Infinite New Vindicators [2e] (OOC-full)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Infinite New Vindicators [2e] (recruiting ends 3/22)

Post by Aerlock » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:10 pm

Horsenhero wrote:@Aerlock- Conceptually, I like him and I'll work with you as best I can to get him trimmed down to where he needs to be. I can't say I would be disappointed by using metamorph instead of object mimicry, because Varaibles can be kind of a pain until a base series of most common forms is established. Some, stone-steel-concrete-alloy for example may be so similar as to be nearly identical, except for minor differences. However, what you've posted is certainly a promising base to refine from.
That's exactly what I was hoping for, some outside ideas on different way to do things, since I got stuck with how I was doing it here.

I too like to avoid Variable and all its child powers, it is just too much of a bookkeeping job to keep up with all the possibilities. I went with Alternate Form for that reason but as you can see I ran into a build problem with the Earth/Sand form.

I want to keep his number of forms down to a minimum at the beginning just so I have room to grow. Right now the only other forms I was even thinking about is a Wood form and a Metal form, but I'm not sure how to differentiate them enough from the Earth/Sand form and especially the Stone form since Wood and Metal would be pretty much just variations of hardness/durability on the Stone form.

- Aerlock
awww...I don't have a signature :(
But I do have character(s)!

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:39 pm

It's the tertiary powers and weaknesses that would make the difference. A wood form could have a linked drain toughness/damage effect usable on barriers (basically accelerating the process of how plants burrow up through pavement or climbing vines damage walls). You could vary the degrees of strength and toughness, using density with immovable on stone (being the heaviest of the three), straight enhanced strength for woo and enhanced strength and super-strength for metal. Wood very likely would possess the greatest number of secondary powers beyond strong & tough.

sirzanek
Zealot
Zealot

Post by sirzanek » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Fixed the over cap attack on the Talon Attack for the Storm Hawk Avatar, as well as the mistake about having effectively a prohibited "damage linked to damage" situation with the combination of the Lightning Aura and the Lightning Talons. Instead shifted it so if you touch the Avatar, you are zapped with elemental lightning giving a small chance that you are not only scrambled so you are slowed, but are also exposed to a touch of ancestral memory of fearing the power of the storm so you might get spooked. Honestly, I wouldn't expect anyone to actually fail those saves, but I put it in because I thought it was cool...

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Mooks can fail those saves, which could be important. Anyway, Stormhawk in his final form seems like a character who'd be enjoyable to play...and at the end, that's what we're looking for right? Characters who mesh well together that are fun to play.

Shadow13
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Shadow13 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:55 pm

Ok my term paper is done so now I can focus on number crunching and final look over Juan "Shadow" the urban ninja.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member13977.png[/img][/url]

Nareik123
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Nareik123 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:33 am

Due to a combination of shifts and trying to adapt to windows 8, ive not had time to create a sheet. Ill get cracking when i finish tonight
Demacia! (Garen, The Might of Demacia)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nareik123s Heroes

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:45 am

Aerlock wrote:Golem - PL8
You're going to want to invest in some ranks of Concentration or the first time he gets a bad roll on a save, his form will shut off and he'll be in all sorts of trouble.

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Aerlock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:24 am

Shock wrote:
Aerlock wrote:Golem - PL8
You're going to want to invest in some ranks of Concentration or the first time he gets a bad roll on a save, his form will shut off and he'll be in all sorts of trouble.
That's one of many problems I have with this build. I don't like the build right now and I'm trying to find some other way to do this since all the stuff I want for him in the Earth/Sand form is too expensive currently.

I'm trying to find an alternate way to put him together and not having a lot of luck. Metamorph is almost perfect in regards to effect/descriptor for what I'm trying to do, but its just more points to take out of the build plus I already am over spent on PP and that isn't going to help me there much.

@Horsenhero: Is tomorrows deadline to have the finished version up and posted or to just get the initial builds in?

- Aerlock

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:35 am

Just the deadline for new interest. People who've got rough drafts or even just solid expressed interest, like Nareik who thus far only has the character background up will have more time to polish their builds.

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Aerlock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:33 am

Awesome! Because right now my character is a mess and there's no way I'm gonna get it resolved by tomorrow.

I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and buy the HL 2e packages just so I can save a portfolio with all the different version/attempts to get this guy together. I've been trying to limp along with the freebie but its a pain to have to remember all the little nuances that are different between core 2e and UP.

- Aerlock

sirzanek
Zealot
Zealot

Post by sirzanek » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:21 pm

@Aerlock: Now, I know I am by no means the most knowledgeable of the folks on this thread, but if you are still looking to trim down your forms, I might have a few suggestions. Your Immunity packet might be able to be tightened up. Aging probably not a real issue, as you are going to lose the form when you sleep, right? Also, I don't quite get how the transformation renders you immune to mental effects, but that could (and probably is) just a misinterpretation on my part. You can shave a bit off of sure footed, as the worst penalty that you could run into would be a 3/4 reduction in speed. If you hit a 4/4 reduction in speed, you're in a snare, or something similar. You might be able to swap your sand blast into a strike that takes advantage of your elongation power in that form. Instead of a spray of sand, your arm slams into the target and flows over them with great force until you snap it back?
I know you are not looking to tweak the rock form, but I had a few questions on that. The flying thing confused me. Is he basically jumping, or actually flying but for really short distances? Again, I think it might just be caffeine deprivation making me fuzzy headed.
I really like the way you are setting him up as needing to learn new forms rather than just have anything he wants at his finger tips all the time. Could make for some really cool scenes as he tries things out for the first time.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:40 pm

Well, since the character isn't a psychic of any sort, I'd probably recommend dropping Immunity to Mental Effects, since I can't see the justification for it. As I look over these characters, if I see characters that wander outside my own personal preferences for tight powersets, as opposed to attempts at invincible characters who can do anything and relentless point mining, they'll probably fall toward the back of the preferred cast.

Granted, some folks have a bit of an advantage, like Arthur Eld, who's had the opportunity to listen to me rant on more than one occasion about builds that drive me crazy. Personally, of the builds pitched, I find AE's powerhouse one of my favorites. It's a nice, tight concept that's easy to play and easy to plot for. Plenty of stories can be written for this character without me having to do power gymnastics with villains to ensure they can challenge him. the more "game space" a character's powers/abilites take up, leaving less room for their companions to carve out a unique place of their own, the less likely I am to cast them.

Just something to think about when people are refining their concepts.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:04 pm

As things stand now, there are 8 submissions in some form and a strong statement of interest from MIT, so probably at least nine to consider. 4 of the submissions are finished enough to consider (even if all their points aren't spent). 1 Submission just needs a name and a little background fluff for the character (Prehistoric). 4 are still working out the build.

All in all, a pretty decent selection of characters thus far. Of the finished characters I've got a Powerhouse, 2 energy controllers and a teleporter. The shapeshifter is pretty much finished and the martial arts master is darn close.

I'm a bit surprised at some of the archetypes I haven't seen though. No paragons, psionic, speedster, aquatic character of any sort (in an ocean front city no less), stretching characters, shrinking characters, "move object" types (magnetic, gravity, etc.), no elementals (Golem is pretty close, but he's actually a mimic), density controllers and no probability/reality controllers (usually when mages are forbidden, somebody gets in touch with their inner Scarlet Witch).

For those folks struggling with their concepts, there's a heap of untouched upon potential out there.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:39 pm

As far as origins go...the standard Neo-Sapien born to Neo-Sapien parents or Esper, whose powers just developed are the most common. AEsir and Nephilim are there for those who want powers with a slightly different twist, but, remember NS origins in the Oubliette don't have to be limited to just that. While your powers would derive from one of the standard origins...a characters' backstory could be very different, as Oubliette is an "Infinite Dimensions" setting. A character could be dimension tossed (an exile or accidentally thrown sideways). They could be the last survivor of a destroyed dimension. A traveller from the distant (or not so distant) future, here on a mission...or by mistake. They could be a clone of another NS, cooked up in a lab and programmed with false memories (for whatever reason).

For Golem, if you really wanted to make him different, he could have originally been a projecting Esper or Neo-Sapien, whose body got destroyed, but since his power allowed him to possess inanimate material (shaping it into human form), this could be how he exists now...one animated "statue" after another. That would explain his Immunity to Aging. You could throw the basic Immortality power on there, with the definition of it takes him awhile to make a new (permanent) body out of...stuff. Earth, Sand and Stone is the easiest to to put a durable body together out of, so it is his "go to" material.

If you're looking at a powerset and feel constrained by the power sources, keep in mind those sources can have tweaks in them justified by your backstory. Want to be a cyborg? You're a NS (with a really minor power, with the major powers being cybernetic) tossed back in time and placed in the school because the academy is really the only place around that could deal with you.

For those of you struggling because you want a little extra...something...turn to your origin. If it opens up potential storylines and isn't out of bounds for the campaign, it's likely I'll go for it.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by flynnarrel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:00 pm

I was thinking of a human who was put under a spell/curse by a magic user. A young teen who got too 'hands-on' with the grand daughter of a powerful Transmuter. The old lady cursed the boy to sprout arms all over his body. Now he has to learn how to live as a walking Ball of Arms.

I didn't make him or submit him because I thought it'd be too silly, but I liked his origin.