Infinite New Vindicators [2e] (OOC-full)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Nareik123
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Infinite New Vindicators [2e] (recruiting ends 3/22)

Post by Nareik123 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Understood, thanks for the quick response, I still have several spare pp on A.K.A.S.I. so I will quickly add in the feature for Verbal Communication.

I also added to Jason's Backstory to correctly represent his redesign, with an added section on his description and Complications to his character. I'll link to his backstory at the bottom of my character sheet since they are not on the same page.
Demacia! (Garen, The Might of Demacia)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nareik123s Heroes

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Excellent.

hero4hire
Overlord
Overlord

Post by hero4hire » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Well, the end of today merely signals the end of open recruiting, not the end of character building. Anyone who's expressed a strong interest can still pitch a character. I'm not accepting new interest after today, but there will be a few days after open recruiting ends, for builds to be finalized.
I seem to remember joining a similiar game under you with a character named Denizen who possesed objects.

I think he was PL 9? It has been awhile though. Let me see if I can unearth him and retool...

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Not a problem. I'm not certain how closely he'll resemble Aerlock's material mimic though, since that character isn't complete yet either.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:11 am

OK here's the "as complete as he's going to be" Prehistoric. He's still quite a few points short of 120 but I figure he can grow into those points as the game goes. I can't think of anything else he needs at the moment.
Prehistoric - 113 points - PL 8

Abilities - 7 points
Str - 10 - 0 points
Dex - 9 - -1 points
Con - 10 - 0 points
Int - 14 - 4 points
Wis - 12 - 2 points
Cha - 12 - 2 points

Attack - +2 - 4 points
Defense - +2 - 4 points

Saves - 13 points
Fortitude +4 (+0 Con +4 bought)
Reflex +4 (-1 Dex +5 bought)
Will +5 (+1 Wis +4 bought)
Toughness +3 (+0 Con +3 Uniform)

Powers - 56 points
Morph 4 (Any dinosaur) - 8 points
Alternate Form 9 (Tyrannosaurus) - 45+3 points
Tyrannosaurus - 45 points
-Attack Focus 6 (melee)
-Defense +4
-Con +10
-Str +10
-Strike 3 (Mighty)
-Protection 3
-Super Senses 4 (Low light vision, extended scent, tracking)
-Survival +5
-Intimidation +7
-Fearsome Presence 3
-Speed 1
-No speech, no hands

Ankylosaurus - 39 points
-Attack Focus 4 (melee)
-Defense +2
-Str +10
-Con +10
-Strike 4 (Mighty, Improved Critical)
-Protection 5 (Impervious)
-Super senses 2 (scent, low light vision)
-No speech, no hands

Triceratops/Stegosaurus - 44 points
-Attack Focus 5 (melee)
-Defense +2
-Str +10
-Con +14
-Strike 3 (Mighty, Penetrating, Improved Critical)
-Protection 3
-Super Senses 2 (Scent, low light vision)
-Speed 1
-Immovable 2 (Unstoppable)
-No speech, no hands

Deinonychus - 45 points
-Attack Focus 7 (melee)
-Defense +6
-Str +6
-Con +4
-Reflex +4
-Defensive Roll 2
-Super Senses 2 (low light vision, scent)
-Stealth +4
-Survival +4
-Strike 2 (Mighty, Improved Critical 2)
-Protection 2
-Speed 2
-Leaping 1
-No speech

Skills - 19 points
Climb 4(4)
Concentration 7(8)
Craft(Structural) 3(5)
Diplomacy 4(5)
Drive 2(1)
Gather Information 4(5)
Handle Animal 2(3)
Knowledge(Current Events) 2(4)
Knowledge(Earth Science) 7(9)
Knowledge(History) 6(8)
Knowledge(Life science) 3(5)
Language 7(English-native,Spanish-2, Portuguese-2, Arabic-1, Hindi-1, Thai-1)
Medicine 1(3)
Notice 6(7)
Search 6(7)
Sense Motive 2(3)
Survival 5(6)
Swim 5(5)

Feats - 7 points
Dodge Focus 2
Equipment 5 (NV Uniform: Protection 3, subtle, commlink, cell phone, laptop, stun gun, 4ep unspent)
Luck
Power Attack
Light Sleeper

Forms
Tyrannosaurus
S: 20 D: 9 C: 20 I: 14 W: 12 C: 12
Attack +8 Defense +8 Damage 8
Fort: +8 Reflex: +4 Will: +5 Tough: +8

Ankylosaurus
S: 20 D: 9 C: 20 I: 14 W: 12 C: 12
Attack +7 Defense +6 Damage 9
Fort: +8 Reflex: +4 Will: +5 Tough: +10

Triceratops/Stegosaurus
S: 20 D: 9 C: 24 I: 14 W: 12 C: 12
Attack +7 Defense +6 Damage 8
Fort: +10 Reflex: +4 Will: +5 Tough: +10

Deinonychus
S: 16 D: 9 C: 14 I: 14 W: 12 C: 12
Attack +9 Defense +10 Damage 5
Fort: +6 Reflex: +8 Will: +5 Tough: +6

Complications
-Not your typical teen: David has trouble relating to other teens because he has little to no experience with typical "teen stuff" like hanging out, going to the mall or popular culture.
-Family: David's parents have a hidden agenda that not even he knows about. It may result in his being asked to do things which he doesn't quite understand the reasons for.

David Gordon is the son of a pair of American scientists. His father is a paleontologist and his mother is an archeologist. He grew up traveling more often than not and rarely had a place he could call home for more than a few weeks. The time not spent at digs involved visiting universities seeking funding and sharing findings. When he was 10, David manifested his ability to transform into a human sized dinosaur as a result of a desire for more attention from his parents. It was just after that even that he found out his father had the ability to acquire the traits of various lizards. They theorize that David may work his way up to the same versatility in time. Due to their frequent travels, they've never been found out and have avoided the persecution that has run rampant in the United States. Now that he's of the proper age, David has been sent to the New Vindicators Academy of the Americas to benefit from a more stable learning environment and the opportunity to learn more about his Neo-Sapien abilities.

Unbeknownst to him, David's parents' fossil seeking is actually a cover for a different sort of artifact hunting. They belong to an organization that despises Nephilim and are searching for ancient documents and other items that might help them in their battle against the abominations. They intend for David to be an unwitting source of information on more contemporary Nehpilim activities.

David is a slim, tanned boy of 15 years coming to the school for the first time. He's shy and bookish but not the typical sheltered type. He's well-traveled and comfortable in the most austere surroundings. In fact, he'd be more at ease in the middle of a jungle or on a deserted island than in the school dorm.
Last edited by Shock on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

hero4hire
Overlord
Overlord

Post by hero4hire » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:25 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Not a problem. I'm not certain how closely he'll resemble Aerlock's material mimic though, since that character isn't complete yet either.
Well while coming at it from completely different ways. In practice I would imagine they could end up very similiar. One could touch a brick wall and become a brickman the other could possess the wall and become a brickman.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:34 pm

Okay, well whatever the concept you're planning to go with, I'd like to see finalized apps by weds, 3/26 please.

@Shock- I like Prehistoric.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Infinite New Vindicators [2e] (final builds by 3/26)

Post by Shock » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:24 pm

Horsenhero wrote:@Shock- I like Prehistoric.
Thanks. I'm most happy that I was able to come up with something I like without using a Variable. And I probably would have been over points instead of under if I had used Shapeshift instead.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:44 pm

As far as I know, I'm waiting on finished build/backstories from Manintights, Shadow13, Aerlock, flynnarrel (?) and Hero4hire and that's it. To the best of my knowledge;

El Campeador (Miguel Young) by Arthur Eld
Cooker (Francis Gold) by EnigmaticOne
Merle Tremblay by Arkrite
Stormhawk (Roberto Vega) by sirzanek
Prehistoric (David Gordon) by Shock
Jason Anderson by Nareik123
Taheka (Tamati Stevens) by Gilliam

are all finished. If I missed something or someone, please let me know.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:41 am

Nareik123, I see a couple of things you might want to adjust on your construst:

1) You actually get 30 points back from having 3 attributes at 0. But you need to buy Immunity to Fortitude effects so that comes out as a wash.
2) There's no reason to have the Enhanced Skills as APs because it doesn't cost any extra to have them individually. Also, I'm curious how an electronic AI gives Jason the Diehard feat. How does that work?

Nareik123
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Nareik123 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:29 am

Shock, i appreciate your feed back. Would it help everyone if I included immunity (fortitude) on my character sheet?

As for the Enhanced skills, the idea was A.K.A.S.I controls the implants and Jason's restricts Jasons mind to prevent him going nuts from information overload. The Enhanced feats represent A.K.A.S.I restructuring its dampening on specific subjects, and letting Jason's super intellect partially give him a boost in a select skill or feat, rotating between settings to give Jason maximum flexibilty without overload.

Diehard was supposed to represent A.K.A.S.I using Jasons implants to force him to get up, its an emergency procedure.

I wont lie, these powers do seem a bit gimmicky, and maybe just making them all work at the same time makes more sense, but the idea is the AI is restricting Jason, not enhancing him.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nareik123s Heroes

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:37 am

Well, I don't mind if the A.I. doesn't have "Immunity: Fortitude Effects" on it, and here's why:

While the A.I. will fail every Fortitude save it is subjected to automatically, for an effect to even provoke the autofailed save, it has to have "Affects Objects" on it first. This means most effect won't have a chance of provoking a save in the first place...except for Toughness saves which affect everything (that doesn't have a specific defense against them) by default. Just be aware that any fort. save on a power that affects objects will be auto-failed.

My question though, is this...who built the AI to restrict Jason? If he's an Esper, then he's the only person in his lineage to have this power. If he's an AEsir, then the only one who could have done this to him is his immortal parent and AEsir parents don't stick around, because their ageless nature inevitably causes questions to be asked. If he's a Neo-Sapien (thus his powers are handed down from one parent and are potentially possessed by his siblings as well), why would they do such a thing?

The government couldn't have done it...they don't possess the technology. A.K.A.S.I. is a huge technological leap forward from what is commonly available and even more importantly, affordable for 99.5% of all governments or corporate entities. Remember technology in Oubliette pretty closely mirrors real world tech with a very few exceptions, so governments don't get blasters or power negating collars or advanced A.I.'s or the like in their arsenals.

So, the big question for his origin I guess would be, who created the A.I. to inhibit him and why?

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Aerlock » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:59 am

hero4hire wrote:
Horsenhero wrote:Not a problem. I'm not certain how closely he'll resemble Aerlock's material mimic though, since that character isn't complete yet either.
Well while coming at it from completely different ways. In practice I would imagine they could end up very similiar. One could touch a brick wall and become a brickman the other could possess the wall and become a brickman.
Also Golem is limited (currently) to two forms/materials. The object possessor will have any other form/material out there available. Golem also has a very limited repertoire of powers within his two forms where I can see the object possessor having different powers based on whatever he's possessing.
sirzanek wrote:@Aerlock: Now, I know I am by no means the most knowledgeable of the folks on this thread, but if you are still looking to trim down your forms, I might have a few suggestions. Your Immunity packet might be able to be tightened up. Aging probably not a real issue, as you are going to lose the form when you sleep, right? Also, I don't quite get how the transformation renders you immune to mental effects, but that could (and probably is) just a misinterpretation on my part. You can shave a bit off of sure footed, as the worst penalty that you could run into would be a 3/4 reduction in speed. If you hit a 4/4 reduction in speed, you're in a snare, or something similar. You might be able to swap your sand blast into a strike that takes advantage of your elongation power in that form. Instead of a spray of sand, your arm slams into the target and flows over them with great force until you snap it back?
I know you are not looking to tweak the rock form, but I had a few questions on that. The flying thing confused me. Is he basically jumping, or actually flying but for really short distances? Again, I think it might just be caffeine deprivation making me fuzzy headed.
I really like the way you are setting him up as needing to learn new forms rather than just have anything he wants at his finger tips all the time. Could make for some really cool scenes as he tries things out for the first time.
Horsenhero wrote:Well, since the character isn't a psychic of any sort, I'd probably recommend dropping Immunity to Mental Effects, since I can't see the justification for it. As I look over these characters, if I see characters that wander outside my own personal preferences for tight powersets, as opposed to attempts at invincible characters who can do anything and relentless point mining, they'll probably fall toward the back of the preferred cast.
I was hoping to have a reasonable explanation setup in the background for the Mental Immunity, but thinking about it I changed it to Emotion Effects and Interaction Skills Immunity for the same cost. The thought behind that was that he's not in his flesh and blood body any more so his responses aren't the same any more. I also like the idea of the Strike vs Blast for the attack form. That even works out better for how I mentally had him using the attack.

The Flight is supposed to represent a more controlled Leaping. I want him to be able to jump but have some minor control over his direction while in the air. No going backwards or 90 degree turns or anything but more of a "I'm about to land in that fire/on that bus full of crippled schoolkids, let me change that". I have tweaked it a bit in the latest build to hope fully be a little more self explanatory.

I have updated Golems sheet. It's amazing what having the right version of HeroLab can do for a person. I managed to make Alternate Form work for me. I'm still not entirely happy with the convolutions I needed to make it work, mainly the check required flaw, but the points all line up for now. I'll have a Background and Complications up before the deadline.

- Aerlock

P.S. And I just noticed that Hero Lab didn't output any of the details for the various powers in the Alternate Forms. I'm at work right now so I'm not sure when I'll be able to go back and get them fixed.
awww...I don't have a signature :(
But I do have character(s)!

Nareik123
Zealot
Zealot

Post by Nareik123 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks for the response Horsenhero, i appreciate you explaining the constructs rules regarding the Fortitude.

In regards to the AI, so there is no way that human society could build it then? The fundings not their for any science division to construct? So i guess it would come down to the only technology possible, Aesir technology? In that case, ill need to read up on Aesirs again.
Nareik123s Heroes

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Nareik123 wrote:Thanks for the response Horsenhero, i appreciate you explaining the constructs rules regarding the Fortitude.

In regards to the AI, so there is no way that human society could build it then? The fundings not their for any science division to construct? So i guess it would come down to the only technology possible, Aesir technology? In that case, ill need to read up on Aesirs again.
Well, I can see a couple options for jason getting the AI. 1) One of his parents built it if he's a NS not an Esper.

2) It's AEsir tech. Probably my least favorite option. It's possible, but I sort of see where michuru was coming from when in the first NV game on the boards, he forbid any Nephilim characters.

3) Jason is a time/dimension tossed character from aplace where this kind of tech does exist...or...

4)...this was done to Jason by a time/dimension tossed character from a place where this kind of tech exists.

Of course all of these options beg the question...why? Now with option 3 or 4, this means he was perceived as a threat to somebody, somewhere and that entity still exists and may at some point perceive him as a threat again.

5) Somebody in a government or corporate organization (illegal and black, black, black ops) who possesses this kind of tech (and thus the NS power of hyper-intelligence themselves in order to build it) did this to him. It would be monumentally expensive and secret in the extreme and once again it begs the question...why?

In fact, regardless of what the source of the AI, the big question would be; why was this done? Why is this there to restrict him? What particular danger does Jason represent that other NS's or Espers don't? I mean this sort of thing is in violation of every standard of international human rights and would be a PR disaster for any government involved should it be discovered. Plus, whoever did it, then let Jason go...so what might be the end game?

It's important to remember the basis for the setting. These are UN sponsored schools. The staff and students are public record. Anyone willing to file the correct paperwork (news organizations, law-enforcement, etc.) can get access to names, powers etc. These schools are run to provide structure to super-humans, mostly Neo-Sapiens, because their powers are beyond most educational institutions ability to deal with. Neo-Sapiens are the most common type of super-human and their powers are genetic, handed down from a NS parent. Any siblings the character has can potentially have the same or very similar powers. Unlike the argle-bargle mutants at Marvel, the power trees here follow real genetic probability guidelines. A Magnetic Manipulator isn't going to parent a speedster or a probability manipulator. They would be the parent of a magnetic manipulator because that's the genetic template involved.

Neo-Sapiens are descended (at some point) from Nephilim. After the first generation, the Hellfire control disappears, leaving the single "unique" powerset that Nephilim possessed to be handed down to future generations as a NS ability.

While Michuru doesn't specifically express it, AEsir immortality (in my mind) also disappears after the first generation leaving the single unique powerset developed to be handed down as a NS bloodline.

This is just my longwinded way of saying, these characters don't exist in a vaccuum. Characters come from families, all of whom potentially have identical (or very similar) powers to their own.