Marvel/DCU crossover: The Rift (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Marvel/DCU crossover: The Rift (3e Recruiting/Interest)

Post by Shadow13 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:35 pm

The Kryptonian wrote:Hey Shadow,

Question for you, since my young Darkseid build is going to be centered around Xavier & the X-Men, since he will have been mind wiped 1 1/2 years ago after the conclusion of the event. I was going to have Wolverine be one of the heroes to suggest not just killing the young clone outright. But seeing as there are other people submitting some personages, Iron Man & Wolverine specifically, that I don't want to necessarily meta game other peoples characters.

Anyways, just curious where your version of Wolverine would fall in that decision?
Good question. Well since the clone is probaly created to be a weapon Wolverine would be for the clone to mind wiped an allowed to live since the issues Wolverine has with his past with Weapon X and what was done to him against his will.

Also, a couple questions ... why does Wolverine's claws cut Insubstantial? I mean it's your build, but with an iconic character, I don't think he has *ever* been able to hurt Kitty Pride, but it's just me.
His claws effect her at half rank. She is effected when she phases through him. Also when Sabretooth first got his bones bonded back in 1999 it was a huge deal on how the metal effects her.

And from a balance point of view there is NO way Immunity to bludgeoning is 5 points, Blunt attacks are everything from the Hulk, to Thor, to Cap's shield, to Superman's punches, and Flashes super speed attacks. The way I see it is that Immunity to ALL Toughness effects is 80 points, split that four ways between Blunt, Sharp, Piercing & Energy means 20 points each ... again I am not Neo Paladin, but if you can half the effectiveness of almost 75% of attacks against you for 2 points? Just doesn't seem costly enough ...
looks like i should use very common descriptor which is 20 pts, if I decide to keep it. its nice to have but its flavor considering the amount of damage he takes from bruisers all the time.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:11 pm

The Kryptonian wrote:Hey Shadow,

Question for you, since my young Darkseid build is going to be centered around Xavier & the X-Men, since he will have been mind wiped 1 1/2 years ago after the conclusion of the event. I was going to have Wolverine be one of the heroes to suggest not just killing the young clone outright. But seeing as there are other people submitting some personages, Iron Man & Wolverine specifically, that I don't want to necessarily meta game other peoples characters.

Anyways, just curious where your version of Wolverine would fall in that decision?

Also, a couple questions ... why does Wolverine's claws cut Insubstantial? I mean it's your build, but with an iconic character, I don't think he has *ever* been able to hurt Kitty Pride, but it's just me.

And from a balance point of view there is NO way Immunity to bludgeoning is 5 points, Blunt attacks are everything from the Hulk, to Thor, to Cap's shield, to Superman's punches, and Flashes super speed attacks. The way I see it is that Immunity to ALL Toughness effects is 80 points, split that four ways between Blunt, Sharp, Piercing & Energy means 20 points each ... again I am not Neo Paladin, but if you can half the effectiveness of almost 75% of attacks against you for 2 points? Just doesn't seem costly enough ...
Agreed here, it's a very broad descriptor. Bludgeoning is 20 points, half effect would make it 10 points.

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Walking Dad » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:34 pm

Kitty is hurt by very dense objects passing through her... but I think this should be a trait related to her power not a universal trait for adamantium stuff. I never saw Wolverine cutting ghosts, for example.

With all those Team 7, Weapon X and super-soldiers around, maybe I should reconsider my character choice to better fit in...

Neo-Paladin, are you looking for a theme or more for diversity in this game?
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:43 pm

I am looking to give players the option to play the characters they enjoy playing :) If it leads to a theme, fine, if it lends itself to more variety, just as good :)

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Post by XeroKhan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:15 am

Alright, I dug a bit around, and came up with this:
On Martian Manhunter: Being hired by a cloaked figure to assassinate the newer Martian Manhunter, Deadshot went to Australia to begin his hunt. There, he learned of this "Dreamtime Spirit" and attempted to set up a trap. Once the trap was set, there was the patience of waiting for the Martian. Right before the encounter, the cloaked figure appeared and uncloaked himself, revealing him to be a faceless alien pirate sent to kill the young Martian. As the two began talking, Deadshot lost his chance at capturing the newer Martian Manhunter, and Deadshot became ticked off at missing his chance, and the alien fired him for an "Incomplete Task", resulting in Deadshot killing that alien. (Note: That faceless alien pirate worked for Thanos.)

Iron Man: (An easy one). Lex was angry at the terrorist's demands for more money, thus resulting in his hiring Deadshot. The Assassin, who took a contract on the terrorists, set out for the Middle East and eventually found those terrorists. As Deadshot began picking them off one by one, Tony Stark was able to use this time to escape with his proto-type Iron Man suit. Contract completed and reward earned.

Wolverine (and Praetorian?): After Dept. H had found out that Wolverine had become Professor X's "bodyguard", they hired Deadshot to kill the Professor and bring back Wolverine. Deadshot's plan would have worked, but was quickly discovered by Professor X's powerful mental senses. Wolverine (and possibly Praetorian) head out to find Deadshot, only to quickly find him and combat ensues. In the end, Wolverine cornered Deadshot, but the assassin was able to knock the Mutant back with a powerful shot to the torso and escaped onto a rented helicopter. There, Dept. H found Deadshot's services too "novice" and ended their contract.
Quasar is very difficult to figure out in terms of Deadshot getting contracts. As for Mnut Nin, I am waiting until fluff has been made for him before figuring something out.

Deathstroke is even easier than Iron Man. The two know each other from common contracts and have worked together at times, despite the two occasionally fighting over who's shot got who.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

jemal
Hero
Hero

Post by jemal » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:08 am

Well Quasar's regular life persona is Wendell Vaughn - Wealthy president of a security firm and ex SHIELD agent.. some possible run ins with deathstroke/deadshot there...
Possibilities:
-They've encountered his security (whether able to bypass it successfully or not).
-He encountered them during his SHIELD days (They may not remember him, but he'd remember them).
-They were hired to kill Vaughn and/or infiltrate his HQ, and were stopped b/c they didn't know he was Quasar and were unprepared for that level of opposition.
-OR, there could just be no connections.. they do travel in different circles, after all.

Shimizu
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Shimizu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:28 pm

I've got several canon heroes I'd be interested in playing, but I'd like to see if the GM or any of the potential players have a favorite of who they'd like to possibly play with:

Batman - PL 9/195 PP
Spider-Man - PL 10/180 PP
Superman - PL 11/165 PP

Given the PL and the fact that some hard-hitters have already been submitted, Superman might be the odd one out, but I figured I'd put him forward. Batman could have issues with working alongside the likes of Deathstroke, Deadshot, and Wolverine, so if players would rather avoid those sort of IC disputes, Spider-Man might be the best pick.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Bombaatu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:34 pm

When is recruiting over and how many slots are you looking to fill?

The Kryptonian
Cohort
Cohort

Post by The Kryptonian » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:24 am

My primary concern with the character, is that in his backstory I was going to write how each of the characters present would react to the discovery of a child of Darkseid, and yet it would mean individually conferring with each player prior to getting the back ground in. Also, as I was the only one who went with an original character, and one who was somewhat decisive I've decided to change my submission.

The Hulk ...

Complications & Background have been added for the new submission. I realize he is a heavily shifted character, so let me know if we need to work on the mechanics. I could dial it back to PL 10, but this build feels about right.

As for Shimizu's question, I'd love to see Superman in the group, it'd help keep the Wolverine and Deathstroke from ganking the baddies left right and center! :) I've also switched out General Ross & Betty Ross, for General Sam Lang, and Lana Lang, and added some Kansas State University Lex Luthor stuff to the background for some ties to the DC Universe.
"Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear ... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share--I'll never stop fighting. Ever."

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Post by Walking Dad » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:22 am

Shimizu wrote:I've got several canon heroes I'd be interested in playing, but I'd like to see if the GM or any of the potential players have a favorite of who they'd like to possibly play with:

Batman - PL 9/195 PP
Spider-Man - PL 10/180 PP
Superman - PL 11/165 PP

Given the PL and the fact that some hard-hitters have already been submitted, Superman might be the odd one out, but I figured I'd put him forward. Batman could have issues with working alongside the likes of Deathstroke, Deadshot, and Wolverine, so if players would rather avoid those sort of IC disputes, Spider-Man might be the best pick.
I have some problems seeing Superman as PL11/165 PP character...
Superboy, Supergirl or some other Kryptonian maybe... this is one of the reasons why I didn't just submitted the Martian Manhunter.
On the other hand, if you do, I maybe change my characters backgrouns :mrgreen:
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Post by XeroKhan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:53 am

The Kryptonian wrote:The Hulk ...
Ooh, this I can work better than Praetorian. Let's see.....
The Hulk: Hired by the military to bring in Bruce Banner, Deadshot went ahead not knowing of what had recently become of the radiation scientist. When Deadshot had his rifle's sights on Bruce and fired, the wind had carried the bullet to his arm and injured the man, causing Bruce to turn into Hulk. Shocked, Deadshot ran off and escaped the Hulk before the brute could find him. Then, Deadshot called up the man that set up the contract to tell him what had happened. The man from the military then said that they knew and that they would pay double if Deadshot could kill the man/monster. It was then that Deadshot waited a day or two before trying a second time to kill the man, and Deadshot lost his target. The contract, however, was still active...
If both Kryptonian and I get in, this would DEFINITELY be a nice complication. Imagine, the Hulk pissed off at Deadshot for "firing" at him and Deashot trying to escape. Beautiful.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Neo-Paladin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:55 am

Bombaatu wrote:When is recruiting over and how many slots are you looking to fill?
Saturday, 4-6 slots

Shimizu
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Shimizu » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:52 pm

Walking Dad wrote: I have some problems seeing Superman as PL11/165 PP character...
Superboy, Supergirl or some other Kryptonian maybe... this is one of the reasons why I didn't just submitted the Martian Manhunter.
That's true. I already knew the lower-end PL might be an issue, but to be fair there's PL 11 Hulk and PL 10 Deathstroke, who is listed as 13 in DCH&V. After some deliberation, I've decided to go ahead with Batman, since there aren't too many games where I can get so many PP to work with and make him a really good skill monkey.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Bombaatu » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:23 pm

XeroKhan wrote:Iron Man: (An easy one). Lex was angry at the terrorist's demands for more money, thus resulting in his hiring Deadshot. The Assassin, who took a contract on the terrorists, set out for the Middle East and eventually found those terrorists. As Deadshot began picking them off one by one, Tony Stark was able to use this time to escape with his proto-type Iron Man suit. Contract completed and reward earned.
I dislike this, as it completely steals Tony's thunder on his escape. If you don't mind a bit of kibitzing, send in Deathstroke as Lex's emissary (in place of when Obidiah Stane 'visited' the terrorists and got the prototype suit). Deathstroke eliminates the terrorists and retrieves the prototype armor.

Shimizu
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Shimizu » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:01 pm

BATMAN (BRUCE WAYNE)
PL: 9 (195 PP)

ABILITIES:

STRENGTH 3, STAMINA 4, AGILITY 5, DEXTERITY 5,
FIGHTING 11, INTELLECT 7, AWARENESS 5, PRESENCE 5

SKILLS:

Acrobatics 6 (+11), Athletics 8 (+11), Close Combat [Unarmed] 4 (+15), Deception 6 (+11), Expertise [Streetwise] 7 (+14), Insight 8 (+13), Intimidation 11 (+16), Investigation 9 (+16), Perception 8 (+13), Persuasion 4 (+9), Ranged Combat [Throwing] 2 (+11), Sleight of Hand 6 (+11), Stealth 10 (+15), Technology 5 (+12), Treatment 2 (+9), Vehicles 6 (+11)

ADVANTAGES:

Assessment, Benefit (Wealth), Contacts, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment 17, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Initiative, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Jack-of-all-Trades, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Skill Mastery 2 (Intimidation, Investigation), Startle, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed

POWERS:

Physical and Mental Perfection: Array
Master Escape Artist: Insubstantial 1 (Extra: Subtle, Flaw: Limited to Escaping)
Master Linguist: Comprehend Languages 3 (Flaw: Quirk [Earth languages])
World's Greatest Detective: Senses 8 (Postcognition, Precognition, Extra: Feature [Substitute Investigation for Perception], Flaw: Limited to Available Evidence)
Dark Knight: Speed 1 (4 MPH), Leaping 1 (15 feet), Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Urban), Movement 1 (Wall-crawling, Flaw: Check Required [Athletics])

EQUIPMENT:

Utility Belt: Array
Flash Bombs: Ranged Burst Area Dazzle 5 (Resisted by Fortitude, Vision Impaired, Vision Disabled, Vision Unaware)
Bolos: Ranged Affliction 5 (Resisted by Dodge, Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized; Extra: Cummulative, Extra Condition, Flaw: Limited Degree)
Explosive Batarangs: Ranged Burst Area Damage 5
Explosive Gel: Burst Area Damage 7 (Extra: Triggered 2 [3 uses])
Batclaw: Move Object 7 (Extra: Damaging, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Flaw: Limited Direction [Towards or Away])
Sleep Gas Pellets: Ranged Cloud Area Affliction 5 (Resisted by Fortitude; Fatigued, Exhausted, Asleep)
Smoke Bombs: Ranged Cloud Area Concealment 4 (Visual, Extra: Attack)
Tear Gas Pellets: Ranged Cloud Area Affliction 5 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed and Visually Impaired, Stunned and Visually Disabled; Extra: Extra Condition, Flaw: Limited Degree)
Cutting Torch: Damage 3 Linked to Weaken 3 (Affects Toughness, Resisted by Fortitude, Extra: Affects Objects, Precise)
Various Batarangs: Strength-based Ranged Damage 2 (Extra: Accurate, Improved Critical, Improved Disarm, Split 2 [3 targets], Variable Descriptor 2 [Technological])

Batsuit
Armor: Protection 2
Cape: Flight 4 (30 MPH, Flaw: Gliding, Wings), Movement 1 (Safe Fall)
Cowl: Senses 5 (Accurate Hearing, Low-light Vision, Infravision, Radio)

Headquarters: Batcave: Size: Huge; Toughness: 12; Features: Communications, Computer, Concealed, Defense System, Dock, Garage, Gym, Hangar, Infirmary, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Power System, Security System, Workshop

Vehicle: Batmobile: Size: Huge, Strength: 9, Speed 6, Defense: 8, Toughness: 12, Features: Alarm 3, Alternate Vehicle [Batpod], Autopilot [+4], Caltrops, Communications, Computer, Hidden Compartments, Navigation System 2, Oil Slick, Remote Control, Smokescreen, Impervious Toughness 7)

Always Prepared: Variable 1 (Any Tool or Skill Equipment, Extra: Free Action, Flaw: Quirk 3 [Limited to 2 equipment points or less])
Grapple Gun: Movement 1 (Swinging), Speed 2 (8 MPH, Flaw: Limited to Swinging)

Handcuffs, Mini-tracers, Rebreather, Flashlight

OFFENSE:

Initiative +9
Unarmed +15 (Close, Damage 3, DC 18)
Batarangs +13 (Ranged, Damage 5, DC 20)

DEFENSES:

Dodge +11, Parry +11
Toughness +7 (+6 without Defensive Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +11

COMPLICATIONS:

Enemy: Batman has a number of recurring foes,such as the Joker, Ra's Al Ghul, Two-Face, etc.
Flashbacks: Batman is sometimes stunned by traumatic flashbacks to the night his parents were murdered, especially in connection to Crime Alley, where the killings took place.
Obsession: Batman is driven to fight crime by the murder of his parents and the promise he made to rid Gotham of the evil that took their lives
Relationships: Although he may appear to be a loner, Batman has a number of important people in his life, including the Bat Family, Alfred Pennyworth (the faithful Wayne family butler) and Police Commissioner James Gordon.
Responsibility: Batman considers Gotham his city and his responsibility.
Secret Identity: Bruce Wayne

BACKGROUND

At 8 years old, Bruce Wayne watched his parents murdered before his eyes. Thomas and Martha Wayne were walking home from the Monarch Theater one night with their son, when they were held up at gunpoint by a mugger who demanded the pearl necklace that Martha was wearing. When Dr. Wayne refused to surrender it, both he and Martha were shot dead in the streets. The killer was a criminal known as Joe Chill. Fortunately, physician and social worker Leslie Thompkins was making a house call that night, and arrived to give loving comfort to the traumatized Bruce. He was then raised on the Wayne Manor estate, with help from the families’ wise and loyal butler, Alfred Pennyworth.

At their gravesite after the funeral, Bruce swore an oath to rid the city of the evil that had taken his parents' lives. A mentally gifted, but sullen child, he had very few friends during his childhood, except for his friend Thomas “Tommy” Elliot, who had also suffered the loss of a parent earlier in life. But Bruce was so focused on his mission, his lack of socialization didn’t bother him at all.

He began his physical and mental conditioning when he was 11 and then intense physical training and weight lifting at age 12. At age 13, he created a strict diet and a biofeedback treatment regimen to enable his body to develop and operate at its most proficient. At age 15, he graduated from high school and shortly thereafter he began his global sojourn, attending courses at Cambridge, the Sorbonne, and other European universities. However, he never stayed long and would often drop out after one semester. By his early-20’s, though, he had earned several degrees, including Criminal Science, Forensic sciences, Computer Sciences, Chemistry and Engineering.

Beyond academia, Bruce successfully acquired various "practical" skills, studying and received training in multiple disciplines under various instructors and in different countries. He trained himself to intellectual and physical perfection and learning a variety of crime-fighting skills, mathematics, physics, mythology, geography, history, gymnastics, disguise, and escape artistry. He learned dozens of martial arts styles, man-hunting, stealth and reconnaissance, hunting under the African Bushman, both traditional and non-traditional healing and even ventriloquism under skilled practitioners. His knowledge of so many varied disciplines has made Bruce Wayne an unconventional and unpredictable individual.

Bruce Wayne returned to Gotham City at 24 ready to fulfill the promise he made to his parents. After a few attempts to apprehend criminals while wearing a ski mask and padded leather jacket met with poor results, he knew he had to reconsider his methods. Despite having all of the skills to fight crime, he still felt that there was something missing. Bruce discovered the answer late one night while sitting in his manor. He recalled his fear of bats as a child after a large one crashed through one of the windows. That inspired him make his appearance resemble a bat's. Bruce designed himself a costume equipped with experimental technology, set up a secret lair in the caves below Wayne Manor, and set out against the crime and corruption that thrived in Gotham City.
Last edited by Shimizu on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 19 times in total.