New Beginnings: The MMO 3E(Pause)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: New Beginnings: The MMO (Recruiting) 3E

Postby Plan B » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:38 pm

Wait we can submit more than one character?

Because if so i'm throwing my sack-master rogue. (daggers are lame, sack of loot is best rogue weapon)
    Insert witty comment here.

Atomickat
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Atomickat » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Hound wrote:I'm afraid I can not allow this ability. Not too sure what we can replace it with though to be honest.

Understandable. I'll be keeping those six points as a placeholder until I design another "rage" ability.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:48 pm

Plan B wrote:Wait we can submit more than one character?

Because if so i'm throwing my sack-master rogue. (daggers are lame, sack of loot is best rogue weapon)

You can apparently put down two character concepts and stuff and build two apps, but when Hound closes recruitment, you pick the one you like best. Or that's what I am inferring (I didn't pay too much attention to that bit), I dunno, cuz I'm happy working on my Air Mage. Just need a nice backstory...

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:52 pm

How the game will work:

Parties:
Offer automatic immunity to allies damaging abilities. So if Mage A creates a fire ball that will do an AOE effect, the Tank in the thick of things will be unaffected.

A Druid using an AOE heal will automatically gain Selective, which automatically effects all party members and not effect any other players or enemies.

All characters will be ageless by default, how you look now is how you will look no matter how long you play the game

All characters who die will "explode" in a shower of light, a "spirit flame" will remain at their location for 1 minute (about how long most combat lasts)

As a spirit flame you can see/hear everything but can not move. During this time healers can cast a revive on the flame to bring a player back to life. Failing to do so, the flame will go out, and players will return to the last Major city visited.

The world, as previously mentioned looks a lot like our own, except all the cities are heavily overgrown with plants, looking like its been about 100 years since the cities were last used.

New cities, that look like old medieval castles have been made, and are where most people will exist.

The world will work under the Half Gaia system. meaning it's have the size of earth. 100 Kilometers in the real world equal 50 kilometers in game.

Traveling to far away cities will of course be dangerous, horses and other summon-able mounts, which will be gained in game through quests, will allow for swifter/consistent travel. This of course leads to some serious danger while traveling.

If you travel for 3 days, and are now only hours away from the next town, but die before you reach it, you will be sent back to your starting point.

Another point of course, is that while dying may mean you don't die in real life, it does mean you can't escape the game either, you're trapped here.

This little tidbit of information will not be available in game for a while, so most people will be extremely scared, thinking they may die forever if their hp hit's 0. Until the first person in each area dies and comes back, this will be a serious fear for people.

Cities will be a No PvP zone, attempting to PvP will summon Guards who I guarantee you can not beat. You will be sent to an in game jail for 24 hours, which is quite boring. Each repeated offense increases the length of time spent in jail by a factor of 2.

How the HUD works...

The game automatically focuses on what ever you are directly looking at, which will prompt it to automatically scan and deliver certain points of information.

If you are a herbalist for example and focus your eyes on a plant, the game will automatically scan the plan and a semi transparent screen that only you can see will appear. it will tell you the name, attributes, level required to harvest, etc... etc...

All players will have a small green triangle over their head. If the triangle is orange, it means they have started initiated combat against another player with in a week. If it turns red, it means not only did they initiate combat, but they killed a player as well.

Defending yourself, and as a result killing a player will not change your color. This of course means their may or may not be loop holes for pkers

Since this game works with bruises instead of HP, we will assume, that 1 bruise equals about 10% of a players HP for flavor reasons.

For the next information, remember that "Focus" will tell you a decent amount of information:
It is a free action to focus on a single player, a move action to focus and examine 2 to 3 players, and a standard action to focus on 4 to 6 players. 6 being a party's maximum size. Remember that this just means you are spending time to examine 1, then move to the next, then move to the next. You don't have 6 "focus windows" up at once.

When focusing on a party member you can learn most anything. Health, condition, Skill list, Powers list, etc...

When focusing on an enemy, you only can get their name, and their condition.

If you focus on Target A, you can remain focused on A as a "sustained effect" But if you focus too much on someone else, you may not notice they just put your healer to sleep, as with video games, often people "sleep" standing up, still holding their weapon. This is why, typically someone like the healer, or a range DPS is also the "strategist" who keeps an eye on the whole team. Since they rarely have to move, they can shout out commands/formations/problems

As a side note, Enchanters, who have a weak offensive ability, but a high debuff/buff ability, have Feature "Multi focus" which will allow them to focus on two targets rather than just 1 for a free action.

Skills and Powers are used automatically, your body "moves on its own" when you think and try and do something.

Eating must be done once per day. Ingredients or basic foods, like Fruits will work, but do not offer a buff. A cook who prepares a meal will often supply a buff. Perhaps offering the entire team Regen 1, or a temporary +1 to all non-combat rolls for example, based on their skill level.

Sleeping: even in game players grow tired. Inns are the easiest place to go and sleep. Inns are PVP free, offer privacy, and cost a minimal amount of gold

Tents can be purchased, but are rather expensive. Inside a tent will allow players to not be noticed by roaming monsters, but players will notice the tent, and they can of course "camp" the site and when you exit the tent, they can attack you with out warning.

Basic sleeping quarters offer nothing, but going to expensive inns or spas can offer bonuses like cooking can.

A free option is to take turns sleeping with a look out in the open world.

Other notes about the HUD, obviously each person's HUD is invisible. You can examine almost all basic windows expected to be found in a MMO, including a friends list, which all selected players will automatically be on, as it was transferred from the previous normal game "World At War" or "Waw"

Okay... I think I hit all the major points... if I forgot something, or something wasn't mentioned let me know!

Please ask questions!
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Plan B wrote:Wait we can submit more than one character?

Ya, I'm allowing up to two submissions during the recruitment phase. Think of it like playing with the options in character creator.

When I close submissions, I will give 24 hours to anyone who made 2 characters, to select which one they want to apply with.

This gives players the chance to A: see different ways people make things, and maybe re-use some ideas. After all it's a game. If Player A is a Paladin and makes a really cool taunt ability, and Player B makes a duel wielding warrior who also tanks, then he may use Player A's taunt ability.

I will not be selecting people based of roles.

If i end up with a party of 3 Tanks, and 3 DPS and no healers because they were the best ones submitted, so be it.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:10 pm

So, while rhe characters may not have met in game, us player's know each other by our username handles from previous games? So, would we all be able to Friend chat each other right off he bat, or will we need to find each other in game world to establish the Friend connection? Cuz it may be counterproductive for the intro if we are able to find each other automatically (and gives Xero a chance to RP avoiding us so we don't figure out his goof-up :mrgreen: ).

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:31 pm

kenmadragon wrote:So, while rhe characters may not have met in game, us player's know each other by our username handles from previous games? So, would we all be able to Friend chat each other right off he bat, or will we need to find each other in game world to establish the Friend connection? Cuz it may be counterproductive for the intro if we are able to find each other automatically (and gives Xero a chance to RP avoiding us so we don't figure out his goof-up :mrgreen: ).

That is so true and can be so hilarious. Of course, the PCs will figure things out EVENTUALLY, but it will still be funny.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:49 pm

In which case you can change the complication a while after that happens to suit us constantly giving him - sorry, her- a hard time about it. :twisted:

Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Last edited by Harry Ham Bone on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Give your zombies Interpose... Trust me, you will need your zombies to be toughness focused and have enough of them to spam Interpose... Because it's common MMO practice to "gank the caster"... Especially the one summoning monsters... Toughness shifted zombie Interpose, HHB. Trust me...

Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:17 pm

I made wraiths.

By the way, before I post, what's Interpose?

Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Screw it, I'm posting!

WRAITH MINION
PL: 5

Abilities: -24pts
STR: 4 AGL: -1 FGT: 0 AWE: 1
STA: - DEX: -1 INT: - PRS: -

Defenses: 7pts
Dodge: 3
Parry: 3
Fortitude: Immune
Toughness: 7
Will: Immune

Skills: 3pts
Close Combat (Unarmed) 6 (+6)

Advantages: 2pts
Improved Initiative 2

Powers/Devices: 81pts
Undead (Immunity 30 [Fortitude Effects], Protection 7) * 37pts
Shadow Body (Insubstantial 4, Innate, Permanent, Senses 2 [Darkvision]) * 23pts
Spectral Float (Flight 4, Subtle 2, Continuous) * 14pts
Wretched Wail (Affliction 5 [vulnerable, prone, incapacitated], Perception Area [hearing]) * 10pts

Offense
Unarmed +6: Close Damage 4
Wretched Wail: Affliction 5 (vulnerable, prone, incapacitated), Perception Area (hearing)
Initiative: +7

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:39 pm

Actually, wouldn't that be the sacrifice flat +1 on the summon?

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:40 pm

It's an Advantage, meaning it costs only one point, and is thus really cheap for a really good ability.
From the SRD wrote:INTERPOSE (GENERAL)
Once per round, when an ally within range of your normal movement is hit by an attack, you can choose to place yourself between the attacker and your ally as a reaction, making you the target of the attack instead. The attack hits you rather than your ally, and you suffer the effects normally. You cannot use this advantage against area effects or perception range attacks, only those requiring an attack check.

Basically, someone(or something in your case) can put themselves in front of harm's way, protecting you from the brunt of an attack, so long as they are within normal movement range of you. So, given that you are likely to have really low toughness (shift your points from Will which brought you over PL caps to Toughness, and get a max of Toughness 2 considering tradeoff caps), you will probably go down very very easily. But! If your undead are of high Toughness (ie. more likely to resist damage), and have Interpose, you can have 1 or 2 hang around and Interpose for you, as well as run general interference for you to hit that Withering Curse. This of course is predicated on the idea that your zombies are completely loyal, and fanatically so as to throw themselves in harm's way to shield you.

If your undead aren't that loyal or willing to lay down their lives for you, you could always force them to do so, generally by appling the Sacrifice modifier to the Summon power for 1 Power Point. Sacrifice goes like so:
From the SRD wrote:Sacrifice: When you are hit with an effect requiring a resistance check, you can spend a victory point to shift it to one of your minions instead. The minion must be within range of the effect and a viable target. Needless to say, this is not a particularly heroic ability. In fact, the GM may wish to restrict it to villains or non-player characters (in which case a hero earns a victory point when a villain uses this extra to avoid an effect by sacrificing a minion). Flat +1 point.

It's cheaper to have your Summoned Minions use Interpose, but given how Minions start out with the "helpful attitude and does its best to aid you and obey your commands" type deal, it's specious as to whether it will lay down it's life for you. In which case Sacrifice may be a nice backup plan, though it does cost Hero Points.

I also suggest the Mental Link extra (again, 1 Power Point to the cost of the Summon power) which allows you to communicate with the summoned minions and give them orders telepathically (which I think is a free action to command instead of the usual move action given that it is telepathic and instantaneous).

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Kalen De'lance Nightrose

Postby Shadow13 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Kalen De'lance Nightrose
Class: Rogue duelist spec
Subclass: Gambler
Race: Half-Elf
Height 5'10
Weight 165 lbs
Hair Color Brown
Eye Color Green
Age Game age is 17 Real Life he is 23
Sex Male

Notes on appearance: Scar above his left eye, always has a 5 o'clock shadow

Personality Note
Kalen is a wolf. He is a cunning hunter as he collects his contracts. Kalen with his wolf mentality works well in a group. He is protective of the group he runs with.

Trade offs: -1 toughness/+1 parry&dodge
*3 ranks in skill per PP
Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 3, Dexterity 0, Fighting 6, Intellect 0, Awareness 1, Presence 1

Advantages
Rogue Talents
*Contacts (bonus advantage for the 1 rank in Pres), Equipment 2, Hide in Plain Sight, , Jack-of-all-trades, Quick Draw, Seize Initiative

duelist Talent
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Benefit, Ambidexterity, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Improved Critical: Strength-based Strike 4, Improved Disarm, Power Attack, Takedown 2, Taunt, Weapon Bind

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+6), Athletics 3 (+5), Deception 6 (+7), Expertise: Gambler 6 (+6), Insight 9 (+10), Investigation 9 (+9), Perception 6 (+7), Sleight of Hand 6 (+6), Stealth 9 (+12)

Powers
Rogue specials
Array 8pts
Teleport: Teleport 1 (60 feet in a move action, carrying 100 lbs.; Change Direction, Change Velocity, Increased Mass, Turnabout) 6pts
*Bleed: Weaken 6 (Affects: Stamina, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16) 1 pt linked to slashing attacks
*Blinding strike: Affliction 6 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Limited Degree) 1 pt linked to slashing attacks

Equipment
Leather Armor/ 1 toughness 1 pt, Rapier and Dagger [Strength-based Strike 4, DC 21; Split: 2 targets]

Offense
Initiative +3
*Bleed: Weaken 6, +6 (DC Fort 16)
*Blinding strike: Affliction 6, +6 (DC Fort 16)
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 12)
Sword and dagger: Strength-based Strike 4, +6 (DC 21) crit 19-20
Throw, +0 (DC 17)
Unarmed, +6 (DC 17)

Complications
Enemy: Bounty on my head and a few people who have grudges from beating them in the assasin bounty system.

Identity: He is known by his handle on the forums and on the leader boards. he will offer advice, commit on bugs, abilities issues and skills not working properly but Kalen doesn't tolerate whining because someone cannot play their class well. Every class has strengths and weaknesses and it takes skill to and understanding to be good at this game or any other game.

Motivation: Thrills: Likes the thrill of combat and the challenge of a hard fight.

Prejudice: In the game Kalen gathered alot of bounties on other players. Sometimes he challenged them in a fair fight, sometimes he ganked them after they finished fight with a mob. In the end he tested and mastered the assassin bounty system. While some players hate him and the system for it other players respect and to them it is just part of many systems in the game.

Rivalry: There is another assassin player out there who wants to be number 1 and Kalen is the only player who can match them in skill.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 6, Toughness 5/2, Will 6

Power Points
Abilities 30 + Powers 8 + Advantages 20 + Skills 19 (57 ranks) + Defenses 14 = 91

Background:
Player logs in and awaits the updater to go live. A quick review of the changes of specs, specials and classes pops up on the screen. While the game is updated the player checks the forums for the typical complaints of why can't we do this, or why this class has this and I don't ect. The player shakes his head. He chuckles as he checks the assassin contracts, looks like his rival has offered a bounty for his defeat already. "looks like I will earn some quick levels and rep since I have challenges even before the game starts." thinks the player as he smirks.

He checks a skill calculator and goes over his notes from the previous game. Yes rogues can not wear heavy armor, duh that would negate agility bonus to dodge and lower the parry ability since they can duel wield 1 handed, off hand weapons and daggers. While able to use bows but not as well as rangers rouges have a few talents that annoy the other classes. With the right focus on talents points , specials and gear rogues can keep up with any other class in the game.

Once the update is loaded the player begins making his half-elf rogue. He picks his talents that makes him a duelist spec rogue. His duel wielding ability will annoy and frustrate some people but it is what sets him apart from other players of the same class as they focus on sniper specs. Deadly Aim is a nasty one shot just the same as back stab but 1 shot glass canons are for new players who don't understand other talents combined with specials will make the game much easier.
When the player logs into the game after character creations is finished instead of looking at his toon off the screen of his computer he was looking through the eyes of his character. That is when the newly born Kalen knew something was not right with the game or with him.
Last edited by Shadow13 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

Return to “M&M Game Room”