Infinite New Vindicators [2e] (OOC-full)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Manintights
Partisan
Partisan

Re: Infinite New Vindicators of the Americas [2e] (recruitin

Post by Manintights » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:35 am

wow man, you guys sure are fast with chearning out characters!
Thanks for the welcome Horsenhero, it feels good to be back on the boards (although Í've always kept reading up on the adventures in the oubliverse. I'm ready for a comeback though, so that's why I'm applying to a couple of games. Oubliette being my favorite setting ever ( I still run a bi-weekly New vindicator campaign back home) I'd love to throw my hat into the ring.

I'm still on the fence about which of my two fitting concepts I'd like to stat up and submit for this game.
On the one hand, I have a concept for a girl from Suriname who's eyes exude green Hellfire. Her Mother is an esper with control over other people's emotions. When using her powers Philomena is covered in a green hellfire exoskeleton, somehow more in tune with her demonic side. A natural beauty, combined with control over others' emotions makes most guys lust for her.

My other concept is That of a boy from Entre Rios, a german colony in Argentina. His grandparents moved before WW2 ended and decided to settle in Latin America. Ostracised due to his appearance, the obese youth spent most of his time allone. In desperate need of companionship his powers manifested. Able to summon all kinds of mystical and magical beings, with his imagination being the only limit. I plan to take this character to be almost completely inefficient in combat himself, but with fairly powerfull minions.

Please let me know what character would fit your setting more, and I'll start crunching the numbers.
"As my father taught, 'Training will raise your shield to the blow, but courage fills the gaps the shield leaves open.'"

Play by post games:

New Vindicators: [Gae Bolg]

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arkrite » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:20 am

Horsenhero wrote:It's kind of too bad Merle's Defensive Roll is part of a power, as opposed to just a regular Feat. If it weren't an enhanced trait, then it would stack with equipment and his uniform could cost a whole lot less, freeing up some PP. Then again, he hasn't spent all his starting power points anyway, so it's not a huge deal.
Yeah, well, I could have made him more efficiently and saved up on a bunch of power points but I was aiming for him to be pretty much dependant on his powers.

Also I'm not exactly sure what to do with the remaining points I already have ;~)

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:41 am

@Manintights- The Hellfire controller would probably be easier to deal with since numbers can be an issue during mass engagements, but, a summoner could work depending on what he was summoning and the potential number of the summoned minions.

@Arkrite- I figured as much. That's why I shrugged it off. I mean, it isn't like this is your first rodeo.

sirzanek
Zealot
Zealot

Post by sirzanek » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:24 am

Ok, still have to crunch numbers, but I wanted to get the story part of things up. Here is Stormhawk...

Roberto Vega spent the first five years of his life quietly living in a small village in the heart of Bolivia. His mother took care of him and his little sister Emilia, while his father… well, he wasn’t really sure what his father did. Everyone in the village seemed to respect him, though some seemed to have more than a touch of fear for the gentle looking man. Every so often, when the dry season was dragging on too long or the rainy season would not stop, Roberto’s father would leave the house for a few hours. Invariably, the weather would be different when he returned.

Then came the day when the businessmen came. Roberto and Emilia were told to go to their rooms and not come out for any reason. There was arguing, loud arguing. The men left, but Roberto’s parent seemed frightened, even though they tried to act as if everything was alright. The next day, Roberto’s father was found dead on the outskirts of the village, two bullets in the back of his head. Roberto and his family left the village that night. As they fled through the jungle towards the city, Roberto asked his mama why his father was not with them. His mother replied, shedding a tear, “Some things you just have to accept, Berto”

For the next ten years, the family moved all over South and Central America, staying with friends and extended family. Things would be OK for a while, then without warning they would up and move. When he asked why they had to keep moving and leaving all of their friends behind, Roberto’s mother simply said, “Some things you just have to accept, Berto.”

Roberto’s fifteenth birthday saw the family settled in Puerto Rico. Things had been quiet for the longest time that he or his sister could remember. Then came the hurricane. It was going to be bad, there was no question. People were being told to evacuate, and once again they were leaving their home. On the street, Roberto was angry, angrier than any one had seen him. “Why, are we always moving? What is so terrible that we can never find a home? A storm? Papa never feared the storm!” That made Roberto’s mother pale. “There are some things you need to know, but now we have to move,” she hollered over the wind. “There are some things you just have to acce-“ and that is when the tree fell. Roberto’s mother had just enough time to push Emilia towards Roberto and safety, but could not avoid being crushed. Roberto snapped. He would not accept this. He raged against the storm. Literally. Wings of crackling lightning and dark grey storm cloud erupted from his back and carried him into the sky, where he screamed. All at once, the storm slowed, and then stopped altogether, as if a second eye had formed in the midst of the hurricane. Roberto dropped to the ground, wings having vanished. He was woozy, and blood was dripping from his nose. A few rescue workers had seen his display of obvious Neo-Sapien power and brought both of the Vega children to the police.

Three months, and more than a few bizarre weather out bursts later, and Roberto is being sent to the New Vindicators Academy to try to get control of his storm powers. After some digging, it turns out that he is the seventh generation of what the village called their Rain Talkers. Every generation, the previous Rain Talker would take his only son into the storm and teach him how to quietly listen to the skies and then how to call forth the weather that the village needed. Emilia is actually the first second child in a Rain Talker family that anyone is aware of, so no one really knows what is going to become of her. As she has yet to manifest any abilities, she has been put into a foster home with a family sympathetic to Neo-Sapiens. Due to the heightened emotional state Roberto was in when his powers manifested, they take on a much stormier tone than his father’s. Going through his mother’s journal, which was recovered after the storm, he found that the men who came to see his father, and he surmised ultimately killed him, were representatives of a local drug cartel. They wanted Vega to alter the weather around their competitor’s crops and ruin them. His refusal did not go over well. Roberto’s public display might have put him on their radar…

Personality: Roberto is extremely protective of his sister, and tries to call her at least every other day to check up on her. Though he wants nothing more than to establish a group of close friends, his history with constant moves makes it hard for him to open up. His one giant red button is being told to accept something, or that “that’s just the way it is”. This does not sit well with Berto, and he will aggressively challenge people until something has been explained to his satisfaction. Other than that, he is actually a fairly charming and polite young man.
It has been noted by his case workers that his mood is very closely tied to the local weather, though which way that causal relationship works has yet to be determined. Spikes in his emotions have been noted to cause sudden gusts of wind, thunder claps, or temperature fluctuations. None of these are within his control, nor does he even notice them half of the time.

Appearance: Standing 5’10”, 165 pounds, Roberto is not really super distinct. He keeps his black hair just long enough to be fashionably messy, is moderately good looking though nothing special, and dresses mostly in casual clothes in a variety of grays and blues. His one quirk is his watch. It is an old wind up analog that was his great grand father’s, handed down to all of the Vega men. He has had it since his father’s funeral, and never is without it.

Name: Roberto Vega
Codename: Stormhawk

Str: 10(+0) Dex: 16(+3) Con: 14(+2) Int: 14(+2) Wis: 10(+0) Cha: 14(+2)
Fort: +7 Ref: +6 Will: +3 Toughness: +7/+5 without Defensive roll/+2 Without Dodge or Armor
Attack: +4/+6 Unarmed or Grappling Defense: +6/+9 Storm Avatar (+2 flat footed)

Skills: Acrobatics 2 (+5), Bluff 4 (+6), Computers 2 (+4), Concentration 1, Diplomacy 4 (+6), Gather Information 2 (+4), Language Spanish (Native), Language English 4 (Perfect), Language Portuguese 2 (Poor), Notice 6, Perform Singing 4 (+6), Perform Guitar 2 (+4), Search 4 (+6), Sense Motive 5, Stealth 4 (+7), Swim 2, Knowledge Pop Culture 6 (+8), Knowledge Current Events 4 (+6), Knowledge Art 2 (+4)

Feats: Equipment 1 (Protective Uniform from the School), Ultimate Effort: Counter, “New Kid” Combat Style- Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 2, Grappling Block, Improved Block, Grappling Finesse, Attack Specialization: Grappling, Attack Specialization: Unarmed, Improved Initiative

Powers:

Call the Storm: Mix and Match Environmental control 8 (4/rank). Available choices Distraction (1-3), Hamper Movement (1-2), or Visibility (1), Extra: Independent +0, Feat: Reversible (33 points + 7 AP)
--AP Wind Talons: Move Object 16 (Drawback 1/2 strength for grappling checks and throwing damage -2, Accurate 2, Increased Range 1)
--AP Vortex Cage: Snare 8 (Regenerating and Transparent Extras, Accurate 1)
--AP Thunderclap: Dazzle Auditory/Visual 8 (Burst Area)
--AP Sky Sculpting: Create Objects 8 (Limited Outdoors Only), Strato-Shield (Enhanced Dodge 3), Storm-Hawk (Strike 8 with Accurate 2, Blast 6 with Accurate 1 and Reduced Range -1)
--AP Wind Cloak: Trip 8 (Touch Range, Sustained Duration, Aura, Knock back Extras, Extended Reach 1)
--AP Gale Force: Trip 8 (Touch Range, Cone Area, Knock Back Extras, Knock Back feat 2, Improved Trip)
--AP Unleash the Storm: Alternate Form 16 (Projection, Fades, Total Fade, Side Effect -2*, 80 points for Storm Hawk Avatar). Insubstantial 2 (10 points), +4 Fly (8 points), Strike 8 (Affects Corporeal, Accurate 1, 17 points), Paralyze 2 (Sustained Duration, Aura, Affects Corporeal, Penetrating, Flaw Slow Only, 12 Points) LINKED Emotion Control 2 (Touch Range, Aura, Fear Only, 1 point), Enhanced Feats 7 (Takedown Attack 2, Moving Feint, Move by Attack, Dodge Focus 3), Environmental Control 5 (Touch Range Distraction 3, Hamper Movement 2, and Reduced Visibility) *Side Effect: When the duration runs out or the Avatar is recalled willingly, Roberto's body and mind are wracked with trying to contain the fury of the tempest. He is immediately subject to Paralyze 8 LINKED Stun 8 LINKED Fatigue 8 LINKED Nauseate 8 (All Will Saves).

Tempest Wings: Flight 3 (6 Points)

Immunity 2: (Cold and Hot environmental conditions)

Attributes 18 + Saves 11 + Combat 16 + Skills 15 + Feats 12 + Powers 48 = 120
Last edited by sirzanek on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:07 am, edited 5 times in total.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:58 am

@Sirzanek- Niiiiice.

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Shock » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:56 am

Arkrite wrote:Real Name: Merle Tremblay
Height/Weight: 6'11/147 lbs
Get this man a sandwich, stat! make it a double!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:39 am

Horsenhero wrote:Cooker is pretty cool (heh). A pretty basic blaster with plenty of room to grow powerwise. Kind of a psionic cyclops. He definitely fits the mold of a SPB whose powers have recently manifested. Powerful, but limited.

Microwave Control effects are generally divided up between damaging effects and dazzles and nullify effects directed at radio senses/electronics. I could also see developing Radar as a Super-Sense.
Also, apparently by UP, Radar is mechanically the same thing as the default Radio Sense. In other words, Cooker's Radio Sense is Acute, Accurate, Radius and Ranged. So even better, it can replace loss of visual senses in combat. :D
Impeach the peach!

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:00 am

How did that happen at 2pp less? His Radio Sense is only 2pp, while Radar is 4pp, so there must be something wrong with your calculations.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:38 am

Horsenhero wrote:How did that happen at 2pp less? His Radio Sense is only 2pp, while Radar is 4pp, so there must be something wrong with your calculations.
UP says that Radio Sense by default is Ranged, Radius, and Accurate. Page 84.
Impeach the peach!

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:11 pm

EnigmaticOne wrote:
Horsenhero wrote:How did that happen at 2pp less? His Radio Sense is only 2pp, while Radar is 4pp, so there must be something wrong with your calculations.
UP also says Radar is a 4pp sense. So, Radar is a 4pp sense.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Arthur Eld » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:13 pm

I meant to say so before, but i really dug that bit about the uniforms, HH. I love little setting details like that.

I also liked the evolving/devolving NS legacy you mentioned.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:20 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:I meant to say so before, but i really dug that bit about the uniforms, HH. I love little setting details like that.

I also liked the evolving/devolving NS legacy you mentioned.
Thanks. I would have written more legacy lines right away, only it was late and I was whupped. I will get more up though. Probably mostly local-ish (no europeans or asians).

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by EnigmaticOne » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:35 pm

Horsenhero wrote:
EnigmaticOne wrote:
UP also says Radar is a 4pp sense. So, Radar is a 4pp sense.
So there will be room for more upgrades then.
Impeach the peach!

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Horsenhero » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:45 pm

I imagine. Because by description, a police scanner is accurate, ranged, radio hearing and it isn't a substitute for Radar in any way shape or form. I'm not certain whether they forgot to consider Radar requiring those attributes for an entire sense group or whether they forgot to include acute and analytical under their description of radar, since while accurate allows you to target someone you can't see, it isn't acute, so you don't know one target from another. I'm not certain. All I know is a radio is not radar.

sirzanek
Zealot
Zealot

Post by sirzanek » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:22 am

Ok, added the actual mechanics info for Stormhawk. Probably some issues that need to be tweaked that I missed but the more astute folks will be able to point out. His "combat style" is derived from having moved around so much and always being the new kid, he has gotten pretty good at dissuading bullies without doing anything that could land him in too much hot water for punching another student.