New Beginnings: The MMO 3E(Pause)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: New Beginnings: The MMO (Recruiting) 3E

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Spectrum wrote:Actually, wouldn't that be the sacrifice flat +1 on the summon?

It would be, but Minions can have the Interpose advantage, which costs nothing but 1 PP on the minion's part. Sacrifice adds to the cost the Summoner pays for the power, and requires the Summoner to spend a HP. On the other hand, if the summoner is in complete control of the minion via the Controlled extra, then Interpose is exceedingly better as the summoner can force the minion to activate it. Having the Sacrifice modifier in reserve is helpfull for getting around Interpose's "once per round" limitation, at the expense of a HP.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Bladewind wrote:
Hound wrote:
Bladewind wrote: Silent Step: Concealment 1 [Auditory; Burst Area, Attack; Limited to noise that he makes],

Complications
Enthralled - The character is completely into the game, believing that he is actually at his computer playing it and nothing bad can really happen to him.

Silent step confuses me, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Enthralled seems like it would be better to have it so your character, so shocked/scared actually believes he IS a cat person, rather than thinking he is still at his console.

:roll:

Now, that eye roll is not directed at Hound in the least. It's another case of me using my assortment of Power Profiles and a power as written doesn't make sense to someone. It's from Sonic Powers, and although they name it Silence, I wanted to have the character able to walk in complete silence.

A counter-wave or suppression field blocks out sound in an area, leaving it completely silent. This does not necessarily nullify sonic powers in the area—see Countering under Sonic Descriptors and White Sound, later in this section, for details.

It has the added benefit of forcing a saving throw as he stalks prey and causing them to not be able to make a sound either... which may be too powerful...

As for the complication, interesting take. I will work it in.

I've also decided that he can't take human form yet. He can take cheetah form or stay in beastkin form. It feels like too much for what you want as characters. Which leaves me to design the Cheetah.

The way I understand it, all you would need is standard normal concealment hearing power, you don't need it to look so "complicated"
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:02 pm

kenmadragon wrote:So, while rhe characters may not have met in game, us player's know each other by our username handles from previous games? So, would we all be able to Friend chat each other right off he bat, or will we need to find each other in game world to establish the Friend connection? Cuz it may be counterproductive for the intro if we are able to find each other automatically (and gives Xero a chance to RP avoiding us so we don't figure out his goof-up :mrgreen: ).

Telepathy will be disabled during tutorial mission. All players end up in the starting main city for your zone which you all agreed on, you can find them there.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:07 pm

Ah cool.

Are usernames the same as the character name? Or are the username's just "Handles" while we can have separate character names which show up in NPC dialogue? So, people know our character names, but need to Focus to see both username and character name? (Small detail, I know, but I'm curious, and it's a detail I came across while writing my background).

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Kalen De'lance Nightrose

Postby Hound » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Shadow13 wrote:Kalen De'lance Nightrose
Powers
Rogue specials
Bleed: Weaken 6 (Affects: Stamina, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16)
Blinding strike: Affliction 6 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Limited Degree)
Teleport: Teleport 1 (60 feet in a move action, carrying 100 lbs.; Change Direction, Change Velocity, Increased Mass, Turnabout)

Equipment
Leather Armor, Rapier and Dagger [Strength-based Strike 4, DC 21; Split: 2 targets]

Complications
Enemy: Bounty on my head and a few people who have grudges from beating them in the assasin bounty system.

Prejudice: In beta Kalen gathered a lot of bounties on other players. Sometimes he challenged them in a fair fight, sometimes he ganked them after they finished fight with a mob. In the end he tested and reported the pros and cons of assassin bounty system to the Dev team.

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 5, Toughness 5/2, Will 4

1. I assume your Bleed, Blinding Strike, and Teleport are an array based of your power point costs at the bottom, but its better to make this visually clear. Tell me when a power is an alt effect.

Suggestion, for free you are able to Link Bleed and Blinding Strike to "Blade Damage" so when ever you use a dagger or sword weapon, you get both damage and affliction!

2. Please clearly state how much toughness your leather armor offers.

3. There was no Beta, however there was "World at War" which was the precursor game to the new game "New Beginnings" which is how all of the cast will know each other. You can have a reputation from there.

4. Final point, your fort and Will are under cap. I won't force you to change this, but I recommend that they total 12, otherwise affliction attacks will be dangerous for you.

Edit: Total nit pick but I think your character would be better called a "Swashbuckler" lol he looks very pirate-like which is really cool.
Last edited by Hound on Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:12 pm

kenmadragon wrote:Ah cool.

Are usernames the same as the character name? Or are the username's just "Handles" while we can have separate character names which show up in NPC dialogue? So, people know our character names, but need to Focus to see both username and character name? (Small detail, I know, but I'm curious, and it's a detail I came across while writing my background).

You are to have 1 Name. That is your "game" or "account name" this is the name people see floating over your head when they "Focus" on you or add you to a friend list.

You are free to tell your friends your true name, but that will not be required.
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Harry Ham Bone wrote:Name: Seren Wiltleaf

This is better, however as an FYI it costs 18 points for your curse.

If you made it just a Ranged Weaken, it costs 12. You spend 3 Points on adding +6 to "Curse array" and that only totals 15.

Now you have 3 points left over to make 3 alternate attacks. True you have to roll to hit people, but it gives you some more options in combat.

I also recommend adding interpose to your minion.

Finally, please edit and erase all your "updates" for your character, and post the new finished character in your "original character sheet" and from now on just update that sheet. When you make changes, just post reply with "Hey I updated my sheet, here's a link" and link us to that post. Its must easier than seeing the same character posted 6 times.
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:21 pm

All players, take 5 minutes and add some fluff to your character if you already haven't. (I know some of you have)

I'm talking Height, Weight, Hair, Eyes, Race, and make sure you clearly label your Class/Subclass

Some of you have a photo, but that doesn't tell other characters if they are looking down, up, or eye to eye with you.

Thank you, it just makes sure everyone is on the same page
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:27 pm

One last note.

I don't know if I was clear or not, however there are dozens, maybe even hundreds of possible Sub-class/Jobs out there available. So don't feel like you are limited to the list I made.

I added a line to make sure people know this in the Opening Post.

Also, a big thank you to Bladewind for creating a Character submission list. I have updated it and added it to the opening post.

I will continue to update the opening post with information I have since clarified later in the thread, but if I miss anything, feel free to let me know either here or in a PM.
My Characters

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:29 pm

Hmn... Should I use D&D's Vital Stats page for my half elf? Or would that be inaccurate to the game world? In D&D, elves are said to be shorter on average than the average human, where in LotR, they are on par or taller then humans, for example.

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Shadow13 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:29 pm

Hound wrote:
Shadow13 wrote:Kalen De'lance Nightrose
Powers
Rogue specials
Bleed: Weaken 6 (Affects: Stamina, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16)
Blinding strike: Affliction 6 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Limited Degree)
Teleport: Teleport 1 (60 feet in a move action, carrying 100 lbs.; Change Direction, Change Velocity, Increased Mass, Turnabout)

Equipment
Leather Armor, Rapier and Dagger [Strength-based Strike 4, DC 21; Split: 2 targets]

Complications
Enemy: Bounty on my head and a few people who have grudges from beating them in the assasin bounty system.

Prejudice: In beta Kalen gathered a lot of bounties on other players. Sometimes he challenged them in a fair fight, sometimes he ganked them after they finished fight with a mob. In the end he tested and reported the pros and cons of assassin bounty system to the Dev team.

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 5, Toughness 5/2, Will 4

1. I assume your Bleed, Blinding Strike, and Teleport are an array based of your power point costs at the bottom, but its better to make this visually clear. Tell me when a power is an alt effect.
Yes let me reformat it since hero lab is making confusing outputs.
Array 8 points
Rogue Specials
*Bleed: Weaken 6 (Affects: Stamina, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16) 1pt
*Blinding strike: Affliction 6 (1st degree: Impaired, 2nd degree: Defenseless, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 16; Limited Degree) 1pt

Suggestion, for free you are able to Link Bleed and Blinding Strike to "Blade Damage" so when ever you use a dagger or sword weapon, you get both damage and affliction!
*That was my intention when I made this build, but I haven't found a way to figure out a "cooldown effect" but thank you for the advice.

2. Please clearly state how much toughness your leather armor offers.
Leather Armor is toughness 1.

3. There was no Beta, however there was "World at War" which was the precursor game to the new game "New Beginnings" which is how all of the cast will know each other. You can have a reputation from there.
I can change that around pretty easy, i was wanting to make something different than what the other people have submitted an figured an assassin bounty system would be something cool to work into the background of the build since he is a rogue.

4. Final point, your fort and Will are under cap. I won't force you to change this, but I recommend that they total 12, otherwise affliction attacks will be dangerous for you.
*I will crunch some numbers and see what i can do.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Ooh, I had a neat idea on how to explain Hero Points in this setting:
"Surging" is a game mechanic that allows the player to access certain non-rote abilities, power themselves, or mitigate/ignore status conditions, but you have to build up a "Surge Meter" to use it. (Surge Meter is basically your Hero Point total). "Surge" has limited usages, but happens instantaneously, and sometimes without conscious activation.

Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Last edited by Harry Ham Bone on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Shadow13 wrote:*That was my intention when I made this build, but I haven't found a way to figure out a "cooldown effect" but thank you for the advice.
You don't need a cool down effect, but if you want one, you can add "1/r Limit: Can not be used consecutively, only once every 2 turns.
Leather Armor is toughness 1.
Just make sure you make that clear in your character sheet
I can change that around pretty easy, i was wanting to make something different than what the other people have submitted an figured an assassin bounty system would be something cool to work into the background of the build since he is a rogue.
Again he looks like a swash buckler =p
I will crunch some numbers and see what i can do.
Cool.
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Harry Ham Bone wrote:I can't figure out how to delete posts, so I'm just going to post my final draft.

just edit and delete all these extra character sheets and leave a . inside the post, so you only have a single character sheet in the whole thread.
My Characters

Return to “M&M Game Room”