also, PCs may notice Jack the Woodsman has vanished!
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Prof Weird » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Lithos
VP : 2
Condition : seriously ?

Petra didn't know what Ripsaw said, but from the context and tone, she figured it was either insulting or demeaning.

"You're not very bright, are you ?" she asked the terrorist rhetorically as the toxic chemicals in her blood began to work, causing her eyes to glow bright red as her skin darkened and took on a glassy sheen, "You agree with Ice that the group should stay together - yet you insult and wish to exclude half of it ?" she continued as she reached her full empowered height of eleven foot four.

"We have just as much right to be here as you do." she began, glowering down at him, "We are not here to be decorations or entertainment - we have powers and talents that you lack.

Are you implying that Sheperd made a mistake inviting us ?"
she inquired of Ripsaw, daring him to answer, "Or do you seriously 'think' that you can pull of a job THIS epic and major with only half of the available talent ?

And you may wish to consider who you are insulting."
she continued, "Willow could probably turn you into a tree with just a thought. Essence could - well, I'd rather not think about what she could do. I've never met Spectre before, but I'd guess from her talking of turning politicians into puppets that she's a psychic, and could turn your brain into soup.

And me ? I could probably lift the Washington Monument !

So check the attitude !"
Lithos snapped at him, before thinking for a bit before asking Sheperd a question.

"Magic is the only thing that could stop this ritual, right ? So is there anyplace where the heroic mages could huddle together to pool their powers to match yours ?
We could stomp them out before they had a chance to interfere ! Is that direct enough ?"
batlh ta'nISlu' net ta' - "One does what one must do. Honorably"
Prof Weird
Champion
Champion

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:31 pm

The Shepherd cuts in,

" Save that enthusiasm for your true enemy, Lithos ... ", the elderly villain points to him temple, "... control the heart of your power ... never let it control you. " He turns to scowl at Ripsaw, who backs away from Lithos ...

Ice Thompson moves towards Lithos, " He didn't mean it. You know Asians: all that fish & rice makes 'em crazy! This isn't about him - it's about what you want ... "

Lithos really likes what Ice is saying ...
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room