3e Fantasy (OOC, Cancelled)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Atomickat
Bystander
Bystander

Re: 3e Fantasy (recruiting)

Post by Atomickat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Florenya the Wondermaker
PL 8, 130 PP

Concept: All-round support character, strategist

Quote: "I, personally, am not one to mourn over the lost wonders of the past. Rather, I would forge the future, and carry the light of innovation to all the world."

Strength 0, Stamina 3, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting -1, Insight 0, Intellect 7, Awareness 0, Presence 2
Total - 11 (22 points)

Defenses:
Dodge 8 (8 base)
Fortitude 5 (3 Stamina + 2 Device)
Will: 7 (3 base + 4 Device)
Parry: 10 (3 base - 1 Fighting + 8 Device)
Toughness: 6 (3 Stamina + 3 Device)
Total - 14 points

Advantages: Accessment, Artificer, Attractive 2, Benefit 3 (Wealth - Millionaire), Connected, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 5, Ritualist, Second Chance: Disarm, Second Chance: Expertise (Magic), Second Chance: Grab, Second Chance: Mind Control, Teamwork, Ultimate Effort: Expertise (Magic) - 18 points + Enhanced Traits

Skills: Deception 10 (12), Expertise: Magic 11 (18), Expertise: Merchant 8 (15), Expertise: Engineering 3 (10), Insight 15, Investigation 5 (12), Languages 3 (Dwarven, Gnomish, Merchant's Tongue), Persuasion 11 (13), Ranged Combat (Ring of the Ram) 6, Technology 11 (18), Treatment 3 (10) - 92 ranks (23 points)

Powers (53 points):

Attunement to Magic - Senses 1 (Awareness: Magic, Mental) - 1 point

Enchanter's Instincts - Comprehend 2 (Objects; Broad Type: Magical Items) - 2 points

Eternal Wand of Construction - (Aura: Strong Transmutation, Moderate Conjuration) This elaborate platinum and diamond wand was built by Florenya to assist with her crafting. It acts like a channel for her abilities, shaping and magnifying her creative power. As an extension of her talents, it works off her own knowledge of crafting; it's potential cannot exceed hers. Easily Removable Device, 10 total points (13 base + 3 array - 6 easily removable)
.. Builder's Hand: Element Control 8 (Earth, 6 tons), Increased Duration: Continuous [4 ranks only, 800 lbs], Precise, Distracting
.... Materialize: Create 5 (30 cft), Distracting, Continuous, Precise, Subtle, Innate
.... Reconstruct: Healing 6 (Affects Only Objects), Distracting, Restorative [4 ranks only], Persistent, Stabilize, Feature: Also affects constructs
.... Transmute: Transform 4 (Solids into Solids), 3 ranks (6 lbs), Distracting, Continuous, Precise

Genius Intelligence - Quickness 2 (Perform routine tasks in -2 time ranks, Limited to Mental Tasks) - 1 point

Ring of the Ram: (Aura: Strong Evocation, Force) Worn next to the Strange Ring, this semi-amorphous, shimmering silvery ring constantly churns with raw energy. With a command, raw force can be shaped into powerful magical constructs or unleashed in a devastating attack. Removable Device, 17 base + 3 array - 4 removable - 16 points
Bigby's Resourceful Hands: Summon 8, Active, Variable Type (Force Constructs), Mental Link, Distracting, Unreliable (5 uses)
Forceful Onslaught: Move Object 8 (6 tons), Damaging, Accurate, Concentration
Kinetic Acceleration: Move Object 1 (100 lbs), Subtle, Perception, Throwing Mastery 8, Indirect 4, Precise
Repulsion: Move Object 8, Limited Direction (Repulsion), Reduced Range (Close), Area Burst, Selective

Greater Ring of Combat Reflex: (Aura: Strong Divination) This bulky adamantine ring is emblazoned with two crossed ruby swords, with a diamond and topaz "eye" between them. Two faintly white bands circle the ring; on closer inspection, they appear to be fine dwarven runes. This ring infuses it's wearer with the knowledge of the finest Defenders and a combat instinct that borders on the supernatural.
Removable, 8 PP
Enhanced Trait 10: Parry +8 (+10), Enhanced Advantage: Second Chance: Disarm, Grab - 8 points

Top of the Unyielding: (Aura: Strong Abjuration) Florenya's iconic top is more then a symbol; it is a powerful protective item. Incorporating the adaptable enchantments of a Performer's Top with the psionic shielding of a Golden Circlet and the protective enchantments of a greater Ring of Protection, the final result is a slightly erratic, but strongly protective enchantment.
Removable, 8 PP
Enhanced Trait 10: Will +4 (+7), Fortitude +2 (+5), Toughness +3 (+6), Advantages: Second Chance: Mind Control - 8 points

Strange Ring: This ring flickers in and out of sight; occasionally a visage of an island, floating in mists, appears, and vanishes. Voices in an unknown language whisper just outside of perception. An image of... someone, or something, can rarely be seen, but when noticed, fades away.
Enhanced Trait 2: Luck 2 (Limited: Defense Checks)
Immunity 1: Aging
Movement 1: Dimensional (Home Dimension <---> Ethereal Pocket, one dimension; 100 lbs of equipment; Affects Others; Affects Objects)
Total - 7 points

Player's Notes - Despite the description, this is not a device, just a Power described as a ring.

Equipment: Basic Adventurer Gear 1, Dowsing Rod [Senses: Senses 2, Acute: Magical Awareness, Analytical: Magical Awareness], Ethereal Pocket, Healer's Kit 1

Offense
Initiative +0
Builder's Hand: Move Object 8 (DC 18)
Forceful Onslaught: Move Object 8, +8 (DC 23)
Grab, -1 (DC Spec 10)
Kinetic Acceleration: Move Object 1 (DC 18)
Repulsion: Burst Area Move Object 8 (DC 18)
Throw, +0 (DC 15)
Transmute: Transform 4, -1 (DC Dog 13)
Unarmed, -1 (DC 15)

Ethereal Pocket - PL 8

Toughness 6, Huge Size

Features: Communications, Concealed 3, Defense System, Dimensional Portal, Infirmary, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Sealed, Security System 3, Temporal Limbo 2, Workshop

Power Points:
Abilities 2 + Powers 0 + Advantages 0 + Features 15 + Skills 0 + Defenses 4 + Equipment 0 + Weapons and Armor 0 = 21 points

Abilities 22 + Defenses 14 + Advantages 18 + Skills 23 + Powers 53 = 130 PP

Motivations:
Motivation: Curiosity - "This world is full of wonders, and I intend to witness them all." Every time Florenya finds a answer to something, five more questions come up. She wouldn't have it any other way. What hidden magics and lost devices lurk in the shadows, waiting to be found? Just who lead her to the Ethereal Pocket, and why? How can the concepts of today become the wonders of tomorrow?

Motivation: Greed - "Ooooh, shiny!" Then again, lots of gold is always welcome. While Florenya believes in honesty with other people (even if just for the sake of a good reputation), she is quick to go after that chest bursting with gold or an enormously valuable gem just suspiciously sitting there. She is similarly greedy for hidden knowledge and rare artifacts. Her avarice can easily overcome her common sense.

Motivation: Doing Good - "Not all deeds are dramatic, but they are heroic nonetheless." Underneath her avarice though, is a sincere desire to help others. Once impoverished herself, Florenya will go out of her way to help others in need.

Complications:
Enemy ("Masters of Shadow"): ""Masters of Shadow"? Come on, could they be any less original?" The self-proclaimed "Masters of Shadow" were the sworn enemies of the Charging Swords. Making their home on the Shadow Plane, this oligarchy of priests, shadows, and vampires carved out a dominion through slave labor, forbidden knowledge, and dark alliances. Virtually untraceable, they were able to spread their influence far and wide, until an "interrogated" vampire revealed everything. Before the party fell, they crippled their leadership and destroyed much of their army - but they left a few survivors. Slowly, they rebuilt and bided their time, just waiting for that first sign of weakness...

Enemy (Red Wizards): "Their blood complements their robes quite nicely don't you think?" Florenya has earned some powerful enemies, first among them the Red Wizards of Thay. Having foiled their plans to abduct massive numbers of slaves through Shadow Plane gateways, she suddenly disappeared and was pursumed dead. Now she is back in the Prime Material, thriving. Her growing business in magical items and transportation, in tandem with her idealism and good relations with their enemies, are a slap in the face to the Thayvian enclaves.

Enemy (Former Adventuring Party): "You call yourself lucky, yet you ignore the price. Us." In the chaos of the Shadow Rift, Florenya's party was picked off one by one by undead assassins of shadow. Although she was rescued by an unknown power, the tortured souls of the Charging Swords remain. Their justice has been twisted into vengeance, both for the enemies they used to fight, and for (in their eyes) the foolish girl that lead them into disaster.

Obligation (Unknown) - "Never look a gift horse in the mouth, but know who sent it." When Florenya left the Ethereal Pocket for the first time, a strange ring appeared on her finger, and a promise. She knew then that one day, when she was able, this person or being would have her return the favor.

Responsibility (Artificer-Merchant) - "One day, the people will build great wonders themselves. But not today." To Florenya, being an Artificer is a great duty, sometimes troublesome, but it is also a work of love. Having left her growing business in capable hands, she knows that although she may need to intervene on occasion, she can trust the people she's chosen. Florenya now aims to help other people with her talents directly, whatever by spreading inventions, engineering walls and homes, or instructing the next generation of artificers and enchanters.

Backstory:
"I will conquer evil, not with iron, but with gold."

I believe that the first duty of an adventurer should not be to eradicate threats, but to promote prosperity. I adventure with many questions on my mind, and first among these is this: Can we break this vicious cycle of bloodshed and vengeance? Probably not, but I intend to find out.

I was born in the slums of Baldur's Gate. Riots, screams, hunger, and desperation were the norm there. We struggled just to get bread on the table, let alone think of the future. But my father was an ambitious man, and he stood by his wife's final words: make a better life for me. He taught me his craft early; when I could walk, I was carrying nails and watching him carve wood. He was my hero, and I aspired to be like him in every way, so I started building things in my spare time, with whatever we had. One day, when I was around seven or eight, my Spark manifested.

I remember the exhilirating rush of energy, of magical power flowing into a single act of creation! For the first time, I felt alive. I still remember dad's expressions, so many at once. Joy that his daughter had a great gift, and sadness, knowing we'd have to part ways soon... All he wanted was to take me out of the slums, but we loved each other, and that made the necessary actions all the harder.

Nonetheless, within a year Joseph would apprentice me to a talented, although quite amoral, artificer in the High Hall of Wonders. They called me a "natural", and indeed I took great joy in my lessons and the act of creation, but never did I settle down. I freely admit to being rather the mischevious girl; their prayers bored me, and I vividly remember suggesting that they'd marry their machines if they loved them so much. I pulled more then a few pranks, like arranging for a band of Sharess "entertainers" to arrive on their holiest day. In the purpose of keeping this readable for children, I won't describe some of the "specialized devices" they had for just such an occasion...

Nonetheless, I felt fulfilled. Occasionally I'd send my dad presents, and let him know I was well. I guess a defining moment of my early life was when, finally, I was able to meet my father again. He asked if I found my purpose. Looking around, I understood for the first time that I was just part of a much larger world. I remember that he said that we all do the best we can, with the current knowledge we possess; and if we had a goal in mind, that meant we had the abilities to achieve it. I knew my goal - I wanted to help others, especially the common people often overlooked. I wanted to understand what ailed the world, and help however I could.

Driven by this desire, I left Baldur's Gate almost immediately after my graduation. I wandered the Sword Coast, offering my services where I could. I admit, the adventuring life did not appeal to me at first, although seeing those townspeople smile make it all worthwhile (the gold was nice too!). I would build toys for their children, show off the inventions, but more importantly, I would try to teach the citizens how to make wonders of their own. I would have promising smiths and mages build with me, and when they made something special I would feel proud. In short, I sought to prove to them that they did not need to wait for a hero, but instead that they could build a good life for themselves, and in time protect themselves as well.

Of course, I still held a passion for exploration, and if I could do good in the process, even better. That's how I made the very foolish decision to join the Charging Swords, a party full of fools, but good-hearted fools, who went where angels feared to thread. We brought down the forts of hobgoblin tyrants, inflitrated and eradicated necromantic cults, fought Drow slavemasters and Shadows from planes beyond. We brought the war to the Thayvian enclaves poisoning the cities with illicit goods and slave labor, and slain several of their mighty wizards. But we were all fools. We charged forth into a twisted forest full of mists and shadows, where the boundaries of planes were thin, believing we were delivering a deathblow to the merchants in shadow.

We were mistaken. One by one, we fell. Separated, confused, the assassins struck, flowing through shadows, striking in cold silence. The very plane drank our life away as the shadows of slain slaves pursued us.

I cannot answer why I was saved. Each member of the Charging Swords was special, and most, more experienced then myself. I have no answer, but only that I know in my gut that whoever intervened on my behalf would call on me to return the favor. What I know is that this place felt timeless, and infinitely mallable. Time lost meaning in this ethereal island. Landscapes formed into pecular visages, nightmares became a struggle. And behind it all, as I mastered this place, a curiousity and expectation that flowed from everywhere and nowhere. I got the feeling something was watching me as I shaped aether into libraries and beds, laboratories and kitchens, but whatever it was the compassionate eye of a distant protector or the bemused gaze of one looking down at an ant, remained unclear.

Eventually, I managed to build a way back to my world. I gasped, for I recognized this town! So much has changed. New buildings have risen. A wall surrounded this city. Smiths and wizards were making inventions I made - and quite a few that I didn't recognize. There was a statue in the town center - of one of the smiths I instructed, and not a talented one at that. People didn't seem to recognize me, asking if I was a new wizard in town. I was at once proud, shocked, and confused. How long had I been gone?

People spoke of distant wars, and casually of passing adventurers. Occasionally the Charging Swords came up; their faces were forgotten, their name a synonym for recklessness, agents of horror stories they told their children at night. I realized that this was the price of the clean slate the being offered, that my past deeds would fade into memory.

So I wouldn't be known for what I did in the past. Rather, I would forge the future, and bring the light of innovation to all the world. I began by consolidating my base of operations, expanding it for the task ahead. I began supplying new, exciting goods to a few choice, trustworthy merchants, connecting with crafters and wizards, allying with the best suppliers, slowly expanding my base throughout the country. Of course, the being's gift and my own talents gave me a huge advantage over the competition, which I restrained in the name of sportsmanship. Bah, who am I kidding? I exploited my advantages ruthlessly, assimilating and conquering the competition who couldn't teleport vast numbers of supplies or make rare items from magic.

With wealth and influence on my side, I was able to fulfill the promise I held since the day I left home. One day, I would be on the other side, and help people who were once like me, struggling to survive. I sponsored merchants who would sell practical wares cheaply to the poor, established schools where the people could learn useful abilities in crafting and engineering, helped in the construction of bridges and aqueducts to struggling towns, helped spread useful and exciting inventions far and wide, and helped supply well-intentioned adventurers with tools to fight evil. Of course, everything I did was intended to make profit, and yes, I kept some for myself. I'm a greedy altruist, shameless and proud.

But eventually, the road beckoned again, for there is still so much to learn and so many people to meet. I couldn't be satisfied ruling from an ivory tower all my life. It took considerable time to find diligent and idealistic people that I could trust both to run an expanding business and who cared about the people around them. Once I established the networks of communication and set the grounds for the Portus Project, I knew that I could trust the people I chosen - and be a Mirrorspeech away if they needed me. As I pored over maps of distant lands, I felt an old feeling...

Excitement. Old memories of adventure came rushing back like it was only yesterday. I remembered our crusades against slavers and shadows, dragons and blackguards. Most of all, I liked just being with the people, and seeing them smile. I remember I wanted to explore the cities of Netheril and climb the tallest mountains and discover ancient relics and tomes. But I have another reason. See, I pride myself on my perfect memory. So I make sure never to forget the faces of my enemies, because I know they will never forget me. I keep an ear to the grapevine, listening for any disturbances, of past enemies reawoken. There are rumors, and hopefully only rumors, of moving shadows in the dark and wizards robed in red, of rising armies and terrible tortures. I would dismiss them as the theatrics of someone seeking attention, but for the ominous twisting in my gut.

So I made my preparations. If something happens to me, my legacy will live on and grow. I've seeked out others of similar intentions and spirit, for there is strength in numbers and a unity of good purpose. Now I take the fight to them, wherever they may be.

Whew. That was ridiculously long! I'm never doing that again >_> If you actually read the whole bloody thing, congrats! here's a cookie :D
Last edited by Atomickat on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 27 times in total.

Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Moira » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:49 pm

EPIC wrote:Hmm.... Who to play.. The crusader cleric... My bard from Mark's game... Something new... Choices choices.
Indeed ;)
XeroKhan wrote:I have an idea for an "Undead" warrior. Basically, a curse was placed on the warrior to make him not only undead, but immortal as well. Would this fit?
As long as you're not a walking corpse, I'm fine with it. I do have the same question as EPIC though. Aren't undead immortal?
Aerlock wrote:This sounds interesting. Just to clarify, you're looking for something like a more traditional fantasy game with wizards/fighters/rogues/etc. and not a supers-in-fantasyland style game correct?

If so, I have a Lizardfolk Druid I submitted to an old game of yours sitting around waiting to be put to use. It should be fairly easy to convert him to 3e and up his PL to 8. If you think he'll be a good fit I'll do the write up and post him here.

- Aerlock
Got no problems with that.
RedBeardJim wrote:Is there a specific set of fantasy-related rules that folks are going from, or are we kind of reskinning the existing powers and such?
I'm using D&D as a template, but I'm not absolutely 100% making your characters conform to D&D. Eberron? Forgotten Realms? Fine with it. Exalted? Dark Ages World of Darkness? That's cool. Magic the Gathering? World of Warcraft? Sure. I'm flexible as this setting is generic and you can make things up as you go (depending on approval, see 'no walking corpses' above :))
Sriseru wrote:By the way Moira, since we're veteran adventurers, do we the PCs know each other prior to the game or is the party formed at the beginning of the game?
That will be up to you. I will say that you have at least one or two good stories the bards sing about you. So if you do not know each other personally, your reputation will precede you.

Character audits are up next!
RIP Angel 1989-2011

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Equipment is defined as things that are reasonably available to anyone in a given setting. A lot of that stuff doesn't seem to fit the bill. Additionally, equipment can have any number of things happen to it at the GMs whim with nothing for your troubles, which is a bad thing really to have most of your build's effectiveness dumped into.

But mostly that is a TON of equipment, and starting off with something called a 'custom crossbow' kinda stands out as something should probably be device.

Moira may feel delifferently, but from experience, massive equipment loadouts of customized gear can unbalance a game due to the massive cost break given if the GM isn't utilizing their perrogative to separate said equioment user from their equipment.

Atomickat
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Atomickat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:57 pm

^^ Aye :) She's an artificer. Really inventive and good with building stuff.

^ Man do i feel dumb :( Devices are not brought with equipment scores? I'll adapt as neccessary of course, so can you clear this up for me: Stuff brought under "equipment" is mostly mundane, right?

Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Moira » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Atomickat wrote:^^ Aye :) She's an artificer. Really inventive and good with building stuff.

^ Man do i feel dumb :( Devices are not brought with equipment scores? I'll adapt as neccessary of course, so can you clear this up for me: Stuff brought under "equipment" is mostly mundane, right?
I'll accept a little leeway on custom equipment, just don't go hogwild on it. We'll go with 1-2 points of customization. And the customs must be mundane, not magical.

EDIT: Also, yeah, equipment is mundane. Devices are magical.
RIP Angel 1989-2011

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Mostly. You can get away with some low impact magical items, maybe a reltively 'plain' magic weapon or armor where the magic is mainly cosmetic or flavor.

Bigger stuff should be done as devices, which is done by applying Removeable or Easily Removeable dependong orln whether something can be removed from the character with a disarm check, or whether you must be helpless for the device to be removed.

So simple rule of thumb: hand held things like weapons are easily removeable, worn things or things you have lots of would be regular removeable.

You don't get as big a cost redcution of course either... Only 1 per 5 full pp i the combined cost of the device's powers (so say your crossbow.. Take the base array cost plus the points used for all the alternate effects, divide by five and drop the remainder. That is how many points you get back. For easily removable, so the same thing, but multiply the result by 2. (This may not he how everyone does it, but it's the least complicated way I know how to explain it easily and is how I calculate devices myself)

Edit: of course, Moira trumps anything I say. So if she says equipment can be non magocal only, then that's how it is. I'd generally allow low impact stuff, or something magical for flavor only, but it's her call in the end.

Atomickat
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Atomickat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Heh, guess I got carried away :lol: Thanks for clearing this up. On this note, temporary items created through Artificer or Inventor, are they're considered devices (easily removable or removable) as well? Is there a cap on what can be made at once, like character level, skills, or simply one at a time?
Last edited by Atomickat on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Moira » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Atomickat wrote:Heh, guess I got carried away :lol: Thanks for clearing this up. I'll make the changes.
Also, a quick scan of your character. You might want to check the first post for houserules on Arrays and Presence :)
RIP Angel 1989-2011

Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Moira » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:01 pm

EPIC wrote:Edit: of course, Moira trumps anything I say. So if she says equipment can be non magocal only, then that's how it is. I'd generally allow low impact stuff, or something magical for flavor only, but it's her call in the end.
My rules are not set in stone. I can be persuaded with good reason ;) What do you mean by "low impact"?
Atomickat wrote:Heh, guess I got carried away :lol: Thanks for clearing this up. On this note, temporary items created through Artificer or Inventor, are they're considered devices (easily removable or removable) as well? Is there a cap on what can be made at once, like character level, skills, or simply one at a time?
What are you aiming for with both Advantages? I mean what will you make with Artificer and what will you make with Inventor? Also, yes, unless its a power/advantage that allows you to ignore cap (like Favored Enemy/Environment or Feature) you must stick within the rules of caps.
RIP Angel 1989-2011

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:14 pm

By low impact, I mean things that are general situational or something you'll hardly ever really notice.

Like of Ashurei's build from Mark's game, he has a Ring of Sustinance that gives him Immunity 1 to starvation and thirst. You would hardly ever notice it, so it's impact on the game at large is very low.

A weapon that is simply described as say a +1 long sword is really no different than a regular sword except it's damage carries the magic descriptor as well as slashing and physical. It's mostly cosmetic, but low impact because how often will thay descriptor actually make a difference? Or a magic +1 suit of plate armor?

Low impact means they are hardly more than flavor or details about an otherwise normal bit of equipment.

Now if that +1 sword could also fire magic beams, we're in device territory.

Atomickat
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Atomickat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:23 pm

I'm thinking of a character who's equally fascinated by science and magic. When she creates stuff improvised from anything around, or improves on existing technology, she's using invention. She uses artificer for imbuing items with magic, and researching magical enchantments. I'll let you know when I use either, of course, but as a general rule, if it's Equipment, I'm using Invention, and if it's a Device, Artificer.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Er.. No. Invention is technology, Artificer is magic. Mechanically they do the exact same thing, just differently.

My advice though, don't shoot for a character whose entire schtick is "Obstical? I can built something to get us past it without dealing with it". It is really uninspired and unfair to the GM. Not to mention "bag of tricks" type characters can easily step on everyone's toes if you're not careful.

I'd focus less on being able to artifice anything you could ever need on the spot (I am strongly against the use of Quickness in regards to Inventor and similar advantages) and have some gimmicky neat stuff sta dard on your character and still have the ability to do artificing when you need to.

Anomalocaris
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Anomalocaris » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:39 pm

A question, Moira. In your house rule for magic power arrays, you stipulate that each spell in an array must follow a specific theme. I note that all of your example themes are drawn from the D&D schools of magic. Would you prefer that prospective players limit themselves to those schools of magic as themes, or is it okay to create our own "schools" of magic? For example, could an array be defined as "pyromancy" (fire magic) or "psychomancy" (soul magic)?

* Edit: Changed a period to a question mark where appropriate
Last edited by Anomalocaris on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I always thought of myself as more of a proto-arthropod, but apparently...

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EPIC » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Well, Pyromancy would be evocation in any case. :P

Soul... Well, depends on the intended effects, but quite potentially necromancy as it does deal in that sort of thing.

Curiously, are you going for something inspired by Dark Souls by any chance? The specific question regarding fire and soul magic made me think of that.

Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Moira » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Plan B wrote:Image
Hothgar Kordson
Why is the Damage of your Thunderbolt Spear Innate? The only way that would make sense is if the spear damage was magical. You don't need it on the mundane part :)

How are you getting 20 points out of Immunity to Bludgeoning, Piercing and Slashing? Way I see it is: Immunity 80 (Toughness; Flaws: Half-Effect, Limited [Physical Attacks]) 27pp.

I'm not sure if Grimaw's Firebreath Limit is really a limit. A quirk at best.
RIP Angel 1989-2011